• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Oklahoma Thread: Weekly events for all games in OKC and Tulsa

3DS FC
5301-0744-1149
Welcome to Oklahoma's Smash Thread, a place to discuss recent happenings and tournaments within the state of Oklahoma.

So kick off your shoes, relax with a bag of gummy bears, remember to GET BIG! MARIO BIG!!

We have weeklies in Tulsa, Moore, Norman. Jump into the facebook pages to find out what days they fall on for your games!
The Scene is much more active on facebook.

Project M

Melee

Smash 4

Smash 64

Last edited:

Vegafuse

Smash Apprentice
Hey

Sup Dandude, actually there is a handful of active competitive smashers down here. Let us know if you want to get some games in sometime. I may also hold a mini-tourny sometime this winter break so you can just hold out till then.

Seriously, THIRD thread with the same name..... lets keep this one updated so others can find it.

RosterImposter

Smash Cadet
Im a Oklahoma player (OKC Yea Yea), I know of a few (6 or so) that would love to get together and play a tourny.

D

Dandude

Awesome. I have about 4 or 5 friends that like to play a lot here in the Muskogee area. That's kinda far, but hey, at least we're in the same state.

South_Paw

Smash Ace
Hey guys...

I'm in Phoenix, Az. for college right now, but I go home to Oklahoma (bout an hour south of Muskogee) for Christmas break (Dec. 21st or so to around beginning of Jan) and I'd love to help get a tournament going, since I have virtually no-one to smash with while I'm there and I don't think going three weeks with absolutely no smashing is a good thing, I'd be willing to help you guys get something going this christmas break, in fact, i might be able to convince some old friends to come.

Vegafuse

Smash Apprentice
Sounds good fellas, I'll have more of an update soon. Trying to get things together before I announce anything official.

Shade_

Smash Ace
So hows it going everyone, I live in OKC and me my brother and 2 friends would love to have a tourniment sometime soon with you guys, hard to find decent competition around here,

Hey do you guys have any vids up of you fighting? If so I would like to see it, I hear there might be a tourniment sometime in the following weeks or in Christmas break, I will definetely be there with my friends and we would like to record the matches and put them online on our site, If thats Ok with any of you that will be there. "assuming there is one"

Anyway her's our site if you would like to see some of me and my friends fights, www.omegazorgon.com/smashbros , these are old vids and are already out dated "alot" but there fun to watch. My old name was Silver Fox, so thats who that is if you wonder.

When ever any one knows the date and place of a local tourny please let me know to.

Z

z_snap

I'm one of those friends that shade was talking about, and im the snap in those videos, but i have a new name now. And chances are that I'll be able to go that tournament.

Shade_

Smash Ace
So this is about 18 people that will be able to a tourniment if we have one, thats not so bad, I will try to get some more people to come.

po pimpus

Smash Ace
YEEESSSS! Finally, Oklahoma's Smashers appear! I'm one of Vegafuse's smash buddies, so I can definitely vouch for his passion for Smash. He called me the other day and says he is doing everything he can to make sure this goes down. My best friend and possibly a couple of other guys would certainly make it to a tourney anywhere in OK. Let's keep this thread bumped and make it happen, people!!

S

shinryuken

Rock on

I'm one of those friends dandude was talking about. We need to get this thing together during Christmas break.

Shade_

Smash Ace
So how exactly is this going to go down, are we going to do a 1 on 1 tourniment and then if we have time do 2 on 2 tourniment as well, because that would be cool to.

Also is their going to be a price or is it going to just be for fun, Either way I will come and so will every one of my other friends, but I am just curious. And would we need to bring TV's, controllers, Cube's, or anything, even a memory card. Cuz if there is a need I will bring mine.

Christmas break sounds pretty good to me and won't be a problem for me or my friends. So if any one hears when It is going to happen let me know, My aim is Shade zr.
Thanks alot any way, Later.

RosterImposter

Smash Cadet
Yup, I know some people that would like to have a tourny. If this will happen, hit me up at Roster Imposter at aim or post it here. Would this be OK's first unofficial tourny?

Shade_

Smash Ace
No I know that in some schools that there are some smash bros tourniments, like during lunch, and you pay like ten bucks, and if you win you get the entire lot, the only thing is I don't go to that school and by the time I get out of mine its over.

If thats what your talking about any way.

South_Paw

Smash Ace
Well, Idk about you guys. But if we want for the top-end players to pay attention, then we should run it like it's a top-end tournament. Depending on where it is and such... If we can get get the place to host it without having to pay anything, then we could just have an entry fee of like three bucks or something. But, if we're expecting LOTS of people, then we could have it maybe even be five. And of course it should be run like an official tourney...

What say you guys? Oh yeah, since I'm not there I can't exactly look for places to host it or whatever, so if you guys have any ideas, post em or whatever. If it's gonna be in Muskogee I could prob. help out with ideas for places... And somebody should make some fliers!

KOS-MOS

Smash Journeyman
I live in the Oklahoma City area and would also like to participate in a tournament. I would like to see how I fair against other people and not CPUs.

Shade_

Smash Ace
Well from talking to Vegafuse, who is supposed to host it "I think"
he said it would be in OU.

I am sure the rules would be like an officail tourny though. but I think it was planned to be there.

I still don't know when it will be though, other than sometime in christmas break. Or how much it costs.

Vegafuse

Smash Apprentice
Sorry for the delay guys, but I don't have access to a computer like I did at home (spending time out-of-town).

I see that some of you are concerned about the rules and layout of the tourny, but I guarantee you that I do intend to host it on the same standards as major ones. MOAST rules are a good example of what I'm talking about, and if you have any questions on them, let me know. I'll post the official rules next week. As for entree fee, it all depends on the cost on reservation of the Sooner Room. It might range from $30-$75 to reserve it so the fee may vary from $5-$15. The pot split will be decided on the outcome of attendance or you can give me ideas on what you want.

The problem I'm currently facing is the date on which to hold this. I may have to ask for feedback, because I don't know when is the best time for everyone during the holidays. I actually prefer a Saturday, but I can't do it this weekend and the other upcoming two are the days prior to Christmas and New Years (the OU Union might get packed on New Year's Eve).... so I will leave it up to you guys to decide.

Nothing's truely official right now, but I'll try to keep you okies updated and hopefully this will be the start of something big.

EDIT: Actually, if you guys have any ideas of alternative places, feel free to let me know. I also want to start a list of who's coming for sure too just for convenient purposes.

Shade_

Smash Ace
If it is still in OU, for sure I will go, if it ends up being more than an hour or so away from OKC, though, I might not be able to make it, and that would be horrible,

But yah so far, I will be there and so will 3 of my friends.

5 to 15 dollars sound alright with me.

South_Paw

Smash Ace
Hey Vegafuse, do you have a IM or some way I could get a hold of you? I got a couple already, I'd just kinda like to keep in contact since ur gonna be running this tourney... keep us posted! :-)

~S.Paw

Scud

Smash Apprentice
Hey guys I live in Norman. I would love to go to a tournament, especially if it was at OU (very close to me!). I really hope you guys can get this tournament to work out, because I would definately plan on going. :)

S

shinryuken

Alright people we need to get this show on the road! First, we need to know who's going to be in charge. Second, when is it going to be. Were all talking about it but nobodys taking action. I don't live in Norman nor do I have any connections with the OU peoples. So could someone help....

Scud

Smash Apprentice
vegafuse is going to be in charge, we arent for sure when it is going to be. I think we should do it next week on a weekday. I could do it anytime during the break really... I think vegafuse is supposed to be contacting the OU people.
South Paw is also helping getting it together..........but yes I am hoping to get an exact date and place so this tourney actually works out.

Shade_

Smash Ace
Good, the break is nearing very close, I was getting a little worried, with no one saying anything for a while.

Kaos29

Smash Cadet
Wow, surprised how many people in Oklahoma are smashers. I'm decent, but prolly would get owned by you guys. I might come watch, depending if you allow spectators and when it's gonna be held. :)

Shade_

Smash Ace
I wouldn't mind if you did. But I can't decicde that,

Alright, its the winter break, at least for me, Vegafuse, please try to get the date down as fast as possible, I don't mean to rush you, but you have take into account how long it will take for everyone to check this site and know when to get here. But we still have a good 2 weeks I guess.

Sorry If I sound a little impatient.

E

Eazy Bone

I'm a smash player from Oklahoma, I live in Moore. But like Kaos I would much rather watch than compete because I'm not that good, still got a lot of practice, especially with no players around here.

South_Paw

Smash Ace
Yeah, I'm kinda with shade on this one, but I think I can speak for many of us when i say that its more eagerness than impatience. But still, I don't have a lot of time here...

And you other guys who just want to "watch". You learn WAY more by playing someone than by watching them, even if they completely destroy you... Trust me, I've been there, lol.

Kaos29

Smash Cadet
Well, i might be good, dunno. I saw this video of Samus playing Marth, and it looked like I could probably do most of the stuff that she did... and btw I'm 13 is there a age limit or something?

Scud

Smash Apprentice
yea I am just worried it wont work out. Hopefully it will all come through here reallly soon. And about watching.....i want to watch some but i want to play a lot. I hope we can all play for fun too. Not all tourney games right?

age limit? i wouldnt think so im 16
im not very good.......just started doing advanced techniques

South_Paw

Smash Ace
I've never heard of there being an age limit on any game tournament. Some of the ones I've went to have had 10 year olds play... there's one in particular known as "the kid" to us, he's a pretty decent peach player...

And there should be plenty of time for friendlies, after the tourney if not before, I'm sure.

Shade_

Smash Ace
Yah there shouldn't be an age limit, but I think it is all about having fun than just wining or losing, so you should just go instead of just watch, I mean youll already be there right.

I think friendly's is a great Idea, If possible me and my brother, would like to do a few team battles, against another team, if its alright.

Vegafuse

Smash Apprentice
The Dealio

Hey guys, sorry for another long delay. I've been tied up all month but there's no way I'll abandon something like this. I'll try to update you guys as much as possible now that I'm back. For now, I'll just post tourny rules and answer some of the questions being thrown around here lately...

**Tournament Rules**

-Double Elimination; If you are eliminated from the winner's bracket, then you will move on to a loser's bracket. Winner of the loser's bracket will face the winner of the winner's bracket.

-Matches are best out of 3; Finals are best of 5

-All matches will be set to 4 stock and 8 minute time limit.

-And of course, Items OFF

-Double Blind character picks may be called before the match

**Stage Rules**

-Neutral Stages: Final Destination, Battlefield, Fountain of Dreams, Yoshi's Story, Kirby Dreamland 64, and Pokemon Stadium.

-Banned Stages: Flatzone, Fourside, Termina, Hyrule Temple, Yoshi's Island 64, Yoshi's Island, Icicle Mountain, Brinstar Depths, and Big Blue.

-Neutral Stages are set to Random, while all others are for counterpicks

-Advance Slob Picks: Loser may choose next stage or go for random select. Winner may then change characters, then loser may change characters

-Dave's Stupid Rule: No stage may be used twice in a single match, either by Random Select or counterpicking.

**Other Rules**

-No controller mod's or the use of turbo/programmed buttons. They are banned and if you are caught violating this rule then you are disqualified from the tournament.

-No use of glitches,tricks, or tactics that freeze your opponent's character, the game, or stalls the match such as: Ice Climbers' Freeze Glitch, Mewtwo's soulstunner, or excessive use of Peach's Wallbomb and Jigglypuff's Rising Pound. Wallbombing and Rising Pounding may be used as methods of recovery, but not to stall the match. Violation will result in forfeit.

-Remember, BRING YOUR OWN CONTROLLER.

If you have any questions on the rules, feel free to contact me.

Shade, I am definitely leaning towards 2vs2 myself. If we can get a good amount of feedback for that, then I can include it. I'm sure we will have enough time for friendlies, but the reservation of the room may force me to have an entry fee (for the room) or for everyone to pitch in. If things go well, then it won't be necessary. No age limit.

I am aware of the time restrictions everyone has during the holidays, so I'll try to post up official date/place ASAP.

South_Paw, Please PM the locations to me, I won't be able to log into AIM right now but I'll get back to you in a few hours. I appreciate your help greatly.

Merry Christmas

Shade_

Smash Ace
Cool, the only questions I have is can you change your character every time you fight someone new, or is it pick one and stick to them forever.

And If we have team matches, they will have friendly fire on right, if not, these will be some nasty fights. If you dicide to do some, then you can count on fighting me and my brother and me and my friend.

Iny way I am looking forward to this tourny and hope that alot of other people will be there.

Scud

Smash Apprentice
can we have constant friendlies..............so even the people who lose twice in a row can keep playing? I think we should.

Vegafuse

Smash Apprentice
Shade_ said:
Cool, the only questions I have is can you change your character every time you fight someone new, or is it pick one and stick to them forever.

And If we have team matches, they will have friendly fire on right, if not, these will be some nasty fights. If you dicide to do some, then you can count on fighting me and my brother and me and my friend.

Iny way I am looking forward to this tourny and hope that alot of other people will be there.

You can change your character every round and match, according to "Dave's Stupid Rule". If you guys prefer, I can change it to winner of round keeps character but picks stage and loser change characters.

If teams aren't going to recieve a good amount of people, then we can $mm or casual play it. Friendly Fire ON. I'm not so good in teams but I'm definitely game.

Oh, and I have a favor to ask you. Since you have equipment to record matches, is it okay if I have you record Finals with it? I would appreciate it if you can. Hopefully the news about the tourny will get around soon, and I know that south paw is not going to be here for too long so I'll try to update with official info as soon as I get it.

Vegafuse

Smash Apprentice
Scud said:
can we have constant friendlies..............so even the people who lose twice in a row can keep playing? I think we should.
Depends if we have enough TV's and cube's to go around. If not, then you'll have to settle for the time before and after the tourney. Which reminds me, we will most likely need volunteers........

I'll try and see how much I can bring myself, then I'll make a list of who can bring equipment and such later.

Shade_

Smash Ace
I was about to say, Its no problem for me to record anything as long as the Match I am recording has a VCR with the TV its using or one installed in, I can change Vedio tapes to dvd's and then to CD format and then we upload them to our site "the one I sent you a while ago" and people can see them at a will.

I will probably bring my TV and VCR and we can record the Finals on that if no one else brings one, I could record the entire tourniment but I cant record like ten battles at the same time, unless all the TV's have VCR and we have ten tapes, but the Finals I will deffinitly want to put online so that shouldn't be a problem.

Now that you know how recording matches works, If you want everything recorded keep in mind we can only have as many matches in play as we have tv's with VCR's at the same time.

So I need to know who would like to have their matches recorded, and who dosn't. Just to get an idea of how many tapes and stuff I need to bring and things like that. Don't worry if you think It will make things hard for me if theres to many of you, I have alot of time at home ussually.

When I record the matches on tape, I later record them to my DVD recorder, then edit out all the in between battle stuff, make the DVD's give them to my friend and then me and my friends hang out over night at his house find a some cool music for each fight that matches the battle and the time lense, finish up editing and stuff then put them online. If you want to see examples of our battles look at www.omegazorgon.com/smashbros

I can bring a TV' what ever I mentioned, a Cube, 2 controllers, a memory card, and I am pretty sure my other 2 freinds can bring that as well, "I think"

Team battles friendly fire iny stage for fun or money, "count me in"

Top Bottom