• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Stage Legality Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

-Ran

Smash Master
I'm assuming you've read his book and his blog. I see no reason to quote him.

Simple analogy time:
Using Sirlin for a basis of what to do for Smash, is akin to asking a Poker Player what to do in Magic the Gathering.

Judo777

Smash Master
Ok guys i hate to be this guy but the arguement "We are not playing super smash brothers brawl cause that game has items and random stages and 2 minute timer" is stupid. Super Smash Brothers Brawl comes with the ability to turn those options off and to change game to ur liking that's why there are options. The game is not designed to be played only on the default setting that the game comes in otherwise the game should only be played on single player cause thats the bubble that is first highlighted on the first option screen.

The game is designed to be shaped to the players liking so saying that playing without items and certain stages is against game design is stupid. Well maybe not stupid its just wrong.

sunshade

Smash Ace
I have read his blog and only a quarter of his book at best. You however are misconstruing his points and unless you can quote for me something he has said in his book or in his blog and then use it in your argument as to why he is wrong I dont care what you have to say on him.

Simple analogy time:
Using Sirlin for a basis of what to do for smash, is akin to going to a orthodontist when you need a dentist (they are different specialties but have many overlaps in knowledge)

NNID
Budget_Player
I have read numerous of BPC's posts, and he's a purist. It really is that simple. Everything to him hinges on that the game state shouldn't be changed from what it was. Sirlin, who for simply writing a book, is considered to be a gaming theory god. His book is written about 2d fighting games, predominately about Street Fighter. I've read it, and that's the realm of knowledge that he pulls from. Smash isn't a fighting game, it's a completely different genre of game.
And yet, for some reason, we are able to make it into a fighting game without actually banning anything. Imagine that. Just not a very good one. So we then go forwards and we ban what we absolutely have to. I'm not that much of a purist. I recognize that it is possible to make the game better by banning things. The game is a better game (presuming the way we play it; stock, timer, 1v1, no items) if you ban certain stages like Temple, due to skill-mitigating factors that make the learning curve necessary to win on those stages next to non-existent, and it is not only better, but it is better by a ridiculous margin. It's like banning Akuma in SF2T-the game is not playable the way we play it with this element legal, but without this and a few other elements (also all stages), it becomes a legitimate and very fun game. And I don't think anyone here is going to follow the purist creed of "if you have to edit it so much to make it competitive, find a better game", mostly because, well, we really, really like smash. There are no other games that even remotely fill the niche smash fills, unlike fighters like street fighter or tekken, where they're all pretty much the same basic concept; if street fighter 5 turns out to be a total flop, you can either just go back to super street fighter 4, wait for Super Street Fighter 5 where they fix the issues, or play a completely different and yet shockingly similar fighter like Guilty Gear, Blazblue, or Tekken. We do not have that option, so we ban what we absolutely have to. Let's talk about that.

Circle camping is a big no-no, and it works on a bunch of stages. So from our banned stages, we have:

75m
Hanenbow
Hyrule Temple
Mario Bros.
Spear Pillar
The Summit
New Pork City

These stages need to be banned to keep the game even remotely competitive, and I support that sentiment. After all, "brawl without 75m, temple, and co" is a much better game than "purist brawl". I don't think anyone will ever contest this. These stages are gone for good, although we should consider opening them for doubles play, seeing as the broken tactic just simply does not work when there are two people.

Now we have "excessive randomness". If you can't react to it (pictochat has hazard startup and a safe zone, norfair has a ton of hazard startup), and there's no safe way to avoid it, and it's not only arbitrarily random but also severely game-changing (think randomly getting a final smash), then it's definitely excessive randomness. Anything else is debatable, but mostly will fall under "you can react to it, and that is considered a critical skill in this game" (a point you're going to have trouble debating against).

Wario Ware

One stage. Warioware is no good for competition. There is no avoiding the randomness, it is clearly game-changing (you get a star and your opponent is up **** creek. You get a mushroom and your opponent is dead or you're up **** creek).

Then we get to the part where we are a little less obvious. Specifically walkoff (and wall) camping. In a game with things like chaingrabs, walkoffs are a problem. DDD can kill 2/3rds of the cast with a grab on any of these stages. You can lock your opponent against a wall with things like jabs or dtilts or low-knockback throws (ike fthrow, anyone?), dealing them immense amounts of damage or in some cases just outright killing them.

On walkoffs, it's a little shaky to utter purists because there is still competitive gameplay possible on such stages. However, it reduces the "viable cast" to about 1/3rd of its size, or rather would if the viable cast wasn't already very limited by the physics of the game; in such a case, it gets rid of almost the entire viable cast. It leaves only the members of the top and high tiers that DDD can't CG. It's as if DDD could infinite almost everyone in the game. The issue here is trading actual choice (the ability to select something) for viable choice (the ability to select something without ****** yourself). Real purists would never do this unless you're trading a tiny bit of actual choice for a lot of viable choice (like in circle camping and Akuma)... The question is, how much are we talking here?
The second issue with walkoffs is walkoff camping. It's a percieved issue that I will gladly challenge. It makes characters with good grab games great, but the main thing it does is raise risk/reward obscenely. Is this necessarily bad? See the mario circuit thread for details. It's bad, but I really doubt it's as bad as its made out to be. In some cases, it's not even a factor. But to credit this, let's throw out all the stages with permanent walkoffs.

Bridge of Eldin
Flat Zone 2
Mushroomy Kingdom I
Mushroomy Kingdom II (might as well be)
Mario Circuit
Green Hill Zone
Shadow Moses (also might as well have a permanent walkoff)
(Distant planet, YI(M), and onett are all exceptions due to: the rain on distant planet and the main platform being different from the walkoff one, the slope screwing with both CGs and ledgecamping, and the cars interfering respectively)

Then we have walls. The risk-reward on walls is also, well, similar to walkoffs, except you have to work much harder for it-trapping your opponent against a wall if you don't have a CG is actually quite hard. You actually have to make a case against these. And in some cases, this advantage disappears (like in Onett, where you have to give up your attempt at wall infiniting due to cars). I'd argue that any stage that is banned exclusively for this needs slightly more justification. This is where we reach the things that are very, very debatable. Most of the community thinks its justified. I'm on the fence, personally (again, onett gets a pass due to cars)

Corneria

...that's the only stage banned because of it? Whoops.

And now, we reach the stages where I'm left scratching my head thinking "why the hell is this banned?".

Green Greens
Onett
Port Town Aero Dive
Skyworld
Yoshi's Island (Pipes)
Luigi's Mansion
Distant Planet
Rumble Falls
Big Blue

No really, why do most events ban these stages?

Regardless of what term you use 'turn off' the end result is the same. There is no reason to dive into the semantics of what term should be used. At the end of the day, Items aren't going to be used in most tournaments because they are off/banned. We are no different from a group of six friends that have gotten together and decided that the best way to play smash is with Ganon banned, or any other arbitrary thing they have decided to do. We attempt to justify out choices, and have channels to have the right decisions made, but at the end of the day we are a small portion of a larger community playing the game a different way than most. Competitive Brawl, isn't the game that's on the cd. It's our little game that we made up, and decided to make a world-wide game type.
The difference between turning something off and banning it is essentially the difference between flipping a switch and hacking the game to remove the item in question. There is a switch built in to the game to decide which items are on, when, if at all. There is no switch built into the game that will stop you from selecting 75m. We could hack one in, but it's changing the game. Items are not banned, they are off. It's like saying time and coin mode are banned. No, they're just not on. Stock is. It's an in-game setting, and the designer wanted us to be able to play it that way.

We ban stages though. The closest thing to banning a stage is hacking the game and removing that stage from the SSS. Of course, as said above, sometimes it's a good idea. Sometimes we have to. Other times it's not very justified and I wonder "why are we banning this stage". In such moments, there'd either be a very good explanation, or we're all scrubs.

Also, good analogy: consulting sirlin's blog about smash is like asking your "hausartzt" (basically in germany the doctor you go to when you get sick and for general things) how to deal with your ruptured inner ear. He may or may not be able to help you, but he can sure as hell point you in the right direction.

Raziek

Charging Limit All Day
NNID
Raziek
3DS FC
3866-8131-5247
Green Greens
Onett
Port Town Aero Dive
Skyworld
Yoshi's Island (Pipes)
Luigi's Mansion
Distant Planet
Rumble Falls
Big Blue

No really, why do most events ban these stages?
I read the whole thing, but I'm only tackling these really quickly.

Green Greens, Luigi's Mansion, PTAD, Pipes and Distant Planet should all be legal, and ARE all legal at my events.

However, there are legitimate reasons to ban these other stages.

Onett was given testing at my most recent biweekly. It is without a doubt, far too powerful a counterpick for Dedede. The cars don't interfere enough with the chaingrab to stop it. In fact, they actually made it worse. I have a replay I'm going to upload at some point showcasing this. My opponent (Dedede), wall CG'd me until the car alert came, then jumped up and daired me. He avoided the cars, I took the hit from the car AND the dair, and then he immediately killed me after.

The stage can be justifiably DQ'd on the "Reduces character viability to absurdly low numbers" point, since you basically have to pick Dedede, or someone who isn't CG'd, or you lose.

Skyworld is banned because is too drastically changes gameplay. The focus shifts entirely to who can kill off the ceiling the best, and gameplay results are rather inconsistent. This one is a little more sketchy, but it isn't fit for competitive play.

Rumble Falls is another sketchy one, but it comes down to light circle camping, and the fact that the chokepoint is too powerful. If your opponent reaches it first, and you cannot circumvent the sides, you're either going to take an absurd amount of damage, or you'll lose a stock.

Big Blue is basically just detracting too much from regular gameplay. Losing a stock from shield pushback is too harsh a punishment to consider the stage competitive.

Linkshot

Smash Hero
Most characters can circumvent the sides, actually.

D3 is more polarising than that chokepoint :p

Oh, most require a Speed-Up, though.

And MK just ravages the entire stage to pieces.

Yink

The Robo-PSIentist
NNID
SSBYink

Green Greens, Luigi's Mansion, PTAD, Pipes and Distant Planet should all be legal, and ARE all legal at my events.

However, there are legitimate reasons to ban these other stages.

Onett was given testing at my most recent biweekly. It is without a doubt, far too powerful a counterpick for Dedede. The cars don't interfere enough with the chaingrab to stop it. In fact, they actually made it worse. I have a replay I'm going to upload at some point showcasing this. My opponent (Dedede), wall CG'd me until the car alert came, then jumped up and daired me. He avoided the cars, I took the hit from the car AND the dair, and then he immediately killed me after.

The stage can be justifiably DQ'd on the "Reduces character viability to absurdly low numbers" point, since you basically have to pick Dedede, or someone who isn't CG'd, or you lose.

Skyworld is banned because is too drastically changes gameplay. The focus shifts entirely to who can kill off the ceiling the best, and gameplay results are rather inconsistent. This one is a little more sketchy, but it isn't fit for competitive play.

Rumble Falls is another sketchy one, but it comes down to light circle camping, and the fact that the chokepoint is too powerful. If your opponent reaches it first, and you cannot circumvent the sides, you're either going to take an absurd amount of damage, or you'll lose a stock.

Big Blue is basically just detracting too much from regular gameplay. Losing a stock from shield pushback is too harsh a punishment to consider the stage competitive.
I don't want to seem like I didn't read it all I did, but basically what you're saying then is:

Luigi's Mansion, Distant Planet, PTAD, YI (M) and Green Greens should most certainly be legal?

I can understand how, but I guess mostly with PTAD I'd worry about the fact that (while I'm probably wrong) the cars hitting you are pretty much a OHKO aren't they? That and I don't believe you can grab onto the moving platform edges. Can you explain these problems to me and how they could be avoided while playing on the stage?

Other than that, I don't think I'd mind playing on those other stages (except maybe YI (M) ).

UberMario

Smash Master
I can understand how, but I guess mostly with PTAD I'd worry about the fact that (while I'm probably wrong) the cars hitting you are pretty much a OHKO aren't they? That and I don't believe you can grab onto the moving platform edges. Can you explain these problems to me and how they could be avoided while playing on the stage?
[About the cars]

They only kill consistently around 50-90%, plus they tend to be easy to see if you look for them (they drive in the background, the only place forseeing them is an issue is when the track makes a wall to the left, but you can still just get on the highest platform to be safe or just be in the air higher than it.)

[About the ledges]

While it's true that you can't grab the ledges of the "main" platform, about 80% of the time that the platform is in motion you'll end up hitting the track underneath and getting knocked back up onto the track. The only few times you won't are if you (unfortunately) PERFECTLY fit through one of the holes in the track where the cars bounce down [which is pretty hard to do with some characters] and the few times the platform is visually high in the sky, which only seems to occur for about 10 seconds at a time.

PK-ow!

Smash Lord

Yoshi's Island? Walkoff?

I will want to see this vid. I am very interested in the status of Onett.

Whoa whoa whoa.

(A) I don't see how that, as you've just said it, 'drastically changes gameplay'. All it takes for that is moving the blastzone around in any normal stage.

Did you mean the platform ceiling? Ceiling bounce -> permeable cloud stage?

Either way, really, (B) I don't see the connection to the importance of ceiling kills. I thought you were going to say something about destroying terrain to 'control' the match being interference with normal gameplay (and a crapshoot). But it can't just be the one thing, the ceiling - because any character can set up the stage somewhat to preference.

I don't want to get too far off-topic into this argument though. Mainly I'm just interested in the procession of research about Skyworld. I don't expect to ever get people to money match me there.

Someone should probably link to the Big Blue thread.

And the PTAD thread, why not.

UberMario

Smash Master
(A) I don't see how that, as you've just said it, 'drastically changes gameplay'. All it takes for that is moving the blastzone around in any normal stage.

Did you mean the platform ceiling? Ceiling bounce -> permeable cloud stage?

Either way, really, (B) I don't see the connection to the importance of ceiling kills. I thought you were going to say something about destroying terrain to 'control' the match being interference with normal gameplay (and a crapshoot). But it can't just be the one thing, the ceiling - because any character can set up the stage somewhat to preference.

I don't want to get too far off-topic into this argument though. Mainly I'm just interested in the procession of research about Skyworld. I don't expect to ever get people to money match me there.
The platforms can be broken to screw over your opponents, resulting in gameplay being more about platform control than directly killing the opponent (since a ceiling spike with no solid platforms on the bottom can be a sure-fire ko against most characters if done right). Also, I've found it reasonably easy to stall using the ceiling, it's almost as usable as the interior of Temple or Spear Pillar.

Yink

The Robo-PSIentist
NNID
SSBYink
[About the cars]

They only kill consistently around 50-90%, plus they tend to be easy to see if you look for them (they drive in the background, the only place forseeing them is an issue is when the track makes a wall to the left, but you can still just get on the highest platform to be safe or just be in the air higher than it.)

[About the ledges]

While it's true that you can't grab the ledges of the "main" platform, about 80% of the time that the platform is in motion you'll end up hitting the track underneath and getting knocked back up onto the track. The only few times you won't are if you (unfortunately) PERFECTLY fit through one of the holes in the track where the cars bounce down [which is pretty hard to do with some characters] and the few times the platform is visually high in the sky, which only seems to occur for about 10 seconds at a time.
Cars:

I'm aware of the times they're in the background, I'm more interested in the first time you encounter them which is when they drive from left to right (or is it right ot left?) on a stop with 3 platforms. Also dying at 50-90% sounds awful, and on that part I was mentioning before, don't they go through all the platforms? I'm just curious as to how the stage works I suppose. Not bashing it.

Main Platform:

That does seem a little depressing though, if you get knocked down enough you can take all that damage (or get thrown into a wall). Then again I guess that doesn't really matter because it's sort of like how Brinstar hurts with Lava but it's not a big issue.

I can see how it's fine then. I was just curious.

UberMario

Smash Master
I know for a fact they can break through the lower two on that part, but I'm pretty (but not 100%) sure you can't get hit on the topmost of those three platforms, especially since when the person(s) I'm battling and I get to that part of the stage we usually fight to get onto that particular platform.

vVv Rapture

Smash Lord
Writing Team
The platforms can be broken to screw over your opponents, resulting in gameplay being more about platform control than directly killing the opponent (since a ceiling spike with no solid platforms on the bottom can be a sure-fire ko against most characters if done right). Also, I've found it reasonably easy to stall using the ceiling, it's almost as usable as the interior of Temple or Spear Pillar.
To be honest, I think that's competitive play. Being able to control the stage to win, imo, is something that doesn't at all seem game-breaking, nor does it seem like a bad part of competitive play.

One of the great things about dynamic stages is that it brings more to the table during a match, requiring more skill. If a player can not only control the stage, adapt to the stage, and be aware of it at all times, plus fighting his opponent, then that is a good representation of skill.

That doesn't mean that argument can be taken to an extreme. Someone could argue that avoiding things in 75m is skillful, but that is pushing it. But avoiding blatantly obvious cars that aren't even a sure OHKO if they connect or using the unique platform attributes of Skyworld could easily be filed under a good representation of good skill.

PTAD and Skyworld being legal is definitely worth more testing, maybe even Luigi's Mansion and Yoshi's Pipes.

If the stage can keep a solid balance between opponent awareness and stage awareness, there's no reason for it not to be considered (unless there is some other outstanding feature).

With that said, Rumble Falls may be a bit of a stretch, mostly because there is a ton of stage awareness compared to other stages like Norfair. Rumble Falls is always moving, plus the fact that many parts of the stage have significant game changers in them, namely the spikes.

To be honest, there is too much to worry about in Rumble Falls to make it legal.

Raziek

Charging Limit All Day
NNID
Raziek
3DS FC
3866-8131-5247
YI (M) is one that's still in testing around here, I've yet to see enough evidence to convince me that the walk-off is over-centralizing.

Skyworld, like I said, is iffy, but one of the biggest problems I have with it is that the results between players is significantly different on Skyworld than it is across other stages. It and big blue just detract too much from typical gameplay. Unlike other stages that require awareness or adjustment, much like a walk-off, the strategy on skyworld revolves almost solely around breaking the floor and then ceiling spiking.

PTAD has been legal for a long time now around here, and I can say with confidence that it has stood the test of a legitimate counterpick. No strategy is too dominant, and being aware of the cars is something that is easily done after a few games practicing it.

I honestly can't see any problem at all with Mansion besides extremely light circling. If someone has evidence, I'll believe it.

I'd be interested in seeing Skyworld get a little more testing, but I'm not convinced it's fit for competitive play.

Since it's requested, I'm going to record that Onett vid quickly. Will post again when it's done.

UberMario

Smash Master
To be honest, I think that's competitive play. Being able to control the stage to win, imo, is something that doesn't at all seem game-breaking, nor does it seem like a bad part of competitive play.
Alas, being able to control the stage is exactly why Bridge of Eldin, Mario Circuit, Green Hill Zone, Onett, Corneria, and Big Blue are banned. The first few because chaingrabbing and camping, the last one because most kos are easiest by sending someone onto the floor plus the occasional low ceiling that occurs. (They can survive if they land feet first, but if they fall on their back they're dead meat)

One of the great things about dynamic stages is that it brings more to the table during a match, requiring more skill. If a player can not only control the stage, adapt to the stage, and be aware of it at all times, plus fighting his opponent, then that is a good representation of skill.
While true, there is an extremely blurry line of when it goes from being dynamic while requiring skill to win or bing dyamic while requiring luck to win. *cough*WarioWare assist luck*cough*

That doesn't mean that argument can be taken to an extreme. Someone could argue that avoiding things in 75m is skillful, but that is pushing it. But avoiding blatantly obvious cars that aren't even a sure OHKO if they connect or using the unique platform attributes of Skyworld could easily be filed under a good representation of good skill.
75m has more issues than just moving objects, the game goes out of it's way to cause your opponent to grab the ladders (even when you don't want to), there is a walkoff, and generally the stage is too large. Skyworld is arguably one the most frustrating stages of the "near-legal" banned stage.

PTAD and Skyworld being legal is definitely worth more testing, maybe even Luigi's Mansion and Yoshi's Pipes.
Luigi's Mansion used to be legal, but there are a couple of infinites involving the low ceilings. Yoshi's Island's walkoff doesn't really merit being banned imo. Most characters can't camp up there *cough*Star Fox*cough* and chaingrab walkoffs only effectively work if you stay to the right of that character. A stage I'd really like to see become legal is Hanenbow, it's a great stage, but I don't understand why most of my friends don't even want to play on it during CASUALS, yet they'll choose Mario Bros and Spear Pillar just fine in the same series of matches. >_> Distant Planet is my 2nd most wanted legalization, followed by Mario Circuit and Big Blue.

If the stage can keep a solid balance between opponent awareness and stage awareness, there's no reason for it not to be considered (unless there is some other outstanding feature).
While I agree, most people would rather have the former outweigh the latter, which I agree more with.

With that said, Rumble Falls may be a bit of a stretch, mostly because there is a ton of stage awareness compared to other stages like Norfair. Rumble Falls is always moving, plus the fact that many parts of the stage have significant game changers in them, namely the spikes.
The speed is what killed this stage's viability, the spikes just put the nail in the coffin. *pun intended*

To be honest, there is too much to worry about in Rumble Falls to make it legal.
Easily.

DMG

Smash Legend
Slippi.gg
DMG#931
There is no way Hanenbow would become legal. Circle camping is easily an issue there. There is a trifecta of points for people to go to that makes it unreasonable for many characters to stop a near endless game of Tag for those who can abuse it. Even good characters will fail to this.

Rumble Falls is also pretty bad. The stage forces you to continuously go upwards, whether you are fighting the opponent or not. Despite whatever intentions you have, the stage steps in and says "Listen to me or you die". Even if you want to fight the other guy, you have to either fight him AND move, or abandon that and keep up with the stage. Even if there were no spikes, walkoffs, sharking issues, etc, I don't think the best direction for us to go in Brawl is to add stages that function like that.

sunshade

Smash Ace
Alright sports fans, here's the Onett video.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KCwPC2s78Cc

Dedede is just too strong on it.
Did you buffer shield or dolphin slash? I don't think Dedede's Down throw -> Down air is a true combo against the wall. I am unaware of how large the cars hitboxes are but you may have been able to SDI out of that.

Even if that was inescapable I dont see how that makes the stage too good for him. He just barely won with two stocks (better off calling it a 1 stock win really). The ice climbers do the same thing on every stage and falco's down throw to down air can spell death for many characters without a good recovery.

This really does not seem like a worthy example of why the stage is broken, at least not for me.

DMG

Smash Legend
Slippi.gg
DMG#931
Dedede will never be the reason to ban a stage because someone else will come along and **** him. MK, Diddy, Falco, IC's, whoever it may be.

Dedede isn't the problem on Onett, characters good at running away who love having the opponent above them will LOVE the stage. Of course this is a broken record, but MK does love this stage because the various terrain differences make punishing tornado extremely difficult both on shield and just trying to catch him. Most of the time characters will have to jump at some point on the stage to try and chase him to his landing spot, which means they are assured to be too slow to keep up with him.

T-block

B2B TST
You should try only approaching when the car is about to come. 1:45 was an example of the right timing.

The cars come often enough that it should be doable, but I wouldn't be surprised if this turned out to be an unreasonable expectation of the non-Dedede player.

Raziek

Charging Limit All Day
NNID
Raziek
3DS FC
3866-8131-5247
I'm not saying Dedede specifically ruins the stage, but it still falls under the "Reduces character viability too much" banner. You have to play Dedede, MK, or someone who can't get chaingrabbed, or you lose. As for the fact that it was still a reasonably close match, I normally beat his Dedede solidly, so this was a drastic shift in the other direction.

Also, I'll see the "Dedede is not a reason to ban a stage" quote, and raise you one Shadow Moses Island, or Corneria, if you prefer.

It's an over-centralizing tactic.

DMG

Smash Legend
Slippi.gg
DMG#931
Corneria: Camping the lower wall area. Best strategy by far especially when combined with the edge invincibility.

Shadow Moses: Cave of Immortality. Killing people here is really hard when the walls are in play, because they can either tech the walls or DI in such a way that they just bounce horizontally back and forth.

Tesh

Smash Hero
I thought those were banned for "walkoff camping" not specifically for DDD.

In any case, even if you normally beat that guy, it doesn't mean he didn't outplay you on that stage. You had chances to dtilt lock him, but you kept using forward air. He was bouncing into the walls to live longer and you were having trouble killing him off the top. Obviously its a good stage for DDD as it rules out killing off the bottom and often the sides of the screen, but you did get outplayed despite having the tools to win.

The stage does seem vaguely centralized around wall locking people into the car for extra damage, but not simply picking only DDD or a super lightweight. He might possibly be the best choice, but so is MK on Rainbow Cruise (among other places).

NNID
Budget_Player
Yoshi's Island? Walkoff?
Not really an issue. No stage element is in and of itself an issue, it's what effect or strategies it has/enables. In most cases, walkoffs enable DDD 0-death CGs and walkoff camping with grabs. Yoshi's Island enables DDD's 0-deaths only for 6 characters. 3 Are low/bottom tier, making them irrelevant-DDD will **** in their faces on any stage he counterpicks. 1 is DK, see the other 3. One is wario, and if he's getting grabbed, he's doing **** wrong. The only one who really matters is Lucario, and that's what a stage ban is for.
Walkoff camping is only effective with one character on YI(M) (olimar because his grabs go down the slope), and even then you gain the option of assault from above far easier and safer. There is nothing wrong with YI(M)'s walkoff.

Judo777

Smash Master
1 char is not a good enough reason to ban a stage........ *glares at MK and Brinstar/RC* D3 is not the reason for any stage being banned. Its just the first answer cause its obvious. Every other stage has several good reasons why its banned.

Juushichi

sugoi ~ sugoi ~
I'm wondering. If the amount of stages and counter-picks go up, will the number of ban's for them go up as well? I know a couple of players were kicking around the idea of using the current (MLG) list and doing two bans from it. One ban for a starter and one for a counter-pick and that seemed like a good idea. Does anyone have an opinion on that?

Raziek

Charging Limit All Day
NNID
Raziek
3DS FC
3866-8131-5247
@Juushichi

I now use a large stage list at the biweeklies I host, and there are indeed, 2 bans to compensate.

@The rest of you: I guess what I'm trying to say is I've actually tested it in a tournament environment, and I don't see it fit for competitive play.

ADHD

Smash Hero
I'm not ysaying Dedede specifically ruins the stage, but it still falls under the "Reduces character viability too much" banner. You have to play Dedede, MK, or someone who can't get chaingrabbed, or you lose. As for the fact that it was still a reasonably close match, I normally beat his Dedede solidly, so this was a drastic shift in the other direction.

Also, I'll see the "Dedede is not a reason to ban a stage" quote, and raise you one Shadow Moses Island, or Corneria, if you prefer.

It's an over-centralizing tactic.
I don't see anything wrong with having to go MK to counter the wall infinite, why is that a problem again? Character availability isn't anything to consider about stage legalization.

One character dominating a stage is irrelevant even so, just ban it if it's that bad? That's why Japes is banned against Falco players.

Raziek

Charging Limit All Day
NNID
Raziek
3DS FC
3866-8131-5247
I don't see anything wrong with having to go MK to counter the wall infinite, why is that a problem again? Character availability isn't anything to consider about stage legalization.

One character dominating a stage is irrelevant even so, just ban it if it's that bad? That's why Japes is banned against Falco players.
One of the main criteria usually used is if the stages reduces character viability to a very small sub-set of characters who have a near 100% win rate on the stage. This alone is not a huge problem in and of itself, but coupled with the terrain features, Onett becomes almost completely focused on the walls, and the dominant strategy of wall-locks, and who can or can't avoid them. The tactic of abusing the walls is in my opinion, too strong. There is virtually no way to avoid them, and the cost for one mistake is in my opinion, too high. It's different from the cars on PTAD in that the stage is moving, and there are safe spots. Onett is static, and the cars don't do enough to alleviate the problem.

Further, "Just ban it" becomes less of an option as the stage list gets larger. I don't really think Onett brings anything competitively valuable to the table, and as such, I think it should be banned. Everyone who tested it at the tournament agreed, so it's gone.

You guys don't have to agree with it if you don't want to, but so far, I'm pretty sure I'm the only one who has actually tested it in tournament.

ADHD

Smash Hero
One of the main criteria usually used is if the stages reduces character viability to a very small sub-set of characters who have a near 100% win rate on the stage. This alone is not a huge problem in and of itself, but coupled with the terrain features, Onett becomes almost completely focused on the walls, and the dominant strategy of wall-locks, and who can or can't avoid them. The tactic of abusing the walls is in my opinion, too strong. There is virtually no way to avoid them, and the cost for one mistake is in my opinion, too high. It's different from the cars on PTAD in that the stage is moving, and there are safe spots. Onett is static, and the cars don't do enough to alleviate the problem.

Further, "Just ban it" becomes less of an option as the stage list gets larger. I don't really think Onett brings anything competitively valuable to the table, and as such, I think it should be banned. Everyone who tested it at the tournament agreed, so it's gone.

You guys don't have to agree with it if you don't want to, but so far, I'm pretty sure I'm the only one who has actually tested it in tournament.
Onett is a green greens without the potential to be gimped and center camping. I see nothing wrong with this stage. DDD does not gain a near 100% chance of winning even if you are cg'able, just as rainbow does not. You can avoid the wall infinite by going over to the bottom of the left/right walls, forcing him into a disadvantaged position if he is to approach.

The area with the line containing flags, or the roof below it is excellent for camping to avoid wall lock/grab infinites. I don't understand how your personal statement, "I always beat him solidly" displays any form of an argument. It's a counterpick for a reason.

UberMario

Smash Master
One character isn't enough to ban a stage"
If one of the players is Ness in the original game, Saffron City goes from being a counterpick to banned, though it's because of Ness' inability to recover there [in between the skyscrapers] rather than overpoweredness.

Come to think of it, why can't we make the stages that DeDeDe is overpowered on (Onett, Mario Circuit, etc.) counterpicks [except SMI of course], and just ban them when he is chosen? Most other characters, like Yoshi, Pikachu, and Falco, can only chaingrab up to a certain percentage (and thus can only be so far from the kill zone when they start) so that wouldn't really be a problem to battle them in those places.

Linkshot

Smash Hero
Rumble Falls is entirely clockwork. There is absolutely nothing random about the stage. When the speed up occurs, that just means the clockwork speeds up.

I can very easily navigate the stage while fighting my opponent. No johns.

KoRoBeNiKi

Smash Hero
Writing Team
Slippi.gg
KORO#668
If one of the players is Ness in the original game, Saffron City goes from being a counterpick to banned, though it's because of Ness' inability to recover there [in between the skyscrapers] rather than overpoweredness.

Come to think of it, why can't we make the stages that DeDeDe is overpowered on (Onett, Mario Circuit, etc.) counterpicks [except SMI of course], and just ban them when he is chosen? Most other characters, like Yoshi, Pikachu, and Falco, can only chaingrab up to a certain percentage (and thus can only be so far from the kill zone when they start) so that wouldn't really be a problem to battle them in those places.
your first statement is beyond wrong.

Saffrom goes from a randomized neutral to a counterpick. it says that if this stage is randomized and one person uses Ness, the stage can be repicked. It is allowed to be counterpicked vs Ness.

I personally agree with ADHD that Onett is actually fine but for my reason is due to the cars themselves. The cars prevent chain grabbing as they hit the characters.

Also, even if someone can not be chain grabbed by D3, it doesn't mean Falco can't do the same thing against a wall (I.E. SM Island). The other main reason why SM is banned is as says the teching issue and that it over-centralizes vertical killing characters.

It is not the chain grabs themselves UM, it is that the chain grabs move the opponent across the stage into a death.

On Mario circuit, D3 can grab someone once and just rush to the end of the stage, forward throwing them to kill them.

For Link Shot, I up air "combo" you into the spike or use another move and it instantly kills you. GG CP?

Luxor

Smash Champion
For Onett, you have to stay on the buildings to avoid being CGed and make D3 come to you- he shouldn't be infiniting you on this stage. That being said, Onett is much like Corneria. They both have a wall, but that's not the main issue. They both have an extremely dominant camping position- the fin and the "pit" between houses. It's an easy matter to avoid getting Dtilt locked by MK on Corneria's fin (don't go down there) just like it's easy not to get CGed on Onett (don't go to street level). It's almost impossible to approach MK or someone behind the fin if they have the lead; CGable characters can't approach D3 in the pit either, and many other characters have range and disjoints to camp the pit effectively. Time outs on Onett would be as common as on Corneria- very.

Linkshot

Smash Hero
Which spike, KoRo? The "Death"?

I main Lucario. I completely ignore that portion by utilising wallclings and walljumps to snap the ledge on the right side of the first large wall.

If you're talking about the row of transcendant spikes, I DI toward the solid platforms on either side, tech, and retaliate. OR I DI toward the right if the spikes are inevitable so I hit the ceiling and survive.

If you're talking about the meteor spike, I just take it and techroll away.

KoRoBeNiKi

Smash Hero
Writing Team
Slippi.gg
KORO#668
Which spike, KoRo? The "Death"?

I main Lucario. I completely ignore that portion by utilising wallclings and walljumps to snap the ledge on the right side of the first large wall.

If you're talking about the row of transcendant spikes, I DI toward the solid platforms on either side, tech, and retaliate. OR I DI toward the right if the spikes are inevitable so I hit the ceiling and survive.

If you're talking about the meteor spike, I just take it and techroll away.
meteor spike mostly.

This stage would also be in a incredibly good MK stage vs basically anyone.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom