• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Ottawa Melee Thread - Updated Summer 2016 Power Rankings!

BL!TZ

Smash Ace
omg go away BC people nobody likes you.

lol, just kidding.

Hand off is ****ing hard to pull of btw, especially versus Fox.

I may host a smashfest on Saturday. I'll confirm tomorrow. Kris may actually show up this time, lol.

ThePoet

Smash Journeyman
Hey man, don't hate on BC! D:<
We gave you awesome stuff, like AL over there.
... well the awesome part is questionable.

qumbug

Smash Rookie
hey i'm new to the whole ottawa melee scene (basically been playing against the same friends for several years) and i'm looking to improve my gameplay (i main captain falcon) where'd be a good place to start?

oh, and i've only recently started practicing advanced techniques, still need lots of improvement!

-qumbug

BL!TZ

Smash Ace
Hey man, don't hate on BC! D:<
We gave you awesome stuff, like AL over there.
... well the awesome part is questionable.
lol. For serious though, Al is a cool guy.

hey i'm new to the whole ottawa melee scene (basically been playing against the same friends for several years) and i'm looking to improve my gameplay (i main captain falcon) where'd be a good place to start?

oh, and i've only recently started practicing advanced techniques, still need lots of improvement!

-qumbug
Hey there qumbug! Welcome to the Melee Scene!

Hmm, I'm not sure what to say as far as improving goes, lol. For now, I'll just say you should keep working on advanced techniques and learn when to use them. Sorry, I'm bad at giving advice.

In case you didn't know, Stomp into Knee is a bread and butter combo for Falcon. It will typically work on everybody, as long as it's not too high a percent, and you don't always have to l-cancel, lol. You should anyways though.

If you would like to play us, I'll probably be hosting a smashfest this Saturday. PM me for the address if you're interested. Even if you don't think you'll do well against us, people will probably give you advice when they think of anything.

I have a friend who is in a similar position as yourself. He is just learning advanced techniques too. I'll try and get him to attend the next smashfest so you'll have somebody at a similar level to play against.

chlor0form

Smash Journeyman
Blitz, if you're hosting this weekend, I'll be sure to show up. It's always great to have more melee players in the scene. qumbug, you should talk to blitz if you've got any questions or anything, 'cause he mains Falcon (and has a bunch of exp. I bet). :)

re charlesz: that video is jookes

qumbug

Smash Rookie
Sweet, I won't be able to make it on Saturday because I'll be in Montreal for a friend's birthday party (bars stay open until 4 am) but I'll definately try to make it to a Smashfest someday.

Hey might be a silly question, but do you guys know of anyone looking to sell a used copy of melee? I'm getting my own gamecube and I haven't been able to find a decent price for melee.

Thanks for the warm welcome, I'm sure I'll meet some of you soon.

-qumbug

BL!TZ

Smash Ace
Okay, just tell me whenever I host if you'll be showing up. I'll give you the address then. Cman hosts sometimes too.

I don't know anyone, but if you check sites like kijiji and usedottawa then you'll probably find some people selling their copy of Melee for a relatively low price. Microplay sells it used too I think but I think it's more expensive there. I wouldn't bother there unless you had no other choice.

Edit: Also, rate this thread 1 star.

BL!TZ

Smash Ace
I should be able to host. People can come from 12pm to 6pm.

I don't think I will have to but watch out in case I am forced to cancel.

Edit: Smashfest is 100% confirmed now. Who is coming?

Linkshot

Smash Hero
SHOUTOUTS

MEGAMarth - You should go practice your combos against Weegee. Also, Waveshining is a nogo against the man in green.
Florence - Holy **** your Young Link has so much tech skill. Keep it up.
BL!TZ - Your Weezing put up a **** good fight. I'll be more even with you, next time.

BL!TZ

Smash Ace
SHOUTOUTS

MEGAMarth - You should go practice your combos against Weegee. Also, Waveshining is a nogo against the man in green.
Florence - Holy **** your Young Link has so much tech skill. Keep it up.
BL!TZ - Your Weezing put up a **** good fight. I'll be more even with you, next time.
John will find a way.
Tom's Young Link is lolz.
I'll be ready next time, in other words the next time we play will be the next time I pick up the game lol.

Sorry, couldn't make it. What was the turnout? How'd it go?
Only Linkshot came. We hardly played Melee. We watched Florence play Ocarina of Time (more fun than it may sound) then played Pokémon Puzzle League.

Yo anyone want to smash on the 23rd or 24th? =]
Sorry, I can't. :(

I won't be hosting smashfests during the month of June. I'm not a beast like Fogel for hosting. Sorry if this lets anybody down. If somebody else could host, that would be great. I'd probably be able to attend.

Also, Monthly is this Saturday everybody! There are a few things I'd like to point out.

1. I haven't got a TV due to me not being able to find one with the proper output and not having enough money at the moment. Hopefully, I'll be able to get one before Saturday. I'll keep you posted Vanitas so you don't have to bring the recording equipment. If I can't get one then we'll record matches with a camera.

2. I'm going to start a Pizza fund. I'll need people to say how much they can put in if they want to. We'll probably get 2 cheese pizzas from the same place as last time. It'll cost $24.99 not including taxes and not including a tip. Maybe, I can make a deal with my mom again so there will end up being three pizzas, not 100% sure about that though. I can't guarantee how much I can put in right now, but I will be putting money in.

3. Please bring drinks and snacks if you can. I'm not sure if I will be able to but I'll try.

4. I'm not sure what we'll do if there aren't enough people to run the tournament, lol. Maybe we can just have a smashfest and record money matches and serious sets. Hopefully there will be enough people so we won't be in that situation.

Edit: I'll try and make a schedule tomorrow.

Linkshot

Smash Hero
I only have 10s, regarding the pizza fund, luls. I can pitch in...a bunch of toonies.

I can provide a TV, but it won't have the proper inputs.

I'll see what I can do about snacks and drinks. There's a store 5 minutes walking away.

Smashfest w/ money matches sounds good. (or we could all watch Florence play Deku Stick of Time)

BL!TZ

Smash Ace
I only have 10s, regarding the pizza fund, luls. I can pitch in...a bunch of toonies.

I can provide a TV, but it won't have the proper inputs.

I'll see what I can do about snacks and drinks. There's a store 5 minutes walking away.

Smashfest w/ money matches sounds good. (or we could all watch Florence play Deku Stick of Time)
Thank you. Find out how much specifically you can put in. I'll list what everybody will contribute in the post.

Thanks, a TV would help. If I can get a TV and PND is coming with one, then you might not have to. Bring your Gamecube, please.

If you mean a store close to where you live, then alright. If you mean the store close to my house, well it's no longer in business lol.

I'll add you to the list btw, lol. I'd say you're pretty much confirmed.

Yeah I'll pitch in for the pizza . ANd I am confirmed for next week!
Thank you. Like I said to Linkshot, find out how much you can put in.

You're confirmed. :)

Edit: Schedule will be this...

11:30 am - House is open for friendlies and warm up.
1:00 pm - Falcon Only Event begins.
3:15 pm - Doubles Event begins.
5:30 pm - Singles Event begins.
9:00 pm - House is closed.

Is everybody fine with that?

Linkshot

Smash Hero
I meant near my place, heh.

I'll rummage through my change box right now...how does $6 sound? I want to have some change left for the tourney :p

I'll probably be bringing popcorn as a snack. Would that be a problem?

BL!TZ

Smash Ace
I think $6 is a good amount for this sort of thing. Thanks for contributing!

I don't think popcorn would be a problem. I would have to clean my kitchen, but I should probably clean the whole house anyways, lol.

BL!TZ

Smash Ace
Schedule looks good. Who signed up for doubles?
Sorry for late reply. I didn't answer because I have no clue, lol.

Sorry for the extremely late notice, but i cannot make it this saturday.
Okay. :( Thanks for telling us.

I sure hope we get a decent number of people... Sad we won't be able to see your icies without wobbling, BC AL. >:p
There are 7 people signed up, lmao. If there are at least 8 people then we'll still have the tournament. Not sure about 7 people though :/. If things don't work out, then we'll just have a smashfest with pizza, lol.

Somebody bring a copy of Melee for my Wii. We could use another TV and setup too. I'd prefer two more but with the number of people coming, 3 setups in total should work fine.

Edit: Ya, I ***** this thread. :):):) Thank you everybody who voted 1 star!!!!! No thank you anybody who voted 5 star. :mad::mad::mad:

Top Bottom