• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

[Official SSB4 Discussion] --- Nintendo announces 2 new Smash games!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Shorts

Zef Side
Premium
3DS FC
3136-6583-3704
Sounds like a good idea. Attempts at feeling included are fruitless, eh? Kay. Have items been talked about much yet? I feel that many included items are dumb, pointless, or were made wrong. The team healer, for example.

What would people like to see as far as items go?
Items should be obvious and not the size of an ant's thumb's nail. I can't see the Badge on Brawl half the time. If a character is metal, you know so. If they are Ivisible/Giant/Mini/Curry you can obviously tell. But not with the Badge.

Trying to stop a debate between two two people can be fruitless, not feeling included. Most people on here are nice enough, veteran's and everyone else below them.

Kantrip

Kantplay
Yeah I agree, maybe some sort of reversal arrow above a character with item reflection? I don't know how to do the Samus screw attack thing except to make it a throwable item again. I would also like to see some sort of rideable item like Yoshi (but not him because he's a character) or Rambi that you can make unique A attacks with and when you press the button to "drop" them you would jump off and get a recovery boost like wario with his bike.

Big-Cat

Challenge accepted.
NNID
KumaOso
3DS FC
1590-4853-0104
Sounds like a good idea. Attempts at feeling included are fruitless, eh? Kay. Have items been talked about much yet? I feel that many included items are dumb, pointless, or were made wrong. The team healer, for example.

What would people like to see as far as items go?
My biggest complaint with the items in Brawl is that a good chunk of them were just too good. Imagine you took MvC3's top tier assists like Tron's Gustaff Fire and Sentinel's Drones and made them items. It's kind of like that in terms of momentum shift.

Then you had some returning items that just felt nerfed, namely the Pokeballs.

I think one way to make the wearing of the Franklin Badge clearer is to make the sparkles bigger.

In regards to those tips, I think the most important tip you left out, Shortie, is that it's ok that you get involved in conversations as long as your argument is solid and not just a string of random sentences. Otherwise, people that want to get in the discussion will have a difficult time.

ryuu seika

Smash Master
I liked Melee's items, though I don't use them anymore. With Brawl however, I turned them all off day 2 because they were so unbalancing.

In Melee, items were random but skill still outweighed chance the majority of the time. In Brawl it came down to nothing more than luck. Especially with the smash balls.

@Tofu: What exactly do you have in mind for the shy guy? I know how I'd like him to play but a fresh view on the matter could be interesting.

Arcadenik

Smash Legend
NNID
Arcadenik
See the retro-styled Sonic on the right in both pics? That is how I would like Sonic to look like in SSB4 if he comes back. I never really liked the modern look Sonic has in Brawl and in many Sonic games since Sonic Adventure...

Jaklub

Smash Journeyman
See the retro-styled Sonic on the right in both pics? That is how I would like Sonic to look like in SSB4 if he comes back. I never really liked the modern look Sonic has in Brawl and in many Sonic games since Sonic Adventure...
You don't play as blue-shirted obese Mario with wry face and huge nose in SSB.

BirthNote

Smash Master
NNID
GeneticDestiny
I got that long ago...
Cool I'm not the only one.

Anyway, this thread's been quiet lately, so I'm gonna bring back some of my veteran character ideas.
DK: Donkey has no DownB move while airborne, so I think it would be a good idea to have him do that Kongo Clap from Jungle Beat. The Gamecube version has DK doing claps that are too overpowered; the sound waves are bigger than the diameter of Luigi's Final Smash's. It would be much better for him to use those sound shattering claps from the Wii version instead. In the New Play Control! version, Donkey's claps are directional instead of all around and therefore the hitbox is smaller. This is what I want DK to have. When he's in the air, you press DownB and he'll use that Kongo Clap but ONLY in a downward direction. Now, I know that some people would oppose this because they hate Jungle Beat, so consider this: The DownB that DK currently has relies on vibrations as well. DK uses his hands to create a harmful force and that's the general idea of my proposal too. Also, its an extra move that's not replacing anything.

Link/Toon Link: When the Links do a forward smash, they have the option to do another slice. That's useful, but its annoying that your opponent can get behind you to avoid it. My idea is to give them the option to turn around quickly and do a backslash. With that, the Links can be more of a threat and you won't have opponents take you for granted as much as they would without this option.

Next is for a newcomer.
King K.Rool: In Donkey Kong Country, K.Rool attacks by charging at you and jumping on you. When you hit him, he begins to run faster and faster, and after taking more damage, he jumps from one end of the arena to the other in a single leap. If he was a fighter in Smash, they could incorporate this by having his running speed and his jump height increase after he takes damage. It would be like Lucario and his strength, but instead applying to running and jumping. With this, K.Rool could be the fastest running heavyweight and have a surprisingly high jump.

So that's my ideas. Opinions?

Kantrip

Kantplay
@Birthnote - I like your DK and Link ideas, but I'm not too fond of K. Rool's "Bunny ear aura". I think he would run fast enough at base speed, and the value changing would only screw up the player (trying to execute a sh move that keeps changing height).

Besides, with an awesome recovery like this
he shouldn't need any help jumping.

Arcadenik

Smash Legend
NNID
Arcadenik
I was thinking about which Pokemon I would like to see appear from Pokeballs in the next Smash. Here are my suggestions.

Co***rigus - it stays still until someone hits it (with physical attacks, not projectiles) and it uses Astonish to stun its attacker and its four shadowy arms pull them inside the coffin and they come out as a mummy (imagine Mario wrapped in linen) because its Mummy ability is activated by physical moves.

Darmanitan - its Sheer Force ability would increase the power of its Fire Punch move so it basically runs around punching everyone... however, if it gets hit often times, it would get into the Zen Mode where it does nothing for a couple seconds and then it would come out of the Zen Mode and start punching around again, and so on.

Munna - it would float and then uses Yawn to generate a large radius of sound waves (similar to Donkey Kong's Final Smash) where opponents would fall asleep... and then they start dreaming of their desires shown inside pink clouds (examples: Bowser dreams of marrying Peach, Ganondorf dreams of possessing the whole Triforce, Donkey Kong dreams of his Banana Hoard, etc.) which Munna uses Dream Eater on, inflicting damage in their sleep.

Woobat - it flies around and divebombs at an opponent using Heart Stamp to cause the opponent to flinch repeatedly for a few seconds with hearts flying around them

Victini - it would fly around for a bit and then it uses a combination of its signature moves, V-create and Searing Shot, where it would launch itself towards an opponent and gives them the burn status (similar to Lip's Stick) for a few seconds.

I also would like to see a second Pokemon Trainer appear as an Assist Trophy. I was thinking of Ethan (the male trainer from Gold/Silver) with his 2nd gen starters. Chikorita runs around and does the same thing (Razor Leaf) it did in Melee/Brawl. Quilava runs around and does the same thing (Flamethrower) Cyndaquil did in Melee. Feraligatr stands in one spot and does the same thing (Hydro Pump) Blastoise did in SSB and Melee, but in both sides like Charizard did in SSB and Melee.

That leaves three remaining generations of starters for the Pokeballs. Maybe we can have Mudkip, Chimchar, and Snivy appear out of Pokeballs. Mudkip might use Muddy Water (it doesn't matter if it cannot learn that move when Marshtomp and Swampert can) to surf around in muddy water in a similar way Piplup used Surf in Brawl. Chimchar might set itself on fire and do cartwheels (Flame Wheel) and use Ember to fling small fireballs around. Snivy might use Leaf Tornado to blow small tornadoes made of sharp leaves to trap and launch opponents like the tornadoes in SSB's Hyrule Castle stage.

Shorts

Zef Side
Premium
3DS FC
3136-6583-3704
Victini vs. Zoroark

Who would you rather see? I'm tired of the humanoid/canine Pokemon always being in smash. I think Victini would be an ineresting character due to his combination of Psychic/Fire Pokemon. When compairing him to Zoroark, he has a better chance at not being similar to any existing characters. And if Mewtwo OR Lucario come back, we already have the Humanoid character.

I think Victini and Zoroark are the two most likely candidates, but is their ANY other pokemon from Gen V that are popular enough? Specifically Non-PKMN trainer?

Also, what if we had PKMN Trainer Red be the assist trophy, and Ethan be the new Pokemon trainer? Or perhaps May?

Big-Cat

Challenge accepted.
NNID
KumaOso
3DS FC
1590-4853-0104
I don't necessarily think we'll see a new gen Pokemon. I wouldn't be surprised if Mewtwo makes a comeback because he's a popular Pokemon (vocal popularity != actual popularity) and offered a unique playstyle in Melee.

For Pokemon Trainer, I'd greatly appreciate it if Pokemon Trainer was unique in that had the option to play as everyone one of the trainers as a model swap. Since the animations are so few compared to the other fighters, it doesn't sound too unlikely to happen. That, or at least offer the girl option.

Arcadenik

Smash Legend
NNID
Arcadenik
Kuma, I am not sure I understand what you meant by vocal popularity != actual popularity.

Big-Cat

Challenge accepted.
NNID
KumaOso
3DS FC
1590-4853-0104
!= is syntax in certain programming languages that means "not equal".

ryuu seika

Smash Master
I'm not saying you can't use your version.
It may not look so nice but having coding background is better than just being a badly done representation of the not equal to sign.

EDIT: In the future I shall be using ≠, just because I can.

Arcadenik

Smash Legend
NNID
Arcadenik
No, no, no... I know what != meant. I meant, what is the difference between vocal popularity and actual popularity because you said they aren't the same thing.

BirthNote

Smash Master
NNID
GeneticDestiny
@Birthnote - I like your DK and Link ideas, but I'm not too fond of K. Rool's "Bunny ear aura". I think he would run fast enough at base speed, and the value changing would only screw up the player (trying to execute a sh move that keeps changing height).

Besides, with an awesome recovery like this
he shouldn't need any help jumping.
LOL, I can't believe I didn't realize how similar that idea was to the bunnyhood. I never thought about him using his K.Roolenstein moves as well, but that can be a good UpB.

Starphoenix

How Long Have I Been Asleep?
NNID
GalaxyPhoenix
3DS FC
2122-6914-9465
Hey everyone, been awhile. So what is the current topic of discussion?

Shorts

Zef Side
Premium
3DS FC
3136-6583-3704
Here's a thought.

What if assist trpohies didn't act so much as an "assist attack" where they come out, do a predictable move, and then leave. What if they became more like "assistants" where they have a very limited moveset, but aide you in battle until they are knocked off?

They could have a Forward, basic, upward, and downward attack, as well as being able to move/jump. They had life similar to a regular player, but their percedntage was easier to rack up. Maybe they could have a smiller percent sign at the top of the screen.

Or would this be too much like "Well they had a character 25% done, why not just finish it"" feel? Or "instead of making a moveset for X character, lets just half a** it and put them in as an AT." How likely are these two scenarios and do you think the risk of fan backlash or Developer laziness is high? The last thing I want is a sequal with 48 characters, and virtually no innovation to the gameplay.

Kantrip

Kantplay
On the topic of K. Rool, then, I suppose I'll just post my desired moveset. Just an idea:

B: Krown Toss - K. Rool throws his crown, as seen in DKC1, and it rolls for some time and then comes back. If thrown in the air, it will drop down at about a 45 degree angle until it gets to the ground (or offstage).

->B: K. Rool Kannon - K. Rool will take out his hand-cannon from DKC2 and fire it. If the control stick is hit as if for a smash attack, a cannonball will come out, with chances to be spiked or not spiked (spiked doing more damage). If pressed lightly, a cloud of coloured smoke will emerge (as in the game) and will swirl forwards and inflict the enemy with an effect based on the colour of the smoke.
Green: Poisons them, giving them Lip's Stick-like damage for a short time.
Blue: Freezes them in place for a moment exactly where they are like ZSS' laser.
Purple: Turns them around like Mario's cape and reverses their momentum.

^B: Heli-pack - K. Rool takes out his Roolenstein Helicopter jet pack and flies upwards for a bit, very similar to Snake's recovery. Aerials can be used and will cancel it, as will pressing down on the control stick.

vB: Not too sure about this one, could be a barreling charge (DKC1), a punch with his boxing glove (DK64) or something else. :shrug:

That's all the important parts.

Shortie: were you saying that an assist trophy would do things based on what you do, and would pretty much follow you around attacking when you attack? That could work, but I think it works better how it is, like pokeballs, so you can grab one and not have to worry about knowing what to do with whoever comes out. Just my opinion, though.

Big-Cat

Challenge accepted.
NNID
KumaOso
3DS FC
1590-4853-0104
Here's a thought.

What if assist trpohies didn't act so much as an "assist attack" where they come out, do a predictable move, and then leave. What if they became more like "assistants" where they have a very limited moveset, but aide you in battle until they are knocked off?

They could have a Forward, basic, upward, and downward attack, as well as being able to move/jump. They had life similar to a regular player, but their percedntage was easier to rack up. Maybe they could have a smiller percent sign at the top of the screen.

Or would this be too much like "Well they had a character 25% done, why not just finish it"" feel? Or "instead of making a moveset for X character, lets just half a** it and put them in as an AT." How likely are these two scenarios and do you think the risk of fan backlash or Developer laziness is high? The last thing I want is a sequal with 48 characters, and virtually no innovation to the gameplay.
If ATs were better fleshed out, you're gonna get a lot of backlash for the reasons you mentioned.

Now this is a crazy idea, and I know SmashChu's gonna be a whiny little ***** about this, but what if Assist Trophies worked kinda like in MvC? What if you changed the way ATs worked by making them "stored" when a person grabs the item? You'd be able to call it out with a taunt and the AT comes out. I think this would at the very least make the assist trophies feel more like assists and be made different from Pokeballs. As they are, ATs are nothing but non-Pokemon Pokeballs.

Arcadenik

Smash Legend
NNID
Arcadenik
Sounds good, Kuma... I kinda like it. I had a similar idea like this, but it involved the Djinn from the Golden Sun series. Basically, you would collect up to four Djinn (they all have to be the same element) and they would be stored to be summoned whenever you pressed the special button while you are performing a taunt. You would summon only if you have two, three, or four of the same Djinn type. I don't know if it would be too complicated for the developers to program this... so I guess your idea might be a bit simpler to do
because developers like to cut the corners and that's why we have clones and Landmasters

Starphoenix

How Long Have I Been Asleep?
NNID
GalaxyPhoenix
3DS FC
2122-6914-9465
Apparently it's K.Rool and the use of ≠ and similar symbols...
K. Rool huh? Him not being in DKCR really hurt his relevance so unless Retro pumps out a sequel with him in it prior to development I do not believe he will fare too well. But he still may, I'm undecided.

As far as the "is not equal to" debate is concerned, both "≠" and "!=" are correct so does it truly matter?

Shorts

Zef Side
Premium
3DS FC
3136-6583-3704
Kuma's Idea is much better then what AT's are as of now. Even IF Assist trophies aren't used as you described, i think it's fair to say that they need to be changed anyhow.

Does anyone else have a problem with some of the Pokemon? I haven't played brawl for months (With items ACTUALLY ON for even longer) but are you able to even escape Kyogre if you are at a tiny level? I don't mind an Item being powerful if used right, so long as they have their limitations. (Like the Hammer)

Big-Cat

Challenge accepted.
NNID
KumaOso
3DS FC
1590-4853-0104
Sounds good, Kuma... I kinda like it. I had a similar idea like this, but it involved the Djinn from the Golden Sun series. Basically, you would collect up to four Djinn (they all have to be the same element) and they would be stored to be summoned whenever you pressed the special button while you are performing a taunt. You would summon only if you have two, three, or four of the same Djinn type. I don't know if it would be too complicated for the developers to program this... so I guess your idea might be a bit simpler to do
because developers like to cut the corners and that's why we have clones and Landmasters
Actually, Dormammu has something like this in MvC3. He can store up to three of a combination of Destructor and Creator. Depending on the combination, you'd get a certain special move.

This would be VERY unique if a GS character were to implement this some way. That character would effectively have the largest array of specials in Smash history (Dante hold's the highest overall I think).

ryuu seika

Smash Master
@Starphoenix: Yeah, they were pretty dumb discussion topics...

@KumaOso: Assist Trophies that can be commanded via taunts (maybe even have the direction of their attack vary with taunt direction) is a great idea and I don't think where the idea come from should have much relevance on how people view it (smashchu's like that though). I wouldn't appose a combination system of collected assists like you suggest either but it would definitely have to be limited as all assists doing that would be a lot of work.

UberMario

Smash Master
If ATs were better fleshed out, you're gonna get a lot of backlash for the reasons you mentioned.

Now this is a crazy idea, and I know SmashChu's gonna be a whiny little ***** about this, but what if Assist Trophies worked kinda like in MvC? What if you changed the way ATs worked by making them "stored" when a person grabs the item? You'd be able to call it out with a taunt and the AT comes out. I think this would at the very least make the assist trophies feel more like assists and be made different from Pokeballs. As they are, ATs are nothing but non-Pokemon Pokeballs.
I'd definitely dig that, they just felt like Pokeball 2.0s in Brawl.

It didn't help that there were less of them than there were playable characters . . . . .

ChronoBound

Smash Hero
Here is a brief essay I recently wrote regarding the merits and prospects of a possible Smash Bros. for the 3DS:

There seems to be quite a bit of discussion recently on this board regarding the possibility of and merits of a possible Smash Bros. on the 3DS. There are many whom would welcome a new Smash Bros. with open arms, while there are others who feel the series should stick strictly with consoles. The purpose of this essay will be for me to articulate my thoughts regarding this matter (whether Smash Bros. would be "good" on the 3DS and how likely is it).

As with many other Smash fans, I am eagerly anticipating the announcement of a fourth installment to the Smash Bros. series. I personally do not care what console it is on, but I realize that it will almost certainly not be made for the Wii. Sakurai has stated in the past that he has an objection to releasing more than one Smash Bros. game on the same console (he was asked about doing a Melee 2 back in 2003 and he said that "it would not be right" for more than one Smash game to be released for a console).

This leaves one of two consoles for the development of Smash 4 to be developed on: the 3DS or the Wii 2 (or whatever Nintendo's next home console is called). There are both advantages and disadvantages regarding development for the next Smash Bros. on one of these two platforms.

There exists several key advantages to developing Smash 4 for the 3DS. One advantage is lower development costs (though that would be an advantage for Nintendo). Another advantage is that Sakurai is already very familiar with the hardware, and the development cycle for Smash 4 would not take more than two years if it was developed for the 3DS. So assuming development began of Smash 4 by the end of this year for the 3DS, it would be on the market before the end of 2013.

Another key advantage to developing Smash 4 could possibly be a much larger roster size. Since a 3DS Smash Bros. sequel would still be in the same generation in graphics as Melee and Brawl, developers of it would not be impeded with making the engine and graphics for it. As a matter of fact, Melee'e engine or Brawl's engine could be imported for a theoretical Smash 4 and build on the roster from one of those two game from there. Its for this reason that a Smash 4 for the 3DS has a higher probability of having a higher roster than one for the Wii 2 (assuming Nintendo devotes the same amount of time and resources for a 3DS Smash 4 that they did for Melee and Brawl). It is very much possible that a Smash 4 for the 3DS could have 50 or more playable characters under such a scenario.

However, there also exists several key disadvantages to a Smash 4 being made for the 3DS. One is that it is quite possible for the graphics for it to be a step back from Brawl's, and possibly even Melee's. Every Smash so far has had a leap in graphics over its previous installment, so for Smash 4 to be a step backward in graphics might be a disappointment for some fans. Another key disadvantage to a 3DS Smash Bros. would be that the presentation would be a step back compared to Brawl's (especially in the case of an Adventure Mode and music availability). Brawl's needed to be a double-layered disc in order to contain all the SSE cutscenes and all of those music tracks and the Masterpieces. A Smash 4 that is developed for the 3DS will likely have less than a handful of CGI cutscenes, much less music tracks (probably would have about the same amount of tracks as Melee), and the omission of Masterpieces. A third major disadvantage to a 3DS Smash Bros. would be the limitation of multiplayer outside of outline. Smash Bros. is famed as being a "party game"and it is quite possible that Smash Bros. would lose its "party" feeling if it moved to a handheld. Multiplayer for a portable Smash Bros. is further complicated by the fact that there would need to be four people with four copies of Smash 3DS on four 3DS's as opposed to a console Smash Bros. were only one copy of the game would be needed to play with three other people. However, this downside might be mitigated by the inclusion of a robust online multiplayer mode.

A Smash 4 that is developed for Nintendo's next home console would have several unique advantages. For one, the graphics would be a massive leap over Brawl's, as big as the leap from Smash 64 to Melee in graphics. Also, it is likely that the disc medium used for Nintendo's next console will be much larger than that of the Wii's which would allow for much more content compared to Brawl. A second advantage is that Sakurai eagerly wants to work on a HD console so he could go into developing a Smash 4 for the Wii 2 with much more enthusiasm than if he were to make it for the 3DS (which is weaker than the Wii).

However, as with the 3DS, there are also several disadvantages for making Smash 4 for Nintendo's next home console. One disadvantage is the possibility of a smaller roster. It is very likely that if Smash 4 were made for a HD console, its roster would probably only have a few extra characters (jn terms of total playable character count) compared to Brawl, and possibly even smaller. It is quite likely that a Smash 4 for Nintendo's next console could have a roster roughly the same size as Brawl's. This would either mean much less newcomers compared to the previous three Smash games, or lots of cuts from the existing Smash Bros. roster (as of Brawl) in order to make room for a sizable amount of newcomers.

Another key disadvantage to a Wii 2 Smash Bros. would be that the development times would likely be longer than that of Melee and Brawl. A Smash 4 for the Wii 2 will likely have a development time of at least three years, which means a longer wait, and quite possibly a roster only the same size even with a full extra year of development time. Sakurai is very eager to work on a HD console and "pushing it to its full potential". It is quite likely much of the development time for Smash 4 on the Wii 2 would be devoted to graphics and a high level of detail. Further complicating this is that no one at Nintendo has had experience developing a game for a HD console, however, even is Nintendo outsources development of Smash 4 to a studio that has had extensive experience with HD games, the development time and Sakurai wanting to place a high emphasis on the graphics still be factors.

It is quite possible that in order to compensate for Smash 4 only having a roster the same size as Brawl, that there will be further cuts made to the existing Smash roster, and that there will be even more guests (third-party characters) added in order to increase hype for a Smash Bros. game that has a smaller roster.

As to the probability of Smash 4 being made for the 3DS, I think it is unlikely to happen. Although Sakurai now has had extensive hands-on experience developing for the 3DS (Kid Icarus: Uprising), ir seems as though he is really itching to make a game for a HD console, which means that Smash 4 will likely be made for the Wii 2. Also, I think Sakurai would not like scaling down the presentation for a Smash Bros. on the 3DS.

If a Smash Bros. is made for the 3DS it would likely be a port (with maybe a few extras) of Melee or Brawl. However, as to the case of an entirely original Smash Bros. being made for the 3DS, I think its unlikely. Though Paper Mario, a series that was once only relegated to consoles (and also only has one game per console much like Smash Bros.) has made the jump to the 3DS. Mario Kart is another series that was very popular on consoles that made a successful transition to handhelds too, while still having a multitude of new content.

It really depends. If people want much more extras and much better graphics in a future Smash Bros., then they should desire Smash 4 being made for the Wii 2. If they desire a roster that has the potential to have 10 more characters than Brawl's and to have a Smash Bros. on the go, then they should desire a Smash Bros. for the 3DS.

I think at the earliest we will see Smash 4 at E3 2012, with the highest liklihood being E3 2013, with the latest possible date being E3 2014. So at the earliest we are looking at a Smash 4 unveil only a year away, while at the latest another three years. It seems people are already eager with anticipation for a new installment in the most popular fighting franchise and one of Nintendo's most beloved series. However, it seems most of the characters people are picking for their "wish lists" are obscure, side characters, one-shots, or otherwise simply favorites of the user. There are less than a handful of Nintendo All-Stars not yet playable. There seems to be much less consensus on what people want in terms of who to include in Smash 4 compared to what I saw with Melee and Brawl. It will be curious to see if Sakurai notices this too, and instead opts for expanding gameplay and feature aspects of Smash Bros. instead of its roster.

This will be determined whenever Smash 4 is finally announced and unveiled.

That concludes my essay discussing the possible benefits and deficits of a possible Smash 4, as well as the probability of it even happening.

Shorts

Zef Side
Premium
3DS FC
3136-6583-3704
Comments on this essay:

I feel like you made a lot of assumptions when talking about certain compunsations SSB4 would have to make in order to work on the Wii2. One example is assuming that because nintendo is new at the whole HD gaming that they will have to go to another companiy, which will lead to more 3rd party characters which will lead to less Nintendo characters because of . . .ect.

I feel like you should have emphaisized the fact that NONE of us know the copacity of this "Wii2" as well as remind everyone that all these hypothetical A leads to B leads to C D E F. Could either not happen at all, or only have A and B happen, but the rest were no issue. I don't see why a smaller roster would be a must? Because we don't know this future console's (Key word is FUTURE) capablities i think a roster of 45-55 is possible. I don't know much about HD and what it is exactly, but would it even look good on a game like smash? Ultra detailed like some of those sports games for pS3 would look out-of-element for nintendo and uuuuuugly.

As for the 3DS. Why in god's name would we want a reused engine? We have had a new engine throughout all the Smash games, and unless this installment was a spin-off I would be pretty dissapointed with the lack of innovation. I like Melee, but if I want to play Melee, I'll pick it up and play it. I think if the game wasn't a spin-off that had specifically Handheld characters/level's then it isn't worth it. We don't need an installment that uses a lack of innovation AND creativity. The reason I would want a spin-off is because then the roster could be totally remolded to the Handheld oriented characters. Cpatain Falcon and Olimar would sit out like they should.

So either: SSB4 BRAND NEW, no reused anything WITH a Spin-off series for the 3DS or just SSB4 for the Wii2. I don't like the idea of a Melee/Brawl 2 for a system that doesn't even house some of the characters.

Big-Cat

Challenge accepted.
NNID
KumaOso
3DS FC
1590-4853-0104
@Shortie
HD just means a higher resolution. It doesn't mean photo-realistic graphics. Think of it as a larger canvas. There are plenty of games on the HD consoles that do not have realistic graphics such as the Street Fighter games and the idolM@ster games.

ChronoBound

Smash Hero
Also, another thing that I think many people do in regards to speculation for Smash 4: overestimating the size of the roster.

Super Smash Bros. Brawl had a roster size of 39 on a console that is only marginally more powerful than the original X-Box.

Looking at big budget fighters that were made for the Playstation 3 and X-Box 360. We see that their roster counts do not go over 40.

Tekken 6: 40
Soul Calibur IV: 34
Super Street Fighter 4: 35
Marvel vs. Capcom 3: 38

It would not be a stretch to say that Smash 4's roster could very well be about the same size as Brawl. Smash 4's roster might only have about 45 characters (transformation characters included).

I have been speculating on roster sizes even before the release of Melee, and almost every time Smash fans have grossly overestimated the size of the new Smash's full roster. There were people back in the Melee speculation days who thought Melee's total roster number would go over 40, with most thinking over 30! With Brawl too most thought that the roster would be in the mid 40's in terms of total character count.

As a matter of fact, I think there would be a chance for a larger roster on a 3DS Smash Bros. than for a Wii 2 Smash Bros. People underestimate how much time and resources are needed for games on the HD consoles.

I know this may be very controversial, but I think it is something that many people here have either overlooked or do not consider a possibility. I think its a very strong possibility.

Please discuss your thoughts on this topic.

Also, on a sidenote, there are some who feel that the announcement of a Wii 2 will happen at E3 2011 due to the Wii getting a price cut to $150 prior to E3. If Wii 2 is indeed announced at E3 2011, then I think it is very likely that we will be seeing Smash at E3 2012, or at the very least be in development at that time.

Big-Cat

Challenge accepted.
NNID
KumaOso
3DS FC
1590-4853-0104
You know, the reason for those roster sizes are likely due to diversity (having as few clones as possible) and balance.

However, if Nintendo were to get their act together, I could totally see the roster not exceeding 40.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom