• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

[Official SSB4 Discussion] --- Nintendo announces 2 new Smash games!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Thrillhouse-vh.

Smash Hero
But Disney would have to go out of their way to ask for Sora, do you honestly see that happening? Square had to come and get approval (which took a lot of work before development) to get Disney to agree.

Thirdkoopa

Administrator
Administrator
Writing Team
Somewhere on Discord while working on something
Why does everyone like the idea of a chocabo?
It's not chocobo: It's chocobo with a Rocket Slime (Dragon Quest) Riding on it - Square Enix's two biggest franchises represented in one Playable Character (Remember Enix was the original company that made DQ And Square made FF - Compromise)

While he's the most popular FF Protaginist, He's a sony character and only has had a small fanservice cameo, as opposed to two mascots of two whole gigantic RPG Series teaming up (Black Mage & Chocobo)

Has only had two and not even main at that portable games with nintendo...The chocobo spin-offs have had more games (Six to be exact) Than he has. Oh; and of course not the biggest franchise. It'd be like giving Sega that monkey from Monkey Ball.

...Yeah, I know about snake but he got in the lucky way.

Oh, and to add onto that, Sora has royalty fee's far bigger than any of the other characters considering he's also owned by disney.

Representing Square Enix as a whole? As much as I like the game and character myself, that'd be a rather bad idea.

I'm really disappointed that they didn't try to put Balloon Fighter back in the game. He was programed for Melee and was in its Beta, but nowhere in Brawl? Lame. I would love to see that, Balloon Fight was one of the first games I was genuinely addicted to as a kid.
I'm with you there. I can understand not being in melee (he didn't agree wit the physics very well, if he were to utilize his balloons fully) but Brawl seemed tailor fit for him, it was floaty and slower-paced, exactly what he needed ot be playable.

Also, Sora would nto represent Square well at all, he probably has more haters than fans (or at least the same amount) and those fanboys are annoying as hell.

@TreKoops

The Money from MonkeyBall is AiAi :)

Kholdstare

Nightmare Weaver
Geno was in only one Mario game that was developed by Square Enix. This does not make Geno the best representative of the whole Square Enix company nor the whole Mario franchise.

Geno is not the mascot of Square Enix. Geno is not in any Final Fantasy games. Geno is not in any Dragon Quest games. Geno is not in any Kingdom Hearts games. Geno is not in any Chrono games. Geno is not in any Mana games. Geno is not in any Star Ocean games. Geno does not even have his own game series.

Geno is not a recurring Mario character. Geno is not in any Super Mario games. Geno is not in any Paper Mario games. Geno is not in any Mario Kart games. Geno is not in any Mario Tennis games. Geno is not in any Mario Golf games. Geno is not in any Mario Party games. Geno is not in any Mario Baseball games. Geno is not in any Mario Strikers games. Geno is not even important in the first Mario & Luigi game, let alone the whole series.

Geno is not a mascot at all. He is a footnote. Only the Geno fanboys think he's the most important character in all of Square Enix history and all of Mario history. Square Enix and Nintendo obviously don't think Geno is that important to play basketball with Mario and Final Fantasy characters in Mario Hoops 3-on-3. If both Square Enix and Nintendo don't think Geno is important enough to be playable in a Mario spin-off game with Mario and Final Fantasy characters, he's obviously not important enough to be playable in a Smash game.

DaButcher

Smash Cadet
Geno was in only one Mario game that was developed by Square Enix. This does not make Geno the best representative of the whole Square Enix company nor the whole Mario franchise.

Geno is not the mascot of Square Enix. Geno is not in any Final Fantasy games. Geno is not in any Dragon Quest games. Geno is not in any Kingdom Hearts games. Geno is not in any Chrono games. Geno is not in any Mana games. Geno is not in any Star Ocean games. Geno does not even have his own game series.

Geno is not a recurring Mario character. Geno is not in any Super Mario games. Geno is not in any Paper Mario games. Geno is not in any Mario Kart games. Geno is not in any Mario Tennis games. Geno is not in any Mario Golf games. Geno is not in any Mario Party games. Geno is not in any Mario Baseball games. Geno is not in any Mario Strikers games. Geno is not even important in the first Mario & Luigi game, let alone the whole series.

Geno is not a mascot at all. He is a footnote. Only the Geno fanboys think he's the most important character in all of Square Enix history and all of Mario history. Square Enix and Nintendo obviously don't think Geno is that important to play basketball with Mario and Final Fantasy characters in Mario Hoops 3-on-3. If both Square Enix and Nintendo don't think Geno is important enough to be playable in a Mario spin-off game with Mario and Final Fantasy characters, he's obviously not important enough to be playable in a Smash game.
We should quote this whenever anyone says "Geno". This is wonderful. Thank you Kholdstare. I'm not even sure how Geno was even considered for Brawl by the fans in the first place.

Clownbot

Smash Lord
@Hemightbegiant: You can't determine what idea would be better than another. That's all a matter of opinion.

Fatmanonice

Banned via Warnings
NNID
Fatmanonice
Regardless of chances or not, Geno is still pretty much a better idea than just about every character brought up in this thread.
I agree but only because I'm freakishly biased with him being my favorite video game character for the past 13 years. :laugh: At this point, I'm kind of hoping Geno becomes the next Sonic. Basically, Nintendo become very aware of how much people wanted Sonic after the EGM April Fools day prank and Geno has had a lot of good internet buzz since Brawl was released. Aside from Shadow, he's had the most ALTs made by seperate users than any other character and he now has two playable versions in the works. People are going out of their way to put him in the game in some form so I hope someone important at Nintendo takes notice.

Thrillhouse-vh.

Smash Hero
Technically, Squenix has Intellectual Property rights over Geno, but he's a Mario character. It's a similar situation to how SEGA owns Toejam & Earl but can't use their characters without their creator's approval, which is why they haven't appeared in the Sega All_stars games (they were CONSIDERED for every game, one creator said yes, the other refused. That happened every god **** time. That guy is such a ****.) I hope for Geno and/or Mallow to appear only for the fact that I grew up playing Super Mario RPG, which is better than most individual Final Fantasy and Dragon Quest games made, losing only to FF IV, FF VI, and DQ VII.

Yes it's my opinion when I say it's "better" than something else, but that bias is implied from the start so I don't feel the need to point it out.

Arcadenik

Smash Legend
NNID
Arcadenik

LOL I remember this post. I was the one who made that post in the first place. Glad to see this post being put to good use.

@ hemightbegiant

It is your opinion that Geno deserves to be in Smash. If you may, look at the bolded part of the quote above. The fact still stands, Geno will misrepresent both the SquareEnix company and the Mario franchise. The best option to properly represent SquareEnix would be adding Chocobo & Slime (Slime riding on Chocobo as one character) because Final Fantasy (Chocobo) and Dragon Quest (Slime) are two of SquareEnix's biggest franchises and it would represent the partnership between SquareSoft (Chocobo) and Enix (Slime).

Wizzerd

Smash Ace

You need to come in here more often, Khold. :bee:

artifact

Smash Cadet
Oh and i had a few more ideas for future characters, (yes i know, most are unlikely, there just ideas)

#1 Spyro the Dragon
#2 Kraid (metroid)
#3 Knuckles (sonic)
#4 Grey Fox (Metal Gear)
just ideas lol

Hero Dude

Smash Journeyman
None of those will be in.

Duck Hunt Dog is more likely than them.
We have already explained why Sakurai will add characters from differant companys before he stocks up one.

Paper Mario Master

Smash Ace
Spyro.......Maybe.....

Yeah..... Strangely I want Sonic stocked up but not MGS..... my Sonic picks would be: Knuckles or Shadow. But (Insane unlikeliness) what if Skurai gave each company 2 characters? Sonic and Knuckles or Shadow, Snake and.....enlighten me please, Megaman and Zero? or Viewtiful Joe? and if we get Square...... Chocobo and.......um help....

This will happen when.....well when something crazy happens......but it could

Arcadenik

Smash Legend
NNID
Arcadenik
Sakurai does not seem like the kind of guy who is interested in adding third party characters. He is not looking for third party characters. What he is looking for is Nintendo characters. He never planned to add Snake and especially Sonic in Smash (in spite of Sonic being the #1 most wanted character ever). Snake got in simply because Kojima "practically begged" Sakurai to add him. Sonic got in because Nintendo told Sakurai to add him (after Nintendo and Sega agreed to put Sonic in Brawl, that is). Only way the third party characters like Mega Man, Pac-Man, and Chocobo & Slime would get in SSB4 is if someone "practically begged" Sakurai or if Nintendo told Sakurai to.

Thrillhouse-vh.

Smash Hero
Sakurai does not seem like the kind of guy who is interested in adding third party characters. He is not looking for third party characters. What he is looking for is Nintendo characters. He never planned to add Snake and especially Sonic in Smash (in spite of Sonic being the #1 most wanted character ever). Snake got in simply because Kojima "practically begged" Sakurai to add him. Sonic got in because Nintendo told Sakurai to add him (after Nintendo and Sega agreed to put Sonic in Brawl, that is). Only way the third party characters like Mega Man, Pac-Man, and Chocobo & Slime would get in SSB4 is if someone "practically begged" Sakurai or if Nintendo told Sakurai to.
Yes, Sakurai was friends with Kojima and asked for him back in Melee (which would have been infinitely cooler than Solid Snake in Brawl). Sakurai said it would be "pretty cool" but it was too late. When Brawl was just being developed, Kojima asked again for Solid Snake to make it, and what we got was one of the few legitimately fun things about Brawl. Sakurai even stated that he was waiting for OTHER people to approach him for non-Nintendo characters. The ONLY company to do so was SEGA, and they went to Nintendo first, not Sora, not Sakurai.

However cool it would be to see Megaman (Inafune even said in an interview that Megaman in Smash Bros "would be fun" but wasn't a major priority at any point), Pac-Man and Slime (oh fine, Chocobo can tag along if he must :p), or even Bonk (just complete the entire 16-bit era rivalry, that'd be really awesome), unless they go to him, it's not going to happen. Ever.

It's a shame Nintendo sold Rare like they did..... Sakurai even said he considered Banjo-Kazooie for Melee ;_;

It is your opinion that Geno deserves to be in Smash. If you may, look at the bolded part of the quote above.
I would like to direct you to my post that is, literally, right above you....

Yes it's my opinion when I say it's "better" than something else, but that bias is implied from the start so I don't feel the need to point it out.
Yes, 1 out of a 1,000,000,000 chance he'd make it in, but those odds stand up for ANY 3rd party. As for "Slime/Chocobo have better chances than that!", considering the stance of adding 3rd party characters in Brawl, and not to mention after the travesty that IS Brawl, I really doubt Sakurai is creative enough for the idea of Slime/Chocobo (which is one of the coolest ideas in a loooong time). But it's what I want, that is what the thread is about :/

Hero Dude

Smash Journeyman
This applys to all the characters you listed.
EXCEPT Megaman. Nobody has to beg anybody. In fact, I want a source.

Lets look at what happened before Brawl.

Sega was interested and Sonic was wanted.
Sonic is in! w00t.
Kojima was interested.
Snake is in! w00t.

Now lets look.

Capcom is interested and Megaman is wanted.
Suda 51 is interested.

Side Note: Snake got in as a favor, if I remember correctly. Thats the only reason I don't believe you.

gantrain05

Smash Master
slime is a stupid idea, how the hell does a slime ride a chocobo anyways. also who cares about enix, just because its square-enix doesn't mean everything they do has to have something from the other company in their games. i don't see any slimes in ffxii or chocobos in star ocean 4. how about we just stick to the chocobo because enix just isn't iconic enough to be very important.

Thrillhouse-vh.

Smash Hero
You know that basically everywhere but North America, Enix's popularity beat out Square basically the entire time before they merged (at very least, Dragon Quest beat out Final Fantasy). Also, Slimes are WAY cooler than Chocobos.

This applys to all the characters you listed.
EXCEPT Megaman. Nobody has to beg anybody. In fact, I want a source.

Lets look at what happened before Brawl.

Sega was interested and Sonic was wanted.
Sonic is in! w00t.
Kojima was interested.
Snake is in! w00t.

Now lets look.

Capcom is interested and Megaman is wanted.
Suda 51 is interested.

Side Note: Snake got in as a favor, if I remember correctly. Thats the only reason I don't believe you.
The favor was that he would be included after he was asked...

slime is a stupid idea, how the hell does a slime ride a chocobo anyways. also who cares about enix, just because its square-enix doesn't mean everything they do has to have something from the other company in their games. i don't see any slimes in ffxii or chocobos in star ocean 4. how about we just stick to the chocobo because enix just isn't iconic enough to be very important.
What do you mean how would he ride? he would sit on the saddle...Chocobo's are rdiging animals (basically bird camels)

You know that basically everywhere but North America, Enix's popularity beat out Square basically the entire time before they merged (at very least, Dragon Quest beat out Final Fantasy). Also, Slimes are WAY cooler than Chocobos.
Agreed.

libertyernie

Smash Ace
All the third parties should get together and make a fighting game. Capcom vs. Namco v.s Sega vs. Konami vs. Square Enix. The final boss would be Felix the Cat (he would also be playable.)

Thrillhouse-vh.

Smash Hero
Actually, they should build on that idea. Sega/Konami/Nintendo Smash-style crossover game would be awesome. Like a small contained cast, like 5 from each then a boss character. Like Mario, Link, Pikachu, Kirby, Samus with Bowser as the Boss for Nitnendo. Solid Snake, Simon Belmont, Goemon, Twinbee, Power Pro-Kun with Revolver Ocelot as the Boss for Konami. Sonic, NiGHTS, Amigo, Beat, Ulala, with Eggman as the Boss for SEGA.

Actually, that would kick ***. A lot of ***.

n88

Smash Lord
@hmbg

DK should get in before Kirby or Samus. Why does everyone underrate DK?

Clownbot

Smash Lord
Crono has a higher chance than Chocobo and Slime.

Chrono Trigger is well-known. Chrono Trigger is regarded as one of the greatest RPGs ever by many people. Crono ISN'T a generic unimportant uncared-for character (and before you tell me about Chocobo having his own game, its popularity pales entirely in comparison to CT's.)

ToiseOfChoice

Smash Ace
You know that basically everywhere but North America, Enix's popularity beat out Square basically the entire time before they merged (at very least, Dragon Quest beat out Final Fantasy).
If by "everywhere but North America" you mean "just Japan," then sure. PAL regions didn't get Dragon Quest until DQVIII in 2006 (except for a single GBC game in 1999). They started getting Final Fantasy with FFVII in 1997. The merger was in 2003. Guess which series was bigger?

Chrono Trigger is well-known. Chrono Trigger is regarded as one of the greatest RPGs ever by many people. Crono ISN'T a generic unimportant uncared-for character (and before you tell me about Chocobo having his own game, its popularity pales entirely in comparison to CT's.)
I agree that Chocobo/ Slime are Generic, but they better represent the respective franchises (They cover all of the Dragon Quest and Final Fantasy[who is as a whole is more popular than Chrono Trigger])

If by "everywhere but North America" you mean "just Japan," then sure. PAL regions didn't get Dragon Quest until DQVIII in 2006 (except for a single GBC game in 1999). They started getting Final Fantasy with FFVII in 1997. The merger was in 2003. Guess which series was bigger?
Square is definetly more popular than the Enuix half, but it is still by no means, unworthy of recognition.

Wizzerd

Smash Ace

Game quality isn't a factor. It may affect character popularity but in that case it's much easier to, y'know, measure their popularity. I find it funny that you argue Chocobo is generic when you support Toad, a character far more generic than Chocobo ever was. Chocobo exists as his own character anyway in his spinoff games. I would hardly say that Chocobo is uncared for either seeing as he keeps getting games released.

At the very least, he beats out a one-game character.

BadAxel97

Smash Apprentice
I meant to strike that part and put "Get into smash 4" it's for sure not too late to start it into something. I'll keep thinking of ways to get the word around. Any other ideas? Anyone who supports this/a SE rep: Now is our time to speak up. (I still need a slime render ._.)
How badly do you need a slime render?
Because I might be able to make you one...it would just be skin off my back.
And I'm more of the lazy types...

Arcadenik

Smash Legend
NNID
Arcadenik
Would this roster be good for SSB4? It has 50 characters (no one were removed from Brawl) and some of the most-wanted characters.

:mario2: :luigi2: :peach: :bowser2: :random: Toad
:dk2: :diddy: :random: :random: :olimar: Dixie Kong and King K. Rool
:yoshi2: :wario: :rob: :samus2: :random: Ridley
:link2: :zelda: :ganondorf: :toonlink: :random: Tingle
:pit: :random: :popo: :random: :random: Takamaru, Little Mac, and Duck Hunt Dog
:kirby2: :metaknight: :dedede: :falcon: :random: Samurai Goroh
:fox: :falco: :wolf: :random: :random: Krystal and Starfy
:pikachu2: :pt: :lucario: :jigglypuff: :mewtwo:
:marth: :ike: :roymelee: :ness2: :lucas:
:gw: :snake: :sonic: :random: :random: Mega Man and Travis Touchdown

Thrillhouse-vh.

Smash Hero
Would this roster be good for SSB4? It has 50 characters (no one were removed from Brawl) and some of the most-wanted characters.

I'm still a little shady on third parties and still am hopeful for every past character to be in, but those tiny problems aside, that's a pretty good list. If I had to say anyone that had to be on there but wasn't, I'd put in Isaac/Golden Sun rep. Missing Ryota Hayami/Wave Race and Dr. Lobe/Big Brain Academy rep :p

I would SO main Duck Hunt Dog in a heartbeat if one of his taunts was laughing at the screen.

ToiseOfChoice

Smash Ace
Square is definetly more popular than the Enuix half, but it is still by no means, unworthy of recognition.
Of course Enix should be recognized, that's part of the reason you guys are totally digging the ChocoSlime idea. But my post was in response to the claim that Enix was somehow bigger than Square (when at best, DQ is arguably bigger than FF in Japan only).

@Arcadenik: You know that's 54, right? Transformations count for reals. You don't have to add in the little icons for them though.

gantrain05

Smash Master
slimes are lamesauce, chocobos pwn all! and plus im pretty sure that after the release of ff6 and ff7 enix died lol.

Fatmanonice

Banned via Warnings
NNID
Fatmanonice
A Slime riding a Chocobo sounds more like an Assist Trophy if you ask me. If it were playable, its moveset set would probably be awkward and goofy as Hell. In a way, it would be like if Epona the horse from the Zelda games was made playable... This is one of those ideas that sounds cool at first until you start to think about it practically and then you realize you're trying too hard to convince people to support an idea (In this case, Square Enix "needing" not only a rep but one that effectively represents the whole company).

SmashChu

Banned via Warnings

Problems

Tingle: Already went over why he won't ever be in Smash. Why add a character 50% of players hate with a passion.

Duck Hunt Dog: This idea sounds boring. How could this character be fun or probably. Heck, is he even memorable enough to be a playable character.

Travis: It's questionable if we'll even have anymore third party characters in Smash. Megaman might struggle to get in. Why would Travis?

Arcadenik

Smash Legend
NNID
Arcadenik
Smashchu, really! You are questioning how memorable Duck Hunt Dog is? What country do you live in? Duck Hunt was bundled with Super Mario Bros. and the NES all over North America. Almost everyone who ever owned a NES would know Duck Hunt and they always talk about the dog whenever the topic is about Duck Hunt.

About Tingle, sure, 50% of all fans might hate him but they won't care about that when they got Ridley, Samurai Goroh, King K. Rool, and Mewtwo to play with. I find it funny that you are opposed to Tingle's inclusion because 50% of all fans hate him and yet you did not question Krystal's inclusion when 50% of all fans hate her.

I do not want Travis. But Suda 51 seemed they are interested in seeing him in Smash. So I suppose why not? I would rather have Chocobo & Slime or Pac-Man over him.

Fatman, there is a huge difference between Chocobo and Epona. Chocobo can fight. Epona can't. Chocobo appears to have arms (I know they are wings but they function as arms in Chocobo's games) that he can use to punch and grab things. Epona can't use her legs to punch and grab things. Chocobo could fight like Yoshi (he is a rideable character, too) when it comes to his A moves and could use his wings to jump high like Yoshi's double jump. When we are talking about Chocobo, I am sure we were referring to the Chocobo's Dungeon version and not the Final Fantasy version. Slime is there because while Slime cannot fight without arms, he can ride on Chocobo and provide some special moves.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom