• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

One Piece

DerpDaBerp

Smash Champion
ah, psh,
ha no, I mean tch
c'mon man, like...
heh, I wouldn't-

ha, hm, is it getting hot in here?

Reizilla

The Old Lapras and the Sea
If anything, it needed more Bon Clay. But it was pretty much perfect.

Reizilla

The Old Lapras and the Sea
Top 5 arcs go:

Enies Lobby
Water 7
Saboandy
Drum Island
Marineford

choknater

Smash Obsessed
NNID
choknater
for me it's

Impel Down
Alabasta
Arlong Park
Marineford
Enies Lobby

special shoutout to the current arc, i find it very exciting haha.

Grandeza

Smash Master
In my opinion:

Arlong Park
Alabasta
Water 7
Skypiea
Impel Down

I liked Robins flashback in Enies Lobby, but I felt that overall the arc was just straight up fighting. Awesome fighting, but not much more.

:phone:

DerpDaBerp

Smash Champion
oh... huh, I've always kind of merged Water 7 with Enies Lobby. There seems to be a definitive beginning and end with intro of characters and their involvement, then their subsequent parting of ways.

asianaussie

Smash Hero
enies lobby starts when luffy jumps onto the fence imo

it's just that...so many super ridiculous wtfhero moments

how can anyone not rank it in their top 3...hell, how can anyone rank SKYPIEA above it

Grandeza

Smash Master
<Shrugs>

So I just have a different opinion. I like Enies Lobby for the awesome fight scenes, but I just didn't feel it had the depth or twists and turns that make many One Piece arcs so awesome. I'm not saying it sucked. I found choosing a top 5 ridiculously hard because I like them all so much. I felt that Robin's flashback was heartbreaking and the highlight of the arc. I didn't like how Merry saved them at the end, although it did lead to an extremely sad funeral for Merry so it evens out I guess.

With Skypiea, I loved the sense of adventure. The idea that The Strawhats weren't there for much of any reason except the gold was great to me. It felt like they were truly just pirates being pirates. But the whole complex situation they stepped in with the Sky People and the original natives was awesome. And the flashback was fantastic. It didn't provide any backstory for strawhats but the context it gave for the whole arc was just amazing. I did feel it dragged on a bit, but I loved it overall.

So yeah, I guess I'm in the minority, but I preferred Skypiea to Enies Lobby.

asianaussie

Smash Hero
Merry's reappearance was one of three moments in the series that made me cry and I didn't see it coming at all. I don't see how it was a poor plot moment or anything, since it really screamed the word 'nakama' - and One Piece without the concept of nakama is like a rowboat in the middle of the desert...

Enies Lobby was also the point where Luffy and co finally started taking on the world government, putting them above the level of petty pirates (being a simple pirate isn't really a good thing for an epic manga imo) and really emphasising Luffy's dedication to his own sense of justice over politics an the like - there are very few arcs in any series i've read that I can say truly epitomise the nature of a manga, and Enies Lobby contained everything i think one piece tries (and succeeds) to portray: camaraderie, believing in others, personal justice, freedom and the underlying dark element to everything - it's the only arc, other than Impel Down/Summit War/maybe Sabaody that i would consider re-reading if I had nothing to do on a lazy afternoon.

Each to their own, I suppose...there are definitely some great moments in Skypiea, but the arc as a whole was somewhat tiresome to me. Also, weren't they were forced to go to Skypiea? It wasn't entirely treasure motivated, the log pose was pointing there and they couldn't go anywhere else, right?

Phoenix Lord'

Lord' of the Night
Premium
NNID
HououDaimyo1010
3DS FC
3780-9286-8943
No, if they stayed at Jaya long enough it would've eventually set itself to another island. That's why they were so anxious to ride the Knock Up Stream when they did; if they had missed it their log pose would've set itself to some boring island before the next stream would've come along, and Luffy really wanted to go to the sky island.

asianaussie

Smash Hero
ok fine, luffy is a balla hence they went to skypiea

and with all the gold luffy has thrown away, i wouldn't say that their trip was entirely treasure motivated anyway (for anyone but nami, i guess)

N.A.G.A.C.E

Smash Champion
O my god the page where they r putting chopper on law's head, i almost lol at laws expression (but i am at work and had to hold my laugh back) but it got me smiling

theeboredone

Smash Legend
Yep, called it. Interesting how Luffy states who the people are that can use Haki. Did I miss a point in which Zoro and Sanji break it out?

choknater

Smash Obsessed
NNID
choknater
very fun and entertaining last chapter

i wonder if law said shanks or big mom. luffy doesn't know kaidou, and the mention of blackbeard would've made him very angry instead of smiling. leaving it ambiguous like that only leaves those two options. and it's much more likely big mom, i think?

UNLESS luffy heard of kaidou over the 2 years. but that would just be so random if it was kaidou.

we'll see though, oda is full of surprises.

Jonas

Smash Champion
I think Big Mom is set up to be the first major "boss" (via video game analogy) in the New World, so it makes sense plot wise. On the other hand it wouldn't make sense to hide it from the reader, and Nami probably wouldn't have that expression either.
Yep, called it. Interesting how Luffy states who the people are that can use Haki.
Basically just Luffy conveying the Word of God to avoid any confusion.

Infern Angelis

Smash Master
Has to be Shanks or Big Mom

I thought it was Shanks, until I thought like Luffy and figured that knowing him, he would want to beat Shanks without any outside help

DerpDaBerp

Smash Champion
but the more I think about it, the more I think it's actually Shanks.
...why

The only reason I could see Big Mom not being the one is why Oda would keep it from us in the first place. Cuz admittedly, if it is Big Mom (which I think is the case), then when it's revealed, people will be like "...ok yeah I kind of expected that, why did he hide it..." and that's a reaction I think Oda would know to avoid.

It's just that not implying Big Mom kinda just sweeps that denouement from Fishman Island under the rug, and that makes even less sense to me

Hot_ArmS

Smash Hero
I think whoever said it was right, luffy would wanna face shanks with his own crew and his own crew alone

in romance dawn he said "just wait ill get a crew better than yours"

Grandeza

Smash Master
From Luffy reaction with a smile on his face and all... might be Shanks
Thats what I was thinking.

I bet Luffy just wants to defeat Shanks but Law wants to kill him creating a rift in the alliance down the line once Luffy finds out. Just speculation though.

Virgilijus

Nonnulli Laskowski praestant
BRoomer
I highly doubt Luffy wants to team up and defeat Shanks. He views Shanks as his hero and mentor. Just like how he always told Ace 'one day I'll be as strong as you' he likely has the same opinion of Shanks. If he defeats Shanks, it's going to be all on his own, to show Shanks he has a great pirate crew; there won't be any trickery or plotting.

It won't be Blackbeard because Luffy hates Blackbeard and wouldn't smile casually at the name.

I bet Luffy is smiling because it isn't Shanks. He asks, Law says a name that isn't Shanks (Big Mam, Kaido - who Luffy probably has no idea of) and Luffy smiles because it isn't his childhood hero. That's my guess anyways.

asianaussie

Smash Hero
i would not be even slightly surprised if it was shanks

if it was, luffy's probably smiling because he gets to see shanks period

money's on big mam though

Top Bottom