• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Olimar

BSP

Smash Legend
I hope they give him something besides a tether recovery, or they bring back wall grapples.

Oasis_S

Smash Legend
3DS FC
0087-2694-8630
Someone suggested that, should the new flying Pikmin be first in line when doing Olimar's Up Special, the attack would be done normally, only the flying Pikmin would carry Olimar (and any Pikmin) through the air for a bit. Maybe it wouldn't cause any damage or knockback though? Really like the idea of him pretty much pulling out a great recovery more or less randomly.

It'd be neat if the animation gave the illusion of physics at work while a Pikmin essentially carred Olimar by a rope.

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208
I'd vouch for that Pink Flying Pikmin as a recovery booster, like Oasis Said.

I think Rock Pikmin could be good as a Shield Breaker Pikmin.

lordvaati

Smash Master
Switch FC
SW-4918-2392-4599
If they did this, they'd have to make his occurrences rare, like with stitchfaces.
I like that! also maybe it should only have a moderately high appearance on desert/rocky stages.

but yeah, the Pink pikmin will make olimar a beast.

t!MmY

Smash Hero
NNID
t1mmy_smash
Rockmin ftw. XD

I'm thinking they'd hit like Bonsly, which is so strong that I'd expect it to have about the same probability as a Death Veggie.

Sky Pirate

The best defense is a lot of frigging healing
NNID
SkyPirateCoud
3DS FC
1590-4884-8497
Olimar's role in Pikmin 3 hasn't been announced yet, so the possibilities for him are numerous.

He could end up being a boss character (like
Louie in Pikmin 2
), and they could end up using one of the other "captains" as the "pikmin-controlling" character.

They could also announce more pikmin colors and split them between the captains (RBYWP to Olimar, Rock/Flying/whatever others to the newer captain).

Blissard

Smash Lord
Does Pikmin 3 coming out mean that Olimar is pretty much confirmed in Smash 4? :D I remember that before news of Pikmin 3 came out, everyone saying that he was probably gonna get removed from the roster.

Also I miss when Oli was 18th on the tier list :O

DtJ Hilt

Little Lizard
That's the way I see it, Blissy. I doubt Nintendo/Hal would release a major title like Pikmin 3 that people have been waiting for for this long, and not keep Olimar in Smash. Not to mention that none of the characters that were taken out of Brawl from Melee were the only character of their series (which would in effect remove that series from Smash).

My question is, considering Olimar isn't apparently one of the playable characters in Pikmin 3, wil they replace him with one of those that are?

Jockmaster

Smash Ace
If they do implement flying pikmin as an up b recovery, I would like for it to only work if he has already pulled a flying one up. If he doesnt have any flying ones, it would just be his old tether.

Also, I like the idea of rock pikmin being like stitchface turnips. Really low chance of pulling it, but it can KO at real low percents if it is flowered

:phone:

Holder of the Heel

Fiat justitia, pereat mundus
NNID
Roarfang
3DS FC
1332-7720-7283
Switch FC
6734-2078-8990
Having Rock Pikmin be overpowered isn't a good idea, it isn't the same as a stitchface turnip because it would be a lot better, considering it is a stitchface turnip that follows you around and can be used over and over again unless killed or you are KO'ed.

The idea of being a shieldbreaker was suggested a lot in the original SSB4 discussion thread, and it makes the most sense considering that is what it does in Pikmin 3.

Jockmaster

Smash Ace
Yeah, but if it broke shields it would be even more OP than my suggestion. Oli's shield pressure would be overpowering.

An amendment to my previous idea would be that the Rock Pikmin would simply disappear after use. It could like die or something lol

TheFirstPoppyBro

ᕦ_(⌐■+|+■)_ᕤ
NNID
breloomer236
3DS FC
2449-4708-5381
Switch FC
SW-7045-4156-8715
Maybe like Kirby's Olimar ability? Throw it immediately after plucking or after a certain time frame and then dies, maybe?

Neon!

Smash Lord
Olimars grab range better be at least half the length it was in brawl, otherwise i dont plan on playing this game for long.

Big-Cat

Challenge accepted.
NNID
KumaOso
3DS FC
1590-4853-0104
I'll make the suggestion I made in the old thread for Olimar.

Remove the randomness of plucking. You remember how certain terrains raised your chances of pulling certain Pikmin? Let's take that one step further. Every given stage has portions of it where you can pluck a specific Pikmin always. For example, the middle of Final Destination may be where you pluck out blue Pikmin. This makes him a character that emphasizes momentum and truly using the stage to win. I think this would reflect the Pikmin games better than the randomness of Brawl.

Jockmaster

Smash Ace
I kind of like that idea, but then what happens if the communitys accepted stagelist becomes comprised of only stages where blue and red pikmin are pulled?
Then all of a sudden Oli isn't viable whatsoever anymore because he can only pull certain pikmin on bs stages

Claire Diviner

President
NNID
ClaireDiviner
Regarding the Rock Pikmin and how potentially broken they can be, I would imagine their range would be very poor, since even given their rarity, should Olimar whiff with it, he can either throw his other Pikmin or use Pikmin Order until the Rock Pikmin circles around for another go.

That said, should the Rock ones not be broken, then I can see them as having shield-breaking properties, like Marth's Standard B, or DK's Side B.

zyth

Smash Lord
calm down everyone, we havent even seen if there will be more than 2 new types for Pikmin 3. for all we know there could be slime pikmin

Big-Cat

Challenge accepted.
NNID
KumaOso
3DS FC
1590-4853-0104
I kind of like that idea, but then what happens if the communitys accepted stagelist becomes comprised of only stages where blue and red pikmin are pulled?
Then all of a sudden Oli isn't viable whatsoever anymore because he can only pull certain pikmin on bs stages

You misunderstood me. What I'm saying is that a given region of any stage will always pull a specific Pikmin. For example, Final Destination's layout might be like this.

Red-Yellow-Blue-Purple-Pink-Flying-Rock

Each Pikmin region is 1/7th of the entire stage for Final Destination. In this case, the eastern edge is where you get rock Pikmin while the western edge is where you get red Pikmin. Think of it like you have invisible onions there would you get more Pikmin.

Jockmaster

Smash Ace
Ohhhhhh ok well if he could pull every pikmin strategically on each stage that would be very interesting. Stage control would be epic

Sky Pirate

The best defense is a lot of frigging healing
NNID
SkyPirateCoud
3DS FC
1590-4884-8497
So if Olimar gets to the middle of FD against someone like Peach, he auto-wins? Sounds legit.

Seriously though, I really don't like where that would lead. Olimar's pluck areas would become a liability in the same way that walkoffs are.
Like right now, stages aren't banned specifically around the fact that Olimar has certain pluck percentages. It's random and none of them are too extreme.
If he had spots where he could pluck 100% purples on a certain stage, do you think that it would be taken a bit more seriously when considering a stage's legality than it is now?

I'm having such a hard time communicating what I'm trying to say. ^^;
I just think that it would make fighting Olimar (and the game in general) dumber than it already is.

Conviction

Human Nature
3DS FC
1907-8951-4471
Oh wow, I never thought of that.

That would make oli dumb. He would make team ultimate based off where he plucks and no one would want to fight him and stages would get banned because Oli gets too strong too quickly there like how stages are banned for walk off CGs

DtJ Hilt

Little Lizard
They nerfed Purple Pikmin too hard from Pikmin 2 -> Brawl. They need to buff purples to compensate for the lost potential. Purple Pikmin for President.

Goodin

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Goodin
Purple pikmin for 10X strength
But in reality, olimar needs a proper alternate costume.. president pls

Big-Cat

Challenge accepted.
NNID
KumaOso
3DS FC
1590-4853-0104
You do realize that if Olimar could choose which Pikmin he wants, they would be better balanced, right.

cloud9

Smash Cadet
Seeing as Olimar will not be playable in Pikmin 3, it is possible that he might be replaced by a different playable character.

D

Deleted member

He's the star of two games in the series and has an unknown role in 3's story.

I really doubt he's going anywhere.

Diversity

Smash Rookie
Seeing as Olimar will not be playable in Pikmin 3, it is possible that he might be replaced by a different playable character.
Perhaps this time Nintendo will give every character costume changes IE Wario.

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208
He's the star of two games in the series and has an unknown role in 3's story.

I really doubt he's going anywhere.
Essentially this. He probably has a large role based on what Miyamoto said. Plus, it could be like the President in Pikmin 2, where you get to play as him after completion of the main mode. Just a theory.

jigglover

Smash Lord
I don't really like olimar - personally, but super smash bros. is all about bringing nintendo's oldest and most successful characters together. E.g of series' mario, pokemon, zelda, DK, yoshi, ice climber, pikmin!!!!????
FOR GOD SAKE!!! It's had 2 games in the whole f****** series, and it's not even popular. Pikmin is the only series in the game where the first game was released after the SNES, never mind after the DS was released!

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208
...Except it was before the DS. Both games. It has quite a bit of popularity, and it's getting a 3rd game. Heck, Pokemon was only released a few months before the Nintendo 64...

Those are horrid justifications for not being in Smash. By that logic, we shouldn't get Isaac, Ray, Saki, Shulk, Chibi-Robo, Starfy, Miis, or any newer miscellaneous characters...

jigglover

Smash Lord
...Except it was before the DS. Both games. It has quite a bit of popularity, and it's getting a . Heck, Pokemon was only released a few months before the Nintendo 64...
3rd game.

Those are horrid justifications for not being in Smash. By that logic, we shouldn't get Isaac, Ray, Saki, Shulk, Chibi-Robo, Starfy, Miis, or any newer miscellaneous characters...
I'm not overly enthusiastic about any of them either, but they have potential in a moveset, olimar's down B does about nothing so I think that the others are good.

Pokemon is the 2nd best nintendo franchise going by selling odds, it loses only to mario, so I think it's safe to say it's a giant franchise!!!

Top Bottom