• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

One Piece

Hot_ArmS

Smash Hero
its possible but there better be a darn good reason aokiji is working with ceasar

also im even more confused now on why law is dying, i initially thought it was a df of whoever that person is but if its aokiji his powers wouldnt do that

Reizilla

The Old Lapras and the Sea
I just wonder if Kuzan would dress the same, now that he's not an admiral. This guy also seems to be wearing more of a lab coat than a cape, as his hands are behind his back and not in his pockets like Kuzan. I guess I just really want it to be a new character :bee:

N.A.G.A.C.E

Smash Champion
It wont be but how funny/weird/awesome would it be if it was his bear 1st mate (i just want him to be back in the story)

:phone:

Virgilijus

Nonnulli Laskowski praestant
BRoomer
This thread is not for the purpose of detractors to come in and solely vent frustration at the series. If you have nothing to contribute to the thread, don't spam it with troll attempts.

theeboredone

Smash Legend
Technically speaking, making Aizen references for no reason don't give contribution either. Though I would have appreciated an explanation rather than just "OP sucks."

Virgilijus

Nonnulli Laskowski praestant
BRoomer
On occasion, small detours and tangents are allowed when they follow the course of discussion (One Piece leads to anime leads to other shows; that, every once in a while, is fine). However, walking in and saying 'I don't like the topic' is uninformative and arguably trolling in a thread of people who obviously feel passionately otherwise.

Now if people want to intelligently discuss the merits and downfalls of the series, that is accepted and encouraged.

asianaussie

Smash Hero
lol, guess im not exactly one to berate others for lack of contribution

:aizen:

any shortcomings one piece has (and they definitely exist, manga/anime are technically still niche) are balanced out by its better qualities and the almost shameless way it parades heroics and romance (you know, *that* kind of romance) in a fun way

Y.b.M.

Smash Master
One Piece is like the perfect series. It's a Tear jerker, It makes you laugh, perversion, Hype fights, amazing storyline that could continue forever, unique characters, Etc.

The only thing One Piece doesn't have is Chuck Norris but I'll settle for Luffy any day.

For some reason I thought Law was in pain because Luffy was in Pain... We'll see how that works out in 2 weeks though *Sigh*

asianaussie

Smash Hero
I would not call it perfect, and the arc-to-arc nature of its storytelling isn't to everybody's tastes. Some arcs dragged on and on (lookin' at you, Skypiea) and one or two were even somewhat unenjoyable (hi there Fishman Island), but when a series is consistently good to the degree One Piece is, it's safe to call it one of the best epic (as in long) manga ever printed.

Reizilla

Fishman Island is in the top 3 cries of the manga. I don't know how you can say it's unenjoyable.

DerpDaBerp

Smash Champion
I guess I will forever be a dissenter but I thought Fishman Island was pretty good. The massacre at the end was, yeah, a tad strangely disappointing, but IMO Otohime and Fisher Tiger were a couple of Oda's best characters. Kudos to whomever it was in here that brought up MLK and Malcolm X

N.A.G.A.C.E

Smash Champion
Fishman island was long and boring, bottom two acrs with skypiea. But the rest has been great and i dont understand how someone could just plainly say its not good

DerpDaBerp

Smash Champion
I hold to my theory that running through the arc from beginning to end without week-long gaps, would make every arc seem better. The experience will be closest to perfect, I think, once the series is done and a newcomer has no stops, and that most of the arcs that seem poor (not even in relative terms) to us who go chapter-to-chapter will at least be decent to them.

But admittedly, you have to be able to tolerate the Straw Hats not occupying half the story for a while with how long the flashback was. I agree that with the two focal points of the flashback and the Straw Hats not being able to occupy the same timeline, it asks you to sit down for a different type of story. But I don't think Oda did poorly in giving that a shot.

Then again, he himself had Luffy fall asleep during it haha

asianaussie

Smash Hero
Fishman Island is a passable shounen manga arc if you read it from the beginning to the ending in one sitting, or if you read the two preceding chapters with each new week's release. If you follow it from week to week and don't re-read chapters (as I did, due to the fact i follow a large number of manga and don't have time for manga in the first place \o/) then I'm not sure you can really classify it as 'good' compared to the arcs that really embody One Piece - I have followed the releases since late-Alabasta, and I just sort of didn't feel it with Fishman Island.

The only things I liked about the arc were the characterization of Fisher Tiger and Zoro being a badass - the fights were downright unsatisfying and felt more like effortless showboating on the parts of the Strawhats (dunno why I'm ok with Zoro's showboating, I just am) and (subjective) I couldn't sympathise with many of the characters...

i suppose that this is a product of sky-high expectations rather than the arc actually being low-quality, but the manga has always been more satisfying when the strawhats were the aforementioned frogs-in-a-well, rather than being all shiny and superpowered. I'm really hoping that the trials ramp up in difficulty, or else Luffy might lose that underdog feel.

Reizilla

Did you really expect a difficult literally right after a two-year power-up? I was perfectly fine with the fights, because I'm pretty sure they were supposed to be showboating what they'd spent all that time doing.

asianaussie

Smash Hero
Sabody showed more than enough of that. Luffy made light of things that overwhelmed him before and haki'd things, etc. Sanji couldn't even touch the Pacifista before, and this time he broke its neck with just one kick. Zoro cut up a FREAKING GALLEON. Fine with all of that, it was a mini-arc. Rather than that, I don't think you should use this nonchalant beat-up-everything-effortlessly idea at the height of an arc, since it was a fight ridden with political tension and backstory that somebody probably enjoyed (not so much me).

When I saw the use of ancient, forbidden steroids mentioned, I was hoping this would make the fishmen actual worthy opponents, and yet they were still fodder. Jimbei by himself could probably have put a stop to much of the problem. Hell, the entire driving force behind the villains was mindless hatred. Mindlessness isn't the villains' forte, that's LUFFY'S FORTE.

Ussi

Smash Legend
3DS FC
4613-6716-2183
Fishman arc was alright. Showboating makes sense given its the first arc after the time skip, so just showing the new power is interesting. Wish it was done better (ie Brook becoming a spirit is cool, woulda been nice to see more reactions and perks about it) but the flashback part did have a nice story to it, i liked that part.

theeboredone

Smash Legend
I thought the Fishman arc should have been significantly shorter. Yes it was a time to show off the SH crew's powers. With that being said, diving deep into the past of why fishmen hate humans and vice versa was what extended it out to be longer than necessary. Then again, the fact that the SH crew had to work so hard to gain the island's trust was the true season why there was so much fighting and lengthening of the plot going on.

Hot_ArmS

Smash Hero
I agree that arcs are alot better when reading in one sit through. I started reading one piece in the winter (I remember the chapter that I finally caught up with everything was chopper transforming into a monster at FI)

I remember not being able to stop reading through the arcs like "wtf this is so good" and read the series in like 2 weeks and skypiea was actually one of my favorites.

N.A.G.A.C.E

Smash Champion
When i saw/read skypiea (iirc i was just watching the anime online when i got up to skypiea) it was already completed and i watched it in a very short amount of time, so it wasn't waiting week to week for that arc and i still thought it was weak. As for fishman island maybe u r right that reading it as a whole makes it better, i have been thinking about going back and re reading some arcs so maybe i will do this

N.A.G.A.C.E

Smash Champion
O yea i had a funny thought, what if its vegapunk and law is a cyborg or (and here comes the funny thought) if law is just a weapon with a devil fruit so he became a living weapon. (I dont think this is right just funny thoughts)

DerpDaBerp

Smash Champion
it's true.
on that note, since we haven't seen Vegapunk before, my guess of a "new character" still counts if it's him :3

DerpDaBerp

Smash Champion
most recent episode, they started using a lot of that crisp hq movie-grade animation. check it out

Hot_ArmS

Smash Hero
a new character, so much behind the scenes going on in this arc

-zoro was hilarious in this chapter
-was wondering if the samurai ends up being a nakama, but i doubt that now, zoro will probably just learn his fire techs
-its possible the samurai met ace before, given that ace spent some time in wano country. If so thatd be awesome to see since the samurais a nice counter to ace's logia
-makes me wonder if other samura in wano can cut other "elements" and thus other logia users without using haki

Top Bottom