• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

[Official SSB4 Discussion] --- Nintendo announces 2 new Smash games!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Thirdkoopa

Administrator
Administrator
Writing Team
Somewhere on Discord while working on something
So would Kirby take after the slime or Chocobo for his Kirby hat?

I could easily see the top of slime with the eyes and smile fitting on them like a beanie.
Kirby hat? Good question. To me It really depends on how Chocobo and Slime play, as for example you can't get PT's hat yet you can get all of PT's pokemon, and you can get popo but not nana.

So say, If he sucks up choc from the front then he gets the chocoabo hat, but from the back he gets the slime hat - Seems pretty fair unlike how I was biased with giving the victory theme to FF :laugh: - I need to think up some moveset wise. I was thinking that for some part, chocoabo/slime will take some moves from there protagonists (I.E. Firaga from Black Mages) Still thinking over it.

You really need to add some Dragon Quest tracks in that list. lol

Here let me suggest some tracks:

Overture - Dragon Quest
Zoma - Dragon Quest III
Monster's In The Dungeon/Tower of Death/Dark World - Dragon Quest V
Fighting Spirit - Dragon Quest VII
War Cry/Defeat The Enemy - Dragon Quest VIII
It was specifically only for final fantasy, but I'll add that for the DQ Support part of this. I guess you're the DQ Side, I'm the FF Side, and Toise just generally came up with this idea :laugh:

Now - I just wonder what the stage will be. I really can't think of anything that isn't a stolen idea or from my bias. - Any suggestions for Choc/Slime's stage?

Starphoenix

How Long Have I Been Asleep?
NNID
GalaxyPhoenix
3DS FC
2122-6914-9465
Kirby hat? Good question. To me It really depends on how Chocobo and Slime play, as for example you can't get PT's hat yet you can get all of PT's pokemon, and you can get popo but not nana.

So say, If he sucks up choc from the front then he gets the chocoabo hat, but from the back he gets the slime hat - Seems pretty fair unlike how I was biased with giving the victory theme to FF :laugh: - I need to think up some moveset wise. I was thinking that for some part, chocoabo/slime will take some moves from there protagonists (I.E. Firaga from Black Mages) Still thinking over it.

It was specifically only for final fantasy, but I'll add that for the DQ Support part of this. I guess you're the DQ Side, I'm the FF Side, and Toise just generally came up with this idea :laugh:

Now - I just wonder what the stage will be. I really can't think of anything that isn't a stolen idea or from my bias. - Any suggestions for Choc/Slime's stage?
Well, considering both games generally have some sort of field or woods stage the best avenue to go with is having a stage utilizing one of those settings. The idea is similar to how Castle Siege represents the main setting of the various Fire Emblem locales.

It could be elaborate and detailed. Such as using trees for platforms, having wind blow the grass, maybe a brook and some random Final Fantasy or Dragon Quest creatures occasionally in the background. The stage could be given a random name like "Evergreen Plains".

"Slime and Chocobo".

Thirdkoopa

Administrator
Administrator
Writing Team
Well, considering both games generally have some sort of field or woods stage the best avenue to go with is having a stage utilizing one of those settings. The idea is similar to how Castle Siege represents the main setting of the various Fire Emblem locales.

It could be elaborate and detailed. Such as using trees for platforms, having wind blow the grass, maybe a brook and some random Final Fantasy or Dragon Quest creatures occasionally in the background. The stage could be given a random name like "Evergreen Plains".
Interesting; I'm thinking it could be green but have a kinda wattery backround at the very end of it, along with enemies attacking at random. Maybe It could also change to nighttime to fit more with certain songs (One Winged Angel on Plains!) I'm also thinking it could be a decently sized (Similar to castle siege) Field. Mainly sized vertically but not horizontally; Think "Temple but flat and just one main platform base"

I think that'd fit the series perfectly fine considering the plains are usually rather big...Only real questions now are what would the Assist Trophy be along with the icon used for the representation of SE As a whole.

Starphoenix

NNID
GalaxyPhoenix
3DS FC
2122-6914-9465
Interesting; I'm thinking it could be green but have a kinda wattery backround at the very end of it, along with enemies attacking at random. Maybe It could also change to nighttime to fit more with certain songs (One Winged Angel on Plains!) I'm also thinking it could be a decently sized (Similar to castle siege) Field. Mainly sized vertically but not horizontally; Think "Temple but flat and just one main platform base"

I think that'd fit the series perfectly fine considering the plains are usually rather big...Only real questions now are what would the Assist Trophy be along with the icon used for the representation of SE As a whole.
Without a doubt the assist trophy should be a black mage. I am partial to Dragon Quest, but even I admit that he is deserving of cameo.

As for an icon, possibly a sword or crystal.

mastromjm

Smash Cadet
With the constructive criticism of the community, I have retooled my *WISHLIST* for the characters in the next Super Smash Bros.

DEFAULT: Mario, Luigi, Peach, Bowser, Donkey Kong, King K. Rool, Yoshi, Wario, Zelda/Sheik, Link, Ganondorf, Kirby, King Dedede, Pikachu, Pokemon Trainer, Ike, Samus/Zero Suit Samus, Ness, Captain Falcon, Fox, Krystal, Olimar, Little Mac, Pit, Ice Climbers
UNLOCKABLE: Bowser Jr./Shadow Mario, Geno, R.O.B., Diddy Kong, Kamek, Toon Link, Tingle, Meta Knight, Mewtwo, Jigglypuff, Plusle and Minun, Marth, Lyn, Ridley, Lucas, Samurai Goroh, Falco, Wolf, Mr. Game and Watch, Travis Touchdown, Mega Man, Sonic, Snake, Pac-Man

Luigi stays default; I know it's a tradition for Luigi and Jiggs but I feel as though he gets the shaft a lot. Of course, this is just a wishlist and I think the directors of the next game will make him unlockable again.
Sonic and Snake now unlockable; I thought it would be better for them to be default as the new third parties can be unlockable, but I rethought it and they should be unlockable.
The deal with Diddy, Ike, PT, Lucas, Climbers; I kept Diddy unlockable; King K. Rool is a newcomer and I want to have a newcomer from DK franchise but I don't want all three default like Kirby. Ness now default, Lucas now unlockable. Pit is now default, so are Ike, Pokemon Trainer, and Ice Climbers.

It was only a wishlist.

Thirdkoopa

Administrator
Administrator
Writing Team
Without a doubt the assist trophy should be a black mage. I am partial to Dragon Quest, but even I admit that he is deserving of cameo.

As for an icon, possibly a sword or crystal.
Alright, so we have:
Character: Chocoabo And Slime
Stage: Evergreen Plains
Music: Shown on previous page
AT: Black Mage
Victory Theme: Fanfare - FF9
Introduction: Chocoabo quickly runs to the field and slime chases (Similar to the picture I linked)
Icon: A crystal
Kirby Hat: Depends on where you suck chocoabo up or which attacks it uses more.

And also from the Pac-Man idea, I decided to write my own snake codec:
Codec Conversation:
Otacon: ...It's a bird.
Snake: ...And a ball thing on it. Any info?
Otacon: The Bird there is a Chocoabo. He travels people around in numerous final fantasy games. One of the most popular Role-Playing series ever.
Snake: Uh...And that ball thing?
Otacon: Oh! That's slime from Dragon Quest, a reoccuring character from that series. He helps the chocoabo with attacks; I'd advise watching out for the front of that bird, and despite him looking bulky, he can easily outrun a majority of characters.
Snake: ...I'll keep an eye on that one.

And a more "Joke" One:
Snake: Otacon, who are those two?
Otacon: I don't know, but I wanted Cloud to rep Square Enix more.
Snake: Ike's the only playboy in this game.
Otacon: No wait! Geno!
Snake: ...That puppet?
Otacon: Wait, sora's keyblade. Would've been more awesome than every character in this game
Snake:...uh...
Otacon: No wait! Chrono, Sora, and Geno should've been riding on that bird thing with that blue thing.
Snake: Wouldn't that be a little heavy?
Otacon: I CAN BELIEVE. It'd be better than the fact you can't actually use kni...
Snake: *Shuts off call* Wow he's high.

With the constructive criticism of the community, I have retooled my *WISHLIST* for the characters in the next Super Smash Bros.

DEFAULT: Mario, Luigi, Peach, Bowser, Donkey Kong, King K. Rool, Yoshi, Wario, Zelda/Sheik, Link, Ganondorf, Kirby, King Dedede, Pikachu, Pokemon Trainer, Ike, Samus/Zero Suit Samus, Ness, Captain Falcon, Fox, Krystal, Olimar, Little Mac, Pit, Ice Climbers
UNLOCKABLE: Bowser Jr./Shadow Mario, Geno, R.O.B., Diddy Kong, Kamek, Toon Link, Tingle, Meta Knight, Mewtwo, Jigglypuff, Plusle and Minun, Marth, Lyn, Ridley, Lucas, Samurai Goroh, Falco, Wolf, Mr. Game and Watch, Travis Touchdown, Mega Man, Sonic, Snake, Pac-Man

Luigi stays default; I know it's a tradition for Luigi and Jiggs but I feel as though he gets the shaft a lot. Of course, this is just a wishlist and I think the directors of the next game will make him unlockable again.
Sonic and Snake now unlockable; I thought it would be better for them to be default as the new third parties can be unlockable, but I rethought it and they should be unlockable.
The deal with Diddy, Ike, PT, Lucas, Climbers; I kept Diddy unlockable; King K. Rool is a newcomer and I want to have a newcomer from DK franchise but I don't want all three default like Kirby. Ness now default, Lucas now unlockable. Pit is now default, so are Ike, Pokemon Trainer, and Ice Climbers.

It was only a wishlist.
Better: Except Lyn still isn't worthy of a spot (Seriously, why?) And a bit too many third-parties (3 and a half if you include geno) And If geno's going to get in, another square character would kinda have to actually represent that right - Still seems a bit overdose on the mario newcomers but overall It looks better.

Also unlockable/default representation is still a bit weird. K.Rool just seems far more suited as an unlockable character.

Starphoenix

NNID
GalaxyPhoenix
3DS FC
2122-6914-9465
Alright, so we have:
Character: Chocoabo And Slime
Stage: Evergreen Plains
Music: Shown on previous page
AT: Black Mage
Victory Theme: Fanfare - FF9
Introduction: Chocoabo quickly runs to the field and slime chases (Similar to the picture I linked)
Icon: A crystal
Kirby Hat: Depends on where you suck chocoabo up or which attacks it uses more.
Sounds fine to me. Taking this creative liberty a little farther, one of Chocobo and Slime's specials should be Sizzle (Dragon Quest). While their UpB should have Slime inflating himself into a balloon while Chocobo flaps his wings.

Another mechanic that could be interesting is the possibility of separating them by damaging specifically one or the other. It is hard to see how it could properly function without some problems involved. The thought just crossed my mind.

Thirdkoopa

Administrator
Administrator
Writing Team
Sounds fine to me. Taking this creative liberty a little farther, one of Chocobo and Slime's specials should be Sizzle (Dragon Quest). While their UpB should have Slime inflating himself into a balloon while Chocobo flaps his wings.

Another mechanic that could be interesting is the possibility of separating them by damaging specifically one or the other. It is hard to see how it could properly function without some problems involved. The thought just crossed my mind.
I'm really confused on the damage meter part personally. If Slime never gets out of the chocobo, then I think It'd make sense for them to just have one damage meter since slime would be too small to hit - The Up B Idea sounds good. I wonder if in any of the games the choc has ever even riden on Slime.

Also If anyone could; Get me a render of slime please. I wasn't able to find one on planet renders, but I already found one of chocoabo.

edit: forgot this, this is a must for music rep for square.: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j6IGmwinUzQ&feature=related

BadAxel97

Smash Apprentice
For animal crosser, a stampede of townsfolk and characters would be cool, but i like the UFO idea. Mii's could also be a line of random Mii's that line up on the sides and pummel the screen with various sports things...
Another Idea I had today was something similar to Wario and R.O.B.'s final smashes:
If enough of Animal Crosser's attacks centered around the various items obtained in the game, they could become GOLDEN, and thus stronger.

Also for down smash I think Animal Crosser could dig a Pitfall in the ground (sort of like Snake's mine).

I like sora too but I'd learn a bit more about Square before saying that. However to be fair Square has a lot of characters that could fit well.
I'm not saying Sora's likely for an appearance, I just want him to be in. I love me some Kingdom Hearts.

*Looks over at avatar*

I wanna wield me a keyblade!

Hero Dude

Smash Journeyman

It was only a wishlist.

If your going to post your list again, then please take it out of this awkward format.
I recomend the traditional one.

Little mac and Isaac are the two most likely characters to appear in the game. You should at LEAST have both of them.

It must be something with you and Pac-man, but he isn't likely at all. No offense Pac-fans.

Plusle and Minun aren't really what people are going to want.
While I know this hardly matters, the fith gen watchamacallit will be in.

Again with Lyn....do you just like her?

While I do REALLY hope that Kamek gets in one day, I doubt it will happen. The Yoshi series is certainly big enough, (Didn't someone say this already?) but as far as popularity I have no clue. I don't know how many other people want him. All I know, is that it isn't many.

thats about all I wanted to say. I think I wanted to say something else but I can't remember what.

Paper Mario Master

Smash Ace
Hey..... I'm just wonderin, but if anyone wants a new topic, what do you guys think of Viewtiful Joe? Even though (I think) he's from same company as Mega Man, not over MM but just whatdoya think? Any ideas?

If nobody wants a new topic (idk) just keep talkin then.....

BadAxel97

Smash Apprentice
I would like Viewtiful Joe, I just don't know how he could be fit into the Super Smash field.
Seeing as his game was centered around fast-forwarding and slo-motioning to solve puzzles or pummel enemies, I don't know how they would work that in...
I mean...unless they gave the player the ability to slo-mo and speed-up the game real-time...
But that would be sort of gay...

Hes cool though!

BadAxel97

Smash Apprentice
Which one would you want the most?
I'll just be boring and say Isaac, because I wanna!

Arcadenik

Smash Legend
NNID
Arcadenik
No one responded to my post from a couple days ago...

Starfy already have palette swaps! Look here. So, including Starfy's default yellow color and Starpy's pink color and the multiplayer colors, Starfy has five colors!

Little Mac also have palette swaps. In addition to his default black tanktop and green shorts and gloves (for the Green Team), he got the following:

- blue gloves, black tanktop, and black/blue shorts for the Blue Team
- black tanktop, black/white shorts, and red gloves
- yellow tanktop, black shorts, red gloves, and brown hair
- yellow tanktop and gloves and red/white shorts for the Red Team - I cannot find a good picture of this costume but it is in one of the videos in the official website, I believe it is in a King Hippo video.
- white shorts and gloves and black tanktop - I don't think this one is in the Wii game but it is definitely in the NES game

Little Mac got six colors already!

Even Tingle got palette swaps of his own, too! Remember Tingle's brothers in The Wind Waker and The Minish Cap? Yeah, he got the Green Team color (himself), Red Team Color (Ankle), Blue Team color (Knuckle), and the white Tingle (David Jr.) If Tingle was added as a newcomer in SSB4, they will likely be Tingle's palette swaps. Tingle got four colors already.

And of course we mustn't forget Toad. His default colors are a red-spotted hat and a blue vest. But he got five other palette swaps and two of them are even playable in New Super Mario Bros. Wii. So that's six colors for Toad. Toadette (pink hat with white spots and red vest) and Toadsworth (light brown hat with dark brown spots and purple vest) would be cool but not necessary.

I think Peach should have SMB Peach and Rosalina as palette swaps in SSB4. SMB Peach is basically a red-haired Peach wearing a white-and-red dress as opposed to a light pink-and-dark pink dress. Rosalina Peach would be pretty much like Daisy Peach, only with lighter blonde hair and a teal-and-white dress with a silver crown.

Oh, and Black Yoshi and White Yoshi from Yoshi's Story would be so cool!
Oh, and I am liking the Slime-riding-on-Chocobo idea a lot. It is possibly the best compromise for a SquareEnix rep. No Final Fantasy characters are truly mascots of the franchise other than the Chocobo. No Dragon Quest characters are truly mascots of the franchise other than the Slime. And both characters together would represent the partnership between SquareSoft and Enix (now called SquareEnix). This is perfect. And better yet, no Cloud, Sora, Chrono, and Geno! All right, that settles it. I am now a Chocobo & Slime supporter and I don't even want third-party characters but if we are getting a SquareEnix rep, I am rooting for Chocobo & Slime.

Paper Mario Master

Smash Ace
Well Joe's B Up is kinda obvious if you've played his games...... that spinning thing he does in "Zoom-in"
Red Hot Kick would hafta be in there somewhere......
his FS could be Six Machine or whatever it is.....
his B could be.....well idk on that one....
Side B could be something to do with "Fast-Forward" with out actually speeding up the game play....
B Down.....Maybe the spinning kick..... in "Zoom-in".....

I say he'd fit.....

Pieman0920

Smash Master
I'm going to reserve my judgement as to how well Joe would work until I get to play as him in TvC when that comes out here. In any case though, I'd think that his Zoom ability itself probably couldn't be used unless its in a FS, but even so, it'd make more sense to have the Six Machine there.

Also Mega Man kind screws with his chances. :p

Thirdkoopa

Administrator
Administrator
Writing Team
I'm not saying Sora's likely for an appearance, I just want him to be in. I love me some Kingdom Hearts.

*Looks over at avatar*

I wanna wield me a keyblade!
Yeah, sadly Sora's not really that likely mainly due to his disney ties, but we'll keep on hoping for a SquareEnix character!

Speaking of which, interesting sales figures time: (In units)
Final Fantasy - 75M
Dragon Quest - 31M
Kingdom Hearts - 13-14M
Chrono - 4M
SMRPG - 2M
Series already repped in smash or are other likely 3rd party contenders:
Metal Gear Solid - 23M
Sonic - 63M
Megaman - 15M
No More Heroes - 0.5

Agreed. Very much so.
Yes; We need Isaac. If there's any first-party character I'd say we need, It's him.

Arcadenik

Smash Legend
NNID
Arcadenik
Let's see how Golden Sun DS does before we can determine if Isaac or the new protagonist are likely. I cannot say a Golden Sun rep is likely because I haven't seen Nintendo lavish attention on Golden Sun DS like they did with Punch-Out!! and The Legendary Starfy and even both Tingle games. I also think Toad is likely because Nintendo lavished attention on New Super Mario Bros. Wii.

BBQTV

Smash Master
Am I the only one who wants to see Toon Ganondorf?
no your not. i dont care but im sure people want him.

@golden sun no one has any clue this game exists.thats not really important i guess [looks at ness,lucas,marth,roy] but still

Thirdkoopa

Administrator
Administrator
Writing Team
No one responded to my post from a couple days ago...
Interesting; doesn't raise there chances or anything but it's still interesting.

Oh, and I am liking the Slime-riding-on-Chocobo idea a lot. It is possibly the best compromise for a SquareEnix rep. No Final Fantasy characters are truly mascots of the franchise other than the Chocobo. No Dragon Quest characters are truly mascots of the franchise other than the Slime. And both characters together would represent the partnership between SquareSoft and Enix (now called SquareEnix). This is perfect. And better yet, no Cloud, Sora, Chrono, and Geno! All right, that settles it. I am now a Chocobo & Slime supporter and I don't even want third-party characters but if we are getting a SquareEnix rep, I am rooting for Chocobo & Slime.
Together Starphoenix, Toise, and I shall secretly rule the world! :laugh: Tho I'm starting to think this idea is really worthy of being sent in to both Square and to Nintendo. I am officially willing to say this is my second most supported character overall now

Let's see how Golden Sun DS does before we can determine if Isaac or the new protagonist are likely. I cannot say a Golden Sun rep is likely because I haven't seen Nintendo lavish attention on Golden Sun DS like they did with Punch-Out!! and The Legendary Starfy and even both Tingle games. I also think Toad is likely because Nintendo lavished attention on New Super Mario Bros. Wii.
Uh huh...GS Has sold about 3 Million copies and now that nintendo is treating it like one of there bigger series (Mentioned more in interviews as FMOI Has pointed out, iirc) It even had similar sales figures as the gamecube pikmin games.

In other words, asides from LM Which is debateable on whether he's still retro or not (Or If sakurai puts in 2) Isaac is basically next in line for Ninty's underrepresented by a PC/Stage franchises. I don't think we can say either him or Little Mac are shoe-in yet (Hell, at this point I have the belief that no character is a complete shoe-in) But he certainly seems to have priority over other smaller franchises like Olimar did during Brawl.

Fatmanonice

Banned via Warnings
NNID
Fatmanonice
I'm going to reserve my judgement as to how well Joe would work until I get to play as him in TvC when that comes out here. In any case though, I'd think that his Zoom ability itself probably couldn't be used unless its in a FS, but even so, it'd make more sense to have the Six Machine there.

Also Mega Man kind screws with his chances. :p
It also doesn't help that it's technically a dead franchise which is shame because the first Two Viewtiful Joe games were among the best third party games on the Gamecube. (Too bad they killed the appeal with the spinoff party game and the crappy cartoon...)

ToiseOfChoice

Smash Ace
@Third Koopa: You know what you can do for me as thanks for the ChocoSlime idea? Stop worrying about whether Mac is retro or not. Sakurai doesn't have any quotas or restrictions on adding new series, new or old.

Also you guys need to stop relying on VGChartz alone for sales info. Arcadenik had a post like a week ago with some inaccurate numbers and now Mr. Kooper is saying Mega Man has only 15 million in sales (the correct answer is 28 million as of 6/30/09).

Thirdkoopa

Administrator
Administrator
Writing Team
@Third Koopa: You know what you can do for me as thanks for the ChocoSlime idea? Stop worrying about whether Mac is retro or not. Sakurai doesn't have any quotas or restrictions on adding new series, new or old.
I'm not really worrying about that too much, because even If it comes down to both It's not like sakurai would say "uh...scrap isaac; he's not as cool as little mac 0l" I'm just not putting any hope into any character being 100% Confirmed. (Tho I do believe Isaac/Mac are the most likely for new series regardless of If mac is counted as retro or not) There.

Also If Choco/Slime somehow gets in due to us...Oh that will be amazing yet a good laugh. United, we shall make sure square is represented in the next smash game.

Also you guys need to stop relying on VGChartz alone for sales info. Arcadenik had a post like a week ago with some inaccurate numbers and now Mr. Kooper is saying Mega Man has only 15 million in sales (the correct answer is 28 million as of 6/30/09).
Oh, really? I'd like another site for sales info please. That'd be great; And I just posted it because I found it interesting, just noting that.

Fatmanonice

Banned via Warnings
NNID
Fatmanonice
Yeah, I think we're all in agreement that Little Mac's not retro anymore. Even if Punch-Out were to never get another game (which is unlikely seeing how Next Level Games seems to want to continue it so badly), it still had a new installment in 2009. If I had to guess, the next Smash Bros will probably start development in 2012 and, in the world of Nintendo, three years is not a big deal.

Arcadenik

Smash Legend
NNID
Arcadenik
Right, even though Little Mac is not retro anymore he will most likely be grouped with the other NES protagonists from that period. Remember Samus was grouped with Pit, Ice Climbers, and R.O.B. in Brawl and she wasn't even retro anymore. So it is likely we would get at least two new retro characters in addition to Little Mac in SSB4. I am rooting for Takamaru and the Duck Hunt Dog for those spots.

Toise, if you may, please point us to the more up-to-date sales charts.

Thirdkoopa, if Golden Sun was as big as Pikmin like you said, wouldn't Isaac be in Brawl as a playable character and not an Assist Trophy?

artifact

Smash Cadet
hmmm, a chocobo??? i dunno about that, its kind of iconic but not anything to define a series with lol

n88

Smash Lord
@Arcadenik

I'm fine with those other color swaps you posted, but Rosalina should not be a palette swap for Peach. Blue Peach =/= Rosalina. Blue Peach = Blue Peach. Even Peach's yellow swap doesn't really look that much like Daisy. Rosalina would be a stretch, plus I find the concept of Rosalina with Peach's moveset horribly unappealing. It makes no sense whatsoever.

But, yes, Little Mac would likely be grouped under Samus's column, regardless of retro status.

Thirdkoopa

Administrator
Administrator
Writing Team
Thirdkoopa, if Golden Sun was as big as Pikmin like you said, wouldn't Isaac be in Brawl as a playable character and not an Assist Trophy?
"If F-Zero is four times as bigger in sales as Mother, then why is samurai goroh an AT Yet Lucas playable?"

Horah for questions we don't have answers too! Quite honestly; I really don't know, but same question can also be directed at stafy (From VGCharts only, It seems to have not sold a lot)

Fatmanonice

Banned via Warnings
NNID
Fatmanonice
Well, you also have to keep in mind that Samus was essentially a stand alone character for her franchise and all the major stars from the first game were up at the top. (Mario, DK, Link, Samus, Kirby, Fox, and Pikachu.) If anything, it was set up like that to resemble how it looked in Smash 64. Chances are, the roster would have been set up different if Metroid had more than one "picture" rep on the select screen. In all honesty, I think Mr. Game and Watch, Pit, Ice Climbers, and ROB will be paired up on the select screen in the next game.

n88

Smash Lord
@Fatman

I think Samus and Pit will always be grouped together, because their games ran off the same engine. I suspect this is why Pit is above the ICs in the first place, in direct violation of the otherwise prevalent "Veterans over newcomers" rule. ICs and ROB get grouped with Samus and Pit because they're all Famicom characters. It seems logical that more Famicom characters would be grouped with them over GaW.

Arcadenik

Smash Legend
NNID
Arcadenik
N88, it makes sense for Peach to have Rosalina's colors. Mario got Wario's classic colors and Luigi's SMB colors. Wario got Mario's colors. Luigi got Waluigi's colors. Peach got Daisy's colors. Even Diddy Kong got Dixie Kong's colors.

Thirdkoopa, maybe F-Zero is not as popular as Mother is despite bigger sales? I mean, look at the characters in F-Zero. They all need to have made-up movesets like Captain Falcon to get in while Mother characters merely need to borrow moves from other Mother characters in addition to their own moves to get in like Ness and Lucas did.

There is also the fact that Sakurai always wanted to add Lucas in Melee but couldn't do that because Mother 3 was cancelled on the Nintendo 64 back then. This and the fact Samurai Goroh was the only F-Zero character on the Melee poll while Black Shadow was the only F-Zero character mentioned on Sakurai's Brawl journal imply that the Japanese fans are not into F-Zero as much as the American fans are.

Edit: I wanted to add something to the Metroid/Retro thing.

Remember that Metroid and Kid Icarus both were originally Famicom Disk System games so Samus and Pit are grouped together. Ice Climber and Gyromite were originally Famicom games so the Ice Climbers and R.O.B. are grouped together.

Now, you all know that I want Little Mac, Takamaru, and the Duck Hunt Dog in SSB4. So let's assume that these three NES-era characters are getting in the game and let's assume that each column would have five slots. I would think this is how the groups would look like.

Column with NES-era protagonists
Samus
Pit
Takamaru (his game was on the Famicom Disk System)
Ice Climbers
Little Mac (the original Punch-Out was on the Famicom)

Column with NES-era mascots plus two third-party characters
Mr. Game & Watch (mascot of Game & Watch series)
R.O.B. (mascot of Gyromite, Stack-Up, and the NES)
Duck Hunt Dog (mascot of Duck Hunt and the Zapper, also grouped with R.O.B. because his game used the Zapper peripheral while R.O.B. himself is a peripheral for his own two games)
3rd party character #1
3rd party character #2

Thirdkoopa

Administrator
Administrator
Writing Team
Thirdkoopa, maybe F-Zero is not as popular as Mother is despite bigger sales? I mean, look at the characters in F-Zero. They all need to have made-up movesets like Captain Falcon to get in while Mother characters merely need to borrow moves from other Mother characters in addition to their own moves to get in like Ness and Lucas did.

There is also the fact that Sakurai always wanted to add Lucas in Melee but couldn't do that because Mother 3 was cancelled on the Nintendo 64 back then. This and the fact Samurai Goroh was the only F-Zero character on the Melee poll while Black Shadow was the only F-Zero character mentioned on Sakurai's Brawl journal imply that the Japanese fans are not into F-Zero as much as the American fans are.
Those are still factors, but It still applies to a lot of things; Really, only reason I can think of is that the series kinda got quiet after 2003, thus having people not really be vocal about it as oppossed to other characters, unlike It's recent revival. Oh, and AC Also being in priority for some representation (Hence the stage)

And of course; LM's, Stafy's, and Tingle's new games didn't have the greatest sales either (ACCORDING TO VGCHARTS, No other source currently)

Starphoenix

NNID
GalaxyPhoenix
3DS FC
2122-6914-9465
Together Starphoenix, Toise, and I shall secretly rule the world! :laugh: Tho I'm starting to think this idea is really worthy of being sent in to both Square and to Nintendo. I am officially willing to say this is my second most supported character overall now.

I do not know about ruling the world but it definitely is a viable idea. You never know Chocobo and Slime could become a new phenomenon that sweeps the web. If it could happen to Geno, most anything is possible...

We shall see, if Nintendo ever holds a SSB4 poll we could always try and drum up some support. lol

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom