• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

[Official SSB4 Discussion] --- Nintendo announces 2 new Smash games!

Status
Not open for further replies.

refugee

Smash Journeyman
You didn't say anything about that in your edit, you only mentioned that you couldn't find the spot where the OP mentioned Ness and Lucas.

But yeah, it's a brilliant post and should be edited into the first page of this thread.
My bad for being so vague and yes I agree this should be on the first page!

refugee

Smash Journeyman
Hope I can handle it... if we get another rush of newcomers all of a sudden, I'm getting out of here!
And just for the record I'm not a newcomer when it comes to discussions about smash. In fact, I'm not even a newcomer to this site. I just haven't posted as much as you guys but I do have a lot of experience talking about smash.

Spydr Enzo

Smash Ace
And just for the record I'm not a newcomer when it comes to discussions about smash. In fact, I'm not even a newcomer to this site. I just haven't posted as much as you guys but I do have a lot of experience talking about smash.
Hehe, don't worry. Obviously you've been here longer than me. I don't care about post counts, I just look at the join date. Still, I don't judge. That is, I don't judge until I see someone who just joined with a post count of 3 saying something like "TAILS, KNUCKLES, SHADOW, SILVER, AMY, and GENO for BRAWLZ 2!!!!!!!"

It's nice seeing more intelligent posters like yourself show-up here more often, but the amounts that have been showing up lately are more than anything I remember experiencing in the time that I've been here. It just gets overwhelming, that's all! :bee:

refugee

Smash Journeyman
Hehe, don't worry. Obviously you've been here longer than me. I don't care about post counts, I just look at the join date. Still, I don't judge. That is, I don't judge until I see someone who just joined with a post count of 3 saying something like "TAILS, KNUCKLES, SHADOW, SILVER, AMY, and GENO for BRAWLZ 2!!!!!!!"

It's nice seeing more intelligent posters like yourself show-up here more often, but the amounts that have been showing up lately are more than anything I remember experiencing in the time that I've been here. It just gets overwhelming, that's all! :bee:
Lol I'm sorry, if a 4th smash bros does get announced and I start seeing those posts everywhere I'm going back to rage mode and there won't be any turning back. : P

Yes I don't really make judgments on the amount of posts someone has either but the content of their posts. I actually thought the majority of you guys were here before Brawl was released by the quality of them. :D

D

Deleted member

Would anyone think it would be awesome that for the final boss in a story mode, you fight a very difficult final fight against the last playable character and there is no confirmation whatsoever regarding who that character is until you get to him? It would be a rewarding way to end a story mode.

Spydr Enzo

Smash Ace
The rush of newcomers will depend on whenever or not Smash 4 gets announced at E3 2011.
Oh we've already experienced a rush as well as a massive increase in activity. The rumors have triggered that. If SSB4 gets announced at this E3, we'll see a WAVE of newcomers, and a new board will probably open up for SSB4. Even if a new board opens up though, I'm definitely retreating into a social group or something...

Would anyone think it would be awesome that for the final boss in a story mode, you fight a very difficult final fight against the last playable character and there is no confirmation whatsoever regarding who that character is until you get to him? It would be a rewarding way to end a story mode.
And yeah, that'd actually be a pretty sweet way to end a story mode. It'd have to be some really anticipated character too, like Megaman or Ridley (although Megaman would be easier since he is more unexpected due to his non-nintendo status).

I've always thought it would be better to combine Melee's Adventure mode with Brawl's Subspace Emissary by giving each character their own adventure that's as short as (or shorter than) Melee's Adventure mode. Then once you beat everyone elses Adventure, they all connect somehow and a final adventure opens where you can pick you you want to play as.

D

Deleted member

Oh we've already experienced a rush as well as a massive increase in activity. The rumors have triggered that. If SSB4 gets announced at this E3, we'll see a WAVE of newcomers, and a new board will probably open up for SSB4. Even if a new board opens up though, I'm definitely retreating into a social group or something...
I'll set up a social group just for veterans of SSB4 discussions if and when SSB4 gets announced.

AetherEch0s

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
2681-0290-3939
If SSB4 even has a deep story mode, i would expect a more powerful Master Hand to return, and have puppet strings on Tabuu.

D

Deleted member

If SSB4 even has a deep story mode, i would expect a more powerful Master Hand to return, and have puppet strings on Tabuu.
I think it would make more sense for a new villain to take the place of Tabuu thought that would be pretty interesting to see.

refugee

Smash Journeyman
Does anyone else feel like they should just forget about having a complex story again and instead just focus more on the multiplayer aspects of the game like online? If they do have something similar to Brawl though they should make it so that the characters are unlocked only in campaign if they get the character(s) through it and not also in multiplayer like they did in Brawl. I found it was super easy and not very challenging to unlock all the characters in Brawl while Melee it was difficult and fun doing unlocking the characters for the first time through various methods.

Barbasol

Smash Ace
I hope the next adventure mode has character specific storylines... Not long individual stories obviously, but each character holds a chapter of the main story sort of revolving around them and tying the main plot together.

To unlock additional chapters you would need to unlock the character first. Could be a really cool way to actually develop a story.

D

Deleted member

Does anyone else feel like they should just forget about having a complex story again and instead just focus more on the multiplayer aspects of the game like online? If they do have something similar to Brawl though they should make it so that the characters are unlocked only in campaign if they get the character(s) through it and not also in multiplayer like they did in Brawl. I found it was super easy and not very challenging to unlock all the characters in Brawl while Melee it was difficult and fun doing unlocking the characters for the first time through various methods.
I think a complex story can be done very well if the developers really put their minds into it, but I don't care much if they choose to omit it and replace it with a mode similar to Melee's Adventure Mode instead.

And yeah, unlockable characters in the Story Mode (If we have one) should be unlocked only through that. That'll actually make the Story Mode worth playing for everyone as long as it includes characters that people would want.

Not to mention I would love if they ramped up the difficulty to unlock characters. Seriously, Melee took me a month to get all the character, Brawl took me less then a week. One thing that should be done is they either ditch the unlockable requirment through multi-player matches or require a lot more matches so that other methods would be taken into consideration. Honestly, unlocking all characters through playing multi-player matches is unnecessary and boring way to get them.

One more thing, when it comes to unlocking characters in Story Mode, they should force you to fight that unlockable character and that you cannot proceed through the story until that character is unlocked.

Wiz_Kid

Smash Rookie
I'm sure it's been mentioned already, but I would love to see Fierce Diety Link as a playable character in the new Smash. I think he could have similar attributes to Ganondorf, Link, and Ike...all mixed into a single character. Not to say that he'd be a straight rip off of those 3 and that would be that, because if he's in the game they'd make him his "own" character (hopefully).

That would be awesome though.

As for 3rd party? I'd say sephiroth, but with the Masamune and potentially wings....explosions.....like, I picture a character with huge reach, 8 jumps, broken hit boxes....

Sounds like a bad idea.

refugee

Smash Journeyman
I think a complex story can be done very well if the developers really put their minds into it, but I don't care much if they choose to omit it and replace it with a mode similar to Melee's Adventure Mode instead.

And yeah, unlockable characters in the Story Mode (If we have one) should be unlocked only through that. That'll actually make the Story Mode worth playing for everyone as long as it includes characters that people would want.

Not to mention I would love if they ramped up the difficulty to unlock characters. Seriously, Melee took me a month to get all the character, Brawl took me less then a week. One thing that should be done is they either ditch the unlockable requirment through multi-player matches or require a lot more matches so that other methods would be taken into consideration. Honestly, unlocking all characters through playing multi-player matches is unnecessary and boring way to get them.

One more thing, when it comes to unlocking characters in Story Mode, they should force you to fight that unlockable character and that you cannot proceed through the story until that character is unlocked.
Ehh, I think you misunderstood in what I said. I am saying that if you unlocked Lucas in story mode it should only be in story mode that he gets to be played in and not multiplayer. To be unlocked in multiplayer you have to do a task like you had to do in melee like survive multi man whatever for 15 minutes.

So pretty much

Unlock character in campaign through story progression = can only be played in campaign

Unlock character from completing specific task = playable for all other modes

D

Deleted member

I'm sure it's been mentioned already, but I would love to see Fierce Diety Link as a playable character in the new Smash. I think he could have similar attributes to Ganondorf, Link, and Ike...all mixed into a single character. Not to say that he'd be a straight rip off of those 3 and that would be that, because if he's in the game they'd make him his "own" character (hopefully).
I'd actually like a Fierce Diety Link a lot. Having three characters in one sounds like a great idea and will get rid of the clone problem regarding the slot or at least considerably reduce it to my satisfaction. Sadly, it doesn't look like Nintendo will apply this great concept, which is a shame.

majora_787

Smash Hero
They did that in the SSE.

Well, I'm crossing my fingers for a mention of SSB4 at e3... til then, I picked up some DoL, Street Fighter, and Blazblue just to get back into a fighting game mood again.

I think Capcom is more likely for a 3rd party (Megaman) than Square is. Just saying.

refugee

Smash Journeyman
They did that in the SSE.

Well, I'm crossing my fingers for a mention of SSB4 at e3... til then, I picked up some DoL, Street Fighter, and Blazblue just to get back into a fighting game mood again.

I think Capcom is more likely for a 3rd party (Megaman) than Square is. Just saying.
Yeah I think so as well especially considering how there has been no main series FF on a Nintendo console since FF VII went to the PS1. Speaking of Capcom reps, while Megaman would be the best choice due to the series history on Nintendo consoles, I can see Ryu being the 2nd best choice since Street Fighter was like the first really popular fighting game.

Spydr Enzo

Smash Ace
I hope the next adventure mode has character specific storylines... Not long individual stories obviously, but each character holds a chapter of the main story sort of revolving around them and tying the main plot together.

To unlock additional chapters you would need to unlock the character first. Could be a really cool way to actually develop a story.
This is pretty much exactly my idea. I'd love to see something like this. The only difference is that in my version, you can play each character's story whenever you want, and as you play each character's story, you might notice subtle similarities. You finally realize they all connect in the end, once you unlock the "final story" by completing everyone else's story.

Wiz_Kid

Smash Rookie
I'm pretty sure we'll hear about a new smash game for Nintendo's next system come tuesday, during their press conference. IGN seems nearly sure of it, at least...which is at the very least encouraging.

Here's hoping.

If they really are attempting to appeal to the hardcore audience again like multiple media outlets are claiming (makes sense, apple is taking all of there "mainstream" market quickly), with a new online service that rights all the previous wrongs of NWFC.....why not show off a new, online from launch Smash Bros as your killer app? What other game would get people to line up over night to buy a new Nintendo System better than a new SSB?

Another thing I thought was pretty cool in IGN's recent "What we want in a new SSB game" article: They mentioned the fine line that's needed for a new smash game as far as pleasing not only casual players, but the people who play smash at "High levels of play". They actually spoke about the importance of trying to give the competitive group of players satisfying aspects of gameplay.

Not to say Brawl sucked; It didn't. It's a fun game, but I think something that plays more similar to melee integrated with a lot of Brawl's ideas would be a pretty flawless fighter. Even just giving us the slightest bit of hitstun back in conjunction with a little faster paced gameplay would make me a SUPER happy panda. No joke.

Not Melee fast. Just faster than what Brawl is currently.

Here's hoping they Nail it at E3, because honestly...just the thought of them debuting a new nintendo system with a new SSB game at launch gets me super excited.

Oh, and the tournament scene would probably explode again.

majora_787

Smash Hero
All we need is for them to announce it. :3

And after playing Dead or Alive: Dimensions, I hope Smash Bros. never does anything like making it so you have to defeat a ridiculously overpowered version of a character to unlock them. That's not okay. x_x Ever.

Wiz_Kid

Smash Rookie
On sort of a side note...would anyone else be worried about a 3DS version of smash?

I was thinking about how sometimes, the screen zooms out to keep both characters in view, and I was wondering if the 3DS screen is too small to do that as effectively as the series is accustomed to. It could be nothing serious to worry about though.

You know what would be a freaking BOMB going off at nintendo's press conference and sell hardware units like crazy? A cross platform smash for 3DS and their new system, where you can play against people on 3DS OR *insert new system name here*....it could also be the poster boy for "OH LOOK, 3DS INTERACTS WITH *insert new system name here*"

Just for kicks, imagine messing around with friends in a super casual game, where you have 4 people on the main screen playing with controllers, and 4 other people playing from their 3DSes.....insane.....not that you'd ever need 8 players. But still, I could see it being a neat gimmick.

AetherEch0s

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
2681-0290-3939

That would be awesome though.

As for 3rd party? I'd say sephiroth, but with the Masamune and potentially wings....explosions.....like, I picture a character with huge reach, 8 jumps, broken hit boxes....

Sounds like a bad idea.
This is actually the kind of post we were talking about earlier. You have only posted 4 times, and you post something like that.
Fierce Deity Link has like no chance whatsoever. Being a minor "form change" from a single game, not to mention there are more deserving reps from that game that are actually separate characters (tingle and skullkid).

I cant tell if you are serious about Sephiroth or not though. I truly hope not. If ANYTHING from the Final Fantasy series makes it, it would be a Moogle, to represent the series as a whole.

Your other post is too long to worry about quoting, but i agree 100% with it, so it redeems you. The best bet Nintendo has for selling the new system is SSB4. I doubt they would have the Cafe's online structure or SSB4 finished enough to show it off, but it would surely boost future sales if they had something nice to show this early.

I think they might just go ALL OUT this time at E3, so theres no knowing what will happen. If they WERE to announce a 3DS SSB too, then i think its safe to assume they win the console wars for this decade. With the stuff Sony has went through recently, they might be out anyway.

refugee

Smash Journeyman
On sort of a side note...would anyone else be worried about a 3DS version of smash?

I was thinking about how sometimes, the screen zooms out to keep both characters in view, and I was wondering if the 3DS screen is too small to do that as effectively as the series is accustomed to. It could be nothing serious to worry about though.

You know what would be a freaking BOMB going off at nintendo's press conference and sell hardware units like crazy? A cross platform smash for 3DS and their new system, where you can play against people on 3DS OR *insert new system name here*....it could also be the poster boy for "OH LOOK, 3DS INTERACTS WITH *insert new system name here*"

Just for kicks, imagine messing around with friends in a super casual game, where you have 4 people on the main screen playing with controllers, and 4 other people playing from their 3DSes.....insane.....not that you'd ever need 8 players. But still, I could see it being a neat gimmick.
I'm sure they would be able to make it work if they put it on the 3DS. No worries there. If they do the cross platform idea, that's going to be expensive for a person to actually be able to do that with a 3DS alone being $250. O_O

Speaking of increasing the amount of players; I think it's possible now for 5-6 people to be able to play all in one match. Now that would be chaotic/awesome. :pimp:

This is actually the kind of post we were talking about earlier. You have only posted 4 times, and you post something like that.
Fierce Deity Link has like no chance whatsoever. Being a minor "form change" from a single game, not to mention there are more deserving reps from that game that are actually separate characters (tingle and skullkid).

I cant tell if you are serious about Sephiroth or not though. I truly hope not. If ANYTHING from the Final Fantasy series makes it, it would be a Moogle, to represent the series as a whole.

Your other post is too long to worry about quoting, but i agree 100% with it, so it redeems you. The best bet Nintendo has for selling the new system is SSB4. I doubt they would have the Cafe's online structure or SSB4 finished enough to show it off, but it would surely boost future sales if they had something nice to show this early.
Yes I was going to comment about that but I decided it was best for me not to mention it.

Wiz_Kid

Smash Rookie
I made a new account (Wanted a new username, honestly), but I've actually been a member for years under the name "Iwan".

Fierce Diety Link really was just my "fanboy pick" for a new smash game. I agree that there's really no chance he makes it in.

Steam

Smash Hero
The poll is from Nintendo Dream, which is basically the Nintendo Power equivalent in Japan. Should be a fairly wide selection of opinions, hence why there doesn't seem to be any particular trend along the lines of cute/badass/competitive.

I'm taking into account the Nintendo Dream poll (wide selection of users), the IGN poll (generally the older crowd), the official Pokemon Company website polls (generally the younger crowd), and just plain googling "lucario mewtwo" or some such thing for obscure sites (wide selection).

It's fairly unanimous: Mewtwo > Lucario > Zoroark

Now, you obviously can't just look for one particular magical know-all poll to find out who's more popular, but the fact that you can't find ANYTHING supporting your statement while the rest of the world very blatantly disagrees with you says everything.

I like your style. All signs point to A, but you declare them all invalid because your gut tells you B just HAS to be true.

A lot of the support behind Zoroark (and Brawl launch Lucario) seems to be on the basis of "the king is dead, long live the king." There's no definite case that proves Pokemon in Smash actually works like that, but whatever, that's their problem.
I'm not saying B has to be true. I'm just saying what you've presented doesn't neccecarily prove A (and given reasons).

just about any poll anything would run would generally have more of the hardcore croud voting because you know... they'd care more. lol.

though if mewtwo was prioritized after lucario before, he won't ahead of lucario and zoroark unless they change their selection policy. Zoroark is somewhat the new lucario that didn't take off as much and lucario is still lucario and being in brawl only boosted his popularity even more while fading mewtwo's... Just don't see what would change to make mewtwo ahead lol.

refugee

Smash Journeyman
I made a new account (Wanted a new username, honestly), but I've actually been a member for years under the name "Iwan".

Fierce Diety Link really was just my "fanboy pick" for a new smash game. I agree that there's really no chance he makes it in.
Phew. Alright, as long as you realize when your choice is a "fanboy pick" it's all good. My own would be Boney from Mother 3. :laugh: I know he doesn't have any chance but would love it if he made it in.

I'm not saying B has to be true. I'm just saying what you've presented doesn't neccecarily prove A (and given reasons).

just about any poll anything would run would generally have more of the hardcore croud voting because you know... they'd care more. lol.
So if they care more they should get priority then over casuals who would probably like Mewtwo at first sight thinking he's some new character.

Can we just drop this instead? This is like the definition of beating a dead horse. You said it yourself that this is going nowhere so why bring it up again?

Steam

Smash Hero
a casual's 50 dollars is worth just as much as a hardcore fan's 50 dollars.

and I pretty much have tried to drop it. I was just making sure he knew that I'm not really trying to say that he'll be in for sure... but rather that data has to fit the situation perfectly for it to be applicable...

and also anything could happen lol.

augustoflores

Smash Hero
NNID
augustoflores
3DS FC
4828-5782-2252
Switch FC
SW-2867-0942-2202
i hope you're not serious with boney. i'd understand Duck Hunt Dog for the lulz like pichu but this is the first i've heard of boney... also, on DHD, never, ever mention it. i have my guns cocked for the next new guy to suggest it.
id love it if kumatora made it in... but my fanboy pick is megaman x... he has a better selection for moves and i really really hate it when people suggest it for mega man (classic) to have rush use rush jet or rush coil... it makes me want to cuss... i don't usually use bad language on the internet or in life.
geez, why'd spydr leave?

AetherEch0s

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
2681-0290-3939
my fanboy picks would have to be Ridley, Dark Samus, Sigilyph and Layton.

Ridley is pretty much guaranteed, and Layton has a chance, but Dark Samus just isnt justifiable and Sigilyph would only make it if Pokemon Trainer is swapped for N. He would presumably use Liepard, Sigilyph and Vanilluxe since he has them in most battles. But thats not going to happen.

Yeah, the Lucario topic is a battered and bruised horse corpse. Just drop it. We cant convince you and lol you wont convince us.

augustoflores

Smash Hero
NNID
augustoflores
3DS FC
4828-5782-2252
Switch FC
SW-2867-0942-2202
omg... are those Gen V pokemon names? good god!! what happened to the simple ways of gen I - gen II?

AetherEch0s

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
2681-0290-3939
I personally like all 3 of those, but some of the names are pretty unpronounceable like Cryogonal and Cofagrigus.

Steam

Smash Hero
N would be an interesting PT choice and it's possible...

and jussayin, it would be impossible to convince either side of anything in this thread because of how subjective it all is. everything is all up to chance anyways. I was just giving my side to consider.... *is done*

edit: Excadrill is the best Gen V pokemon. Real talk.

Weyard

Smash Apprentice
omg... are those Gen V pokemon names? good god!! what happened to the simple ways of gen I - gen II?
A lot of the 5th gen names are at the 10 letter limit and difficult to pronounce lol. The designs are all closer to 1st/3rd though, which is a nice change from 4th gen.

AetherEch0s

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
2681-0290-3939
I guess its possible, but 3rd or 5th gen Pokemon trainer is more likely. I dont see them picking an antagonist/rival and making them playable over the main character.

augustoflores

Smash Hero
NNID
augustoflores
3DS FC
4828-5782-2252
Switch FC
SW-2867-0942-2202
sweet! they fixed smash boards and made posts and edits show up automatically!!

AetherEch0s

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
2681-0290-3939
yeah its amazing, i just noticed it a sec ago when Weyard posted.

mine is showing when someone edits too

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom