• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

[Official SSB4 Discussion] --- Nintendo announces 2 new Smash games!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Arcadenik

Smash Legend
NNID
Arcadenik
KumaOso and Starphoenix, as much as I enjoy reading your opinions and thoughts... I think your rosters follow too closely to Melee/Brawl and MvC3 rosters. Can we have some new Nintendo and Capcom characters who haven't appeared in a Smash game nor a MvC game?

Starphoenix

How Long Have I Been Asleep?
NNID
GalaxyPhoenix
3DS FC
2122-6914-9465
KumaOso and Starphoenix, as much as I enjoy reading your opinions and thoughts... I think your rosters follow too closely to Melee/Brawl and MvC3 rosters. Can we have some new Nintendo and Capcom characters who haven't appeared in a Smash game nor a MvC game?
Why are you dragging me into this? I only ever posted my opinion on the Capcom side of the roster. Even then I was just switching around Kuma's a bit because it seemed to "MvC3"-ish for my tastes.

Arcadenik

Smash Legend
NNID
Arcadenik
Starphoenix, I'm not flaming you or anything but what about the Nintendo side? Isn't it a bit too "SSB"-ish, you know?

Wouldn't you like Nintendo x Capcom to be different from the SSB series and the MvC series? You know, offer us something that aren't in neither series.

Flame Hyenard

Smash Lord
Wouldn't you like Nintendo x Capcom to be different from the SSB series and the MvC series? You know, offer us something that aren't in neither series.
I do have something for the Nintendo side : REAL alternate costumes (not just recolors).

For example : Mario could choose between his normal outfit and his Dr Mario outfit, while Fox could alternate between his StarFox 64 and Assault outfit ; same for Falco. But the cake goes for Link, in which he can use either his OoT outfit, or his TP outfit.

majora_787

Smash Hero
I do have something for the Nintendo side : REAL alternate costumes (not just recolors).

For example : Mario could choose between his normal outfit and his Dr Mario outfit, while Fox could alternate between his StarFox 64 and Assault outfit ; same for Falco. But the cake goes for Link, in which he can use either his OoT outfit, or his TP outfit.
Peach had one in Melee. Wario has one NOW... I dunno why they took out Peach's, but in all seriousness, some characters wouldn't HAVE one.

Shorts

Zef Side
Premium
3DS FC
3136-6583-3704
I'll try to make it more interesting. I don't know many cpacom games outside of DS, SF, and Megaman

Nintendo:

1. Mario
2. Luigi
3. Bowser
4. Peach
5. Link
6. Zelda
7. Ganondorf
8. Pikachu
9. Mewtwo
10. Samus
11. Ridley
12. Kirby
13. Fox
14. Krystal
15. Little Mac
16. Marth
17. Caeda
18. Isaac
19. Olimar
20. Heroine [Magical Starsign]

Capcom

1. Ryu
2. Chun Li
3. Guile
4. M. Bison
5. Morrigan
6. Demitri
7. Felicia
8. Batsu
9. Hinata
10. Megaman
11. Zero
12. Strider
13. Okami
14. Jill
15. Chris
16. Pheonix Wright
17. Dante
18. Viewtiful Joe
19. Devil King
20. Frank West

Flame Hyenard

Smash Lord
I think the duo Megaman/Zero is a bit redundant, so I'll just throw another character in there : Cutman. He is one of the most popular Robot Masters of the series, plus he can show his "Kung-Fu Cutman !"

Starphoenix

NNID
GalaxyPhoenix
3DS FC
2122-6914-9465
Starphoenix, I'm not flaming you or anything but what about the Nintendo side? Isn't it a bit too "SSB"-ish, you know?

Well I can agree with that. I mean in all seriousness I highly doubt Ness would be a choice either Nintendo or Capcom would make. Especially if, say, Mewtwo was selected.

So I see where you are coming from and do agree with that. There should be a little more diversity. Do remember though because the Smash Bros series has done such a good job of cataloging Nintendo's many series it will be difficult to select anything that might not be construed as "to similar".

Besides, when I think of Link in a 2D fighter my mind comes to this...
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e5ePGaDh1iw

Cuccoo hyper for sure! >_>

Shorts

Zef Side
Premium
3DS FC
3136-6583-3704
I think the duo Megaman/Zero is a bit redundant, so I'll just throw another character in there : Cutman. He is one of the most popular Robot Masters of the series, plus he can show his "Kung-Fu Cutman !"
I would prefer Protoman, I mean he became playable first time ever on the wii!

i8pie

Smash Apprentice
Banjo Kazooie is owned by Rare not Nintendo so it's not likely they'll be in this game.
That is if this game is even made.

ToiseOfChoice

Smash Ace
Just wondering, why do you think so?
This isn't the first time Capcom people have publicly talked about a Nintendo crossover. Technically, this isn't even news. If Nintendo was down for a MvC-style crossover, Capcom wouldn't keep talking about how much they'd love to make such a game, they'd just make it.

It should be pretty obvious that Nintendo wouldn't want to make a game that's too similar yet too different from Smash Bros., and that's basically what a MvC-style crossover would be (or would be perceived as, more accurately). Especially considering Sakurai and Iwata went out of their way to avoid the Street Fighter style of fighters... yeah.

So like I said, they'd either go with Smash Bros. vs. Capcom or just make something else entirely. It should work out either way, given how flexible Capcom is and how much talent exists in both companies. I personally would like some sort of 3D action game along the lines of...

I want a Monster Hunter arena.
...well, at least one person wants what I want.

nobody wants a lung?

asia_catdog_blue

Smash Ace

I was thinking that maybe they can tweak those costumes as well.

Like Dr. Mario throwing Megavitamins.

gantrain05

Smash Master
you know why it won't be a traditional 2d fighter? cuz nintendo obviously hates them, and if the project actually does happen nintendo will basically be pulling the strings because they won't ***** out their characters to a type of game that they don't like. it will NOT be a traditional 2d fighter i can almost promise that.

Starphoenix

NNID
GalaxyPhoenix
3DS FC
2122-6914-9465
This isn't the first time Capcom people have publicly talked about a Nintendo crossover. Technically, this isn't even news. If Nintendo was down for a MvC-style crossover, Capcom wouldn't keep talking about how much they'd love to make such a game, they'd just make it.

It should be pretty obvious that Nintendo wouldn't want to make a game that's too similar yet too different from Smash Bros., and that's basically what a MvC-style crossover would be (or would be perceived as, more accurately). Especially considering Sakurai and Iwata went out of their way to avoid the Street Fighter style of fighters... yeah.

So like I said, they'd either go with Smash Bros. vs. Capcom or just make something else entirely. It should work out either way, given how flexible Capcom is and how much talent exists in both companies. I personally would like some sort of 3D action game along the lines of...
In all fariness just because it has not happened doesn't mean it cannot and will not. The first time anyone within Capcom uttered the idea was Ryota Nitsuma doing interviews after Tastunoko Vs. Capcom: Ultimate All-Stars was released. The first time, when asked which character from any video game he wanted to include into a crossover, he pointed to a gigantic blow up of Mario. The second time he was asked which crossovers would he love to do next, and he listed Nintendo and Square as the two companies he'd love to work with in the future. Now Yoshinori Ono is further adding to that by saying he would also love to direct such a game but takes it a step further by saying he would have it pitched to Masahiro Sakurai. So all of this basically surfaced a year or two ago, so it hasn't been that long.

I posted a much longer opinion piece on this in another forum but I will extract the main point here. A game such as this, a traditional 2D crossover fighter developed by Capcom, would benefit both companies greatly. If Nintendo does indeed have a new console coming relatively soon such a game developed would benefit this unrevealed console. It would be a hardcore game that could appeal to the average consumer just by the characters alone. That benefits Capcom because that means their game sells thousands, possibly millions of copies worldwide. Nintendo gets the credit of their new console having exclusive, "gamers" games and better third party connections while Capcom receives a guaranteed seller.

Shorts

Zef Side
Premium
3DS FC
3136-6583-3704
IF this was to happen, I could almost garuntee you we would have a capcom third party character. Still I big IF mind you.

Starphoenix

NNID
GalaxyPhoenix
3DS FC
2122-6914-9465
IF this was to happen, I could almost garuntee you we would have a capcom third party character. Still I big IF mind you.
It's possible that could be the deal they strike. After all Sonic and Mario at the Olympics came and then we had Sonic the Hedgehog in Brawl. Not that there is a proven correlation as Nintendo themselves have never said anything. Given the only pattern we have to go off it is plausible, at the very least.

Big-Cat

Challenge accepted.
NNID
KumaOso
3DS FC
1590-4853-0104

You mean like gameplay?

Shorts

Zef Side
Premium
3DS FC
3136-6583-3704
It's possible that could be the deal they strike. After all Sonic and Mario at the Olympics came and then we had Sonic the Hedgehog in Brawl. Not that there is a proven correlation as Nintendo themselves have never said anything. Given the only pattern we have to go off it is plausible, at the very least.
I would probably cry if the character wasn't Ryu, Chun Li, Megaman, Jill, or Morrigan.

I don't need frank west or Viewtifishingjoe in smash bros. >.<

ToiseOfChoice

Smash Ace
In all fariness just because it has not happened doesn't mean it cannot and will not. The first time anyone within Capcom uttered the idea was Ryota Nitsuma doing interviews after Tastunoko Vs. Capcom: Ultimate All-Stars was released. The first time, when asked which character from any video game he wanted to include into a crossover, he pointed to a gigantic blow up of Mario. The second time he was asked which crossovers would he love to do next, and he listed Nintendo and Square as the two companies he'd love to work with in the future. Now Yoshinori Ono is further adding to that by saying he would also love to direct such a game but takes it a step further by saying he would have it pitched to Masahiro Sakurai. So all of this basically surfaced a year or two ago, so it hasn't been that long.
My mistake then, I thought the first suggestion was before TvC. Knew there were three though, woo.

I posted a much longer opinion piece on this in another forum but I will extract the main point here. A game such as this, a traditional 2D crossover fighter developed by Capcom, would benefit both companies greatly. If Nintendo does indeed have a new console coming relatively soon such a game developed would benefit this unrevealed console. It would be a hardcore game that could appeal to the average consumer just by the characters alone. That benefits Capcom because that means their game sells thousands, possibly millions of copies worldwide. Nintendo gets the credit of their new console having exclusive, "gamers" games and better third party connections while Capcom receives a guaranteed seller.
Think you missed what I'm trying to say:

None of the potential benefits you listed are exclusive to the genre, but look at the inherent negatives: the niche popularity of Capcom's fighting crossovers, the inevitable negative comparisons to Smash Bros., and the fact that Ono's hopeful co-director doesn't want to make that sort of game.

A Smash Bros. game works because, well, it's just a new Smash with tons of guests this time, no problem there. Something else entirely has the potential for pretty much anything.

Now here's the big question: What incentive does Nintendo have for making it a traditional 2D fighter?

SuperMetroid44

Smash Lord
Guys, if you're going to discuss Nintendo vs. Capcom, then go make another thread about it since it's off-topic. Unless you mean for SSB4, but that's like HIGHLY unlikely. :p

Arcadenik

Smash Legend
NNID
Arcadenik
What do I want from Nintendo x Capcom? I want it to be a traditional 2D fighter like Street Fighter IV and Marvel vs. Capcom 3, only with Nintendo and Capcom characters who have or have not been in SSB and MvC games. What do I want from Super Smash Bros. 4? I want it to stay the same like the last three games with MANY Nintendo characters and FEW third-party characters (Sonic and classic Mega Man come to mind). Oh, and I would love it if we get both Nintendo x Capcom AND Super Smash Bros. 4 on the "Wii2" so that way, we have the option of playing with Nintendo characters either the traditional style or the Smash style on one console! Now on to the Nintendo x Capcom roster I would love to see:

Nintendo characters
1. Bowser
2. Captain Rainbow
3. Donkey Kong (with Diddy Kong)
4. Fox (with the Star Fox team)
5. Ganondorf / Ganon
6. Isaac (Dark Dawn version; Matthew for SSB4)
7. Kirby (Epic Yarn version; regular Kirby for SSB4)
8. Link (Toon version with TWW/FSA moves plus Toon Zelda's Phantom; regular Link for SSB4)
9. Little Mac
10. Majora's Mask (a bit like Shuma-Gorath plus Majora's Incarnation/Wrath forms)
11. Mario (with Luigi and Yoshi)
12. Meowth (a bit like Felicia plus Team Rocket's Pokemon from 1st gen and 2nd gen games)
13. Mewtwo
14. Mike Jones (Star Tropics)
15. Olimar
16. Peach (with Toad)
17. Petey Piranha (possibly a bit like Amingo from MvC2)
18. Pikachu (maybe a bit like Blanka but with Red's 1st gen evolving starters)
19. Pit
20. Ridley
21. Samus / Zero Suit Samus
22. Sukapon (Joy Mech Fight)
23. Takamaru (The Mysterious Murasame Castle)
24. Wario (with Wario Land moves and transformations)
25. Zoroark (possibly a bit like Jon Talbain but with Entei, Raikou, and Suicune illusions)

Capcom characters
1. Amaterasu
2. Arthur
3. Bass
4. Cammy
5. Captain Commando
6. Chun-Li
7. Deis (Breath of Fire)
8. Demitri Maximoff
9. Frank West
10. Leo (Red Earth)
11. Leon S. Kennedy
12. M. Bison
13. MegaMan.EXE (classic Mega Man for SSB4)
14. Mike Haggar
15. Morrigan Aensland
16. Nathan "Rad" Spencer (Rearmed version, not MvC3 version)
17. Ryu (Breath of Fire; the Ryu from the first game)
18. Ryu (Street Fighter)
19. Snow Bros. (a bit like Ice Climbers but with Storm's winter powers thrown in for good measure)
20. Sonson (NES version, not MvC2 version but he plays similar to the MvC2 version)
21. Strider Hiryu
22. Tessa (Red Earth)
23. Tron Bonne
24. Viewtiful Joe
25. Zero

Big-Cat

Challenge accepted.
NNID
KumaOso
3DS FC
1590-4853-0104
yeah, im sure black ops is more played lol
I was referring to Wii games and Black Ops wasn't released back in September.

EDIT: For nine months that I've had SSFIV, I have 475:17 for the amount of hours I've put in. Of course, not all of it was me playing. Sometimes, I left on it training mode for a while.

ryuu seika

Smash Master
In terms of gameplay, I'd want a traditional 2D fighter but with platforms and such in the stages (edges are still solid, not smash like). Also, it should combo like a regular fighter for the most part but have knockback increase as health goes down because bouncing opponents off walls is awesome.

SuperMetroid44

Smash Lord
What do I want from Nintendo x Capcom? I want it to be a traditional 2D fighter like Street Fighter IV and Marvel vs. Capcom 3, only with Nintendo and Capcom characters who have or have not been in SSB and MvC games. What do I want from Super Smash Bros. 4? I want it to stay the same like the last three games with MANY Nintendo characters and FEW third-party characters (Sonic and classic Mega Man come to mind). Oh, and I would love it if we get both Nintendo x Capcom AND Super Smash Bros. 4 on the "Wii2" so that way, we have the option of playing with Nintendo characters either the traditional style or the Smash style on one console! Now on to the Nintendo x Capcom roster I would love to see:

Nintendo characters
1. Bowser
2. Captain Rainbow
3. Donkey Kong (with Diddy Kong)
4. Fox (with the Star Fox team)
5. Ganondorf / Ganon
6. Isaac (Dark Dawn version; Matthew for SSB4)
7. Kirby (Epic Yarn version; regular Kirby for SSB4)
8. Link (Toon version with TWW/FSA moves plus Toon Zelda's Phantom; regular Link for SSB4)
9. Little Mac
10. Majora's Mask (a bit like Shuma-Gorath plus Majora's Incarnation/Wrath forms)
11. Mario (with Luigi and Yoshi)
12. Meowth (a bit like Felicia plus Team Rocket's Pokemon from 1st gen and 2nd gen games)
13. Mewtwo
14. Mike Jones (Star Tropics)
15. Olimar
16. Peach (with Toad)
17. Petey Piranha (possibly a bit like Amingo from MvC2)
18. Pikachu (maybe a bit like Blanka but with Red's 1st gen evolving starters)
19. Pit
20. Ridley
21. Samus / Zero Suit Samus
22. Sukapon (Joy Mech Fight)
23. Takamaru (The Mysterious Murasame Castle)
24. Wario (with Wario Land moves and transformations)
25. Zoroark (possibly a bit like Jon Talbain but with Entei, Raikou, and Suicune illusions)

Capcom characters
1. Amaterasu
2. Arthur
3. Bass
4. Cammy
5. Captain Commando
6. Chun-Li
7. Deis (Breath of Fire)
8. Demitri Maximoff
9. Frank West
10. Leo (Red Earth)
11. Leon S. Kennedy
12. M. Bison
13. MegaMan.EXE (classic Mega Man for SSB4)
14. Mike Haggar
15. Morrigan Aensland
16. Nathan "Rad" Spencer (Rearmed version, not MvC3 version)
17. Ryu (Breath of Fire; the Ryu from the first game)
18. Ryu (Street Fighter)
19. Snow Bros. (a bit like Ice Climbers but with Storm's winter powers thrown in for good measure)
20. Sonson (NES version, not MvC2 version but he plays similar to the MvC2 version)
21. Strider Hiryu
22. Tessa (Red Earth)
23. Tron Bonne
24. Viewtiful Joe
25. Zero
This is COMPLETELY off-topic. >.>

n88

Smash Lord
NvC isn't completely off-topic, as it would have a good chance of ending up very similar to Smash, which would make it much like a Smash 4. There's also the possibility of NvC pretty much being Smash 4.

And in any case, the thread does get a bit off-topic every now and then, but don't worry. NvC buzz will die down soon enough, and then all the "RIDLEY IS TOO BIG :mad:" and "GENO IS VERY POPULAR!!! :mad:" will come back.

Shorts

Zef Side
Premium
3DS FC
3136-6583-3704
About my ssb4 poll, I want to remind everyone who is participating that I would like all character suggstions in BY ONE tomorrow (Pacific Time) so just a friendly reminder :)

I'll be around to pm those people as well.

asia_catdog_blue

Smash Ace
NvC isn't completely off-topic, as it would have a good chance of ending up very similar to Smash, which would make it much like a Smash 4. There's also the possibility of NvC pretty much being Smash 4.

And in any case, the thread does get a bit off-topic every now and then, but don't worry. NvC buzz will die down soon enough, and then all the "RIDLEY IS TOO BIG :mad:" and "GENO IS VERY POPULAR!!! :mad:" will come back.
Hey... if it does become a traditional fight, then Ridley would have a better chance.

Size does not abide in normal scrolling brawlers. Thank you, Sentinel.

Arcadenik

Smash Legend
NNID
Arcadenik
If a character were so big and you knocked them off the stage, they would just grab the ledge without you having to press the jump button. :p

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom