• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

[Official SSB4 Discussion] --- Nintendo announces 2 new Smash games!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Big-Cat

Challenge accepted.
NNID
KumaOso
3DS FC
1590-4853-0104
- "Naninani... M-Minna!": I believe Mega Man Volnutt can speak. I don't think he would just make up some random words that doesn't exist in the English/Japanese dictionary.
That's Japanese he's speaking. I don't know the language quite well (or much at all for that matter), but I can tell you that an English equivalent would be.

"Wh-what?! Hey guys!"

Arcadenik

Smash Legend
NNID
Arcadenik
Well, I am more disappointed in the lack of newcomers. They could of at least shown ONE Nintendo newcomer.

Well here is a list of the confirmed characters for Smash 4 according to Round Cactus for those who don't want to strain their eyes reading the image I posted. I find it funny how Snake is in the debut trailer and not Sonic.

Confirmed characters for Smash Bros. Paradise:
- Mario
- Donkey Kong
- Link
- Yoshi
- Kirby
- Pikachu
- Captain Falcon
- Peach

Returning Brawl veterans:
- Lucas
- Pit (mentioned in another Round Cactus post about the game)
- Snake (yes Snake is back)

Newcomer:
- Mega Man Volnutt (Trigger)
Ahh! I see that Kojima is still licking up Sakurai's Snake... assuming that this rumor is true, of course! :p

Well, Mega Man Volnutt took me by surprise! It is almost like some sort of weird amalgamation of Snake and Sonic when you stop and think about it. Snake took us by surprise and Sonic had a high fan demand... so how do they surprise us with a character who has a high fan demand? They put in another version of said character. LOL But at least it is NOT MegaMan.EXE or the ones from those ZX and Starforce games... assuming that this rumor is true, of course!

I'd be surprised if they replaced one third-party character with high fan demand (Sonic) with another (Mega Man) but I wouldn't be disappointed about it either way. Smash is Nintendo's crossover fighting game, not a "crossover fighting game for video games in general" game. :)

If this rumor is true, could it be possible that Lucas has finally replaced Ness once and for all? I am not upset about the notion of removing Ness or Lucas, I just had a feeling that it was inevitable. They were pretty similar but they played very differently... but Lucas is a bit more newer than Ness so I wouldn't be surprised if Ness finally got the boot.

Still, the tropical setting of this rumored debut trailer has left me a bit suspicious... I find it hard to believe that they would make a scene that takes place on a beach and Starfy is nowhere to be found. Starfy would have fitted right in there! Could it be possible that this Cactus person has deliberately omitted Starfy from the list? I mean, a SSB4 debut trailer with ONLY ONE newcomer? Come on now!

One more thing... why Peach? Why not show Bowser, Luigi, or even Wario? Why specifically Peach? Unless Peach is there to use Toad as a shield (deconfirming Toad) or Peach attempts to use Toad as a shield but Toad turns on her (confirming Toad and Cactus just omitted Toad from the list)...

And lastly, notice that Pit is back? Either he is going in there solo again or he may call Palutena in as a backup (confirming Palutena and Cactus just omitted Palutena from the list).

Who knows? I am just rambling and just getting all my opinions out there in the open, but who knows what's true and what's not?

ChronoBound

Smash Hero
Ahh! I see that Kojima is still licking up Sakurai's Snake... assuming that this rumor is true, of course! :p

Well, Mega Man Volnutt took me by surprise! It is almost like some sort of weird amalgamation of Snake and Sonic when you stop and think about it. Snake took us by surprise and Sonic had a high fan demand... so how do they surprise us with a character who has a high fan demand? They put in another version of said character. LOL But at least it is NOT MegaMan.EXE or the ones from those ZX and Starforce games... assuming that this rumor is true, of course!

I'd be surprised if they replaced one third-party character with high fan demand (Sonic) with another (Mega Man) but I wouldn't be disappointed about it either way. Smash is Nintendo's crossover fighting game, not a "crossover fighting game for video games in general" game. :)

If this rumor is true, could it be possible that Lucas has finally replaced Ness once and for all? I am not upset about the notion of removing Ness or Lucas, I just had a feeling that it was inevitable. They were pretty similar but they played very differently... but Lucas is a bit more newer than Ness so I wouldn't be surprised if Ness finally got the boot.

Still, the tropical setting of this rumored debut trailer has left me a bit suspicious... I find it hard to believe that they would make a scene that takes place on a beach and Starfy is nowhere to be found. Starfy would have fitted right in there! Could it be possible that this Cactus person has deliberately omitted Starfy from the list? I mean, a SSB4 debut trailer with ONLY ONE newcomer? Come on now!

One more thing... why Peach? Why not show Bowser, Luigi, or even Wario? Why specifically Peach? Unless Peach is there to use Toad as a shield (deconfirming Toad) or Peach attempts to use Toad as a shield but Toad turns on her (confirming Toad and Cactus just omitted Toad from the list)...

And lastly, notice that Pit is back? Either he is going in there solo again or he may call Palutena in as a backup (confirming Palutena and Cactus just omitted Palutena from the list).

Who knows? I am just rambling and just getting all my opinions out there in the open, but who knows what's true and what's not?
Nope, the only newcomer is going to be Volnutt. I think we have now hit the point in the series where will be looking at smaller roster than its predecessor (or at least a very small roster increase over Brawl). I think if Ness is cut, Jigglypuff will almost certainly get the boot too. There must have been a reason why Jiggly went from the first character you unlocked in 64 and Melee to among the last in Brawl. I don't think Ness and Jigglypuff should be cut, but if Sakurai is going to struggle with getting the roster to the amount of characters that Brawl had, then there will almost certainly be some "painful" cuts.

I still think that classic Mega Man should have been in over Volnutt. Volnutt seems to be an advertisement for Legends 3, basically a Lucario or Roy, except for a third-party slot.

Spydr Enzo

Smash Ace
..... .. . .. ..... ..
I really, REALLY hope that this Round Cactus rumor isn't true.

First of all, the eight veterans he talked about included Peach... and not Samus or Fox? Out of all characters including these two, plus other Mario related characters like Luigi, Wario, and Bowser, why show Peach? Especially over Samus and Fox.

I really doubt Ness would be cut for Lucas. If either of them ever gets the boot, it will be Lucas, considering all that Ness has going for him. Lucas may be newer, but Ness is international, plus his game sold the most out of the series, even more than the other two in Japan (not to mention Lucas' game sold the least in the series). Furthermore, Ness has been in Smash since the beginning, so his overall Smash fanbse is probably much bigger. What else does Lucas have going for him besides being newer?

Another thing I doubt is Megaman replacing Sonic. They are both high-demand third parties, and that is exactly why it would be stupid to cut Sonic just to bring in a new high-demand third party. If any third-party character gets cut, it'll most likely be Snake. And why not Classic Megaman? He is so much more recognizable and popular!

Finally, if this was real, more newcomers would probably be revealed.

Arcadenik

Smash Legend
NNID
Arcadenik
Now that I think about it... why should "adding newer characters over older characters" only apply to Fire Emblem and Pokemon? Why not extend it to the rest like Mother and even Golden Sun (Matthew/Isaac) and Sin & Punishment (Isa/Saki)? These are the series where the protagonists are different in each game.

BirthNote

Smash Master
NNID
GeneticDestiny
You know, I liked 'Strife', but apparently 'Paradise' is making SSBS seem to be just BS. I guess its whatever then. If this name is actually true and the trailer is too, I will have a huge grin on my face.

EDIT: If not, then GREAT--we get to speculate without concrete info for a while longer.

Bassoonist

Smash Master
NNID
WoodwindsRock
3DS FC
1032-1351-5240
Is it really time to start thinking of Super Smash Bros. 4 for real?

I'm hoping it is announced at E3, but I don't believe this "Paradise" rumor. Or the truth is I don't want to believe it... It has no Isaac/Matthew in it. =P

No, but seriously, the name "Paradise" doesn't fit. That alone is enough to make this seem fake. Also the fact that there are no new Nintendo characters, as has been mentioned in this topic.

I hope we do see a SSB4, but not "Paradise".

Hoots

Can Be Combative
It seems like quite the about face to go from Brawl which was epic to Paradise that appears to be goofy and anime. The horror. I hope to the magical space wizard that the rumor is false.

:phone:

ToiseOfChoice

Smash Ace
Oh boy, you guys are still acknowledging the Round Cactus stuff.

Entertaining the possibility that those posts might be right is worse than eating cigarettes, by the way.

xXIke-SamaXx

Smash Lord
NNID
Azureflame92
Wait the best thing is to not comment and not feel bad it might be true I'm already disappointed the Ike isn't in the trailer.... but dies that mean the game will suck who know just wait till E3. It is unwise to disfact this rumor because it might be very true specially than (snatcher and Contra) were kind of confirmed...

xXIke-SamaXx

Smash Lord
NNID
Azureflame92
Wait the best thing is to not comment and not feel bad it might be true I'm already disappointed the Ike isn't in the trailer.... but dies that mean the game will suck who know just wait till E3. It is unwise to dis fact this rumor because it might be very true specially than (snatcher and Contra) were kind of confirmed...

edit: sorry for the double post...

Arcadenik

Smash Legend
NNID
Arcadenik
Well, at least the Round Cactus stuff are giving us something new to discuss other than the old-and-tired Ridley debates, Toad vs. Bowser Jr. debates, Pokemon debates, casual vs. competitive debates, etc.

ChronoBound

Smash Hero
Oh boy, you guys are still acknowledging the Round Cactus stuff.

Entertaining the possibility that those posts might be right is worse than eating cigarettes, by the way.
We will find out in three days tops. However, I am still bothered by there being only one newcomer for the unveil.

Melee's unveil: Four newcomers (Peach, Bowser, Sheik, Ice Climbers)
Brawl's unveil: Five newcomers (Meta Knight, Pit, Wario, Zero Suit Samus, Snake)
Smash 4's unveil: One newcomer?

The trailer also does not show any new gameplay mechanics like Brawl's unveil did (Final Smashes and Assist Trophies). Is the Smash series finally stagnating?

augustoflores

Smash Hero
NNID
augustoflores
3DS FC
4828-5782-2252
Switch FC
SW-2867-0942-2202
im back... i've got few things to say (not really... i got lots to say)

I'm Round Cactus *shot*

*ahem* Spydr... you used too many algorithms... i'm sorry if you don't know what i'm talking about.

okay... is it fair to suggest this is a teaser trailer? if you look at Marvel vs Capcom 3, the first we see is Ryu, Wolverine, Chris, Hulk, Iron Man and Morrigan... i think Dormammu was in the very first trailer but i can't remember...

saying this, is it fair to suggest that Trigger is the only newcomer? Chris Redfield was the only new one in the first trailer for MvC3. there is nothing wrong with that.

with that being said, Arcade, you mention why peach; i'll tell you why peach, because she was there with mario... you think bowser would be having fun with mario? think!! and quit thinking with your heart! forget about toad!

one more thing, i hope paradise is for 3DS and Strife is for The Stream.

i believe i am yielding to the Priick.

xXIke-SamaXx

Smash Lord
NNID
Azureflame92

I'm Round Cactus *shot*

*ahem* Spydr... you used too many algorithms... i'm sorry if you don't know what i'm talking about.

okay... is it fair to suggest this is a teaser trailer? if you look at Marvel vs Capcom 3, the first we see is Ryu, Wolverine, Chris, Hulk, Iron Man and Morrigan... i think Dormammu was in the very first trailer but i can't remember...

saying this, is it fair to suggest that Trigger is the only newcomer? Chris Redfield was the only new one in the first trailer for MvC3. there is nothing wrong with that.

with that being said, Arcade, you mention why peach; i'll tell you why peach, because she was there with mario... you think bowser would be having fun with mario? think!! and quit thinking with your heart! forget about toad!

one more thing, i hope paradise is for 3DS and Strife is for The Stream.

i believe i am yielding to the Priick.
FFS, Stop comparing SSB to ****ing MvC 3 ....

BirthNote

Smash Master
NNID
GeneticDestiny
Well, at least the Round Cactus stuff are giving us something new to discuss other than the old-and-tired Ridley debates, Toad vs. Bowser Jr. debates, Pokemon debates, casual vs. competitive debates, etc.
Sorry about this, but I have a quick question: If they cut Jigglypuff and returned Mewtwo, would there be more positive responses or negative?

Onward to Volnutt, I actually thought it would be the Classic Megaman to make it in. He has more of a history, but if this is true, then I guess Kirby will be the only copycat in Smash.

EDIT: I'm leaving this rumor alone now.

Spydr Enzo

Smash Ace
(Of course I know what you're talking about...)

Hehe... I know I did, but I've pretty much given up on a lot of them. I'm the type of person who likes to find order and organization in things, and that's probably why. But just wondering... what were you specifically referring to with this comment?

And I never thought about the possibility of there being a SSB on the 3DS and an SSB on the Cafe... but that seems pretty unlikely. If there is going to be an SSB on the 3DS in any form, there better be a SSB on the Cafe first.

EDIT: I've also noticed that a lot of people here are talking about the Round Cactus rumor like it's been confirmed to be true... stop it! You're scaring me!

xXIke-SamaXx

Smash Lord
NNID
Azureflame92
(Of course I know what you're talking about...)

Hehe... I know I did, but I've pretty much given up on a lot of them. I'm the type of person who likes to find order and organization in things, and that's probably why. But just wondering... what were you specifically referring to with this comment?

And I never thought about the possibility of there being a SSB on the 3DS and an SSB on the Cafe... but that seems pretty unlikely. If there is going to be an SSB on the 3DS in any form, there better be a SSB on the Cafe first.

EDIT: I've also noticed that a lot of people here are talking about the Round Cactus rumor like it's been confirmed to be true... stop it! You're scaring me!
Part of it is confirmed....

Arcadenik

Smash Legend
NNID
Arcadenik
Sorry about this, but I have a quick question: If they cut Jigglypuff and returned Mewtwo, would there be more positive responses or negative?

Onward to Volnutt, I actually thought it would be the Classic Megaman to make it in. He has more of a history, but if this is true, then I guess Kirby will be the only copycat in Smash.
Honestly, I can only answer for myself. I would be happy if they cut Jigglypuff and brought back Mewtwo. I want Mewtwo more than I want Jigglypuff even though I really liked her playstyle but really, her time's up already. It's time to give the spotlight to the other more iconic and noteworthy Pokemon.

Now that I think about it, you might be right that, assuming this rumor is true, Kirby would be the only copycat in Smash since MegaMan Volnutt doesn't copy moves. I think it would have cost the developers and programmers a lot of time trying to incorporate copy attacks for Mega Man or even X. It makes sense, right?

xXIke-SamaXx

Smash Lord
NNID
Azureflame92
This list includes: a new mini-game collection, Mario Kart, Super Smash Bros. 4, Endless Ocean, Pikmin, Kirby, a new Zelda collection, Animal Crossing, Kid Icarus, Donkey Kong Country, Super Mario., Dead Rising 2, Street Fighter 4, Resident Evil 5 "or something that looked like it," Silent Hill Downpour, a new Suda51 game that is "not No More Heroes" but is about "something hunting demons," "some mech game," Trauma Center: Current Crisis, Soul Calibur, Tekken, GTA V, Final Fantasy: Crystal Chronicles, "some Metal Gear Solid game where you play as a girl," "some cyber punk game" that looks like Snatcher, Gradius, Contra, Castlevania, and "Fallout 3 or 4."

It mentioned Contra and game that looked like Snatcher.

The next day Contra was teased at the Konami conference and if you watched the conference closely you will notice something else.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7Bvyq8S46O0&feature=player_embedded#at=56

now that has got to be more than just a coincidence right?
Posted by BlackNMild2k1 and NWA staff member...

As you can see this is where we got the confirmation....

augustoflores

Smash Hero
NNID
augustoflores
3DS FC
4828-5782-2252
Switch FC
SW-2867-0942-2202
those lazy bastaards!!

cool! i didn't know that &at=# youtube trick... and now i know

Spydr Enzo

Smash Ace
the former...
Gotcha....

Honestly, I can only answer for myself. I would be happy if they cut Jigglypuff and brought back Mewtwo. I want Mewtwo more than I want Jigglypuff even though I really liked her playstyle but really, her time's up already. It's time to give the spotlight to the other more iconic and noteworthy Pokemon.
I hate to agree that her "time is up" and she should be replaced by more recent iconic Pokemon, but being the sentimental and nostalgic person I am, I'd hate to see her leave the series in the end, considering she's been around since the beginning.

Posted by BlackNMild2k1 and NWA staff member...

As you can see this is where we got the confirmation....
That list of games in the quotes in your posts above... how exactly do we now that is confirmed? What is the significance of the person who originally posted it? It seems just like the same list of rumored "E3 shows" that we've been hearing about since late April.

xXIke-SamaXx

Smash Lord
NNID
Azureflame92
Gotcha....

I hate to agree that her "time is up" and she should be replaced by more recent iconic Pokemon, but being the sentimental and nostalgic person I am, I'd hate to see her leave the series in the end, considering she's been around since the beginning.

That list of games in the quotes in your posts above... how exactly do we now that is confirmed? What is the significance of the person who originally posted it? It seems just like the same list of rumored "E3 shows" that we've been hearing about since late April.
I heard he is the same person who accurately got 3DS news before reveal...

BirthNote

Smash Master
NNID
GeneticDestiny
@Arcadenik
I wouldn't mind either way, but I thought it would be interesting to hear (or more acurrately read the opinions of) others.

@Spydr
...Even for Mewtwo? Just askin'. I don't really want to get to a big discussion about it, cuz we have the oppurtunity to discuss other things, but I'm just wondering.

Another quick thought: has anyone ever thought of "Frenzy", "Fury", "Riot", or "Chaos"? I like Fury/Frenzy the most as well as Riot, because they all seem like a step up from "Brawl". Were those ever mentioned in this thread?

Spydr Enzo

Smash Ace
@Spydr
...Even for Mewtwo? Just askin'. I don't really want to get to a big discussion about it, cuz we have the oppurtunity to discuss other things, but I'm just wondering.

Another quick thought: has anyone ever thought of "Frenzy", "Fury", "Riot", or "Chaos"? I like Fury/Frenzy the most as well as Riot, because they all seem like a step up from "Brawl". Were those ever mentioned in this thread?
Well... I actually think it's pretty possible (and maybe likely) that both could return. But if I absolutely HAD to choose between the two, I'd say Mewtwo. His play-style is just as unique as Jiggly's anyway, and he is also a familiar and popular (most likely more familiar and popular) first-generation Pokemon.

I've heard Riot a lot, but I don't like it as much as Frenzy or Chaos. I'd actually prefer Clash or Rumble. ANYTHING over... "Paradise".....:sick:

D

Deleted member

@xXIke=SamaXx: That confirms the game; it doesn't confirm it'll be Super Smash Bros. Paradise. Would be interesting if it did happen, thought, but the name seems unrealistic to me.

My personal favorite name is Clash.

Nope, the only newcomer is going to be Volnutt. I think we have now hit the point in the series where will be looking at smaller roster than its predecessor (or at least a very small roster increase over Brawl). I think if Ness is cut, Jigglypuff will almost certainly get the boot too. There must have been a reason why Jiggly went from the first character you unlocked in 64 and Melee to among the last in Brawl. I don't think Ness and Jigglypuff should be cut, but if Sakurai is going to struggle with getting the roster to the amount of characters that Brawl had, then there will almost certainly be some "painful" cuts.
- :scared: I hope that you're wrong about the character roster remaining below 40. It's not that hard to imagine a roster in the early 40s, especially considering that DLC will likely be in the play in the next installment.

- I believe it's merely a coincidence that Jigglypuff is one of the last characters to unlock. Characters IMO are dropped because they are poorly executed or are clones that can't really be decloned to an reasonable extent and the cut Melee characters were unlocked in different orders.

- I think that we will see at least a roster in the early 40s. Only clones such as Lucas and characters that I believe have other issues such as Lucario have a noticeable chance of getting cut. Characters that are unique and are popular will almost certainly make it to SSB4. And if good, unique characters like Ness get cut, they'll received a lot of scathing messages for it. Just look at how many people despise Mega Man being cut from Marvel Vs. Capcom 3. They had good reasons as well, as Mega Man was expected to be in that game.
..... .. . .. ..... ..
I really, REALLY hope that this Round Cactus rumor isn't true.
I'm more of mixed on the rumor if it does come true. On the one hand, we'll probably get DLC for more playable characters and I'm sure people will buy them, regardless if they're free or they cost a few bucks plus it's nice to see the Smash series try a different direction and go back to it's roots a little. On the other hand, this doesn't look good for the character roster and it forces us to lower our expectations even more then we're comfortable to do. I want the game to be as best as it can and compromising the character roster is a huge no-no.
Now that I think about it... why should "adding newer characters over older characters" only apply to Fire Emblem and Pokemon? Why not extend it to the rest like Mother and even Golden Sun (Matthew/Isaac) and Sin & Punishment (Isa/Saki)? These are the series where the protagonists are different in each game.
I can see where you're coming from in Golden Sun and Sin & Punishment, but cutting Ness in favor of Lucas is a horrible idea. Lucas has yet to have his game come out of Japan while Ness has had his game in North America and Japan, not to mention has been in Smash a lot longer then Lucas.
Arcadenik said:
Jigglypuff is the second most popular Pokemon character. Both are good characters and are deserving of a Smash rep, but Jigglypuff should have priority over Mewtwo over the fact that he is more important to the Smash Bros. series then Mewtwo.

BirthNote

Smash Master
NNID
GeneticDestiny
Heh, Clash gives me the idea of swordfighting. I don't dislike it though.

Why would you argue about a proper name.... Games just to be good to be bought I wouldn't give a damn about a name....
If you have a new topic, feel free to bring it up. I doubt we were arguing btw.

Anyway, thanks Arcadenik, Spydr and SSB Fan for your Mewtwo or Jigglypuff opinions.

BirthNote

Smash Master
NNID
GeneticDestiny
Other than Special Throws (originally suggested thousands of pages back by someone who isn't me), I can't really think of any unless there's a new controller.

xXIke-SamaXx

Smash Lord
NNID
Azureflame92
what about making more complex move (not like SF) but make an Angle move with"A" button and make all the characters Side B to be like Marth's where you do a series of combos and than shifting to another move depending on you input the joystick and who has the charging attack keep it...

augustoflores

Smash Hero
NNID
augustoflores
3DS FC
4828-5782-2252
Switch FC
SW-2867-0942-2202
that's been discussed too... by someone other than me. it didn't sell well within the circle

D

Deleted member

I think it would be interesting to see each character with the ability for six specials + Final Smash. The two extra specials would be B + Up and Left/Right and B + Down and Left/Right. It would spice up the game a bit and give each characters more to work with.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom