• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

[Official SSB4 Discussion] --- Nintendo announces 2 new Smash games!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Chief Mendez

Smash Master
Yeah, I just assumed that there were many people that a bunch of people liked him the way he is... =P Maybe I was wrong to do so... In which case, I edited my last post a bit to make you people happy... xD
To be honest I don't particularly care what they do with Ganondorf...but if he doesn't change, I'm going to continue not caring about him, is all.

Which is a shame, since I love the actual character...but he really deserves an actual, made-from-scratch moveset, being Nintendo's second biggest villain and all. :psycho:

Chief Mendez

Smash Master
BLAGH

...No comment from me. I hate those games. The only thing good about SPM was how you could get a Game Over by refusing to save the world enough times near the beginning.

kr3wman

Smash Master
BLAGH

...No comment from me. I hate those games. The only thing good about SPM was how you could get a Game Over by refusing to save the world enough times near the beginning.
There's that in tons of other games, if I remember well.

EDIT : If No More Heros 2 is out by SSB4, We need Travis as a 3rd party rep. That guy is simply too awesome. Just being awesome would make a convincing argument for him to be there. Seriously. That game ****ing changed my life.

MasterWarlord

Smash Champion
Not wasting countless hours on a 10 man community
How so? Story > Bowser kidnapped Peach (Barring the original Paper Mario)

Granted, if you could somehow have Mario platforming with the story and dialouge of the RPGs, it'd be better, meaning it has the better gameplay, which is what matters. But really now, the Mario platformers are terribly short.

Super Paper Mario has classic Mario platforming, a story, as well as puzzeles. The story for SPM is easily the most involved of the Mario RPGs. While that's not saying much, it's got far more story then virtually any other game represented in Smash Bros. Zelda, Metroid? I laugh at you. This of course ignores MGS.

Chief Mendez

Smash Master
Chief has very random tastes. Elaboration is in order as to why you hate said games.
I don't hate all of the Mario RPGs. I though Superstar Saga was brilliant, and while Brothers in Time didn't measure up to it's predecessor, it was still a solid game.

What I hate are the Paper Mario games. They're basically RPGs for beginners. I grew up on a steady diet of Dragon Quest, Breath of Fire, Phantasy Star, and Final Fantasy. So right off the bat, the fact that even at the end of those games, I'm only taking like, 5 damage from the Final Boss' attacks is just disgusting to me.

And people go on and on about how cool the timed button presses are...but I've played The Legend of Dragoon, Final Fantasy VIII and X, and Shin Megami Tensei: I know how timed button presses in RPGs should be. They should be a challenge to pull off, and something that will genuinely affect the outcome and efficiency of a battle. In Paper Mario, this is not the case. If you can't follow the stupidly easy on-screen prompts, you are ********.

Finally, the other big element people rave about from the games is how gosh-darned funny they are, right? But...they're not. Sure, they're a little tongue-in-cheek every now and then, but it's no Shadow Hearts 3, Chulip, or Barkely: Shut Up and Jam Gaiden. Superstar Saga had Fawful. Paper Mario (any of them) did not.

And so they're not funny.

Mario RPGs > Mario platformers.
Only in some bizzaro-backwards-negative world where Paper Mario is better than Mario Galaxy. :chuckle:

EDIT - I had to slap myself for you when I read this:

Super Paper Mario has classic Mario platforming
Because SPM does not have good platforming. Mario has one, normal jump. It's not extendable, there're no other jumps...it's basically the same jump he's had through all the Paper Mario games. Which is to say, a jump used for utility, not maneuvering.

And none of the environments in SPM were made for platforming.

MasterWarlord

Smash Champion
Mario Galaxy is the sole exception IMO, but one game can't make up for the others. Everything about that game is godly but the length, and of course the story (Which really doesn't matter). Mario Sunshine was more frustrating then fun, Mario 64 feels too much like it's in the "alpha stage". It's a groundbreaking game, but if it came out later after having learned from the mistakes of others in the genre it'd of done better. I love Super Mario 64 and it's on par with the RPGs, but it doesn't surpass them.

Looking back on the original Paper Mario, that one's bad. Much less strategy then in the later one, and the story is awful.

Galaxy > Super Paper Mario > SMRPG > Paper Mario 2/Mario & Luigi/Super Mario 64 > Sunshine/Paper Mario > M&L: PIT

PIT was insanely short. Too much so to really be considering a viable contender. Really, it's the Luigi's Mansion of RPGs, I dare you to find me a mainstream RPG that's shorter then that which came out in the last 10 years.

Edit: I regognize I probably hold a large bias towards SPM atm, I just finished the game a few hours ago. It still has me with it's "lasting effect". The fact I played through it much quicker then a normal game due to it being a rental didn't help.

kr3wman

Smash Master
SMB3 > SM World > Super Mario Bros > Super Mario 64 > Paper Mario (64) > SMRPG > Sunshine > everything else.

EDIT : Seriously.

Chief Mendez

Smash Master
Mario Galaxy is the sole exception IMO, but one game can't make up for the others. Everything about that game is godly but the length, and of course the story (Which really doesn't matter). Mario Sunshine was more frustrating then fun, Mario 64 feels too much like it's in the "alpha stage". It's a groundbreaking game, but if it came out later after having learned from the mistakes of others in the genre it'd of done better. I love Super Mario 64 and it's on par with the RPGs, but it doesn't surpass them.
I definitely don't agree about Sunshine being more frustrating than fun. It was fun because it was frustrating, to a degree.

But I know what you mean about Mario 64. I picked it up when it first came out on VC way back in '06, and I...I couldn't finish it. The camera is just...terrible. :urg:

PIT was insanely short. Too much so to really be considering a viable contender. Really, it's the Luigi's Mansion of RPGs, I dare you to find me a mainstream RPG that's shorter then that which came out in the last 10 years.
1. Luigi's Mansion was awesome. It got a bad rap for being Ninty's only franchise game at launch, but it's still a ridiculously fun adventure game.

2. PiT may have been short, but at least it was a semi-challenge, unlike the Paper Mario games, which require nothing more than patience (lots of patience).

3. And uh...let's see...Fable, Jade Empire, Gurumin, Sudeki (piece of poop that it was), any of the .hack games, and...Oh, Breath of Fire: Dragon Quarter are all RPGs that came out in the last five years and can easily be finished in under ten hours.

...So there. :p

MasterWarlord

Smash Champion
@kr3wman: The fact you have Paper Mario listed as the best Mario RPG I find astounding. What's so good about the original? What is it I'm missing? I was young then, I enjoyed it then, but the same goes for Mario 64. I go back now to those games, the magic is gone, I see them for what they really are. Paper Mario is horribly generic compared to the other Mario RPGs, and also has the Mario platformer plot of "ZOMG BOWSER HAS KIDNAPPED PEACH LULZ!". It has little to no strategy outside of badges to boot.

kr3wman

Smash Master
@kr3wman: The fact you have Paper Mario listed as the best Mario RPG I find astounding. What's so good about the original? What is it I'm missing? I was young then, I enjoyed it then, but the same goes for Mario 64. I go back now to those games, the magic is gone, I see them for what they really are. Paper Mario is horribly generic compared to the other Mario RPGs, and also has the Mario platformer plot of "ZOMG BOWSER HAS KIDNAPPED PEACH LULZ!". It has little to no strategy outside of badges to boot.
I've had more fun playing through the first Paper Mario than the other ones. It actually felt like a Mario game, with Mario characters and environments and what not. the other one just takes you out of the 'Mario Bros' feeling. They become non-mario Mario games.

And Mario 64 is way better than Sunshine or Galaxy. I don't need anything to prove that. Altho, Galaxy may be better than Sunshine, but I don't know, Sunshine was very, hmmm, It just pulled you in. Everything that you could do was cool, intuitive, fun. Not to say Galaxy isn't, but I find the fludd and all of the gameplay possibilites around it more fun than jumping around balloons.

Chief Mendez

Smash Master
I've had more fun playing through the first Paper Mario than the other ones. It actually felt like a Mario game, with Mario characters and environments and what not. the other one just takes you out of the 'Mario Bros' feeling. They become non-mario Mario games.
I (actually) agree with this.

And Mario 64 is way better than Sunshine or Galaxy.
Not so much with this. :ohwell:

Basically, if I had the choice between playing any other Mario platformer, or just listening to the Gusty Garden theme on repeat for twenty hours...guess which one I'd pick?

PROTIP!: It's not the first one. :bee:

kr3wman

Smash Master
I (actually) agree with this.

Not so much with this. :ohwell:

Basically, if I had the choice between playing any other Mario platformer, or just listening to the Gusty Garden theme on repeat for twenty hours...guess which one I'd pick?

PROTIP!: It's not the first one. :bee:
The first one. No matter how good a song is, you will get bored.

MasterWarlord

Smash Champion
Super Mario Galaxy has godly music and graphics. Super Mario Sunshine had one single gameplay mechanic that got old fast, while Galaxy kept inventing new gameplay mechanics as it went on for brilliant level design. Galaxy may have been too easy, but I feel Sunshine was too challenging and frustrating. Those levels where the water pack is stolen particularly stick out.

Mario Galaxy Music that needs to be in SSB4:

-Gusty Garden Galaxy
-New Egg Galaxy
-Buoy Bay Galaxy
-Battlerock Galaxy

And probably a lot more, but I haven't played the game in a while, those are the only ones with notable tunes I can remember by name. But seriously, those tunes NEED to be in SSB4.

Chief Mendez

Smash Master
Those levels where the water pack is stolen particularly stick out.
Yeah, for being the best frakkin' stages in the entire game.

The only one I outright disliked was the one where you had to get the Piantas to throw you from platform to platform...

Mario Galaxy Music that needs to be in SSB4:

-Gusty Garden
-New Egg
-Buoy Bay
-Gusty Garden
-Battlerock
-Freezeflame
-Melty Molten
-Toy Time
-Purple Coin Challenge
-Gusty Garden
-Comet Observatory (hopefully in a way in which it gets "better" over time, if you know what I mean)
-Credits
smashbot226 said:
Take it easy on him, his post count isn't even above 1000.
True. I mean, I know better, but then, I'm like, 17 posts away from being a Smash Ma--

...DAMMIT

SkylerOcon

Tiny Dancer
I got bored after the first paragraph. It was funny, though.

To bad it doesn't compare to my story, which is to awesome to ever be explained in words.

Chief Mendez

Smash Master
"SkylerOcon said:
I got bored after the first paragraph.
Ah, man! You didn't even get to the *SPOILER ALERT*Royal Canadian Mountain Police*END SPOILERS*!

Now you'll never know why I'm so awesome. :ohwell:

You could say that.

SRSLY THO--I wrote up that big, beastly wall of text (all true, by the way) in only-slightly-premature celebration of my inheritance of the title of Smash Master, but right afterwards, some helpful soul informed me that I've still got another 500 posts after 2000 to go before I get there...so now I've basically spent an hour of my life on nothing/spam. -.-

darkserenade

Smash Ace
You could say that.

SRSLY THO--I wrote up that big, beastly wall of text (all true, by the way) in only-slightly-premature celebration of my inheritance of the title of Smash Master, but right afterwards, some helpful soul informed me that I've still got another 500 posts after 2000 to go before I get there...so now I've basically spent an hour of my life on nothing/spam. -.-
Ah, that's very interesting.

And, just so you know, I know a guy who knew a guy who knew a guy who knew a guy that said that story is fake. TAKE THAT.

princesspeachluver13

Banned via Warnings
ok, back to SSB4
ALERT!!*NEW CHARACTER WISHLIST UPDATE*ALERT!!

Mario Series
Peach New costume(shadow queen)
Mario New Costume(waluigi)
Luigi New costume(Wario)
ROSALINA*flame shield*
Shadow Queen*flame shield*
Paper Characters(Response to Zelda's Toons)

Zelda Series
Zelda New Costume(Midna's True Form)
Ganondorf(SWORD PLEASE)
Toon Zelda*flameshield*
Toon Sheik*flameshield*
Toon Ganondorf*flameshield*

Kirby Series
Kirby NEW HATS(cause of new characters)

Also,
ALERT!!*MOVESET CHANGE WISHLIST*ALERT!!
PEACH
B:Toad
->B:peach Bomber
<-B facing->:Heart Palm
->B facing<-:Heart Palm
^B:parasol
vB: Turnip

flyinfilipino

Smash Master
*quick de-rail*

Galaxy may have been too easy, but I feel Sunshine was too challenging and frustrating. Those levels where the water pack is stolen particularly stick out.
BUT THOSE WERE THE BEST PARTS

Seriously though, I like challenges. Otherwise, you're pretty much left with aesthetics like music and visuals as memorable things, and I liked those in Sunshine (+ it came with challenges).

*undy-rail*

Mardyke

Smash Journeyman
Galaxy was perfectly balanced in my book. It had its easy moments, but it also had those **** hard challenges that kept you retrying and retrying.

Bowser's Road should really make it into the fourth game, though. That or the Bowser fight music in Galaxy.

Big-Cat

Challenge accepted.
NNID
KumaOso
3DS FC
1590-4853-0104
well, a new SSE would be nice, this time WITH DIALOGUE!!!!! In Brawl, BORING. Also, new plot, new baddies, even Shadow Queen(Playable Please):)

Different FS for Peach! Come on, Please, something with Super Princess Peach Emotions!!
I doubt Shadow Queen will ever be playable. However, I can see her easily being implemented as a boss. Not to mention that Peach needs her Shadow Queen clothes as an alt.

Frogsterking

Smash Journeyman
Galaxy was perfectly balanced in my book. It had its easy moments, but it also had those **** hard challenges that kept you retrying and retrying.

Bowser's Road should really make it into the fourth game, though. That or the Bowser fight music in Galaxy.
I think perfect balance in a game would have no easy levels, no frustrating levels, but instead be always slightly ahead of the player increasing in difficulty as the game goes on to match the learning curve, and the story (assuming you fight the bosses later on).

rexinator

Smash Apprentice
This is my wish list for Super Smash Bros. 4!!!

First of all, all characters from Brawl would be in it. (except Lucario OR Mewtwo, they would have to be replaced by the best psychic pokemon ever, Deoxys)

Newcomers:

[Mario people]
Waluigi
Paper Mario
Dr. Mario
Bowser Jr.
Boo
Dry Bones
Birdo
Hammer Bro.
Daisy (NOT a peach costume)
Shadow Mario
Funky Kong
Blooper

[Star Fox people]
Leon (from team "star wolf")
Krystal

[Pokemon]
Deoxys (as listed before)
Pokemon Trainer-Johto (Totodile, Bayleef, and Typhlosion)
Pokemon Trainer-Hoenn (Mudkip, Grovyle, and Blaziken)
Pokemon Trainer-Sinnoh (Piplup, Grotle, and Infernape)

[Sonic people]
Shadow
Knuckles
Tails
Sliver
Blaze

[Third Party people]
Ty the Tasmanian Tiger (Ty the Tasmanisn Tiger series)
Sora (Kingdom Hearts series)
Megaman (Megaman series)
Yoda (Star Wars series)
Darth Vader (Star Wars series)
Krypto (Destroy All Humans! series)
Sly Cooper (Sly Cooper series)
Ratchet and Clank (Ratchet and Clank series)

NO RIDLEY!!!!!!! He's way too huge to be in the game.

kr3wman

Smash Master
Personally, I just need Travis Touchdown as a PC , an Assist trophy or as a trophy. That guy is simply too awesome.

Comon SUDA51! Just Ask Sakurai!

BrawlTilDawn309

Smash Cadet
I just thought of a wicked good idea, cuz people were all talking about Galaxy, instead of just music, we get a whole new Galaxy world, like its just a sphere, but the thing is it you go too far to the sides, u fall off. Also, one of 2 things can happen, 1) the more people that are on one side, the world will spin that way, or the world will just spin by itself. As it's spinning (from people walking, like in Galaxy) the scenery would change, like there would be star bits and lumas in the backround, with the occasional apperance of Bowser, Rosalina and other Galaxy reps (bowser not so much, but idk, just an idea)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom