• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Olimar

DakotaBonez

The Depraved Optimist
One little difference is he has a built in whistle like the Captains in Pikmin 3 do.

Someone else noticed the whistle too!
I didn't realize it came built in with the new character's suits though.
I like it, now when he whistles it'll make sense where the sounds coming from, I thought it was pretty funny though when he would mimic the whistle action with his hands pressing against the helmet glass.

volbound1700

Smash Master
I am glad Olimar is back even though it was expected. He was one of the most unique additions to Smash Brothers.

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208
Sooooo happy he's back. And the whistle on the helmet's a nice touch!

Curious Villager

Puzzles...
Olimar was indeed a very fun character to play as and I'm happy to see he's back.
I was too busy playing Mario & Luigi Dream Team Bros to be aware that he was confirmed so that's why I'm pretty late to the party... ^^;

Hope to see more characters confirmed soon. ^_^

Gilius Thunderhead

Smash Apprentice
I hope we don't have to wait an entire month for every reveal. Olimar looks great in HD and the Pikmin 3 stage looks amazingly real, but I noticed there are no screenshots of Olimar, WFT or Villager in the 3DS version. hmm....

New_Dumal

Smash Lord
NNID
NewTouchdown
I don't like the character being named > Pikmin and Olimar.
Why not C.Olimar as always ?

Everything else are fine.With this reveal in the Pikmin 3 release day I can now expect Dixie Kong in November.
Why not build a Olimar forum in "SSB4 Character Discussion" ?

Bowserlick

Smash Hero
The name of the new Pikmin is Pikmin 3. Not sure if Olimar is even in this game.

So in order to coincide with the new game, the name change is justifiable from a marketing perspective.

Gilius Thunderhead

Smash Apprentice
I don't like the character being named > Pikmin and Olimar.
Why not C.Olimar as always ?

Everything else are fine.With this reveal in the Pikmin 3 release day I can now expect Dixie Kong in November.
Why not build a Olimar forum in "SSB4 Character Discussion" ?
His name in the brawl dojo and brawl instruction booklet was also "Pikmin & Olimar". The Pikmin are just as much a part of the character as Nana is to Popo or Pokemon is to Pokemon Trainer. They didn't change his name and for the record, yes, Olimar is in Pikmin 3.

Also there is an Olimar forum in SSB4 Character Discussion, it's titled "Pikmin & Olimar".

New_Dumal

Smash Lord
NNID
NewTouchdown
Oh... thanks for the information.
So the char will be "C.Olimar" in the end...I start my love for Smash with Brawl (now I like all the 3 games) and sometimes I lack this kind of Dojo information.
Almost a "newcomer" in the hype for a new game.

Good Guy Giygas

Smash Master
Switch FC
SW-6635-8915-7294
On the dojo website, it says "Warning! Challenger Approaching!" to show Olimar's arrival. So does this mean that he's going to be an unlockable character rather than a starting character like he was in brawl?

Zuby

Smash Journeyman
On the dojo website, it says "Warning! Challenger Approaching!" to show Olimar's arrival. So does this mean that he's going to be an unlockable character rather than a starting character like he was in brawl?
It could do, especially if there's going to be a second Pikmin rep. Going with a long-time series veteran - the legacy character, and then including a newer, almost promotional character for the franchise.

I use Fire Emblem and Mother as case studies:

Fire Emblem
Legacy character: Marth - debut in Melee, unlockable in Brawl
Currency character: Ike - debut in Brawl, starter
(logically leads to Ike being replaced by Chrom and Marth being retained)

Mother
Legacy character: Ness - debut in SSB, unlockable in all appearances
Currency character: Lucas - debut in Brawl, starter

Pikmin
Legacy character: Olimar - debut in Brawl, unlockable in SSB4
Currency character: New Captain - debut in SSB, starter

Reading a pattern that isn't there? Almost certainly, but I think it's a good way to do things whether it's intended or not.

Good Guy Giygas

Smash Master
Switch FC
SW-6635-8915-7294
It could do, especially if there's going to be a second Pikmin rep. Going with a long-time series veteran - the legacy character, and then including a newer, almost promotional character for the franchise.

I use Fire Emblem and Mother as case studies:

Fire Emblem
Legacy character: Marth - debut in Melee, unlockable in Brawl
Currency character: Ike - debut in Brawl, starter
(logically leads to Ike being replaced by Chrom and Marth being retained)

Mother
Legacy character: Ness - debut in SSB, unlockable in all appearances
Currency character: Lucas - debut in Brawl, starter

Pikmin
Legacy character: Olimar - debut in Brawl, unlockable in SSB4
Currency character: New Captain - debut in SSB, starter

Reading a pattern that isn't there? Almost certainly, but I think it's a good way to do things whether it's intended or not.
Those are some really good points, I guess I never really thought of that before. Thanks!

MargnetMan23

Smash Lord
My theory is that he'll do that for every single character he reveals on the site, so frankly though it's not impossible it shouldn't be taken as a general rule

Curious Villager

Puzzles...
Nope, Sakurai did the same thing for the Brawl starter newcomers during the Brawl Dojo updates. This isn't any different except that he's apparently doing it for the vets as well now.

_R@bid_

Smash Journeyman
From PM character idea suggestion thread.

I'd say that if Olimar needs anything as far as balance is concerned, his pikmin needs to be invulnerable during usmash's start-up, so that Olimar can't be stuffed out of usmash by any move in the game when he's trying to use it as an anti-pressure option. It's also prudent to nerf whistle armor by making the window smaller, and making the full move last longer, so there's more reward for timing it and less reward for spamming it. Pluck absolutely should not be slower. Pikmin are Olimar, and nerfing the ability to have Pikmin at all times takes away Olimar's ability to be a character.

As far as more aesthetic changes, I think there should be more incentive and tools for line management. Line management is a big part of high-level Olimar play, but really the rewards are usually not very huge, and the tools are incredibly limited.

Now, this discussion necessitates a bit of a detour into the randomness of Pikmin summons. So there's a bit of a double edged sword here. The randomness of Olimar's Pikmin makes their usefulness dependent on a roll of the dice (or more accurately a cycle of the RNG). If you randomly pluck six whites against Fox, then that sucks for you. In that light, the randomness of the Pikmin can be a huge bane for Olimar if he gets unlucky. The inconsistent effectiveness of Pikmin plucks is what necessitates line management at all. Line management allows the player to turn his line from a useless bunch of Pikmin into a viable gameplan. So that presents a dilemma for people who want to get rid of randomness: If you get rid of it, the most interesting and involved aspect of Olimar is no longer necessary, and Olimar's game becomes even more one-dimensional.

So we can't just get rid of randomness. We have to mitigate it. Brawl did this in two ways. First off, it allowed the player to control which Pikmin were in line at what time by using Whistle, and by throwing away Pikmin he didn't need. Pikmin attacks could also be used to subtly alter the line order. The problem is, this doesn't really provide a full repertoire of line management options. Attacking to change line order is a huge time commitment in a fast-paced fighting game, and killing Pikmin is a slow, painstaking process that leaves Olimar weakened for much longer than necessary. Because Olimar lacked effective methods of certain line-management options, randomness could still hinder Olimar, especially if he plucked a Pikmin that was more a liability in a given match-up than an asset.

So Brawl also employed a second way to make randomness less impactful. It homogenized Pikmin. While Pikmin do have different properties in Brawl, only whites and purples are particularly specialized. Reds, blues and yellows are by and large interchangeable. If you have a yellow next in line but would like a red for the better attack damage, that's okay, because the difference isn't much more than 4% on most attacks (uair being a notable exception). Stuff like that makes it easier to be less worried about the Pikmin that's next in line.

Rather than go with a homogenized Pikmin line and fewer options for line management, I'd rather go with improving Olimar's options for line management, and making it more necessary and rewarding by giving each Pikmin much more specialized roles.

I'll start off with line management:
UpB: Pikmin Footstool - Olimar footstools off of one of his Pikmin, killing it in the process. This isn't really my idea. It's been floating around a while, and I realize that it's pretty much impossible to implement by having Olimar literally jump off one of his Pikmin, but I do think it should be possible to make it look like that's what he's doing. What I like about this is that it can be done such that Olimar can react very quickly after he's performed the jump, allowing him to waveland after a grounded UpB, making farming very quick and safe. Naturally, it also doubles as a recovery move that can be acted out of, but has a cost.

NeutralB: Pluck - The move is no longer useless in the air or with a full line. In either of these situations, rather than pluck a new Pikmin, Olimar rotates the line by one. This is distinct from Whistle because Whistle not only recalls thrown Pikmin, but also always puts them in the same order, with a pre-determined color at the front. Futhermore, extend the utility of smash pluck canceling by allowing the ending lag of pluck to be canceled by any move that uses Pikmin--any of his smashes, grabs, non-neutral aerials, or specials, basically. This makes it much easier to incorporate line management into Olimar's offense, so that he doesn't have to let off the pressure in order to get the Pikmin that he wants.

The rest of Olimar's specials are fine as they are. So what about specializing the Pikmin:

Red Pikmin are Olimar's Attack Damage Pikmin. They do the most damage on normal attacks, but aren't as effective with throw or latch damage, and they have poor health. They also have sub-par knockback growth, beating only Whites in that category. This does make them more effective in combos, however, especially at percents where other Pikmin would be knocking opponents too far. They also have less range and active frames than most Pikmin. Also, usmash and uair are meteors on grounded opponents (dair is always a meteor, so there's also that).

Blue Pikmin are best when throwing opponents. They have mediocre health, and on attacks an latches they have mediocre or even poor knockback, damage and range, but they have the longest grab-range, the second most damaging pummel, and the best knockback and damage on all throws.

Yellow Pikmin are more used for zoning and space control. They have the largest and longest-active hitboxes of all the Pikmin, and the longest range on fsmash. Toss retains the higher arc from Brawl. Otherwise, they have mediocre damage and above average health, and the knockback is best for its low angles.

White Pikmin continue to be the latch DPS Pikmin. They have the worst health, and they have the worst damage and knockback on attacks and throws, and their range is mediocre, but their pummel and latch damage is unparalleled. They also retain their long Toss range.

Purples also continue to be the tanks. They have great health and phenomenal knockback growth. They also have pretty good attack damage, second only to reds. However, they have terrible range, and they aren't great for throws. They continue to just hit opponents when thrown rather than latching.

With these changes, randomness is further mitigated by having many more options to counteract its effects. This allows the properties of the Pikmin to be more specialized, which in turn makes it more necessary for Olimar mains to become more proficient in line management.
On the footstool up B.
That's actually really cool. He could up-b multiple times kinda like ROB, until he runs out of Pikmin. So it would behoove the Olimar player to keep enough Pikmin in stock to stay alive.

Ryan.

Smash Lord
I used to think Olimar was horrible in Brawl until I started playing as him more and learned how to use him. He's a very good character and I can't wait to play as him in the new game. I wonder if any of his moves will be different.

IAm2Sarcastic4U

Smash Journeyman
I used to think Olimar was horrible in Brawl until I started playing as him more and learned how to use him. He's a very good character and I can't wait to play as him in the new game. I wonder if any of his moves will be different.
This is exactly how I felt. One day, me and a group of friends decided to play as characters in Brawl in which we'd never pick otherwise. I went with Olimar and I've been using him since.

NNID
Majorasmask66
Captain olimar was my main in brawl. if mewtwo comes back however than goodbye olimar. and by that i mean hes a back up.

DtJ Hilt

Little Lizard
So am I the only one that thinks that, unless there's huge changes to Olimar's game, he's gonna get rocked by Little Mac?

mimgrim

Smash Hero
So am I the only one that thinks that, unless there's huge changes to Olimar's game, he's gonna get rocked by Little Mac?
I don't think so. I'm going to be going under the presumption of no changes of moves or properties from Brawl.

If I'm not mistaken, Super Armor shouldn't stop Pikmin from latching onto a character, if indeed Mac does have Super Armor moves as is being speculated. So he can do the range game good enough. Olimar also has his whistle which gives him Super Armor. Thanks to the speed of Olimar’s Smashes he has a good ground game himself, though probably not as good as Mac’s, and has an excellent juggle game, and Mac is supposed to have a really bad air game.

Honestly, I could see it being closer to even rather than either having a big advantage.

Last edited:

Master_Morrison

Smash Cadet
Ya I feel if olimar doesn't become nerfed in any way that he will still be top tier and will have a field day with little Mac as olimar has an amazing grab game and mostly only air based characters do well against him like Marth and metaknight
Hopefully they don't add more characters like metaknight lol

Floor

Floor | Defiant of Destiny
NNID
SerPete
3DS FC
1736-3913-7675
I am glad Olimar made it because he is fun to use, but I am worried he is taking up roster space. They will definitely have to improve him...

Pacack

Super Pac-Fan
NNID
Pacack
3DS FC
0688-5284-6845
Hey, Olimar fans! I'm working on a project that you might have heard of called Project: Thank You Sakurai! (If you haven't heard of it, you should check it out.) and I'm currently doing a poll to determine which characters should be on the virtual card that we're making for him. I would appreciate it if you guys would check it out here and vote for who you like. Olimar is just shy of being a lock and needs a few more votes to make it in. I would really appreciate it if you guys helped me out by voting for him (and others) in the poll.

Aguki90

Smash Ace
NNID
Aguki900
3DS FC
2423-2759-1478
Olimar is my favorate character they need to toned down a bi,t is a bit overpower hitter and hit hard, Even is had bad recovery, the air attacks (especially front and back) are beast, and have great ground and strong attack with each Pikmin.

Olimar Should carry at least 5 pikmin (types of color can varied.) The pikmin are stats attack are great like:
Red Pikmin can deal some serous damage attack with fire and resisted, to myself the fire are one of the best but they need to toned down a bit.
Yellow Pikmin throw higher and resist electricity, I think the shock need to be more shocking when the Pikmin catch a opponent and start hitting little a little over him but that would be a little broken, better they keep their shocking effect better when Olimar use it.
Blue Pikmin The blue is nearly perfection like the grabs attack are stronger than ever, They can swim, and have no effect but sometime are soo useless when he attack and I think they should upgrade that like:Less damage but good knock back, is like a extra push
Purple Pikmin This obvious the most powerful and one of the best balanced one yet, firt there ranged is great short and not so far but inside of them are full of power hit and strongest knockback, even there grab don't do high damage like the blue pals the purple do more knockback, I think they there the only one who dont need a change. (Even the air attack are short range but strong knockback and the grab is shorted, don't resisted any element but he resist lot of hit.)
White Pikmin I have problem with these fellas, the ranged of throw is longer and faster than any other pikmin and the poison effect is one of the coolest in the game but, there very weak, they die very easily in one or shot hits and they resist almost nothing in the game, and they hit kinda weak and even very small knockback (even blue pikmin is kinda superior thanks to his strong grab), each time I use it is feel useless, that why I sacrifice. I hope the white pikmin act like in project M because that was very cool effect.

I think Olimar need a new regular attack like in Pikmin 2 that have finishing punch. Because I wanted that in brawl but never happened, I was disappoint and this time they need to add this attack.

Some time the Pikmin ignore my call when I use the whistle in very akward way, I hope they upgrade a little bit.

Olimar air regular attack is kind anoying but the up attack are very easy to be hit and do some nasty combo.

The Up Smash attack is away to fast.

JamesDNaux

Smash Hero
NNID
JamesDNaux
needs some more love, I've thought of some ways to make Flying and Rock Pikmin unique. I've detailed each Pikmin type because of a few changes.
[collapse=Pikmin Types]
Red Pikmin
  • Stats: Medium Health, Medium Hitbox
  • Element: Fire Damage, Fire Immunity, Drowns Instantly
  • Smashes: High Damage, High Knockback, Medium Range, Medium Speed
  • Aerials: High Damage, High Knockback, Medium Speed, Strong Meteor
  • Throws: Low Damage, Low Knockback, Low Range, Medium Speed
  • Pikmin Toss: Medium Damage, Medium Range, Medium Speed, Straight Path
Yellow Pikmin
  • Stats: Medium Health, Large Hitbox
  • Element: Electric Damage, Electric Immunity, Can't Swim
  • Smashes: Medium Damage, Medium Knockback, High Range, Quick Speed
  • Aerials: Medium Damage, Medium Knockback, Quick Speed, Good Meteor
  • Throws: Medium Damage, Low Knockback, Low Range, Quick Speed,
  • Pikmin Toss: Medium Damage, Low Range, Low Speed, Arched Path
Blue Pikmin
  • Stats: High Health, Medium Hitbox
  • Element: Regular Damage, Water Immunity, Swims Indefinitely
  • Smashes: Medium Damage, Medium Knockback, Low Range, Medium Speed
  • Aerials: Medium Damage, Medium Knockback, Quick Speed, Good Meteor
  • Throws: High Damage, High Knockback, High Range, Quick Speed
  • Pikmin Toss: Low Damage, Medium Range, Medium Speed, Straight Path
White Pikmin
  • Stats: Low Health, Small Hitbox
  • Element: Poison Damage, No Immunity, Can't Swim
  • Smashes: Low Damage, Low Knockback, High Range, Quick Speed
  • Aerials: Low Damage, Low Knockback, Quick Speed, Weak Meteor
  • Throws: High Damage, Medium Knockback, High Range, Quick Speed
  • Pikmin Toss: High Damage, High Range, Quick Speed, Straight Path
Purple Pikmin
  • Stats: High Health, Large Hitbox
  • Element: Smash Damage, No Immunity, Can't Swim
  • Smashes: High Damage, High Knockback, Low Range, Slow Speed
  • Aerials: High Damage, High Knockback, Slow Speed, Strong Meteor
  • Throws: Medium Damage, High Knockback, Low Range, Slow Speed
  • Pikmin Toss: Medium Damage, Low Range, Slow Speed, High Knockback
Pink Pikmin
  • Stats: Low Health, Small Hitbox
  • Element: Increased Recovery, No Immunity, Can't Drown
  • Smashes: Low Damage, Low Knockback, High Range, Quick Speed
  • Aerials: Medium Damage, Low Knockback, Quick Speed, Weak Meteor
  • Throws: Low Damage, High Knockback, High Range, Quick Speed
  • Pikmin Toss: Low Damage, High Range, Quick Speed, Tracking Path
Rock Pikmin
  • Stats: High Health, Large Hitbox
  • Element: Shield Breaker, Buffer Immunity, Drowns Instantly
  • Smashes: High Damage, Medium Knockback, Low Range, Slow Speed
  • Aerials: Low Damage, Medium Knockback, Slow Speed, Strong Meteor
  • Throws: High Damage, Low Knockback, Low Range, Slow Speed
  • Pikmin Toss: High Damage, Low Range, Medium Speed, Low Knockback
[/collapse]
The main draw of Flying and Rock Pikmin is that they can bring better recovery and shield breaking properties respectively.

Last edited:

Vinylic.

Woke?
Switch FC
SW-5214-5959-4787
Oh my god, I've never felt more sorry in my life for you folks after I've heard it's only 3 pikmin now. Hopefully you'll continue to find various advantages with this.

Top Bottom