• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Ottawa Bi-weeklies, because illegal gambling is perfectly legal

Fogel

Smash Lord
Cam, I am not trying to change Ottawa into restrictive Japanese. I just thought that in a tournament you are allowed to change the rules a bit as long as both players agree. I just wanted to try out the japanese restrictions with anyone that I play against, but like the smash balls or skyworld, I can't force it on a match.
It wasn't really directed at just you, it was more generally to everyone who started to suddenly support it. As you said, if your opponent agrees with Japanese rules, you can play them all you want (as with smash balls/skyworld/etc.).

buenob

Smash Lord
harold, It'll be there, but I can't believe youare going to spend money on MvC2... it doesn't suit you... the amount of infinites in it is incredible, every character is borked...

I use brawl for mind-games... there's no other game with the interaction like brawl, and I really like the diversity of the matches.. I've been playing sf4 online and got to the G2-D rank in challenge mode, and now pretty much every fight between characters is so similar... i really don't mind it, i'm playing sf4 for the mindgames in the pokes and prods, but I play smash for the variety in options...

to dismiss sbr-style brawl because it is taking a game with the options for not serious-business, and making it something different, i think isn't the right way to go about it, but again that's just my opinion :)

cam - my friend from out of town came in yesterday so he took all my spare time... I have the outline done, but it's almost opposite from what what i was saying at your place... after considering it, your structure is probably the best way for it to work on your end, but storing it should be done my way... anyways, i'll have that tomorrow am... sorry, i guess i'm stretching myself a bit thin so when unexpected things pop-up i'm thrown off

IvanEva

Smash Ace
MvC2 is a game that's a load of fun when played at a 'sort of getting there' level, which would be the level that I'll no doubt be staying at. I'd never play it for money because, yeah, it can get pretty ugly...

We needs us another SFIV-fest but I doubt I'll be hosting one any time soon. :S

On topic: Alan, we needs us some All-Brawl money matches!

Niko_K

Smash Master
MVC2 *****. Don't listen to that silly goose Ben.

Oh ya, I'm posting here for a reason....I'm coming to visit! Hoepfully for Canada day.

Fogel

Smash Lord
cam - my friend from out of town came in yesterday so he took all my spare time... I have the outline done, but it's almost opposite from what what i was saying at your place... after considering it, your structure is probably the best way for it to work on your end, but storing it should be done my way... anyways, i'll have that tomorrow am... sorry, i guess i'm stretching myself a bit thin so when unexpected things pop-up i'm thrown off
No problem. I haven't gotten as much work done on the tests as I'd have liked either :/ We can discuss the details on Friday.

CHAOSvsORDER

Smash Journeyman
He's going to spend money on MvC2... T_T what a waste.

Niko, are you able to come to one of the smashfests?

And, how are my bodily functions shameful? What measurement of shame are pride is being used to determine that pe nis is shameful but not hand? Restricted speech doesn't make any sense.

IvanEva

Smash Ace
Ariel, you stupid idiot! Don't you read your bible every night before bed? The pe nis is evil because it's what Adam had to cover up.

Here's a random poem I found about Satan :p:

Opposite Perception

A predominant figure, often perceived as baneful
His symbolic imagery dark, yet auspiciously wise
Misinterpreted through time as pugnacious and hateful
An entire morality, quietly falsified

Resembling man's inherent nature, no intent of criticism
Only acceptance and realization, of one's human traits
Wisdom, Free Will, attained by individiualism
Invalidated as one, personified through hate

This elevated aptitude, god if you will
Seeks good and no evil, but good he has killed
Through masking an intelligent moral belief
Feeds him guarenteed dependance, in redundant times of grief

Irony so lucid, so clear, you're quick to adhere
He who preaches independence in aplomb
Merely becomes silenced like scum
Reminders from Earth, of and how ignorance is fear

This glorified image, of purity, free of sin
Is one seeking dependance of him, from deep within
Blindly praised and worshipped, ring a bell?
He lives in perceived paradise, or is it hell....?

On topic: Niko, you're coming rockclimbing, swimming, running, and playing MvC2 with us!

Darkbeast666

Smash Rookie
Wow MvC2, I haven't played that in like forever, let me know when you get it. Anyway I'm free to go to smashfest. I can't remember if it's a bi-weekly or not. Whatever, I'm just happy I've got the next few days off.

BananaTrooper

Smash Journeyman
lol just to make sure, this week (so today?) will be a bi-weekly, meaning brawl only/no time for melee, right?

SoLn

Smash Apprentice
Theres always time for melee. Except when the actual tournament is running then you can only really play near the finals where there arent as many people trying to get matches in. Theres also about a 2 hour window from 5 to 7 where its just friendlies and random stuff.

I may show up for a few hours tonight. I wanst there last week for the swiss program meeting but if there is any leftt over work I can look at it.

The_Jiggernaut

Smash Ace
Hey guys, whats the happs?

I will be coming tonight, so sign me up Sil vos please.

Really, I'm totally against moving towards a more Japanese style of brawl (do they even have stocks). I am actually of the opinion that although flat stages are glorified as 'neutral' and 'fair', certain characters have distinct advantages on them. So much that it forms the tier list. Think about it, can anyone name me ONE top or high tier character that doesn't benefit or at least has absolutely no disadvantages on the neutral stages? There are none.

In a standard 2/3 match, against a high tier character with a lower tier character, first they start off on a neutral stage, where the high tier character has the advantage. Then, assuming all three matches are played, each character will counter pick a stage that they have an advantage on. This means that the two will fight once on the low tier character's turf, and twice on the high tier character's turf. This obviously gives the high tier character a huge advantage and is the reason that they win more matches and therefore it is the reason they were cast as "high tier" in the first place.

With a more liberal stage choice, high tier characters have less of an advantage, and the gaps in the tiers smaller, but going with a Japanese style game, certain characters would be completely useless, and the gaps in the tiers would widen. This would make only a handful of characters a viable choice and with the already limited stage choice, the game would become boring as hell.

Obviously, there are other reasons for characters being higher tiered, too, so don't flame me for that ;)

All in all, I think that 'neutral' stages should not be considered an equal playing field for all characters. They aren't, and they should stop being seen as such.

Linkshot

Smash Hero
I honestly think that for using Stage Striking, you should have every legal stage on, so that it really comes down to the fairest match possible for the characters.

buenob

Smash Lord
epic night guys :) had a blast... i am sorry if I was being a bit of a @#$^ to people, but I wanted to get home at a semi-reasonable time, and if I didn't attempt to kick people off tv's, it would have taken way longer... anyways, sorry if I was too serious business at points

next week i'm working friday, but i'll be back for a swiss or double-elim tournament in 2 weeks

also, cam, you should post the results for everyone so they know how they did comparatively

Remilia Scarlet

Smash Cadet
good games everyone!

*insert obligatory statement about my new main inevitably becoming unstoppable in the next x amount of weeks* But it's going to be hard because everyone is getting too good... even when I was all like "yeah I guess I'll whip out game and watch to pwn yous" like my usual cocky self would say, I was still beat fair and square.

Aside: There was a point where I made a small mention about a certain canadian drug, and looking back on it, I can see it could have been interpreted as an offensive jab. Just wanted to make it clear I didn't mean it that way, and if I offended, I'm very sorry and I'll be more careful wording my ****ty excuses for wit in the future!

Fogel

Smash Lord
I'm not at home, so I don't have full doubles results. Here's what I remember:

1) buenob/Remilia
2) Arsenic/Orlando
3) SAUS/LaN

Full Singles results (I had to add another level of tiebreaks! Read below if you care.)

1) buenob
2) Zylem
3) SAUS
4) Orlando
5) Knuckles
6) Linkshot
7) Fogel
8) Haze
9) Remilia
10) Moses
11) HiDef
12) Arsenic
13) IvanEva
14) Jiggernaut
15) rc-80
16) Darkbeast666

Random comments:

- I'm glad to see a full biweekly; I was wondering if things had started dying out, but given that we had a full tourney this week it shows things are alive and well.
- Haze is officially my rival; we're 3-3 in tournament sets now! Close matches again yesterday!
- I like how Harold doesn't show up when he posts saying that he will, and does show up when he posts saying that he won't.
- The tier list should probably be updated. I said I wouldn't really participate in discussions for it, but I have a few comments. Ariel should be moved to top tier or at least high tier; he has placed very high in recent weeks, and won the first Swiss biweekly. A lot of people who are currently in mid tier should be moved up to high tier, and existing high tier people should probably be moved down (sorry guys, at least you'll still be better than 6th worst!).

==Swiss stuff details, skip this section if you don't care==

For Swiss tiebreaks, guess what, we needed a 5th tiebreak system :)

For the tournament, we used, in order:

1) Match wins
2) Game wins
3) Head to head
4) Comparing the sum of opponents' match wins

Ben used this to determine 3rd/4th place between Derek and Orlando. There were a few similar ties for some of the lower places. However, even after all that, there were still 2 ties to break! For both Linkshot/Knuckles, and Moses/HiDef, they had the same number of match and game wins, never played head to head, and their opponents' total match wins were exactly the same.

To resolve this, I added a fifth tiebreak:

5) Comparing the sum of opponents' game wins

The logic is the same behind why the sum of opponents' match wins was used in 4).
Namely, if you got the same match record as someone but played opponents who had more wins, it means you were playing tougher competition, and deserve to place higher.

For this tournament, a fifth tiebreak was enough, but even more levels might be necessary as it's still possible for there to be ties even with this condition added. Does anyone have any suggestions? These will be added to the algorithm for the Swiss program.

CHAOSvsORDER

Smash Journeyman
Thank you for the kind words Cam. I think I should be high tier and that top should be for top 3.

I am kinda lazy to do shout outs right now, so maybe later on in the day.

LivewiresXe

Smash Hero
Oh cool, somebody new showed up AND a full turnout? Nice. Congrats to buenob and Remilia by the way. Well, if all goes well, I should be able to make it out again in about 2 and a half weeks, go me! :laugh:

Linkshot

Smash Hero
Intense matches last night, guys! Orlando, I cannot stress enough how amazing our last match was, with the 0² music going in the background.

Great games, everybody!

Jiggernaut! Thanks for teaming again! You're a great team partner and I'm sorry for smacking you around so much.

D

Deleted member

go easy on Bananatrooper when he comes out, cam.. i've been training him since diapers.

arsenic41

Smash Ace
I really should update that PR, it has been a neglected child for far too long.

P.S. WHERE WERE YOU BANANATROOPER?!?

BananaTrooper

Smash Journeyman
i was thinking id wait till next week, since you guys woulda been busy with brawl :p

will come out next week for the smashfest, 99% sure, hope theres still a few peeps wiling to play melee with me :)

buenob

Smash Lord
buenobs random tier list, based off of who he thinks is good against him (order inside tiers doesn't mean anything... sorry alan lol)

saus
Retlaf
Arsenic

CvO/Zylem

IvanEva
Linkshot
SolN/Orlando

Moses
HiDef
Haze
Nuckls
Fogel
Jiggernaut
Ian (tink)

Darkbeast666
Convict
Joblin
Jan
Livewire

--
I know cam said that the top tier should probably be switched up a bit, but really once andrew gets tink down, and randy decides to play for serial, I would put them up there... anyways, it's just my opinion

LivewiresXe

Smash Hero
Aww man, mean Andrew, lol. I've been working on Tink the past 2 months, hoping to bust him out, way to ruin my fun. Least I'm still the only Wario. :laugh:

BL!TZ

Smash Ace
i was thinking id wait till next week, since you guys woulda been busy with brawl :p

will come out next week for the smashfest, 99% sure, hope theres still a few peeps wiling to play melee with me :)
So I guess you're exclusively Melee, eh? I'll play you this Friday assuming I can go, which I probably will.

arsenic41

Smash Ace
Brawl sucks, I reached this revelation when Yoshi got 3-stocked by Marth. Brawl has bullied me for far too long, I'm running to melee until I can learn how to defend for myself.

Fogel

Smash Lord
buenobs random tier list, based off of who he thinks is good against him (order inside tiers doesn't mean anything... sorry alan lol)

<insert tier list here>

--
I know cam said that the top tier should probably be switched up a bit, but really once andrew gets tink down, and randy decides to play for serial, I would put them up there... anyways, it's just my opinion
I said high tier, not top tier. IMO the current Top tier is still pretty accurate (though Randy would be there if not for sandbagging :) ).

Aww man, mean Andrew, lol. I've been working on Tink the past 2 months, hoping to bust him out, way to ruin my fun. Least I'm still the only Wario. :laugh:
Randy plays Wario in tournaments every now and then. I suppose if you meant Wario mains, then yeah :)

CHAOSvsORDER

Smash Journeyman

buenob
saus
Retlaf
Arsenic

CvO/Zylem

IvanEva
Linkshot
SolN/Orlando

Moses
HiDef
Haze
Nuckls
Fogel
Jiggernaut
Ian (tink)

Darkbeast666
Convict
Joblin
Jan
Livewire

--
Yay! Some new drama(since a certain someone hasn't changed the PR in a very very long time =P)

My main concern here is that I am in my own grouping. Is it because I didn't wear deodorant last time and no one wants to be near me? =(

But seriously, I agree with most of it except that I feel that Orlando should be placed at the top of his group since he has consistently placed higher in biweeklies. For the Moses group, things get kinda hazy. As for the Justin group, I haven't played them much so I have no opinion except that Convict should be last since he only came once(obligatory 'that's what she said').

Also, you haven't placed Arsene anywhere. Remembering Convict but not Arsene seems kinda confusing to me =S

Concerning top tier, I really think it should just be top 3 since the payout is only for the top three. I know competition is pretty close between you guys though.

Anyhow, are you or Remilia coming out this Friday? I'd really love some good matches and more importantly some tips. Also, if you could post some tips for me here too that would be nice =P.

Top Bottom