• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

[Official SSB4 Discussion] --- Nintendo announces 2 new Smash games!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Pieman0920

Smash Master
Just because one track of SMRPG music was planned, doesn't mean that Geno was. People always seem to associate the two as one in the same, when they are not in the slightest. And if you really are to assume that his inclusion was planned because of this one track of music, shouldn't mean that every series that had a song for it that didn't get a playable character has a higher chance of seeing representation, since those songs actually made it in?

Big-Cat

Challenge accepted.
NNID
KumaOso
3DS FC
1590-4853-0104
Just because one track of SMRPG music was planned, doesn't mean that Geno was. People always seem to associate the two as one in the same, when they are not in the slightest. And if you really are to assume that his inclusion was planned because of this one track of music, shouldn't mean that every series that had a song for it that didn't get a playable character has a higher chance of seeing representation, since those songs actually made it in?
Well, it's safe to assume that Square owns anything that was created exclusively for that game seeing that Geno is their property. Also, why would they get the rights to a third party song, but no character?

smashbot226

Smash Master
My desire to kill you has expanded threefold.
I'd be more obliged to fear you if your post count wasn't below my shoe size.

And we should be honest. Most competitive teams have OU/BL Pokemon on their teams; it's FACT. Sure, some people used them because they were good at first, but NOW everyone just uses them because EVERYBODY else uses them...

On Topic:

To above poster: That point has been talked about for a while. I think Sakurai just intended to add the soundtrack, because he found Geno less important than the current 3rd party characters. You've gotta admit, he pales in comparison to Sonic or Snake, both having highly successful franchises.

Secondly, Squeenix is greedy- very, very greedy. Yes, it's my opinion. But they WON'T STOP MAKING FINAL FANTASY SEQUELS.

It's got the MOST sequels of a franchise EVER.

And no, Mario does not count. LoZ does, but those are separate storylines.

Same with Metroid, save Metroid Prime.

MasterWarlord

Smash Champion
Not wasting countless hours on a 10 man community
Just because the game has Final Fantasy in the title doesn't mean it's a "sequel". All the games have no relevance to any other. Each game just keeps the gameplay and universe, none of the characters or events of previous games whatsoever.

For Pokemon, people use the good Pokemon because there's not a snowball's chance in hell that they can hope to win any competetive battles with a group of Pokemon that are all below Borderline tier. What you said is fact, but this is the other fact which made your fact come to be.

SkylerOcon

Tiny Dancer
Don't mistake Pokemon for Smash. I don't care how good you are with a UU, you'll still get murdered by anything BL and above.

smashbot226

Smash Master
Just because the game has Final Fantasy in the title doesn't mean it's a "sequel". All the games have no relevance to any other. Each game just keeps the gameplay and universe, none of the characters or events of previous games whatsoever.
It's called Final Fantasy.

Then it's Final Fantasies 2- OVER 9000!!!

It's NOT Final. It's never EVER gonna end...

And how did we get talking about Competitive Pokemon anyway? LET'S GET BACK ON TOPIC.

---------

It is now COMPLETELY possible for Ryu Hayabusa to be a Third Party character in SSB4.

Chief Mendez

Smash Master
It is now COMPLETELY possible for Ryu Hayabusa to be a Third Party character in SSB4.
*DIES OF AWESOME OVERLOAD*

The best part is: who else could Tecmo proposition? Also Ninja Gaiden is much better known as a series of amazing NES games than four two amazing 3D action games on the XBOX. Plus Dragon Sword was the sh*t.

SkylerOcon

Tiny Dancer
Actually, Final Fantasy will end at around the fifteenth installment.

And, seeing as you think that Final Fantasy 2 is actually a sequel, you're no longer to talk about anything Square-Enix related in this thread period. Ever. Seriously.

Chief Mendez

Smash Master
Actually, Final Fantasy will end at around the fifteenth installment.
Que? Sure, seeing "Final Fantasy XIV" is going to be weird, but why would they ever stop? They will probably eventually stop making such grandiose projects due to inflated costs, but...gaming without Final Fantasy would be like...like food without peanut butter and jelly sandwiches. *sad face*

And, seeing as you think that Final Fantasy 2 is actually a sequel, you're no longer to talk about anything Square-Enix related in this thread period. Ever. Seriously.
I don't think that's what he meant...

MasterWarlord

Smash Champion
Not wasting countless hours on a 10 man community
To bring up a new topic of discussion that has actual relevance to smash and SSB4, what are the actual odds you think of Sakurai improving online? Not in lag either, in giving us more options and not "protecting us from online predators". Of course it SHOULD happen, but do you think it WILL?

Peanut Butter and Jelly sandwhices are fail. You misspelled "Cheeseburger".

LUVTOY77-ROGUE WIREFRAME

Smash Champion
Hmmm I honestly doubt it will get much better.

On the other hand--the DS Pokemon games, Diamond and Pearl version, allowed you to talk to your friends using the built-in mic. So they aren't totally against it.

What I think on-line should have:

Custom stage playability
--Conditions:
1) Both players must have the same custom level saved on their wii
2) Both players must be registered friends on one another's Brawl game/wii (?)

And yeah. Stages should be playable.

Replays should be savable for more than two minutes... and should be actual replays, so that... well, we could actually use them! And when the game is paused, the recorder is disabled, just incase that was an issue. The theme song would just skip however much played during the paused part. Not that big of a problem.

Names should show up in replays instead of just P1/P2/etc. Hmm this isn't exactly online but eh I added it here!

Hmmm letting us talk to random people would make things a whole lot better.

Instead of just randomly selecting a match--have a server.

It would be a collection of servers, like in Call of Duty or something. You can make a server, or in Smash's case, an arena, with specific rules set. When looking for a match, you can choose randomly, or narrow your results by specifying what type of rules you a re looking for in a server. Many people can watch matches, and an online tournament system, if implemented properly (allowing spectators to chat via an instant messaing type system on-screen; this is for any server allowing spectators.), would be cool.

Chief Mendez

Smash Master
To bring up a new topic of discussion that has actual relevance to smash and SSB4, what are the actual odds you think of Sakurai improving online? Not in lag either, in giving us more options and not "protecting us from online predators". Of course it SHOULD happen, but do you think it WILL?
I think by the time SSB4 comes out, online games without some form of communication (and no, taunt quotes don't count) will be totally unacceptable by the public.

I could see him limiting chat to people in your friend's list, maybe. But honestly, that'd be fine with me. As long as he allows for more variation beyond "2-minute time match w/items maybe" in the With Anyone modes, I'd be satisifed.

Peanut Butter and Jelly sandwhices are fail. You misspelled "Cheeseburger".
Here, let me try again...

*ahem*

Peanut Butter and Jelly Sandwich.

...aw, nuts. I suppose I'm just mentally ********. :lick:

EDIT - "Actual" replays would require a hard drive. And a big one, at that, if you're going to not limit the length of them. And Custom Stages over the web would be a technical nightmare, no matter how you slice it.

I mean, if, to play one stage I randomly made, I had to get three other friends to download and install it...

It just doesn't strike me as terribly convenient/worth my time at all.

phosphorus

Smash Cadet
1. Pulseman
2. Make it faster. Not necessarily global speed, just an increase in actions per minute, probably by reducing lag a bunch (so, more like MvC, possibly).
3. Balance. With all the money Nintendo throws at these games, you think they could test this stuff out right.
4. Some kind of wave dash surrogate, preferably not requiring me to use the z-button (Nintendo controllers = fail).
5. It would be cool to have a "Sonic & Tails" variant of Sonic, where Tails follows you around ice climber style. And While I'm talking about Sonic, his Down B should be a (low priority, obviously) attack.

Darky Dee

Smash Journeyman
I think I mentioned this before--

AIR GRABBING
AIR GRABBING
AIR GRABBING
AIR GRABBING
AIR GRABBING
AIR GRABBING

And better stage builder-- similar like Far Cry's map editor to really deck out stages.

Auto-zoom feature sucks balls. I think Ness and Lucas mainers understand what I'm writing about. You can't see where your PK Thunder is when recovering after you KO an opponent off stage. Fixed cam is lame cam.

In terms of characters, I need to bust my list out:
Captain Rainbow
Dixie Kong
Issac
King K. Rool
Krystal
Ray

And if there is a Geist follow-up, the main character and his possesion abilities would be NEAT.

SAMUS's PED SUIT NEEDS AN UPGRADE-- Ice Missile.
F.L.U.D.D. AND WATERGUN NEED A HINT OF WIN.

Side-note: I like how one poster earlier made the assumption that the Final Fantasy series will conclude at the fifteenth installment.

Exia 00

Smash Champion
I just thought of this xD How cool would a Game and Watch style megaman be xD Any type of megaman would be my main but just for a more creative touch 2D classic megaman would be awesome. His down special is definetly style change =D

flyinfilipino

Smash Master
Just a quick input:

And how did we get talking about Competitive Pokemon anyway? LET'S GET BACK ON TOPIC.
4. These "Competitive Players" of Pokemon don't count. They just smack the Starters, Garchomp, Luxray, & any legendary Dragon on their team. They deserve their cartridges to be destroyed.
And now....

4. Some kind of wave dash surrogate, preferably not requiring me to use the z-button (Nintendo controllers = fail).
...Why?

In terms of characters, I need to bust my list out:

Dixie Kong

King K. Rool
X CHARACTER DESERVES IT MUCH MORE THAN Y CHARACTER

JuniorToons

Smash Apprentice
Maybe they can put every single pokemon ever (except for the playable pokemon) in the pokeballs

SmashChu

Banned via Warnings
Their's a joke I'm not getting somewhere in this. I know its probably funny, but I haven't heard it before.
Nope it's true. Your playing it wrong. You see, if you played it as a multiplayer fighting game (with items probably) then it's balanced. Otherwise, it's note.

I've explained it a bigillion times, but I'll do again if you want.

OverlordMao

Smash Rookie
hmm what do I want in SSB4..
I used to talk all the time about this and im just thinking about all the companies that nintendo has the rights too.
I think Super Mario has the perfect amount of characters
I dont really care much for DK or diddy
I think they need Ashley from Warioware she would be pretty cool
for The Legend of Zelda I think that they should take toon link out, but I know someone would be against that, and add another character from the series in... im leaning toward Princess Midna
They should add atleast add 1 more metroid character maybe Dark Samus
I dont know anything about Kid Icarus or Ice climbers
I say take out R.O.B. since he's not really a video game character
Kirby's Dreamland has a perfect roster already
I never played pikmin
Starfox should get Crystal as well I really wanted her to be in this one but they didnt add her
F-Zero should get 1 more character
for Pokemon I have no clue but I think they will probably take out Lucario for another popular pokemon
MORE FIRE EMBLEM CHARACTERS!!!
Ness and Lucas are good characters I think should beef up Ness a little more or Nerf Lucas
Game & Watch is alright
They will probably take snake out in the next game and keep sonic

Ok so we got

Remove:
- Toon Link
- R.O.B.
- Lucario
- Snake

Add:
- Ashley
- Midna
- Dark Samus
- Crystal
- A New Popular Pokemon
- Extra F-Zero Character
- 1 or 2 more Fire Emblem Characters

Ok so now we get to another topic
Characters from games the Nintendo never used yet

Golden Sun
Perfect Dark
Banjo-Kazooie
Custom Robo
Mega Man
Final Fantasy
Viewtiful Joe
Rayman
Castlevania
Mach Rider

and some Japanese only titles would have some cool characters too

All I want to see in SSB4 is

Charater: Overlord Laharl (since they kinda have rights to it because of Disgaea DS coming soon)
Assist Trophy: Prinny

Darky Dee

Smash Journeyman
No, X character is much more important to the series than Y character and could have an original moveset.

10DONTYOUDARES
I INSIST! So what exactly are you implying? That K. Rool and Dixie aren't able to have original move sets?
9000lolcanos

On OverlordMao's idea--
Perfect Dark is Microsoft's deal-- we have about the same chance of getting Master Chief than having Joanna Aran in the game as is that deformed bear.

I want to see some American stuff, like Geist. Marth/Roy what?
Oh no, you wrote 'remove Snake'. DUCKROLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLL.
R.O.B. is win material.

Dark Samus=Samus? Phazon texture swap? Altered stats? Sounds like WeeGee.

flyinfilipino

Smash Master
I INSIST! So what exactly are you implying? That K. Rool and Dixie aren't able to have original move sets?
9000lolcanos

Joanna Aran
Not by themselves (we're talking about X and Y characters here). The only solution is to put them both together in a tag-team, just like Sakurai intended.

She's related to Samus now?

10SamusDarks

SmashChu

Banned via Warnings
I must say Darky_Dee had the best little character list I've ever seen

Captain Rainbow
Dixie Kong
Issac
King K. Rool
Krystal
Ray
Its a list full of characters I'd actually want to play as.
(NOTE: In case of confusion, it's Ray from Crysis: Day of Disaster)

hippochinfat!!

Smash Lord
Nope it's true. Your playing it wrong. You see, if you played it as a multiplayer fighting game (with items probably) then it's balanced. Otherwise, it's note.

I've explained it a bigillion times, but I'll do again if you want.
How the hell do items make a game more balanced? They are RANDOM. You have no idea what you're talking about.

Darky Dee

Smash Journeyman
Not by themselves (we're talking about X and Y characters here). The only solution is to put them both together in a tag-team, just like Sakurai intended.

She's related to Samus now?

10SamusDarks
X/Y, TAG-TEAM!? What is this sillyness-- new*** chromosomes?! Oh you.~

Sakurai intended to piss us off by NOT putting R.O.B. Oh wait.

Sakurai also intended to put Dixie Kong because he gave Diddy a pink zero suit! And yes, I think Retro Studios had a little bit of information by scanning the computers on Norion by stating that Gay Bird prophesized that Samus is the great grandmother of Joanna Dark. You should try it out.

SmashChu

Banned via Warnings
How the hell do items make a game more balanced? They are RANDOM. You have no idea what you're talking about.
It's becuase how Smash Bros is balanced.

The truth is the game is balanced. But not for 1v1 gameplay. The game is designed as a 4 player fighting game, so naturally this is how the game is balanced. Link is the best example. He was low in 64, and a mid/low in Melee, so why did they make him worse? The reason was he was actually over powered in Melee. Shocking, I know. In the 1v1 field, we was meh at best, but in 4vs he did amazingly well. He had projectiles for camping, and some really mean attacks, the spin attack especially. So come Brawl they make his recovery weak, lower his air speed and gimp the spin attack. Now, in a 4vs environment, he is balanced. His weak recovery offsets his power and attack speed. If the game was balanced with 1v1 in mind, they would have done more to make him stronger.

If you play in a 4vs environment, you'll see everything come together and the game be a lot more playable. But why is it that the game isn't perfect, and every character on an even playing field. Because they didn't balance it like they. What they did is basically make every character have enough pros to have them be usable, and in capable hands, the character can win. This is why items help balance. Because it gives every character an opportunity to win. Instead making it a combination of random luck and skill with the item.

Now, what happens when you try to make the game tournament ready, the balance breaks. No longer is it about all the characters being usable, but the characters needing to be on a flat and even (read:balance) plain. This wasn't the intent of the developers and, as such, all falls apart. Another big part is that some characters are naturally better at 1v1 battles. In Melee, Fox's trophy says that he is better in 1v1 battles. It comes as no surprise why he was top in Melee. His trophy even said so.

The big problem with competative smash is the game was not designed for it. In numerous other fighting games, they can reach a balance. Since the games are a lot more tame, they can focus on traditional balance, and also please everyone, having the game be easy to play but hard to master. In Smash, they have to make it balanced for 4vs; doing it any other way would make 4vs imbalanced and, consequently, isolate the majority of fans.

Of course, even if Smash could be balanced with tournament play in mind, there would still be tier, and becuase how the fan base acts, one character is going to be "overpowered".

Big-Cat

Challenge accepted.
NNID
KumaOso
3DS FC
1590-4853-0104
I must say Darky_Dee had the best little character list I've ever seen

Its a list full of characters I'd actually want to play as.
(NOTE: In case of confusion, it's Ray from Crysis: Day of Disaster)
Ray doesn't seem like a bad idea at all. The only question I have is what his moves would be. Not to mention that he would be the only truly realistic character on the roster (Snake's a clone and super soldier genes; Samus has Chozo blood).

Darky Dee

Smash Journeyman
Well, actually, I meant Ray MK II from Custom Robo. I feel as if a knife punctured my heart a million times, but that Ray would work too, I suppose.

WE NEED MECHA ACTION! Samus doesn't count, she has ****.

NjHudz

Smash Apprentice
In some place between Hyrule and Mushroom Kingdom
i think you guys are looking a bit too far into the future... they might not even make another................................................... on second thought you know they will, but still were gonna have to shovel through all the ******* who seem to think that timmy turner would be an awesome choise for a character.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom