• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official SWF Matchup Chart v2.0

Status
Not open for further replies.

Judo777

Smash Master
I agree with IC, pika and snake, but other then that, MK is defintely -1, -1 olimar, falco should be even, wario should be + 1 sheik and diddy is only a -1
Olimar is not even. Like no one knows that MU as well as me. Falco might be even if you could reliably kill him off the ftilt. But alot of Sheik players think its actually completely impossible. I dont think it is but it is incredibly hard. Outside of the ftilt falco is better in practically every way.

Diddy I said -1/-1.5

MK is not -1 yea right. It's -1 til MK learns the MU then he learns that everytime he puts you in the air you have to pray he messes up, and despite your 30-65% combos and strings and kills off of grabs at 90% he STILL doesnt have as bad a risk reward ratio as you. Btw unless you play on FD good MK's shouldnt be gegtting grabbed in spots where GR DACUS works.

@Orion sry but some MU's arent whole numbers IMO (or rather when you compare them to other whole number MU's they arent as bad). Peach (-1.5/-2) is worse than Snake (-.5/-1) and diddy (-1) but not as bad as MK (-2)

Also Sheik IS a character with a really large character flaw. Its her risk to reward ratio. She loses trades with everyone in the game (bar jiggs) and when you take risks with Sheik they are much larger than risks with other characters. As a result she also cant afford to make as many mistakes as other characters. And because she is so weak its hard for her to be threatening sometimes (a great trait IMO, like Ike always has the possibility of being terrifying in the wrong positions, Sheik cant create this fear near as well, DACUS is about her only option for keeping your opponent scared)

Laem

Smash Champion
MK is not -1 yea right. It's -1 til MK learns the MU then he learns that everytime he puts you in the air you have to pray he messes up, and despite your 30-65% combos and strings and kills off of grabs at 90% he STILL doesnt have as bad a risk reward ratio as you. Btw unless you play on FD good MK's shouldnt be gegtting grabbed in spots where GR DACUS works.
Meh, sounds biased to me.

@Orion sry but some MU's arent whole numbers IMO (or rather when you compare them to other whole number MU's they arent as bad). Peach (-1.5/-2) is worse than Snake (-.5/-1) and diddy (-1) but not as bad as MK (-2)
The thing is, this entire train of thought shouldn't be applied to judging MU's. The +- system doesn't lend itself to (relatively) comparing MU's, because there aren't enough numbers. You wanna compare, just use 55:45 and the like. But as you probably know, that'll be frowned upon as well, seeing as we abandoned the :: ratios's because the difference between 55:45 and 60:40 appeared negligible to most people (or simply impossible to determine), thus making distinguishing between them redundant.
Ie.: don't compare, just give the MU a number.

Mr-R

Smash Champion
My bad I said -1 olimar instead of '' -1 olimar '' yeah it's defintely not even.

good mk players don't get grabbed? I grab > dacused anti and m2k 99% of the time lmao, sheiks jab jab grab and pivot grab are good enough to get it

Grim Tuesday

Smash Legend
Why do people always talk about trades as if they are common enough to matter?

Unless you're talking about the results of individual confrontations, but that is just really confusing for anyone who plays Melee lol

:phone:

Judo777

Smash Master
My bad I said -1 olimar instead of '' -1 olimar '' yeah it's defintely not even.

good mk players don't get grabbed? I grab > dacused anti and m2k 99% of the time lmao, sheiks jab jab grab and pivot grab are good enough to get it
No no no. Not grabbed. Avoiding getting grabbed by Sheik is really hard. I meant grabbed in spots where it actually works. On BF it works if you get grabbed under the platforms (people who are used to playing Sheik won't let you grab them there, they will do unsafe SL's if all else fails and let you uair them for 12%, which is fine because he wont die til 140 from aerials), SV depends on the upper platform but if they are really worried they can keep track and just SL away in a pinch but the plat ruins your attempt if the MK thoroughly understands sheik. Yoshis almost nowhere, Lylat in like 2 places and the tilt of the stage can force ground releases.

Like dont get me wrong GR DACUS is really nice and youd be dumb not to learn it, but once they get used to playing you you cant rely on it for kills.

Meh, sounds biased to me.

The thing is, this entire train of thought shouldn't be applied to judging MU's. The +- system doesn't lend itself to (relatively) comparing MU's, because there aren't enough numbers. You wanna compare, just use 55:45 and the like. But as you probably know, that'll be frowned upon as well, seeing as we abandoned the :: ratios's because the difference between 55:45 and 60:40 appeared negligible to most people (or simply impossible to determine), thus making distinguishing between them redundant.
Ie.: don't compare, just give the MU a number.
Understand, the numbers dont matter, you use numbers to convey a general understanding. Idc what we use i just want you to get what im saying. If peach is 1.5 what i mean is its borderline between solid advantage and slight advantage for her.

Unless you're talking about the results of individual confrontations, but that is just really confusing for anyone who plays Melee lol

I don't actually mean trades. I realize trades very rarely happen. I use trades as a figurative illustration to convey something similar. In a trade both players get hit, so the hit count is even. If sheik hits you as often as you hit her she will lose, this seems obvious for weak characters. But its more than that, shes a low priority character. So in situations where you are trying to juggle ur opponent or press for an advantage, and your in neutral reset (even ground/momentum) if we both choose to swing and we swing at the same time i will probably lose, at best ill trade BUT SHE STILL LOSES. So think of it this way, your trying a juggle on Snake, you read him right 3 times in a row to continue your juggle (not really even reads you can react to alot of it) 4th time you slip up and take a hit. Whos better off damage wise? Snake is. Snake wins trades if he gets in a hit once for every 4 or 5 of yours hes still winning. Sheik suffer from this against everyone. Not only does she lack in areas making it hard to keep up with your opponent, she has to do it more and for longer.

Orion*

Smash Researcher
it doesnt matter if 2 characters have the same number but they arent EXACTLY the same.

i.e.

MK has a +1 on both ICs and Snake
However it's pretty clear that ICs does better at a top level
I'm not going to get my panties tight and make it a -0.5

Also Sheik IS a character with a really large character flaw.
We weren't even talking about sheik, I don't know why you put this big *** IS like you're telling me some **** I don't know.

Its her risk to reward ratio. She loses trades with everyone in the game (bar jiggs) and when you take risks with Sheik they are much larger than risks with other characters. As a result she also cant afford to make as many mistakes as other characters. And because she is so weak its hard for her to be threatening sometimes (a great trait IMO, like Ike always has the possibility of being terrifying in the wrong positions, Sheik cant create this fear near as well, DACUS is about her only option for keeping your opponent scared)
I think sheiks risk reward ratio is her main problem as a character. But I also think that this will change as people get better followups with her. Her weight will always be issue, but she can still wrack up huge strings quite consistently with solid option selects and mobility (which her frame data allows her do).

100% maxing your followups in a game like brawl is extremely difficult, and it's something literally every character is still having trouble advancing bar a few really good top of the top players.

However at least sheik has the potential to do that. Having poor risk reward is a character flaw but that doesn't stop her being able to compete unlike the other characters you listed. luigis horrible mobility along with sliding, lucas's grab release issues or the fact that squirtle just turns into garbage are much more problems to deal with at a character base model.

oh god

Seagull Joe

Smash Legend
NNID
SeagullJoe
Stop using decimals in ratios when using the current system. +1 is slight advantage. +2 is advantage. +3 is heavy advantage. +4 is unlosable. You can't just arbitrarily use 1.5 because that makes no sense. You either have a slight advantage or a regular advantage. You can't have slight maybe normal advantage. Just sounds stupid how your making ratios Judo. No offense.

Topic of :sheik:: she is underrated, but I think she requires a great skill usage to perform at high level. I also think the fact that Japan generally using only sv, bf, and fd for the most part boost her capabilities. I think cp's are bad for her, which reflects her position in the American tier list.

:018:

Kuro~

Nitoryu Kuro
I think it's cuz people still equate the +#s to the old ratios. Consciously or sub-consciously. Which tends to cause issues when discussing matchups.

Grim Tuesday

Smash Legend
I think it's cuz people still equate the +#s to the old ratios. Consciously or sub-consciously. Which tends to cause issues when discussing matchups.
I think it's so they can differentiate between two "-3" match-ups (Large Advantage) that are still noticeably different.

Nothing wrong with it if the information is actually useful in the context.

Kuro~

Nitoryu Kuro
There's no use for that though. There's no need to obsess over the numbers instead of the actual matchup info.

A large advantage is a large advantage no matter who u are. It's gonna be very difficult and stressful in tourney and u will have to work hard at the matchup. That's why i endorse ppl not paying so much attention to exactly how bad/good something is. All u need to know is

Even, slight,adv, strong, pick another character.

and decide whether it's worth it from experience or even simply from knowing the opposing character has a strong advantage.

Nidtendofreak

Smash Hero
NNID
TheNiddo
3DS FC
3668-7651-8940
There is use for that however when deciding who has the better match ups. The current system scrunches things down too much. There are cases where two -2s for example are quite different in terms of difficulty, yet neither edge into another category based on how other MUs are weighted for -3 and -1. Its a big enough different that it should be noted, particularly for people who want to know if they should pick up that character as a secondary or not, yet the system doesn't allow for it.

Too narrow, needs to be increased back to the previous scale size. Simply saying "even, slight, adv, strong, lolno" doesn't cover it all of the time.

Orion*

Smash Researcher
Topic of :sheik:: she is underrated, but I think she requires a great skill usage to perform at high level. I also think the fact that Japan generally using only sv, bf, and fd for the most part boost her capabilities. I think cp's are bad for her, which reflects her position in the American tier list.

:018:

i agree with this
mind you I don't think she's incapable of performing on CPs, but I do think a lot of them do hamper her.

Either way US is becoming more conservative in stage choices anyway
There is use for that however when deciding who has the better match ups. The current system scrunches things down too much. There are cases where two -2s for example are quite different in terms of difficulty, yet neither edge into another category based on how other MUs are weighted for -3 and -1. Its a big enough different that it should be noted, particularly for people who want to know if they should pick up that character as a secondary or not, yet the system doesn't allow for it.

Too narrow, needs to be increased back to the previous scale size. Simply saying "even, slight, adv, strong, lolno" doesn't cover it all of the time.
1. I'm glad you have an opinion
2. This really shouldn't hamper anyone picking up a character regardless. If you have a -2, regardless of difficulty it's not gonna be easy or you in tournament vs better players and it will be a MU you have to learn really well. It's doable, but you can consider a second for it if it's just to much still.
If it's a +3 it's pretty unviable, and you should probably not count on winning it consistently.

Knowing these 2 things you shouldnt have any problems based on picking up a character.
If there literally is any more information you would need to know, like regardless of difficulty, how the MU is played and would it be something I could do you should have to either, A. look up information/videos on the subject or B. ask.

The mu chart would not be more effective by making it more complicated.

Judo777

Smash Master
it doesnt matter if 2 characters have the same number but they arent EXACTLY the same.

i.e.

MK has a +1 on both ICs and Snake
However it's pretty clear that ICs does better at a top level
I'm not going to get my panties tight and make it a -0.5

We weren't even talking about sheik, I don't know why you put this big *** IS like you're telling me some **** I don't know.

I think sheiks risk reward ratio is her main problem as a character. But I also think that this will change as people get better followups with her. Her weight will always be issue, but she can still wrack up huge strings quite consistently with solid option selects and mobility (which her frame data allows her do).

100% maxing your followups in a game like brawl is extremely difficult, and it's something literally every character is still having trouble advancing bar a few really good top of the top players.

However at least sheik has the potential to do that. Having poor risk reward is a character flaw but that doesn't stop her being able to compete unlike the other characters you listed. luigis horrible mobility along with sliding, lucas's grab release issues or the fact that squirtle just turns into garbage are much more problems to deal with at a character base model.

oh god
I put the big IS because you said "all the other characters you listed have huge character flaws" and i was stating that so does sheik. I wasn't like yelling its just a way of typing like how you would put emphasis on a word.

And I wouldn't put the decimals if everyone DID understand that all MU's arent the same. But i have had like 10 times people say to Snake -1 Diddy -1 Olimar -1 "dude there is NO WAY Snake is the same difficulty as olimar" because people say that crap all the time. The numbers is just a way to help clarify that. If you guys want me to stop I will but like MU's arent set in stone and i feel like as long as they convey an understanding it doesnt really matter.

Sheik does have alot of follow up potential and I feel I am very good at capitalizing on most of her oppertunities (obviously I can always improve) but understand Sheik only has great strings and follow ups below 100% once they break that cap the only real strings you get are off throws. Which stinks because thats realistically only 2/3 of their stock. And once she loses her followup options its basically one hit then reset and try again. She can have better follow up options given proper decay but sheiks decay dependency is also in some ways a weakness.

Here is an example. Say you are playing an MK and you get off the standard 30-70% ftilt lock stuff. Cool your ftilt is probably staled 5-6 times which is good if your going for the kill at 86%.If your opponent happens to try avoiding the ftilt and ends up passing up the 90% cap well now ftilt usmash now no longer works. Whats worse is your aerials are all at max strength but their percent is too low to kill them. So you need to now rack damage but all ur aerials hit so far you have no shot at following up. Well the good news is ur ftilt is still decayed so everytime you hit with that it will combo.....into aerials which hit too far to followup again. But thats fine every ftilt is now like 14% not bad. However now that you are using that to rack damage you are staling your aerials. Which at this point in the game is your primary killing tool. So you need to pick which one you wanna save (typically bair or nair) both of which have different uses. Nair is good OoS and Bair is her good reach higher priority move you have to save one. But that means you cant really use it for that function. If your gonna save nair you OoS options are more limited, if you save bair your spacing game will pay. Becomes tricky and hard to deal with.

So then say screw it dont let them pass up the 90% cap (called the Lucario strategy lol jk but I do sometimes use this vs Lucario) wait til you kill em with ftilt to Usmash. Now they are at 86% and you are walking around the stage fishing for ftilts like an idiot. This actually works sometimes cause ftilt is an amazing move. But against good characters this wont fly.

So then nevermind just let your aerials be more stale by the time they get to 100% so have more legit strings once they break the cap. This is a pretty sound idea. The only real issue is that for this to be the case you have to have used your aerials several times before 100%. This means more than likely you didnt get off ur ftilt string (one of sheiks strongest aspects) and that you 0-100 game was much less smooth and had many more oppertunities to take extra damage here and there building it (Because now a solid 40-65% more wasn't a combo like it normally is and her strings become strings and less guaranteed because most of her strings are off ftilts and fairs and combinations of the 2.)

But by far the biggest problem with decay management in general is you are trying to orchestrate a match. You are trying to get hits with certain moves at certain times which is partly up to what ur opponent does. Like if your opponent doesn't do stuff you would expect it throws off you plan for how to setup ur decay. Like what if they do stupid stuff like charge MK fsmashes from full screen which is easily punished with a needle. Well cool you punished them once......and added 1 needle to the decay list.

Managing decay is only so practical which is something sheik relies on and is for sure a big weakness.

Orion*

Smash Researcher
why can't you just use needles to fix decay. even if you dont want to use them as just a camping tool, but simply to cover a landing, as fully charged ones stay out quite a while.

I'm not saying it's an end all to a problem, as sheik will definitely still have problems killing. but decay shouldnt like be the end of the world

Laem

Smash Champion
Personally I rarely consider move decay at all when playing...if there's a punish I'd try and take it with any move that works, and only when multiple moves'd work I'd choose to either save the kill move or use a fresh move.

Tesh

Smash Hero
Sheik isn't that bad at killing if you just accept that 120 isn't kill percents. Its like 180. Just accept it and don't rush stuff. She definitely has a strong edgeguard and punishing game and she can kill with her OoS options.

Grim Tuesday

Smash Legend
I've started trying to manage decay with Puff for a different reason.

Bair becomes a much better move when it is strong enough to be safe on shield, 'd really like to start accommodating that.

Stale moves strategies ftw

Judo777

Smash Master
Sheik isn't that bad at killing if you just accept that 120 isn't kill percents. Its like 180. Just accept it and don't rush stuff. She definitely has a strong edgeguard and punishing game and she can kill with her OoS options.
I excepted long ago that 150 was more reasonable kill percents. Its a great concept. The issue is when 150-180 is ur kill percents you can no longer say she is good at damage racking as she is only good at damage racking til about 95%. After that she only gets maybe 8-9% a punish and if she needs to get to 150-180 thats 6-9 hits which outside of punishing landings sheik actually doesn't have the easiest time getting hits since shes very low priority.

@Orion needles dont fix decay, half the time it ruins it lol. You want your moves decayed in order for them to string together (mostly ftilt and fair) and needles add a move to the list that you cant get off until you land 9 more moves. Needles DO help with freshening up your other moves but not by much. Floor trapping with one needles not hardly worth it when you can DA and your opponent wont give you time to charge more most of the time. Like i only get full needle storm maybe 2 or 3 times a stock and often times you must pass up edge guards to charge them.

I want to use single needles more but they are sooooo unsafe even on hit actually.

Cheeri-Oats

Smash Lord
@Mekos

RE: Lucas v. Wolf; Your Discussion with Ishieymoro;

No one is disrespecting you by stating that from their personal experiences they feel a match-up goes a certain way.

You are a great player, but it's not fair for you to come in and tell people not to judge things by their experiences. You're essentially begging people to judge match-ups on your experiences instead and telling them that their opinion is insignificant until they take the time to play you, which is ignorant.

Choosing to ignore what is discovered or discussed at "lower-levels" of play without taking the time to properly evaluate the discourse is continuing a cycle of disrespect that you place yourself as the sole victim of. You haven't asked for details and you have not provided your own reasoning for why you disagree with the other player's assessment. You chose to write a defensive paragraph for people supposedly not giving you enough credit and to play you before they even think about writing on the Lucas match-up.

If you want to be at the forefront of your character and be seen as a figurehead, be a leader for your character and encourage healthy discussion in a respectful manner. Help others and offer advice when asked.

--

And about Wolf? I also feel it's Wolf's advantage, though Lucas can jab and interrupt most approaches with relative ease. Something I feel should be explored more in the match-up is the reflector. But, what do I know? I'm only a SoCal Lucas main that has been playing since 2008.

-Signed,
Oats

#HBC | Joker

Space Marine
NNID
HBCJoker
3DS FC
1864-9780-3232
@Mekos

RE: Lucas v. Wolf; Your Discussion with Ishieymoro;

No one is disrespecting you by stating that from their personal experiences they feel a match-up goes a certain way.

You are a great player, but it's not fair for you to come in and tell people not to judge things by their experiences. You're essentially begging people to judge match-ups on your experiences instead and telling them that their opinion is insignificant until they take the time to play you, which is ignorant.

Choosing to ignore what is discovered or discussed at "lower-levels" of play without taking the time to properly evaluate the discourse is continuing a cycle of disrespect that you place yourself as the sole victim of. You haven't asked for details and you have not provided your own reasoning for why you disagree with the other player's assessment. You chose to write a defensive paragraph for people supposedly not giving you enough credit and to play you before they even think about writing on the Lucas match-up.

If you want to be at the forefront of your character and be seen as a figurehead, be a leader for your character and encourage healthy discussion in a respectful manner. Help others and offer advice when asked.

--

And about Wolf? I also feel it's Wolf's advantage, though Lucas can jab and interrupt most approaches with relative ease. Something I feel should be explored more in the match-up is the reflector. But, what do I know? I'm only a SoCal Lucas main that has been playing since 2008.

-Signed,
Oats

Ishiey

Mother Wolf
BRoomer
<3 Oats, forever and for always. Also <3 namesearch being fixed lol

SoCal should use SWF more. I tried posting on AiB yesterday and they don't have quoting, editing, or livefeed enabled. Why.

:059:

GOofyGV

Smash Lord
Judo stailing your arials shouldn't be that bad I think. You can pummel like 3 or maybe eve n4 times when you oponent is at 150+% if you get a grab and that can refresh your arials.

Imo sheik is better then dk. I mained the character and he is just bad. If he meets a ddd in brackets he is pretty much done and he still has like a hard counter in mk,Olimar and Imo IC's as well. It's not really fun. the only top tiers that he does better against then +2 so +1 or eve nare snake and marth. Wario can wreck dk with his cg Pikachu can also cg dk iirc. DK can't really hit mk without taking a big risk, Olimar camps him to death if he wants and if dk gets close there are still that pivot grab and fsmash. and IC's just wall him with blizzard wall He has some options fr this but they are slow and punshable.

Judo777

Smash Master
Judo stailing your arials shouldn't be that bad I think. You can pummel like 3 or maybe eve n4 times when you oponent is at 150+% if you get a grab and that can refresh your arials.

Imo sheik is better then dk. I mained the character and he is just bad. If he meets a ddd in brackets he is pretty much done and he still has like a hard counter in mk,Olimar and Imo IC's as well. It's not really fun. the only top tiers that he does better against then +2 so +1 or eve nare snake and marth. Wario can wreck dk with his cg Pikachu can also cg dk iirc. DK can't really hit mk without taking a big risk, Olimar camps him to death if he wants and if dk gets close there are still that pivot grab and fsmash. and IC's just wall him with blizzard wall He has some options fr this but they are slow and punshable.
Not against the people i play against. MW has some crazy mashers dude. And pummeling 3 or 4 times isnt enough you have to do 9 moves to refresh it. And sheiks moves need to be fresh to kill at 150.

-LzR-

Smash Hero
SHEik /****storm

Ontopic: Sheik is probably the character in Brawl I know the least about. All I know is that she is a super lame edition of Melee Sheik. I have only played 2 legit Sheiks in my career and it didn't go very well.

GOofyGV

Smash Lord
Sheik is underrated imo but it's not like she has to rise 10 spots. I think she can pass dk,Sonic, at least.
not Ike because I think he can also gets a little boost.

Z'zgashi

Smash Legend
NNID
ZzgashiZzShy
3DS FC
1521-3678-2980
The character I know the least is ZSS cuz I cant even see her when Im picking my character so I forget she exists.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom