• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

[Official SSB4 Discussion] --- Nintendo announces 2 new Smash games!

Status
Not open for further replies.

iLSA

Smash Cadet
If online play is to be included again, it should be a lot less laggy. More characters would be nice too! ^-^
I agree. Although the online play is very fun, the biggest complaint I have is the lag. From what I know, the connection between you and another player is world-wide instead of local, so the game freezes up with too much activity.

As for characters, that goes withought saying.

AEMehr

Mii Fighter
Mushroom Kingdom
Bowser Jr. (Obviously the best choice for Mario's series.)

Zelda
Toon Zelda/Tetra (Someone to relate to Toon Link. Also known as one of the forbidden Seven)

Pokemon
Most likely something from the newest Generation (Because Nintendo will.)

Kirby
*None, The Kirby Series is Fine*

Nintendo Classics (Includes Pit, Ice Climbers, R.O.B., and Mr. G&W)
Balloon Fighter (Someone is probably going. "WHAT R HE DO?" Or, "WHO R HE?", but he is actually the best next choice for the Famicom/NES Characters)

Metroid
Ridley ("HES 2 BIGZZZZ!" Oh please, Bowser size changes EVERY SINGLE GAME, Ridley would be a perfect addition for SSB4)

Mother
Porky + Spidermech (Porky is actually the best person to represent Mother. Being in both Mother 2/Earthbound and Mother 3/Earthbound 2, as a villian. Nintendo would have to be idiots if he isn't added.)

F-Zero
Samurai Goroh (True fully, I don't play F-Zero. But if anyone is alongside Falcon for F-Zero, it have to be Samurai Goroh.

Star Fox
Krystal (Yet again, not much Star Fox here. [Just Assualt] But Krystal seems to be the most logical choice.)

Pikmin
None. Olimar is fine.

Fire Emblem
...Lyn? (Dunno haven't played Fire Emblem.)

Third-Party
Pac-man. (The OLDEST KNOWN, Video Game character Ever. Pac-man and Mario met each other in an arcade racing game. May not be enough, but Pac-man has been around for ever.) Namco
Geno. (Yeah, yeah, yeah. The Mario character that isn't Nintendo's Geno. He's got a HUUUUUUUUUGE, fanbase. Yet Squire Enix, doesn't use him to their advantage. A great addition in my eyes.) Squire Enix
Megaman. (Obviously the most close Third-party character to nintendo is Megaman! I don't think anyone didn't expect Megaman to appear in Brawl. Hopefully there won't be a "Communication Error".) Capcom

Glad to have wasted yours and my time.

Fatmanonice

Banned via Warnings
NNID
Fatmanonice
If online play is to be included again, it should be a lot less laggy. More characters would be nice too! ^-^
That's an issue Nintendo itself will have to deal with, not the developers of SSB4. Given Nintendo's mediocre wifi service and the fact that Sakurai said that it was going to be freakishly hard to even get Brawl online, I'd say Sakurai and his team did more than a decent job for their first try with wifi. Since the developers now actually have experience putting Smash online, they should be able to make it a more enjoyable experience with SSB4 but Nintendo's going to have to be the one that make a move when it comes to better connections, friend codes, and other issues.

Pieman0920

Smash Master
Ariad, I think you're misjudging the size of the Geno fanbase, especially compared to other SE properties (and other Mario characters even). Also Bomberman is Konami, and if we get a second Konami character, it should be Simon Belmont.

Also in regards to Toise's post, I must wonder what Sakurai deems as a "pacifist" given characters like Peach or ROB.

Starphoenix

How Long Have I Been Asleep?
NNID
GalaxyPhoenix
3DS FC
2122-6914-9465
That's an issue Nintendo itself will have to deal with, not the developers of SSB4. Given Nintendo's mediocre wifi service and the fact that Sakurai said that it was going to be freakishly hard to even get Brawl online, I'd say Sakurai and his team did more than a decent job for their first try with wifi. Since the developers now actually have experience putting Smash online, they should be able to make it a more enjoyable experience with SSB4 but Nintendo's going to have to be the one that make a move when it comes to better connections, friend codes, and other issues.
A simple solution would have been to make available the option to connect to users regionally or worldwide.

Another feature that would have been nice is to have different modes for 1v1 matches. Also, was it really to difficult for them to implement stock? I understand some of the complications, but they could have added a time limit over it to keep matches from jamming the servers.

Mr. PBJ

Smash Rookie
They need to add Megaman, a Sinnoh Pokemon Trainer with Chimchar, Prinplup, and Torterra, Shadow (not a Sonic clone, I can think of a moveset.), Knuckles, Tails, Rosalina, Louie (as long as he's not an Olimar clone, which he would most likely be), Pokemon Trainers having Bulbasaur and Wartortle instead of Squirtle and Ivysaur (I can dream, can't I? Bulbasaur is my favorite Pokemon and Wartortle is my favorite Second-Stage Starter Pokemon.), Waluigi, Plusle and Minun, and at least one Isshu-Region Pokemon (I'm pretty sure Generation V will exist whenever SSB4 comes out, considering the first game of that Generation come out in September in Japan), and Black Shadow.

Also, a moveset for Shadow [Not complete]:

B-Up: Chaos Control: Same as Zelda/Sheik's B-Up.
B-Down: Chaos Blast: Attacks the Enemy with a small explosion.
Side-B: Chaos Spear: Attacks the enemy with a quick flash of spikes.

His Grab Attacks would mostly be clones of Sonic's. Also, his down Grab Attack would consist of Shadow burning his opponent with his Skates (Yes, I do have that one texture hack.)

I'd think of a gun, but I think Snake is as far as they'll get with real-world weapons on SSB.

Final Smash: Super Shadow: Same as Sonic's FS.

So yeah, he'd be a Sonic Semi-Clone.

AEMehr

Mii Fighter
Ariand, I think you're misjudging the size of the Geno fanbase, especially compared to other SE properties (and other Mario characters even). Also Bomberman is Konami, and if we get a second Konami character, it should be Simon Belmont.

Also in regards to Toise's post, I must wonder what Sakurai deems as a "pacifist" given characters like Peach or ROB.
Oh. Why'd I think he was Hudson?

Pieman0920

Smash Master
Oh. Why'd I think he was Hudson?
Because he is Hudson, but Hudson is Konami. You could say Kirby is HAL's, but that's really just Nintendo's.

@ Kuma: ....Yeah Juri's theme is good, but that's like the only good thing about that. Goku was pretty much in his T-model half the time, most things were very spazy, and the stage was poorly implemented.

AEMehr

Mii Fighter
Because he is Hudson, but Hudson is Konami. You could say Kirby is HAL's, but that's really just Nintendo's.

@ Kuma: ....Yeah Juri's theme is good, but that's like the only good thing about that. Goku was pretty much in his T-model half the time, most things were very spazy, and the stage was poorly implemented.
OOOOOOH, thanks.

Big-Cat

Challenge accepted.
NNID
KumaOso
3DS FC
1590-4853-0104
Mind you that a lot of this stuff is likely a WIP (Obviously, music's dead brain easy compared to the other stuff). It's impressive to see that the stuff hacked in are not just stage recolorings, but imports.

ToiseOfChoice

Smash Ace
To be fair, the only characters (or series I guess) he mentions when talking about this are Animal Crossing people and Nintendogs:

I don't know how you'd confuse Peach and ROB in there, unless "occasionally defenseless" and "hasn't assaulted anyone yet" are enough to convince you that they're unwilling to hurt anyone.

Pieman0920

Smash Master
@Kuma: Yeah I suppose its impressive that they got it in there, but that doesn't really mean it made a good transition.

@Toise: Peach can fight, as shown by SMB2, SMRPG, and several other games after those, but in general she's seen as a pacifist, so it would be odd to discount those types given how she got in. ROB also has never really been a combat oriented character (or maybe you would count him as a peripheral) and there's no real indication that he would harm or hurt anyone. The status "Hasn't assaulted anyone yet" applies to him just as easily enough as it does the Animal Crosser or the Nintendo. (Man, those Nintendogs have teeth. Also whenever I played Animal Crossing, I dropped people in holes and wacked them on the head with my bugnet. If that's not assaulting someone, I don't know what is)

krazyzyko

Smash Champion
Would you like to see a new smash attack? A Back smash? (like aerials) if you're not facing your opponent and you smash them it will be a whole new smash not just a side/foward smash.

Arcadenik

Smash Legend
NNID
Arcadenik
1. The character should appeal to the general population. It means the character's fans would flock to the game and could make new fans out of non-fans who don't know much about the character and/or the series the character hails from. The character doesn't have to be very popular or very well-known to get in because the character will become very popular and very well-known once the character becomes playable anyway.

2. The character should be physically capable of fighting as a Smash Brother. It means the character should have arms to use for punching, picking up items, grabbing characters and ledges, and so on. If the character doesn't have arms or is unable to use arms, the character should have something to substitute for arms such as Ivysaur's vines. It also means the character should have legs to use for kicking, running, jumping, and so on. If the character doesn't have legs or is unable to use legs, the character should have something to substitute for legs such as R.O.B.'s base. Characters like Mr. Saturn, Tamagon, Slime, and Goomba are not physically capable of fighting as Smash Brothers.

3. The character should be from a character-driven series. I picked this one from the All-Star Mode update on the Dojo! site (look it up). Sakurai is interested in characters who are from character-driven series (read: core games), not casual games which is why Sakurai specifically mentioned Animal Crossing characters and Nintendogs as not suitable for fighting as Smash Brothers. Personally, I think the Mii could be the exception if the Mii is used for a "create-a-fighter" mode (it makes sense to me and it would fit the whole point of the Mii) but even that one seems unlikely since Sakurai basically (and accurately) grouped Wii Sports with the other casual games listed in the Dojo! site.

4. The character should be somehow different from the existing characters. It means the character should have identifying features and unique abilities. I think it is also okay to mix-and-match the existing moves to make new unique characters (as long as it suits the character) because many of the existing characters already have similar moves and characteristic traits and they are still considered unique anyway. The exceptions are the clones and semi-clones, obviously.

5. The character should be a major recurring character in their own series. I follow this hierarchy:

1. Playable mascot
2. Unplayable mascot
3. Playable protagonist
4. Unplayable protagonist
5. Protagonist's playable sidekick
6. Protagonist's unplayable sidekick
7. Playable villain
8. Unplayable villain
9. Villain's playable sidekick
10. Villain's unplayable sidekick
11. Playable one-time good character
12. Unplayable one-time good character
13. Playable one-time evil character
14. Unplayable one-time evil character

6. It is recommended that the character is internationally available than to be available in only one region. We only had three exceptions to this rule (Marth, Roy, and Lucas) so I think it is okay to bend this rule a couple times but don't add too many regionally exclusive characters. I think Sakurai gets around this rule by adding internationally available characters that are more popular in Japan than in the West (the only exception to this one, I think, was Sonic).

7. If the character is generic with many others who look exactly like this character, it is highly recommended that this generic character should be a major recurring character in their own series (see Rule 5). It is also highly recommended that this generic character is easily recognizable by fans and non-fans such as Yoshi, Pikachu, and R.O.B.

8. It is highly recommended that the character should have enough characteristic traits to set them apart from the existing characters. The character also shouldn't be a variation of an existing character. If they aren't any different from existing characters, they are very likely to end up as palette swaps, clones, semi-clones, or alternate costumes.

augustoflores

Smash Hero
NNID
augustoflores
3DS FC
4828-5782-2252
Switch FC
SW-2867-0942-2202
looking at rule 6:
when you use the phrase "It is recommended that", it isn't necessary to say that there are exceptions (are there really exceptions to recommendations? they are just recommendations!). just because something is recommended doesn't mean that recommendation is..., well you just said "Sakurai gets around this rule" so it is as if it is a rule rather than a suggestion, which really, it is a suggestion...
i recommend you edit it before shorty finishes...

speaking of... i don't want to post mine, it is a bit odd... and it constantly changes...

(side note: i think it would be best to keep sonic and snake in brawl. that there should be other guests in ssb4... what i mean by keep it in brawl is to have them return in Ultimate Super Smash Bros Brawl. but seriously, they are guests)

i still have more thoughts... could there be a WiiWare smash Zelda edition? in SSB64 engine maybe? could there be a WiiWare smash Pokemon edition?
i would kill for the ability to fight a Zora with a Gerudo or Goron. Vaati? hehehe. an excellent place to see if he is up to snuff.

ElPanandero

Smash Lord
NNID
ElPanandero
@Arcade
I find your Hierarchy a little odd, i'd place anything playable over non playable in most situations. While this is not always true (And i personally don't have a hierarchy), I just find it odd that a Playable villain place slower than an unplayable sidekick.

Big-Cat

Challenge accepted.
NNID
KumaOso
3DS FC
1590-4853-0104
I find it weird as well. Like The Baker said, not every series will follow this. Not only that, but really? A fifteen character hierarchy?

Oh, and, El Panadero, I made a new post in the GGD Group. It's been a while, ha ha.

ToiseOfChoice

Smash Ace
@Toise: Peach can fight, as shown by SMB2, SMRPG, and several other games after those, but in general she's seen as a pacifist, so it would be odd to discount those types given how she got in. ROB also has never really been a combat oriented character (or maybe you would count him as a peripheral) and there's no real indication that he would harm or hurt anyone. The status "Hasn't assaulted anyone yet" applies to him just as easily enough as it does the Animal Crosser or the Nintendo. (Man, those Nintendogs have teeth. Also whenever I played Animal Crossing, I dropped people in holes and wacked them on the head with my bugnet. If that's not assaulting someone, I don't know what is)
Keep in mind this is going by Sakurai's interpretation. I honestly don't have a problem with having Animal Crossing characters fight, though I'm not a fan of the series so I can live without them. Punching puppies is something I'd object to.

And it's pretty clear that Sakurai doesn't agree with characters "generally" being defenseless or lacking in combat ability the way you do. If he sees Peach or ROB or anyone else as "plausible for them to fight," then that's that.

@Arcadenik's list: General retardedness aside (4 and 8 are the same thing), does this mean Midna is higher than Ganon? ROB 64 higher than Wolf? Rambi higher than K. Rool?

Pieman0920

Smash Master
I suppose I coudln't really ask for you to clarify what Sakurai means, since its just an interview where he made those statements, but as I said, I just find it odd given existing characters contradicting them. I suppose its true though that we'll probably never get a Nintendog not because it couldn't fight, or that it wouldn't be inclined to fight, but more so because its probably not acceptable in pretty much any culture to start hitting a puppy with a giant hammer, beam sword, or any number of other things you could do to it in Smash.

@Arc: I think that the Mii could probably be reconsidered at this point with Wii Sports Resort giving them the ability to use kendo (I would have thought boxing would be enough, but whatever) Either way, I'd say with their high sales and popularity (underlined by imitators) that they could even reach icon status despite the fact that they don't have a solid apperance....but then again, the appeal of them in Smash would be that they don't have a solid apperance, so I digress.

Also that hirearchy seems spotty at best. Not all series have character structures like that, and certain ones put more importance on certain roles than others. For instance, in the Zelda series Navi/Tatle/whatever fairy is assisting you now is generally your sidekick. But you'd never put them in Smash, even if they actually did have the bodies for it, since the sidekick role in this game is a fairly low one. (Keep in mind here, that while the fairy does change from game to game, so do Link and Zelda.) Also what real evidence is there that some type of unplayable sidekick would have a higher chance of inclusion over a playable (or unplayable) main villain? Pokemon also kind of screws around with this.

I'd also say that generic character rules would be completely different in regards to Pokemon, since every Pokemon, including the legendaries, are generic to some degree.

Shorts

Zef Side
Premium
3DS FC
3136-6583-3704
Its finished! :D

1. Popularity: If a character is popular, they should have a shot to be discussed about. Whether the character is newer, like the upcoming Golden Sun hero, or older, like Geno, they should be considered. Even if a character has just a cult following (N!GHTS) this too should be enough to be discussed.

2. New Spin: The character should bring a sort of new flavor to smash bros. Even if its as simple as The Pokemon Trainer Way of battling or the team battling system of the ice climbers. The character doesn’t nessicarly have to bring a new way of playing, they could bring unique movesets and also be considered

3. Hero of the game: If the character is a single character representing a whole franchise, it should be the main protagonist. Like how Olimar serves as the lone Pikmin character, we don’t need a bulbax representing Pikmin now do we?

4.Non-generic: The character shouldn’t be a generic enemy (Like a Goomba) or be a “clone” of another character. Along with no copied moves or generic races we do not need a variant of a specific character. For Example, we don’t need fire Mario, Gravity Suit Samus or Dry bones bowser. If though, there is a character of a major reaccuring generic race (Like Green Yoshi, or Original colored toad) they should have rights to be discussed. So The generic races must be, reacurring, and have a specific color/individual to represent them.

5. Regional popularity: If a character is hated in a specific area, this shouldn’t stop us from discussing it/him/her. Just because India may hate Lyndis, doesn’t mean she will not be conversed about!

6. Past fighting: Is irrelevant, the ice climbers never fought in their game. Neither did Dr. Mario, yet he still made it in. The simple fact that Sakuria let “Pacifist” characters into brawl shows this does not matter.

7. Actual anatomy: If the character has no piece of anatomy to grapple, jump ect. Then they should not be brought up. Sorry Tetris block. >.>

8. Third Party rules: The character has to not only have been on a Nintendo platform, but also have good ties and a pleasant relationship with one another. Third parties should only have one SERIES represented with one character. Ex: Final fantasy doesn’t need both Cloud and Moogle.

9. Game amounts: Don’t really matter, so long as the character is popular enough, however more games isn’t a bad thing! Just because a game has twenty Nintendo platform games doesn’t make it a good candidate. However it doesn’t hurt.​

Listen up!
Now WE ALL have contributed to these rules, please if you have a problem with one i would love to know so i can fix it and ultimately make it sort of the general rule when discussing characters! :)

I also would like to thank KumaOso, Iven Polka, Fatmanonice, Toiseofchoice and Arcadenik for taking the time to write out some rules to base the community rules off of.

Fatmanonice

Banned via Warnings
NNID
Fatmanonice
I kind of agree with the others, that hierarchy doesn't make a lick of sense and, as Toise pointed out, gets torn to shreds when you think about it logically. There are so many factors to consider that putting it in such a way is the argumentative equivalent of getting stuck in a hall of mirrors. For example, I wouldn't say that being playable always beats out not being playable and it really depends on the franchise, if the franchise already has certain characters, how the character compares to others when it comes to overall significance, etc.

Kollin

Smash Rookie
Here's my SSB4 dream list. New characters highlighted in red, explanations to the right.

Mario
Mario
Luigi
Peach (B move tweaked, Toadsworth or Parry replace Toad.)
Toad (The sole member of the major N64 era Mario characters to not be in the smash series. He's got potential.)
Bowser

Donkey Kong
Donkey Kong
Diddy Kong
K.Rool (Every series needs a vilain, and I've always liked K.Rool.)

Yoshi
Yoshi

Wario Ware
Wario

Legend of Zelda
Link
Zelda
Toon Link
Toon Zelda/Tetra (Toon Link got lonely. :p)
Young Link (New moveset, acts like weaker adult Link in normal form, but can use Majora's mask transformations.)

Kirby
Kirby
Meta Knight (Not as advantaged as he is in Brawl)
Dedede
Knuckle Joe (He was made for fighting, so why not?)

Pokemon
Pikachu
Zoroark (You all know it's happening. XD)
Venusaur (Red released his pokemon and they all grew up. :p)
Charizard
Blastoise (See Venusaur.)
Meowth (Series villain and such.)
Jigglypuff (Maybe Wigglytuff to rep the PMD series? It'd be the same pokemon, only evolved and given more meaning.)

Metroid
Samus

Star Fox
Fox
Falco
Krystal (IDK, there's supposed to be a new Star Fox game out on the Wii some time in the future, and she'd add a little variety to the basic lazer kung-fu fighting style of the rest.)
Wolf

F-Zero
Captain Falcon

Mother
Ness
Lucas
Loid (He'd represent the first Mother game, since Ninten looks too similar to Ness.)

Fire Emblem
Marth
Roy (Put back in just because.)
Ike

Golden Sun
Isaac (Long overdue for a role.)
Felix
Jenna

Pikmin
Olimar

Nintendo classics
Game&Watch
Ice climbers
R.O.B
Pit
Diskun (He was the first thing that came to mind. Besides, he'd be fun to play as. XD)
Little Mac (He's from a fighting game. Albeit a fighting game in which the only attack is punching, but who knows? Maybe he picked up a thing or two becoming a boxing champion? :p)

Sonic the hedgehog
Sonic
Tails (Where there's Sonic, there will be Tails. Granted, he's got low chances of being in, but he's got moves.)
Knuckles (A fighter at heart. Seems like he'd fit in so well.)

Other third parties
Snake
Mega Man (Everyone wants him in, so considering Nintendo and Capcom have worked together before, I could definitely see it happening.)
Boggy B (Yeah, I know, never gonna' happen, but I love the Worms series and would love to see it in SSB.)

New stages (Not a complete list, I'm too sleepy to be creative right now. XD)
Toad's turnpike (Fighting on moving vehicles, Mario Kart 64)
Magicant (Mother)
Mushroom hill zone (Sonic the hedgehog)

ToiseOfChoice

Smash Ace
I suppose I coudln't really ask for you to clarify what Sakurai means, since its just an interview where he made those statements, but as I said, I just find it odd given existing characters contradicting them. I suppose its true though that we'll probably never get a Nintendog not because it couldn't fight, or that it wouldn't be inclined to fight, but more so because its probably not acceptable in pretty much any culture to start hitting a puppy with a giant hammer, beam sword, or any number of other things you could do to it in Smash.
Interview nothing. That picture comes from Brawl's original planning document back in 2005. But I'll post the interview anyway since it's relevant:

Sakurai: The most important thing was simply whether or not it would make players happy. I mean, there are lots of popular games with characters that just aren’t meant for fighting and were too hard to incorporate into the Smash Bros. title. Heading the list of these characters are the ones from the games we just mentioned, Nintendogs and Animal Crossing. Because these are games played by lots of people, I knew players would be happy to see them make an appearance. This is why I wanted to find a way to put them in the game and why they became Assist Trophies. Assist Trophy Video.

Iwata: I remember you saying at the start of development that you couldn’t very well make a Nintendog fight. (See document)

Sakurai: Because we decided to approach the Assist Trophies as something more than a character that attacks your opponent, we were able to incorporate various characters into the game. The Nintendog, for example, simply bounds playfully toward the screen and offers no help at all. (laughs)
It's your wacky definition that conflicts with what he's included, not his. What's the problem again?

Pieman0920

Smash Master
What are you talking about Toise? I admit I should have gone out of my way to look at the interview, but you're the one who said that he didn't want to include pacifists depsite the fact that he didn't really say that. And it still stands that ROB wasn't meant for fighting, prior to Brawl, which goes against what Sakurai says here. (Sorry about the image though, since the only place I ever saw that was actually when it was brought up in that interview)

DekuBoy

Smash Lord
no one gives a **** about toad fans
The single most grown-up comment I've ever heard here.

Anyway AC is a series that SHOULD have a fighter but won't. Because of Sakurai's lack of imagination. Don't get me wrong, I love his games, but he's being very priggish about this.

Big-Cat

Challenge accepted.
NNID
KumaOso
3DS FC
1590-4853-0104
Anyway AC is a series that SHOULD have a fighter but won't. Because of Sakurai's lack of imagination. Don't get me wrong, I love his games, but he's being very priggish about this.
He could very well change his mind. Also, it's quite possible that he may have been referring to the Villager which also suffers from not having a defined appearance. Depending on how you interpret it, Tom Nook is pretty much the only candidate (that and his shop logo is the Animal Crossing symbol in Brawl) at this point since he wasn't explicitly singled out.

DekuBoy

Smash Lord
Well, we don't really have any ground to base Nook speculation but I would love to see him in. It would be bizarre though for Sakurai to say that Tom Nook is more violent than a villager. Their roles are both peaceful.

Now Ressetti on the other hand...

Big-Cat

Challenge accepted.
NNID
KumaOso
3DS FC
1590-4853-0104
As I've said before, I consider in-game fighting experience to be irrelevant. They may both be peaceful, but an anthropomorphic raccoon dog/tanuki makes more of an intriguing fighter than a human character with not set appearance or personality, IMO.

That, and I consider him to be easier to be implemented.

I'm still not okay with Resetti. Unless they're okay with him jumping in the air, I can't see it happening.

Pieman0920

Smash Master
Tom Nook is pretty much the best choice out of the three main Animal Crossing NPCs. The other two, Resseti and K.K. Slider, are optional characters who you can go the entire game (or at least to paying off your house in full) and never see once in certain games. Nook on the other hand basically sets your main objective for the game, and you have to communicate with him almost every day.

As far as a moveset goes, he could easily have certain tricks like throwing or using the items that he sells in his store. In addition to that, he could borrow some of Mario's tanuki suit abilities. He's really a excellent choice outside of the whole "never fights" thing and being from Animal Crossing.

Shorts

Zef Side
Premium
3DS FC
3136-6583-3704
Do you guys even think Animal Crossing will get a fighter? I mean wasnt brawl the perfect opportunity for Tom Nook to get in? I mean we had a mr. Resetti AT, and K.K Slider was at the AC stage every friday.

Big-Cat

Challenge accepted.
NNID
KumaOso
3DS FC
1590-4853-0104
I want an Animal Crossing character. I couldn't even begin to determine how likely it is to get one. Brawl wasn't a once-in-a-lifetime opportunity for Animal Crossing character or anything.

The only thing we have in regards to determining why there was no character is off the Iwata Asks interview and even that left room for interpretation.

ToiseOfChoice

Smash Ace
What are you talking about Toise? I admit I should have gone out of my way to look at the interview, but you're the one who said that he didn't want to include pacifists depsite the fact that he didn't really say that.
"Pacifism" is my word for lack of a better one. If you want to play semantics we can do that, I just wanted a term that encompasses both AC and Nintendogs, one that at least decently fits their situation.

And it still stands that ROB wasn't meant for fighting, prior to Brawl, which goes against what Sakurai says here. (Sorry about the image though, since the only place I ever saw that was actually when it was brought up in that interview)
You're missing the part where it's his definition, not ours. If he thought the Star Fox stage in Smooth Moves or his appearance in Mario Kart or Short Circuit 2 were enough to consider ROB a fighter instead of a wuss, so be it. The game wasn't made running on Pieman-logic, so what's the problem again if he defies your interpretation?

SmashChu

Banned via Warnings
He could very well change his mind. Also, it's quite possible that he may have been referring to the Villager which also suffers from not having a defined appearance. Depending on how you interpret it, Tom Nook is pretty much the only candidate (that and his shop logo is the Animal Crossing symbol in Brawl) at this point since he wasn't explicitly singled out.
How would Nook be any better of a fight. He's a store clerk.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom