• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

[Official SSB4 Discussion] --- Nintendo announces 2 new Smash games!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hero Dude

Smash Journeyman
Just don't cut anybody's head off, Toise.

Don't bring Tingle back up! I didn't realize it then, but doing so means starting war!

So: Duck Hunt dog. Anybody got a moveset? Can you make a good guesstimate of his chances?

Hero Dude

Smash Journeyman
No. That would be Sora.
I can say about 18%, but I am too lazy to support it. support my idea. Thats why I asked all of you, who are willing to type ginormus posts.

BBQTV

Smash Master
sora has a better chance of being in and who cares?lets just ****get the dam dog and act like it never happened

Hero Dude

Smash Journeyman
No he doesn't. LOL its funny that you would say something as far fetched as that. If you don't want to talk about the dog, then don't. Don't post, or change the subject. Being that other people seem to be posting their thoughts, your spam is just getting in the way. Don't.

Arcadenik, your profile says you are replying, but its been saying that for a hour.
But as I am saying, he is very memorable. While he isn't likely, he would be a good WTF character.
Anybody know who developed Duck Hunt?

BBQTV

Smash Master
im sure a number of others feel the same

and why do you care about this stupid dog

Hero Dude

Smash Journeyman
Becouse I am actually good at Duck Hunt. I missed maybe 5 Ducks the whole game.
But he would be a great character. Why do you hate him?
You've got to give him a chance. Kinda like Tingle.
All he does is laugh. He represents one of Nintendo's most original games.
He would be much better than ROB or Ice Climbers.

Arcadenik

Smash Legend
NNID
Arcadenik
Well, I know the dog's chances are not very high. Unless Nintendo pulls a Punch-Out and revives Duck Hunt for the Wii (no, not Wii Play) and the dog is in the game, then his chances might be raised a little. That, or if they pull a R.O.B. and add the dog as an unlockable character in a Mario spin-off game. At least we know Duck Hunt is the only retro game that outsold Kid Icarus, Ice Climber, Balloon Fight, Clu Clu Land, Gyromite, Stack-Up, Pro Wrestling, Urban Champion, Wild Gunman, and Punch-Out combined (at least according to VGChartz). That's how successful Duck Hunt was back in the day and the reason why Duck Hunt is synonymous with the NES, along with Super Mario Bros., R.O.B. (the peripheral, not his games), and the NES Zapper peripheral today. Still, the dog's chances are not very good at this point.

For fun, I came up with a moveset for the dog. It is heavily inspired by Duck Hunt, of course. You remember how, in the beginning of each round the dog would sniff around before he starts barking and jumps into the grass? That is his entrance right there! Instead of grass, the dog jumps into the bush. Why? Because that bush just happens to be his camoflague (a good hunter uses camoflague). It is something similar to how Wile E. Coyote would hide behind the bush and the bush would appear to have feet. It would make sense since the Duck Hunt Dog is a cartoon dog and a hunting dog.

What is unique about the Duck Hunt Dog is that he does not fight directly for most of his moves. Staying true to the original game, the hunter does the most of the fighting for him. How does that work? Remember how in the original game, the dog would hide behind the grass and the hunter would try to shoot ducks. That is his smash moves and B move! This scenario translated into smash moves would have the dog pointing at a direction as if he is telling the hunter where to shoot. The hunter from the fourth wall shoots at the spot where the dog is pointing at. It would look almost like the dog has magic but it is not the case. It might resemble something like Lucas's down and up smash moves.

There was an Easter egg in the original Duck Hunt where the second controller could control the duck's flight. Take this Easter egg and merge it with the scenario I mentioned above and we got his B move. Simply press the B button and the dog would hide behind the bush and then a duck would fly out of the bush. While holding down the button, you can control the duck's flight with the Control Stick. It would work similarly to Ness's PK Thunder, except when you release the button the hunter shoots the duck down. So, releasing the button would result in a small explosion similar to Zelda's Din's Fire. This has a Pitfall effect when the opponent is caught in the center of the blast so this move is best used against characters who are trying to recover. This is to emulate the original game when as soon the ducks are shot, they fall straight down.

There was a mode called Clay Shooting in the original game. That could be translated into the dog's side B move. The dog pulls out a clay pigeon from the bush and throws it like how Toon Link throws his boomerang - the difference is that the frisbee does not return to the dog and it shatters upon impact. The throwing motion could be something similar to how the characters throw the Trophy Stand in Brawl. The dog would look like he is attempting discus throw like he is in the Olympics. The best analogy I could think of for this move is Charizard's Rock Smash, only it is a long-range projectile and weaker.

His up B move have to be Fly Away. The dog pulls out two ducks from the bush and he holds onto their necks and they fly straight up together. This move would be similar to R.O.B.'s up B and he can do this move twice. The first time would make the dog fly away very high. The second time would make the dog lose a duck and he does not fly as high as he used to. There is a downside to this move. If the dog flies away, he leaves his bush behind. Without the bush, the dog cannot use smash moves, aerial moves, and special moves. He would be as powerful as Olimar is without his Pikmin. So you would need to make sure the dog has his bush when he is falling - you never know if you need the ducks.

How do the dog get the bush back? That's what his down B is for! All the dog has to do is to stand next to the bush and press down B, and he jumps into the bush and he is ready to fight again. It is the same way with Wario's Bike. If the bush is destroyed when the dog was flying away, the dog can easily make the bush appear out of thin air - just like Wario's Bike.

His Final Smash has to be the NES game itself. The dog hides behind the bush and then 8-bit grass and trees appear on the screen much like Peach's Final Smash. A bunch of 8-bit ducks fly out of the 8-bit grass. A pair of crosshairs appears on the screen and you start shooting around just like Snake's Final Smash. You are given three shots and they are all just as powerful as the Dragoon (it is a Final Smash, it is supposed to be broken). Try to get a clear shot because the 8-bit ducks are really making it difficult for you to shoot the opponents. Shoot a duck, the 8-bit dog appears and holds the duck while smiling. Shoot a character, the 8-bit dog appears and laughs because, technically, you missed the duck.

The dog's pose when he loses the match has to be based on Vs. Duck Hunt. It is where the dog appears to be walking with crutches and he is wearing a cast on one of his legs. His face is all black as if he was caught in an explosion and his expression looks like he is shocked that he was finally shot! Instead of clapping for the victor, he appears to be butthurt and shakes his fist at the victor while holding one of the crutches.

The dog's poses when he wins the match are so easy. Pose #1 - he rises out of the grass and simply laughs at the screen (aiming at the players who lost the match). Pose #2 - he repeatedly jumps out of the grass and trying to catch the flying ducks. Pose #3 - ducks fly above the grass and one of them is shot down, the dog appears and holds the frowning duck.

The dog's taunt is so simple he doesn't even need three taunts. He simply faces the screen and laughs. That is exactly what he is best known for!

Hero Dude

Smash Journeyman
There is no way in HELL I am going to read all of that.

Just tell me what you where trying to say.

Oh, Arcadenik, I was talking to BBQTV.

I am not so sure about the bush idea though. Seems really creative.
But don't make it as important as you are saying it is.
Make it like Warios motorcycle, but with a differant effect.

Lets not forget he could also have lots of bites and scratches.
He could have a rolling type move, like yoshi does with the egg, and like jiggly does.
a Duck comes out and flies sideways, and he chases it across the screen.
The duck does some damage, but the dog does more.

Arcadenik

Smash Legend
NNID
Arcadenik

tl;dr much?

B: the duck flies out of the bush, the hunter shoots the duck down (this has the same effect as the thrown Pitfall item)

Side B: the dog throws the clay pigeon and it shatters upon impact

Up B: the dog flies away with two ducks but he leaves the bush behind

Down B: the dog jumps back into the bush (he needs it to use smash attacks and specials)

Final Smash: the hunter is given three shots and he shoots at the opponents from the screen

BBQTV

Smash Master
him being a great character is your opinion and if you think i hate him you havent seen nothing yet

this is what people think

http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/TheScrappy

http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/VideogameCrueltyPotential

though some people would want him in smash to beat the living **** out of him

Oh, Arcadenik, I was talking to BBQTV.
terms to know they apply to the dog

Hero Dude

Smash Journeyman
tl;dr much?

B: the duck flies out of the bush, the hunter shoots the duck down (this has the same effect as the thrown Pitfall item)

Side B: the dog throws the clay pigeon and it shatters upon impact

Up B: the dog flies away with two ducks but he leaves the bush behind

Down B: the dog jumps back into the bush (he needs it to use smash attacks and specials)

Final Smash: the hunter is given three shots and he shoots at the opponents from the screen
Lol, no, I was talking to BBQTV.

@ BBQTV: The hate thing is just over reaction. People hate him, but he is still very well known.

Arcadenik

Smash Legend
NNID
Arcadenik
Yeah, apparently some people seem to think that if Duck Hunt Dog and/or Tingle are playable in SSB4, the game would sell less than Captain Rainbow ever did. It is just silly. I overreacted when Sonic was playable but that didn't stop me from buying the game. I simply don't play as Sonic, only playing as him whenever I am bored. In fact, he is in the botton five on my Brawl records. Him, Snake, and the Star Fox trio. If some people don't want Duck Hunt Dog and/or Tingle, then don't play as them and just play as other characters. Simple as that!

Hero Dude

Smash Journeyman
I think that hate doesn't last forever. They hate him for a little while, then really don't care.
(Regardless of what they say.)
Also, I found out that Duck Hunt was supervised by Takehiro Izushi, and was produced by Gunpei Yokoi.
While I have no clue what this means, other people might.

Fatmanonice

Banned via Warnings
NNID
Fatmanonice
I think that hate doesn't last forever. They hate him for a little while, then really don't care.
(Regardless of what they say.)
Also, I found out that Duck Hunt was supervised by Takehiro Izushi, and was produced by Gunpei Yokoi.
While I have no clue what this means, other people might.
Not much if you're trying to get some big revelation out of it. Gunpei Yokoi's significance to Nintendo is well known. He invented the Game and Watch, Gameboy, and Virtual Boy and was credited for creating Metroid, Kid Icarus, Wario, Intelligent Systems, and some say he was a leading influence in the creation of Yoshi and Fire Emblem. He's also noted for being a mentor to Miyamoto and Iwata.

Arcadenik

Smash Legend
NNID
Arcadenik
Maybe not really.... but it is nice to know. There are other notable franchises Gunpei created like Puzzle League (Panel de Pon) and Famicom Wars (I think?) so Lip and Commanding Officer are some of the possibilities. I think the fact Duck Hunt was chosen by Nintendo to market the NES Zapper Light Gun back in the 1980's helped Duck Hunt become one of the best-remembered NES games of all time. Nintendo could have chosen Wild Gunman (it was the first Zapper game for the NES) but Nintendo apparently chose Duck Hunt over Wild Gunman to market the NES Zapper in North America - could it be because Duck Hunt was more popular than Wild Gunman in Japan? So, you could say Duck Hunt was to Wii Sports like Super Mario Bros. was to Super Mario Galaxy for the NES.

Again, I still think his chances are very low but I would love for the dog to be playable in SSB4. Still, the dog have my support all the way.

Mowrt620

Smash Journeyman
In a box filled with peas 300 feet below ground
No. That would be Sora.
I can say about 18%, but I am too lazy to support it. support my idea. Thats why I asked all of you, who are willing to type ginormus posts.
I think Sora AND the dog would be cool. And for all the dog haters, come on! Wheres your creativity? That giant moveset post was actually very cool, and would give a unique brawl experiance, like Olimar, maybe even more, i mean the bush is pretty cool. And I shun you for saying that Sora has 0% of a chance. Kingdom hearts was on the DS and the Gameboy Advance. Thats more than some other weird 3rd partys...

BBQTV

Smash Master
hate doesnt last forever?ha! you must not live on earth.well heres a little earth lesson you see their was this guy called hitler who did somethings some bad things and is hated to this day by many

[that may be an extreme but you cant say hate doesnt last forever]

Mowrt620

Smash Journeyman
hate doesnt last forever?ha! you must not live on earth.well heres a little earth lesson you see their was this guy called hitler who did somethings some bad things and is hated to this day by many

Who ever said anything about hate lasting forever, all I said is that people hate the dog...

Why all the Sora hate?
I never said I hate Sora, other people are saying he has 0% chance and he wouldn't be good, which is a pile O' crap.

EDIT: Srry 4 the double post

Arcadenik

Smash Legend
NNID
Arcadenik
LOL WUT

Okay, there is one thing the Duck Hunt dog have in common with Hitler. 6 million people. The difference? Hitler had them killed and the dog laughed at them. All you ever proved to me is that Godwin's Law really exists.

Thirdkoopa

Administrator
Administrator
Writing Team
Somewhere on Discord while working on something
Difference is, Falco is an important character to his series and was supported for Melee. The other 3 though, were not very popular at the time.( Heck, Roy didn't even exist in a Fire Emblem game at the time.)
That's the thing; Falco may have been rushed in melee but If he had no priority, he wouldn't have stayed in brawl.

The Dog is one of the most hated characters in gaming, so no, he shouldn't be playable. AT would be kinda funny though if they throw in the ducks too (kill ducks for some kind of bonus, fail and... yeah).

I don't know why people think we need a WTF character, assuming the definition of WTF is simply "really obscure character" and that's it. G&W and ROB would be better classified as "obscure character that in retrospect was totally a good idea;" they've got way more than initial shock value going for them.
One of the most hated characters in gaming? I think that's a bit too far; However I'd personally like a stage or AT Or something, because Duck Hunt is still important in nintendo's history.

And a WTF Character depends on how you view it - I feel It's a character you'd not expect but is oddly important to nintendo's history, besides, If every character is one we predict then It'd be pretty...Expected.

Yeah yeah, whatever makes you sleep at night.
FOURSIDE FOR STAGE PLEASE BE BRAWL AND MELEE MIXED GOOD ONLINE WO...

*Wakes up*

Yeah, apparently some people seem to think that if Duck Hunt Dog and/or Tingle are playable in SSB4, the game would sell less than Captain Rainbow ever did. It is just silly. I overreacted when Sonic was playable but that didn't stop me from buying the game. I simply don't play as Sonic, only playing as him whenever I am bored. In fact, he is in the botton five on my Brawl records. Him, Snake, and the Star Fox trio. If some people don't want Duck Hunt Dog and/or Tingle, then don't play as them and just play as other characters. Simple as that!
It's really not selling less copies; Toise and SmashChu really explained it well; The only thing tingle really stands on is the fact he'd be the next rep in LoZ (Well...Probably; We don't know how far sakurai goes after important characters, the only series that is truly done is Kirby), but with looking at his role in all games, It seems that he'd be under rupeeland anyways.

I actually think DH Dog is still a plausible suggestion as he's important and you never really expect it, but don't count on it.

BBQTV

Smash Master
LOL WUT

Okay, there is one thing the Duck Hunt dog have in common with Hitler. 6 million people. The difference? Hitler had them killed and the dog laughed at them. All you ever proved to me is that Godwin's Law really exists.
woooooooo boy this makes me lol [i did say it was extreme though] and yep godwin is right :laugh:

Hero Dude

Smash Journeyman

I have changed my oppinion of you entirely.
I am not going to say anything other than that you just compared the killer of millions of people, worldwide, to a video game character that laughs at people.
People hated hitler worldwide becouse he is the person who started war, and killed everyone.

Duck Hunt Dog laughed at you. Yeah.

People hate Duck Hunt Dog for a little while then either forget, or don't care.
I had the same reaction to him as I did to Tingle. I laughed back.
But I also got chills to see such a classic figure again. :dizzy:

Edit: Here's a pic fer all yu haterz

artifact

Smash Cadet
Ummm, what i want for ssb4??
#1 no more f****** clones!, its fine to have guys like wolf and falco and fox, but make them a lil more different. Ness/Lucas is the most pathetic attempt at decloning ive seen. Marth and Ike are almost identical if it wasnt for one of them to have a slightly more stylish hair style and a pimp-*** golden sword.

#2 kan we haz balance brawl?

#3 designe the game for the competitive community.

#4 As far as new characters go??? hmmm, all the guys we have now plus......
(1) Noxus or Sylux (metroid hunters)
(2) Knuckles or Tails (Sonic)
(3) Mewtwo (pokemon)
(4) Plusle and Minum (as a team like ice climbers) (pokemon)
(5) Midna (LoZ)
(6) Birdo (Yoshi)
I cant think of anymore i want at the moment

Mowrt620

Smash Journeyman
Well, the Dog from Duck Hunt, hate him or not, is important to Nintendo history. I guess he was kind of annoying, but he would be probably the most interesting character in the game if he made it in. With his bush moveset (someone posted it a page before this one, it was cool) the fourth wall shooter, he's a retro character (better than the ice climbers and pit ever were) and he's a dog, thats pretty cool! Open your eyes people!

Hero Dude

Smash Journeyman
@ Artifact: Super Smash Bros Melee would like a word with you.

But the dog has alot of moveset potential, afterall, he is a dog.
But I wouldn't like the hunter to do most of the work for him.
I like the clay pidgeon for B.
His side B could be throwing the duck in a spiral, like Olimars.
His down B could be like Mario's; he chases his tail.
Flying Duck for up B
His other attacks how you said for them to be.
Can someone do a MYM of him?

artifact

Smash Cadet
hmmmm, since were all making characters and move sets

--KANGASTAN--
From the pokemon series. Has a slow walking and dash speed but has amazing vertical jumps with medium falling speed. He is a heavy weight character with decent grab range. Has 1 mid air jump and a large shield that covers his whole body well.

Dash Attack- Runs and dives at opponent
Nuetral Attack- single punch
F-Tilt- Headbutt with short range
U-Tilt- an upwards headbutt
D-Tilt- crouches and slams hands on the ground, does damage on both sides of him.

F-Smash- Picks up one leg and kicks straight forward.
U-Smash- a spinning uppercut attack
D-Smash- spins on the ground and hits on both sides with his head or his tail

Neutral Air- a mid range punch
F-Air- a long range punch with long ending lag
B-Air- a strong back kick
U-Air- does a back flip and kicks straight up
D-Air- spins downward hitting with tail

Standard Special- a counter attack with slow start up lag but light damage and knock back

Side Special- thows her baby khangastan for medium damage and knockback(she cant use this attack until her baby has come back to her, if she losses her baby off the ledge she cant get him back untill she gets knocked out and starts again. When on the stage her baby automaticall gets up and runs back to her so she can use him again)

Up Special- a spinning diagonal attack with short-medium range

Down Special- when on the ground the move charges similar to donkey kong, but when used in the air it is a powerfull spike

Final Smash- Hyper Beam (similar to the many other beam moves in the game, high damage and knock back but the beam is pretty narrow)

Pieman0920

Smash Master
@ Artifact

Lucas was never decloned from Lucas, since that would mean Lucas was in Melee. Even so, their only simmilarities are in their specials, and in that case, only two are really close. They aren't clones. Marth and Ike only share one special.

Noxus/Sylux is a really bad choice when compared to Ridley. Heck, no other Metroid character besides Ridley really should get in, since no one else has a large enough role or enough fans. I guess Dark Samus is a possibility, but it seems like she would end up being a clone (I'm aware her abilities are different, but you know how this stuff goes) or maybe just a alt costume if those are in.

There shouldn't be a second Sonic character unless there's a second Metal Gear character. Still as their guest franchises they shouldn't have a second character anyways.

I'm not going to touch why I don't think Mewtwo's coming back, but Pluse and Minum lost their chance with Brawl. Midna is probably another case like Pluse and Minum where the only good time was this time.

Lastly Birdo isn't a Yoshi series character, and would show up under Mario.

Also, while you can edit it to make it go away, you misspelled Kangaskhan.

Oh yeah, and for this whole Duck Hunt dog thing, the character really makes no sense and shouldn't get in, imho.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom