• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Standard Custom Moveset Project Initial Release

Status
Not open for further replies.

ItsRainingGravy

Smash Ace
Switch FC
SW-5960-2538-9300
I'm posting in a lot of the character boards, spreading the mission back out to the masses. I've so far posted in them alphabetically Bowser through Marth other than Captain Falcon and Dark Pit since I honestly didn't know what to say in those two and wonder if handling Dark Pit on the Pit board might be the way. I also got tagged in the Yoshi forum while I was working on it so I randomly got him too (I'm also in communication with the Rosalina board since, well, I main Rosalina). I'm about to eat dinner and then go play smash so I don't think I have time to talk to the boards Mega Man through Zero Suit Samus tonight, but if any of you guys main those characters it would definitely help out a lot to bring some talk about filling out 10 custom slots to those boards.
Just gonna say:

You rock, dude.

EDIT: Posting this here for other people to see/comment on.

Mario :4mario:

1332 (recommended, though either this or 2332 can be replaced if absolutely necessary)
2222 (recommended)
2312 (recommended)
2332 (recommended, though either this or 1332 can be replaced if absolutely necessary)

http://smashboards.com/threads/official-standard-custom-moveset-project-mario.380346/#post-18620256

Last edited:

Raijinken

Smash Master
Marth really needs to have Crescent Slash on more than just 1121, it's such a viable kill and combo method that it really deserves more than just one set. The recovery isn't as bad as thought initially and having 3121 and 3123 fixes these issues enough to be just an amazing move overall.

In my opinion, 3133 is the most niche out of the current options, because Marth already has a lot of mobility with 3131 and Counter is slightly stronger and Counter works slightly better when going deep edgeguarding as it hits the character even further off the edge if you can get it off. For the second option to replace, while I would prefer 1113 to go since I currently see not much reason to run it, I personally haven't tried it myself and it could very well be a very beneficial option against certain match-ups/stages, so I'll say 1121 should be taken off at the moment because Dashing Assault not only provides more stage control and more mix-up opportunities with the mobility, it also provides even more (horizontal) and makes Marth (with Crescent Slash) much harder to edgeguard than usual. I think this is far more useful than the shieldbreaking power that is Shieldbreaker, when many of times you can just use a shield as an opportunity to F-Throw to Crescent Slash anyways.

Of course, that's not to say 3133 and 1121 aren't viable at all, just simply much more niche and if someone wants to use them, they only need to bring their own 3DS and install it in. :p
I'm warming up to 3121 right now, personally. The extra kill option is very nice to have.

MajorMajora

Smash Ace
In my opinion, the range of the default Air Slash's base hit is a huge benefit, as it gives Shulk a reliable OoS option. I haven't done much testing with AAS, but IMO, the combination of huge recovery with Jump mode and a great bait/punish OoS with smash mode, Nuetral Air Slash seems to be his best option. AAS does deserve at least some exposure, however.
I remember trying out AAS and liking it: The interesting downwards angle can throw people for a loop and does some weird edge cancel stuff. I don't think it's the best but it should be considered.

Plain Yogurt

Smash Ace
I'm posting in a lot of the character boards, spreading the mission back out to the masses. I've so far posted in them alphabetically Bowser through Marth other than Captain Falcon and Dark Pit since I honestly didn't know what to say in those two and wonder if handling Dark Pit on the Pit board might be the way. I also got tagged in the Yoshi forum while I was working on it so I randomly got him too (I'm also in communication with the Rosalina board since, well, I main Rosalina). I'm about to eat dinner and then go play smash so I don't think I have time to talk to the boards Mega Man through Zero Suit Samus tonight, but if any of you guys main those characters it would definitely help out a lot to bring some talk about filling out 10 custom slots to those boards.
The good ol' Shulk boards are hashing out pros and cons to each individual custom over the coming weeks. If I know those guys at all we'll have something by mid-March or whenever you need it done.

Raijinken

Smash Master
Tempest is both a recovery aid and the best edgeguarding Eruption option. Its the only Eruption version that isn' niche. Recovery boosts are always welcomed in any MU. Fire explosions aren't always needed/useful.

Default Side B is technically the best one for recovery. CQC loses its momentum when it ends, basically slowing down Ike until he rebuilds the momentum manually. Default doesn't do that + has the change of being able to act again if he swings during recovery. IIRC default has less recovery time on a whiff than CQC ever does, but only slightly.
Today I learned Tempest stalls recovery. My opinion of it has changed drastically.

Nidtendofreak

Smash Hero
NNID
TheNiddo
3DS FC
3668-7651-8940
Stalls, and gives you a boost if you use it out of your second jump. IIRC, it gives you a boost still the first time you use it even if you don't jump, but its pretty small.

But that boost lets Ike go way deep while charging it, unleash for the massive windbox gimp, and still make it back.

heroponrikidavid

Smash Rookie
Just a reminder that Shockwave is streaming on twitch.tv/tourneylocator again tonight at 8 cst/9 est. I'm assuming they'll be using custom moves again.

Sixfortyfive

Smash Journeyman
Someone might want to get in touch with Wizard and ask him what the March 27 deadline actually entails. Are we just supposed to determine whether customs will be used by then, or do we actually have to have every custom set locked-in by that date?

People should assume the latter unless told otherwise.

Amazing Ampharos

Balanced Brawl Designer
Writing Team
We have to have every set locked in by March 27. I'm tentatively wanting us to be done by March 17 with the extra 10 days being time budgeted for the unexpected.

Treuce

Smash Cadet
NNID
Treuce
3DS FC
2509-1348-8615
These are what I use.

Olimar 2/2/1/3
Ness 1/1/2/1 and 1/1/1/2
Lucario 2/1/1/1
Sheik 2/2/1/1 and 2/1/1/1

Splash Damage

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Grab_N_Go
I remember trying out AAS and liking it: The interesting downwards angle can throw people for a loop and does some weird edge cancel stuff. I don't think it's the best but it should be considered.
Exactly, It certainly does have some interesting niches that give it at least some usability. One or two sets with it is not out of the question.

Pazx

hoo hah
NNID
Pazx13
(every one of Diddy's custom sets will be this way...)
1113 for guaranteed/essential, I expect it to become popular. Since there's no importing at Evo I'll expand my suggestions for sets in order of priority.

:4diddy:

Essential. No Compromises here. This is arguably as good as 1111 and on stages with high ceilings I prefer it.

Less important, but almost certainly the next 4 sets I'd run. xx2x is probably better than xx3x

I don't like jumbo peanuts, but some people do and they seem to have some sort of usage.

For the last three I'm unsure. I don't think the side specials are worth including unless we decide x33x is exceptional for recovery, so I'd suggest something like the following.

And lastly, this is likely the worst set I'll suggest simply because the default Monkey Flip is good, but the kill power on this one is not something to be taken lightly and whilst people are unfamiliar with it it may be a good option.

Also, for Mii Brawler, I feel like some may choose Piston Punch if they get taken to Halberd. Perhaps 2132 as a set?

Caryslan

Smash Apprentice
For one, Close Combat has the ability to clank with projectiles, which allows Ike to use it as an approaching tool with less worry about being punished by a weak projectile. It also deals a fair amount of damage and sends opponents above him, which is better for followup potential.

iirc anyways
If it clanks, does it stop all his momentum? Because my concern would be Ike being stopped by a Projictle game, which still does not solve his problem with approaching projectile characters.

I guess my point is this, granted Close Combat can clank with a Super Missile, but a well-played Undying Blade allows him to plow through the Super Missile and punish Samus.

That's where I see the value in Undying Blade, it allows him to ignore a projectile not only during startup, but plow right through any attempts at a range game. It could be useful against characters like Mega Man, who use quick projectiles that just have enough hitstun to shut down Quick Draw.

I

Nidtendofreak

Smash Hero
NNID
TheNiddo
3DS FC
3668-7651-8940
It stops when it clanks, but he has no recovery time after. He can immediately go into another CQC or any other attack. Generally the speaking the projectiles that are fast enough to hit him between CQC, CQC just flat out beats without clanking so it just destroys them onroute. If they're able to make him clank and stop, they can't be spammed fast enough to wall him out.

Unyielding Blade is just too slow of start up and not enough range to use it much. There is also one very important thing you're overlooking: clanking or beating a projectile with CQC means you don't take the damage. Absorbing the blow with Super Armour means you still take the % damage.

This is all not considering the fact that CQC puts the opponent into prime comboing position, or that Unyielding Blade is much less safe on block.

Piford

Smash Lord
NNID
SuperZelda
So here's two sets I think ought to be added in the next update.

For Shulk, I think 1123 or 1323 should be added. Advancing air slash is a nice offensive option, and can actually be a better recovery options in some cases. For the cases where it's a worse recovery, Shulk has the jump monado so it's not like he really needs a great recovery anyways, and it's still a good recovery move on its own. It adds a neat new option for returning to the ledge. Plus its stronger than regular air slash

For R.O.B., I think 1332 should be an option. Backwards Arm Rotor is stronger than default per hit, and it's quicker. It has much less commitment than regular arm rotor, and is a safer option overall since people likely won't be able to escape before the move is over.

Splash Damage

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Grab_N_Go
Push for it to be added to the list, either here or on the Dr. Mario boards.
I'll give it a shot, though my words may not hold much weight because I'd be pushing for one of the riskiest and currently least common moves he has...I'll go for it though.

Last edited:

DarthLuigi36

Smash Cadet
NNID
CmonBlueFalcon
3DS FC
3823-8676-0627
I'm posting in a lot of the character boards, spreading the mission back out to the masses. I've so far posted in them alphabetically Bowser through Marth other than Captain Falcon and Dark Pit since I honestly didn't know what to say in those two
Sorryy, Smashboards stopped notifying me of updates to this thread for the last two weeks and I simply can't browse the whole thing (mobile Internet only at the moment)... what exactly are you asking for? I assume we are removing the 2222 and 3333 sets for Evo since friendly playtesting is unecessary in that environment. Will we also fill in the 9 and 10 slots?

I can't speak for the entire Captain Falcon board but I do main Falcon and feel I understand what the board generally feels. Basically, what would you ask of me?

Last edited:

ParanoidDrone

Smash Master
Sorryy, Smashboards stopped notifying me of updates to this thread for the last two weeks and I simply can't browse the whole thing (mobile Internet only at the moment)... what exactly are you asking for? I assume we are removing the 2222 and 3333 sets for Evo since friendly playtesting is unecessary in that environment. Will we also fill in the 9 and 10 slots?

I can't speak for the entire Captain Falcon board but I do main Falcon and feel I understand what the board generally feels. Basically, what would you ask of me?
Yes and yes. EVO needs a full list of 10 per character. (Or less, I suppose, but there's no reason to leave slots empty since they're disallowing on-site set creation entirely.)

Last edited:

DunnoBro

The Free-est
NNID
DunnoBro
Here are my new recommended sets for Duck Hunt after actually testing customs offline against top players like Boss, Snow, Blur, and many others at or from Xanadu.

First two in red are what I consider crucial and if nothing else, should be on the final 10-set list.

For more in-depth explanation, please refer to my post in the DHD Customs thread: http://smashboards.com/threads/subm...-top-8-custom-sets-of-duck-hunt.379612/page-2

Wavebird

Smash Rookie
First of all thank you guys not just the person(s)/people who are making this possible but the ones that are helping out coming up with all the customs variants.
One in particular that I use for :4megaman: Mega Man
is 3322

Shadow Blade is great for Okizeme(wake up game[when you knockdown an opponent]) and arial coverage (you also can semi combo into it)
Danger Wrap works great with shadow blade since you have multiple options for aerials you also can follow it up with a short hop up air for air coverage or try some grab setups
Tornado Hold also helps his anti air game and off the ledge game and does damage
Skull barrier is just for the projectile battles and helps bait the opponent into attacking you

The main purpose of this build was to maximize mega man's aerial game something that in week one of smash 3ds I loved doing KOing an opponent with jumping A an overtime I just based my strategy on that

I'll be looking forward to see if I can influence some of megaman builds hopefully this one will make the cut although I'm just happy I get to use Skull Barrier ( see you guys at evo)

Last edited:

Thinkaman

NNID
Thinkaman
3DS FC
1504-5749-3616
I'm skeptical of Shadow Blade having utility anywhere in the ballpark of Metal Blade. Can you elaborate?

Today's bold question: Should Samus actually consider Melee Charge Shot against Rosalina? (Between Luma and Gravitational Pull...)

Edit: On the subject of "bad" Samus moves, what about Screw Rush? OoS moves that hit in front of you are rare, and frame 11 isn't bad for a reliable 15% damage. Normal Screw Attack against grounded opponents struggles to do even half that. Also, it kills!

Last edited:

Pippin (Peregrin Took)

Formerly “ItalianBaptist”
Switch FC
SW-0542-4021-7641
Just curious for Pit and Dark Pit, why do we have no love for striking flight on the list? I wouldn't be bringing this up if there were more of a general consensus but since there doesn't seem to be that much in the way of sources based on the OP I feel like I should add my two cents. I'd like to see at least one set involving one of the other recovery moves, particularly striking flight because it's nice to have an offensive recovery option. If not could someone please explain why the disadvantage is so big, because I'm having a hard time seeing it.

It's not too big of a deal because of those 2 empty slots but still....

Piford

Smash Lord
NNID
SuperZelda
Since no one seems to be participating in custom discussion in the R.O.B. thread and the Shulk thread is focusing on one at a time, I figured I'd give my full thoughts on both here

R.O.B.:4rob:

I'm thinking that 1332 and 1333 should be options because backward arm rotor seems like a safer version of arm rotor that would be better in some situations. Unless there's something I'm missing about backward arm rotor. For the last 2 sets, I'm thinking that some people might prefer infinite robo beam because it doesn't need to recharge so 3132 might be a good set. For the last one, it could be 3133, 1322, or 1232.

So the set list should looks like this

1232/3133/1322

Shulk :4shulk:

For Shulk, Advancing Air Slash is obvious next move that was not included in the original. Advancing air slash is a nice offensive option, and can actually be a better recovery options in some cases. For the cases where it's a worse recovery, Shulk has the jump monado so it's not like he really needs a great recovery anyways, and it's still a good recovery move on its own. It adds a neat new option for returning to the ledge. Plus its stronger than regular air slash. After that, I don't see any other custom move worth it. Mighty Air Slash might be wanted by some possibly, but I'm not really sure the reduced range is worth it. So I think 1323 and 1123 should be added, then either 3323 or 3123, and the last slot goes to either 2323, 2123, or 1133.

So the list should look like this

3323/3123
2323/2123/1133

Thinkaman

NNID
Thinkaman
3DS FC
1504-5749-3616
Please add some Sideways pound to jigglypuff sets. It's good and super useful in some match ups.
I'm gonna be blunt with you: Sideways Pound is awful. It's a frame-18 move with no range. In Smash you have to have either range or speed to land any move, and Sideways Pound has neither.

Normal Pound is a slow move (frame-13) with troubling ending lag, but makes up for it with movement-based range, decent damage (11%), great shield damage (flat 20% extra), and lasting a generous 15 frames.

Sideways Pound, for comparison is not only even slower in both startup AND ending lag, but does only 7% damage, does no extra damage to shields, does less knockback, and only lasts for 7 frames. All you get in exchange is a low angle--which is useless since you should not be expecting to land range-less frame-18 moves on good players in the first place.

Pound Blitz is similarly awful, for the record. It has more mobility, but is much, much slower even than Sideways Pound (frame-25!) It actually only lasts one frame longer than normal Pound, while only doing--at best--9% and a paltry 10% extra shield damage. It even KOs worse!

Pound is a really important tool for Jigglypuff, and both alternatives do not fulfill their purported advantages at all.

Macchiato

Smash Hero
NNID
Macchiatooo
I'm gonna be blunt with you: Sideways Pound is awful. It's a frame-18 move with no range. In Smash you have to have either range or speed to land any move, and Sideways Pound has neither.

Normal Pound is a slow move (frame-13) with troubling ending lag, but makes up for it with movement-based range, decent damage (11%), great shield damage (flat 20% extra), and lasting a generous 15 frames.

Sideways Pound, for comparison is not only even slower in both startup AND ending lag, but does only 7% damage, does no extra damage to shields, does less knockback, and only lasts for 7 frames. All you get in exchange is a low angle--which is useless since you should not be expecting to land range-less frame-18 moves on good players in the first place.

Pound Blitz is similarly awful, for the record. It has more mobility, but is much, much slower even than Sideways Pound (frame-25!) It actually only lasts one frame longer than normal Pound, while only doing--at best--9% and a paltry 10% extra shield damage. It even KOs worse!

Pound is a really important tool for Jigglypuff, and both alternatives do not fulfill their purported advantages at all.
Yeah but in match ups like rosalina, sideways pound gets rid of Luma super easily and also gimps Little Mac super easily too. Can yew just add like 1 set with sideways pound. It still has its niches.

Amazing Ampharos

Balanced Brawl Designer
Writing Team
Yeah but in match ups like rosalina, sideways pound gets rid of Luma super easily and also gimps Little Mac super easily too. Can yew just add like 1 set with sideways pound. It still has its niches.
Jigglypuff has few good customs so it seems likely a Sideways Pound set will make the cut, as dubious as the move is.

I'll be at a tournament today, won't be very available. At this phase of discussion, hopefully that won't matter.

ParanoidDrone

Smash Master

In this case, what are the purported upsides of Sideways Pound and Pound Blitz? Just on paper.

(Also I thought Pound Blitz covered more distance in the air and thus was better for recovery? IDK I don't really use Jigglypuff much.)

Last edited:

Raijinken

Smash Master
I'm skeptical of Shadow Blade having utility anywhere in the ballpark of Metal Blade. Can you elaborate?

Today's bold question: Should Samus actually consider Melee Charge Shot against Rosalina? (Between Luma and Gravitational Pull...)

Edit: On the subject of "bad" Samus moves, what about Screw Rush? OoS moves that hit in front of you are rare, and frame 11 isn't bad for a reliable 15% damage. Normal Screw Attack against grounded opponents struggles to do even half that. Also, it kills!
I feel like a Melee Charge Shot set should be included, but only one (if I had to pick one, 3232 would probably be it), specifically for Rosaluma and reflector matchups where it's exceedingly dangerous to throw out a charge shot (though dense is fairly safe if you're not an idiot, just due to how slow it is). As for Screw Rush, as cool as the move is (for being the only accurate representation of Screw Attack, since you have to do a spinning jump to screw attack in the 2D games), I'm a bit iffy on its applications. It's a bit like Aether Drive in that taking it sacrifices a lot of your vertical recovery, in exchange for horizontal which Samus doesn't need thanks to the glorious range of the grapple beam. I could see it having decent aggressive properties, but as a recovery it seems like such a disadvantage that I'm not sure it's really worth it. Much like the Ol'One-Two for Doc, which has never made sense to me unless we're adopting a "screw his weaknesses just give him another strength" rule for that move.

But I'm willing to give 'em (Screw Rush and Melee Charge Shot) some more trials to see if I can come up with justification.

Back on Shadow Blade, I do like how it covers your approach longer due to the backtrack it has, and its inability to be turned against you save by reflector appeals heavily to me. It's certainly not as versatile and powerful as the Metal Blade, but if only for safety for less-confident players, I'd still have one metal blade set.

Later edit after testing:
Grounding Blow on Mac has my approval, but I definitely prefer the Haymaker over-all.
The Ol' One-Two is aight. Who needs recovery anyway?

Melee Charge Shot has uses against reflectors/Rosalina. It still kills around 100 (against Fox on the 3DS version, which is where I tested it), but it's got the endlag that the regular charge shot does, so it's only really for reads/punishes. Still, at least it can't be absorbed. I'd recommend at least one set with it, and if not other good sets are found, maybe two covering the various other options. 3232 and 3211 maybe.

Screw Rush gets my disapproval, though. Nigh-worthless as a recovery (as predicted, the grapple beam does just as well unless you're too close to the stage, in which case any other screw attack is better), doesn't seem to kill as early as the others since I was using it at ground level. I would still run Apex Screw Attack in 90% of situations.

Last edited:

warriorman222

Smash Ace
3DS FC
3866-8698-4754
I understand your point, and I see it mostly because in that game everybody has those types of combos. Fox has his u-throw u-air, Jiggs has u-throw rest. Characters have chain throws, combos, ect. Tho, in Smash 4 its a lot fewer characters who have these types of combos. If everybody had combos like this it'd be better. Thats why nobody complains in Melee.

I'm still saying you honestly aren't losing anything though by choosing HK over PP, its practically the same move but better and not reliant on a insta kill gimmik. I'm pretty sure that wasn't Roy's main goal to win matches, it is for PP Brawler.
I know. I wasn't advocating PP, I was using it as an example.

And there's more than Diddy with Hoo Hahs. Custom Jigs, Pac, and others gain some guaranteed vertical grab kills. HK may not count but it involves a grab. Sure, not everyone. But most people are still complaining about the weakest, unsafest, least lenient of the 3 i posted.

Oh wait, that's because it doesn't need customs on. But neither does HK. Please stop with the complaining, o those who are.

Last edited:

stancosmos

Smash Journeyman
I really wish the sets could be organized into a votable tier list so we can find out if theres any sets that the majority of people want in or out, rather than having to filter through 500 posts to find common mentions.

NairWizard

Somewhere
The top players of each character should be the primary driving force for the custom selections, because they have the most insight into their characters. Failing that, public opinion is best.

Piford

Smash Lord
NNID
SuperZelda
The top players of each character should be the primary driving force for the custom selections, because they have the most insight into their characters. Failing that, public opinion is best.
I don't think that many top players have provided their input here from what I can see. I assume most of them looked at the project and saw that if offered what they wanted, or they just don't know what they want because they are used to a non-customs meta.

FlareHabanero

Banned via Warnings
The good ol' Shulk boards are hashing out pros and cons to each individual custom over the coming weeks. If I know those guys at all we'll have something by mid-March or whenever you need it done.
For the record, we're dismissing Decisive Monado Arts since it's counter productive to Shulk's general playstyle. Others are more ambiguous like the Back Slash variants, though Shulk's Power Vision, Hyper Monado Arts, and Mighty Air Slash might see usage due to the increased power.

Last edited:

Piford

Smash Lord
NNID
SuperZelda
For the record, we're dismissing Decisive Monado Arts since it's counter productive to Shulk's general playstyle. Others are more ambiguous like the Back Slash variants, though Shulk's Power Vision, Hyper Monado Arts, and Mighty Air Slash might see usage due to the increased power.
Isn't it worth having at least one set with decisive since decisive speed is really good?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom