• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

[Official SSB4 Discussion] --- Nintendo announces 2 new Smash games!

Status
Not open for further replies.

UberMario

Smash Master
I heavily doubt Mickey Mouse will get in, even with 20+ Nintendo games, just because he didn't originate from a game, not to mention he's not exactly the violent type.

inb4jigglypuff

Moogi

Smash Apprentice
Jigglypuff
WHAT IS THIS I DON'T EVEN-

I... actually wouldn't mind Epic Mickey... Mickey. :p
It's not gonna happen though, but then again, they DID show Epic Mickey at Ninty's E3 Conference.

Okay, I'll take back the Bomberman thing, especially with Hudson's bond to Nintendo. /coughMarioPartycough :p

ryuu seika

Smash Master
Preferable Megaman and someone else that's worthy.
Personally I love Bomberman :3 But he has the whole Konami thing that could pose as a potential road block..
So if this is true, I would hope the fourth company would be Square Enix. However I have no clue who would rep it. Hopefully Blackmage or....dare I say it.... Sora :p
Megaman would be cool if he got copy abilities.

Bomberman would be a fun addition for sure.

Square stuff would mean I never bought another smash.

Moogi

Smash Apprentice
This topic's been dead for EVAR. D: (at least in a different perspective)

If a Black Mage got in, I wouldn't mind. If Geno did.... I'd be done with Smash. /opinions opinions

So... someone wanna change the topic?

Moogi

Smash Apprentice
There will be no next smash
Link or it never happened. /lolfail

I really don't think Ninty's gonna throw away one of their huge money-makers. Even if Sakurai doesn't make it, someone else will. If they don't... then I've lost all hope in Nintendo :c

Jaklub

Smash Journeyman
If they won't make SSB4, I will not buy successor of Wii.

... Oh wait, I probably will anyway.

BirthNote

Smash Master
NNID
GeneticDestiny
Here is a random idea:

Does anyone remember the person that mentioned Special Throws in this thread's earliest pages? I'm not gonna search to verify, but I remember the person stating that you grab your opponent, and then press Up & B, or Down & B, etc.

Anyway, my random idea is what if they put in Smash throws as well? You basically take that Special Throw idea and use the A button instead. Opinions?

ryuu seika

Smash Master
That's just silly, I'm not gonna force you to be *insert SE character* :p
No but I'd have to fight them and then I'd rage. I put off buying Melee and Brawl for ages because I just couldn't stand losing to Pikachu, FF crap and I'd never buy it.

Might I suggest the moon from Majora's Mask as a circular stage that you could run upside down on? I think such a gravity oddity would work well in smash.

augustoflores

Smash Hero
NNID
augustoflores
3DS FC
4828-5782-2252
Switch FC
SW-2867-0942-2202
Here is a random idea:

Does anyone remember the person that mentioned Special Throws in this thread's earliest pages? I'm not gonna search to verify, but I remember the person stating that you grab your opponent, and then press Up & B, or Down & B, etc.

Anyway, my random idea is what if they put in Smash throws as well? You basically take that Special Throw idea and use the A button instead. Opinions?
finally! something interesting to talk about!
i love the idea! no i haven't heard of it and i cannot believe i hadn't thought of it myself... and as for my being missing... i never got around to making an animated character moveset, too busy with devArt.
unfortunately, here in the Ossb4DT, it will have to take 4 people to square dance (bad joke, sorry)

Pieman0920

Smash Master
I don't think the moon from MM would work well as a circular stage to run underneath, mainly due to the fact that the point of the game was that the moon was caught in the Earth/Termina/whatever's gravity. There was a very distinct pull there.

ToiseOfChoice

Smash Ace
Yeah, MM's moon wasn't Galaxy. You want an orbital stage, that's your best bet.

I'm suddenly reminded of the idea of one-hit kill moves from certain ATs/bosses/whatever that kill you regardless of walls and knockback. Closest thing Melee/Brawl had to that was getting squished in SSE or stamina mode.

Thinking something like Turtles in Time where you're hit directly into the screen as opposed to happening to fall in front of it. Or the reverse, I guess, as opposed to blasting off again. Or maybe just exploding like in SSE depending on the move, whatever's good.

fake edit: actually, crap, thinking about the old TMNT games makes me want all sorts of wacky animated deaths (also like Battletoads if you never played TMNT)

Arcadenik

Smash Legend
NNID
Arcadenik
i love the idea! no i haven't heard of it and i cannot believe i hadn't thought of it myself... and as for my being missing... i never got around to making an animated character moveset, too busy with devArt.
unfortunately, here in the Ossb4DT, it will have to take 4 people to square dance (bad joke, sorry)
I'm almost certain that Kuma had mentioned aerial throws a few times before in the past but it tends to get overlooked, dismissed, or forgotten quickly. :p You guys know how Kuma loves to talk about gameplay.

Big-Cat

Challenge accepted.
NNID
KumaOso
3DS FC
1590-4853-0104
Did someone say gameplay?!

In all seriousness, I think air grabs (as opposed to command grabs) can work if and only if they throw forward and backward. I shouldn't have to explain how OP it would be if up and down were included.

UberMario

Smash Master
Up wouldn't be too bad, and down would be a cool finisher. I don't think it would be overpowered that much, ater all, how often will you be in a position to grab your opponent in the air? especially when compared to meteor smashes? (except tether and grapple grabs might be a problem when it comes to balance due to their range)

Big-Cat

Challenge accepted.
NNID
KumaOso
3DS FC
1590-4853-0104
With a game like Super Smash Bros., I'd say it's pretty often since you're very close to your opponent most of the time. And then there's grab ranges. Those can be very deceptive.

Anyway, I'd prefer to see it applied to just tether grabs since it's pretty obvious. I think each tether should have different uses. Link's would be to pull himself in and attack, making it for a good combo followup if timed right, for example.

Speaking of which, I see Link working best as an anti-air, tool-based character, just like he is in the Zelda games.

ElPanandero

Smash Lord
NNID
ElPanandero
A character who lacks the basic ability to jump, an anti-air, ironic :p

@Toise
You may be the official coolest person in the universe for bringing up TMNT turtles in Time. props to you for being the best.

Pita

Smash Apprentice
All the Brawl Characters, + Pichu, Mewtwo, Roy, Krystal (from Starfox), Ridley (From Metroid, just reduce his size just like Charizard), Dixie Kong, and maybe Midna, Waluigi, and Rosalina too? Another F-Zero character would be a nice addition as well.

All the Melee stages + ALL SSB64 Stages + Brawl ones + Some new stages too. Yes, I'm asking for a lot. I want each incarnation of Battlefield (all 3 games) and Final Destination (Melee/Brawl) as well.

Option to turn off stage hazards for each level (and pick which ones you want).

Tag fights: Choose X characters. This is your team. Each character has X stocks and when they lose all stocks you switch over to the next character.

More Hitstun on attacks, with Melee speed and gravity. Wavedashing/L-cancelling isn't 100% necessary but would be very nice to have. If the Wavedash returns, make it look more natural. Easy short hops in Brawl can stay though (no need to have tech skill be difficult).

And of course, BALANCE. (No chain grabs either, they're stupid).

UberMario

Smash Master
I felt like throwing a bunch of random [new] gameplay mechanics that I thought of off the top of my head onto here. Treat them independently from each other as I intended no relation in between them unless noted:

-Crates, barrels, and party balls are solid, behaving like walls from the sides and being able to stand on them, like how the rolling crate works in Brawl.

-Running into someone results in a "tackle", tripping the foe and giving them damage, but the walking interaction behaves like it does in the three current games.

-Spawn points glow for four seconds in advance before releasing an item, allowing the players enough time to react accordingly

-All projectiles can be tilted, allowing them to go in any direction, including downwards. On a Gamecube/Classic controller the C-stick is used to aim
-Along with the above, using the Y button allows for a "lock-on" mode when held, with the D-Pad being used to select a target. The cons? Until you let go of the Y button (thus shutting off the lock-on mode), you can't shield or taunt, the character you're locking on to will have a color-coded circle flash on top of them when first locked-on to, and attacks deal 1% less damage

-Electric-attacks do double the damage when used against someone who is using a water-based attack or was hit by a water-based attack within the last five seconds

-Characters have different idle animations when above 100% (i.e. Mario would pant like he did in SM64)

-Attacks become more powerful, but slower when the user has higher damage. Similarly, their shields becomes slightly weaker (but have little-to-no ending lag) and their run speed becomes slower.

-All characters have at least one special ability, like some characters have currently (i.e. walljumping, gliding, tethers, running with crates, etc.)

-The victor in a match MUST land on the stage before being declared the winner. So sacrificial ko finishes aren't as useful. If no characters are left on the stage, it resets to a REAL sudden death match, with both characters having 50HP. Timeouts also result in this UNLESS a character has a stock lead.
-Similarly, rather than going to a victory screen, the winning character does his victory poses on the stage itself.

-Stages have a standard mode, and a competition mode, one where stages are less interactive and are slightly re-configured to make them smaller/more viable (i.e. Temple would be reduced to the upper building, Spear Pillar would have a large hole in the middle of the platform and no Pokemon affecting gameplay, etc.)

-Characters from the same series can have unique victory poses when they win on the same team. (i.e. Mario and Peach)

-Each successive move in a combo does an extra amount of damage per hit, increasing with each chained blow (i.e. 2nd hit does an extra 1%, 8th hit does an extra 7%, etc.)

-If a character is grabbed more than once in a row, they can do a "counter pummel" to escape, thus making chaingrabs "impossible" to be overlooked by programmers.

-Freefalls no longer exist as they normally do. Instead, after a recovery move you can still use your aerials, like Sonic, Snake, and Mr. G&W can in Brawl.

-There are four regular taunts, aswell as one special taunt per character. (for example, Snake's Codecs or Star Fox's messages are special taunts)

-Alternate costumes are far more common. (for example, Mario can have his SMS look, complete with the sunglasses and Hawaiian shirt he could get, Luigi could look like Mr. L, Peach like Daisy, Wario like Wario Land wario, etc.)

There would be ten "character templates", rather than just six templates like in Brawl. *note, newcomers are just used as examples, not as the only new characters in the game*
Current:
-"Standard template" characters, the majority of characters would fit this category, as it involves three tilts, three regular smashes, four specials, etc.
-"Projectile-based" characters, ones who's Smash attacks behave like specials, are more common. (Snake, Ness, and Lucas would fall into this category)
-"Physical-based" characters, ones who's specials behave like standard attacks and have no elemental effects, are more common. (Marth and Little Mac would fit in this category)
-"Group-based" "characters", slots that are actually more than one character, are more common, with most of them having seperate movesets when going solo. Both of the characters need to be killed to be considered a stock (with the AI being human controlled when the human's character goes out first), but they are weaker than most characters. (Ice Climbers, Waddle Dee & Waddle Doo, and Plusle & Minun would fall under this category, but Olimar and the Pokemon Trainer would not)
-"Tagteam-based" characters, ones that involve more than one character swapping in and out midplay, but are not treated independtly in terms of stocks and percentages. (Zelda/Shiek, Adeline [more specifically her drawings] and the Pokemon Trainer would fit into this category)
-"Leadership-based" characters, ones that involve a main character and several minions that either follow the main character or act as pseudo-projectiles, but don't need to be defeated to have a stock taken away from the player. (Olimar, DeDeDe *if unchanged*, and *if you feel Megaman Legends deserves a shot at SSB* Tron Bonne & her Servbots would fit in this category)

New:
-"Tanklike" characters, ones that are super heavy (as heavy as Melee Giga Bowser or more), huge, and really powerfu, but they can't grab, can't be grabbed, can't grab ledges, and are incapable of jumping.
-"Air-based" characters, ones that are light, and can fly for long periods of time [about twenty seconds per flight], but their UpBs [for most of them, there are some obvious exceptions] aren't recoveries and they must "recharge" their "fly power", like how ROB works in Brawl, but more pronounced. (longer fly times, longer recharging times, Pit, Meta-Knight, Kirby, DeDeDe, Charizard, Ridley, Jigglypuff, and ROB would be moved to this template, changing their flight abilities somewhat)
-"Strategy-based" characters, ones who have a limited supply of any particular projectile, and use another by swapping with a taunt button or simply running out of something. If their final projectile store runs out, the special becomes useless for the rest of the MATCH, not just the stock. To counteract the amount of stocks in a specific match, the game would use a "stock multiplier" to give an appropriate number. For example, if the character has 3 of a particular item in a 3-stock match, they'll have 10 in a 10-stock match. (Link and Samus would be moved to this category, and would have new projectiles to choose from)
-"Percentage-based" characters, ones who's movesets radically change beyond a specific percentage. (Lucario would end up here (rather than him just having a power-boosting ability like in Brawl) but would have different standard moves when heavily damaged, and a different side B, with Bone Rush being used in low percentages while Force Palm is used on higher percentages)

Thoughts?

Jaklub

Smash Journeyman
-The victor in a match MUST land on the stage before being declared the winner. So sacrificial ko finishes aren't as useful. If no characters are left on the stage, it resets to a REAL sudden death match, with both characters having 50HP. Timeouts also result in this UNLESS a character has a stock lead.
-Similarly, rather than going to a victory screen, the winning character does his victory poses on the stage itself.
I don't like that. Sacrificial KOs are win.

I don't like strategy based characters idea either.

BirthNote

Smash Master
NNID
GeneticDestiny
i love the idea! no i haven't heard of it and i cannot believe i hadn't thought of it myself.
Thanks. About the Smash throws, I was imagining the type of moves the characters would have if the tosses were in. At first I thought of the Smash throws should be similar to the fighters' regular Smash Attacks, but I think that some of those throws would be better if they were completely different from the regular moves. It could be a way of giving every fighter new moves without the risk of alienating the fans. Basically, I think that if they ever did put in Smash Throws, they can have two moves that's based off of their attacks and the other 2 can be new.

I felt like throwing a bunch of random [new] gameplay mechanics that I thought of off the top of my head onto here. Treat them independently from each other as I intended no relation in between them unless noted:

-Crates, barrels, and party balls are solid, behaving like walls from the sides and being able to stand on them, like how the rolling crate works in Brawl. Cool idea, not much else for me to say

-Running into someone results in a "tackle", tripping the foe and giving them damage, but the walking interaction behaves like it does in the three current games.Another good one. I think the damage should be light with weak knockback. Maybe the knockback can be SLIGHTLY affected by the running fighter's weight and speed...

-Electric-attacks do double the damage when used against someone who is using a water-based attack or was hit by a water-based attack within the last five seconds

-Characters have different idle animations when above 100% (i.e. Mario would pant like he did in SM64)GREAT IDEA.

-Attacks become more powerful, but slower when the user has higher damage. Similarly, their shields becomes slightly weaker (but have little-to-no ending lag) and their run speed becomes slower.I'm not too sure about this one but thats just me.

-Similarly, rather than going to a victory screen, the winning character does his victory poses on the stage itself. I like the victory screen the way it is.

-Characters from the same series can have unique victory poses when they win on the same team. (i.e. Mario and Peach)Good idea.

-If a character is grabbed more than once in a row, they can do a "counter pummel" to escape, thus making chaingrabs "impossible" to be overlooked by programmers. I think this is the best idea here. It seems like the best solution to chain-grabbing.

-Alternate costumes are far more common. (for example, Mario can have his SMS look, complete with the sunglasses and Hawaiian shirt he could get, Luigi could look like Mr. L, Peach like Daisy, Wario like Wario Land wario, etc.)GREAT IDEA. Maybe there could be some made up costumes like a Mr. M: an alternate for Mario that's similar to Luigi's but with the obvious differences in color.

Big-Cat

Challenge accepted.
NNID
KumaOso
3DS FC
1590-4853-0104

-Crates, barrels, and party balls are solid, behaving like walls from the sides and being able to stand on them, like how the rolling crate works in Brawl.
I don't see why not, but I don't see much of a point either.
-Running into someone results in a "tackle", tripping the foe and giving them damage, but the walking interaction behaves like it does in the three current games.
We have dash attacks already.

-Spawn points glow for four seconds in advance before releasing an item, allowing the players enough time to react accordingly
Or just don't have crappy reflexes. Considering the broken nature of items, does it really matter much if you know in advance?
-All projectiles can be tilted, allowing them to go in any direction, including downwards. On a Gamecube/Classic controller the C-stick is used to aim
I think that should only apply to a few characters, namely those that can aim like Pit, Link, and Samus. You lose some diversity by making all projectiles aimable.
-Along with the above, using the Y button allows for a "lock-on" mode when held, with the D-Pad being used to select a target. The cons? Until you let go of the Y button (thus shutting off the lock-on mode), you can't shield or taunt, the character you're locking on to will have a color-coded circle flash on top of them when first locked-on to, and attacks deal 1% less damage
Or just learn to aim. It's a bit tricky at first, but you eventually get the feel when to do projectiles at certain angles.

I think that would probably create some matchup issues. I don't think we should worry too much about elemental attacks. From what I've noticed, they don't make a difference in how much damage they deal.

-Characters have different idle animations when above 100% (i.e. Mario would pant like he did in SM64)
There were plans for textures to be on characters after taking damage (Meta Knight would have a chipped mask). I think this would be a neat aesthetic addition. Just so long as I don't see my character getting tired in the middle of an attack.

-Attacks become more powerful, but slower when the user has higher damage. Similarly, their shields becomes slightly weaker (but have little-to-no ending lag) and their run speed becomes slower.
That doesn't seem really fun to me.

-All characters have at least one special ability, like some characters have currently (i.e. walljumping, gliding, tethers, running with crates, etc.)
That would be very difficult to apply that to every single character when you have a 50-ish roster.

No
This would be nice.
-Stages have a standard mode, and a competition mode, one where stages are less interactive and are slightly re-configured to make them smaller/more viable (i.e. Temple would be reduced to the upper building, Spear Pillar would have a large hole in the middle of the platform and no Pokemon affecting gameplay, etc.)
Just make stages that can satisfy both. I swear, this split between the casual and the competitive communities is ridiculous.
-Characters from the same series can have unique victory poses when they win on the same team. (i.e. Mario and Peach)
Another addition I like. Another one would be where the expand on the Starfox victories.
-Each successive move in a combo does an extra amount of damage per hit, increasing with each chained blow (i.e. 2nd hit does an extra 1%, 8th hit does an extra 7%, etc.)
The opposite of damage scaling.... I think you risk a slippery slope here.

-If a character is grabbed more than once in a row, they can do a "counter pummel" to escape, thus making chaingrabs "impossible" to be overlooked by programmers.
Look up tech grabs. That fixes the problem ten times better.
-Freefalls no longer exist as they normally do. Instead, after a recovery move you can still use your aerials, like Sonic, Snake, and Mr. G&W can in Brawl.
I always wondered why that was there in the first place.
-There are four regular taunts, aswell as one special taunt per character. (for example, Snake's Codecs or Star Fox's messages are special taunts)
Again, how can you apply this to every character.
-Alternate costumes are far more common. (for example, Mario can have his SMS look, complete with the sunglasses and Hawaiian shirt he could get, Luigi could look like Mr. L, Peach like Daisy, Wario like Wario Land wario, etc.)
I was disappointed to see this not expanded on in Brawl. I would prefer Daisy over "Daisy".

There would be ten "character templates", rather than just six templates like in Brawl. *note, newcomers are just used as examples, not as the only new characters in the game*

New:
-"Tanklike" characters, ones that are super heavy (as heavy as Melee Giga Bowser or more), huge, and really powerfu, but they can't grab, can't be grabbed, can't grab ledges, and are incapable of jumping.
-"Air-based" characters, ones that are light, and can fly for long periods of time [about twenty seconds per flight], but their UpBs [for most of them, there are some obvious exceptions] aren't recoveries and they must "recharge" their "fly power", like how ROB works in Brawl, but more pronounced. (longer fly times, longer recharging times, Pit, Meta-Knight, Kirby, DeDeDe, Charizard, Ridley, Jigglypuff, and ROB would be moved to this template, changing their flight abilities somewhat)
-"Strategy-based" characters, ones who have a limited supply of any particular projectile, and use another by swapping with a taunt button or simply running out of something. If their final projectile store runs out, the special becomes useless for the rest of the MATCH, not just the stock. To counteract the amount of stocks in a specific match, the game would use a "stock multiplier" to give an appropriate number. For example, if the character has 3 of a particular item in a 3-stock match, they'll have 10 in a 10-stock match. (Link and Samus would be moved to this category, and would have new projectiles to choose from)
-"Percentage-based" characters, ones who's movesets radically change beyond a specific percentage. (Lucario would end up here (rather than him just having a power-boosting ability like in Brawl) but would have different standard moves when heavily damaged, and a different side B, with Bone Rush being used in low percentages while Force Palm is used on higher percentages)

Thoughts?
Personally, I would look at other fighters to see how their characters work as some of them have really distinct, indepth styles. I wouldn't even think of everything in terms of templates. I would think of a character and think what would suit them best. IE.

Link - A tool-based character who specializes in mid-range ground combat and countering air attacks. Has to use all of his tools effectively in order to defeat the opponent.
Krystal - A rushdown character with some pokes. Specializes in dealing pressure on the opponent so be careful as she can break your shield.
Jigglypuff - The queen of the air. Specializes in juggling her opponents in the air.
Mario - The all around character. Has a little bit of everything. Good in all areas, but he can be outdone by those who exceed him in certain areas.

Although, I would really like to see a zoning character. Snake was something like this with his mines, but I'm thinking of something on a larger scale. Think of Dhalsim but more range.

Big-Cat

Challenge accepted.
NNID
KumaOso
3DS FC
1590-4853-0104
Gourmet Race is the best thing ever, this is not. Kirby has only ever had one good tune.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=67MPxnPHBNk

@Uber Mario
I'm going to go ahead and comment on your new character types.

I'm not sure if that's broken or just plain screwy.
20 seconds is way too much. Besides, I think the game would be changed more than adding new mechanics in would.
Seems to complicating things. To be honest, we could have had different specials available if the SSB series wasn't stuck with two attack buttons. Anyway, I think there's a better way of handling this.

Again, if we had more than two attack buttons, we wouldn't have a need for this. Besides, you're basically asking players to switch to a completely different playstyle in an unintuitive manner.

Reapereater

Smash Cadet
I think there should be a feature in which you can pick 2 (or depending on the stock) characters in all.
Ex- In a 4 stock match, one player could pick Luigi to play for 2 stocks, and mario for 2 stocks.

I believe that would allow a lot of strategy when fighting other players. This is just like in pokemon where you customize your own team. There can't be any player assists from your team due to lucky shots. I believe this also allows the possibility for team final smashes depending on your teammates.

zssmikes

Smash Rookie
for the new game (if there was one) i would love lara croft and midna and maybe wolf link to be characters with a few naruto people thrown in but also joint attacks for team play or joint smashes. and a costume creator would be nice.

ToiseOfChoice

Smash Ace
GX story Pt. 3.

Really?
Meaning if you're gonna suggest a new F-Zero character, pick someone that's not Falcon.

On that note, Ryu Suzaku/Rick Wheeler/Disney's The Kid would work well as a Falcon alt character but I assume he violates the video game origin rule. Or the "nobody cares" rule, whatever's good.

Gourmet Race is the best thing ever, this is not. Kirby has only ever had one good tune.
What's with people throwing away valuable Toise Tokens by saying ******** things? Don't you guys know they can be exchanged for cool prizes?

ryuu seika

Smash Master
Living Armor for the win.

Better than most, I'll grant you that, but it's still not Gourmet Race.

What's with people throwing away valuable Toise Tokens by saying ******** things? Don't you guys know they can be exchanged for cool prizes?
Free speech > Prizes.

Wait what?! That doesn't sound right...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom