• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Ottawa Melee Thread - Updated Summer 2016 Power Rankings!

BL!TZ

Smash Ace
@ Chris - What are the events this time around? (Assuming you re TO since Charles doesnt post here often) Low Tier tournament had little to no hype whatsoever haha. I believe we should have a falcon onry tournament. :)

@ Everyone - I believe I ll be needing a new partner this time around lol. Anyone wanna team?
I guess I'll be TO again. I'll have to be more strict this time, lol. Events haven't been decided yet but I'm guessing it could be...

Singles
Doubles
Falcon Only!

I think we should always do three events. The third event should change every month for variety.

Btw, I think I'm pretty bad at Falcon dittos so I probably won't do well.

I'm teaming with chlor0form because he's beast. Unless he wants to team with someone else, lol.

Rate this thread 1 star for number 1
Get@Will's right. Surrender Al.

I'll be wanting to make it this weekend.
k, sick

yo ill be moving to ottawa for the summer in a few days! Hopefully I can make it to the next event
Sick, I'll finally be able to play you.

cool... attending this weekend, aswell. :)
k, sick

Edit: If everyone is okay with me being TO again then I'll probably get started with updating the rules and ****.

BL!TZ

Smash Ace
The Return of BBQ Blitz?

Maybe not this time :(

HOLY **** IT's PHIL!
If you can attend next month then I'd be willing to team with you for sure.

Edit: @ PND: Would you be able to help me run the monthly again? You were a huge help last time. It would be very much appreciated!

@ Cman: You didn't say you were against me organising so I decided we should start getting organised now. Did you want to help run the monthly? You helped me a lot last time with seeding for LT and Doubles.

PND

Smash Champion
A) I'll help run it.
2) Al, want to be SUPER SPECIAL AWESOME teammates?
c) Falcon Only / Onry is the best event ever.
iv) Should Ganon be allowed in Falcon Only / Onry?
FIVE!) Is this weekend's event being hosted on Sunday or Saturday?
666) Everyone, rate this thread 1 star for number one thread.

BL!TZ

Smash Ace
LOL Falcon Onry ftw
could we have next month having the third event...CREW BATTLEZ? I am not sure if i can attend this months monthly because of prom and stuffz :p
I don't see why not. We'll probably split it by skill level and characters. You'd better attend.

A) I'll help run it.
2) Al, want to be SUPER SPECIAL AWESOME teammates?
c) Falcon Only / Onry is the best event ever.
iv) Should Ganon be allowed in Falcon Only / Onry?
FIVE!) Is this weekend's event being hosted on Sunday or Saturday?
666) Everyone, rate this thread 1 star for number one thread.
1. ty
4. Ganon is not allowed.
5. It's on Sunday.
6. I agree.

BL!TZ

Smash Ace
lol I heard that rule before. It's funny but we won't do it. Other wise it would get ********. Trust me, I use Falcon.

What we will do is make Fountain of Dreams a Counter Pick and Pokémon Stadium Neutral.

BL!TZ

Smash Ace
Alright, thanks a lot.

Sunday it is! We'll need another gamecube. A third TV would be nice, if my friend is able to come I'll ask him if he can bring one.

BL!TZ

Smash Ace
Ya, but if you are better at FoD with Falcon than your opponent is, then I see no reason why you shouldn't be rewarded.

Get@Will

Smash Champion
Lol Falcon onry

Should do:
-4 stocks, 8 minute time limit. (You can choose to make it 3 minutes, since we know someone gon' get *****. hella hard)
-Characters : Falcon or Bowser (Either become a bird of prey or become combo food. Your choice. *If you seriously do choose Bowser, you can't switch at any point during the set)
-Stages : FD, DL64, Yoshi's Story. (Other stages just make it weird besides Pokemon. We did it in B.C. at one point, and it was kinda messy, and not nearly as much combos happening)

Record this please.

BL!TZ

Smash Ace
Lol Falcon onry

Should do:
-4 stocks, 8 minute time limit. (You can choose to make it 3 minutes, since we know someone gon' get *****. hella hard)
-Characters : Falcon or Bowser (Either become a bird of prey or become combo food. Your choice. *If you seriously do choose Bowser, you can't switch at any point during the set)
-Stages : FD, DL64, Yoshi's Story. (Other stages just make it weird besides Pokemon. We did it in B.C. at one point, and it was kinda messy, and not nearly as much combos happening)

Record this please.
Thanks for the input. I won't decide right away on the stages though, because I don't entirely agree.

PND

Smash Champion
Oh ****, this Sunday is mother's day. Holy **** I forgot. I need to get a gift lmao.

OR: I can go out for dinner sushi with my family. . .at Sushi Kan, freeing up the entire day for smashing while being only minutes walking distance away.

Gotta run this plan by my mom, minus the whole "smashing all day" part

BL!TZ

Smash Ace
I'm interested. Falcon only... sounds like a good time! Blitz is gunna beast it, I call it. We're teaming also, woot!
I'll do my best to be a beast, but I doubt it will happen.

Let's beast this Doubles shiz!

Note: Beasting isn't the same as being the best, it's better.

Oh ****, this Sunday is mother's day. Holy **** I forgot. I need to get a gift lmao.

OR: I can go out for dinner sushi with my family. . .at Sushi Kan, freeing up the entire day for smashing while being only minutes walking distance away.

Gotta run this plan by my mom, minus the whole "smashing all day" part
I forgot about Mothers Day, lol. I hope your mom will be fine with your plan.

I'll make a separate post for the monthly now.

Edit: Excuse the double post. I'll make it prettier.

BL!TZ

Smash Ace
Ottawa Melee Monthly II

About the Monthly

* A tournament regularly held in Ottawa at least once a month. The second monthly will include Singles, Doubles, and Falcon Only.
* Entry fee is $3 for Singles, $4 per team for Doubles, and $1 for Falcon Only.
* All events will be Double Elimination with regular sets being best of 3, and Winner's Finals, Loser's Finals, and Grand Finals being best of 5.
* If there is enough interest, there will be a crew battle after all the events are finished.
* For any questions or concerns, speak to one of the Tournament Organisers BL!TZ, PND, and Cman (Charlesz).
* The Monthly will be held on May 29th at BL!TZ's house. PM BL!TZ for the address.
* Please tell the Tournament Organiser whether you are interested in entering. Even if you may need to pull out, we would like to have a list of people who may be attending.
* During the last week BL!TZ will PM everybody asking for their confirmation.
* Be sure to read through the rules thoroughly!

Schedule

11:30 am - House is open for friendlies and warm up.
1:00 pm - Falcon Only Event begins.
3:15 pm - Doubles Event begins.
5:30 pm - Singles Event begins.
9:00 pm - House is closed.

Stage List

Starter Stages:

* Dream Land: Fountain of Dreams
* Past Stages: Dream Land
* Special Stages: Final Destination
* Special Stages: Battlefield
* Yoshi's Island: Yoshi's Story

Counter Stages:

* Kanto: Pokemon Stadium
* Planet Zebes: Brinstar
* Mushroom Kingdom: Rainbow Cruise
* Past Stages: Kongo Jungle

General Rules

* Items are set to off.
* Stock and Time are set to 4 stock and 8 minutes respectively.
* Regular sets are best of 3 matches.
* The Tournament Organisers are the arbiter of all disputes.
* Blind Picks: the first character selection of a set must be without prior knowledge of the opponent's character selection for both players.
* Modified Dave's Stupid Rule: No player can counter pick a stage he or she has previously won on unless agreed upon by both players.
* Gentleman's clause: any stage may be played on so long as both players and the Tournament Host agree to it, including banned stages.
* Timed out matches will be determined by the remaining number of lives, then percentage of the current stock. In the event of a percentage tie, replay that match with 1 stock. Any Sudden Death match is strictly not to be played.
* Pausing during a match is not allowed and will result in a disqualification if deemed necessary by the opposing player and Tournament Organiser.
* Rage quitting will considered a loss of the match. It may result in the loss of the set if the initiating player chooses.
* Stalling will result in a disqualification at the discretion of the Tournament Organisers. For the purpose of this tournament, Stalling is defined as any action that deliberately avoids all conflict as to make the game unplayable.
* Wobbling is banned.
* Ice Climbers' Handoff is not banned, however doing so past 250% will be considered stalling and will result in a disqualification.

Counter Pick System

1. Blind Picks character selection.
2. Stage Striking: Players eliminate stages from the Starter Stage List until only 1 remains, and the players then play the first match on that stage. Players strike stages in 1 2 2 1 order. Order that the players strike in is decided by either Port Priority or however both players choose. In the event of a port disagreement, do a Rock Paper Scissors match. Winner decides who gets priority.
3. The first match is played.
4. Winning player of the preceding match bans a stage.
5. The losing player of preceding match picks stage for the next match.
6. The winning player of preceding match picks character.
7. The losing player picks character.
8. The next match is played.
9. Repeat 4-8 for all consecutive matches as necessary until the set is complete.

Notes

* Players are responsible for:

1. Being familiar with the rule set and stage list
2. Entrance fees
3. Arriving on time
4. Maintaining personal hygiene
5. Controllers and character knowledge
6. Not being late for their set. I don't even know how you would be, unless you leave for lunch in between sets.

* The Tournament Organisers can kick you out at any time from the tournament and the house, but you probably won't unless you're a douche.
* You can John as much as you like, it doesn't change the fact you lost though.
* Don't be too slow when stage striking and counter picking. It should take 30 seconds maximum.
* For all Melee tournaments, use of the character Master Hand is banned.

Note: Rule set is taken heavily from Melee Back Room Ruleset though changes have been made.

Falcon Only Specific Rules

* Captain Falcon Only!
* There are no bans while counter picking.

Stage List is as follows:

* Kanto: Pokemon Stadium
* Past Stages: Dream Land
* Special Stages: Final Destination
* Special Stages: Battlefield
* Yoshi's Island: Yoshi's Story

Currently registered

* This is a current list of people who may be attending. Entrants will be confirmed during the last week before the tournament. Confirmed entrants will have '(confirmed)' beside their name.
* Events entrants will attend will be decided on the day of the tournament.

Entrants:

1. Cman (confirmed)
2. BL!TZ (confirmed)
3. Florence (confirmed)
4. MEGA (confirmed)
5. Wak (confirmed)
6. Linkshot (confirmed)
7. chlor0form (confirmed)
8. chrusher97

Setups

BL!TZ - 2 TVs + 1 Gamecube + 1 Wii + 2 Memory Cards + 1 SSBM
Linkshot - 1 TV (maybe) + 1 Gamecube + 1 Memory Card + 1 SSBM

We'll need more, lol.

Food

Pizza Fund

*For two jumbo sized cheese pizzas. Will cost $24.99 not including taxes I don't think and not including a tip. Menu can be found here: http://www.1for1pizza.com/Pizza/index_e.aspx?DetailID=124

1. Linkshot - $6.00

*Cman has said he'll contribute. He hasn't said how much yet.

Other

1. Linkshot - Popcorn
2. BL!TZ - 24 cans of Coke, 24 cans of Dr Pepper

BL!TZ

Smash Ace
Awesome job chris. Confirm me for singles!
tyty but u say that becuz wobbling is ban'd this time lolololol jk. kk ur signed up.

@ Vanitas: I think you can remove the results from the last monthly now. You can also remove "Save this thread! Rate it 5 star!" from the thread title.

BL!TZ

Smash Ace
No, I'm not renaming it just because someone used the same lame subtitle as I did before me. I really don't care.

Edit: Actually, **** subtitles.

mouse7245

Smash Apprentice
LOL i stopped that habit of mine just to let you know if we ever meet up again. Nice to see you again btw :) Hope you join the tournament scheduled for this month.
Who are the other two people out of curiosity?

Rate this thread 5 star please. Who knows what are the consequences of having a 1 star thread haha

@ Chris - What are the events this time around? (Assuming you re TO since Charles doesnt post here often) Low Tier tournament had little to no hype whatsoever haha. I believe we should have a falcon onry tournament. :)

@ Everyone - I believe I ll be needing a new partner this time around lol. Anyone wanna team?
The two people are Eric Gaudreau and Christopher Thompson. Hopefully I can make this Sunday but I'll try to let you know ahead of time

BL!TZ

Smash Ace
@ Mouse: Okay, hope to see you here.

@ Vanitas: We'll have a crew battle when we finish all the events. At least if people want to have one by the end. I think we'll try and split by skill and character evenly so we don't have the best players on one side and we don't have the same characters on one side. We'll decide the crews on the day of the tournament.

Edit: 1.69 stars. It's only a matter of time now.

mouse7245

Smash Apprentice
Depending on when it is Sunday I can probably show up. Also, I don't BC AL sent me the directions so if you could forward those it would be appreciated.

BL!TZ

Smash Ace
Oh right, I should mention what time people can show up at. Everybody can come at 11:30 am and stay until 7:00 pm.

Top Bottom