• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

OZ Interview Thread - #1 Kas + Corpsecreate

Muzga

Smash Ace
Kas- How often do you play?
Corpsecreate- i noticed you came 13th in melee singles. How did you find the melee scene over east?

Scrubs

Smash Lord
Kas: Come play smash with Josh, Bryce and I on friday?

Corpse: How do you think the rest of perth would have done at rocky had they attended?

Corpsecreate

Smash Lord
Corpse: How did you end up choosing Toon Link as your main and not Link? :mad:
I never particularly liked Link in the 64 smash or melee, I didn't really enjoy Young Link in melee either. I chose to main Toon Link pretty much immediately after I played him after unlocking him through 400 VS Matches. His playstyle and moveset made me feel comfortable playing him (unlike Peach...ugh!) and I've been maining him ever since. His tier list placing meant nothing to me (there wasn't even a tier list released when I unlocked him), I simply mained him because I enjoyed playing him.

Corpse: What are your thoughts on Toon Links tier placement? Do you think his overall placement will change in future tier lists?
I would say Toon Link is placed near where I imagine he should be. Although he is a tricky character fight against, he doesn't quite have whats needed to make it into the top 8 mark, say a chaingrab or an insane kill move with massive range (I'm looking at Snakes Utilt here). He has difficulty getting the kill move in and is a pretty light character, I think its these 2 things that hold him back from going higher up in the list.

As for the future, I think if TL was represented well by players and people started taking notice of the character itself, Toon Link COULD rise to about as high as 11th or 12th place, anything higher than that would be rather optimistic I'd say.

Corpse: What are your thoughts on the scenes growth both in Perth and from your experience in Rocky_?
Perth is a roller-coaster ride when it comes to growth. We've had tournaments as low as 8 players but we've also had tourneys of 30+. Our numbers fluctuate a lot and I cant help but feel that some of our more average/lower placing players don't really try to further their gameplay to become more of a threat. I'm sure the same holds for all tournaments everywhere, theres always that group that enters the tournament not to win but simply to be a part of the tournament.

When it comes to skill level, I would say the skill level of the average player over east is higher than what we have in Perth although the top players of both are neck and neck. I mean, the finals at Rocky was me vs Tibs and he beat me in 1 of the games (in a kind of stupid way :p) and just 2 days ago, Vlade beat me in 2 games. I actually lost more matches overall in our small tournament of 14 people (I lost 4 I think) than I did at Rocky with 84 people (where I lost 2). Although it is true to say that Perth has FAAAR more experience against my Toon Link than anyone else does but the statement still stands.

Corpse: why TL and not mk or snake? like i know u use snake for doubles but your snake could be soo much better if u used him in singles all the time.
You're probably right. Snake outperforms TL in singles (and doubles), I dont dispute this. The reason I play Snake at all is again because I enjoy the characters playstyle and moveset. I decided to secondary Snake after I had chosen Toon Link as my main. I think the 2 characters compliment eachother very well. The reason I don't play him in Singles (I actually do play him in Singles sometimes) is because personally I perform better with Toon Link, my experience and understanding of Snake's techniques is limited and this plays a part in why I choose Toon Link over him.

Corps: why not use TL in teams
I actually do use him in teams from time to time. Wether I play Toon Link or Snake depends on the characters of my opponents and the stage that has been chosen. I make a decision on who to play based on this. I generally prefer Snake in Doubles because in my opinion, killing ability is more important than damage racking in a match where theres 4 people that can all hit eachother. Not to mention that C4 sticking people owns :)

Corpsecreate: What do you think attributed to your win at Rocky?
Before heading over to Rocky I considered what stages to ban/counterpick against specific characters. I also took some time to see on youtube the playstyle of a few players (Amaterasu, Tibs, Shaya, Tedeth, D0N) to see the holes in their playstyle and hopefully exploit their weaknesses. I think this helped...to an extent, watching 2 people fight eachother on youtube isn't good enough because their playstyle drastically changes when they are fighting you. I think the one thing that helped most in winning Rocky was staying patient in all my matches and mentally blocking out any anti-Corpse promoters yelling in the background. Cracking under pressure is the first step to losing and I made sure this didn't happen.

Corpsecreate- i noticed you came 13th in melee singles. How did you find the melee scene over east?
I'm not as good at Melee as I used to be although I do remember how good Ryan (Bringer) was at melee and how I faired against him. I could get him down maybe 2 stocks when I was playing my best and at Rocky, in my less experienced melee state, I was getting 4 stocked by some of the better players. The only real comparison that can be drawn between Perth and the east is that over east there is still quite a bit of interest in melee. In Perth, the Melee scene is pretty much dead.

Corpse: How do you think the rest of perth would have done at rocky had they attended?
I think Vlade would have placed well. I think his Falco would have been VERY difficult to deal with since from what I saw, there was nobody at Rocky that plays Falco like Vlade does. Richard7 (my brother) would most likely not place very well simply because he doesn't play his best when at tournaments. He actually plays quite a bit worse, he misses opportunities and generally makes bad decisions a lot more often in tournament situations. As I said earlier, the skill of an average Perth player is below that of the east and as such I dont think the majority of players would have placed highly.

Corpse - what do you think about when playing?
I watch my enemy. I think about what they are thinking and I try and counter their decisions. Understanding the patterns of your enemy is extremely important and I do my best to learn my opponents playstyle as quickly as possible and adjust my playstyle accordingly.

Ok, can I get back to studying for my test tomorrow now? :)

Corpsecreate

Smash Lord
Both: If you could add a character to the brawl cast, who would it be?
Godot.

Why did both of you decide to play smash competitively?
I am a competitive person by nature, I enjoy playing Brawl and so naturally I play it competitively. I started attending tournaments because fighting my 2 brothers over and over doesn't further my gameplay and it doesn't allow me to compare my skill to other people. The first Brawl tourney I won was a gametraders tournament with 4 players, 10 stocks, 10 minutes and final smashes only on as items. I won that purely by employing tactics to stay alive and even though it wasnt a very 'fair' ruleset for a tournament I enjoyed meeting new people with their own unique playstyles. From there I attended every local tournament there was.

Vyse

Faith, Hope, Love, Luck
BRoomer
Yo Corpsecreate. People are posting questions for an interview to be put together.

You're not supposed to answer them yet!!!

:)

Technodeath

Smash Champion
I cant help but feel that some of our more average/lower placing players don't really try to further their gameplay to become more of a threat.
being that objection 5 was my first tournament in perth, not knowing what anyone was like in terms of skill level compared to myself, versing you in the first round was a big wake up call. i only got you down one stock in one of two matches and even at that it was by you accidentally screwing your recovery up.

none the less, since then I've been doing as much as i can within my own willpower to get better, so i can place better and pose more of a threat to the higher placers in the Perth tournaments, as i hope to do in future tournaments i attend.

AS for a question.. for both i suppose, Do you oftenly have trouble reading / predicting your opponents?

Attila_

The artist formerly known as 'shmot'
BRoomer
kas: do you care about the frequent usage of the word 'gay' or 'gayed' in smash?

corspe: what are your opinions of the east coast? not just in ability, but also the kinds of people and their personalities, especially in comparison to WA.

Bsrk_

Smash Ace
It's fine i'll clean this all up after the questions are finished and get a fresh start on our next interviewee_ Now that everyone has a general idea on what is required of them etc_

Corpse thanks for prematureley answering the questions_ If you could refrain from the next few it would be great_ I will send both you and Kas a PM with a collection of all the questions to be answered_ Any stupid questions i won't even bother sending to you to answer_

To everyone else_ Keep it to questions primarily_ Any more spam and i will be requesting bans_ I do need to collect and send your questions to be answered so i would rather not have to filter through rubbish_

You still have time to ask questions_ If i see nothing else posted over the next few days then i will cut question time short_

D0N

Smash Ace
2 for both::

If you could have any superpower, what would it be?

What's better; always placing 1st in a tourney with no real competition, or always having great competition but never placing 1st.

Jupz

Smash Master
Good answer corpse. I just think about too many things while playing and it clouds my mind.

Who is your fave doubles character to team with?

CAOTIC

Woxy
BRoomer
Alright, I've been called in here to be a hardass. I'm not nice like Vyse. I'll straight up infract/ban anyone as necessary. You know when to not cross the line. Follow Bsrk's instructions and the rules of this forum if you want to stick around.

Enjoy ~

Sirias

Smash Champion
If there are any more questions about my sexuality or anything of the sort, I seriously don't mind at all.
Although it's not really inherent to anything here, it's still just for fun.
As long as it's not being cruel or anything. =]

Edit:

By the way, Bsrk, I'm just going to answer all the questions as best I can.
I'll give you all the answers and you can decide which ones are worth putting up and which ones aren't.
And also take out parts of whatever I've said to make it more... to what you want it to be.
Kayyy.

planetstereo

Smash Ace
One more question for kas:
you have a reputation for ownage on your last stock and this is definitely coming through in some of your matches at rocky. What is going through your mind when you switch into this hyper mode? Does something click and you just start playing even better?

True Romance

Smash Ace
Kas - For a brawltard trying to learn melee, what melee specific AT's (ie. wave dashing, dash dancing etc) should be learnt first, and how do you practise your melee skills when you have no other humans to play against?

Corpse - Which MU do you find the most difficult with your TL and why?

Sieg

Smash Champion
One more question for kas:
you have a reputation for ownage on your last stock and this is definitely coming through in some of your matches at rocky. What is going through your mind when you switch into this hyper mode? Does something click and you just start playing even better?
It's when he gets... Sirias.

Oh sorry I couldn't help myself lol.

ComboTurtle

Smash Lord
If there are any more questions about my sexuality or anything of the sort, I seriously don't mind at all.
Although it's not really inherent to anything here, it's still just for fun.
As long as it's not being cruel or anything. =]

Edit:

By the way, Bsrk, I'm just going to answer all the questions as best I can.
I'll give you all the answers and you can decide which ones are worth putting up and which ones aren't.
And also take out parts of whatever I've said to make it more... to what you want it to be.
Kayyy.
have your parents ever accidentally walked in on you jerking it?

Zero

Smash Hero
I'd like to say a few good words on the interview. Really well done Bsrk. However, code boxes made it incredibly annoying to read. Could you maybe use standard text?

Top Bottom