• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

[Official SSB4 Discussion] --- Nintendo announces 2 new Smash games!

Status
Not open for further replies.

augustoflores

Smash Hero
NNID
augustoflores
3DS FC
4828-5782-2252
Switch FC
SW-2867-0942-2202
we love nintendo so much we would get over it... and good call on that last part, star.

Starphoenix

How Long Have I Been Asleep?
NNID
GalaxyPhoenix
3DS FC
2122-6914-9465
Yeah, here is the logo somebody dug up when picking the site apart for goodies.

Really who drops $136,000 for just some randomn domain? A company does, that's who. Perhaps the same company that also purchased NINTENDOBEEM.COM a year after registering NINTENDOWII.COM, NINTENDODS.COM, and NINTENDO3DS.COM.

Hoots

Can Be Combative
I certainly hope that you all aren't actually considering the possibility of only 5ish newcomers. That would be absolute madness and Nintendo/Sakurai would have to have been beaten over the head to think that so few characters would merit a sequel. If this ridiculous rumor is true, the unveiling will be a huge step down from Brawl's. Regardless, if it isn't a bunch of trolling and we actually only get to see Megaman, I would imagine that it would allow for more info to be revealed on the Dojo/be unlockable. Nintendo might want to keep the wheels of the hype machine going for longer to prevent the huge lul of exciting information that occured in the months before Brawl. That being said, It seems preposterous that the ONLY newcomer that Nintendo would reveal would be geared towards CAPCOM fans. Stupider things have happened, I suppose.

Edit: Here I go through all this effort to comment on the rumor only to have the "Current" rumor disproven while Im typing. Typical. Anyways, I don't mind Beem to be honest. Better than Wii and Current, IMHO. Hopefully that dispells the ridulous Smash Bros: Megaman rumor, eh?

:phone:

Steam

Smash Hero
They can't be included because you're saying there won't be any time to include them in the next game...?That doesn't make any freaking sense.

Hey, guess what. Snake was going to be in Melee but they didn't have enough time to include him... I guess that's why he wasn't put in Brawl either....

ohwaitlol
Snake is from his own series, that's different. They aren't going to cram in a character that was more or less replaced if their replacement is still around and there are even more newcomers now. I mean if they ran out of time then they'll almost certainly run out of time now if they're even planned. They could MAYBE make it in if there were little to no newcomers.

BlueSuperSonic1

Smash Journeyman
I don't mind the name Beem to be honest. Only 2 more days until E3 and then we'll know for sure what the name of the console is and whether or not a new Smash Bros. is in development.

D

Deleted member

I certainly hope that you all aren't actually considering the possibility of only 5ish newcomers. That would be absolute madness and Nintendo/Sakurai would have to have been beaten over the head to think that so few characters would merit a sequel. If this ridiculous rumor is true, the unveiling will be a huge step down from Brawl's. Regardless, if it isn't a bunch of trolling and we actually only get to see Megaman, I would imagine that it would allow for more info to be revealed on the Dojo/be unlockable. Nintendo might want to keep the wheels of the hype machine going for longer to prevent the huge lul of exciting information that occured in the months before Brawl. That being said, It seems preposterous that the ONLY newcomer that Nintendo would reveal would be geared towards CAPCOM fans. Stupider things have happened, I suppose.

Edit: Here I go through all this effort to comment on the rumor only to have the "Current" rumor disproved while Im typing. Typical. Anyways, I don't mind Beem to be honest. Better than Wii and Current, IMHO. Hopefully that dispells the ridulous Smash Bros: Megaman rumor, eh?

This is why I think that if only 3-6 newcomers are made playable in the next Smash, that DLC will be supported. There's no reason not to have DLC characters as playable as it still give us hope that characters that we want will be in.
Snake is from his own series, that's different. They aren't going to cram in a character that was more or less replaced if their replacement is still around and there are even more newcomers now. I mean if they ran out of time then they'll almost certainly run out of time now if they're even planned. They could MAYBE make it in if there were little to no newcomers.
Meta-Knight was planned for SSBM, but was dropped. Like Snake, he made it into Brawl. It is still possible that Mewtwo and/or Roy could return for SSB4, especially if the 3-6 new playable characters rumor is true.

And that's where my theory that some characters that were planned for Brawl but were dropped comes in. Remember the original when six characters {Bowser, Peach, Meowth, Mewtwo, Pit, King Dedede} were planned but were later dropped? All except Meowth have been playable in either Melee or Brawl. Meta-Knight and Solid Snake were considered for Melee (Meta-Knight even planned), but were scrapped. Both are in Brawl for us to play with.

We have six/seven characters planned for Brawl that were planned, but did not make it. They were Mewtwo, Roy, Dr. Mario (Possibly as an alternate costume), the hypothetical Minun and Plusle team (Which I suspected was made to replace Pichu), Toon Zelda/Sheik, and Dixie Kong. Notice again that planned characters from previous games made it into it's successors. I'm not saying that they will all make it into SSB4, but I am saying that don't be surprise if at least one of these make it into SSB4. Sakurai/Nintendo/Sora Ltd. probably wanted these characters in for a reason.

ChronoBound

Smash Hero
Actually guys, it was just found out that the Beem name was an elaborate hoax by some guy named Aaron Carr at IGN. I guess we are back to waiting to see the true name for Wii 2/ Cafe.

Deiyn

Smash Rookie
Has anyone thought of having Castlevania in it? If Konami was in Brawl (via Snake), then why not? Sure there aren't any ground breaking titles atm, but I could easily see Simon Belmont, Alucard, or even Soma Cruz fighting the regulars.

The move set for Simon should be a piece of cake, likely resembling a mixture of Zero Suit and Link. You know, a-attacks will be his cool whip stuff and b-attacks would be the holy water, cross-boomerang, knives like Shiek's needles (with slower charge/higher damage?), ect.

Although, It would be more likely Soma or Alucard would be used because they would be more interesting, another swordsman if Fire Emblem only has Marth now. Multi-weapon wielding (Snake), monster summon/throwing (DeDeDe), all kinds of stuff.

New chick in the latest DS adventure would probably be even cooler, since she does things in a completly different fashion all MP wise.

But I think that everyone can agree, the Castlevania stages would be epic!

Starphoenix

NNID
GalaxyPhoenix
3DS FC
2122-6914-9465
Actually guys, it was just found out that the Beem name was an elaborate hoax by some guy named Aaron Carr at IGN. I guess we are back to waiting to see the true name for Wii 2/ Cafe.
Well man, that was fast. I know what two names to not name my children now.

So back to square one we go... Not that I'm to disappointed. Beem was to close to "bean" for me... >_>

augustoflores

Smash Hero
NNID
augustoflores
3DS FC
4828-5782-2252
Switch FC
SW-2867-0942-2202
not to mention Alucard is returning in CastleVania Symphony of the Night 2 (or some strangely attractive subtitle)

Hoots

Can Be Combative
Jesus. Why do these people take the time to make elaborate hoaxes just for luls? Well I am just going to hope that Nintendo has the business sense to not screw us over.

BlueSuperSonic1

Smash Journeyman
Has anyone thought of having Castlevania in there? If Konami was in Brawl (via Snake), then why not? Sure there aren't any ground breaking titles atm, but I could easily see Simon Belmont, Alucard, or even Soma Cruz fighting the regulars.

The move set for Simon should be a piece of cake, likely resembling a mixture of Zero Suit and Link. You know, a-attacks will be his cool whip stuff and b-attacks would be the holy water, cross-boomerang, knives like Shiek's needles (with slower charge/higher damage?), ect.

Although, It would be more likely Soma or Alucard would be used because they would be more interesting, if they only had ONE Fire Emblem character. Multi-weapon wielding (Snake), monster summon/throwing (DeDeDe), all kinds of stuff.
It's a Nintendo fighting game. Therefore, Konami should only have one representative at most. Therefore, if Snake stays, no Castlevania character will get in.

Jaklub

Smash Journeyman
@up: Brawl is the only SSB game to have third parties. In fact, we don't know what will happen in next games - it could have been a single case that won't happen again, maybe some "1 company/series - 1 fighter" system, or in next games chosen third party series will have various number of fighters. We actually don't know.
This made me happy.

D

Deleted member

And I thought we were so close.

I still think it'll be called Stream.

augustoflores

Smash Hero
NNID
augustoflores
3DS FC
4828-5782-2252
Switch FC
SW-2867-0942-2202
bluesonic... imma direct you to this again... not sure if you read it but it is a post i had stated some time yesterday. it regards guest characters and what it means to be a guest character... i bolded my favorite line.
unfortunately, practically the entire fanbase of super smash brothers dislike the dropping of characters. they are scared that if a character gets dropped, they will never see that character in any smash bros. in the future installments. dropping snake and sonic is something only the brave of heart are capable of doing to their own fan rosters.
the word Guest doesn't faze them much and they usually use an excuse like "smash is not soul calibur", which is blasphemous considering all games are basically products and art.

i myself fear that sonic won't return and i half want him to GTFO as he is a guest... basically, it's like a guest who just happens to be a squatter. refusing to leave your house after he was invited for one night of party.
in a universe where he does return, i'd prefer Knuckles over Tails and Sonic's moves not to center spinning... he has a perfect moveset on Sonic Battle. why not use that.

seriously, Hal Laboratory (or whoever) needs to hire 3 user extremists that know what's what with the characters that they selected and what they should have done to this n' that. like that sonic battle thing that i mentioned. then the dev team gets to work on fixing. i seriously doubt the dev team knows certain important things about the characters they work with.

well, this is my research.
but then again, what do i know. im just a peon and smash is a product.

Steam

Smash Hero
Meta-Knight was planned for SSBM, but was dropped. Like Snake, he made it into Brawl. It is still possible that Mewtwo and/or Roy could return for SSB4, especially if the 3-6 new playable characters rumor is true.

And that's where my theory that some characters that were planned for Brawl but were dropped comes in. Remember the original when six characters {Bowser, Peach, Meowth, Mewtwo, Pit, King Dedede} were planned but were later dropped? All except Meowth have been playable in either Melee or Brawl. Meta-Knight and Solid Snake were considered for Melee (Meta-Knight even planned), but were scrapped. Both are in Brawl for us to play with.

We have six/seven characters planned for Brawl that were planned, but did not make it. They were Mewtwo, Roy, Dr. Mario (Possibly as an alternate costume), the hypothetical Minun and Plusle team (Which I suspected was made to replace Pichu), Toon Zelda/Sheik, and Dixie Kong. Notice again that planned characters from previous games made it into it's successors. I'm not saying that they will all make it into SSB4, but I am saying that don't be surprise if at least one of these make it into SSB4. Sakurai/Nintendo/Sora Ltd. probably wanted these characters in for a reason.
again that's different. Meta knight is one of the staples of the franchise and there is no equivalent of him as he was not "replaced" (I hate that word) by anyone. There's an essential equivalent to roy and mewtwo that made it into brawl and there's no reason they should make it ahead of them now especially since they'd likely fall to 3rd on priority if another FE/pokemon character came about. Also there was the whole roy being a clone thing.

edit: **** calling it Stream, too close to Steam

Kantrip

Kantplay
The speed of this thread...

IT BURNS!!!

The rumors are flying already, it's crazy. We've gotten to the assumption stage now, everyone. Now people will begin to think they know the rules, when clearly we've only had 3 games in the series that have not followed any patterns. (Who was removed from 64 to make room for Melee?)

Deiyn

Smash Rookie
It's a Nintendo fighting game. Therefore, Konami should only have one representative at most. Therefore, if Snake stays, no Castlevania character will get in.
That would be a shame too, lol, I love Snake. One of my friends thought it was idiotic to put Snake in. It entertains me to no end to play as him on purpose.

UberMario

Smash Master
I wouldn't be bothered by the name "Beem", after all, no one complains about the names "PlayStation", "TurboGrafx", "Dreamcast" or "Xbox".

I still am hoping that Stream is the final name.

augustoflores

Smash Hero
NNID
augustoflores
3DS FC
4828-5782-2252
Switch FC
SW-2867-0942-2202
i have a wii bit of a confession to make... i hate the Miis. the miis are a product of upside down W and without the wii name, why should we still have Miis running around? it is highly likely they are still around in the next platform, much to my chagrin.

Jaklub

Smash Journeyman
i have a wii bit of a confession to make... i hate the Miis. the miis are a product of upside down W and without the wii name, why should we still have Miis running around? it is highly likely they are still around in the next platform, much to my chagrin.
I sooo agree with this.

@UberMario: Every name has some kind of explanation behind it. Even Wii has one, but Beem? What the hell. I can just imagine a ******** 4-years-old screaming "BEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEeeiMMMMMMMMMM" when I think about this. "Beaming the games"? Still, it sounds bad. Just like Wii did years ago, but we got used to it.
Anyway, good thing Beem thing is gone.

UberMario

Smash Master
If you look at game systems, you'll find that the majority have very silly names. Sega is one of the few that really was creative.

If the [1st] Game Boy was being revealed tomorrow, would you still think that Game Boy is a cool name?

Jaklub

Smash Journeyman
Video game consoles have less or more silly names (Game Boy being one of more), but Wii and Beem are just too weird. At least they're easy to remember and speak in many languages, which as far as I know was Nintendo's goal (in case of Wii, because Beem is happily not happening).

augustoflores

Smash Hero
NNID
augustoflores
3DS FC
4828-5782-2252
Switch FC
SW-2867-0942-2202
i just wish all the rumors are false regarding the name... i want the new name to be something we can't come up with from speculation... this way, no one was right.

UberMario

Smash Master
Being too weird never stopped the creators of the Colecovision, Wonderswan or Gizmondo. lol poor marketing did

Deiyn

Smash Rookie
I thought Game & Watch was sort of silly, but probably not as funny as Famicom (Family Computer) was the name of the NES in Japan.

I really hope that it that Project M doens't look as awful as supposed leaks suggest,

As for SSB4, I sincerely hope online play becomes as robust as other system's games such as Halo.

Big-Cat

Challenge accepted.
NNID
KumaOso
3DS FC
1590-4853-0104
I'm not gonna read the last couple of pages for obvious reasons, but Toise bringing up that big 4Chan post, I remembered something I saw the other day. The underlined statement of there being a new Snatcher game which is all but confirmed at this point to be in the works.

So what are we talking about now? Why should I bother asking though, I got work tonight and I won't be back by midnight and I'll either see Ridley, Toad, or Lucario/Mewtwo.

ChronoBound

Smash Hero
Here is the exact Round Cactus post in which he/she/it brings up Super Smash Bros. Paradise:

Big-Cat

Challenge accepted.
NNID
KumaOso
3DS FC
1590-4853-0104
Crap, this game is gonna be even more casual than Brawl.

Jaklub

Smash Journeyman
lol I have to say I wouldn't have anything against return of good ol' 64 style, like that Cactus rumor says.

What worries me about that rumor is Paradise title. Does it mean we'd get those god-awful generic stages not only in story mode, but as arenas as well? :/

But to be honest, I don't think it will happen. I wouldn't worry about "casuallness" of SSB4, though. I believe Nintendo is aware that they have to appeal to hardcore gamers or else they will die their sales will be going down. I saw nothing bad in Brawl, but I think next game will be at least a bit closer to Melee.

Can't wait for E3 this year.

okay, enough editing, I'm going away for a while.

ChronoBound

Smash Hero
Crap, this game is gonna be even more casual than Brawl.
Well, I am more disappointed in the lack of newcomers. They could of at least shown ONE Nintendo newcomer.

Well here is a list of the confirmed characters for Smash 4 according to Round Cactus for those who don't want to strain their eyes reading the image I posted. I find it funny how Snake is in the debut trailer and not Sonic.

Confirmed characters for Smash Bros. Paradise:
- Mario
- Donkey Kong
- Link
- Yoshi
- Kirby
- Pikachu
- Captain Falcon
- Peach

Returning Brawl veterans:
- Lucas
- Pit (mentioned in another Round Cactus post about the game)
- Snake (yes Snake is back)

Newcomer:
- Mega Man Volnutt (Trigger)

Starphoenix

NNID
GalaxyPhoenix
3DS FC
2122-6914-9465
Well, I am more disappointed in the lack of newcomers. They could of at least shown ONE Nintendo newcomer.

Well here is a list of the confirmed characters for Smash 4 according to Round Cactus for those who don't want to strain their eyes reading the image I posted. I find it funny how Snake is in the debut trailer and not Sonic.

Confirmed characters for Smash Bros. Paradise:
- Mario
- Donkey Kong
- Link
- Yoshi
- Kirby
- Pikachu
- Captain Falcon
- Peach

Returning Brawl veterans:
- Lucas
- Pit (mentioned in another Round Cactus post about the game)
- Snake (yes Snake is back)

Newcomer:
- Mega Man Volnutt (Trigger)
Was about to mention the thing about Snake. Somehow this gives me more hope for third party representation, don't ask me why?

Is it at all possible the whole "Paradise" surname was just more of a joke title than an actual one? Given the video?

D

Deleted member

"Starphoenix said:
If we get 5-6 newcomers I expect to see us losing some characters from Brawl to "Paradise".
I think I see one way how this would make sense now. If the next game was on the 3DS instead of Project Cafe, then since the 3DS can't handle as much as Project Cafe, we shouldn't expect as many character playable as we did in Brawl. This only makes sense if it's on the 3DS.
Here is the exact Round Cactus post in which he/she/it brings up Super Smash Bros. Paradise:

For a guy that people take seriously, I'm sure not seeing it as based off that, it looks a lot more like a rumor then actually evidence. My beefs with this rumor:

- This is from 4Chan and I don't remember 4Chan being a good place for finding video game leaks; it's more of a place where troll gathers to attack lulzworthy people like Chris Chan.

- As I say below, no new Nintendo newcomers? This is a Nintendo game, a Nintendo game where characters from the Nintendo universe (And a few others from different companies as of Brawl) gather together to fight one another. If they aren't going to have a new Nintendo newcomer come along in the teaser trailer, then it contradicts the point of the series.

- When does Kirby come up all of a sudden? There was no way to expect that he was coming from that way and he had no involvement in the volleyball game.

- How this is presented is unprofessional. From what I get here, it doesn't sound like evidence that a game is coming, but just a rumor he came up with so that he can get us all excited for the next game and then we are let down when no SSB4 is announced or still get burned if SSB4's teaser trailer is different from his description.

- I don't think the trailer will be rated E and then the game T.

So as you can see, I find it quite unlikely for this rumor to be true. There's not really anything that really screams valid here and will probably end up to be a somewhat infamous rumor once E3 2011 comes and goes if even that. Ironically enough, it's either this or no SSB4 at E3 2011; so we have no choice but to wait and see.
ChronoBound said:
This is the main reason why I have my doubts about this rumor. How does it make sense for them to show a new third-party character, but not a new Nintendo character as playable? Plus Mega Man Volnutt is nowhere near as wanted as classic Mega Man. It could be true, but I smell BS.
ChronoBound said:
I find it funny how Snake is in the debut trailer and not Sonic.
I think it has to do with the fact that Snake was the first third-party character in the game.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom