• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Oklahoma Thread: Weekly events for all games in OKC and Tulsa

po pimpus

Smash Ace
Paemon, would you(and your whack big brother)be interested in a Melee tournament sometime soon? How about the rest of you bums?
Tom, what about you and the Brawl guys? Are you down for some tournament action?
Why is Po gauging interest you say?

Because, against my better judgment, I am going to see what I can do about reviving the tournament scene here in this ghost town of a state. I've been sleeping on it and thinking, and I'm tired of waiting for something to happen. I hate to see the community I love in such a state, and I feel as one of the originators of this thing I should give the community one last shot to save itself.

One warning: This is the one and only time I'm going to stick my neck out like this, so I'm going to do it the best I can. That means I'm going to hype this up and talk as much **** as possible while doing it.

Tom, if the Brawl people want in on this, I'd welcome it, but I'll need your help. I'd like you to be my ambassador for Tulsa and see if we can get the band back together. Yawara, I know you just got back, and I don't want to put any work on you, but if you could network a little maybe we could dredge up some OOS interest as well, and turn it into a real party.

Right now, I'm shooting for an October date. I want every OK player there--no bull****. So if the date doesn't work, speak up.
I don't want to conflict with any other upcoming tournies. I'm checking OKC for venues, but I'm not seeing anything that wouldn't cost us an arm and a leg. We may need a Norman venue and if that's the case, I'd like help from you Normanites and OU students to try and secure a location.

So I've got an idea and need help. If you guys still give a damn about competition, feel free to chime in. OK Smash doesn't have to be a walking corpse... Help me revive it!

Cactuarz

Smash Ace
give me a solid date a month ahead of time and i'll use vacation days to make a tourney. I'll pester dualcatz/andy/zinth until they make it happen too ^^ if i had more connections here i'd bring them too =p

+1 vote for doubles/project M/both as side events

pay.$.

Smash Cadet
okay first of all I'm not saying that I do not have a venue picked I do though have a venue idea but if I find out that they will let us have it I will tell you asap about it but as of now no I just have an idea for a venue (more on this in the future)

:phone:

po pimpus

Smash Ace
That's cool, Paemon. Just keep me updated either here or in PM. If anyone else has any ideas or suggestions feel free to post up. Right now, all I'm working with is an idea and a few hopes. But I know if we band together we can make a successful event happen.

Triforce Of Chozo

Smash Ace
I was planning on trying to start a semi-casual semi-competitive brawl scene to run alongside the traditional competitive scene in hopes of increasing our player-base overall and growing the community. Being one of the newer smashers who doesn't win money and therefore doesn't play for money, I'm more interested in getting maximum involvement and enjoyment for players of all levels as opposed to focusing on the big names and trying to hype people up to "play against the best." Call me soft, but I don't really care how good the community is as long as there is one.

Typ_Ex

Smash Lord
brandon, i wouldnt mind being the ambassador. As it stands I believe we have 15-20 people that play brawl in OK that i know of.

pay.$.

Smash Cadet
Vegafuse u big Old slow bro, it won't matter if u practice or not because we all know that I'm ganna win because I'm the best in the soufwest. Holla!
I'm out to defeat all of the southwest.
click click clack clack whats that sound it's my heat with the family crest on its bird beak . beep beep try to move past and ill put you 6 feet deep with that down B. BECAUSE I'm just too good. Peace.

Ps. brawl sucks

po pimpus

Smash Ace
Now Paemon, be nice. The Brawl community are friends. They also are most likely going to be the guys that will offer up the majority of help and hype. Also, I think Pablo will have your number most likely. He's still got those muscles, lol.

Tom, that's great. I figured Brawl was still pretty active. That's a good number of players right there. Do you guys still have connections with OK Gamers? Maybe we could coordinate with them as far as advertising and stuff.

Hey, Normanites: Are any of you guys current students at OU? If one of you guys could get us a discounted room at the Union, it would be a great help. Having a venue already reserved will put us where we need to be. We're shooting for an October date.

One last note, where are my Melee heads at? Is this it? Just Po, Pablo, Yawara, Cactuarz and Paemon?
Where are the rest of you guys hiding? Get your butts out here and post up! NO EXCUSES.

pay.$.

Smash Cadet
When am I ever nice? Besides the point tho. If you or we or whatever think of a date I would have an Ezer time with the venue I'm thinking of.

But yea I still don't like brawl at all.
It's like melee but for ******** people

po pimpus

Smash Ace
I'm looking at the either the second or third week in October for the date. So either Oct. 13-14, or Oct. 20-21. I think either of those are solid dates to lock in. So everyone let me know which one is better for you guys. Or I guess the five people who have actually expressed interest, lol.

I know you speak your mind, Pay$, but the Brawl community has been nothing but nice and welcoming. They've even hosted Melee guys when we had tournies here, just because. I don't think its fair to bash their game of choice constantly. It's not Brawl's fault this community is in the toilet... They actually SHOW UP to events and support their game, whether its a 16 or 200-man tournament.

So as of RIGHT NOW, the Brawl community is the only community that seems to care about what I'm trying to do... That makes them cool in my book.

Typ_Ex

Smash Lord
neggas.

anyway, i try to distance myself from OKgamers due to personal beef. We have in with a club at OU called 1Cog.

as for the note of inactivity, it is to my knowledge that a fair amount of us still travel. However, it is really whoever wants to travel with me.

pay.$.

Smash Cadet
Well if a brawl player could show me an impressive match of the game then ...... Idk I'm sure id still hate it

po pimpus

Smash Ace
Yeah, when I was talking about the lack of activity, it wasn't Brawl players I had in mind... Is there something going on this weekend, Tom? I was thinking we could meet up and go over my plans if you've got time, man.

And don't take anything Pay$ says about Brawl too seriously. He's almost a bigger troll than I am... Almost.

Chris, I see you lurking, son. Please believe I want a Persona setup if we get this thing going :)

Typ_Ex

Smash Lord
i might be working this weekend. other than that i have got nothing. If we were to plan something, i think it would be good to bring a few people along with me. Seeing as we have a somewhat tourney in the making planned anyway.

DMG

Smash Legend
Slippi.gg
DMG#931
It's not addictive. It's solid but not addictive.

pay.$.

Smash Cadet
No I just hate brawl and live in america

And someone should do a smash fest this weekend, I would but my place is really small, and maybe could fit 6 people (including myself my girl and my room mate) comfortable.

po pimpus

Smash Ace
It will be both... hopefully.

But I haven't heard much interest from the local Melee community outside of like 3 people. However, there seems to be enough out of state interest that I think it will work. Right now, we're looking at a mid-October date... Is that good for the St. Louis peeps? What about Texas? G.Vice are you guys down to visit OK in 2 months?

G. Vice

Smash Lord
It will be both... hopefully.

But I haven't heard much interest from the local Melee community outside of like 3 people. However, there seems to be enough out of state interest that I think it will work. Right now, we're looking at a mid-October date... Is that good for the St. Louis peeps? What about Texas? G.Vice are you guys down to visit OK in 2 months?
If I get a chance to come I will. I don't know about the rest of Arkansas traveling, but I know that me and VTS are interested. I'm not sure exactly what's going to be going on because I have work and stuff going on. It just depends on my schedule in the hospital the week of the tournament.

pay.$.

Smash Cadet
The people have my number hit me up this week end

BTW who is running the tournament, you don't want me to because I would make a lot of other rules. I will if necessary though

melon_bread

Smash Rookie
Pay$.

$100 money match whenever the tournament is, your best character vs any low tier you choose.

Top Bottom