• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

[Official SSB4 Discussion] --- Nintendo announces 2 new Smash games!

Status
Not open for further replies.

drag0nscythe

Smash Master
A while back I made a request in the SSB4 social group for somebody with photoediting software to make me an image for my predicted roster. Spire III took me up on the offer, thanks to him, and so here's this pretty little custom roster:

Some notes:
  • Spire III made the roster itself but the choices are mine.
  • Paper Mario has his own series, so he's away from the rest of the Mario characters.
  • If there is no Fifth Gen Pokemon or New FE Lord, Mewtwo and Roy can get in, respectively.
  • I decided to have Isaac on the roster instead of the protagonist of GS3 because I'm unsure of which is more likely, but Isaac has a nice Smash-style look and all.
  • All of the characters from new series (Starfy, Tom Nook, Little Mac, Ray MK III, Paper Mario, Isaac) may be replaced by a character from a new series that arises before SSB4.
Sooo... any criticisms?
Tingle will be an AT.
Tom Nook has no chance. Sakurai refused to use any animal crossing character.
Paper Mario is mario. We do not need him. and what the other guy said.

Other then them, it seems standard and boring.
Mainly what we would expect.

Starphoenix

How Long Have I Been Asleep?
NNID
GalaxyPhoenix
3DS FC
2122-6914-9465
I really should be offended, being one of the people in question, but I don't really feel all that bad, nor am I intent on changing. :laugh:

On a more serious note, perhaps I should be a bit more lighthearted.....

It just irks me to see fan rosters with literally a hundred characters that have no chance whatsoever of getting into Smash.
I am sorry, I was not referring to anyone in particular. I was just making a sort of joke, which does not translate well online. Believe me I include myself in that list as well.

UberMario

Smash Master
IMO, SSB4 would be perfect if it had the following:

- Hitstun and shieldstun levels are slightly higher than in Melee, but lower than in 64. In other words, lots and lots of combos.

- The return of bonuses, Race to the Finish, Board the Platforms and character-specific target tests in single player mode.

- SSE 2 AND a Melee-style adventure mode.

- Return of stuff like L-cancel, crouch cancel etc.

- More wacky items and stages

- Every mode that appeared in Brawl plus a 'survival' and 'team attack' mode.

- Every character that appeared in Brawl, and all the characters that got dropped in Melee, along with the following newcomers:

Tom Nook, Krystal, Isaac, Rosalina, Midna, Tails, Megaman, Knuckles and some new Pokemon.
I agree with everything exceot cancels. L-cancelling, crouch cancelling, and wave-dashing were glitches and physic abusing techniques. They don't deserve to be brought back, just like dash-dancing (even if it is funny). That's kind of low in the "newcomer" department though.

Starphoenix

NNID
GalaxyPhoenix
3DS FC
2122-6914-9465
Alright, time to start picking apart Wizzerd's roster. Rather than do the whole thing at once and fill the thread with giant quote towers I'll just stick to one character at a time. First up is Paper Mario.

I don't think he'll get in.

He doesn't look happy about that.

Anyway, the very first thing I want to establish is that Paper Mario is Mario. No one in the Paper Mario games says "Hey, Paper Mario! Paper Bowser kidnapped Paper Princess Peach!" They're the same people in a different art style. Yes, there are some differences in moves based on the general RPG aspects of the games and a few new ones based on the 2D-ness, but overall it's the same. I know a few of you might try to debate this point but you're arguing semantics that most people (including Sakurai) don't care about or notice.

It seems the majority of his support comes in the arguements of "he'd have a unique moveset" or "he'd be unique by being 2D" or "we got two Links and we've had two Marios before, why not this one?"

Moveset: Chances are much more likely for him to end up with a clone moveset than an original creation. You all know Sakurai's track record here. He doesn't care about making sure every possible aspect of a character is properly represented, only the core elements. Mario's moves have been well defined, even if that means we don't see what he's fully capable of.

Unique appearance: I actually haven't heard this one too often but obviously it's kinda crappy when he's just regular Mario + Mr. Game & Watch. Similarly, I've heard people suggest he should pull out a Hammer as a Side B or fold into an airplane from his Up B so he could slow his descent. Looking kinda familiar.

Twosies: First off, I know most of you know the Melee story with the clones, but here's the link to the big post Sir Ilpalazzo made that explains some of it (scroll down a little to see it). I'll just mention these two parts:

Now, I don't know if he's saying Sakurai himself mentioned the "two Links are important" bit or if he's just thinking that since Toon Link made it into Brawl. Either way we have two Links and I don't think that's going to change any more than I expect Wario to lose his overalls permanently. Two major sides of the Zelda series, two Links. The Dr. Mario reasoning is pretty flimsy but he wasn't in Brawl so whatever, spur of moment thing I guess.

Paper Mario has three games to his name in a series with well over a hundred games. A hundred games! And most of them are on the best-selling video games of all time list. To stand out in this series, you have to make an absolutely huge mark. Does Paper Mario do that? No, not really. I mean, the games are great, but there's only three of them (or seven if you group it as "Mario RPGs"), and they haven't sold nearly as well as any of the platformers (then again, most other series' games don't). The bar is way too high here.

I would say there is some hope for Paper Mario as either a last second clone like Doc or as an alternate outfit like Wario's overalls, but there's no reason to. If Sakurai had to have either, I guarantee he'd just use Doc. Easier to reskin/touch-up the model and it doubles as a callback to Melee. Plus I found this awesome picture:

Sweet.

Wizzerd if you respond to this, don't break it up into five million little sentence quotes. Those suck to read. Keep it in paragraphs like Pieman does so I don't go crazy trying to remember the context.

Actually I highly doubt we will ever see Dr. Mario again. He was only added into Melee to justify Sakurai adding in "Fever" from the Dr. Mario game and was also a quick buffer to the roster that Nintendo said was too small. He was unoriginal and many fans did not care for him outside of the people who used him as one of their main characters (I was one the the latter). Now whether Sakurai intended on having him in Brawl again (considering he is one of the "Forbidden 7") is moot, because he cut him, which is why as much as I would like to see Mewtwo again he does not have a good chance of reappearing (but I can dream). Paper Mario, on the other hand, brings a lot more than just "Fever" to the table having his own series.

The discussion on a moveset is tricky, while I would agree I am not sure if Sakurai could refrain himself from rehashing Mario's moveset, I do think it is harder for them considering how different they would be (than again look at Gannondorf). But unlike Toon Link, Gannondorf, Falco, and Luigi; Paper Mario would have a drastically different model compared to that of Mario. Considering he would be flat like Game and Watch and possibly shorter than Mario, not to mention his body would function nothing like Mario. It would be difficult to clone Paper Mario outside of maybe some of the standard attacks being similar and possibly his standard B (though most likely receiving a Dr. Mario touch).

Unique appearance is also moot, considering in Brawl we had Wolf, Lucas, Toon Link, maybe-might be stretching it a tad-Ike.

I think the fact that the Paper Mario series even have trophies in Brawl says that the series is popular enough, not nearly as obscure as the Mario and Luigi series seems to be.

One thing I that could improve the possibility of ever seeing him in the future would be for him to receive another entry in his series. But we will see...

Sorry I have to cut it off here, things need to be done before I head to work. So I will try and follow up at some other time.

n88

Smash Lord
Toon Link has three games I'm pretty sure (Wind Waker, Phantom Hourglass, Spirit Tracks)
Plus, Paper Mario hasn't ever used fireballs before (the fire flower shot was an item, but never a power-up.
And stuff.
Toon Link's also got The Minish Cap, Four Swords, and Four Swords Adventures.

The argument isn't that Paper Mario is so similar in terms of attacks that he would without a doubt end up a clone. The argument is that he's not a separate identity from Mario and Sakurai won't be able to give him a unique moveset due to laziness/never having played Paper Mario/uncreativity.

ToiseOfChoice

Smash Ace
Gannondorf
Oh you.

If you consider Paper Mario to be his own entity, you have to compare him to Mario, Luigi, Peach, and Bowser. That's an extremely high standard to reach and as such, I honestly don't think there's a such thing as "popular enough." Only three characters have ever reached that level, and they all have their own series now (or subseries for Yoshi).

If you don't consider him his own entity, good news, he's already in.

lordvaati

Smash Master
Switch FC
SW-4918-2392-4599
The argument is that he's not a separate identity from Mario and Sakurai won't be able to give him a unique moveset due to laziness/never having played Paper Mario/uncreativity.
Paper Mario is an alternate Mario. it's like saying FFVII Cloud is the same as KH Cloud.or Megaman EXE is the same as Megaman X.
It Would Be Cool If They Putted Silver And Shadow
Shadow is fine as a AT, actually. and Silver kind of has a bad rep for being in the worst game in the series. also, I see a more retro Sonic character joining from the pre-adventure era.

of course, if Sonic does only represent SEGA, then no one else will join.

n88

Smash Lord
Paper Mario is an alternate Mario. it's like saying FFVII Cloud is the same as KH Cloud.or Megaman EXE is the same as Megaman X.

=

Paper Mario is the same person as Mario. In the Paper Mario games, he's referred to as Mario (Or occasionally Maria), not Paper Mario. The main difference is the way they're drawn. There's nothing to establish the Mario from the Paper Mario games as separate from the Mario of all the other games.

While he does have plenty of potential for a new moveset, so did Toon Link. Unless SSB4 is like Melee (20% of the roster being clones) Paper Mario seems unlikely at this point in time.

UberMario

Smash Master
I'm just hoping that SSB4 doesn't have any clones period. >_>

SSB:
1-Luigi (clone of Mario)

SSBM:
-Falco (clone of Fox)
-Ganon (clone of Falcon)
-Roy (clone of Marth)
-Dr. Mario (clone of Mario)
-Young Link (clone of Link)
-Pichu (clone of Pikachu)

SSBB:
-ROB (clone of Pit)
-Falco (clone of Fox)
-Ganon (clone of Falcon)
-Lucario (clone of Mewtwo)
-Lucas (clone of Ness)
-Toon Link (clone of Link)
-Wolf (clone of Fox)

Also I look at specials when it comes to cloning.

Big-Cat

Challenge accepted.
NNID
KumaOso
3DS FC
1590-4853-0104
SSBB:
-ROB (clone of Pit)
-Falco (clone of Fox)
-Ganon (clone of Falcon)
-Lucario (clone of Mewtwo)
-Lucas (clone of Ness)
-Toon Link (clone of Link)
-Wolf (clone of Fox)

Also I look at specials when it comes to cloning.
R.O.B is anything but a clone of Pit. He has a similar recovery and side B, but everything else is different. Falco and Ganondorf are moreso semi-clones than anything else. Lucario's only real similarity is his Hadoken. Lucas is kind of a quarter clone. He shares specials and some moves, but they fight very differently. Wolf only shares special moves so he's less of a clone than Lucas.

Toon Link is the only one who's truly a clone.

Anyway, I would expect some more clones in the future, but nowhere near Melees. Of course, we may not have any if they are alt. costumes (not colors like Peach-Daisy).

Starphoenix

NNID
GalaxyPhoenix
3DS FC
2122-6914-9465
Oh you.

If you consider Paper Mario to be his own entity, you have to compare him to Mario, Luigi, Peach, and Bowser. That's an extremely high standard to reach and as such, I honestly don't think there's a such thing as "popular enough." Only three characters have ever reached that level, and they all have their own series now (or subseries for Yoshi).

If you don't consider him his own entity, good news, he's already in.
That statement kind of loses me, but I did make a mistake in my last post. See I thought the subject was more around Paper Mario being a potential clone of Mario.

=

Paper Mario is the same person as Mario. In the Paper Mario games, he's referred to as Mario (Or occasionally Maria), not Paper Mario. The main difference is the way they're drawn. There's nothing to establish the Mario from the Paper Mario games as separate from the Mario of all the other games.

While he does have plenty of potential for a new moveset, so did Toon Link. Unless SSB4 is like Melee (20% of the roster being clones) Paper Mario seems unlikely at this point in time.
They are not the same, it is supposed to be an alternate Mario much the same as Megaman series (as was brought up by another individual). In EXE he is simply reffered to as "Megaman", though clearly he is not the same, similarly in Legends Volnutt is reffered to as "Megaman". Just because Paper Mario is not referred to as such does not mean they are the same. If you wanted to say that Mario in the Mario and Luigi series is the same Mario that I can agree with, but Paper Mario does not equal canon Mario.

n88

Smash Lord
They are not the same, it is supposed to be an alternate Mario much the same as Megaman series (as was brought up by another individual). In EXE he is simply reffered to as "Megaman", though clearly he is not the same, similarly in Legends Volnutt is reffered to as "Megaman". Just because Paper Mario is not referred to as such does not mean they are the same. If you wanted to say that Mario in the Mario and Luigi series is the same Mario that I can agree with, but Paper Mario does not equal canon Mario.
It seems logical that they would be separate, yes, but there's nothing to back this up (So far as I know) because the Mario series has no solid canon.

Wizzerd

Smash Ace
I'm too groggy right now to actually craft a response to your well-thought-out argument, ToiseOfChoice, so I just dug up something I posted a while back in the social group.

While Mario's paper form may not be the most obvious option for a new Mario representative, he is one of the most likely ones. Paper Mario is the protagonist of the highly successful Paper Mario series. The first Paper Mario for the N64 originated as "Super Mario RPG 2." Due to legal troubles with Square Enix, it was turned in Paper Mario. The game sold over a million copies and was successful critically, leading Nintendo to release Paper Mario: The Thousand Year Door to the GameCube, a game which sold more than two million copies and was regarded critically as an improvement over the original in every way. A new Paper Mario title, Super Paper Mario, entered development for the GameCube, but was eventually pushed to the Wii. When released it did even better than Paper Mario 2, selling around 2.7 million, though it recieved mixed reviews. Due to the success of all three games, a Paper Mario 4 is a definite possibility for the future.

One thing to consider with Paper Mario would be what series he would belong to. It might seem at first that Paper Mario would end up in the mainstream Mario series, sharing the mushroom icon. In this case he would be in direct competition with Bowser Jr., and Bowser Jr. would most likely take the spot over him. However, it is more likely that Paper Mario would be considered its own series. The Paper Mario series is an RPG (with Super Paper Mario being the exception, with RPG elements) and it differentiates itself from the mainstream Mario series in a partner system and a strange sense of humor. It is more likely that Paper Mario will be seen as its own series, and in this case Paper Mario would have no competition.

So with Paper Mario as its own series, it has a far greater chance of making it into the roster. With the only candidates for SSB4 from existing series being K. Rool, Ridley, Bowser Jr. and Tingle, something is needed for more than four newcomers to SSB4. This thing is new series. By expanding the horizon of Smash and including characters from unique series, Sakurai could potentially make the roster more widely enjoyable and fill it. While Sakurai has shown no hint that he will do this, it would be the obvious conclusion and remember that he's barely said anything about SSB4.

Arguments

>> "Another Mario"

All of the arguments against the inclusion of Paper Mario seem to boil down to this. Paper Mario, while drastically unique in comparison to the mainstream Mario, is basically a wasted spot with two Marios. Another, closely related point is that Paper Mario would be a clone. These are valid concerns, but they are proven wrong with careful reasoning.

The first part of the argument, "Another Mario", is quickly proven wrong by the inclusion of Dr. Mario in Melee (not to mention Young Link). He was of course removed for Brawl, but another version of an existing character still exists with the inclusion of Toon Link. Sakurai clearly does not mind that a character is an alternate version.

The second part of the argument, "Paper Mario would be a clone", is even more worrisome and a definite risk, but unlikely. While all the alternate versions of another character included have been clones, this seems to have more to do with how they failed to differentiate themselves from their usual forms than how they were the same character (Young Link and Toon Link) and how difficult it is to give a suitable moveset for a character from a puzzle game. It is even more important to remember that all additions of an alternate version of a character were at the last minute.

So how likely are we to see Paper Mario? There's a pretty good chance. If the series dies out and Toad is revived further after New Super Mario Bros Wii, than it may be more likely that we will see Toad than Paper Mario. However, this depends on if there both is no Paper Mario 4 (which is unlikely with the success of the first three) and if Toad is revived (which is an assumption). Paper Mario seems to be a strong candidate for SSB4.

n88_2004 said:
It seems logical that they would be separate, yes, but there's nothing to back this up (So far as I know) because the Mario series has no solid canon.
Because of the lack of canon there is nothing to back up him being the same either.

drag0nscythe

Smash Master
Another thing to remember is that Paper mario is popular on this board.
Is he a popular choice in the main stream audience?

Wizzerd

Smash Ace
Seeing as all three games sold well, yes, he would probably be recognizable. Whether or not he's popular outside of message boards is very hard to tell, as usually people on message boards are the ones to vote in polls. I always hate it when people say this, as there is never anything to back it up. >_>

UberMario

Smash Master
R.O.B is anything but a clone of Pit. He has a similar recovery and side B, but everything else is different.
Arrow and ROB Beam have similar physics as well, and they are the only two characters that don't regain their recoveries if they're hit after the use of their UpB.

Big-Cat

Challenge accepted.
NNID
KumaOso
3DS FC
1590-4853-0104
Another thing to remember is that Paper mario is popular on this board.
Is he a popular choice in the main stream audience?
It depends on what you mean by mainstream audience. If we're talking about gamers, then it's easier to answer this question.

n88

Smash Lord
Because of the lack of canon there is nothing to back up him being the same either.
Touche. One thing I don't uinderstand about these Paper Mario arguments is that Dr. Mario is brought up constantly. I find Paper Mario's situation closer to Zero Suit Samus's.

Arrow and ROB Beam have similar physics as well, and they are the only two characters that don't regain their recoveries if they're hit after the use of their UpB.
Brief Pit/ROB analysis

Neutral Special

Similarities..................................Differences

Projectiles...................................Pit's arrows are controolled very differently from ROB's laser
Angle can be controlled...........ROB's beam charges with time - Pit's arrows charge as input is held
Cosmetic similarities

ROB Laser - Damage/Frame data

Three levels of power - does between 5% and 16% damage depending on range and charge
Starts firing on frame 25 ands on 55

Pit's Arrow
Does from 2% to 11% damage depending on charge
Fires on Frame 20

Side Special

ROB.........Starts on Frame 17 ends around 120 does anywhere from 2%-24% damage.
Acts as a reflector
ROB Moves froward a litlle

Pit............First Hit on Frame 12, ends quickest on 41
Can be held for up to 10 seconds
Acts as a reflector
Pit moves forward a litlle

Up Special

Can't find much data on

ROB.........Does not send into helpless
Has a set amount of fuel that is not returned when he is hit
Can be staggered by tapping B while holding Up on the analog

Pit...........Sends into helpless if he does not cancel with an attack
Has a good chunk of start-up time
Is not restored after hit

Down Special

These moves are not even remotely close to being similar in any way.

Two very similar specials (Side Special and Up Special) does not mean that ROB is a clone.
Luigi is closer to being a clone of Mario. After all, they have two extremely similar specials (Up-B and Neutral-B). These specials are even closer than ROB's are to Pit's, and Mario and Luigi have several A moves that are very similar as well.

Also, Wolf and Lucas are clones only in terms of speicals and Final Smash. Their A-Movesets are very different from their templates. And Falco=/= Fox in Brawl. Falco has been significantly Luigified.

And Lucario is nothing like Mewtwo. Really. Go play five matches as Mewtwo in Melee, than play five matches with Lucario in Brawl, and honestly tell me they're clones. If Lucario is a clone of Mewtwo, then Samus is a clone of Captain Falcon.
(Sorry for mass off-topicness)

There isn;t really a way to determine popularity outside of message boards. THey're about all we have to go by.

Wizzerd

Smash Ace
n88_2004 said:
Touche. One thing I don't uinderstand about these Paper Mario arguments is that Dr. Mario is brought up constantly. I find Paper Mario's situation closer to Zero Suit Samus's.
Because, whether or not the doctor was brought in as a clone, he got in. If Sakurai thought that Dr. Mario was Mario and was a waste of space, he could have brought in Wario as a clone of some other random character.

n88

Smash Lord
Because, whether or not the doctor was brought in as a clone, he got in. If Sakurai thought that Dr. Mario was Mario and was a waste of space, he could have brought in Wario as a clone of some other random character.
Yes, but I find ZSS a better comparison nonetheless. Both are different versions of the same character with plenty to differentiate them, as opposed to Mario/Dr. Mario, which is just a case of clonage.

Wizzerd

Smash Ace
I suppose there's a comparison. Except, of course, that Paper Mario deserves it and ZSS doesn't. :laugh:

n88

Smash Lord
I suppose there's a comparison. Except, of course, that Paper Mario deserves it and ZSS doesn't. :laugh:
True. ZSS got in because Sakurai wanted another Metroid character, but didn't want to put Ridley in. Kinda stupid, IMO.

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
Yes, but I find ZSS a better comparison nonetheless. Both are different versions of the same character with plenty to differentiate them, as opposed to Mario/Dr. Mario, which is just a case of clonage.
Well, except that unlike ZSS, Paper Mario isn't the result of a character turning into another form. I needed to point this out to anyone who misinterprets this, but one gets the general picture.

True. ZSS got in because Sakurai wanted another Metroid character, but didn't want to put Ridley in. Kinda stupid, IMO.
Stupid, yes. But hey, at least we finally got to see Samus' face in Smash, right? :laugh:

That said, he may have put in Ridley as a boss before he read that famous character poll that was organized after he came up with the roster. I imagine that he might have made an "Oops!" or "Oh, ****!" reaction, when he saw his name on the list...

n88

Smash Lord
Well, except that unlike ZSS, Paper Mario isn't the result of a character turning into another form. I needed to point this out to anyone who misinterprets this, but one gets the general picture.

Stupid, yes. But hey, at least we finally got to see Samus' face in Smash, right? :laugh:
Yeah, someone probably would have come along and said "WTF Mario duz not tern inta Papr Mario, STFU, n00b!?!?" And they probably still will, but at least I can direct them to your post now.

What do people think about Smash getting an original character on the roster? This has come up before, and proved highly controversial. Currently, Tabuu is a popular choice for a Smash Original character, I believe. Personally, I wouldn't mind seeing Tabuu on the CSS, but it's not something I really want.

Wizzerd

Smash Ace
n88_2004 said:
Exactly. ZSS was added for sex appeal. Even Dark Samus would have made a better option, since the Prime series was alive and kicking when Brawl came out.

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
What do people think about Smash getting an original character on the roster? This has come up before, and proved highly controversial. Currently, Tabuu is a popular choice for a Smash Original character, I believe. Personally, I wouldn't mind seeing Tabuu on the CSS, but it's not something I really want.
I thought about the possibility of a Smash-only character with the series symbol on a roster, once. While it would be neat, it wouldn't feel right.

Also Tabuu doesn't seem like he could belong on a roster. He'd get de-powered a bit and such. Ridley would be more justifiable as a former-boss-turned-into-smasher, as he's an established franchise character.

Exactly. ZSS was added for sex appeal. Even Dark Samus would have made a better option, since the Prime series was alive and kicking when Brawl came out.
That, and proving once and for all for those who didn't play Metroid that, Samus is a girl.

n88

Smash Lord
@HiveSteel

Don't get your hopes up. He might appear as a costume for Mario, or possibly a trophy or a few stickers, but that's about it.

Neckbeard Torterra

Smash Journeyman
@HiveSteel

Don't get your hopes up. He might appear as a costume for Mario, or possibly a trophy or a few stickers, but that's about it.
This gave me an idea!
1. alt costume that also replaces fire based moves with electric & pills
or
2. Replace flud with transform (Though Dr.M would need a different move set)

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
All righty, it's time for something different! :coolmonke

Now, we all know how the characters' designs get more detailed and realistic (as realistic most of them can get, anyway), right? That makes sense, as each entry in the series gets made for the latest console.

That said, think about it; the detail for some characters in the next game may get so realistic, that it could almost be frightening! For example, imagine how detailed King K. Rool's scales and bloodshot eye might be...

We won't be able to find this out for sure until 2012 or so, but it's something that should be noted.

SmashChu

Banned via Warnings
Uhhh, I find the idea for Paper Mario just boring. I don't think people would find Paper Mario that interesting or fun. They would probably see him as Mario and a waste of space. People could at least get Dr. Mario (Dr. Mario was a big game and very memorable). I like Paper Mario (the game) but I don't think people see them as two different characters.

Young Link worked because there were two Links in OoT. There are multiple Links, so Toon Link worked. I don't think that players would want to play as Paper Mario.

drag0nscythe

Smash Master
Uhhh, I find the idea for Paper Mario just boring. I don't think people would find Paper Mario that interesting or fun. They would probably see him as Mario and a waste of space. People could at least get Dr. Mario (Dr. Mario was a big game and very memorable). I like Paper Mario (the game) but I don't think people see them as two different characters.

Young Link worked because there were two Links in OoT. There are multiple Links, so Toon Link worked. I don't think that players would want to play as Paper Mario.
Young link barely worked.
I agree. No paper mario.

Go with Bowser Jr. or Waluigi instead.

Arcadenik

Smash Legend
NNID
Arcadenik
I don't see what's so special about Dr. Mario. He is just Mario in a doctor's outfit. Really, the only difference between Mario and Dr. Mario is the B move. I mean, it doesn't make sense for Dr. Mario to throw fireballs.

Zero Suit Samus is just Samus without her Power Suit but at least she doesn't take up a whole slot on the roster and she have different moves due to the lack of her Power Suit. I mean, Zero Suit Samus cannot use Screw Attack nor shoot Charged Shots and Missiles nor drop Bombs without her Power Suit. She had to use her paralyzer gun and rely on her own arcobatic abilities (since her Power Suit is too heavy and bulky to let her be arcobatic).

What's Dr. Mario's excuse?

Clownbot

Smash Lord

Dr. Mario is Mario.... in a different suit.

Paper Mario has endlessly more possibilities than Dr. Mario. At least PM probably wouldn't get turned into a clone.

Also, Paper Mario may not have made a bigger impact, but he has a larger series and he's still well-liked by many people.

Young link barely worked.
I agree. No paper mario.

Go with Bowser Jr. or Waluigi instead.
LOLNO.

Don't tell me you think Waluigi is more important than PM. That's just bull****.

Yeah, I know I'm taking this too seriously. I really don't care.

drag0nscythe

Smash Master
Dr. Mario is Mario.... in a different suit.

Paper Mario has endlessly more possibilities than Dr. Mario. At least PM probably wouldn't get turned into a clone.

Also, Paper Mario may not have made a bigger impact, but he has a larger series and he's still well-liked by many people.
One would hope that WW Link would not be a clone. He has endless possibilities.
And Paper Mario is Mario in another graphics style.

He is the same character.

Wizzerd

Smash Ace
SmashChu said:
If Paper Mario is given a fully unique and original moveset, why would people mind? Not many people seemed to mind Dr. Mario, Young Link and Toon Link, and they were clones/semiclones. If Paper Mario gets his own moveset, people probably wouldn't mind at all. So Dr. Mario was a big game and memorable... The memorable part is bias, and the only Dr. Marios to sell more than a million were the NES and Gameboy Dr. Marios, whereas all the recent Dr. Marios have not sold well. All of the Paper Mario games have sold a million+ (2 million+ for the second two) and have been well-recieved critically. More people will recognize Paper Mario than Dr. Mario.

This is a technicality. While Young Link and Toon Link are technically unique, they have very similar movesets to Link. In fact, since Young Link is technically a younger version of Link, he's technically closer to Link than Paper Mario is to Mario, since it's known that he is Link but it isn't for Paper Mario. What's the basis for thinking that people won't want to play as Paper Mario?

drag0nscythe said:
*facepalm*

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom