• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Oklahoma Thread: Weekly events for all games in OKC and Tulsa

Cactuarz

Smash Ace
It'll take more than that to scare me off ^^ We can host some good smashfests at our new place, plenty of space ^^. I can always help with TO'ing, I hosted a few small ones before.

3DS FC
5301-0744-1149
hmmm not one mention about the irish dude.... i see how it is. i isolate my self from the world for meditation and this is the thanks i get? replaced by a cactus and not once mentioned about the time that i almost beat somebody mildly important enough for me to forget their name....i think this weekend i come out of retirement. is the new apt in norman free this weekend?

Zinth

Smash Apprentice
hmmm not one mention about the irish dude.... i see how it is. i isolate my self from the world for meditation and this is the thanks i get? replaced by a cactus and not once mentioned about the time that i almost beat somebody mildly important enough for me to forget their name....i think this weekend i come out of retirement. is the new apt in norman free this weekend?
It sure is. It's actually a house, not an apartment, so that's even better. We also have a couch now, and, since Andy, Karl, and Cactuarz (whose name is Eriq) are moved in, we should also be able to get a recording set-up going. We've also got a Project:M setup.

What I'd most prefer to do for a venue is use one of the classrooms in the physics building that Forest got us a few times, but I'm not sure how he got the rooms (did he have to make a reservation, or did we all just kind of barge in there and use the rooms?). However, what we could also do is get the anime club to officially host a tournament so that we can get the Sooner Room for free, and then in that case we might also have some other, smaller tournaments for games like Arcana Heart going on, also, which should be fine. I could also talk to Kuni about it, since he secured a room for that one tournament he hosted.

Chris, what's your schedule of availability to hang out like?

Sars_Pirate

Smash Lord
Well not to rekindle flames, but it is good to have Alex cause he speaks his mind freely.

TBH, I was kinda disappointed too that the scene died down so quickly as well. I left after the last On Snap thinking that since JAMS/Tommy was so willing to help us out with this last tourney, that organizing a second one would be simple.

Also, to go off of what Tom said and what Alex means, if we're using Hanson/Grant/Forest smashfests as a benchmark of success, then what's important isn't the numbers purely but the frequency. Hanson/Grant smashfests literally happened every week with huge numbers in Norman. And I have the grades to prove that. If people are really concerned about the dwindling amount of players, what they should be doing is reinvigorate the scene by committing to play as often and in such numbers. Having 10+ people playing once a semester really isn't enough to call anything a success. Melee had those numbers, and the scene obviously isn't close to prospering.

Also the two scenes could also at the very least play in the same area. It'll take some amount of cooperation for both scenes to grow, and ti's hardest to keep a niche genre alive via segregating itself.

Zinth

Smash Apprentice
Also the two scenes could also at the very least play in the same area. It'll take some amount of cooperation for both scenes to grow, and ti's hardest to keep a niche genre alive via segregating itself.
You know, I think this is actually a key thing. Personally, I think it would be a good thing if our new place became a place for Brawl players to meet up and Smash, too. We have a lot of space and more setups than we know what to do with, and I would actually be interested in playing Brawl with competent players. Moreoever, a lot of Brawl players play LoL, and Cactuarz plays LoL, so it could also become a good LoL hotspot. Furthermore, everyone should enjoy playing Project: M, and I think that'd be a cool cross-scene game for everyone to play. It'd become the new hotspot host house.

Hazygoose

Smash Lord
Hanson/Grant smashfests literally happened every week with huge numbers in Norman. And I have the grades to prove that.
10/10 would read again

chris: what bryan said. just text or pm a good day/time, maybe saturday or sunday? and we can have you+me+brybry super awesome fun times

also, i'mma be in norman tomorrow for ~5 hours, hit me up if you want gangsta lessons/a toke buddy/legal representation/a 5 dollar handy/doomsday device

Typ_Ex

Smash Lord
It sure is. It's actually a house, not an apartment, so that's even better. We also have a couch now, and, since Andy, Karl, and Cactuarz (whose name is Eriq) are moved in, we should also be able to get a recording set-up going. We've also got a Project:M setup.

What I'd most prefer to do for a venue is use one of the classrooms in the physics building that Forest got us a few times, but I'm not sure how he got the rooms (did he have to make a reservation, or did we all just kind of barge in there and use the rooms?). However, what we could also do is get the anime club to officially host a tournament so that we can get the Sooner Room for free, and then in that case we might also have some other, smaller tournaments for games like Arcana Heart going on, also, which should be fine. I could also talk to Kuni about it, since he secured a room for that one tournament he hosted.

Chris, what's your schedule of availability to hang out like?
kevin is no longer JSA pres if i remember correctly.

Hazygoose

Smash Lord
you do not have to be in/use a club to reserve the sooner room or many other union rooms. on the union's official webite they have union room pricing, which includes special pricing and highlighting which are free for either/both clubs/students. i've actually posted the info here twice in 2012, not doing it again.

Sars_Pirate

Smash Lord
Man, ever since that Rindoukan bible came out, I really wanna learn Makoto again. I know at least Po approves

Zinth

Smash Apprentice
I'm learning to memorize textbooks, starting with "Modern Physics" by Bernstein, Fishbane, and Gasiorowicz. Two paragraphs down so far!

3DS FC
5301-0744-1149
im down for melee sunday. preferably during the day tho. pay money you down for sunday in norman with alex and the crew? ALex bring outlaw!

pay.$.

Smash Cadet
I would but I have no car nor the money for gas
If some generous kind soul would pick me up then yea id be down to smash

:phone:

Zinth

Smash Apprentice
We are Mr. Game & House.

Did you know it was called a Game & Watch because it was a game and a watch (it displayed the time)?

pay.$.

Smash Cadet
If ever one or two people want to come over to my place and smash it up , just tell me in advance

Sars_Pirate

Smash Lord
Yo, Chris, did you ever pick up that new stick that you got?

Also, I'm wondering if I should get an 8-way stick when I get back also.

3DS FC
5301-0744-1149
Yea that's a no

nah, thats an Oklahoma Yes.

i work 5 days a week 10 hr days. get up at 5am, get off work at 5 pm. i really only have maybe 1 day a week to hang out since i have a family i wanna spend time with. hopefully sat or sunday during the day sometime we can all smash in norman.... btw i have a phone again so anyone can message me at 4055435733. or just look me up on

facebook - www.facebook.com/eggplantmafia
twitter - @eggplant_mafia

#shameless promoting

KOS-MOS

Smash Journeyman
Yo, Chris, did you ever pick up that new stick that you got?

Also, I'm wondering if I should get an 8-way stick when I get back also.
I was torn between a custom made Karin arcade stick or a KOS-MOS arcade stick. People have been telling me to go with the KOS-MOS arcade stick...since, you know >.>

Also, I'm not sure when I'll be free Bryan and Alex. I gotta work this weekend and I'll be pretty busy with the GF and stuff this week. Weekends work for the most part though. I'll keep ya updated.

One more thing. Anyone interested in picking up Persona 4 Arena for the PS3/Xbox360? Seems like its going to be really popular here and might even make it to EVO next year.

Sars_Pirate

Smash Lord
I kinda am, but I'm confused about that game. When I tried it out, I don't know if the arcade cabinet had like an easy mode, but I was just hitting medium with a character and comboed 10 moves into super <_<

And I did this until I beat the game.

The thing is though that I"m worried about a lot of anime fighters since there's hype for them for like a week, and then they die out. But P4 is really, really pretty, and it's not slow(?) like BB felt.

KOS-MOS

Smash Journeyman
I think P4A will do well. Its going to be at a lot of majors this year and Spooky is going to be streaming it on The Big Two when the game comes out. A lot of players have been comparing the game to GG and a lot of GG players are coming back for it so thats a step in the right direction.

As far as an easy mode, could be. You should watch some videos on it (I usually watch P4A videos on GameAcho's channel). I haven't played it yet really. I got maybe like 5 minutes in at EVO and went undefeated on DIVE KICK for awhile lol.

Sars_Pirate

Smash Lord
I guess, but it's also just that there's already a ton of games out so it's hard to pick and choose.

Also how is KoF doing? It was hype as ****, but I don't know if people are actually getting the game now

Top Bottom