• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official SWF Matchup Chart v2.0

Status
Not open for further replies.

PMC66

Smash Journeyman
Wario v wolf should be -1 i'm sorry anyone who says other wise is living in 2009.

+1 for wario iirc

PMC66

Smash Journeyman
it's also nearly impractical in the mu and there are no legitimate set ups for it. this MU would be trash for wolf if oh i don't know he didn't have a good keep out game and blaster being a decent tool to harrass wario.

-2 my ***, chain grab even when the wario knows it barely makes a difference if this matchup is so bad how come Reflex and Hunger have lost to Kain in tournament? both knew the mu perfectly as did Kain, yet Kain went roughly even with both said Wario's at points in their careers hunger is less active but Reflex vs kain was recentish.

-1, i'm sorry but chain grab doesn't help that much, and wolf mains for a long time have proven he can hold his own in this MU,

it's also quite weird how the chain grab works but basically if you can mash quickly it shoudln't work lower than about 57% and considering N-air and D-air follow throughs are Wario's main combo starters even then in every scenario they will not give him the grab if the wolf DIs correctly.

That and theres getting the grab heck getting inside wolf, and getting inside wolf is surprisingly hard for Wario to do at times

Oh and change Falco to 0 the stuff wolf does to that Turkey off stage is just as disgusting as what falco can do to wolf on stage lol

i disagree with Diddy and snake as -1s but i'm not going to argue with them, people willl hopefully see the light some day ._.

Ishiey

Mother Wolf
BRoomer
Possibly. I think it's around the same difficulty as MK, if not a little easier for Wolf, but then again that might just be me sucking vs MK and not sucking vs Wario :x the +/-2 as it stands isn't really extreme though, most people think it's somewhere in between. (@ Wario, Snake could be even imo but he still has a slight edge, and Diddy is a **** lol)

And plus, if we went to a better ratio people that don't know anything about Wolf would complain about how he goes almost even with people that "infinite CG" and "gimp" him for no reason :p

:059:

PMC66

Smash Journeyman
^ they should still be correctly educated however. :p

gah everyone is so backward to me sometimes. for gods sake speed it up people wario doesn't -2 wolf just stay in line with wario throw out blaster shots whilst in the air and space with b-air and it is not that hard.

Chuee

Smash Hero
-2 my ***, chain grab even when the wario knows it barely makes a difference if this matchup is so bad how come Reflex and Hunger have lost to Kain in tournament? both knew the mu perfectly as did Kain, yet Kain went roughly even with both said Wario's at points in their careers hunger is less active but Reflex vs kain was recentish.
Reflex didn't use the CG on Kain if a recall correctly, and even if he did he messed up/or didn't use it too the highest percent it works.

PMC66

Smash Journeyman
Reflex didn't use the CG on Kain if a recall correctly, and even if he did he messed up/or didn't use it too the highest percent it works.
he managed to use it twice in a set one where he tried to do it too early failed and staled the grab so it wouldn't work, and one where he did it to the 120s but didn't trust his execution. whilst he didn't infinite wolf he won those matches where he did grab wolf regardless, showing that wario has difficulty getting in on wolf alot of the time if he plays correctly if the majority of the match wario isn't in the situation to utilise his grab. honestly it helps a little, but only a little, even if you can do it, it's not that much harder for wolf to win tbh because wolf will just zone you out anyway. the reason wario wins is because he out lasts wolf and can kill him faster, alot of the time considering how the mu is played and the trajectory of alot of wario's attacks i can't see gimp game as polarising the mu that badly either.

ish you'd hate my region alot of diddy kongs lol.

Ishiey

Mother Wolf
BRoomer
Diddy is so ****ing fast, it's really irritating :( if there wasn't such a huge "cooldown" disparity (for lack of a better word) Wolf would definitely be even. Although tbh it could still be even, one should never doubt JJ Wolf.

+1 for Wario's survivability advantage over Wolf being an underrated pro.

Lukingordex

No Custom Titles Allowed
Switch FC
SW-6444-7862-9014
it's also nearly impractical in the mu and there are no legitimate set ups for it. this MU would be trash for wolf if oh i don't know he didn't have a good keep out game and blaster being a decent tool to harrass wario.

-1, i'm sorry but chain grab doesn't help that much, and wolf mains for a long time have proven he can hold his own in this MU,

it's also quite weird how the chain grab works but basically if you can mash quickly it shoudln't work lower than about 57% and considering N-air and D-air follow throughs are Wario's main combo starters even then in every scenario they will not give him the grab if the wolf DIs correctly.

That and theres getting the grab heck getting inside wolf, and getting inside wolf is surprisingly hard for Wario to do at times

Oh and change Falco to 0 the stuff wolf does to that Turkey off stage is just as disgusting as what falco can do to wolf on stage lol

i disagree with Diddy and snake as -1s but i'm not going to argue with them, people willl hopefully see the light some day ._.

Wolf is too good

TheReflexWonder

Wonderful!
BRoomer
NNID
TheReflexWonder
3DS FC
2492-4449-2771
It's worth noting that I used all the wrong stages against Kain and lost to MCPe soon after for the same reason. I know better now, and I beat MCPe fairly handily now.

Iota

Smash Lord
3DS FC
2852-7054-7732
Not sure if it's worth stating due to Kain possibly playing bad/semi-old set but Krystedez beat Kain with no chain grab a month after Kain beat Hunger. I would think that the set would've been a lot worse for Kain if Krys had used the CG.

Laem

Smash Champion
Pretty sure Wario has dangerous setups into grab such as from nair or jab, or anything that pops wolf up a little.

Ishiey

Mother Wolf
BRoomer
I think bite only leads into grab before CG %s, not sure though. Surprised that stages made such a big difference in the MU Reflex, what choices helped you out vs the Wolves?

:phone:

~ Gheb ~

Life is just a party
Bite, the weak hit of nair, jab, the weak hits of dair and possibly even low % uair might not have a guaranteed grab follow-up but they all put Wolf into RPS positions where Wario can get a grab by correctly predicting the Wolf player's decision making.

_Kain_

Smash Champion
Nair doesn't set up into grab unless you don't DI, neither does jab. Their both only situational. The reason why the CG from wario is not as threatning as the other ones from Pika/DDD is because all of Wario's approaches come from the air, so he's easy to telegraph how he is gonna come in to try to grab, and easy to wall off that way too. Bite only sets up into grab at the very low percents, too low for the CG to start I believe, dunno for sure

Only way I see Wario getting an actual grab off is from shield grabbing cause Wario's grab range is pretty good and anything mispaced on his shield he can probably grab. There's plenty other ways coming from reads but I don't really see Wario forcing Wolf into a grab like the other chars

Not really downplaying the CG but really Wario's only viable way of grabbing Wolf is reads/shieldgrabbing something mispaced which also isn't that hard since he has a good grab range.

Idk that's my two cents on it

TheReflexWonder

Wonderful!
BRoomer
NNID
TheReflexWonder
3DS FC
2492-4449-2771
I think bite only leads into grab before CG %s, not sure though. Surprised that stages made such a big difference in the MU Reflex, what choices helped you out vs the Wolves?

:phone:
Getting rid of platforms, mostly. Initially, I gave them stages with multiple platforms and/or lots of space, like Battlefield and Lylat Cruise.

Lord Chair

Smash Master
Wario actually has very few guaranteed setups into grab against Wolf. Nair has fairly poor frame advantage and the percentage window in which it actually combos into grab is somewhere up fairly high. Bite doesn't combo into grab at chaingrab percents. Jab is rather unlikely to ever land against Wolf unless Wolf messes up.

What Wolf has to commit to in order not to get grabbed is fairly gay though. There's still enough setups (especially fair) that just get the job done.

Platforms are dumb.

SaveMeJebus

Smash Master
Do you guys think that reads and mindgames should be taken into consideration when creating a MU?

MEOW1337KITTEH

Smash Lord
NNID
daniel7001
Depends on the character really. If they have a good punish like Wario, GnW, ICs I think they should. But for like... falco it's not as important.

infiniteV115

Smash Hero
Not necessarily the reads and mindgames in and of themselves, but the risk/reward associated with reads and mindgames executed by different characters.

eg Diddy trying to read a roll against Snake and punishing it with sideB is a lot safer than Jiggs trying to punish it with Rest

However you can't say things like "Diddy goes even with Snake, he just has to read all of Snake's rolls and punish them with sideB" cause whether or not he makes hard reads like that will depend on the players moreso than the characters

So yes reads and mindgames matter but HOW MUCH they matter depends on the characters...and in almost every case, reads and mindgames have very little weight on the MU

Tesh

Smash Hero
Those don't really hit anywhere near as hard as those "dead at 50" moves from the others.

Obviously reads matter more in a situation where your character can perform something game changing with that read.

Look at Sonic, no matter how hard he reads you, he won't get much out of it because he doesn't have any really hard punishers, despite being very capable of punishing almost anything. Then look at wario or Gnw and when they read you, you get hit without something that kills you...at like 50.

-LzR-

Smash Hero
No matter how good player you are you won't be able to make reads that kill at 50% with Sonic, but with G&W it's nothing unreasonable.

SaveMeJebus

Smash Master
No matter how good player you are you won't be able to make reads that kill at 50% with Sonic, but with G&W it's nothing unreasonable.
Yeah, but you can also go an entire set without getting a correct read. Reads are never 100% reliable

Tesh

Smash Hero
That's more player vs. player than character vs character though
Reading is player vs player, but the rewards you get from a read are all about the character.

Yeah, but you can also go an entire set without getting a correct read. Reads are never 100% reliable
What? Without reads (or dumb luck) you won't really be able to win at high level play so what are you even talking about?

SaveMeJebus

Smash Master
Reading is player vs player, but the rewards you get from a read are all about the character.
Yeah, but you wouldn't have gotten that reward without that read from the player.

What? Without reads (or dumb luck) you won't really be able to win at high level play so what are you even talking about?
A ganon player can out-read and beat an MK player but that doesn't make the match up even. Pretty much anything that involves player vs. player should be left out of the MU chart. The exceptions to the rule are moves that are near impossible to do with regular human timing or impossible to do consistently 100% of the time

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom