• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Oklahoma Thread: Weekly events for all games in OKC and Tulsa

Sars_Pirate

Smash Lord
I wanna get more into comics, but it's hard. There's too much of a pedigree/lineage, and it's a daunting task to try and read what you know you can't finish or fully envelop.

That's why for American comics, I like reading more "one-shot" (I guess is what you call them) comics like Sandman or really influential arcs that shape a lot of the superhero universe.

But I agree that it's a lot about taste as well. Whatever you get introduced to first.

Zinth

Smash Apprentice
I wanna get more into comics, but it's hard. There's too much of a pedigree/lineage, and it's a daunting task to try and read what you know you can't finish or fully envelop.

That's why for American comics, I like reading more "one-shot" (I guess is what you call them) comics like Sandman or really influential arcs that shape a lot of the superhero universe.

But I agree that it's a lot about taste as well. Whatever you get introduced to first.
That has been my experience with comics. Pretty much all of the comics I've read were part of the American Superheroes course I took. I really liked the graphic novels like The Dark Knight Returns, Watchmen, Batman: Year One, and The Killing Joke. I've been to comic stores a few times but then getting into an following the comics seems a really daunting task, because I'll buy a Batman comic and have no idea what the context/backstory is. But, maybe there's ThePirateBay for that? Need to check. I've read selected Batman/other superhero comics from each decade from the 1940s (which includes like 1939) to the 1980s, and they are pretty fun to read. For the American Superheroes class I took, I wrote essays about 1940s Batman comics, The Dark Knight Returns, and Watchmen and how they commented on the American culture of the time -- if anyone ever wants to read those, I can share them. That American Superheroes class was actually one of the most challenging courses I've ever taken, because your writing was graded pretty seriously.

Props to Alex for actually following all the comics.

And yeah, about exposure, I saw Tim Burton's "Batman" when I was like three and there's been a part of me that's been obsessed with Batman ever since, so that definitely applies to me.

Also, Edmond peeps: we need to chill this week.

Hazygoose

Smash Lord
yeah, eriq, i was playing pretty badly that night, though...hence the fox.
crutch fox ftw.

edit: bryan...just hit me up whenever dude. jer's already on season 3 of merlin, you've gotta get on this train, man!

Cactuarz

Smash Ace
fox? are you sure? the person i teamed with switch a lot between sheik/fox/uhhh, was it really those 2? i know i played fox/peach/zelda... that's it? oh god, i didn't play near enough chars haha

Sars_Pirate

Smash Lord
I don't know who cares, but this is M2K in Japan playing melee GFs.

<_< I haven't watched it so i don't know if it's good or not

Zinth

Smash Apprentice
I don't know who cares, but this is M2K in Japan playing melee GFs.

<_< I haven't watched it so i don't know if it's good or not
What is "this"? I want to watch it :o

Melee is super fun. So is Project M. Brawl is also probably still fun. And let's not forget Smash 64. I think I've had an epiphany in that I've discovered that ultimately the real joy of the games is working to figure out your opponent -- that is, what I would say are the dynamics -- rather than just the more static "doing" of the game (though that amplifies the enjoyment of the dynamics and is still really really fun by itself).

Also, I'm going to be a TA for CS 2334: Programming Structures and Abstractions this semester. I took that class in the only semester in which I had 18 hours, but incidentally that was probably the semester in my entire undergraduate career where I destroyed my classes the hardest. The classes were also all at like the 2000-level, though, so it's not like they were actually that difficult. I should have kept that "overachievement" up and worked enough so that I won the Computer Engineering outstanding senior award, but I've learned from my mistakes of the past, become more mature, and developed more of a sense of direction in my life now, so I am going to go for the CS outstanding graduate student award. I'm shooting big now. Most important of all, though, is that I think graduate school will be really fun for me. Rambling over.

Triforce Of Chozo

Smash Ace
As I said on the video itself, that apartment doesn't look very bad at all. And if 36 people were staying there, 80 pop-tarts is nothing. ****, even if it was only 10 people eating pop-tarts that's not anything special. I can eat eight in a day, let alone over three days. That could have been five people eating 80 pop-tarts in a weekend if that's all they really ate.

Zinth

Smash Apprentice
Yeah man, Xyro, I don't know if you were (a) being sarcastic and of course it was no big deal but Sync nonetheless got really mad and you were satirizing him for it, or (b) you actually think that the post 36-person-housing condition of the house was actually a big problem. However, given what I know about you, and given the fact that of course housing 36 people is a ridiculous task and the place definitely didn't come out of it very badly at all, I'm going to go with (a).

The point is, that was quite an audacious post for all the relevance it had to this thread. But then again, you've quite often been one of the more audacious people around here.

Sars_Pirate

Smash Lord
Yo guys, it's almost been two years since we went to that St Louis tournament.

Is that crazy to anyone else? <_< Does not seem like it was 2 years ago to me.

3DS FC
5301-0744-1149
The one where we went and took pictures at the arch lol
answer of the year goes to Yawara for stating the obvious :mad: (daughter made me put the mad face)

i believe it was HD Remix....

about that... really the last tournament we all went together to. i think the last one we went with forest too... those fast food joints didnt know what hit them when he ordered lol

melee sunday afternoon? maybe? after i possibly melee ill be going to club Frequency. never been.
but ya more importantly who wants to melee? either in norman or in okc? PAY$ i might hit you up. anyone else down?

Vegafuse

Smash Apprentice
For everyone that plays Project:M and UMvC3, Final Crusade 2 will be on September 8th in Fort Worth.

http://www.smashboards.com/showthread.php?t=326252

For those that like to return home the same day they show up at the tournament, it's a one day event. We have about a month to brush up those skills, anyone down? I'll try to make it :)

I've played Persona 4 Arena twice already and it's really good. I use Yosuke.

Edit: Those TAS falcos were sick. Does anyone know if SmashDI's like that are humanly possible?

melon_bread

Smash Rookie
Nobody expects the Spanish Inquisition. Amongst their weaponry are such diverse elements as fear, surprise, ruthless efficiency, an almost fanatical devotion to the Pope, and nice, red uniforms.

Typ_Ex

Smash Lord
***** ill take your *** for a cruise!

...also are you going to be in norman friday? chucks coming up and some mini golf is in order. we plan on leaving saturday for dmt.

Mr. Johan

Smash Hero
NNID
Sonicboom93
Cruises are fun.

I have work on Saturday, so I can't head to DMT despite wanting to. I'm definitely up for 9-1 though.

Sars_Pirate

Smash Lord
So I'm gonna be leaving on Sunday to get to Oklahoma so let's do something soon HOLLA

Also I don't have a phone lol I left it in Korea

Sars_Pirate

Smash Lord
Yo Karl or Cactuarz or Bryan, one of you should hit me up with your address soon so I can also pickup my **** from your place and chill on Monday lol

Top Bottom