• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

[Official SSB4 Discussion] --- Nintendo announces 2 new Smash games!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Shorts

Zef Side
Premium
3DS FC
3136-6583-3704
it IS supposed to be superior to PS3 and XB360, by all specs. Those are just rumors, but still, they claim that it will be better = WILL have room for DLC.
I just told you that the memory is supposed to be less than awesome. So most likely no DLC.

Chidosengan

Smash Lord
Define HD. Because I'm not clear on what this means. It's rumored to have the same capabilities as somerthing that plays blu-ray discs. Does Blu-Ray strenght neccisarily equal HD?

And how about just having a BALANCED ROSTER? Not 4000000 unbalanced, but a normal amount of characters, who play unique and are balanced. That sounds nice and realisitic.
I mean hard drive disk (HDD). Missed one d lol.

AetherEch0s

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
2681-0290-3939
35 or so characters in brawl, MetaKnight and Snake are on the top. Then, add in the chain throwers and it furthers the top tier. It is not balanced with 35 characters. Melee was not balanced with 25 characters. Why keep the numbers so low, when there are deserving characters out there, and balancing isnt one of their goals to begin with? I could easily see 50-70 characters, with about 10 or so top tier characters.

Starphoenix

How Long Have I Been Asleep?
NNID
GalaxyPhoenix
3DS FC
2122-6914-9465
Project cafe most likely won't be using an HD, so it's probably going to be just like the Wii's flash memory i.e no dlc.
You do realize high capacity SD cards work just the same, actually better, than hardrives? They can store the same amount of data as a hard drive, are more durable, and cost a little less. If Nintendo can secure a deal with like Sansdisk for a licensed high capacity card, the Project Cafe could still secure DLC.

•Col•

Smash Champion
No, DLC could work for SSB4! No need to worry about if the Cafe has a hardrive or not... Just do what Capcom does... Put all of the DLC on the actual disk, and make you pay an extra fee to unlock it.

:troll:

Steam

Smash Hero
35 or so characters in brawl, MetaKnight and Snake are on the top. Then, add in the chain throwers and it furthers the top tier. It is not balanced with 35 characters. Melee was not balanced with 25 characters. Why keep the numbers so low, when there are deserving characters out there, and balancing isnt one of their goals to begin with? I could easily see 50-70 characters, with about 10 or so top tier characters.
without metaknight, brawl is pretty balanced. and the "chaingrabbers" aren't that good. the only one reliant on them is D3 and he might be mid tier soon.

also snake won't be second for long

also 50-70 characters is probably too much o_0

Shorts

Zef Side
Premium
3DS FC
3136-6583-3704
This place is a freaking mad house. I'm nervous for post E3 and the trauma it brings. I have never seen so many posters!

Chidosengan

Smash Lord
You do realize high capacity SD cards work just the same, actually better, than hardrives? They can store the same amount of data as a hard drive, are more durable, and cost a little less. If Nintendo can secure a deal with like Sansdisk for a licensed high capacity card, the Project Cafe could still secure DLC.
That even IF the console supports that type of SD cards.

Steam

Smash Hero
I don't even know what we're discussing anymore, it was lucario then bowser jr./toad and now I have no idea what's going on in here. I should leave.

AetherEch0s

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
2681-0290-3939
Would you be satisfied with 20 fully balanced characters? Nothing new, no new characters. They just cut out the broke characters, update the graphics and give it better online. Would you be satisfied with that?

I wouldnt. Sure, balance is needed, but it should not be used as a crutch to keep the roster low.

refugee

Smash Journeyman
Define HD. Because I'm not clear on what this means. It's rumored to have the same capabilities as somerthing that plays blu-ray discs. Does Blu-Ray strenght neccisarily equal HD?

And how about just having a BALANCED ROSTER? Not 4000000 unbalanced, but a normal amount of characters, who play unique and are balanced. That sounds nice and realisitic.
He meant HDD (Hard Disk Drive) the thing that can store a ton of memory. I agree with the second paragraph.

Steam

Smash Hero
Would you be satisfied with 20 fully balanced characters? Nothing new, no new characters. They just cut out the broke characters, update the graphics and give it better online. Would you be satisfied with that?

I wouldnt. Sure, balance is needed, but it should not be used as a crutch to keep the roster low.
they don't cut out broken characters. they rebalance them. and it wouldn't be hard to do lol. just take the current roster... add some new ones and you're good.

refugee

Smash Journeyman
They couldn't be balanced because there were no patches. If there, then they can constantly be balanced.

Shorts

Zef Side
Premium
3DS FC
3136-6583-3704

SFIV. Balanced enough, and has a decent roster. You're beung unrealistic. Balance with a decent roster can be achieved. Asking for a large unbalanced roster is just stupid. What's the point of playing when three characters destroy everyone else?

AetherEch0s

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
2681-0290-3939
Yes, they could have 40-50 characters, and run the dlc balance patches like Mortal Kombat i think is doing.
The point i am getting at is, why does brawl have a small roster? Its not to keep things balanced. So it needs to get in all the deserving characters and stop playing around.

refugee

Smash Journeyman
SFIV. Balanced enough, and has a decent roster. You're beung unrealistic. Balance with a decent roster can be achieved. Asking for a large unbalanced roster is just stupid. What's the point of playing when three characters destroy everyone else?
QFT. The roster can be balanced while characters are added slowly. Not sure why this is so hard to understand.

refugee

Smash Journeyman
Yes, they could have 40-50 characters, and run the dlc balance patches like Mortal Kombat i think is doing.
The point i am getting at is, why does brawl have a small roster? Its not to keep things balanced. So it needs to get in all the deserving characters and stop playing around.
DLC shouldn't come out all at once like day 1. If it does that just means the content was held back. Real DLC takes actual time to develop.

AetherEch0s

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
2681-0290-3939
But the roster ISNT balanced in Melee, or Brawl, what makes you think it will be this time? They might as well get in all the deserving reps and get it over with. Balancing can come afterwards through patches, lowering priority, knockback or damage, or adding hitstun to certain moves.

Yes, they can keep adding dlc characters, but all the bases need to be covered to some degree before hand.

Chidosengan

Smash Lord
Because, as I mentioned, all of those useless features that were added in Brawl. Who consistently uses the bare bones stage creator? The VC demos? The needlessly long wonky 1P Adventure mode? I'm pretty sure that's why the game uses so much memory.

Starphoenix

How Long Have I Been Asleep?
NNID
GalaxyPhoenix
3DS FC
2122-6914-9465
That even IF the console supports that type of SD cards.
Trust me, Nintendo has been behind the times on numerous things, but I have enough confidence they will rectify themselves this time around. If they forego external hard drives it will be because of SDHC. They have already been a big proponent of SD cards as the latest four systems (Wii, DSi, DSiXL, and 3DS) have all had functionality and slots for them. The problem is they haven't pushed that technology further and missed a lot of opportunities, updating Virtual Console games to play off of the SD card was a step in the right direction until all progress stopped completely. If Nintendo is serious about this next console (given the astronomical amount of money they have spent on R&D with this system as compared to previous systems indicate) than the most logical and effective choice would be to have an update-able SD card slot compatible with current SDHC cards. Like I said previously, since they aren't exactly common, if Nintendo could secure a license to their own brand of Café memory cards. It would provide an option for developers without loading a bunch of memory into the system thus raising the MSRP.

Believe me, third party developers won't have any qualms with it. Space is space. Nintendo just needs to make sure they develop it right, because if they do they will be in a very comfortable place.

Steam

Smash Hero
also street fighter only has balance because there is little to no character diversity and next to no depth. jussayin.

refugee

Smash Journeyman
But the roster ISNT balanced in Melee, or Brawl, what makes you think it will be this time? They might as well get in all the deserving reps and get it over with. Balancing can come afterwards through patches, lowering priority, knockback or damage, or adding hitstun to certain moves.
Because if this one actually allows DLC/patches to happen then it CAN BE balanced over time. The reason why the other two weren't because there were NO patches. Putting in all the "deserving" reps is going to take a lot of time. In the mean while, they can balance while adding character at a steady pace.

Shorts

Zef Side
Premium
3DS FC
3136-6583-3704
But the roster ISNT balanced in Melee, or Brawl, what makes you think it will be this time? They might as well get in all the deserving reps and get it over with. Balancing can come afterwards.
Because this isn't Brawl or Melee. Simple as that. Circumstances are different for SSB4 and could possibly be VERY different if Sakurai is gone. The Wii and Project Cafe are supposedly aimed at different audiences and Nintendo knows the mistakes they made with Brawl. Melee isn't balanced and they may have had some backlash for that, but they have to hear the massive crack of the Brawl Backlash Whip.

AetherEch0s

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
2681-0290-3939
Exactly, without the worthless features there would be room for who knows how many more characters. Once the game is "complete" release it. Any new reps can come as dlc afterwards.

The promise of DLC characters wont sell the game alone, they need the most wanted characters in there. The leftovers can be saved for dlc.

Chidosengan

Smash Lord
Because this isn't Brawl or Melee. Simple as that. Circumstances are different for SSB4 and could possibly be VERY different if Sakurai is gone. The Wii and Project Cafe are supposedly aimed at different audiences and Nintendo knows the mistakes they made with Brawl. Melee isn't balanced, but they have to hear the massive crack of the Brawl Backlash Whip.
There was backlash with Brawl?

Also I agree. I hope they get a fighting and Smash enthusiastic on board instead of a guy who didn't wanted to be on the project in the first place (Sakurai said that the development for Melee was hell for him).

refugee

Smash Journeyman
Because, as I mentioned, all of those useless features that were added in Brawl. Who consistently uses the bare bones stage creator? The VC demos? The needlessly long wonky 1P Adventure mode? I'm pretty sure that's why the game uses so much memory.
Yes those things did waste a ton of space that could of been used for characters/stages. I think the stage creator does have potential though and should be expanded instead of cut. They can cut the VC demos though and scale down adventure mode.

AetherEch0s

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
2681-0290-3939
Or remove it altogether. If Sakurai wants a generic sidescrolling adventure game, make another Kirby. I dont think any of you bought Brawl because of SSE.

refugee

Smash Journeyman
Exactly, without the worthless features there would be room for who knows how many more characters. Once the game is "complete" release it. Any new reps can come as dlc afterwards.

The promise of DLC characters wont sell the game alone, they need the most wanted characters in there. The leftovers can be saved for dlc.
And I agree with this. Balance the most wanted, then balance while adding characters.

Shorts

Zef Side
Premium
3DS FC
3136-6583-3704

Also I agree. I hope they get a fighting and Smash enthusiastic on board instead of a guy who didn't wanted to be on the project in the first place (Sakurai said that the development for Melee was hell for him).
Have you heard the massive fueds on this website? Brawl vs. Melee debates last forever. Backlash is plentiful in the hardcore gaming community. I mean, when a ten year old tells you he wants to play brawl because it's "easier" you know you slipped up.

refugee

Smash Journeyman

I should note Melee was hell for him because he had only 13 months to develop it.

Chidosengan

Smash Lord
Or remove it altogether. If Sakurai wants a generic sidescrolling adventure game, make another Kirby. I dont think any of you bought Brawl because of SSE.
SSE was an awesome idea at first, I was really phyced by the fact that they were expanding the 1P mode from Melee. I always thought it was awesome. But the final result was really disappointing. It tried to tell a story and failed miserably.

Arcadenik

Smash Legend
NNID
Arcadenik
Either when someone mentions them, or when someone makes a discussion for new Mario characters and someone calls Toad as a non viable candidate because he can't fight or that he is minor. After this, the huge discussions occur. I believe this is the reason.
To me, it seems that whenever Bowser Jr. supporters proclaim the Mario series lost one character and did not get another newcomer in Brawl, Bowser Jr. should get in because he deserves it the most... Toad supporters come out and proclaim that Toad deserves it more because he has been around much longer than Bowser Jr. has... and then Bowser Jr. supporters fire back with the "Toad has no moveset potential!" card... which the Toad supporters counter with the "Bowser Jr. will end up as a clone of Bowser!" card... and then the butthurt Bowser Jr. supporters claim that they would rather add a character from an under-represented series (Metroid, F-Zero, Mother, etc.) because Mario series has enough characters when you include Yoshi, Wario, and Donkey Kong characters. :awesome:

EDIT: I would like to discuss about stages (that are not Battlefield and Final Destination and past stages) we would like to see in Smash 4. There's more to Smash than just the characters. :p

AetherEch0s

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
2681-0290-3939
Brawl was nothing but backlash. Where have you been? From the casual nature to tripping, to the worthless features, to the lack of important reps (Ridley). He knows he messed up big time. That being said, he knows what needs to be fixed this time, but will he?

refugee

Smash Journeyman
To me, it seems that whenever Bowser Jr. supporters proclaim the Mario series lost one character and did not get another newcomer in Brawl, Bowser Jr. should get in because he deserves it the most... Toad supporters come out and proclaim that Toad deserves it more because he has been around much longer than Bowser Jr. has... and then Bowser Jr. supporters fire back with the "Toad has no moveset potential!" card... which the Toad supporters counter with the "Bowser Jr. will end up as a clone of Bowser!" card... and then the butthurt Bowser Jr. supporters claim that they would rather add a character from an under-represented series (Metroid, F-Zero, Mother, etc.) because Mario series has enough characters when you include Yoshi, Wario, and Donkey Kong characters. :awesome:

I would like to discuss about stages (that are not Battlefield and Final Destination and past stages) we would like to see in Smash 4. There's more to Smash than just the characters. :p
We're actually not talking about characters really right now but more like DLC and implementation of said DLC. :p

Steam

Smash Hero
Brawl was nothing but backlash. Where have you been? From the casual nature to tripping, to the worthless features, to the lack of important reps (Ridley). He knows he messed up big time. That being said, he knows what needs to be fixed this time, but will he?
sales tell a different story

Shorts

Zef Side
Premium
3DS FC
3136-6583-3704
I would like to discuss about stages (that are not Battlefield and Final Destination and past stages) we would like to see in Smash 4. There's more to Smash than just the characters. :p
Try, but with this much activity it won't be easy.

How many stages per franchise should their be? I feel as though their is this sort of unspoken amount of slots per series. Am I wrong?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom