• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Stage Legality Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

AvaricePanda

Smash Lord
everywhere i look it's ADHD vs. BPC/Jack Kieser

god****
pretty much lol.

Define controversial. Onett is controversial. DP is controversial. YI(M), PTAD, Pictochat and co are NOT controversial stages.
You say PTAD, YI(M), and Pictochat aren't controversial stages because you think they're perfectly fine as legal stages, but even if they are that's not the meaning of the word. Controversial is just that—something that causes large amounts of disagreement in discussion (a.k.a. controversy). Onett is honestly less controversial than stages like Pictochat, Norfair, or Green Greens because there's much more arguments over the latter three, whereas Onett is usually universally agreed to be banworthy and isn't legal in any tournaments.

sorry i harped on that but it just irritates me.

I have a second question then; what's changed in the past year where stages that have been legal from 08-summer 09 (like Mansion, Norfair, PTAD and DP to an extent, etc) should be re-evaluated if those regions/communities already deemed them banworthy?

I'm just asking all this because technically, these stages you're hardcore theory-monster arguing on are already legal. This would be understandable if this was like an online game and these stages weren't an option in tournament setting and you had to patch it in or something, but the only thing stopping these stages from making it to tournaments are the TOs and regions, not the actual recommended ruleset. If a region as a whole have voiced their opinions on X stages for them to be banworthy, and the TO feels they'll have happier and more attendance with X stages on their list, then...

eh, I just feel like you're going at this the wrong way. Instead of getting riled up in like 5 different threads against the same people and saying, "we need to test things more before we dismiss it," you should probably actually test things, or why you need to when regions have before, etc. If you're trying to convince more people that X stage isn't bad, you should do things like make concise posts on stages. I like sunshade's thread on why certain stages are banned. Things like Judo's Norfair post or the Pictochat post some while ago (the more correct one lol) help a lot with just understanding stages. When you get to the point of, "blahblahblah this is degenerate blahblahblah no it isn't you got outplayed," it's just annoying and opinionated.

especially because it repeats

a lot.

bigman40

Smash Master
Lol. I just want my question answered. What's so bad about YI: Melee? I've never seen a complete dissertation on it and it was banned form the beginning.

ADHD

Smash Hero
Lol. I just want my question answered. What's so bad about YI: Melee? I've never seen a complete dissertation on it and it was banned form the beginning.
Beats me, the blastzones are kinda lame, as well as the pikachu able to cg the entire cast or something like that thing.

DMG probably invented some ******** camping tactic, though. Why is this beaten out by green greens again?

Tesh

Smash Hero
Pikachu's CG is percentage based though. Its also more difficult to even grab on the slope due to grabs not following the slope (except olimar). The slope causes grab breaks immediately if you are a "low grabber" which makes it a little more difficult.

In any case what is pikachu's best stage right now? I doubt Pika on YI:M is any better than MK on RC.

Also, green greens is awesome

DMG

Smash Legend
Slippi.gg
DMG#931
There are a few problems with YI Melee. The double edged pit in the middle makes it easier for "pretty good" planking characters to remove their flaws and make it closer to MK status. G&W for example:

- He normally has a pretty big exploitable hole in that all of his aerials keep going while his invincibility runs out (meaning you can outmaneuver him and hit him once invincibility runs off, and he cannot prevent it from happening.) On most regular stages near the edge, there is a lot of room under the planker and to the sides of the planker. For characters like Marth and G&W, that room to the sides is what allows you to more easily hit them if you cannot vertically match their hitboxes. That room is now gone however in the middle pit. If you cannot match their hitboxes vertically, you will struggle. Also because the sides are gone, avoiding the blowback from his Uair is also much harder giving him an easier time keeping you away while he is normally vulnerable. Grabbing the other edge to match their invincibility is only good for characters who can afford to drop down and chase the planker. Otherwise grabbing the other edge is futile.

- The stage layout is such that killing is either REALLY easy or REALLY hard, with little inbetween. Horizontal kills are extremely difficult to get with the slopes in the way for teching, but extremely easy near the left side. Vertical Kills are pretty easy to get unless it slants a bit where you can DI into the slopes. They are very hard to get with DI into the blocks though. "Cave of Immortality" isn't as prominent here as Mansion or Hyrule or other stages, but it certainly doesn't bring anything positive to gameplay.

- The other problems with YI Melee I could list, but most people would not believe/hard to see unless tournament matches showed it. Some of the stuff MK can abuse, camping under people on slopes, etc. It is interesting to note that it is a pretty good Pika CP not just because of the CG's but because of the QAC Camping options he gains from having the slants and blocks in play.

AvaricePanda

Smash Lord
For like 13, avarice's posts are amazing.
i'm 15 nugguh

also hit me up on these aim convos, even though we suck at holding conversation.

YI:M, PTAD, I can see pretty much every other stage being legal over Green Greens, omfg, I don't think I can ever be convinced that stage is worthy of being legal. Can someone break it down for me? Every match I've played on it has had so many absurd things happen, and it's not like I'm ignorant of the stage hazards and what to do to get around them, but still. I see it as each individual thing doesn't warrant a ban, but combined they're just dumb. and even if I play perfectly the camera decides to be a prick and not show a bomb that just spawned right next to me and gg GG.

Anyone care to explain why this stage isn't dumb?

edit: thanks DMG for the YI:M explanation.

san.

1/Sympathy = Divide By Zero
NNID
Sansoldier
3DS FC
4957-2846-2924
Just so I know how others see it, which characters are able to perform degenerate circle camping, and can someone give me a brief explanation or summary how it degenerates the gameplay? Anything with a vague resemblance of a circle in a level is looked down upon, so I was wondering of the ways such a tactic can be performed so well in brawl.

Linkshot

Smash Hero
Holy ****.
That Toon Link is beautiful.
I want his babies except I'm male and can't carry babies.

Awesome use of the apples. Also lol MK DI'd up and killed himself.

sunshade

Smash Ace
Just so I know how others see it, which characters are able to perform degenerate circle camping, and can someone give me a brief explanation or summary how it degenerates the gameplay? Anything with a vague resemblance of a circle in a level is looked down upon, so I was wondering of the ways such a tactic can be performed so well in brawl.
Any character who has a greater average speed than the opponent is able to circle camp any character who has a slower average speed. Average speed varies based on stage due to some stages requiring more travel time in the air than others.

I have made other posts about how circle camping works but here is a post I made most recently.

@ADHD: Why don't you ever reply to me anymore D: you only but heads with Jack and BPC in which case it boils down to nothing but name calling or massive theory crafting.
Spear Pillars hazards are a non issues and do near nothing to stop circle stall. Allow me to explain why spear pillar is banned using the following diagram.

There are 4 points on spear pillar A, B, C, and D. We have two characters on this stage character X and character Y (it does not matter who is X or Y so long as X is faster than Y).

The match has begun and the clock is ticking. There are eight minutes on the timer. Character X knows he is faster and runs up and tries to hit Y to get an early lead. Y however reacts and punishes X's attempt and gains the lead. Character Y is standing at point D and character X is standing between C and D.

Character Y thinks to himself "I dont want to lose the lead so I will move to point B". Character Y moves to point B and character X follows him to point D. Character Y thinks to himself again "I dont want to lose the lead so I will move to point A". Character Y attempts to get to point A however character X is faster then him and catches up and hits character Y.

Character X now has the lead. character Y was knocked back to between A and B and Character X is at B.

Character X thinks to himself "I dont want to lose the lead so I will move to point D". Character X moves to point D and character Y follows him to point D. Character X thinks to himself again "I dont want to lose the lead so I will move to point C". Character X thinks the same thing yet again only unlike character Y he is faster therefore he will never be caught.

Character X repeats this until the timer runs out and the match ends with only two hits landed.

Spear Pillars circle stall causes matches to become "gain the lead and never lose it or lose the match 100% of the time. This is why it is banned.

Tesh

Smash Hero
I think he meant "light circles". The notion that if I jump over you, then roll back in front of you, its a degenerate tactic.

NNID
Budget_Player
I have a second question then; what's changed in the past year where stages that have been legal from 08-summer 09 (like Mansion, Norfair, PTAD and DP to an extent, etc) should be re-evaluated if those regions/communities already deemed them banworthy?
Well first of all, several regions have deemed them banworthy without any/much thought. Why is it that EC bans pictochat, norfair, and Jungle Japes, among others, when MLG and the midwest have both found them fit for competitive play? Why do some tourneygoers in the west want to ban Lylat Cruise (this could just be GangstaKirby, ionno :p)? The issue is not only that the metagame has changed (it has), but also that many stages were banned before truly given a chance. Luigi's Mansion was first banned because it made MK's Tornado the best move in brawl. This was shown to be untrue; this was a premature ban. So now people are pointing to other factors. PTAD was banned because of excessive hazards and randomness. It's been shown to have a pattern. YI(M) was banned because of fear of the walk-off and the hole. Both of these have proven to be not really serious issues. PS2 was banned because it messes with your physics; this is really not a big deal in the long run. Norfair was banned beca–
Why the hell was norfair banned again? Stupid EC.

I'm just asking all this because technically, these stages you're hardcore theory-monster arguing on are already legal. This would be understandable if this was like an online game and these stages weren't an option in tournament setting and you had to patch it in or something, but the only thing stopping these stages from making it to tournaments are the TOs and regions, not the actual recommended ruleset. If a region as a whole have voiced their opinions on X stages for them to be banworthy, and the TO feels they'll have happier and more attendance with X stages on their list, then...
But why are these regions against these stages? Why are the TOs bowing down to scrubs? Why are top players in the region such scrubs?

I'm aware that the issue here is not the BBR list. The BBR list is quite sensible in many aspects. The issue is that so many players just aren't interested in dynamic stages. But why the hell? Shouldn't they be playing street fighter then? After all, dynamic stages are a critical part of smash!

eh, I just feel like you're going at this the wrong way. Instead of getting riled up in like 5 different threads against the same people and saying, "we need to test things more before we dismiss it," you should probably actually test things, or why you need to when regions have before, etc. If you're trying to convince more people that X stage isn't bad, you should do things like make concise posts on stages. I like sunshade's thread on why certain stages are banned. Things like Judo's Norfair post or the Pictochat post some while ago (the more correct one lol) help a lot with just understanding stages. When you get to the point of, "blahblahblah this is degenerate blahblahblah no it isn't you got outplayed," it's just annoying and opinionated.
I fail at research for various reasons, first and foremost because I am a bad player and I have no one around me to test with. ;_;

For like 13, avarice's posts are amazing.
Tru dat. He's certainly smarter than you or most of the other top players in this argument

There are a few problems with YI Melee. The double edged pit in the middle makes it easier for "pretty good" planking characters to remove their flaws and make it closer to MK status. G&W for example:

- He normally has a pretty big exploitable hole in that all of his aerials keep going while his invincibility runs out (meaning you can outmaneuver him and hit him once invincibility runs off, and he cannot prevent it from happening.) On most regular stages near the edge, there is a lot of room under the planker and to the sides of the planker. For characters like Marth and G&W, that room to the sides is what allows you to more easily hit them if you cannot vertically match their hitboxes. That room is now gone however in the middle pit. If you cannot match their hitboxes vertically, you will struggle. Also because the sides are gone, avoiding the blowback from his Uair is also much harder giving him an easier time keeping you away while he is normally vulnerable. Grabbing the other edge to match their invincibility is only good for characters who can afford to drop down and chase the planker. Otherwise grabbing the other edge is futile.
We already have global LGLs for whatever reason, so planking in the pit is not a huge issue.

- The stage layout is such that killing is either REALLY easy or REALLY hard, with little inbetween. Horizontal kills are extremely difficult to get with the slopes in the way for teching, but extremely easy near the left side. Vertical Kills are pretty easy to get unless it slants a bit where you can DI into the slopes. They are very hard to get with DI into the blocks though. "Cave of Immortality" isn't as prominent here as Mansion or Hyrule or other stages, but it certainly doesn't bring anything positive to gameplay.
Not 100% convinced. I score lots of kills on that stage, with a character who is not exactly genius at killing off the top. But w/e. Would appreciate seeing some tournament matches.

- The other problems with YI Melee I could list, but most people would not believe/hard to see unless tournament matches showed it. Some of the stuff MK can abuse, camping under people on slopes, etc. It is interesting to note that it is a pretty good Pika CP not just because of the CG's but because of the QAC Camping options he gains from having the slants and blocks in play.
I can imagine Pika being a monster on that stage, but I doubt it's too extreme of a counterpick.

ADHD

Smash Hero
BPC, I've said before, we can play how we want to because it's better COMPETITIVELY. We want two players to go in and the better man win. Obstacles are far too character specific favoring, too much so that there's barely any room to adapt to them. Knowledge of matchups and of countering movesets are forced null because of the over-interfering hazards. It doesn't matter if you see avoiding obstacles as skill, they completely take away from everything you've learned in the past about 1v1 combat. This isn't gameboy Super Mario Bros, and basically, if you instituted a more liberal stagelist people would drop their long termed mains and just main Metaknight, but I guess that isn't a problem.

We shouldn't be looking at stages from the perspective of banning them if absolutely necessary, because no stage is absolutely necessary to ban. There is no such thing a an unbeatable tactic. Circle camping? Hard, but beatable. Metaknight planking? Risky, but beatable. What is too random and interfering? As BPC and Jack Keiser stated, randomness and interferences are natural parts of brawl. We should look at the perspective of how much they interfer with 1v1 combat, because that's what singles is. We've "neutered" the game for our own standards on how we'd prefer to play what was handed to us, and that's absolutely fine.

Jack Kieser

Smash Champion
BPC, I've said before, we can play how we want to because it's better COMPETITIVELY.
That's what you want to believe, and that's how you want others to view you. The facts, however, point to a very different conclusion. Mainly, the fact that you've never actually PROVEN that it's better competitively, just that you like it more that way.

We want two players to go in and the better man win.
Obviously, which is why you give the LOSER a counterpick. Yeah, your policies TOTALLY reinforce your argument.

Obstacles are far too character specific favoring, too much so that there's barely any room to adapt to them.
Certain ones are, sure. And, once those obstacles have been PROVEN to overcentralize around themselves, we ban them. NOT BEFORE, and certainly not on a gut reaction or because we want to.

Knowledge of matchups and of countering movesets are forced null because of the over-interfering hazards.
See above.

It doesn't matter if you see avoiding obstacles as skill, they completely take away from everything you've learned in the past about 1v1 combat.
You mean that they take away from everything you've learned about TRADITIONAL 1v1 combat. Too bad this isn't a traditional 1v1 fighter. Stop trying to pidgeon-hole Brawl as Street Fighter, because regardless of whether you want it to play like that, it isn't, and it won't.

This isn't gameboy Super Mario Bros...
And it isn't Street Fighter, Tekken, or Soul Calibur, either.

...and basically, if you instituted a more liberal stagelist people would drop their long termed mains and just main Metaknight, but I guess that isn't a problem.
Not if Meta Knight is really the best character in the game, it's not. And, everything points to the fact that he is. Statistically (as proven by Crow! and OS months ago), MANY more people should be maining MK than we already have.

We shouldn't be looking at stages from the perspective of banning them if absolutely necessary, because no stage is absolutely necessary to ban. There is no such thing a an unbeatable tactic.
You ban stages for overcentralizing tactics. "Unbeatable" is a good indicator, but it isn't the end-all-be-all, it's only a point in a much larger schema. You ban things that degrade the competitive environment; it just so happens that "unbeatable" things usually fall into that category.

Circle camping? Hard, but beatable.
And it centralizes around itself. Circle camp or BE circle camped.

Metaknight planking? Risky, but beatable.
And it centralizes around itself. Plank, or BE planked.

We should look at the perspective of how much they interfer with 1v1 combat, because that's what singles is.
Sure, in other games. Again, this isn't a traditional fighter. If you want to play traditional 1v1 fighting combat, play another game, and stop forcing the REST of us to forgo what makes Smash unique just because YOU don't see the competitive value in it.

Life

Smash Hero
BPC, I've said before, we can play how we want to because it's better COMPETITIVELY. We want two players to go in and the better man win. Obstacles are far too character specific favoring, too much so that there's barely any room to adapt to them. Knowledge of matchups and of countering movesets are forced null because of the over-interfering hazards. It doesn't matter if you see avoiding obstacles as skill, they completely take away from everything you've learned in the past about 1v1 combat. This isn't gameboy Super Mario Bros, and basically, if you instituted a more liberal stagelist people would drop their long termed mains and just main Metaknight, but I guess that isn't a problem.

"Dey see me trollin', dey hatin'..." We've gone over this. If more people main MK, so what? Killing MK is not the objective of the stage list.

We shouldn't be looking at stages from the perspective of banning them if absolutely necessary, because no stage is absolutely necessary to ban. Wario Ware. There is no such thing a an unbeatable tactic. ORLY? Circle camping? Hard, but beatable. BS. Fox lasers you, and unless you're Sonic or Cap'n, you lose. Because, you know, YOU'RE TOO SLOW :sonic: Metaknight planking? Risky, but beatable. Also BS in theory, although most humans aren't going to be capable of perfect planking correctly. What is too random and interfering? As BPC and Jack Keiser stated, randomness and interferences are a natural part of brawl. We should look at the perspective of how much they interfer with 1v1 combat, because that's what singles is. We've "neutered" the game for our own standards on how we'd prefer to play what was handed to us, and that's absolutely fine.
So yeah. Ten so yeahs.

NNID
Budget_Player
So in other words, you want to play a specific (inconsistent, BTW) subvarient of SSBB that favors your kind of play, paint it as "the most competitive method", and force it on all of us. This would work if you had anything to back up your claims that it's a better game, competitively. As it stands, you're going against the most basic tenant of competitive game balancing ("Ban as little as possible"), and have not shown any evidence whatsoever that justifies that.

And then you ***** about overcentralizing stage obstacles. We ban stages with obstacles like that. Permanent walls/walkoffs, circles, etc. No stage we are supporting has an obstacle that is "far too character-specific favoring" (the closest ones being Onett for chars like DDD and DK, and RC/RF for chars like MK, but only the most radical of us support RF, while Onett and RC actually are fairly decent). And you can adapt to all of them.

We shouldn't be looking at stages from the perspective of banning them if absolutely necessary, because no stage is absolutely necessary to ban. There is no such thing a an unbeatable tactic. Circle camping? Hard, but beatable. Metaknight planking? Risky, but beatable.
We ban a stage when matchups become polar there. Circle camping makes literally every matchup in the game either 99-1, 1-99, or 50-50 with degenerate strategies. Again, equate to SF2T Akuma. With akuma in the game, the only relevant matchups are all about 99-1 Akuma, except the ditto. Is this a good game? No, of course not. Is it possible to have competitive play there? Oh, it's possible, but it's a little ridiculous due to how little skill you need and how limited your choice in characters are.

But you're equating Circle Camping to things like what you ban in EC. It's NOT absolutely necessary to ban Norfair or Pictochat. There's no/very little removal of viable choice through legalizing those stages. When you legalize pictochat, norfair, YI(M), and PTAD, who becomes inviable? Nobody who isn't already inviable. When you legalize Summit, Temple, Spear Pillar, and NPC, who becomes inviable? Everyone who isn't... I believe Fox, Sonic, or Metaknight. And even then, it's stupidly polarizing. When you legalize metaknight's planking, who becomes inviable? Every other character in the game.

What is too random and interfering? As BPC and Jack Keiser stated, randomness and interferences are natural parts of brawl. We should look at the perspective of how much they interfer with 1v1 combat, because that's what singles is. We've "neutered" the game for our own standards on how we'd prefer to play what was handed to us, and that's absolutely fine.
We should look at the perspective of how much they marginalize skill, not how much they interfere with 1v1 combat. How many times do we have to say it-It's NEVER 1v1. Even on FD, it's always going to be PvPvS. So every stage interferes with 1v1 combat, and to say that one polar edge of that scale is the "correct" manner to fight is outright ridiculous. In fact, to competition, the level of PvS is inconsequential. It only matters in one case-when actual player skill is outright removed from play to a serious extent. Wario Ware? I could probably go reasonably even with a top-level pro on that stage. Temple? There is no skill required to win with circle camping. Norfair?

(crickets)

Not seeing how that mitigates player skill. See also: every other stages that we're arguing for.

And you know, I wouldn't have much against you guys playing the game how you want if it was just you. Like, you know, I have nothing against that noob who plays against his brother and 2 level 9 CPUs on a team with Smashballs and Pokeballs on high on Summit or Mario Bros. It's not a problem at all. Except when they play that way, they are playing that way for themselves. When you guys play that way, this happens:

Apex Stagelist said:
Starter:
* Final Destination
* Battlefield
* Yoshi's Story
* Smashville
* Lylat

Counterpick:
* Delfino Plaza
* Frigate Orpheon
* Battleship Halberd
* Castle Siege
* Rainbow Cruise
* Brinstar
* Pokemon Stadium 1
pound4 stagelist said:
Neutral Stages:
-Battlefield
-Final Destination
-Smashville
-Yoshis Island
-Lylat Cruise

Counterpick Stages:
-Delfino Plaza
-Frigate Orpheon
-Battleship Halberd
-Rainbow Cruise
-Brinstar
-Pokemon Stadium
Again, if you guys were some random scrubs playing in your bedrooms against other random scrubs, you could play however the **** you wanted. However, your **** is spilling out onto other regions, and onto nationals. Places like MW lose face for not being INCREDIBLY scrubby, and actually playing with stages like PTAD or Norfair. Almost every major national except MLG (thank you for being sane, guys) has a stupidly scrubby, ground-based stage list that not only bans a ****ton of legitimate stages for no adequate reason, but also has the same 5-starter stage list which favors grounded characters to the obscene.

AvaricePanda

Smash Lord
blah blah blah blah scrubby blah blah more competitive blah blah

i should leave soon

BUT FIRST

Well first of all, several regions have deemed them banworthy without any/much thought. Why is it that EC bans pictochat, norfair, and Jungle Japes, among others, when MLG and the midwest have both found them fit for competitive play?
It's probably just a difference of opinions, like we're seeing in this thread.

The issue is not only that the metagame has changed (it has),
But how much? What has changed? Has it changed to the point where months/a year of playing on X stages and regions deciding to ban those stages is invalid?

but also that many stages were banned before truly given a chance. Luigi's Mansion was first banned because it made MK's Tornado the best move in brawl. This was shown to be untrue; this was a premature ban.
IIRC, Luigi's was banned because of the light circle, cave of live, and it being a really strong CP for some characters—"too" strong in the eyes of some people. I know MW:E and Texas had this stage on their list for a while up until some point in 09, and when it was banned there was general dislike for it. Maybe it wasn't 100% warranted, but I'm more inclined to believe the opinions of people who'd been playing on the stage for months to say if it's banworthy or not, because they must have banned it for a reason.
So now people are pointing to other factors. PTAD was banned because of excessive hazards and randomness. It's been shown to have a pattern.
Yes, but does the pattern remove from the strength of the hazards that some people see? I'm also pretty sure people have known there was some pattern beforehand, but in any case I doubt it was, "PTAD is random let's ban it," and more of, "PTAD has a bunch of odd features including the cars that punish too hard." It may not necessarily be true, but eh see above.
YI(M) was banned because of fear of the walk-off and the hole. Both of these have proven to be not really serious issues.
When was this proven?

PS2 was banned because it messes with your physics; this is really not a big deal in the long run.
The only real problem I've seen with PS2 is Marth's Dancing blade glitch where he dies on one of the transformations, otherwise this stage should really be legal everywhere lol.

But why are these regions against these stages? Why are the TOs bowing down to scrubs? Why are top players in the region such scrubs?

I'm aware that the issue here is not the BBR list. The BBR list is quite sensible in many aspects. The issue is that so many players just aren't interested in dynamic stages. But why the hell? Shouldn't they be playing street fighter then? After all, dynamic stages are a critical part of smash!
The issue here is that Brawl wasn't designed to be a competitive fighting game. It was designed to be a party game, and the community made it into a (you could say makeshift) fighting game, so obviously some rules had to be tweaked.

So since our game and thus our community isn't the same as a traditional fighting game, most people don't hold the same standard viewpoints as people from other fighting games. You can quote Sirlin all you want and call people scrubs on the forums for not viewing things a certain way, but the thing is people in this community don't care.

Regions are against certain stages obviously because they've played on them, experienced them competitively for a while, and mostly think that the stage is bad competitively and they dislike it. Many people in regions that have played on Mansion for a while deem that Mansion is banworthy. You don't. You believe that dynamic stages are a part of smash and Mansion's problems can be easily worked around. They don't. It all really comes down to a difference of ideals and opinions on how this game should be played, and because this was designed as a party game these opinions are going to vary a lot more. I'm just more inclined to believe that Mansion is banworthy if regions have played on it for 6+ months and deemed it so. And TOs are obviously going to follow their opinion, because they want more people to come happy, and they want more people to come in general.

As ADHD said, we've already "neutered" this game to play it to our own standards anyway (our own standards being the majority's opinion). Some people thresholds of stage interference are different, and that's fine, because some people view this game different ways. I just think there's something to be said—at something least you can't ignore—about entire regions playing on stages for months and then banning them.

Jack Kieser

Smash Champion
Well then, if the player base is going to be full of scrubs, and the BBR is full of scrubby top players (lol at everyone not voting for the stage list; why you guys are in charge, I'll never understand), then the only other option is to appeal to the nationals TOs. If nationals can pull some dedicated sponsorships and get good enough prize pots, then they'll have no trouble pulling good numbers of players, regardless of what stage lists they run. I guarantee you, if the prize is big enough, the players will deal with Norfair and PS2. Except EC, but no one should care about those scrubs anyway.

Either that, or a drastic restructuring of the BBR to include only TOs, with no top players allowed to make votes.

P.S.: As long as the community is acting in a self-destructive manner, people like me and BPC are going to post.

Life

Smash Hero
So... the solution is for you and BPC to become national-level TO's?.... that would be fun to watch. (No sarcasm, just thinking aloud)

ADHD

Smash Hero
LOL at MW being called good, and EC as scrubs.

Apex and Pound 4 stagelists are beautiful. Simply perfect!

All of you can't prove your stagelist is competitively better either, so don't pull **** out on me. It's all been theory.

Jack Kieser

Smash Champion
ADHD, the difference is that we don't HAVE to prove anything... YOU DO. The null position doesn't HAVE to be proven. You have to prove that a stage should be banned; we don't have to prove that a stage should be legal!

This just shows how little you actually know about the competitive realm. Anyone who actually knows how competition works knows this. (Honestly, anyone with a thinking mind knows this, too; I wish the Debate Hall guys would come in here and pwn you for your foolish sentiments on debate and discourse.)

NNID
Budget_Player
It's probably just a difference of opinions, like we're seeing in this thread.
Not seeing how "a stage is banworthy or not" is an opinion. It's hardly subjective.

But how much? What has changed? Has it changed to the point where months/a year of playing on X stages and regions deciding to ban those stages is invalid?

IIRC, Luigi's was banned because of the light circle, cave of live, and it being a really strong CP for some characters—"too" strong in the eyes of some people. I know MW:E and Texas had this stage on their list for a while up until some point in 09, and when it was banned there was general dislike for it. Maybe it wasn't 100% warranted, but I'm more inclined to believe the opinions of people who'd been playing on the stage for months to say if it's banworthy or not, because they must have banned it for a reason.
Got me there. Then again, I'm not a fan of LM either.

Yes, but does the pattern remove from the strength of the hazards that some people see? I'm also pretty sure people have known there was some pattern beforehand, but in any case I doubt it was, "PTAD is random let's ban it," and more of, "PTAD has a bunch of odd features including the cars that punish too hard." It may not necessarily be true, but eh see above.
The hazards are not an issue! Those cars could OHKO for all I care-as long as there's a reasonably large safe zone, reasonably large periods of time where they are not active, and a fair warning beforehand, why aren't players getting out and staying out of the way?

When was this proven?
When was it disproven? Or rather, why do educated people hold the walkoff and hole for issues? There's no real reason that's been presented to believe so, beyond Pika and DDD's CGs, both of which are extremely conditional. And the hole makes no sense with a LGL.

The only real problem I've seen with PS2 is Marth's Dancing blade glitch where he dies on one of the transformations, otherwise this stage should really be legal everywhere lol.
Glad we agree on this. "But it ****s with my physics" is a terrible, TERRIBLE excuse to ban a stage. And whenever someone says "but X is too strong there" I want to punch them because it's not only unproven, it's also very unlikely true (it's a decent MK counterpick, but he has like 5 better ones in the MLG list lol).

The issue here is that Brawl wasn't designed to be a competitive fighting game. It was designed to be a party game, and the community made it into a (you could say makeshift) fighting game, so obviously some rules had to be tweaked.

So since our game and thus our community isn't the same as a traditional fighting game, most people don't hold the same standard viewpoints as people from other fighting games. You can quote Sirlin all you want and call people scrubs on the forums for not viewing things a certain way, but the thing is people in this community don't care.
Now here's the beef part of your post.

Name me one non-stage thing we have actually banned in brawl. ONE. We almost banned metaknight. But except that, there's literally only stages on the list of "things we have banned". And even then, the list is comprised almost exclusively of crazy, over-the-top stages-the kind of stages that you would include if, say, you were forced to meet a quota for the casual players who love the series. Again, there aren't many (okay, almost no) stages that are both blatantly unfair and boring as hell. Most of the stages we ban (75m, Mario bros, Big Blue, spear pillar) all fit into the casual niche (there are some exceptions, like Skyworld, which everyone hates; distant planet, which is arguable; the walkoff stages). And these are the ONLY things we ban!

Now imagine this scenario if you will. The dev team really wants to make a solid competitive platformer/fighter game. However, nintendo is forcing them to make a casual game. They can't make their intention obvious, and they need to fill a quota as far as "things for casual players" go. This seem at all realistic?

Who's to say that Brawl wasn't designed as a competitive fighter (albeit in secret, and with elements you had to remove)? Mess with a few settings and you have a solid competitive fighter right there. In fact, a ridiculously good competitive fighter! And not just that, but one that you could potentially make competitive in multiple ways (time mode is just as good; coin mode was completely ignored but could work; ISP could work; hell, team battles on all kinds of ridiculous stages could work!).

On the other hand, who's to say, for example, that Blazblue or Guilty Gear were intended to be solid competitive fighters? Lord knows that Blazblue didn't stick around too long (at least, the first one). They're over-the-top, crazy, and at times very random. They hold a similar position to brawl, IMO-they could have been designed as legitimate competitive fighters, or they could've been designed as an insane party game, or as both. 'Cept that they lack the different modes, and items, and stages, obviously.

Regions are against certain stages obviously because they've played on them, experienced them competitively for a while, and mostly think that the stage is bad competitively and they dislike it. Many people in regions that have played on Mansion for a while deem that Mansion is banworthy. You don't. You believe that dynamic stages are a part of smash and Mansion's problems can be easily worked around. They don't. It all really comes down to a difference of ideals and opinions on how this game should be played, and because this was designed as a party game these opinions are going to vary a lot more. I'm just more inclined to believe that Mansion is banworthy if regions have played on it for 6+ months and deemed it so. And TOs are obviously going to follow their opinion, because they want more people to come happy, and they want more people to come in general.
Dynamic stages are a part of smash though! It's right there! There are only a miniscule number of static stages, and if you want to go and get rid of ALL of the dynamic stages, or at least mitigate the effect they have on the game, why are you playing brawl? Why aren't you playing a game with no stage? It's like ensuring that every match in your Soul Calibur tournament is played in a caged-in stage–outright stupid; some characters NEED to be able to ring out to be good characters, plus caged-in stages are not the norm-there is no norm.

As ADHD said, we've already "neutered" this game to play it to our own standards anyway (our own standards being the majority's opinion). Some people thresholds of stage interference are different, and that's fine, because some people view this game different ways. I just think there's something to be said—at something least you can't ignore—about entire regions playing on stages for months and then banning them.
We haven't. We have not neutered this game beyond stages. Stages are the only area where we are truly scrubs (well, that and trying new modes of play, I suppose). Where we obviously and very clearly have a mindset extremely against the game itself. Where we decide, "**** what the designers think, we're doing this". It's not changing a setting, it's not choosing a mode, it's flat-out banning a massive part of the game. I could understand this if the game said "here's the default, have fun" and pointed us to FD, Battlefield, and Smashville. But it doesn't. It never has, not throughout the whole series. You have to beat 51 events to unlock FD in melee. In 64, there are only two stages which is even remotely static that you can select without a gameshark, one of which has to be banned due to cloud camping.

But when you decide that stages being dynamic is a bad thing, you're not only going against the game itself, you're also limiting a competitive aspect of the game. When you say "PvP is the only part of the game that matters", you should really go play a totally different game. If you look at the game and say that the designers intended to make a party game, how are you gonna back this up? You don't know. You sure as hell can't trust the developers' words on this, not nintendo's. There's no real justification to completely throw designer intent out the window. You immediately throw stated/guessed intent out the window, but actual designer intent as implied within the game itself should never be ignored-if you have to in order to play the game competitively, then you should play a different game competitively. But hey, newsflash-we don't! Sirlin's principles still apply.

NNID
Budget_Player
Well then, if the player base is going to be full of scrubs, and the BBR is full of scrubby top players (lol at everyone not voting for the stage list; why you guys are in charge, I'll never understand), then the only other option is to appeal to the nationals TOs. If nationals can pull some dedicated sponsorships and get good enough prize pots, then they'll have no trouble pulling good numbers of players, regardless of what stage lists they run. I guarantee you, if the prize is big enough, the players will deal with Norfair and PS2. Except EC, but no one should care about those scrubs anyway.

Either that, or a drastic restructuring of the BBR to include only TOs, with no top players allowed to make votes.

P.S.: As long as the community is acting in a self-destructive manner, people like me and BPC are going to post.
I was planning on making a write-up to them about the stagelist, but we're hardly good people to ask about this mostly because of the name we've made for ourselves.

I support the second paragraph completely. And the third.

So... the solution is for you and BPC to become national-level TO's?.... that would be fun to watch. (No sarcasm, just thinking aloud)
One can dream...

LOL at MW being called good, and EC as scrubs.

Apex and Pound 4 stagelists are beautiful. Simply perfect!

All of you can't prove your stagelist is competitively better either, so don't pull **** out on me. It's all been theory.
APEX and Pound 4 stagelists are retardedly scrubby. They ban what, 5-10 stages that have no justification for being banned?
We're aware that when the two regions meet, EC wins. EC has better players. Doesn't mean they aren't scrubby as ****.
And finally, what Jack said. We do not have to prove a stage is not banned (unless it's been extremely firmly established that it NEEDS to be banned), you have to do the opposite.

ADHD

Smash Hero
ADHD, the difference is that we don't HAVE to prove anything... YOU DO. The null position doesn't HAVE to be proven. You have to prove that a stage should be banned; we don't have to prove that a stage should be legal!

This just shows how little you actually know about the competitive realm. Anyone who actually knows how competition works knows this. (Honestly, anyone with a thinking mind knows this, too; I wish the Debate Hall guys would come in here and pwn you for your foolish sentiments on debate and discourse.)
That's just what we need, more stupid people who are bad at the game, they're too abundant!

And you're pretty wrong. If it's controversial, you do have to explain why a stage should be legal and why the problems presented to you aren't valid (but they usually are, Green greens, anyone? Japes?).

NNID
Budget_Player
And you're pretty wrong. If it's controversial, you do have to explain why a stage should be legal and why the problems presented to you aren't valid (but they usually are, Green greens, anyone? Japes?).
Nope. Stages are by default legal. You have to show that they're banned. The other way around (banned until proven legal) makes no sense, and if you'd like to propose a precedent for stage legality beyond that dichotomy, be my guest. Just because a stage is "controversial" does not mean that we have to show why it doesn't belong banned (and we do anyways! Have you seen the posts about PS2? Norfair? PTAD? We're doing all we can to show why stages shouldn't be banned, even though we reasonably shouldn't need to!), it just means that you might be right when you say "we need to ban this" and that it warrants more investigation and top level playtesting. When was the last time you saw PTAD in a national stagelist? Or Green Greens outside of MLG, where it was not abused (granted, this isn't great proof for the stage being a fine legal stage due to the other issues at MLG, but it at least did not show the stage getting ***** for upsets). Or Norfair outside of MLG (see green greens)? Or any number of other stages that never got a fair shake at the highest possible level of play?

I'd say it's a **** shame really that EC (specifically NJ/NY area) is so closed-minded. It's obvious that EC has an extremely high concentration of pro players. If we could get them to sign in on the whole "don't ban unless you absolutely have to" train for stages, and get them testing **** like norfair, PTAD, and Green Greens, what then?

BBQTV

Smash Master
it's innocent until proven guilty and i use PTAD as a counterpick

ADHD

Smash Hero
Nope. Stages are by default legal. You have to show that they're banned. The other way around (banned until proven legal) makes no sense, and if you'd like to propose a precedent for stage legality beyond that dichotomy, be my guest. Just because a stage is "controversial" does not mean that we have to show why it doesn't belong banned (and we do anyways! Have you seen the posts about PS2? Norfair? PTAD? We're doing all we can to show why stages shouldn't be banned, even though we reasonably shouldn't need to!), it just means that you might be right when you say "we need to ban this" and that it warrants more investigation and top level playtesting. When was the last time you saw PTAD in a national stagelist? Or Green Greens outside of MLG, where it was not abused (granted, this isn't great proof for the stage being a fine legal stage due to the other issues at MLG, but it at least did not show the stage getting ***** for upsets). Or Norfair outside of MLG (see green greens)? Or any number of other stages that never got a fair shake at the highest possible level of play?

I'd say it's a **** shame really that EC (specifically NJ/NY area) is so closed-minded. It's obvious that EC has an extremely high concentration of pro players. If we could get them to sign in on the whole "don't ban unless you absolutely have to" train for stages, and get them testing **** like norfair, PTAD, and Green Greens, what then?
It's easy to stand back and go, "nope! not a good reason" which you have been doing. You never provide anything further. You specifically.

Why do we have so many good players? Because we don't twiddle our thumbs playing on stages that shouldn't be legal, and instead learn our characters in-and-out and how to deal with moves and strategies on neutrals and non-terribly-interactive stages.

NNID
Budget_Player
It's easy to stand back and go, "nope! not a good reason" which you have been doing. You never provide anything further. You specifically.
And if it's even remotely believable, then it really is not a good enough reason. Run me your reasoning on banning PTAD and Norfair by me again (in cliff notes form if you are too lazy)?

Why do we have so many good players? Because we don't twiddle our thumbs playing on stages that shouldn't be legal, and instead learn our characters in-and-out and how to deal with moves and strategies on neutrals and non-terribly-interactive stages.
Your proposed correlation is ****ing bull**** and that's been shown several times.

Life

Smash Hero
Coasts have more people. So they have more people that play and therefore will also have the most advanced players. Stages have nothing to do with it.

AvaricePanda

Smash Lord
i was about to say inb4 ADHD vs. BPC/JK again but I'm too late lol.

@ BPC though

About PTAD, you say there's warnings for all of the hazards and there's safe zones you can use, which is fine. The problem is that many people want the stage element of a player vs player to be not nearly as present as it is on PTAD. People draw the line when strategies instead of being punishing X players habits and sometimes stage positioning to get an edge, they become using the stage solely to get an edge, and that's part of the reason some people feel PTAD is bad. Alone, the hazards are avoidable, together they make the stage iffy, however stage zoning suddenly gets ampified by 2 or 3 times and it can arguably make the PvP element take a backseat.

About YI:M, apparently from what DMG said that those things + other things have been proven to be an issue. DDD can only CG like 7 characters up the slope while Pikachu can CG like everyone from low-mid percents. I'll take his word for it that the stage has quite a few problems.

you said something about BlazBlue and GG possibly being designed as insane party games which i found kinda silly

The way you talk about how the community bans stages makes it sound like we just go, "oh let's all play on flat stages yay FD." All of the stages that are banned anywhere are banned because of legitimate concerns, or the region already thought they were banworthy after playing on them for a while. It's not really, "oh I don't want to play on a dynamic stage let's not pick Green Greens," but moreso that, "Green Greens has serious problems, let's not play on it."

I don't think anyone actually goes around saying, "boo dynamic stages," it's just that people find faults in these stages and they get banned. You can argue it's not always true but I don't see why you can argue, "you're all scrubs make these stages legal you can adapt," (also I feel like every argument between you and ADHD about a stage being legal boils down to "you aren't good enough you got outplayed it's not the stages fault" but w.e). But really, I can't think of any stages that have been banned that
a) Haven't had any legitimate concerns or reasons for the ban, or
b) Haven't been played in tournament for a while previously

Yes, smash is unique in that we have a stage element, but that doesn't necessarily mean a stage element is good. I'm not saying a stage element is bad by any means, but you often say, "This is Smash, not Street Fighter, play on these stages," implying that we should use the stages because they're unique and implying it's good for the game. A match on PTAD—a match with a huge stage element—isn't inherently good because it's unique to this game, nor is it inherently bad because a huge stage element is present in other games.

This is where disagreement comes from.

And just like stages, items are a unique part of Smash that aren't present in any fighter. Yes, there are valid concerns and issues with them (and I personally agree with turning them off), but it's not like a good competitive items scene can't exist. I could quote you and change words and say

"Scrubs who support things like turning items off, get on the right level for playing Brawl. No johns, learn how to use them, stop crying because you need to adapt while playing. This is Brawl, not SFIV"

and imply that we should use this different game engine and not try to make our game like other traditional fighters, and imply this different game engine is inherently good.

And of course, there's a ton of different game modes.

Point is, nothing is "correct" simply because it's part of the game, and just because it's part of the game doesn't make it automatically good.

/redundant post

NNID
Budget_Player
i was about to say inb4 ADHD vs. BPC/JK again but I'm too late lol.

@ BPC though

About PTAD, you say there's warnings for all of the hazards and there's safe zones you can use, which is fine. The problem is that many people want the stage element of a player vs player to be not nearly as present as it is on PTAD. People draw the line when strategies instead of being punishing X players habits and sometimes stage positioning to get an edge, they become using the stage solely to get an edge, and that's part of the reason some people feel PTAD is bad. Alone, the hazards are avoidable, together they make the stage iffy, however stage zoning suddenly gets ampified by 2 or 3 times and it can arguably make the PvP element take a backseat.
But again, this is hardly an issue. The players are at odds with the game; in this case, it's like wanting chess to center exclusively around the placement of certain key pieces, as opposed to board position as a whole. We bow to them because they are the majority... but they're wrong, very wrong, and we should take it into our heads, as players of brawl, to change their minds.
A very clear part of brawl is how down the spectrum, things like adaptability and stage zoning get more and more pronouncedly important, whereas pure PvP gets less important. FD is one end of the spectrum, and (from the "debatable" stages) Norfair, PTAD, and the like on the other. Stage zoning is ridiculously important on those stages, and PvP takes backse-oh wait no it doesn't. PvP never stops being important, on any legal stage. It takes a backseat during particular transformations and events on said "PvS" stages. But even then you can jockey for stage position. Then it's back to the one straight small platform that you fight on.
You can argue PvP > PvS all you want, but no stage really puts more weight on PvS than on PvP (except stages that are, well, ridiculous and banned, like Warioware, Mario Bros, and Rumble Falls, but they are banned for other reasons (okay, Mario Bros is banned for EXACTLY that reason, and I'd argue against it being banned until we find a better reason :V (not really))).

About YI:M, apparently from what DMG said that those things + other things have been proven to be an issue. DDD can only CG like 7 characters up the slope while Pikachu can CG like everyone from low-mid percents. I'll take his word for it that the stage has quite a few problems.
...that haven't been proven in tournaments. Have they? Taking his word for it makes us investigate the stage further.

you said something about BlazBlue and GG possibly being designed as insane party games which i found kinda silly
Well, who knows? :V It is kinda silly, but there's really no reason why brawl couldn't have been designed as a frankeinsteinesque mutated crossbreed. :3

The way you talk about how the community bans stages makes it sound like we just go, "oh let's all play on flat stages yay FD." All of the stages that are banned anywhere are banned because of legitimate concerns, or the region already thought they were banworthy after playing on them for a while. It's not really, "oh I don't want to play on a dynamic stage let's not pick Green Greens," but moreso that, "Green Greens has serious problems, let's not play on it."
But how long did they wait before doing this? Man, EC banned norfair after Spammerer abused pound on the ledges, and that's just the most obvious case of "lol tat's dumb ban now plz", which I will hereby dub "meta knight syndrome".

I don't think anyone actually goes around saying, "boo dynamic stages," it's just that people find faults in these stages and they get banned. You can argue it's not always true but I don't see why you can argue, "you're all scrubs make these stages legal you can adapt," (also I feel like every argument between you and ADHD about a stage being legal boils down to "you aren't good enough you got outplayed it's not the stages fault" but w.e). But really, I can't think of any stages that have been banned that

Yes, smash is unique in that we have a stage element, but that doesn't necessarily mean a stage element is good. I'm not saying a stage element is bad by any means, but you often say, "This is Smash, not Street Fighter, play on these stages," implying that we should use the stages because they're unique and implying it's good for the game. A match on PTAD—a match with a huge stage element—isn't inherently good because it's unique to this game, nor is it inherently bad because a huge stage element is present in other games.

This is where disagreement comes from.

And just like stages, items are a unique part of Smash that aren't present in any fighter. Yes, there are valid concerns and issues with them (and I personally agree with turning them off), but it's not like a good competitive items scene can't exist. I could quote you and change words and say

"Scrubs who support things like turning items off, get on the right level for playing Brawl. No johns, learn how to use them, stop crying because you need to adapt while playing. This is Brawl, not SFIV"

and imply that we should use this different game engine and not try to make our game like other traditional fighters, and imply this different game engine is inherently good.

And of course, there's a ton of different game modes.

Point is, nothing is "correct" simply because it's part of the game, and just because it's part of the game doesn't make it automatically good.

/redundant post
Will do the rest of this when I get back from movie night. I'm off

Tesh

Smash Hero
what is marths DB glitch on ps2?
If you use dancing blade in the direction a treadmill is moving you, you can kill yourself accidentally. Same thing happens sometimes if you use dancing blade against inhale or gale boomerang.

As for YI:M, I thought the main reason people cited for walkoffs being bad was walkoff camping, not CG kills off the side (which is less of an issue on this stage). You can't really camp the edges on this stage, the slopes aren't going to help you unless you are lower than your opponent.

Why bother citing planking as an issue here, when its already an issue on every ledge with MK. Who cares if we turn good planking into great planking. If you have an LGL, its no big deal. If you don't have an LGL its a problem everywhere anyway.

Whats wrong with this "cave of immortality"? I have yet to see anyone survive past 200 on yoshi's island without teching repeatedly. The ceilings are easily destroyed and you can still kill people off the sides if you get them into the air first. If you DI down into the slope and fail to tech, you keep sliding and die anyway.

What is this "stuff mk can abuse"? How do you camp under people on slopes? You mean this stage promotes being closer to the center rather than edge camping?

Why are you saying you "could" list the problems? If you think people are too entrenched in their beliefs to listen to your opinion, why do you post anything at all in this thread? So why not just list the issues you are citing. I'd be willing to listen.

Jack Kieser

Smash Champion
Ok, first of all, you do that, too. I don't know how many times, and in how many threads, people (especially BPC) have given **** good COMPETITIVE reasons that stages like Norfair are totally fair and playable, and you, specifically, have gone "Nope! Not a good reason". So, try not to be so hypocritical next time.

Second of all... Yeah, it's kind of the right of the people from the affirmative position to do that. Remember, buddy: the person or party making the "ontologically positive claim" (in this case, YOU) is the one with the burden of proof. Since every stage is defaulted to "on" or "legal", it's YOUR job to prove them competitively invalid, and it's our right, as people needing to be swayed, to set up the logically valid rules and criteria for proof.

Maybe if you spent more time educating yourself on the conventions of debate, instead of spending it all playing Meta Knights on FD and SV, you'd know that.

Actually, I'd argue that we DON'T have very many good players. If they can't handle the complexities of the stage list, they aren't good Brawl players. They may be good at some franken-game that you've all cobbled together, but certainly not at Brawl.

You know, since Brawl requires you to know your **** about stages.

AvaricePanda

Smash Lord
To be more specific, can you name the stages that aren't often legal you think should be?

as of now, I think that
Legal:
Norfair
Japes
PS2
Pictochat

and should remain banned:
Mansion (probably)
PTAD (probably)
Distant Planet
YI:M
Green Greens

And to be fair, it doesn't take long to learn how to play on a stage and adapt to it, especially if you're good. It took me like all of 2 days to get really comfortable with Norfair and I'm by no means a top level player. Most people don't have issues with stages because they don't know how to play on them but rather because they think they actually have issues.

It's unfair to assume, "you're bad and just don't know how to play on this stage," especially when high level players know what actually works at high levels of play and what's just bad theorycraft that only works on paper.

Jack Kieser

Smash Champion
Well, since the BBR is supposed to be comprised of top players, I guess that means that the "top players" are ok with the very stages we've been arguing about, or at least ok enough not to be able to vote them down.

I know the BBR can't force EC/ADHD/the conservative players to care, but I really don't see how they have a legit argument now, outside of "waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaahhhhhhh! *cry cry* >_<" Even in the most current metagame, these "unfair stages" are plenty fair.

Especially considering their stance on the starter stages (not too shabby, but FD should be farther down the list), this is probably one of the most logical stage lists I've seen. ...of course, I'm still philosophically against the counterpick system, so let's see if we can't get that system fixed by v4.0, shall we?

NNID
Budget_Player
Norfair and PTAD. Distant Planet. YI(M). Onett. Say that there are "legitimate reasons" all you want, they just aren't good enough to ban those stages. And in some cases I wonder wtf the E****s are smoking.

Actually, it is inherently good. It forces both players to know more. It raises the bar (if only slightly) of a very low-curve game. This is almost always good in a competitive game.

Big difference. Tell me where the "turn stage X off" switch is. The designers literally put the option "remove items from the game" into the game itself. There's no artificial, game-unknown rule about this, it's just simply "we turn items off in-game". That's fine. It's like choosing stock above time, or going with 3 matches with 2 sets each in SSF4 instead of one match with 5 sets each-it's an in-game setting, not an issue.

/redundant post
Just because it's part of the game means it is part of the game and should be at respected. We didn't ban MK because... We didn't ban FD because... We banned Pictochat in EC because...

To be more specific, can you name the stages that aren't often legal you think should be?

as of now, I think that
Legal:
Norfair
Japes
PS2
Pictochat

and should remain banned:
Mansion (probably)
PTAD (probably)
Distant Planet
YI:M
Green Greens
Everything you think should be legal, plus PTAD, YI(M), Green Greens, and Onett. And the others in that list there need to be looked at closer

And to be fair, it doesn't take long to learn how to play on a stage and adapt to it, especially if you're good. It took me like all of 2 days to get really comfortable with Norfair and I'm by no means a top level player. Most people don't have issues with stages because they don't know how to play on them but rather because they think they actually have issues.
But these issues... why aren't we seeing them? Also, did you see that Atomsk vs. ADHD match on norfair? To refresh your memory...
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VB0bGWV9iA4&feature=related
Neither player had a clue how to play the stage. Both of them got hurt pretty hard by it. Each died to hazards once.

It's unfair to assume, "you're bad and just don't know how to play on this stage," especially when high level players know what actually works at high levels of play and what's just bad theorycraft that only works on paper.
I dunno.

Well, guys, stage list v3.0 is out. Looks like the liberals win. ^_-
inb4bawwstorm-owait too late

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom