• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

[Official SSB4 Discussion] --- Nintendo announces 2 new Smash games!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Shadow13

Smash Journeyman
Waluigi could get in, that doesn't mean he should get in.
Bowser Jr. beats him for a 5th Mario character, if there is a 6th Mario character, maybe, but there are still people wanting Boo, Paper Mario, ect.
For Zelda characters, Tingle is probably the 5th slot character, if there are 6 Zelda characters, then I'll expect Vaati.
Geno won't get in, accept this.
Paper Mario might get in, if there are 2 Links there could be 2 Marios.

Clownbot

Smash Lord
Zario, Waluigi doesn't need his own game to be playable, it's just that he's a filler character with no importance to the Mario series. It's about as logical as making a Goomba playable.

Wait... You don't think Goombas should be playable, do you?

SmashChu

Banned via Warnings
Zario, Waluigi doesn't need his own game to be playable, it's just that he's a filler character with no importance to the Mario series. It's about as logical as making a Goomba playable.

Wait... You don't think Goombas should be playable, do you?
Game and Watch? Or ROB?

Zario777

Smash Apprentice
I can easily make a moveset for a Goomba, he IS the most common enemy...
@Shadow13: I meant as a Wario rep. I would choose Boo over Waluigi anyday (Boo is my favorite character of all time)
@Neckbeard: It says that since he is an Assist Trophy means that he won't be playable on Brawl, doesn't say anything about not being playable at all.

Also, I think that the Paper Mario Series should get its own series to represent (I said this in my roster post a page back).

But back on topic, why wouldn't you guys like a crapload of characters for SSB4? Instead of saying that there will be at least 50 and denying every1 elses dream character, let them believe whatever they want about their characters being in the next SSB game just like how all of us contributing to the 1442 pages believe that there is gonna be a next SSB game (it aint confirmed yet)

Neckbeard Torterra

Smash Journeyman
Also, I think that the Paper Mario Series should get its own series to represent (I said this in my roster post a page back).

But back on topic, why wouldn't you guys like a crapload of characters for SSB4? Instead of saying that there will be at least 50 and denying every1 elses dream character, let them believe whatever they want about their characters being in the next SSB game just like how all of us contributing to the 1442 pages believe that there is gonna be a next SSB game (it aint confirmed yet)
Because John Cena, Spiderman, and other pointless money costing characters in Smash brothers who will never make the cut is a waste of time to discuss. (Or even mention)

Rayquaza07

Smash Ace
my prediction is that its gameplay will be way diffrent then melee 64 and brawl so many people wanting the hitstun and wavedashing (from melee) which prob won't even be in there cuz why do we need another melee we have one; so stop complaing and go play melee instead>_>

And boo for new char.:]

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
I agree, great and horrifically underrated series. I wonder if the absence of Wario Land stuff has more to do with Yokoi no longer being alive more than anything else. I kind of get the feeling that's why all the Mario Land games are kind of neglected too. In a way, I think Nintendo kind of feels guilty for how Yokoi was viewed by his peers near the end of his life thanks to the Virtual Boy.
Well, it didn't help that Nintendo released the VB before Yokoi could finish it. At the very least, the VB and its games have been acknowledged in the chronicle, not to mention that Yokoi's very own characters (Samus, Pit, Wario and Mr. Game & Watch) got the honor of becoming playable characters in the pantheon of champions that is Smash. Also, I should mention that Panel De Pon (which got some stickers in Brawl and had Lip mentioned by Sakurai on his poll) is part of his resume...

That said, I hope that "Wario Land: Shake it!"'s good sales and reception will help Ninty realize that Wario Ware isn't the only Wario series in town and give it the rightful treatment it deserves.

I must say that I agree with you. Just because we're wishing for certain characters doesn't automatically mean that they'll show up in the next game! I mean, it's not like Sakurai is stalking the forums and taking every single suggestion.

Myself, I'm hoping for Mach Rider (whom I believe can pull a Captain Falcon and get his own moveset) and Star Man. Sure, it's not very likely, but I can still dream about the possibility of them showing up.

Dare to dream, ladies and gentlemen, dare to dream...:smoke:

SmashChu

Banned via Warnings
-Game and Watch was a series of portable monochrome games.
-ROB SAVED THE VIDEOGAME INDUSTRY FROM CRASHING.
1)The industry had already chashed. At least the console side of it.
2)The NES saved gaming. And it was Mario more then ROB. ROB, I believe, allowed them to sell the system in America. It was more Mario who made the mark. If it was true, ROB would have been more of a hallmark.

But you also dodged the question. If personality is the reason A or B should be added, then why do we have those two?

Pieman0920

Smash Master
Pretty cool! Maybe you'd be interested in MYM?
Nah, MYM for the most part doesn't interest me, since it seems to be heavily based on making things too outlandish, yet adding in things like exact percentages which I wouldn't really want to do. Plus, there's a lot of extra detais I wouldn't want to bother with. Plus, its a competition overall, which I don't really want to get involved with, since mostly anything I come up with it just a tangent I think of for no good reason.

Pieman0920

Smash Master
So. . . . . .would anyone like to finally see Bowser's Castle make an appearance?
Yes, Yes, Yes, Yes, and Yeessssss. Why Bowser's Castle hasn't become a stage yet is beyond all of my comprehension. (Same goes for why Mushroomy Kingdom existed while Mushroom Kingdom III doesn't, but not to the extent at my puzzlement over Bowser's Castle)

Man can only hope that SSB4 rectifies this problem.

Clownbot

Smash Lord
Game & Watch and ROB represent their own series/console/retro gaming as a whole. Waluigi.... He's just there. He's not important AT ALL.

Zario, there's nothing wrong with wanting a bunch of characters, you just have to understand that it's probably not going to happen. I expected the roster to double in size from Melee to Brawl, and they added 10 characters (excluding transformations).

kirbywizard

Smash Hero
3DS FC
0989-1847-5768
Game & Watch and ROB represent their own series/console/retro gaming as a whole. Waluigi.... He's just there. He's not important AT ALL.

Zario, there's nothing wrong with wanting a bunch of characters, you just have to understand that it's probably not going to happen. I expected the roster to double in size from Melee to Brawl, and they added 10 characters (excluding transformations).
I blame SSE for the low amount of characters. After replaying the story mode a little, I really begin to wonder why the majority of there work went into making it.

Neckbeard Torterra

Smash Journeyman
1)The industry had already chashed. At least the console side of it.
2)The NES saved gaming. And it was Mario more then ROB. ROB, I believe, allowed them to sell the system in America. It was more Mario who made the mark. If it was true, ROB would have been more of a hallmark.

But you also dodged the question. If personality is the reason A or B should be added, then why do we have those two?
The NES didn't sell well in America to the point of stores not wanting to sell it. Then ROB was marketed as a toy rather than a video game. Mario didn't have that appeal as IT WAS A VIDEOGAME.
This of course worked and made Mario to eventually sell. So ROB saved Mario (globally).
ROB wasn't a game hero nor was he BIG in japan, of course hes not mascot fitted. Though worthy of a Brawl slot. G&W came out in 1980.
(a year before Donkykong).
He doesn't need personality for a slot.

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
So. . . . . .would anyone like to finally see Bowser's Castle make an appearance?
Would I!? :eek:

Why, yes! :bee:

It's about time that the big B should get his own stage. In fact, it seems strange that he hasn't had one until now. Even odder is how Peach ended up losing one of the stages she shared with Mario and Bowser.

I blame SSE for the low amount of characters. After replaying the story mode a little, I really begin to wonder why the majority of there work went into making it.
It's kinda difficult to write a crossover story of epic proportions when the cast of characters is limited. That said, everyone had been begging for a more story-driven adventure mode and, well, here it is.

Also, there clearly wasn't enough production time for more characters, what with the delays and everything. Making a video game is a lot harder than it looks, you know.

At any rate, I hope that there will be more characters to look forward to next time...

Neckbeard Torterra

Smash Journeyman
Would I!? :eek:

It's kinda difficult to write a crossover story of epic proportions when the cast of characters is limited. That said, everyone had been begging for a more story-driven adventure mode and, well, here it is.

Also, there clearly wasn't enough production time for more characters, what with the delays and everything. Making a video game is a lot harder than it looks, you know.
I also think that its time÷money.
You got like 30 sum characters but don't add in their mythos and final bosses into the plot.. If you did, you'll have a 90 hour epic that costs more, and takes up more time while it only sells for $50.
This is probably why SSB will be average in plot since it'll sell for $50 for less effort. I just wish, Nintendo could have more morals and deliver a GOTY. Wasn't OoT their last GOTY?

kirbywizard

Smash Hero
3DS FC
0989-1847-5768

At any rate, I hope that there will be more characters to look forward to next time...
When I thought of a story mode for Brawl I was thinking something similar to adventure mode in Melee. I mean with a few things added ( bosses and maybe one or two cutscenes) to make it have a simple storyline.

I mean I found SSE fun but looking at the amount of time they put into it I begin to wonder if they went to deep into it

Big-Cat

Challenge accepted.
NNID
KumaOso
3DS FC
1590-4853-0104
The NES didn't sell well in America to the point of stores not wanting to sell it. Then ROB was marketed as a toy rather than a video game. Mario didn't have that appeal as IT WAS A VIDEOGAME.
This of course worked and made Mario to eventually sell. So ROB saved Mario (globally).
ROB wasn't a game hero nor was he BIG in japan, of course hes not mascot fitted. Though worthy of a Brawl slot. G&W came out in 1980.
(a year before Donkykong).
He doesn't need personality for a slot.
I suggest refreshing up on your Nintendo history. This is from Wikipedia with citations.

Using another approach to market the system to North American retailers as an "entertainment system", as opposed to a video game console, Nintendo positioned the NES more squarely as a toy, emphasizing accessories such as the Zapper light gun, and more significantly, R.O.B. (Robotic Operating Buddy), a battery-powered robot that responds to special screen flashes with physical actions.[7] Although R.O.B. succeeded in generating retailer attention and interest for the NES, retailers were still unwilling to sign up to distribute the console.[5][fn 9] Only after an intense direct campaign by a dedicated "Nintendo SWAT team",[11] including telemarketing and shopping mall demonstrations, as well as a risk-free proposition to retailers, did Nintendo secure enough retailer support (about 500 retailers, including FAO Schwarz) to conduct a market test in New York City. Nintendo agreed to handle all store setup and marketing, extend 90 days credit on the merchandise, and accept returns on unsold inventory.[fn 10]
Depending on how you look at it, Mario may have still played a larger role ultimately since there was the marketing campaign that likely involved playing SMB in order to raise retail support.

I'm starting to realize something. Ever since the days when we supported Brawl characters, character predictions have become something like politics. We convince people to support a characters inclusion with cliche arguments and reasons along with possibly making up convincing information, and the ones in power of this thread make the rules. Ultimately, it's not that big of a role in the grand scheme of things.

Clownbot

Smash Lord
Thats a good point. Sakurai could be som1 on these forums desguised as a normal fanboy. I bet you its Wizzerd if anyone >.>
It's hilarious to me that you of all people are calling Wizzerd a fanboy.

I admit, he has an unusual liking for Tingle, but he expresses more logic.

Btw, he was saying that Sakurai probably WASN'T here. I mean, he has better things to do than research 1,000+ pages, many of which contain nothing but worthless dribble (even the intelligent posters have a lot of pointless arguments).

Here here!
No, no!

I apologize in advance if any part of this post offended you.

Starphoenix

How Long Have I Been Asleep?
NNID
GalaxyPhoenix
3DS FC
2122-6914-9465
Btw, he was saying that Sakurai probably WASN'T here. I mean, he has better things to do than research 1,000+ pages, many of which contain nothing but worthless dribble (even the intelligent posters have a lot of pointless arguments).
That is what happens when people actually take time out of their day to go on a random video game forum to bicker over details for a game that we do not even know is coming in the future (though most likely is). To be quite honest, I think a lot of the users here take the series ten times more seriously than Sakurai or Nintendo do

Clownbot

Smash Lord
That is what happens when people actually take time out of their day to go on a random video game forum to bicker over details for a game that we do not even know is coming in the future (though most likely is). To be quite honest, I think a lot of the users here take the series ten times more seriously than Sakurai or Nintendo do
I really should be offended, being one of the people in question, but I don't really feel all that bad, nor am I intent on changing. :laugh:

On a more serious note, perhaps I should be a bit more lighthearted.....

It just irks me to see fan rosters with literally a hundred characters that have no chance whatsoever of getting into Smash.

Zario777

Smash Apprentice
It's hilarious to me that you of all people are calling Wizzerd a fanboy.
I wasn't calling him a fanboy, I was just pointing out that some ppl on these forums are fanboys
I am in the case of Boo, King Boo, Podoboo, Blooper, and other ppl with the lettters "b-o-o" in thier name

Yes, yes!

Lol, you wasted your time reading this

Neckbeard Torterra

Smash Journeyman
Depending on how you look at it, Mario may have still played a larger role ultimately since there was the marketing campaign that likely involved playing SMB in order to raise retail support.
NES Swat team demonstrated ROB and the zapper. Not mario because nobody wanted to retail videogames

"The NES would be released in New York City on October 18, 1985 with an initial shipment of 100,000 systems. Each set would include a console, two gamepads, a R.O.B., a Zapper, and the Game Paks Gyromite and Duck Hunt"

As that was successful, they started to BUNDLE Mario bros (A videogame) because NOW the nes was strong enough in popularity to sell without "Toys" (Rob and friends).

Big-Cat

Challenge accepted.
NNID
KumaOso
3DS FC
1590-4853-0104
Whoops missed that detail. My mistake.

EDIT: Just looked at the information again. The release you're referring to was actually one of two test markets. When the NES was released nationwide, there were two bundles: the original one, and the scaled down bundle with SMB.

All in all, R.O.B. was one of a number of Trojan horses, but Mario was the army inside.

Neckbeard Torterra

Smash Journeyman
All in all, R.O.B. was one of a number of Trojan horses, but Mario was the army inside.
exactly.
The kings wouldn't have wanted a plumber when they could get a giant mecha instead..
Mario gave nintendo staying power. But that wasn't possible without ROB.

(Though maybe 20 years later when Navy men came back from Japan and didn't shut up about a guy in a jumpsuit who murdered turtles)

EDIT; But Mario wasn't bundled till after 1985 a year (Maybe more?) after the ROB bundles were successful. This success would Make Mario a nation wide release bundle (The cheaper of the two nationwide bundles).
At the time NES wasn't sold by a large market, just 400 some retaliators until more people saw that the toy scheme was marketable, then that success= NES to jump off ROB's ****, and bundle Mario.

ToiseOfChoice

Smash Ace
Alright, time to start picking apart Wizzerd's roster. Rather than do the whole thing at once and fill the thread with giant quote towers I'll just stick to one character at a time. First up is Paper Mario.

I don't think he'll get in.

He doesn't look happy about that.

Anyway, the very first thing I want to establish is that Paper Mario is Mario. No one in the Paper Mario games says "Hey, Paper Mario! Paper Bowser kidnapped Paper Princess Peach!" They're the same people in a different art style. Yes, there are some differences in moves based on the general RPG aspects of the games and a few new ones based on the 2D-ness, but overall it's the same. I know a few of you might try to debate this point but you're arguing semantics that most people (including Sakurai) don't care about or notice.

It seems the majority of his support comes in the arguements of "he'd have a unique moveset" or "he'd be unique by being 2D" or "we got two Links and we've had two Marios before, why not this one?"

Moveset: Chances are much more likely for him to end up with a clone moveset than an original creation. You all know Sakurai's track record here. He doesn't care about making sure every possible aspect of a character is properly represented, only the core elements. Mario's moves have been well defined, even if that means we don't see what he's fully capable of.

Unique appearance: I actually haven't heard this one too often but obviously it's kinda crappy when he's just regular Mario + Mr. Game & Watch. Similarly, I've heard people suggest he should pull out a Hammer as a Side B or fold into an airplane from his Up B so he could slow his descent. Looking kinda familiar.

Twosies: First off, I know most of you know the Melee story with the clones, but here's the link to the big post Sir Ilpalazzo made that explains some of it (scroll down a little to see it). I'll just mention these two parts:

-Dr. Mario (part of the reason he was chosen was because someone wanted to put his music in the game)
-Young Link (although he was just an “afterthought” character, Sakurai seems to consider the idea of having both an older and younger Link important)
Now, I don't know if he's saying Sakurai himself mentioned the "two Links are important" bit or if he's just thinking that since Toon Link made it into Brawl. Either way we have two Links and I don't think that's going to change any more than I expect Wario to lose his overalls permanently. Two major sides of the Zelda series, two Links. The Dr. Mario reasoning is pretty flimsy but he wasn't in Brawl so whatever, spur of moment thing I guess.

Paper Mario has three games to his name in a series with well over a hundred games. A hundred games! And most of them are on the best-selling video games of all time list. To stand out in this series, you have to make an absolutely huge mark. Does Paper Mario do that? No, not really. I mean, the games are great, but there's only three of them (or seven if you group it as "Mario RPGs"), and they haven't sold nearly as well as any of the platformers (then again, most other series' games don't). The bar is way too high here.

I would say there is some hope for Paper Mario as either a last second clone like Doc or as an alternate outfit like Wario's overalls, but there's no reason to. If Sakurai had to have either, I guarantee he'd just use Doc. Easier to reskin/touch-up the model and it doubles as a callback to Melee. Plus I found this awesome picture:

Sweet.

Wizzerd if you respond to this, don't break it up into five million little sentence quotes. Those suck to read. Keep it in paragraphs like Pieman does so I don't go crazy trying to remember the context.

Zario777

Smash Apprentice
Toon Link has three games I'm pretty sure (Wind Waker, Phantom Hourglass, Spirit Tracks)
Plus, Paper Mario hasn't ever used fireballs before (the fire flower shot was an item, but never a power-up.
And stuff.

mountain_tiger

Smash Champion
3DS FC
4441-8987-6303
IMO, SSB4 would be perfect if it had the following:

- Hitstun and shieldstun levels are slightly higher than in Melee, but lower than in 64. In other words, lots and lots of combos.

- The return of bonuses, Race to the Finish, Board the Platforms and character-specific target tests in single player mode.

- SSE 2 AND a Melee-style adventure mode.

- Return of stuff like L-cancel, crouch cancel etc.

- More wacky items and stages

- Every mode that appeared in Brawl plus a 'survival' and 'team attack' mode.

- Every character that appeared in Brawl, and all the characters that got dropped in Melee, along with the following newcomers:

Tom Nook, Krystal, Isaac, Rosalina, Midna, Tails, Megaman, Knuckles and some new Pokemon.

Zario777

Smash Apprentice
IMO, SSB4 would be perfect if it had the following:

- Hitstun and shieldstun levels are slightly higher than in Melee, but lower than in 64. In other words, lots and lots of combos.

- The return of bonuses, Race to the Finish, Board the Platforms and character-specific target tests in single player mode.

- SSE 2 AND a Melee-style adventure mode.

- Return of stuff like L-cancel, crouch cancel etc.

- More wacky items and stages

- Every mode that appeared in Brawl plus a 'survival' and 'team attack' mode.

- Every character that appeared in Brawl, and all the characters that got dropped in Melee, along with the following newcomers:

Tom Nook, Krystal, Isaac, Rosalina, Midna, Tails, Megaman, Knuckles and some new Pokemon.
Change Tom Nook to Animal Crosser and I'm happy with everything else!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom