• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

[Official SSB4 Discussion] --- Nintendo announces 2 new Smash games!

Status
Not open for further replies.

SmashChu

Banned via Warnings
And also you never addressed the possibility that Toad has as likely a chance to be a clone as Bowser Jr. does. Look at Luigi's moveset, and tell me anything in there that wouldn't apply to Toad. Toad used fireballs in NSMBWii, as well as basically preformed a jump punch. The Luigi Cyclone and Green Missle are also just as easy to copy over, and heck, even Negative Zone is. Most of Luigi's regular moves also would work out perfectly with Toad.
Wait, what?

How could Toad be a clone? Luigi is a clone because Mario and him are brothers and played the same in the Mario games save Luigi could jump higher and had crap traction (like in Smash). It makes sense for them to be similar becuase there isn't too much different between them. Toad(s) have always been different them Mario and Luigi and have their own traits. It wouldn't make much sense for them to be a clone.

Clone are clones because it makes sense that they have similar moves. Fox and Falco use the same technology and probably train with each other. they should have some similarities. Lucas and Ness are similar as they are practically the same character in two different games.

inb4 Ganondorf.

Pieman0920

Smash Master
I really really really hate my internet right now.

Anyways, don't think of brotherly relation like Mario & Luigi in this, but rather similar fighting styles, like Fox & Falco. In all of the games that Toad has been in, he has used the exact same moves as the Mario brothers. Mario may be a bit of a stretch here, but Luigi's moveset works out perfectly, as there is nothing that Toad can't do there, and quite a few things that he's already done. Thus it makes sense that they would have similar moves, because Toad has never used moves that weren't theirs.

augustoflores

Smash Hero
NNID
augustoflores
3DS FC
4828-5782-2252
Switch FC
SW-2867-0942-2202
follow along... regards to your minds of deciding the best for the future of smash...

you people still haven't agreed and you never will. it is all based on personality where one side favors little things irrelevant but contradictory in the end to the other side's little things. your minds are not going to accept the idea of whatever unless the higher ups (i.e. sakurai, the emperor(in theory), god(in theory)) have stated ottherwise, then almost all will see the other side (the others are just too ignorant and/or too hard @$$ed to accept)

i am guessing that i have lost all of you with my statement. (another thing that i am expecting is someone saying one of the following: ur ********, you don't know what you are talking about, and (actually not caring and posting their own post which is actually for the best)

DISCLAIMER:
i am a psychopath

Shorts

Zef Side
Premium
3DS FC
3136-6583-3704
So, Ive been doing some super smash bros math for the last half an hour, searching for patterns in number of franchises in each game, number of characters in each game, and which franchises get how many characters. Now, instead of ignorantly posting my work thru using the wii, does anyone care to see it?

Its not easy to type with a wii mote :/ so im not gonna waste time unless someone wants to see it.

@Augustoflores, Humans in general dont agree. We never have, everyone was raised different, everyone has had different experiences. And me and my brother have been raised together, and share similar experiences, yet we still cant agree on stupid things like which cereal to buy. Genes play a role in your preferences to things as well, thats why scientists fear that the tendency to be racist is effected our genetic make-up as much as our enviorment.
Just because we dont agree on everything, doesnt mean we dont enjoy each others random banter :)

Starphoenix

How Long Have I Been Asleep?
NNID
GalaxyPhoenix
3DS FC
2122-6914-9465
So, Ive been doing some super smash bros math for the last half an hour, searching for patterns in number of franchises in each game, number of characters in each game, and which franchises get how many characters. Now, instead of ignorantly posting my work thru using the wii, does anyone care to see it?

Its not easy to type with a wii mote :/ so im not gonna waste time unless someone wants to see it.
Sure.

Right now I am on a Dragon Quest kick after finding out SquareEnix is porting Dragon Quest Monsters Road Battle to the Wii! The version being ported is the latest installment with some upgrades (one of which is Nintendo Wifi Connection) and a new title. The game is essentially Dissidia Dragon Quest. lol

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=htwnIC-IZ0o

SmashChu

Banned via Warnings
I really really really hate my internet right now.

Anyways, don't think of brotherly relation like Mario & Luigi in this, but rather similar fighting styles, like Fox & Falco. In all of the games that Toad has been in, he has used the exact same moves as the Mario brothers. Mario may be a bit of a stretch here, but Luigi's moveset works out perfectly, as there is nothing that Toad can't do there, and quite a few things that he's already done. Thus it makes sense that they would have similar moves, because Toad has never used moves that weren't theirs.
Peach has also used moves like the Mario Bros in Super Mario Bros 2. Means she can be a Mario clone right?

I don't see how Toad as a clone makes any sense outside the fact he was playable in New Super Mario Bros Wii. He has been in his own game where he acts differently, and in games with other Mario characters he does similar things like the rest of the cast does (Super Mario Bros 2, Mario Kart game). The other thing is Toad doesn't have the same body type as Mario and Luigi. It's close, but not the same, and it wont be the same if he is in Smash Brothers. Heck, the whole reason Ganondorf is a clone is because he has the same body type. And still, Toad has enough to differentiate himself from other characters.

In Brawl, there were only three clones added: Wolf, Lucas and Toon Link (who was a spiritual successor to Young Link anyway). They don't add clones because it's easy. They do so because it makes sense for that character to be a clone.

Arcadenik

Smash Legend
NNID
Arcadenik
Ugh, my internet has been really acting up on me.

Anyways, in regards to Meowth, its still just a rumor that he'd be in Smash 64, and as it stands, there is no proof that he was ever planned to be playable. The fact that he was a Pokeball pokemon while Mewtwo, a confirmed planned character, probably indicates that Meowth was never planned. Heck, it makes no sense that they would have planned four Pokemon for that first game.

In regards to Toad, I still can't see his neutral special being the ice ball, since that's really not a signature move of his. Its like if Yoshi got his freeze breath from Yoshi's Island as his neutral special or something. Also running up the walls like that makes no sense. For one you assume that chain grabs will occur in Smash 4, and secondly, you assume that somehow he can get out of it, as to run up the wall, but disregard the very nature of a chain grab.

And also you never addressed the possibility that Toad has as likely a chance to be a clone as Bowser Jr. does. Look at Luigi's moveset, and tell me anything in there that wouldn't apply to Toad. Toad used fireballs in NSMBWii, as well as basically preformed a jump punch. The Luigi Cyclone and Green Missle are also just as easy to copy over, and heck, even Negative Zone is. Most of Luigi's regular moves also would work out perfectly with Toad.
Rumor or not, I always wanted Meowth in Smash for a long time. Also, why wouldn't it make sense to plan four Pokemon in SSB64? We got four Marioverse characters in SSB64 - it doesn't matter if Donkey Kong and Yoshi had their own icons, they were closely tied to the Mario series and still are to this day.

Peach and Pit were rumored to be playable in SSB64 and they are now playable. So why is Meowth so special that the rumor cannot be possibly true when it apparently was true for Peach and Pit? Meowth was even the only one of the original Pokeball Pokemon who was removed from Melee and came back to Brawl due to fan demand.

Mario and Luigi use fireballs before the Ice Flower was invented. Mario throws red fireballs that bounce on the floor twice because they are based on the red fireballs in the Mario Bros. arcade. Luigi throws green fireballs that don't bounce on the floor because they are based on the green fireballs in the Mario Bros. arcade. So, even if Toad gets a cloned B move, I think it would make sense for him to throw white fireballs (they are really iceballs) that bounce on the floor once AND freeze enemies because they are based on the iceballs in New Super Mario Bros. Wii. It is kinda like how Sakurai gave Lucas Ness's PK Flash and turned it into PK Freeze. Similar but different moves.

As for the Jump Punch move, there is a possibility that Toad could perform that move like the Mario Bros. I just liked the Propeller Mushroom move better for several reasons. One, it would be broken if it was an item and gave everyone the ability to propel. Two, I think it would work better as a recovery move that is a bit cloned from Peach's Parasol as Toad and Peach have a close relationship. Three, wouldn't it make sense for Toad to use a mushroom for at least one of his specials since he is a Mushroom Retainer? Four, the problem with Luigi Cyclone? That could be cloned as a "stall-then-fall" move where Toad drills through the air to the ground after using the Propeller Mushroom, kinda like how Mr. Game & Watch can stab with the key after parachuting.

Clone the Green Missile and Negative Zone moves for Toad, WTF?

Oh, and the Vegetable isn't really Peach's signature move because she only used it in SMB2 and even then, it wasn't her own special ability because the Mario Bros. and Toad can do the same thing. But I see Peach pulling out vegetables in Smash games. I think that should debunk your notion that Toad cannot have iceballs and vegetables because they aren't Toad's signature moves. Also, PK Freeze and PK Flash aren't Lucas's and Ness's signature moves so... :psycho:

For me, I think it is ideal for Toad to have a moveset that are mixed from different Marioverse characters instead of copying everything from one character (the definition of a clone).

B - Iceball (similar to Mario's Fireball, only they bounce once and freeze enemies)

Side B - Toad Kart (similar to Wario's Wario Bike, only Toad can jump with the kart using the feather)

Up B - Propeller Mushroom (similar to Peach's Parasol, only Toad can stop floating by drilling through the air, which is similar to Luigi's Luigi Cyclone)

Down B - Vegetable (similar to Peach's Vegetable, only Toad pulls out bigger vegetables)

Final Smash - not sure but no freaking way is it going to be another Negative Zone! :mad: I would rather see Sakurai make up something mushroom-related like turning everyone into immobile mushrooms by spraying spores everywhere like the mushroom enemies did in Super Mario RPG.

Grab/Carry - similar to Donkey Kong's forward throw

Headbutts - similar to Yoshi's forward smash and aerial smash

Cowardly punches - similar to Luigi's running attack where he punches by swinging his arms

Ground pound - similar to Yoshi's down special, only he uses it for his aerial down (Toads can ground pound in NSMBWii, right?)

By now, I bet you are seething with rage over the overuse of the word "similar" and thinking "...clone...clone...clone..." :chuckle: I assure you, Toad is not a clone because he wouldn't have a whole moveset entirely based off Mario alone or Peach alone or anyone in particular.

By the way, Ike is a clone of Kirby because he has the same up special move Kirby uses and he is a clone of Pikachu because his side special is very similar to Pikachu's side special and he is a clone of Marth because their down special moves are the same and he clearly replaced Roy because his B move is too similar to Roy's B move. :psycho:

Oh, and Shortie? I think the number is around 44-48 for SSB4. Think about it.... 12 characters in SSB64 (12x1=12), 25/26 characters in SSBM (12x 2=24, 24+2=26), 35/39 characters in SSBB (12x3=36, 36+3=39), so maybe for SSB4 will be around 44-48 (12x4=48, give or take). That was my theory, but since I am Arcadenik the Illogical One, it was disregarded. :ohwell:

Shorts

Zef Side
Premium
3DS FC
3136-6583-3704
Okay, just so you know I did do A LOT of math. I would back up my findings by showing all the math I did, if I had a computer, so until mine comes, youll have to just trust me! :) Ill repost all the math when i get my computer.

okay! soo after all was said and done, i took all the patterns throught the three games and came up with some legit findings.
The number of franchises increases with each game by counting odd. ssb64 had 10 franchises, and ssbm had 13. the difference between them is three. the difference between ssbm and ssbb is 5 (melee had 13, brawl had 18) So by strictly looking for a pattern i can guess ssb4 will add 7 more franchises. 3, 5, 7, counting by odds was that pattern.
So 25 franchises is my guess, 18 returning, 7 being added.

Kay, now the next part is what is too hard to explian over wii, but ill try.

SSB64 had 10 franchises, and 12 characters. So subtract # of characters by # of franchises you get the extra characters. Now by extra characters i mean the ones that arent soley repping a franchise. So the two extras in ssb64 are jigglypuff and luigi. The pkmn and mario franchises have 2 characters repping them. Get what i mean by extra character? if they arent the only ones repping a franchise like pit is, then theyre an extra.

So i subtracted the # of chars by the # of franchises in each game to find how many extra characters there were.

SSB64 had 2
SSBM had 12
SSBB had 19
So now i took the differences between the number of extra characters in each game. Ex: 64 has 2 extras, melee has 12 so the difference is 10.
the difference between ssbb & ssbm was 7.
So the pattern from here could go, 10, 7, 6 OR could go 10, 7, 10 for all we know.

So i took the # of franchises i estimated would be in ssb4 earlier and added the # of extra characters i estimated would be in ssb4.

25 franchises (all being repped by one character) + 25-29 extra characters equals 50-54 characters in SSB4!!

Now do you get where i got the # of characters and the # of franchises?

DekuBoy

Smash Lord
Awww. Poor 'Cadey. Don't worry I still support Toad.
Also: SUPER MARIO GALAXY 2 GETS BETTER EVERY DAY

Seriously we need a LOT of SMG representation in the next one.

Starphoenix

How Long Have I Been Asleep?
NNID
GalaxyPhoenix
3DS FC
2122-6914-9465
Seven more franchises huh?

Golden Sun
Punch Out
Sin and Punishment
Legendary Starfy
Last Story (it is being developed so as to be a series)
Megaman
Dragon Quest

:p

Shorts

Zef Side
Premium
3DS FC
3136-6583-3704
hehehe, my thoughts exactly! Minus Megaman and Add Bomberman :p

augustoflores

Smash Hero
NNID
augustoflores
3DS FC
4828-5782-2252
Switch FC
SW-2867-0942-2202
woahwoahwoahwoah!!! someone is against the blue bomber?
oh and arcade, pk flash is actually ness's move in earthbound (as well as lucas for flash but i dont care)

Pieman0920

Smash Master
@SmashChu-

Peach has used powers that did not belong to either of the Mario bros prior to Melee.

In any case, I'm not saying that Toad has to be a clone, but rather that, like Bowser Jr., he has a chance of it. Thus my problem was with Arc saying that he picked Toad because Bowser Jr. would probably be a clone, which is completely disregarding the fact that Toad only uses Mario and Luigi's moves.

And about the body types, I don't quite get what your problem with that is. You say Lucas and Wolf are clones, don't you? They only share final smashes and specials with the characters they are based off of, and still you call them clones. None of Luigi's moves are things Toad can't do. Thus while I may think that the stretchy limb stuff that goes around for Luigi and Mario can apply to Toad, and you may not agree with this, your definition of a clone is quite confusing to me since you don't seem to take that into account. Heck, Toon Link and regular Link have different body types too, don't they?

@Arc

The Mario series is bigger than Pokemon. So big that it can be represented by different series in certain regards. Maybe the Yoshi series is a bit of a stretch, but certainly not the Donkey Kong one. In any case, it is a stretch because the Mario series proper had a planned 3 and so did the Pokemon series. It was balanced out quite well. There's also still the issue of Mewtwo not showing up in a Pokeball, while Meowth did. We know for a fact that Sakurai planned Mewtwo for Smash 64, but he didn't show up in it at all. Meowth though did show up as a Pokeball, so if Meowth really was planned and got thrown in there as that, then why didn't Mewtwo get the same treatment?

In any case, the whole "Peach and Pit got in, so Meowth has a shot now too!" thing is a load of bull. I heard rumors of Wario being planned for Smash 64, but there were no grounds for them. Oh wait, he showed up in Brawl! The rumors must be true! The fact that Meowth got removed from Melee and then put back into Brawl is irrelivant in regards to him being a planned playable character. Heck, I'm half surprised you havn't tried to make a claim that he was planned for Melee and that's why he didn't have a pokeball in that game.

In regards to the Toad stuff, I still can't stress how bad an idea it is to make his neutral special the ice ball. Make it his side or down special or something. The neutral special is generally a signature attack (Pikachu, Mario, Link, Samus, Kirby, Olimar) or a move that generally something that is generally a variation of something that would be a signature move (DK, Zelda, Marth,Peach, Ice Climbers, Fox, Captain Falcon) The ice ball attack is just a random power up among several, and while it would fit in as something for a side or down special, it just doesn't work as a neutral.

Also I don't see how you think Negative Zone and especially Green Missle couldn't work on Toad. Both moves were pretty mcuh made up for Luigi from virtually nothing, and thus can easily be applied to other characters. While I suppose the Negative Zone is a bit extravagant, the Green Missle actually seems like a perfect fit for Toad, seeing as Toad's arms and legs don't seem suitable for combat.

Also no one liked Necrid in Soul Calibur 2. Think of that when trying to sell the idea that Toad would have a moveset like that.

EDIT: Oh yeah, Mega Man> Bomber Man. Always and forever. No questions need or asked.

ElPanandero

Smash Lord
NNID
ElPanandero
Are there any "logic" posts from Arcadenik that aren't horribly biased?

@Panera Bread: I don't know your stance on Ganon, but I was recently reminded of how awesome Phantom Ganon in OoT looked with a lance. He should use those more often. Actually everyone should use lances more often.
Oh hmm, Sell if it helps I am ShinoandtheBallonFighter...If you don't know his stance, I'd be happy to oblige.

Big-Cat

Challenge accepted.
NNID
KumaOso
3DS FC
1590-4853-0104
Seven more franchises huh?

Golden Sun
Punch Out
Sin and Punishment
Legendary Starfy
Last Story (it is being developed so as to be a series)
Megaman
Dragon Quest

:p
I'd go with this, but I consider the third party to separate. So, with this in mind, I think we can expect maybe Panel de Pon and maybe Muramasa no Nazo.

Anyway, I wouldn't even try to find to find patterns in character additions. This is all the assumption of this being intentional and not coincidental. You're better off finding scraps of code left over in the game. Speaking of which, apparently, these were found when people were hacking the game, gameplay wise:

• Ganondorf's moves were to be different, at least in properties (FAir was supposed to auto-cancel)
  • Different Final Smash for Falco (I think we figured this out when we "created" Longchu)
  • Snake's hitboxes were meant to be smaller to accommodate his size.
  • Infinites were to be removed
  • Tech Grabs were planned
  • Footstool jump was supposed to have more uses
  • Meta Knight's laser priority wasn't supposed to be there.
http://www.smashboards.com/showpost.php?p=8983191&postcount=13607

It would be a lot easier to predict changes to the current cast than to predict new additions to the cast.

Serph

Smash Journeyman
Since Dragon Quest has been mentioned a couple of times, I'd like to throw my support to the inclusion of a playable rep. Not many people talk about it, but considering its popularity in Japan it must be in contention.

Arcadenik

Smash Legend
NNID
Arcadenik
@ Pieman

Ivysaur (and the Bulbasaur line)'s signature move is Razor Leaf (or is it Vine Whip?), not Bullet Seed.

Zelda's signature move is Light Arrow, not Nayru's Love.

R.O.B.'s signature move is Gyro, not Robo Beam.

Lucas's signature move is PK Love (apparently since people kept saying he should have had this move), not PK Freeze.

Jigglypuff's signature move is Sing, not Rollout.

Wario's signature move is Dash Attack (smash side+A), not Chomp.

You can see that several characters don't have their signature moves as their neutral special moves so why does the idea of Toad getting iceballs for his neutral special gets your panties in a twist?

I have made claims in the past that Meowth could have been planned to be in Melee. ;)

Oh, and Toon Link and Link may have different body types but they are really two different incarnations of the same "Link" character. It is just like with Pikachu and Pichu, different body types but they are from the same evolutionary line. The "same body type" argument, I think, applies to Fox/Falco/Wolf, Mario/Luigi/Dr. Mario, Ness/Lucas, Marth/Roy, and Captain Falcon/Ganondorf. For Bowser Jr., I think he is clone material because he is basically a miniature Bowser - different body types but the same species.

Shorts

Zef Side
Premium
3DS FC
3136-6583-3704
Even though I understand this whole body types thing, isnt that just an excuse to make clones? Sure Pichu and Pikachu are on the same evo chain but Pichu knowing iron tail, attract, discharge, and bite is a moveset that varies greatly from pikachu's.

Fyi, bomberman64 > megaman Legends, any day no questions asked.

Serph

Smash Journeyman
  • Ganondorf's moves were to be different, at least in properties (FAir was supposed to auto-cancel)
It should be noted that it was supposed to auto-cancel from a double jump, which wouldn't actually have been that useful. But it does explain fair's weird landing lag.

Shorts

Zef Side
Premium
3DS FC
3136-6583-3704
And just remember, bomberman has been on every gaming system since the nes. You cant even say that about mario, let alone megaman.

Arcadenik

Smash Legend
NNID
Arcadenik
And just remember, bomberman has been on every gaming system since the nes. You cant even say that about mario, let alone megaman.
LOL WUT

But the focus of the Smash series isn't on third party gaming systems, it is on Nintendo systems.

Shorts

Zef Side
Premium
3DS FC
3136-6583-3704
LOL WUT

But the focus of the Smash series isn't on third party gaming systems, it is on Nintendo systems.
Pieman said, Megaman> Bomberman, no questions asked.
I was simply stating that the fact is bomberman is just as popular as megaman. He is also much more popular in japan than in america and thats where nintendo does their poles for character inclusion. The point is, dont count your chickens before they hatch, bomber man might suprise you!

SSSnake

Smash Journeyman
umm... new chars-
krystal (starfox)
peppy (starfox)
black shadow (f-zero, although hes not with us anymore)
klubba (Dk)
tom nook (animal crossing)

Pieman0920

Smash Master
@ Pieman

Ivysaur (and the Bulbasaur line)'s signature move is Razor Leaf (or is it Vine Whip?), not Bullet Seed.

Zelda's signature move is Light Arrow, not Nayru's Love.

R.O.B.'s signature move is Gyro, not Robo Beam.

Lucas's signature move is PK Love (apparently since people kept saying he should have had this move), not PK Freeze.

Jigglypuff's signature move is Sing, not Rollout.

Wario's signature move is Dash Attack (smash side+A), not Chomp.

You can see that several characters don't have their signature moves as their neutral special moves so why does the idea of Toad getting iceballs for his neutral special gets your panties in a twist?

I'd say Zelda and probably Lucas are exempt, because those are big ol' super attacks (at least I think Lucas' falls under this) and thus are automatically more suited to be Final Smashes. Other than that, the only thing I'd say is a real problem there are the two Pokemon ones (Wario's dash attack should have been a friggen dash. It was never a neutral B style move though. ROB's lasers are there because of how his character was revamped in SSE) Jigs and Ivysaur are weird though. Jigs would have probably made more sense if she kept Pound as the neutral, but they changed it to rollout for some reason. Ivysaur though is screwed up royal because Razor Leaf really should have been neutral. I can only assume that it wasn't though in order to remove redundancy with the PT's pokemon. Still, they aren't out of line like Toad with ice powers though. Really, it'd be better if you changed his neutral special to the veggie pull. =/

Anyways, my panties get twisted because it just isn't a good place to put it. Toad isn't a ice character. He doesn't use ice attacks. Its just a random power up you chose because its slightly different from most other exist Smash moves, despite the fact that it really isn't. You may as well give him tripple green shells as his neutral special, or the ability to fling Mario Party dice or something along those lines.

I have made claims in the past that Meowth could have been planned to be in Melee. ;)
:urg:

Oh, and Toon Link and Link may have different body types but they are really two different incarnations of the same "Link" character. It is just like with Pikachu and Pichu, different body types but they are from the same evolutionary line. The "same body type" argument, I think, applies to Fox/Falco/Wolf, Mario/Luigi/Dr. Mario, Ness/Lucas, Marth/Roy, and Captain Falcon/Ganondorf. For Bowser Jr., I think he is clone material because he is basically a miniature Bowser - different body types but the same species.
That doesn't change a thing about Toad being able to copy Luigi's moves. Clones with different body types have been done already, so they can be done again.

Arcadenik

Smash Legend
NNID
Arcadenik
I know what Pieman said. From what I see, Mega Man is more requested than Bomberman is. I suppose he could be included to make the Japanese fans happy while Mega Man could be added to make the Western fans happy. Personally, I wouldn't mind Bomberman but it is just that I like Mega Man more (but I want Simon Belmont more but people say no to him because Konami is only allowed to have one character and that is Snake, ironically, the same people who want more Sonic characters :rolleyes:).

Shorts

Zef Side
Premium
3DS FC
3136-6583-3704
I know what Pieman said. From what I see, Mega Man is more requested than Bomberman is. I suppose he could be included to make the Japanese fans happy while Mega Man could be added to make the Western fans happy. Personally, I wouldn't mind Bomberman but it is just that I like Mega Man more (but I want Simon Belmont more but people say no to him because Konami is only allowed to have one character and that is Snake, ironically, the same people who want more Sonic characters :rolleyes:).
I like Sonic and all the characters they invented but in NO way should Tails, Knuckles, Shadow or Eggman be put in SSB4. If sega did on the off chance put another character in i would hope it would be nights. And if Konami got another spot to fill i would hope it would be Goemon, from Goemons great adventure. Ive never played castlevania, but Simon seems like he would fit in as well as a goth at a Britney Spears concert. Smash and him just dont look like they would mix.

Do you think nintendo would boot snake from Smash?

Arcadenik

Smash Legend
NNID
Arcadenik
Oh, but I don't want to give Toad moves that are based on Mario Party games. :p Those kind of movesets are why people think Toad would be a lame fighter. :( I mean, dice blocks and a jet pack? I prefer for Toad to have a moveset that are mostly from Mario platform games (with the exception of the kart because Toad's Melee trophy mentions Toad's agile driving skills from the Mario Kart series).

Hmm, you know what? Maybe Toad's B could be like a charging move... Tap the button and Toad quickly pulls out a small vegetable but hold down the button and Toad will take two seconds to pull out a giant vegetable that is just as powerful as a Bonsly (this cannot be considered broken because the opponent has two seconds to stop Toad from pulling out a giant vegetable). The down special move could be Toad spinning and throwing iceballs in both directions (this spinning and throwing iceballs is inspired by Super Mario World where Fire Mario would do that with fireballs when you pressed the spin jump button). Happy now? :p

Arcadenik

Smash Legend
NNID
Arcadenik
Oh, I do wish that Snake would be removed. He is the only Smash character who is so distant from the Nintendo landscape. His series is closely affliated with Sony, not Nintendo. At least Sonic and Mega Man are more affliated with Nintendo than Snake is. And I think Kojima made Metal Gear Solid: The Twin Snakes (a GCN remake of the PS1 game) just so he can make sure Snake meets the rules Sakurai made for third party characters. You know, the one where it says a third party character should have a game on a Nintendo system at least ONCE to be considered a spot on the Smash roster. And I haven't seen any new Metal Gear games on Nintendo systems since then. :dizzy:

Also, I hate what Konami did to Simon Belmont. He looked awesome and manly on the NES and SNES. Why did they have to turn him into a ginger emo anime guy? He looked better in Castlevania Judgement but still... at least Simon Belmont is usually on Nintendo Castlevania games more often than on other non-Nintendo Castlevania games. :ohwell: But he is practically the mascot of the series, he is kinda like the Marth of the Castlevania series because he is the original protagonist and the most recurring protagonist.

Now, this is the original Simon Belmont as he appeared on the NES and SNES. He looks so awesome and tough. Even that whip looks like a freaking mace!

Shorts

Zef Side
Premium
3DS FC
3136-6583-3704
Right, rocket launchers and realistic grenades arent exactly nintendos "thing" Asides from Goemon's great adventure I havent played any other konami games. I played a demo for castlevania once, if im not mistaken, is their one for ds? im not sure. But even Simon looks visually more smash esk. He has that hint of anime appeal like Loz characters and FE characters. Snake looks like a thirty year old guy who refuses to shave. snake, mario and kirby shouldnt go in the same sentence.

Asides from Konami and SEGA, im expecting the other third parties to be from either: Square-Enix, Namco, Capcom or Hudson Soft. All of which have cool candidates for smash.

Arcadenik

Smash Legend
NNID
Arcadenik
There are three Castlevania games for the DS. I have one called Order of Ecclesia. One is called Portrait of Ruin and the other is called Dawn of Sorrow. I prefer old-school Castlevania games so I am more excited over Blood of Rondo (VC) and Castlevania Rebirth (WiiWare).

Thirdkoopa

Administrator
Administrator
Writing Team
Somewhere on Discord while working on something
I'm not even replying until you guys for starters stop with the long posts and movesets and be more direct and understanding. However, I can in the meantime inject a post of my own :D

I also need to go revive back stage discussion. I've been rather busy.

Are there any "logic" posts from Arcadenik that aren't horribly biased?
Nope. Not at all! :'D

You should know this by now.

You guys want to change something? Please stop saying "We should stop arguing altogether" because that would make this thread redundant. What do we do then? "I think this song would be cool" "I think this would be to" "Yeah cars are nice"

The real problem with the common arguments spawned from this thread is that a majority of the time instead of thinking from any other viewpoint Pieman and Arcadenik have a horrible habit of inducing a ton of long posts that lead up to being for starters, a longer headache. The only way to get out of it is if someone changes the topic or if I come in and make a 10 page long post.

See, there's no point in arguing/discussing if you guys aren't going to at least try to look at things from another viewpoint. It doesn't have to be 100% agreement or anything but jeez. It never ends sometimes with this thread which ends up leading to a common chain of the same things. In a summary:
"zomg reps"
"zomg more reps"
"zomg gameplay changes"
"zomg other stuff"

They're also officially the new SmashChu, Kuma, and Toise. Why? I said so.

Awww. Poor 'Cadey. Don't worry I still support Toad.
Also: SUPER MARIO GALAXY 2 GETS BETTER EVERY DAY
Pieman and Arcadenik get no sympathy from me until we step out of this Pieman cycle. It was inevitable for me to bring up

ElPanandero

Smash Lord
NNID
ElPanandero
If we didn't stand by our overzealous desires and argue them to hell and back, then there would be no point to this thread. Instead of the silly list it'd be:

"Zomg reps"
"I disagree"
"Oh Ok"

then there'd be nothing to argue over. Arguing is what makes this thread fun and worthwhile. If I gave in every time told me Ganon should have a sword, what would be the poitn in even having an opinion on it?

Big-Cat

Challenge accepted.
NNID
KumaOso
3DS FC
1590-4853-0104
They're also officially the new SmashChu, Kuma, and Toise. Why? I said so.
I feel guilty now. At least I'm trying to think of my gameplay changes so it's easy to learn, hard to master overall like Melee.

As for stages, I'd like to see some based of of these locations:

Thorntail Hollow (Starfox Adventures)
Phendera Drifts (Metroid Prime)
Rosalina's Observatory (Super Mario Galaxy)

I still support that idea from a while back for the Paper Mario stage.

Shorts

Zef Side
Premium
3DS FC
3136-6583-3704
I think what thirdkoopa means is you can debate, but dont take it to the extreme point to where you have your mouth wide open and your ears shut. Just look at things from different point of views.

And here are my stage ideas as well:
Pokeearth (one famous spot from each Pokemon reigon, works like delfino plaza)
Rainbow Road (Mario Kart Wii)
Spirit train (Loz spirit tracks)

And if they create a Paper Mario stage, base it of of the original, or TYD.

Thirdkoopa

Administrator
Administrator
Writing Team
Somewhere on Discord while working on something
Arguing is what makes this thread fun and worthwhile.
What's the point of arguing if both people aren't even going to bother to think things from a different viewpoint? Entertainment?

There is your answer to everything you said. I'm fine with debates. Long debates are fine to as long as the actual text matches up well. Debates that last on for five pages over the exact same topic that we reached a verdict probably 19 times now with long posts that end up having very little point is what bothers me.

I feel guilty now.
Not trying to there. Come to think of it at least your drive with discussion was far more interesting and actually gave something worthwhile when we rebooted it up at times.

edit:

And yes I completely agree to making the stage from Paper Mario TTYD or the original. TTYD should be the Palace of Shadows. Easily.

SmashChu

Banned via Warnings
@SmashChu-

Peach has used powers that did not belong to either of the Mario bros prior to Melee.
And Toad has unique abilities from Wario Woods.

I feel guilty now. At least I'm trying to think of my gameplay changes so it's easy to learn, hard to master overall like Melee.
I think that's the problem.

Games are not designed to be "Easy to learn, hard to master." They are designed to be assessable. Most of the largest competitive games were designed as easy games where the games that tried to be competitive usually die out. Starcraft was an easy RTS but it is more play then any of the competitive RTS released at the time. Street Fighter is designed to be competitive, but it is overshadowed by Tekken and Smash Brothers. Both of the latter games are at MLG but not the former one.

UberMario

Smash Master
Should fighters get out of the "cookie-cutter" attack button setup?

I know there are several characters that could use more than eight ground attacks, but less specials, or more than four specials, but less attacks. (Like new potential characters)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom