• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

[Official SSB4 Discussion] --- Nintendo announces 2 new Smash games!

Status
Not open for further replies.

ChronoBound

Smash Hero
I am not sure if there any characters out there right now that can be called a "shoe-in" for Smash 4 like there were for Brawl and Melee. Even popular choices like Ridley, K. Rool, Little Mac, Isaac, and Mega Man have some sort of flaw that may inhibit their chances of inclusion as a playable character into Smash 4.

Also, I say that Smash 4's development could very well begin a year from now, which means we could see a trailer (with a few newcomers) at E32012. Still, at the very least I do not see Sakurai beginning development Smash 4 at the earliest until Kid Icarus: Uprising is released. Sakurai said he wanted to work on a HD console for his new project after Kid Icarus, and since Nintendo's next console is likely going to be HD, Smash 4 could very well be his next project.

Starphoenix

How Long Have I Been Asleep?
NNID
GalaxyPhoenix
3DS FC
2122-6914-9465
There was one guy that did that except he stopped after doing 200 for some reason.
I know who you are referring too, Ryuji92. He started the whole massive MTCHW Youtube phenomenon, he had many great videos but for whatever reason he locked his Youtube account and deleted his videos. An explanation would be nice simply because I am curious to what happened? I'm hoping if I go through with this it would be as moderately successful as his were. Difference is I probably won't accept requests (at least in the conception) due to how daunting a task can become once a program catches on like that.

I thought about the enemy moves thing but the notable ones all seem too unusual for him (stuff like Bull Charge, Magic Punch, or most of the SPO gimmicks). Seems weird for him to do all sorts of flashy stuff aside from the Star Punch.

Would this music channel be full of files available for download perchance?
I was thinking more like Super Macho Man's clothesline spin and some moves from the Irish guy (his name escapes me) and Don "Mr. Man" Flamenco.

Music files? Probably not, there are places you can go to find game MP3's. They are not that difficult to find. Right now I'll need to get me an external capture card so once I save up some money from work and depending what time is leftover after work and college I'll see when I can begin this new expedition.

I am not sure if there any characters out there right now that can be called a "shoe-in" for Smash 4 like there were for Brawl and Melee. Even popular choices like Ridley, K. Rool, Little Mac, Isaac, and Mega Man have some sort of flaw that may inhibit their chances of inclusion as a playable character into Smash 4.

Also, I say that Smash 4's development could very well begin a year from now, which means we could see a trailer (with a few newcomers) at E32012. Still, at the very least I do not see Sakurai beginning development Smash 4 at the earliest until Kid Icarus: Uprising is released. Sakurai said he wanted to work on a HD console for his new project after Kid Icarus, and since Nintendo's next console is likely going to be HD, Smash 4 could very well be his next project.
I think the more pressing concern is how many characters can they choose who will not end up being "predictable" picks?

ToiseOfChoice

Smash Ace
I was thinking more like Super Macho Man's clothesline spin and some moves from the Irish guy (his name escapes me) and Don "Mr. Man" Flamenco.

Music files? Probably not, there are places you can go to find game MP3's. They are not that difficult to find. Right now I'll need to get me an external capture card so once I save up some money from work and depending what time is leftover after work and college I'll see when I can begin this new expedition.
You know, I forgot we were talking about B moves and I was gonna say "well those are fine I guess, gotta fill out those A moves somehow." I'm still not digging the enemy moves idea though, bleah.

And I meant brtrmtmsmtsm whatever they are, the already-converted and ready to use kind of file.

What does Mac have going against him?

And yeah, Kuma's got it: what's considered predictable is in the eye of the beholder, and given all the "realistic" rosters I see so often, people are gonna be in for a surprise no matter what.

Not that being predictable matters, we need those characters to last us for the following 7 years or so.

ChronoBound

Smash Hero
What does Mac have going against him?

And yeah, Kuma's got it: what's considered predictable is in the eye of the beholder, and given all the "realistic" rosters I see so often, people are gonna be in for a surprise no matter what.

Not that being predictable matters, we need those characters to last us for the following 7 years or so.
Sakurai decided against the Urban Champion due to "all he can do is punch". Sakurai might look at Little Mac the same way.

As to "predictability", Brawl's roster was mostly predictable. The only surprises on it were Snake, Zero Suit Samus, and ROB. Pokemon Trainer was half surprising in that a playable trainer was highly requested among the Japanese Smash Bros. fans, however, he was a surprise in that it ended up being the original starters being the characters fighting for him. Melee, for better or worse, had much more surprises in both number and proportion.

I think there will be one or two "surprise" characters for Smash 4's roster, most likely one of the guests and some sort of retro character. Otherwise, most of them will be the few major characters from veteran series (Ridley, K. Rool) or main characters from unrepresented minor series (Little Mac, Issac) that are not yet playable. I also expect Smash 4 to rely on "flavor-of-the-month" characters for its roster as well, and will probably extend beyond Fire Emblem and Pokemon this time.

Pieman0920

Smash Master
Just to throw it out there, Pokemon Trainer was one of the biggest surprises, not just a half surprise, because of the way he was implemented. People that had requested him before didn't expect him to work that way, and assumed he'd be punching and kicking Pikachu or something, rather than using Squirtle, Ivysaur, and Charizard. Wolf was also a surprise, though not in a good way, since most people assumed that Krystal would take the spot, not him.

BirthNote

Smash Master
NNID
GeneticDestiny
I agree with the surprise fighters that were already mentioned, but...nobody thought that Olimar was a surprise? And Wario; he was an obvious choice, but he came in as a Wario Ware version instead of the Wario Land based fighter.

gorgon.

Smash Ace
When I saw Olimar appear in the dojo, I cried.

I was definitely hoping he would be a character but I never really thought he would be, given his size and slight obscurity. But I guess it isn't the only time they pulled a moveset out their *** for a character that has next to nothing to work with, nor the first time they resized a character. Personally I think his moveset is excellent, and clearly I have no bias given my avatar and sig..

ToiseOfChoice

Smash Ace
Sakurai decided against the Urban Champion due to "all he can do is punch". Sakurai might look at Little Mac the same way.
Well, to be fair, Urban Champion was directly competing against a bunch of other forgotten NES characters for playability. I'm pretty sure his thought there was "who works the best out of this vaguely defined bunch?"

That and Mac's got more zazz, you know? Even in the 80's Mac had more style than the Urban Champion guy. I'd be awfully surprised if Sakurai refused to do anything with him, especially since, as everyone else has noted, he's done a lot with less.

I also expect Smash 4 to rely on "flavor-of-the-month" characters for its roster as well, and will probably extend beyond Fire Emblem and Pokemon this time.
Based on what?

Fawfulcopter

Smash Apprentice
So, I just read the current page, and from what I can understand, wait, hold on, Little Mac? What?
If we're talking about Little Mac, allow me to pull a Little Mac moveset out of a...ah...erm...'questionable area'.
His A moves would consist mostly of punches, and by mostly, I mean, every single move would be a different punch. Sidewinders, Jabs, Maybe his Grabs can be Bear Hugs or something. Borrow from all different fighting styles, including those of Other Punch-Out!! characters.
As for Specials, those would also be all punches. Just to show that you can do a hell of a lot with a punch.
Neutral Special: Bullet Punch-Starts out slowly, punching semi quickly, and builds up speed until he's punching so fast that his arm is just a blur. Punches are flying all around him, and are doing kind of chip damage. This would be a good move for racking up damage, to lay the finishing move with some strong Smashes, or other B moves.
Up Special:Flying Uppercut-Crouches down for a split second before doing a powerful, flying uppercut, with a little of a spin to it as well. This is his recovery move, and it had better be damn good. He isn't chasing that bike for nothing, now is he?
Side Special:Bull Rush-This is an interesting move that I'va actually been thinking about for a while. He'd jump a couple steps back, and then rush forward, repeatedly punching. It would be quite powerful, but with one downside. Much like Bald Bull in the original Punch Out!!, He doesn't stop until he hits. He's going forward a bit during this too, so if you're especially trolling, if you see your foe doing this move, you can jump over, so that he keeps going until he just walks off the edge.
Down Special:Block-This would be similar, but not exactly like other Counter moves, a la Ike, Marth, Lucario. This one, however, would have him blocking with his hands, and if he's hit, he takes half the normal damage, but no knockback, and then counters. This is in contrast to Marth's, let's say, as his simply has him dodge and strike back, not taking damage. However, to make up for this, Mac's does more damage. Say Marth's returns the same amount(Don't quote me on that), Little Mac's returns with double, OR, at least, returns in full and stuns the opponent, ready for a finisher.
Final Smash:Giga Mac-Little Mac transforms into Giga Mac, just as he did in Punch-Out!! for the Wii! Now you pretty much go to town on beating up your opponents. It'd be similar to Final Smashes like Bowser's, Wario's, etc.

So yeah, I just made that up on the spot, and I'd sure play as Little Mac if he kicked that much tuckus.

ChronoBound

Smash Hero
Based on what?
I know that Punch-Out Wii bombed in Japan, so that might inhibit Little Mac's selection into a playable character.

As to the usage of more "flavor-of-the-month" characters, I feel that is primarily the case considering that there are only a few major series mainstays left to be placed in (the most notable ones not from Mario are Ridley and maybe K. Rool). The "flavors-of-the-month" despite being simply a "fad" and likely will never appear in another game within their own series (as was the case with Sheik), they hold more recognition compared to side characters of veteran series in the time frame of their release, they also hold the potential to become quite popular as (the case was with Sheik, Lucario, Ike, and Roy).

Also, many series in the interim between Brawl and Smash 4 so far have not received any new releases (most notably F-Zero, Star Fox, and Mother). While Donkey Kong and Kirby had some major new releases, the former omitted any major previous characters (K. Rool and Dixie) while the latter did offer a potential new character (Prince Fluff in Epic Yarn), however, the new character is much too similar to be utilized outside of a clone moveset.

I am particularly disturbed that K. Rool has been absent in the latest two main DK platformers (Jungle Beat and DKC Returns), and perhaps that might serve to inhibit his inclusion. Most of his post DK64 appearance's have been in low budget Paon-developed Donkey Kong games (DK: King of Swing, Donkey Kong: Jungle Climber, Bongo Blast), with the notable exception of Mario Baseball Wii (which was his first appearance in a Mario spinoff title). If K. Rool does not make another appearance in another game prior to Smash 4, it is quite likely that he could be overlooked for playable inclusion in favor of more active Nintendo characters or "flavors-of-the-month".

Ridley is the only other character from a veteran series that has a large importance in a veteran series (outside of Toad and Bowser Jr. for the Mario series). However, if Sakurai's team continues to feel "lol too big", then he will also be overlooked for inclusion, despite being one of the few Nintendo characters left with any star power.

Black Shadow and Samurai Goroh are both inhibited by the fact that F-Zero has not had a new release since late 2004. It did not receive an installment on the massively popular DS., and has not received a new game on the Wii despite it being four years into the console's life cycle. Unless there is a new F-Zero before development for Smash 4 begins, I feel Falcon will be the sole playable character for F-Zero again.

Sakurai seemed to trend toward "recentness" in Brawl, with many of the stages that were added being based on games that came out in the interim between Melee and Brawl (Delfino Plaza, Rumble Falls, Eldin Bridge, Pirate Ship, Frigate Orpheon, Spear Pillar, Port Town Aero Dive, New Pork City, Electroplankton, Pictochat). A lot of the characters were also ones that were introduced in the interim between Melee and Brawl, such as Zero Suit Samus, Ike, Lucas, Lucario, and Toon Link.

I will be very curious to see which characters Sakurai selects for the unveil of Smash 4. I think what characters newcomers we see with the unveil could give us a more clear assessment in regards to the possible direction Sakurai might be taking in regards to the roster selection for the latest Smash Bros.

However, it is also perhaps worth contemplating that Sakurai may hold off announcing or unveiling Smash 4 until it is almost near completion (as was the case with Kirby's Epic Yarn, Donkey Kong Country Returns), and not simply a few months into development as was the case with Brawl (development for Brawl began in October 2005). We also saw this Skyward Sword (though I have the feeling that Skyward Sword will end up being delayed until the second half of 2011 in case they do not have big holiday title prepared). So if this is the case, there would be a relatively high probability for which Nintendo to announce Smash 4 at E3 2013 instead of E3 2012, even if development for Smash 4 does begin in late 2011.

Fawfulcopter

Smash Apprentice
Not Lyn. Lyn was the least important of the 3 co-stars of her game.
Eirika, despite being the main star of her game, her game sold poorly and was met with plenty of dislike, so she's unlikely.

If a Female FE character does get in, it will either be Micaiah, for the newest 'new' FE, or a new character from an upcoming game. If the only FE game released inbetween now and SSB4 is a remake of Sigurd's game, I'd bet money that Sigurd gets in, and if a female FE character is in, it would be the supporting female from that game.

Also, I think I've finalized my roster. I'd like some feedback. Next to each newcomer, marked with 2 dashes, is my reasons for choosing that character over others. I've got an even 50 characters, and the unlockables are split evenly; that is, there's 25 starting characters, and the 25 unlockables are marked with a star.

Mario row:
Mario
*Luigi
Peach
Bowser
*Bowser Jr.--Bowser Jr. has been a very major character as of late, appearing in ever major Mario game since his conception. To review, that's Mario Sunshine, NSMB, Galaxy, NSMBWii and Galaxy 2. He's also made major appearances in spinoff games. This, coupled with his villainy(We really need more villains and females, and this roster reflects that), is more than enough to secure him a spot. Also, no, he would not transform into Shadow Mario. That was only one game, and it was last gen. Since then he has had 4 major appearances to draw moves from. And it'd be stealing Zelda's gimmick.

Mario Spinoff row:
Donkey Kong
*Diddy Kong
Yoshi
*Kamek--Kamek is practically THE villain of the Yoshi series, the only other notable foe being another 'the same character but a little younger' type character(See Young Link and Pichu). As stated, we do need villains, and with the huge amount of Kongs and Kremlings in DKCR, I somehow doubt K. Rool or Dixie is going to get in. In addition, unless we get another Wario Land game, the only really probable Wario character, Captain Syrup, will not have had a game in a while. In addition, Yoshi is the most overlooked of the 3 series from SSB64 that only ever got one character, and because the sheer amount of Yoshi games almost triples that of Mother, I'd say Yoshi, like Metroid and F-Zero, is damn well deserving of another character.
Wario

Legend of Zelda row:
Link
Zelda/Sheik
Ganondorf
*Toon Link
*Toon Zelda/Tetra--I chose Tetra/Toon Zelda because we need more females, and the only other viable character for the Zelda franchise, Tingle, has his own series of 4 games so far, and deserves to represent his own Sub-series(Which he does, on this roster). Toon Zelda had a major role in Spirit Tracks, the most recent Zelda title, and until Skyward Sword is released, or at least until more is known about that Blue Girl, I'd say this is the most likely choice.

Metroid, Various row:
Samus/ZSS
*Ridley--This should be pretty self-explanatory to most. Ridley is the main villainous character of the Metroid franchise, and his normal size, in both the Melee intro and in Metroid, is about the size of Bowser. The only size issue is his wingspan, but that's honestly not too big of a problem(C wut I did thar). Like I mentioned, Every franchise from the original SSB deserves at least 2 characters. Since Other M came out recently, I'm sure that Metroid will get another character, and considering Metroid as a whole, I'm sure it will be Ridley.
Villager--Despite what anyone says, Animal Crossing, even with an item, assist trophy and stage, deserves a playable character. I mean, it's obvious Sakurai's a fan. I mean, a series with no playable characters got a stage, Item AND Assist Trophy? Not to mention the billions of Animal Crossing trophies; I mean, seriously, not only does he have a Tom Nook trophy, but also Tommy and Timmy Nook? And Perry, and Phyllis, and Wendell, and the Able Sisters? And how many Smash Bros fans know who Katrina is, eh? It's obvious Sakurai favors the series, and it seems like the only reason there isn't a character is due to his lack of imagination for a moveset. Well, the Villager, that's your character, uses a wide variety of tools and items in the games. Slingshots, Axes, Fishing Rods, Butterfly Nets, Balloons, Watering Cans, Shovels, Pitfalls, Furniture and Bags of Bells can easily be implemented into a moveset. And even better, if you have Animal Crossing Save Data, maybe you can play as your personal character, whereas if you don't, you get a selection, mostly of appearances on boxarts, such as flattened hair and a Red #1 shirt based on the City Folk Box art as his Red costume, or a Hat and a Clover shirt for his Green costume? Maybe have a costume in Tom Nook's worker clothers or something, I don't know! And like Wario, you could choose to be female, or male.
*Tingle--Tingle is arguably the only really 'important' Zelda character that isn't another variation on Link, Zelda and Ganondorf. And really, there's only so far you can go before you've moved past Link, Toon Link, Young Link, Dark Link and Four Swords Link and are now seriously considering Link to the Past Link, or Link's Awakening Link. Tingle has, if you're considering a timeline, more appearances than any particular Zelda character besides Ganondorf. The most any one Link has ever appeared in 4 times, and that's OoT Link, the one that appeared in OoT, MM, SSB and SSBM. Some claim that this Link also appeared in LA, but that's debatable. And even if you're not counting SSB, than the most any one link has appeared is twice, being the same one, although tied with Toon Link(WW, Spirit Tracks is a new Link and zelda), TP Link, Classic Link and C-Di Link. Besides that, Tingle is hugely popular in Japan, and in case you forgot, this game is Japanese.
Isaac--Yes yes, I'm well aware that the Japanese aren't big fans of Golden Sun. But Golden Sun is quite popular in America, and considering its 3 games, it should get equal time with Mother. The only reason I don't have 2 GS characters is because there's other, more deserving series that need reps(See: Tingle, Animal Crossing, Starfy). Not to mention that no other character on the roster has earth-based abilities; we've got Aura powers, Darkness powers, Fie, Ice, Electric, Generic Magic, Water, Plant, and Wind-based elements on the roster in Brawl(See: Lucario, Ganondorf, Bowser, Lucas, Pikachu, Zelda, Squirtle, Ivysaur, Link's Boomerang), but nobody uses Earth. Also, nobody is a dual Warrior/Caster type(Although hen Ganondorf is decloned, he'd better be that too) yet.

Kirby, Various 2 row:
Kirby
*Metaknight
Dedede
Olimar
*Starfy--Starfy, despite being slow to get out of Japan, made it as far as to got an AT appearance. The games are pretty much iconic of the GBA, and also already have 2 games out for DS. I'd say this is probably not the best character choice, but there's really nothing else. Kirby isn't worth of another character, and there hasn't been any sign of a new Custom Robo or Chibi-Robo game. I've added 4 Contemporary-type series to this game, in contrast to Melee's 1(Fire Emblem) and Brawl's 2(WarioWare and Pikmin), mainly so as not to overrepresent existing series. For example, it's not fair to give Kirby or Starfox 4 characters, when that's only one away from something like Mario or Pokemon. So, I went with a more contemporary feel to this game. If it doesn't float your boat, that's fine, but keeping it at aat 50 characters really forces me to choose between things like Starfy and Ray, things like Toad and Bowser Jr., things like Blaziken or Pichu(Hint; neither). I decided Starfy is more relevant, and combined with his moveset potential, I think we could have a good choice on our hands here.

Starfox & F-Zero row:
Fox
*Wolf
*Krystal--I originally had both Falco and Krystal, but I decided that the unique, female, main love interest character has a bit more relevance that the same-y, sausagefest, secondary sidekick character(One of a few sidekicks, others being Peppy, Slippy, and Krystal herself). And I didn't want a moderately sized franchise have almost as many characters as Nintendo's 3 biggest franchises ever, Mario, Zelda and Pokemon. So, due to fanbase and the reasons mentioned above, I chose Krystal.
Captain Falcon
*Samurai Goroh--Well, pretty much everyone here agrees that F-Zero needs another character, for the same reasons as Metroid and Yoshi, right? So why Goroh? Well, it's obvious Nintendo likes him more than Black Shadow; he's portrayed as cooler, better, and stronger than Black Shadow, he was in Melee's intro, and was in Brawl as an AT. Not to mention that being a heavyset Samurai, he's basically got a moveset right there, whereas Shadow would probably end up adopting Ganondork's old moveset(Misspelling intentional), and nobody wants more clones, right?

Pokémon row:
Pikachu
*Jigglypuff
Pokemon Trainer(Squirtle/Ivysaur/Charizard)
*Zoroark--Do I even need to explain this? It would only wast my time and effort. If you really need an explanation for him, go ahead and ask.
*Plusle and Minun--Now, I debated over this. I personally prefer Blaziken, but unless May somehow gets prominently featured in the anime again, that's rather unlikely. I also really wanted a 3rd Gen rep, as 1st, 2nd and 4th have all gotten characters, but 3rd Gen was skipped over. Until recently, I was against Plusle and Minun, especially when people's reasoning was them being found in the Brawl data(Lolno, that was Every Player, aka Random). But I recently saw a roster with a nice reason for having them, that being to represent double battles; after all, Mewtwo represented Legendaries, Pichu represented babies, and PT represents your player character, so why not have another Pokemon character representative of some aspect of the games? And I'm not thinking that there's a character trio for Triple Battles, and even so, it'd have to be another 5th gen.

Fire Emblem, Mother row:
*Marth
*Ike
Sigurd--Explanation coming soon, I'm in a hurry
Ness
*Lucas

Retro row:
Ice Climbers
Pit
Little Mac--Explanation soon
*ROB
*Sukapon--Coming Soon

Third Party, VArious row:
*Mr. Game & Watch
*Sonic
*Snake
*Megaman--Coming Soon
Mii-Coming soon

So, give your opinions, and Ciao!

Snakeyes

Smash Journeyman
I dunno if some of you have played a Megami Tensei game before, but I think its characters could make pretty good additions to a future SSB. While the series became popular on Sony platforms, it started out on the NES, just like Metal Gear.

Most games in the series are cyberpunk/sci-fi RPGs with a strong emphasis on monster (demon) collecting.

Another character I'd like to see is Isa from Sin & Punishment 2

Dynamite

Smash Apprentice
I have some ideas for online mode:

1. Ranking (Your rank starts at 0 and it's max is 10000. Your ranking goes up and down by how well you fight and by winning or losing. e.g. you get in 3rd place BUT you made great combos and got alot of kills so your ranking goes from 55 to 62 but if you get in 3rd and all you did was taunt, spam, and SD then you go from 55 to 47. lol, mabey there will be less taunt parties online.)
2. A Title. (e.g. if you run away from your opponents your title will be "Coward" or if your good at doing combos your title is "Combo King" that is if there is more hitstun lol.)
3. Duel (In this mode you only fight against one person with items automatically off and the only stages you can fight on are FD or Battlefield.)
4. Free-For-All
5. Team Battle
6. Spectate
7. Custom Stage Fights (Play on people's custom stages.)

You will see your opponents Title and Rank before the match and you will usually be matched with people whos ranking is close to yours. No lag would also be good. Oh, here are some other title ideas:

Smash Legend: (You have to be an excellent smasher, your ranking is or near it's limit, and you must have ALOT of wins.
Taunter: (You mostly taunt.)
Spammer: (You mostly spam.)
Flying Ace: (Excellent air game.)
Bully: (You mostly fight opponents with high damage.)
Duelist: (You mostly duel.)
Newb: (Your default title.)
Iron Wall: (Your play very defensive.)
Itemfighter: (You use items alot.)
Smasher: (You get this title when your ranking is average.)
EdgeGuarder: (Very good at edgeguarding.)
Selfdestructer: (SDs alot)
Quitter: (You quit alot.)

Meh, I'm tired of thinking of title ideas lol. I know some of my ideas are bad lol but I do have some good ones right?

mystery_dungeon

Smash Journeyman
Sidemoon Sidemoon. Welc welc ome welc omeome.
Little Mac is the bomb. I would love it if Aran Ryan's glove-on-a-rope was an item.
To add on, if you get KO'd from the sides, the glove gets thrown straight at the character who KO'd you as a last second attempt at KOing the other. (Just like Aran Ryan to Little Mac)
Only way to dodge that is by ducking (sidedodging didn't work for Mac, so it won't work here) right when it's being thrown at you.

i8pie

Smash Apprentice

1. Ranking (Your rank starts at 0 and it's max is 10000. Your ranking goes up and down by how well you fight and by winning or losing. e.g. you get in 3rd place BUT you made great combos and got alot of kills so your ranking goes from 55 to 62 but if you get in 3rd and all you did was taunt, spam, and SD then you go from 55 to 47. lol, mabey there will be less taunt parties online.)
2. A Title. (e.g. if you run away from your opponents your title will be "Coward" or if your good at doing combos your title is "Combo King" that is if there is more hitstun lol.)
3. Duel (In this mode you only fight against one person with items automatically off and the only stages you can fight on are FD or Battlefield.)
4. Free-For-All
5. Team Battle
6. Spectate

You will see your opponents Title and Rank before the match and you will usually be matched with people whos ranking is close to yours. No lag would also be good.
Most of the titles you have come up with are alright. But I think it's better to base the titles off of the Records thing in the Data section e.g. Most self-destructs, most distance travelled, drowns, most KO's etc.

But the main problem I've found here is that it wouldn't help anyone to have titles. People could just QUIT if they lose, or disconnect, and they'd avoid getting losses. Or people could just make a party together and take it in turns to just kill each other, pushing up their KO number unjustly.

I think that to make Online better, they should make some sort of Lobby and a leader can create rooms with their own names, so you'd know if you were going to a serious fight or a taunt party and in the waiting room, it could show other players friend codes, so if you meet someone good you could add them.

If they do a ranking system though, they could do two modes; one of them is a ranking match where High Ranked characters are barred from fighting Low Ranked characters for cheap kills. The other is a normal Brawl Mode where there are no rankings/wins counted towards ranking and you can fight anyone.

Also, regarding characters, it doesn't seem like there's much choice aside from 3rd parties. Nearly all of the possible characters for the next game are assist trophies already and there aren't many other big names they could add to the roster.
They could do more reboots like they did with Kid Icarus, but there's not that much left to work with. We practically know what newcomers there will be, excluding any new series' Nintendo come up with and 3rd party characters.

Fawfulcopter

Smash Apprentice
I think I've finalized my roster. I'd like some feedback. Next to each newcomer, marked with 2 dashes, is my reasons for choosing that character over others. I've got an even 50 characters, and the unlockables are split evenly; that is, there's 25 starting characters, and the 25 unlockables are marked with a star. And yes, I edited most of this into my last post, but it's a new page, and I don't think anybody saw it, so here we go.

Mario row:
Mario
*Luigi
Peach
Bowser
*Bowser Jr.--Bowser Jr. has been a very major character as of late, appearing in ever major Mario game since his conception. To review, that's Mario Sunshine, NSMB, Galaxy, NSMBWii and Galaxy 2. He's also made major appearances in spinoff games. This, coupled with his villainy(We really need more villains and females, and this roster reflects that), is more than enough to secure him a spot. Also, no, he would not transform into Shadow Mario. That was only one game, and it was last gen. Since then he has had 4 major appearances to draw moves from. And it'd be stealing Zelda's gimmick.

Mario Spinoff row:
Donkey Kong
*Diddy Kong
Yoshi
*Kamek--Kamek is practically THE villain of the Yoshi series, the only other notable foe being another 'the same character but a little younger' type character(See Young Link and Pichu). As stated, we do need villains, and with the huge amount of Kongs and Kremlings in DKCR, I somehow doubt K. Rool or Dixie is going to get in. In addition, unless we get another Wario Land game, the only really probable Wario character, Captain Syrup, will not have had a game in a while. In addition, Yoshi is the most overlooked of the 3 series from SSB64 that only ever got one character, and because the sheer amount of Yoshi games almost triples that of Mother, I'd say Yoshi, like Metroid and F-Zero, is damn well deserving of another character.
Wario

Legend of Zelda row:
Link
Zelda/Sheik
Ganondorf
*Toon Link
*Toon Zelda/Tetra--I chose Tetra/Toon Zelda because we need more females, and the only other viable character for the Zelda franchise, Tingle, has his own series of 4 games so far, and deserves to represent his own Sub-series(Which he does, on this roster). Toon Zelda had a major role in Spirit Tracks, the most recent Zelda title, and until Skyward Sword is released, or at least until more is known about that Blue Girl, I'd say this is the most likely choice.

Metroid, Various row:
Samus/ZSS
*Ridley--This should be pretty self-explanatory to most. Ridley is the main villainous character of the Metroid franchise, and his normal size, in both the Melee intro and in Metroid, is about the size of Bowser. The only size issue is his wingspan, but that's honestly not too big of a problem(C wut I did thar). Like I mentioned, Every franchise from the original SSB deserves at least 2 characters. Since Other M came out recently, I'm sure that Metroid will get another character, and considering Metroid as a whole, I'm sure it will be Ridley.
Villager--Despite what anyone says, Animal Crossing, even with an item, assist trophy and stage, deserves a playable character. I mean, it's obvious Sakurai's a fan. I mean, a series with no playable characters got a stage, Item AND Assist Trophy? Not to mention the billions of Animal Crossing trophies; I mean, seriously, not only does he have a Tom Nook trophy, but also Tommy and Timmy Nook? And Perry, and Phyllis, and Wendell, and the Able Sisters? And how many Smash Bros fans know who Katrina is, eh? It's obvious Sakurai favors the series, and it seems like the only reason there isn't a character is due to his lack of imagination for a moveset. Well, the Villager, that's your character, uses a wide variety of tools and items in the games. Slingshots, Axes, Fishing Rods, Butterfly Nets, Balloons, Watering Cans, Shovels, Pitfalls, Furniture and Bags of Bells can easily be implemented into a moveset. And even better, if you have Animal Crossing Save Data, maybe you can play as your personal character, whereas if you don't, you get a selection, mostly of appearances on boxarts, such as flattened hair and a Red #1 shirt based on the City Folk Box art as his Red costume, or a Hat and a Clover shirt for his Green costume? Maybe have a costume in Tom Nook's worker clothers or something, I don't know! And like Wario, you could choose to be female, or male.
*Tingle--Tingle is arguably the only really 'important' Zelda character that isn't another variation on Link, Zelda and Ganondorf. And really, there's only so far you can go before you've moved past Link, Toon Link, Young Link, Dark Link and Four Swords Link and are now seriously considering Link to the Past Link, or Link's Awakening Link. Tingle has, if you're considering a timeline, more appearances than any particular Zelda character besides Ganondorf. The most any one Link has ever appeared in 4 times, and that's OoT Link, the one that appeared in OoT, MM, SSB and SSBM. Some claim that this Link also appeared in LA, but that's debatable. And even if you're not counting SSB, than the most any one link has appeared is twice, being the same one, although tied with Toon Link(WW, Spirit Tracks is a new Link and zelda), TP Link, Classic Link and C-Di Link. Besides that, Tingle is hugely popular in Japan, and in case you forgot, this game is Japanese.
Isaac--Yes yes, I'm well aware that the Japanese aren't big fans of Golden Sun. But Golden Sun is quite popular in America, and considering its 3 games, it should get equal time with Mother. The only reason I don't have 2 GS characters is because there's other, more deserving series that need reps(See: Tingle, Animal Crossing, Starfy). Not to mention that no other character on the roster has earth-based abilities; we've got Aura powers, Darkness powers, Fie, Ice, Electric, Generic Magic, Water, Plant, and Wind-based elements on the roster in Brawl(See: Lucario, Ganondorf, Bowser, Lucas, Pikachu, Zelda, Squirtle, Ivysaur, Link's Boomerang), but nobody uses Earth. Also, nobody is a dual Warrior/Caster type(Although hen Ganondorf is decloned, he'd better be that too) yet.

Kirby, Various 2 row:
Kirby
*Metaknight
Dedede
Olimar
*Starfy--Starfy, despite being slow to get out of Japan, made it as far as to got an AT appearance. The games are pretty much iconic of the GBA, and also already have 2 games out for DS. I'd say this is probably not the best character choice, but there's really nothing else. Kirby isn't worth of another character, and there hasn't been any sign of a new Custom Robo or Chibi-Robo game. I've added 4 Contemporary-type series to this game, in contrast to Melee's 1(Fire Emblem) and Brawl's 2(WarioWare and Pikmin), mainly so as not to overrepresent existing series. For example, it's not fair to give Kirby or Starfox 4 characters, when that's only one away from something like Mario or Pokemon. So, I went with a more contemporary feel to this game. If it doesn't float your boat, that's fine, but keeping it at aat 50 characters really forces me to choose between things like Starfy and Ray, things like Toad and Bowser Jr., things like Blaziken or Pichu(Hint; neither). I decided Starfy is more relevant, and combined with his moveset potential, I think we could have a good choice on our hands here.

Starfox & F-Zero row:
Fox
*Wolf
*Krystal--I originally had both Falco and Krystal, but I decided that the unique, female, main love interest character has a bit more relevance that the same-y, sausagefest, secondary sidekick character(One of a few sidekicks, others being Peppy, Slippy, and Krystal herself). And I didn't want a moderately sized franchise have almost as many characters as Nintendo's 3 biggest franchises ever, Mario, Zelda and Pokemon. So, due to fanbase and the reasons mentioned above, I chose Krystal.
Captain Falcon
*Samurai Goroh--Well, pretty much everyone here agrees that F-Zero needs another character, for the same reasons as Metroid and Yoshi, right? So why Goroh? Well, it's obvious Nintendo likes him more than Black Shadow; he's portrayed as cooler, better, and stronger than Black Shadow, he was in Melee's intro, and was in Brawl as an AT. Not to mention that being a heavyset Samurai, he's basically got a moveset right there, whereas Shadow would probably end up adopting Ganondork's old moveset(Misspelling intentional), and nobody wants more clones, right?

Pokémon row:
Pikachu
*Jigglypuff
Pokemon Trainer(Squirtle/Ivysaur/Charizard)
*Zoroark--Do I even need to explain this? It would only wast my time and effort. If you really need an explanation for him, go ahead and ask.
*Plusle and Minun--Now, I debated over this. I personally prefer Blaziken, but unless May somehow gets prominently featured in the anime again, that's rather unlikely. I also really wanted a 3rd Gen rep, as 1st, 2nd and 4th have all gotten characters, but 3rd Gen was skipped over. Until recently, I was against Plusle and Minun, especially when people's reasoning was them being found in the Brawl data(Lolno, that was Every Player, aka Random). But I recently saw a roster with a nice reason for having them, that being to represent double battles; after all, Mewtwo represented Legendaries, Pichu represented babies, and PT represents your player character, so why not have another Pokemon character representative of some aspect of the games? And I'm not thinking that there's a character trio for Triple Battles, and even so, it'd have to be another 5th gen.

Fire Emblem, Mother row:
*Marth
*Ike
Sigurd--Sigurd is the main character of the most popular Fire Emblem Game, not to mention, it is very possible that his game will get remade, much like Marth's games.
Ness
*Lucas

Retro row:
Ice Climbers
Pit
Little Mac--Little Mac is a popular retro character, at least here. He's even got a recent game, though I still consider him retro. And he's got plenty of moveset possibilities, he's from a fighting game after all.
*ROB
*Sukapon--He's the grandfather of Smash, and acts as my 'WTF' character, a la ROB and Mr. Game & Watch. He's the main character from Nintendo's first fighting game, and also represents Nintendo's Games not to make it out of Japan.

Third Party, Various 3 row:
*Mr. Game & Watch
*Sonic
*Snake
*Megaman--Mega Man has quite a history with Nintendo, and Capcom is one of Nintendo's biggest 3rd party supporters right now. If any new 3rd party characters get in, it's him. And this is Classic, not X, or Volnutt, or .exe, or even StarForce. Classic just has more history with Nintendo, really.
Mii--C'mon, this is a no-brainer. Beat up Mario...as YOURSELF? Dream come true right here. I promise you, if Miis are on the next console Smash is on, and since they're already set to be on the 3DS, the first next-gen machine, I wouldn't say they're going anywhere.

So, give your opinions, and Ciao!

EDIT:
I am all in favor of the Glove as an item. Also, what if it were used for something other than boxing? Then it might be...*Puts on Sunglesses*Grope on a Rope.
YEEEEEEEEAAAAAAAAAAAAAAH!!

Starphoenix

NNID
GalaxyPhoenix
3DS FC
2122-6914-9465
Uh oh guys!

We have plenty to say about Smash Bros., and you'll definitely hear more about the franchise in the months to come. For now, we're curious: which of the three games is your favorite?
http://wii.ign.com/articles/113/1138536p1.html

Looks like we all are in for a surprise soon. Remember, despite some mishap IGN did leak Retro Studio's development on a new Donkey Kong title for the Wii prior to E3.

UberMario

Smash Master
Interesting, although many fans of the original may disagree, I'm hoping it is NOT a remake of the original (as Star Fox 64 3DS and OoT 3DS may suggest), but rather a new game. That is, of course, assuming that it is actually a SSB game, which, considering IGN has posted stuff in the past that turned out to be simply rumors, I have my [strong] doubts . . . . . .

Starphoenix

NNID
GalaxyPhoenix
3DS FC
2122-6914-9465
Interesting, although many fans of the original may disagree, I'm hoping it is NOT a remake of the original (as Star Fox 64 3DS and OoT 3DS may suggest), but rather a new game. That is, of course, assuming that it is actually a SSB game, which, considering IGN has posted stuff in the past that turned out to be simply rumors, I have my [strong] doubts . . . . . .
IGN seems pretty confident, so I'm going to play the optimist and keep an eye out. That said, it might not be what people want to hear. For all we know it could be an announcement from Nintendo that they are improving the wifi. Which would be great news for me, but others may view it as a disappointment.

Big-Cat

Challenge accepted.
NNID
KumaOso
3DS FC
1590-4853-0104
Uh oh guys!

Looks like we all are in for a surprise soon. Remember, despite some mishap IGN did leak Retro Studio's development on a new Donkey Kong title for the Wii prior to E3.
You got the link for the DK thing?

I like how a lot of the people in the comments section prefer Brawl on a quantity basis over all the others.

mystery_dungeon

Smash Journeyman
Sidemoon Sidemoon. Welc welc ome welc omeome.
Uh oh guys!

How do you respond?
-->"Wait and see for now."
"Lol IGN, totally fake."
"Use that old, stale, IGN joke."

I'll wait and see for now. Here's hoping this won't be similar to the infamous "Kid Icarus Wii" thing they pulled a year or two ago.

ChronoBound

Smash Hero
IGN is creating false hype. More likely, IGN will start writing some speculation articles about Smash 4. Right now, Sakurai is busy with Kid Icarus: Uprising, and will probably be busy with the title for the first half of 2011. If a Smash Bros. title is in development, its most likely a port for the 3DS (Smash 64 or Melee).

SmashChu

Banned via Warnings
I'd love to hear about a new Smash Bros, but I agree with Chronobound. It wont be for a while still. A remake is possible.

Snakeyes

Smash Journeyman
I'd love Sakurai NOT to be involved this time or at least care a bit for the competitive community.

Big-Cat

Challenge accepted.
NNID
KumaOso
3DS FC
1590-4853-0104
And who's to say Sakurai will be the director? He could very easily be a producer like Miyamoto has become with the Zelda games.

ryuu seika

Smash Master
@Snakeyes: I sort of suggested Jack Frost before but his game was rubbish and didn't sell well and he only appeared in one of the 3 games in the series. That would be all well and good if it was a Nintendo exclusive series but the first game was rereleased with extras for the PS1, which is what a lot of recent discussion has been about.

Jack frost would be a great character with a hillarious comedy moveset but he'd never get in.

Snakeyes

Smash Journeyman
And who's to say Sakurai will be the director? He could very easily be a producer like Miyamoto has become with the Zelda games.
Bring in Ono! ;)

At least the guy can see value in the competitiveness of a game. I'm very disappointed with Sakurai's view on things because he had the perfect balance in Melee; you could play it casually as **** but also had the possibility to go deeper if you wanted. With Brawl he just restricted everything to his idea of "fun".

Big-Cat

Challenge accepted.
NNID
KumaOso
3DS FC
1590-4853-0104

Ranks don't have caps. If you look at other games, they usually have a points system with similar methods of scoring like you mentioned.

You probably wouldn't have taunt parties assuming all the players care about points they can gain or lose.

Street Fighter and soon Marvel will have something like this, but those titles are gained by clearing certain tasks in challenge mode or by achieving a certain K.O. X amount of times for example.

Running away isn't a bad thing, no matter how much people say it is. It's a valid tactic.

4. Free-For-All
You can merge these by selecting parameters when you do a search like number of players, items on/off (with item setting option available), and the stage being determined before hand.
5. Team Battle
6. Spectate
I think custom stages might run into a networking issue (or not). Anyway, I think, in general, what you got for SSF4's online content is a good minimum to aspire to. The only thing it doesn't have is that you can go into Training Mode to wait for opponents like in BlazBlue.
You will see your opponents Title and Rank before the match and you will usually be matched with people whos ranking is close to yours. No lag would also be good. Oh, here are some other title ideas:
Title won't make a difference. Lag will likely not die anytime soon, that's the Internet for you.

I think something besides the titles obtained like you said, would be something like this:
http://www.eventhubs.com/news/2010/nov/19/marvel-vs-capcom-3-license-card-details/

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom