• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

[Official SSB4 Discussion] --- Nintendo announces 2 new Smash games!

Status
Not open for further replies.

refugee

Smash Journeyman
Brawl was nothing but backlash. Where have you been? From the casual nature to tripping, to the worthless features, to the lack of important reps (Ridley). He knows he messed up big time. That being said, he knows what needs to be fixed this time, but will he?
I wouldn't say Brawl was lacking important reps. There will always be characters that should get in but are left out even with DLC. The most characters I can even see being in the game with DLC would be 75 max.

AetherEch0s

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
2681-0290-3939
I would like to see a gimmicky stage based on the rotation motion control. Like have a stage that tilts as you tilt your controllers (obviously it wouldnt apply to GCcontroller). That way, if the other player were to forget, you could tilt the stage and get an advantage on preventing their recovery or dodging an attack. Although if they payed attention the whole time and tried the same against you, the stage would constantly leave back and forth.

Chidosengan

Smash Lord
Brawl was nothing but backlash. Where have you been? From the casual nature to tripping, to the worthless features, to the lack of important reps (Ridley). He knows he messed up big time. That being said, he knows what needs to be fixed this time, but will he?
I did mention I left the boards a few months after Brawl released and just came back. ;)

Btw, who do you mean by "he"? Sakurai? You are aware that there's a 75% chance he wont be even involved in the next Smash project right?

refugee

Smash Journeyman
I would like to see a gimmicky stage based on the rotation motion control. Like have a stage that tilts as you tilt your controllers (obviously it wouldnt apply to GCcontroller). That way, if the other player were to forget, you could tilt the stage and get an advantage on preventing their recovery or dodging an attack. Although if they payed attention the whole time and tried the same against you, the stage would constantly leave back and forth.
Thus making players with a GCN controller at an extradonary disadvantage. Or they could control the stage with the C stick instead.

AetherEch0s

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
2681-0290-3939
Actually, more like a 50% chance. KIU is basically done, so he probably has nothing new to work on, other than SSB4. I doubt Nintendo would start another one without atleast giving him a chance to join in.

@ Steam

Everyone bought the game in a hyped up rampage. You mean you were entriely satisfied with Brawl once you got it? HA

Kantrip

Kantplay
Also, I don't like the DLC idea. It would be hard to coordinate tournaments knowing that setups would need every character. Lack of internet access would screw with the lives of people who bring setups, and the competitive scene would die from more characters coming into the metagame and messing with everything.

I dunno...

refugee

Smash Journeyman
Also, I don't like the DLC idea. It would be hard to coordinate tournaments knowing that setups would need every character. Lack of internet access would screw with the lives of people who bring setups, and the competitive scene would die from more characters coming into the metagame and messing with everything.

I dunno...
They can always release a disc that contained the DLC. I remember doing that for Halo 2.

AetherEch0s

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
2681-0290-3939
Thus making players with a GCN controller at an extradonary disadvantage. Or they could control the stage with the C stick instead.
But C stick is already used for smash attacks. I was going on the assumption that GC controllers might be gone. If the new controller is like they described it, its just a GC controller with a huge screen in the middle anyway, the "handles" on the sides would be in a similar place that it feels the same.

Starphoenix

How Long Have I Been Asleep?
NNID
GalaxyPhoenix
3DS FC
2122-6914-9465
We're actually not talking about characters really right now but more like DLC and implementation of said DLC. :p
And I did just that, but I was passed up in the ensuing onslaught of posts. So I'll take my leave tonight. Carry on chaps.

Chidosengan

Smash Lord
Actually, more like a 50% chance. KIU is basically done, so he probably has nothing new to work on, other than SSB4. I doubt Nintendo would start another one without atleast giving him a chance to join in.

@ Steam

Everyone bought the game in a hyped up rampage. You mean you were entriely satisfied with Brawl once you got it? HA
Weren't you? I mean the game is really good. The problem is the lack of actual fan service (you know, the whole point of the franchise?) and the catering to the casual crowd (hence why so many controls options) that hit us a couple of months after release.

refugee

Smash Journeyman
But C stick is already used for smash attacks. I was going on the assumption that GC controllers might be gone. If the new controller is like they described it, its just a GC controller with a huge screen in the middle anyway, the "handles" on the sides would be in a similar place that it feels the same.
I heard GCN will still be playable though. Maybe with the new controller? I guess it could work if that's the case.

AetherEch0s

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
2681-0290-3939
Thus the not being satisfied. I was unsatisfied when i found that Ridley wasnt in it way before release. I merely bought it for the hopes of DLC back then, only to have that crushed with their weak online capabilities.

Weyard

Smash Apprentice
I'd like to see a Mt Aleph summit stage. After a few minutes the beams from the towers could fire out and form the Golden Sun. Anyone directly under it could gain some temporary Stat increases or something, possibly invincibility. Would be sort of similar to the Wario Ware stage in that aspect.

Steam

Smash Hero
Weren't you? I mean the game is really good. The problem is the lack of actual fan service (you know, the whole point of the franchise?) and the catering to the casual crowd (hence why so many controls options) that hit us a couple of months after release.
casual crowd= a majority of the fans being serviced

and I'm not really fanboying with lucario... I don't even want him in the game and he may or may not be in anyways... depends entirely on roster size to be honest.

Kantrip

Kantplay
Releasing updates to the game is a slippery slope. It's almost like using texture hacks in your game, because it makes the game different and if one setup has something another one doesn't, it makes it impossible to play even matches on both setups. There could be stages, characters, and even hotfixes in these updates! And if that's the case, missing out on one is detrimental, and makes it very difficult to coordinate competitve play.

I like my smash released all at once in a casual and hardcore friendly package. No patches please.

AetherEch0s

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
2681-0290-3939
Yet, the Cafe is said to be made for Hardcore gamers, leaving the casual gamers relatively behind. Thats what the rumors are saying. Hopefully SSB4 will take the same route.

refugee

Smash Journeyman
Do you honestly believe that the GCN controller will be used for the next game? :ohwell:
Lol, I remember reading that GCN will be playable on the new system but I didn't remember that new controller will be more like a GCN one.

Chidosengan

Smash Lord

and I'm not really fanboying with lucario... I don't even want him in the game and he may or may not be in anyways... depends entirely on roster size to be honest.
I'm talking about the fans that know Nintendo's history inside out, but I can kinda see your point.

Kantrip

Kantplay
Yeah next system will be able to play any nintendo platform in some way. (Virtual console, gamecube, wii, new games)

Weyard

Smash Apprentice

lol sorry about that. I found my comment funny at first but after I posted it I thought it in bad taste so I removed it.

I would rather have Zoroark, but I don't particularly have anything against Lucario returning.

refugee

Smash Journeyman
Releasing updates to the game is a slippery slope. It's almost like using texture hacks in your game, because it makes the game different and if one setup has something another one doesn't, it makes it impossible to play even matches on both setups. There could be stages, characters, and even hotfixes in these updates! And if that's the case, missing out on one is detrimental, and makes it very difficult to coordinate competitve play.

I like my smash released all at once in a casual and hardcore friendly package. No patches please.
Not if people are forced to get the patches before going online. Problem solved. Competitive players will be the ones who will be the most knowledgeable and up to date when it comes to new characters/maps, just like any other video game community.

AetherEch0s

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
2681-0290-3939
I dont like Lucario because although based on Anubis, doesnt do it to my tastes as a fan of the Egyptian culture. Plus, he got in and Mewtwo didnt, seemingly replacing him. Thats why i could care less if he makes it or not.

Weyard

Smash Apprentice
Not if people are forced to get the patches before going online. Problem solved. Competitive players will be the ones who will be the most knowledgeable and up to date when it comes to new characters/maps.
this. It should only allow you online after downloading the latest patchs.

Steam

Smash Hero
would have no problem with zoroark in... but he just seems to fit perfectly as a pokeball pokemon, appearing as any other pokemon, then is suddenly zoroark and attacks everything (maybe the owner of the pokeball even)

Lucario probably won't be high on the priority list. but it depends entirely on roster size. if it's big he's pretty much in. if it's smaller his chances are low.

edit: it's not even confirmed that he's based on anubis... resemblance is faint and there are many theories on what he's based off of... some to japanese mythology as well.

AetherEch0s

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
2681-0290-3939
Zoroark could have a unique movest and "ability" so theres no reason to limit him to a pokeball. When starting a match he could appear as one of the other players and use their attacks until hit once, then he reverts to his normal form with his own unique attacks. When KO'd once, he would return as one of the random characters in the match. Seems like a pretty interesting gimmick to me.

Weyard

Smash Apprentice
Zoroark could have a unique movest and "ability" so theres no reason to limit him to a pokeball. When starting a match he could appear as one of the other players and use their attacks until hit once, then he reverts to his normal form with his own unique attacks. When KO'd once, he would return as one of the random characters in the match. Seems like a pretty interesting gimmick to me.
But against someone like Pit or Falco, that ability is useless because it is almost guaranteed that you are going to get clipped by a projectile before you can get a move in.

AetherEch0s

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
2681-0290-3939
Like any other online game with patches. I'm wondering if this guy has played one in the last few years.
Thats how it is on any online game. Even on the Wii itself, it wont let you on channels that are awaiting an update. Even if you dont download/purchase the characters, you would be required to download an update that allows you to see them.

Steam

Smash Hero
problem is zoroark can't actually use his opponent's moves. he just looks like them.

Arcadenik

Smash Legend
NNID
Arcadenik
I think every character deserves a stage to be honest, but I don't know how well that would work.
Try, but with this much activity it won't be easy.

How many stages per franchise should their be? I feel as though their is this sort of unspoken amount of slots per series. Am I wrong?
Personally, I think that at the very least, every franchise that has at least one playable character should have at least one stage. I am not saying if a series got a stage, that series needs a character (like some people use as a reason to support an Animal Crossing character, what about Pictochat and Electroplankton, huh?)... I am saying if a series got a playable character, that series needs a character (why this didn't apply to R.O.B., I don't understand but he could have gotten a stage from Gyromite :p).

I would rather they add 50 brand-new stages and not bring back any past stages from SSB/Melee/Brawl. How many times do I have to see Hyrule Castle, Big Blue, etc.? If I wanted to play on these stages, I'd play Melee or Brawl.

AetherEch0s

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
2681-0290-3939
But against someone like Pit or Falco, that ability is useless because it is almost guaranteed that you are going to get clipped by a projectile before you can get a move in.
Thats why its a gimmick. It would help in some situations, and hurt in others. Imagine the mind games in a 4 player online match for those who arent expecting it or paying much attention.

AetherEch0s

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
2681-0290-3939
problem is zoroark can't actually use his opponent's moves. he just looks like them.
Forgot about that. Still, i doubt Sakurai would care enough to know that, what with the other glaring canonological problems. Although, it would still have the same effect even if he keeps his own attacks. Like if he appeared as Ganon, they would see him use what appears to be a slow Warlock Punch only to be hit by a fast Night Burst.

refugee

Smash Journeyman
Personally, I think that at the very least, every franchise that has at least one playable character should have at least one stage. I am not saying if a series got a stage, that series needs a character (like some people use as a reason to support an Animal Crossing character, what about Pictochat and Electroplankton, huh?)... I am saying if a series got a playable character, that series needs a character (why this didn't apply to R.O.B., I don't understand but he could have gotten a stage from Gyromite :p).

I would rather they add 50 brand-new stages and not bring back any past stages from SSB/Melee/Brawl. How many times do I have to see Hyrule Castle, Big Blue, etc.? If I wanted to play on these stages, I'd play Melee or Brawl.
Yes I agree with this except for not bringing back old stages. I don't see the problem with that and especially if they update them a bit like making certain parts destructible and change the layout a bit.

Arcadenik

Smash Legend
NNID
Arcadenik
I'd like to see a Mt Aleph summit stage. After a few minutes the beams from the towers could fire out and form the Golden Sun. Anyone directly under it could gain some temporary Stat increases or something, possibly invincibility. Would be sort of similar to the Wario Ware stage in that aspect.
Belinsk (Golden Sun: Dark Dawn) - be forewarned that the links may contain spoilers
Belinsk is the capital of the Morgal country in the northeastern part of the Angara continent. It is a fortified coastal city populated with Beastmen (read: furries). I envision this stage as something similar to Peach's Castle in Melee as the stage takes place on the rooftops of the central plaza.

The stages alternates between daytime and nighttime. When it is daytime, the stage is pretty much normal with no hazards. However, when nighttime occurs, Crystallux, a Venus-based Summon, breaks through the rooftops in the middle of the stage. This creates a temporary hole that characters can fall in. The hole shows the interior of the destroyed Belinsk Opera House. Crystallux then starts attacking the stage by shooting light beams. As nighttime turns into daytime, the rooftops repair themselves and the cycle starts over.

refugee

Smash Journeyman
Tournaments aren't online, and the console doesn't have to go online at all to play a game.
Well whoever is hosting that tournament better be able to go online then so it can be up to date. That's how the competitive scene goes in any other game.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom