• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

One Piece

Espy Rose

Dumb horse.
NNID
EspyRose
A little late, but Madam Shirley is #1 on the hotness scale.
Also, Law's broken. :applejack:

theeboredone

Smash Legend
I think Blackbeard does have a brain, he just comes off as stupid to deceive people. Or he could be the Anti-Luffy in terms of good/evil.

choknater

Smash Obsessed
NNID
choknater
blackbeard is definitely the anti-luffy

they are similar in so many ways. being a D already gives you so many similarities in personality. they have small crew sizes that steadily grow and each member offers something really unique to the crew. among other things

Reizilla

The Old Lapras and the Sea
How many people are in Teach's crew right now?

I'm kind of looking forward to the sniper fights. Just want to see how that would go.

Phoenix Lord'

Lord' of the Night
Premium
NNID
HououDaimyo1010
3DS FC
3780-9286-8943
Espy, that's part of him being the anti-Luffy, though. He's an actual pirate while Luffy couldn't be farther from it.

There are 9 Blackbeard pirates, by the way.

Virgilijus

Nonnulli Laskowski praestant
BRoomer
I don't get why you guys are saying Luffy isn't an actual pirate; he is. He steals, fights pirates, is an enemy of the marines yet isn't a revolutionary, has a pirate flag and calls he and his crew pirates. Yes, he doesn't kill innocent people like Kidd but since when is that part of the definition of a pirate? By that rule, Shanks and Whitebeard wouldn't be pirates either.

Luffy is a pirate and is on the border between hero and anti-hero; he does heroic things and has many qualities we associate with heroism as well as many others we don't.

theeboredone

Smash Legend
I don't get why you guys are saying Luffy isn't an actual pirate; he is. He steals, fights pirates, is an enemy of the marines yet isn't a revolutionary, has a pirate flag and calls he and his crew pirates. Yes, he doesn't kill innocent people like Kidd but since when is that part of the definition of a pirate? By that rule, Shanks and Whitebeard wouldn't be pirates either.
I was definitely thinking about Shanks in regards to if Luffy is not a pirate, then what is he? I mean, we don't know his history as much as Luffy's, but both parties have pissed off the Marines...corrupt or not.

Virgilijus

BRoomer
The only thing Luffy does as a pirate is do whatever the hell he wants without a care what others think
And what if that is the best definition of being a pirate in the One Piece world we have. Blackbeard and his crew do whatever the hell they want. Kidd kills people without worrying about the repercussions. If that's the case, Luffy has just as much claim to being a pirate as any one else in the series that dons the pirate flag.

I was definitely thinking about Shanks in regards to if Luffy is not a pirate, then what is he? I mean, we don't know his history as much as Luffy's, but both parties have pissed off the Marines...corrupt or not.
Shanks and Luffy are some what interconnected on this; both of them act roughly the same as far as we can tell so, if one is a pirate, so is the other and if one is not, the other is not. Both have declared they want to be pirates, say they are pirates, and do pirate things. I think it is safe to say they are pirates.

I just know that he's not a pirate. :applejack:
Except this is the absolute worst reasoning a person can give (for anything) and is essentially defaulting into 'I think I'm right regardless of what any one else says ever'. If the facts are presented before you and you chose to question the facts and their merit, that is fine. But if you accept the facts and refuse them anyways, you are being ignorant and stymieing yourself as a human being.

Luffy is a pirate. He said in the beginning of the series he wanted to be a pirate, he became the captain of his own crew, he calls himself a pirate, he is called a pirate by almost every other character in the series and he does not try to correct them, and the plot of the entire series is that he wants to become the King of the Pirates.

Ussi

Smash Legend
3DS FC
4613-6716-2183
I'm not saying Luffy is/isn't a pirate, I was just giving my input on what I think a pirate is and what Luffy does that is like a pirate. Personally think that is enough to be a pirate, mainly because since this manga/anime is a meant for all ages, which means we can't have a main character promoting vulgar behavior that some pirates take part of.

Its also why the story is gonna have the marines have some dark past which they use the marine name to make them look like the good guys when they aren't.

Hot_ArmS

Smash Hero
Jw cause I don't remember, have the strawhats been actually shown to kill anyone?

Cause shanks crew definitely kills people. In romance dawn when lucky roo killed that one bandit shanks says "what do you think we are, saints? Were pirates"

I think throughout the whole series the strawhats have always been portrayed as different, unusual kinds of pirates.This has halways been stated by characters in the series. Bonney commented on when Zoro was trying to save the guy that got shot by tenryubito saying "a pirate that helps other people I havnt even heard of such a thing. And further emphasized by smoker, considering the strawhats his main target, saying that pirates will be pirates back in the back of tashigis mind she knows that's not true.
:phone:

theeboredone

Smash Legend
Its also why the story is gonna have the marines have some dark past which they use the marine name to make them look like the good guys when they aren't.
I'm just gonna go on a limb and say a lot of the good marines are oblivious to the corruption in the government (oh hey, what does this sound like?), and that they are trying to uphold justice the right way, while turning a blind eye to the corruption within due to lack of knowledge, and the fact they see pirates as the bigger of 2 evils.

Hot_ArmS

Smash Hero
It seems that the marines are scheming something according to law, and from how I took it smoker knows about it

I wonder if aokiji knows

:phone:

theeboredone

Smash Legend
I would if I lived in the Manga world, where I could have super human powers, and never die because I'm the main protagonist :troll:

And yes, I would even ask mermaids if they poop.

Phoenix Lord'

Lord' of the Night
Premium
NNID
HououDaimyo1010
3DS FC
3780-9286-8943

Luffy is a pirate and is on the border between hero and anti-hero; he does heroic things and has many qualities we associate with heroism as well as many others we don't.
The only thing Luffy steals is food from his friends, he doesn't care about treasure, he only fights pirates when they hurt or threaten to hurt someone he cares about, and he is an enemy to the Marines at first simply because he chose to call himself a pirate, and then later actually goes against them only because he wanted to save Robin/Ace and get payback for Hachi being shot. The only thing that makes him a pirate is the fact that he calls himself one, which is coincidentally why he flies a pirate flag. Yes, you can call him a "pirate", but you have to realise that that makes him the weirdest "pirate" of all time. The show constantly points that out to us too.

theeboredone

Smash Legend
Isn't there a "dream" image in the beginning of the series where Luffy is standing at the hilt of his ship with a sword and bunch of treasure? I mean, I'm sure Luffy's dream image of Pirate King has changed since then, but yeah...seemed pretty pirate-y

Virgilijus

BRoomer
The only thing Luffy steals is food from his friends, he doesn't care about treasure
Then what about the gold Luffy helped steal from Skypeia and Fishman Island?

Just because Luffy has some set of morals doesn't exclude him from being a pirate. A pirate is not defined by lacking a set of morals. There can be nice pirates and mean pirates and good pirates and evil pirates. But if they are against the government, island hop, steal treasure, and aren't revolutionaries IN THE AGE OF PIRATES, then they are pirates.

Top Bottom