• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

[Official SSB4 Discussion] --- Nintendo announces 2 new Smash games!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Arcadenik

Smash Legend
NNID
Arcadenik
Other than the fact that Ninten had no personality and Mother 2/Earthbound was far more popular than Mother1.
Uh... how do you know Ninten has no personality when he essentially plays the exact role Ness has in Mother 2? Are you implying that Ness has no personality, too?

And the reason Ness got in over Ninten was because Mother 2 was more recent than Mother 1 at the time SSB64 was made. Of course, Sakurai wanted to put Lucas instead because Earthbound 64 (Mother 3) was under development but wasn't finished so Ness got in first... and then Sakurai still wanted to replace Ness with Lucas in Melee... but of course, Earthbound 64 got cancelled so Ness stayed... and then finally, by the time Brawl was announced, Mother 3 just came out... so, Lucas got in first while Ness was added later to buff the roster.

And that's stupid. Saying Matthew has no personality because he hasn't talked. What about Link? He doesn't even talk! Oh, and Samus, too? Or even Mario? Hell, almost everyone in the Subspace Emissary weren't even allowed to talk! -_-

Weyard

Smash Apprentice
Hmm, damn. Well, that makes sense; I know nothing about Golden Sun.

So, characters are Link-esque until they're no longer the main protagonist?
I suggest you try them out if you like rpgs.

Isaac was silent in TBS and was the main playable character. Felix spoke in this game.
In TLA Felix was your playable character and he was silent. After you meet Isaac in this game, he speaks. It is insinuated that they both spoke the entire time, it is just not shown to the player so you can further relate their actions to yourself I suppose.
In Dark Dawn, Isaac speaks, keeping his personality from TLA, while his son Matthew does not speak.
So in the DD sequel Matthew should speak and we'll get to see his personality, while the new protagonist (looks like it's going to be Felix's son/daughter at this point) will probably be silent.

Arcadenik

Smash Legend
NNID
Arcadenik
This is silly. Now we got to add "he doesn't talk!" to many reasons why a character shouldn't be added in Smash?

Following your logic, Ness has no personality either because he doesn't talk in Mother 2. :glare:

AetherEch0s

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
2681-0290-3939
Uh... how do you know Ninten has no personality when he essentially plays the exact role Ness has in Mother 2? Are you implying that Ness has no personality, too?

And the reason Ness got in over Ninten was because Mother 2 was more recent than Mother 1 at the time SSB64 was made. Of course, Sakurai wanted to put Lucas instead because Earthbound 64 (Mother 3) was under development but wasn't finished so Ness got in first... and then Sakurai still wanted to replace Ness with Lucas in Melee... but of course, Earthbound 64 got cancelled so Ness stayed... and then finally, by the time Brawl was announced, Mother 3 just came out... so, Lucas got in first while Ness was added later to buff the roster.

And that's stupid. Saying Matthew has no personality because he hasn't talked. What about Link? He doesn't even talk! Oh, and Samus, too? Or even Mario? Hell, almost everyone in the Subspace Emissary weren't even allowed to talk! -_-
Lol Samus talks. Try the intro to Super Metroid, or Fusion, or especially Other M.

Chidosengan

Smash Lord
But corporate doesn't care about character personality. They care about income.

Like Brawl, I'm staring to see SSB4 just being another big ad for current games. If Golden Sun gets any acknowledgment, at all, it would be Dark Dawn, and any potential character from that game would be Mathew.

AetherEch0s

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
2681-0290-3939
Fans would rather play as the "legendary hero of Vale Isaac" then the relatively weak Matthew, the game does nothing to promote Matthew or even make him important, hes merely along for the ride through most of it, much like Garet in the older games.

Kantrip

Kantplay
Prediction: Super Smash Brothers 4 bases character selection on advertising.

Then, a few years later.... SSB5! The game is entirely cutscenes of characters from different series interracting in strange ways. Multiplayer is removed, controllers are no longer needed, and the only game mode is "story mode". Oh and it's a DVD disk.

Chidosengan

Smash Lord
It's amazing how one silly "wishlist" brought upon a "my character has more personality than your character!" argument. Ah, the wonders of the internet!

AetherEch0s

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
2681-0290-3939
LOL Link and Mario are still mute. You cannot even counter that.
obviously not. Mario speaks italian gibberish in the M&L series. Thats talking, as is "letsa go". Link DOES speak, but you dont see it, how does he tell Zelda his name in OoT?

Weyard

Smash Apprentice
This is silly. Now we got to add "he doesn't talk!" to many reasons why a character shouldn't be added in Smash?

Following your logic, Ness has no personality either because he doesn't talk in Mother 2. :glare:
I'm simply referring to my reasons for preferring Isaac instead of Matthew. All of you have your stupid illogical reasoning for preferring certain characters over others so I suppose I'm entitles to such positions as well.

Fans would rather play as the "legendary hero of Vale Isaac" then the relatively weak Matthew, the game does nothing to promote Matthew or even make him important, hes merely along for the ride through most of it, much like Garet in the older games.

This as well. Are you seriously saying that Matthew means more to the GS series than Isaac?
Just because Matthew is more recent doesn't make him a better and more deserving rep. Thats just idiotic.

AetherEch0s

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
2681-0290-3939
Prediction: Super Smash Brothers 4 bases character selection on advertising.

Then, a few years later.... SSB5! The game is entirely cutscenes of characters from different series interracting in strange ways. Multiplayer is removed, controllers are no longer needed, and the only game mode is "story mode". Oh and it's a DVD disk.
Sakurai : *laughs*

Now you might as well expect it xD

Arcadenik

Smash Legend
NNID
Arcadenik
Fans do not always get what they want.

AetherEch0s

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
2681-0290-3939
Obviously, we'v been wanting Ridley since the first SSB and it hadnt even crossed Sakurai's "mind"

Chidosengan

Smash Lord
I'm simply referring to my reasons for preferring Isaac instead of Matthew. All of you have your stupid illogical reasoning for preferring certain characters over others so I suppose I'm entitles to such positions as well.

This as well. Are you seriously saying that Matthew means more to the GS series than Isaac?
Well, Matthew means more in Dark Dawn that Isaac does. And that's my argument. He's current. It will most likely make the kids who never played any GS go "Wow, he's cool! I want to play his game now", and make their parents spend money on a game that they can find on a store, thus allowing Nintendo to print more money. It sometimes doesn't matter what fans want, it what will rake in more money.

Lets go back to SSB64 days. What if Toad was included as the Mario rep INSTEAD OF Mario? I mean comeon, you played as Toad in a Mario game, but Mario is obviously the main character who cares. Maybe Toad would net them more money?
Well, that's just silly.

Weyard

Smash Apprentice
Well, Matthew means more in Dark Dawn that Isaac does. And that's my argument. He's current. It will most likely make the kids who never played any GS go "Wow, he's cool! I want to play his game now", and make their parents spend money on a game that they can find on a store, thus allowing Nintendo to print more money. It sometimes doesn't matter what fans want, it what will rake in more money.

Well, that's just silly.
The silly part is that you are quoting something that isn't there now :p

AetherEch0s

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
2681-0290-3939
Of course its silly, i mean why would they put Toad in over ANY Mario rep. He isnt even impor*is shot*

Please dont get the Toad lovers started again. Lets just move to another subject.

•Col•

Smash Champion
Well, Matthew means more in Dark Dawn that Isaac does. And that's my argument. He's current. It will most likely make the kids who never played any GS go "Wow, he's cool! I want to play his game now", and make their parents spend money on a game that they can find on a store, thus allowing Nintendo to print more money.
Nah, just put in Isaac. They'll think it's him on the cover of Dark Dawn anyway and they'll buy it.

.....At least, that's how Melee tricked me into buying Fire Emblem for the GBA. I thought the guy on the cover was Roy!!! :(
lol, I still enjoyed the game

Weyard

Smash Apprentice
Forgot to mention how Isaac, due to being an AT in Brawl, has already become associated with it. Would you keep him as an AT and let Matthew take his well deserved slot?

AetherEch0s

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
2681-0290-3939
I say, make Isaac a character, make Matthew an alt costume. Hopefully they have enough creativity to add new characters (clones) as mere alt costumes when they are similar enough (Peach-Daisy)

Chidosengan

Smash Lord
Forgot to mention how Isaac, due to being an AT in Brawl, has already become associated with it. Would you keep him as an AT and let Matthew take his well deserved slot?
That doesn't mean anything. ATs can be changed to include new characters too. As a matter of fact, ATs could be scrapped all together for all we know. But for the sake of argument, let's say they keep them. What makes you think that they will keep the exact same roster from Brawl?

Kantrip

Kantplay
Super Smash Brothers Strife leaked roster

Mario
Luigi
Peach
Daisy
Bowser
Bowser Junior
Toad
Fawful
Count Bleck
Koopa Troopa
Yoshi
Birdo
Kamek
Baby Mario
Baby Luigi
Wario
Waluigi
Paper Mario
Geno
Donkey Kong
King K. Rool
Diddy Kong
Dixie Kong
Cranky Kong
Funky Kong
Tiki Tak
Link
Zelda / Sheik
Ganondorf
Toon Link
Toon Zelda / Tetra
Toon Ganondorf
Midna
Vaati
Tingle
Fox
Falco
Wolf
Krystal
Slippy
Kirby
King Dedede
Meta Knight
Knuckle Joe
Pikachu
Pichu
Jigglypuff
Mewtwo
Lucario
Zoroark
Victini
Pokémon Trainer
Meowth
Deoxys
Darkrai
Team Rocket Member
Ness
Ninten
Lucas
Porky
Samus
Zero Suit Samus
Dark Samus
Ridley
Olimar
Pit
Medusa
Palutena
Tom Nook
Mr. Resetti
K.K. Slider
Villager male / Villager female
R.O.B.
Ice Climbers
Balloon Fighter
Excite Biker
Little Mac
Mr. Game & Watch
Isaac
Mattthew
Garet
Andy
Professor Layton
Doctor Kawashima
Master Hand / Crazy Hand
Tabuu
Sonic
Tails
Knuckles
Sly
Silver
Amy Rose
Dr. Eggman
Solid Snake
Megaman
Pac Man
Bomberman
Mii (Male)
Mii (Female)
Captain Falcon
Samurai Goroh
The Black Shadow
Marth
Roy
Ike
Lyn
Goku
Doctor Octagonapus

And many more hidden characters to unlock along the way!

Stay tuned for the most revolutionary competitive fighting game in Nintendo history!

Smash Bros. A fanservice game.

•Col•

Smash Champion
I say, make Isaac a character, make Matthew an alt costume. Hopefully they have enough creativity to add new characters (clones) as mere alt costumes when they are similar enough (Peach-Daisy)
Ugh.... I REALLY want them to have alt. costumes... And now that I think about it, I'm not even asking much for SSB4. Just a BEARABLE online mode, no tripping, and alt. costumes for characters..... Some hitstun for combos would be nice too, but with how Brawl was handled... I feel like I'm already pushing my luck by asking for the first three things.

Weyard

Smash Apprentice
That doesn't mean anything. ATs can be changed to include new characters too. As a matter of fact, ATs could be scrapped all together for all we know. But for the sake of argument, let's say they keep them. What makes you think that they will keep the exact same roster from Brawl?
What? If Isaac doesn't become a playable character, and AT's are still around, why would they remove him as an AT??? That makes no sense whatsoever. If AT's are kept, why would they get rid of any of them? excluding those that become playable characters of course. There are only what...like 8 ATs right now? They would be adding more, removing those few that we already have.

I assume that several of the AT's models will be worked into playable characters, Isaac included. It would save time and money. Do you seriously expect them to make all new model's and engine's for this game? They are quite likely to build it off of Brawl. They seem hard pressed for time no matter what, so all shortcuts are welcomed apparently.

AetherEch0s

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
2681-0290-3939
All im asking for is Ridley, good online, a flat stage and MAYBE Layton. I dont mind if tripping is back, or if combos are changed, because they most likely wont care to change it.

Weyard

Smash Apprentice
Super Smash Brothers Strife leaked roster

removed to save space

And many more hidden characters to unlock along the way!

Stay tuned for the most revolutionary competitive fighting game in Nintendo history!

Smash Bros. A fanservice game.
lol stopped reading after Tails. If Sonic gets 2 reps I am not buying it. This isn't a Sonic game, 1 is more than enough.

Strife was proven fake a few days ago.

Weyard

Smash Apprentice
@AetherEch0s

I think it will be the other way around... :\

@CrimsonFeint

It's like I'm in 2006!
Unless Sakurai has changed, forget normal tripping, mid-move tripping and sky tripping are coming.

Food items will constantly drop, you can't turn them off. Your characters are required to eat a certain amount over a certain period of time or they die/lose a stock.

Steam

Smash Hero
Unless Sakurai has changed, forget normal tripping, mid-move tripping and sky tripping are coming.

Food items will constantly drop, you can't turn them off. Your characters are required to eat a certain amount over a certain period of time or they die/lose a stock.
tripping during tripping. Characters also have to go to work mid match and pay taxes every third match.

AetherEch0s

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
2681-0290-3939
also, defecating. Every few minutes of gameplay your character must leave the stage to relieve themselves. Think thats bad, imagine what your are now tripping on xD

Weyard

Smash Apprentice
tripping during tripping. Characters also have to go to work mid match and pay taxes every third match.
All animal-based characters now walk on 4 legs. Trip rate is increased for 2 legged creatures.
All characters must urinate and defecate regularly. Tripping can occur during the "relieving" process.

Items in general cannot be turned off.
No stages have a flat plane.
Shields and rolling have been removed for ease of use. All hits place characters in a state of trip rather than knockback.

Arcadenik

Smash Legend
NNID
Arcadenik
Weyard... what is the difference between Isaac and Matthew in terms of powers/abilities? Absolutely nothing. They can do the exact same things. What are the differences between father and son? Their names and their clothes. That's it. Nothing more, nothing less.

Hell, you wouldn't be able to tell the difference if Matthew got in SSB4 wearing Isaac's clothes as his default costume and bash the game after you read his name "Matthew". You would go into a nerd rage if Isaac got in SSB4 wearing Matthew's clothes as his default costume and then sheepishly take back your harsh words after you read his name "Isaac". Are you going to praise SSB4 for bringing back Ness and then erupt into nerd rage when you read his name "Ninten"? That's just plain silly.

Do not get me wrong. I am a fan of Isaac, Matthew, and the whole Golden Sun series. I call them as I see them. They are the same. They are even interchangeable in terms of protagonist roles in the series. The first Golden Sun is Isaac's story, circa 2001. Isaac got replaced with Felix because The Lost Age is Felix's story, not Isaac's, circa 2003. Felix got replaced with Matthew because Dark Dawn is Matthew's story, not Felix's nor Isaac's, circa 2010 (aka today).

Chidosengan

Smash Lord
Weyard... what is the difference between Isaac and Matthew in terms of powers/abilities? Absolutely nothing. They can do the exact same things. What are the differences between father and son? Their names and their clothes. That's it. Nothing more, nothing less.

Hell, you wouldn't be able to tell the difference if Matthew got in SSB4 wearing Isaac's clothes as his default costume and bash the game after you read his name "Matthew". You would go into a nerd rage if Isaac got in SSB4 wearing Matthew's clothes as his default costume and then sheepishly take back your harsh words after you read his name "Isaac". Are you going to praise SSB4 for bringing back Ness and then erupt into nerd rage when you read his name "Ninten"? That's just plain silly.

Do not get me wrong. I am a fan of Isaac, Matthew, and the whole Golden Sun series. I call them as I see them. They are the same. They are even interchangeable in terms of protagonist roles in the series. The first Golden Sun is Isaac's story, circa 2001. Isaac got replaced with Felix because The Lost Age is Felix's story, not Isaac's, circa 2003. Felix got replaced with Matthew because Dark Dawn is Matthew's story, not Felix's nor Isaac's, circa 2010 (aka today).
And somebody actually backs my argument. Fight my fight will ya? Im going to sleep. thanks :awesome:

Weyard

Smash Apprentice

I literally laughed out loud at that. You have not played through the Golden Sun series.

Isaac is like a god by the end of TLA. He received a portion of the Golden Sun while Alex received the rest.

Evident in the first hour of DD, Isaac's powers have increased by so much that he can sense all lifeforces touching ground within miles and miles.

Matthew is no different than any other adept.

As for Movesets, it would be completely different.

Isaac being a pure blooded venus adept, by default uses mostly Venus psynergy, while Matthew (being the child of venus and mars adepts), starts off with several Mars psynergy that are only obtainable on Isaac is he is carrying a few Mars djinn in GS1 and 2.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom