• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

[Official SSB4 Discussion] --- Nintendo announces 2 new Smash games!

Status
Not open for further replies.

SirKibble

Smash Champion
At first, I was like :ohwell:

Then, I was still like :ohwell:

And now, I'm still like :ohwell:

With time, I may approach :urg:

koopa cape located at the end of rainbow road
I think that brawl (& even melee) has already established that popularity means nothing in ssb. Really, who wanted the ice climbers, pichu, dr. mario, rob, mr g&w, pit or even olimar or lucario(pretty much any 1st gen pokemon is more popular than him).

You also have to think that it would be much harder to make ridley a playable character than to do the same to any hunter. Yes ridley is far more popular, but the roster all comes down to sakurai or whoever makes the next game (brawl has done well, so sakurai will probably be back). If sakurai makes ssb4 then its almost certain he'll put in a couple chars that no one except him wanted. :dizzy:

~ rant over lol
actually a ton of people wanted olimar and lucario in brawl. I am actually a proud member of the pikmen a olimar support group from before the release of brawl (and even the announcement of olimar as a character).

Who thinks Mewtwo should come back? (But a lot better, of course)
*raises hand*

ON TOPIC:

Who thinks that falcon will be at least not bottom tier in ssb4?
*leaps out of seat to raise hand then prays to god this will come true*

Just a question, what do people think of Chibi-Robo in the next smash?

Knyaguy

Smash Lord
at first I was hoping he would make it in Brawl, but seeing Brawl the way it turned out, it really doesn't matter much but still Mewtwo should definetly
make a comeback with him getting at least a new move instead od confusion whick I really didn't like,
Yeah, for me I wouldn't mind if they just speed it up and make it so you don't need eye contact.
as well as bit buffed up with more weight (Armoreed Mewtwo alt.) other than that he's a good character who definetly deserves a spot back on a smash roster
That would be amazing

Epsiloh

Smash Rookie
I think that brawl (& even melee) has already established that popularity means nothing in ssb. Really, who wanted the ice climbers, pichu, dr. mario, rob, mr g&w, pit or even olimar or lucario(pretty much any 1st gen pokemon is more popular than him).

You also have to think that it would be much harder to make ridley a playable character than to do the same to any hunter. Yes ridley is far more popular, but the roster all comes down to sakurai or whoever makes the next game (brawl has done well, so sakurai will probably be back). If sakurai makes ssb4 then its almost certain he'll put in a couple chars that no one except him wanted. :dizzy:

~ rant over lol
To be honest i wanted both Lucario and Olimar to be in brawl and i do beleive there was a reason that G&W was originally included in melee though the popularity of such a character brought him back to brawl. You do have a point in the difficulty of making ridley a playable character but i really think that the other hunters are too minimally involved with the metroid series to make a place in the brawl fray. correct me if im wrong.

OmegaXXII

Fire Emblem Lord/ Trophy Hunter
If he was as powerful as he's supposed to be, his B attack would probably be Psybeam, essentially the same as Samus's Zero Laser.
sh...t, I guess his Psychic charge ball could be changed to this seeing that Lucario already has it, which I think would be the best thing ever to happen to Mewtwo if he were to get buffed up

Mario & Sonic Guy

Old rivalries live on!
NNID
TPitch5
3DS FC
5327-1637-5096
sh...t, I guess his Psychic charge ball could be changed to this seeing that Lucario already has it, which I think would be the best thing ever to happen to Mewtwo if he were to get buffed up
Regarding Mewtwo's new specials, side special could be Psycho Cut, while the down special is Safeguard. Shadow Ball and Teleport would stay.

For Mewtwo's Final Smash, Hyper Beam would probably be its attack.

Raging-Banebou

Smash Cadet
I might want Marina Liteyears and Snover in SSB4, but I'd also like to see Waluigi and Kat & Ana in SSB4 as well! Maybe Kat & Ana could play like Ice Climbers! :D

D

Deleted member

Since no one asked for a stage idea yet.......

Why not a Reggie Fils Stage? It would be awesome.

SirKibble

Smash Champion
I think I figured this whole Mii thing out. IF Miis were to be included in Smash Bros., what say they be like this? It's basically just a "create your own character" idea, and doesn't draw from things like Wii Sports or anything.

Before you can select "Mii" as your character, you must go into the "Smash Mii Creator" to transform your Mii into a playable Smash character.

First, you select the Mii. The body size and gender play a role in determining small changes in speed vs. power, but generally, Miis are pretty average in both.

Next, you are allowed to choose a weapon style for your Mii. You can make them a hand-to-hand kind of Mii, a sword-weilder, or whatever from the options. Yeah, things are about to get crazy.

Now, you're allowed to endow your Mii with powers. You're allowed to choose from all the styles of moves in the game, everything from Fire and Lightning to Darkness and Aura, if you so desire, but only one type of special power can be given to your character.

That's it. Your character's made. Based on their weapon and power, they'll become a unique character. Every combination has slightly different moves and uses. Yeah, I realize this is highly unlikely and may not even work, but I thought it was at least an interesting idea worth sharing.

Chief Mendez

Smash Master
Regarding Mewtwo's new specials, side special could be Psycho Cut, while the down special is Safeguard. Shadow Ball and Teleport would stay.

For Mewtwo's Final Smash, Hyper Beam would probably be its attack.
Hyper Beam's a better move for some random legendary in a Pokeball. I personally think the strongest psychic Pokemon should use the strongest psychic move as his FS, which would be Psycho Boost.

It'd basically slow everyone down, then fire three Snorlax-sized balls of energy into the air, which would fall randomly around the stage.

Also:

Chibi-Robo for the win.

P.S. Any regular poster want to give me a general summary of what's been covered over the past week or so? I've been busy, haven't had access to these here internets, and am too lazy to read a few pages of simple text blind, so...any cool ideas/thoughts/impressions, or have you all just been posting wishlists for the past ten pages? :dizzy:

CalebSitton

Smash Apprentice
if a ssb4 comes out i hope they add shadow and megaman maybe an official daisy? not just a alternate costume for peach. maybe have WAY better online capibilities that brawl couldn't provide. and maybe a character creation option? how bout deoxys as a playable character. enhance the graphics a bit. and maybe add metal sonic.

DtJ Hilt

Little Lizard
Viewtiful Joe ftw

oh, and paper mario would be awesome. If they were able to somehow make G&W playable then paper mario would be easy.

Rhubarbo

Smash Champion
Reggie Moveset I made, only specials though...:

Neutral B, Making Games: Reggie randomly pulls out a game from the famous inner pocket of his vest and throws it at the enemy.

Side B, Kicking ***: Reggie brings the foe close if they are in range (C.Falcon hump style) and kicks them in the read sending them flying.

Down B, Taking Names: The name of the targeted foe is sucked out of them (literally) and goes into Reggie. The foe takes damage, and Reggie's next down b will be a random attack from the taken name.

Up B, "Iwata kick's butt": You know how Iwata said he kicked Reggie's butt in Melee once? Well, for this move, Iwata comes out of nowhere to kick Reggie upwards to safety.
---

Anyways, SSB4 has to have the following characters:

-Elite Beat Agents (with Ouendan skin)! The skin chooses the audio that will play during their attacks (it is merely an audio difference though).

-9-Volt because his attacks can involve summoning classic 8-bit Nintendo minions...Maybe a third party 8-bit character can make a guest appearance...

-Andy from Advance Wars. Despite the new cast introduced in DoR, the original AW cast was indeed the most iconic, colorful, and appealing AW characters. Andy is the perfect rep from them. His moves can include purchasing and ordering units, setting up a turret, getting a lift from a copter, smashing foes with his wrench, and pulling off his Hyper Repair as a Final Smash.

-Isaac from Golden Sun. Definitely one of Nintendo's neglected series. If they get a new game and Isaac is the star, he'll definitely be in SSB4. His attacks would revolve around Psynergy, Djinn, some sword maneuvers, and an iconic summon for a Final Smash.

-Dr.Robotnik/Eggman...I know most people will flame me for this, but this guy is the most iconic character in the Sonic series next to the blue man himself. Sure Shadow is more popular, and Knuckles is better suited for combat, but neither of those would make for as cool of a character than the mech/punching glove/turret/pendulum wielding geriatric genius.

-Phoenix Wright...Take that! Objection! Hold it! Can you make a move set out of that??? If you can, you'll have the coolest character ever!

-Custom Robo: Gun, Pod, Bomb, Dash. That's four specials right there!

-Animal Crosser: Net w/bugs, shovel, axe, fishing pole, umbrella, sling shot, and furniture are all potenital weapons for the "peaceful" villager.

-Mewtwo...

-Bowser Jr.: I' wouldn't mind a Toon Link esque Bowser...maybe he can be a unique character?

Other ones that should be in that I can't comment on in detail due to the lack of knowledge are:
Ridley
Krystal

SmashChu

Banned via Warnings
Honestly, Chibi-Robo is a terrible choice. He does little fighting, has little room for a moveset and isn't popular.

WhoIsMrBlack

Smash Cadet
My biggest suggestion to make Smash Bros. better (and I don't have many suggestions to make it better) has always been - more versatility. You may now be thinking 'WTF Brawl has like, 35 playable characters or something xD' but...

I am speaking for all three SSB games. SSB is a GREAT, well I can't really justify it in words atm but it is a revolutionary fighting style game that is incredibly fun and I, personally, love it. For me, the ONLY thing that makes SSB boring is running out of different ways to play. The key to lastability in a game is giving it variety (clearly) and, more difficult to implement, player input. Athough SSB already has great variety and lastability... it could have WAY more. If the creators spent a lot more time creating more characters and (to a much lesser extent) items (I used to say stages too but their genius brought us a Stage Builder... so instead I'll settle for saying more Stage Building options) then the game would be that much more brilliant.

For SSB4, I say 50 characters+ at the bare minimum. And no clone characters, Toon Link is a bit too similar to Link for my comfort. Have 75-100 items if they can think of that many. Heaps of options in Stage Builder, it's understandable that it's kind of lacking atm because it's the first time, but SSB4 should have a much deeper Stage Builder INCLUDING special aspects like stage hazards (Tornado, Rising Lava etc...)
Make more options - make it possible to choose which Pokemon or Assist Trophies can come out.
And FFS, MAKE ONLINE BETTER. This goes for all games with Wi-Fi that I've played so far (Pokemon D/P, GH3, Mario Kart Wii, SSBB) but since this is a SSB forum I'll only talk about that. Online is the BEST way to have unlimited lastability, so exploit that aspect! Somehow remove the terrible lag that happens often, because in a game like this lag is disastrous. Give the players more choice in options - having to play 2 minute time matches all the time gets boring very quickly, especially because I don't really like 2 minute time matches anyway. Yes I know you can avoid this by using FCs but that takes quite some time, effort and luck, you can't just go on and battle someone.
All of those things I reckon would be an easy way to make the game so much better (it is already brilliant though)

*phew* got that off my chest.

BTW some suggestions for playable characters =D

King K. Rool
Banjo/Kazooie (if Nintendo are even allowed to now)
Deku/Goron/Zora
Megaman
Midna/Wolf Link
more F-Zero racers (seriously, how many do they have to choose from and they still only use one?)
more Pokemon if they're running out of ideas, plenty of options there...

DekuBoy

Smash Lord
'Honestly, Chibi-Robo is a terrible choice. He does little fighting, has little room for a moveset and isn't popular.'

What? I'm sure that lots of characters in Smash Bros aren't actual fighters, and Chibi has all sorts of cool items for fighting and popularity as an argument is stupid. Lots of characters aren't popular until they star in a Smash Bros game.

Raging-Banebou

Smash Cadet
I'd like the following characters to be playable.

Marina Liteyears
Snover
Waluigi
Geno
Hoenn Pokemon Trainer (Blaziken, Marshtomp and Treecko)
King Harkinan
Kat & Ana (should play like Ice Climbers)
Bowser Jr.
Bubblun
Miles "Tails" Prower
Malcolm/Reese/Dewey (Malcolm In The Middle)
Peter Griffin
Zero (Megaman X Series)
Mii
Stewie Griffin
Suguruu Kinniku
Edward Elric
Jimmy Hopkins
Poemi Watanabe
Morshu the Shopkeeper
Ryu (Street Fighter)
Lynn (Fire Emblem)
Etna (Disgaea)

So, what do you think?

ducky285

Smash Journeyman
A system of move canceling similar to chain comboing in most traditional fighting games would be great. It's basically taking the IASA concept and fine-tuning it so that you can quickly cancel one move into another easily. An added mechanic for reducing knockback on successfully chained moves would help make the combo work.

Moves would need to be buffered quickly for this to work. Full knockback would occur when the player doesn't continue the chain (either by screwing up or reaching the last possible movein the chain), making chain combos

One idea would be...

Jab > Jab (buffer an f-tilt during jab) > f-tilt (buffer an f-smash) > f-smash (with full knockback)

A good idea for a basic chain would be something like...

Jab to any tilt
Tilt to any other tilt (works once)
Tilt to corresponding smash

A full chain example

Jab > f-tilt > d-tilt > d-smash

Air chaining, I'm thinking...

N-air to any other aerial
F-air or b-air to vertical aerial
U-air or d-air to any horizontal aerial
Any aerial to n-air

Example:
n-air > f-air > u-air > n-air

B-chaining...

Any tilt to any special move
Any aerial to any special move
Any smash to UpB

I'm always one for character variety, so chaining might vary between character. Some may have extra chains, some may have fewer depending on balance issues and such. Chains require buffering and somewhat quick hands but I'm thinking hit confirming in chains would work well, making doing chains a skill that can be learned without a whole lot of difficulty.

Certain moves can also be jump-canceled, meaning you can interrupt a ground move's animation by simply jumping, allowing you to start an air combo if you can.

Any ideas or responses?

Aipom

Smash Journeyman
Hey people, about how many characters do you think are going to get in, realistically?
My guess is 50-58.

Chief Mendez

Smash Master
You have no idea how hard I laughed when I read this! Lol. I bet my whole family thinks I'm ********, just sitting at the computer, randomly laughing...
Hey, I do what I can. :chuckle:

CalebSitton said:
if a ssb4 comes out i hope they add shadow and megaman maybe an official daisy? not just a alternate costume for peach. maybe have WAY better online capibilities that brawl couldn't provide. and maybe a character creation option? how bout deoxys as a playable character. enhance the graphics a bit. and maybe add metal sonic.
Okay, stop asking for Shadow. I swear to God Almighty, the next person to mention him as a PC gets shank'd. Metal Sonic probably not, but only because Tails is the obvious choice.

Daisy's already in the game, get over it.

-Hilt- said:
Viewtiful Joe ftw
Quoted for complete truth.

Rhubarbo said:
-Elite Beat Agents (with Ouendan skin)! The skin chooses the audio that will play during their attacks (it is merely an audio difference though).
I'd really love it if they got in at all, but if I was to reach for the stars, I'd really love to see them as a 3-person Ice Climbers-esque character. Except that the two inactive fighters cheer on the active one from the background (i.e. they're not in the way), and they rotate in and out whenever a special is used.

-Dr. Robotnik/Eggman...I know most people will flame me for this, but this guy is the most iconic character in the Sonic series next to the blue man himself. Sure Shadow is more popular, and Knuckles is better suited for combat, but neither of those would make for as cool of a character than the mech/punching glove/turret/pendulum wielding geriatric genius.[/QUOTE]Tails goes first. That's just the way it goes. We got Mario and Luigi, DK and Diddy, Fox and Falco, Ness and Lucas, and so on. In other words, we almost always get the "sidekick" character before the villain.

-Phoenix Wright...Take that! Objection! Hold it! Can you make a move set out of that??? If you can, you'll have the coolest character ever!
Phoenix
Brawl
- For -

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

- STATS AND OTHER STUFF -

STRENGTH: His hits deal a medium amount of damage. Think green (Luigi) on this one.
DEFENSE: At 20%, he starts losing his ground upon strong hits. At 40%, he's flying without recovery for a bit. Something like Mario.
SPEED: At full run, Nick clocks in just below Sheik.
JUMP: Jump height is just between Link and Samus.
GRIP: Nick turns at the same speed as Marth.
WEIGHT: Nick is not a fastfaller, and has about the same flight distance:damage ratio as Samus.

Symbol: Nick's attorney badge.

Kirby Hat: Kirby dons a Phoenix wig!

Alternate Costumes:
1 - Phoenix's normal blue suit.
2 - Miles Edgeworth's regal red outfit.
3 - Nick's white musician outfit. (Seen on the cover of the "Gyakuten Saiban meets Orchestra" music CD)
4 - Pre-attorney Phoenix form GS3, the one with the pink sweater and face-mask.

Item: Luminol Spray - Reveals any and all cloaked enemies, covers the area around motion-sensor bombs with a white mist, and generally makes hiddent things (new items that haven't been revealed yet) not hidden anymore.

Taunt : Nick nervously chuckles, one hand on his hip, the other behind his head. See below. (Of course, it's only one run through.)

Winning Scene1: Nick adjusts his tie, then smiles and gives a quick nod toward the camera with one hand on his hip.
Winning Scene2: (Coming Today)

- "A" ATTACKS -

A - Nick punches straight ahead with his left fist, which can lead into...
AA - Another straight punch, this time with Nick's right. Links to...
AAA - A semi-spin with a right leg kick. You know the drill...
AAAA - Nick turns all the way around, ending his spin with a diagonal heel drop from his left leg...just kidding. He's not THAT athletic. He ends his combo with a spinning, full-palm slap!

Side A - Nick whips his briefcase in front of him, starting high and ending low.
Up A - Nick punches skyward, hopping about a foot off of the ground.
Down A - Nick trips over nothing, coming down hard in front of him. With good timing, this can go right into a shield roll.

Dash A - Nick crow-hops a few feet while winding up a punch, then jams it straight ahead into the foes gut.

- SMASH ATTACKS -

Side Smash - Nick grips his briefcase tightly in both hands, and baseball-swings it in front of him. A hit sends paper flying everywhere (just for effect).
Up Smash - More briefcase shenanigans ensue when Nick arcs the thing overhead, sending recipients diagonally downwards in front of him, sort of like Fox's Up Smash from behind.
Down Smash - A solid stomp in front of him. A full-charge yields a 3-stomp combo.

- AERIALS -​

Neutral Air - A horizontal spin, akin to Peach's Nair, only with Nick's briefcase. Paper will fly.
Forward Air - A punting kick, with slight lag for the wind-up. Acts like an upwards spike/meteor.
Backward Air - Nick spins around once in midair, briefcase leading.
Upward Air - The backflip kick. However, if Nick uses this, he ends up losing recovery, and crashes to the ground. Good timing can once again lead to a sheild roll.
Downward Air - The double-stomp, although it acts more like Sheik's than C. Falcon's (i.e. not a one-hit range).

- GRABS -​

Grab - Reaches out with both arms. The "bear hug" method.
Running Grab - Same as above, only with stopping lag.
Grab Attack - A knee to the, ahem, "lower body".

Forward Throw - A sidearm pitch using both arms.
Backward Throw - OH YEAH, THE WRIGHT-STYLE SUPLEX!
Upward Throw - A simple upwards toss, a la Mario.
Downward Throw - Nick drops the foe to the floor, then follows up with a devastating two-hit heel stomp combination.

- SPECIALS -​

B: Objection! - The finger of truth is wielded! If the finger lands right in the middle of an enemy, a nice "homerun" effect and HUGE knockback results. Like C. Falcon's knee, only cooler because it's Phoenix Wright. If you hit the sweet spot, expect a good 35-40% damage as well!
Side B: Witness Testimony - Nick glances over the witness' testimony, then with a quick shrug, flicks it away. If you've ever thrown cards, then you know how this sucker flies. A smashed version of this has Phoenix angrily reviewing the sheet, then whipping it away, dealing more damage, but with less range.
Up B: Flight of the Phoenix - (Note: I'm a bit shaky on this one, so any help would be appreciated) Nick flails wildly, clawing at the air and by some act of God, pulling himself heavenward. Damages like Luigi's dash.
Down B: Cross Examination - Phoenix mulls over his evidence (in paper form). Any attacks are met with a snappy counter, not damaging the foe, but leaving them stunned for a good 1 second, while Nick recovers immediately, ready to launch any attack.

BRAWL ATTACK: Turnabout! - Nick's determined visage flicks across the screen, and anyone unfortunate enough to be directly in front of him gets a face-full of finger. Phoenix moves around his opponent, quickly presenting piece after piece of contradicting evidence, sending objects and papers flying all over. When the dust settles, the enemy takes anywhere from 25-100% damage, based on how much % Nick has (get it? A turnabout?). No knockback, but huge damage.

END

ducky285 said:
A system of move canceling similar to chain comboing in most traditional fighting games would be great.
So in ther words, the idea here is that I could theoretically tap a button after I start up a Warlock Punch to make Ganon stop the move immediately, letting me do, say, his Ftilt instead. So, feinting to confuse opponents.

I actually wanted to see this in Brawl, but the more I think about it, the more I don't like it for Smash Bros. For one thing, it'd be pretty useless against CPUs. The mechanic is in most "traditional" fighting games, but those games are usually meant to be played by only two people. Secondly, in alot of situations, it's hard to see your character closely (e.g. anything more than two characters on a stage), due to the constantly-changing camera.

ducky285

Smash Journeyman
So in ther words, the idea here is that I could theoretically tap a button after I start up a Warlock Punch to make Ganon stop the move immediately, letting me do, say, his Ftilt instead. So, feinting to confuse opponents.

I actually wanted to see this in Brawl, but the more I think about it, the more I don't like it for Smash Bros. For one thing, it'd be pretty useless against CPUs. The mechanic is in most "traditional" fighting games, but those games are usually meant to be played by only two people. Secondly, in alot of situations, it's hard to see your character closely (e.g. anything more than two characters on a stage), due to the constantly-changing camera.
To the first part, no, ti wouldn't work like that. Like your basic chain combos, each aattack would land, then doing a subsequent attack will cancel the ending lag and allow you to continue comboing. Like the classic MvC2 example, LP > LK > MP > MK > HP > HK. All attacks land and their ending animations are canceled by the next move until the chain ends.

There are rules to chain combos. Only certain moves work with in chains and something like Ganon's punch wouldn't work. I said there should be exceptions and differences between characters and moves and all my proposed chains show the rules for what should and should not chain together. In my proposal, B moves don't cancel into other moves, but other moves can cancel into P moves. HOWEVER, canceling into a move does not remove the startup of the attack. Chaining into Ganon's punch may be possible, but would still be avoidable because of the slow startup. This would be an example of a move you don't don't need to program as a chainable move.

I do think certain moves should have a feint mechanic, if not to make accidental Ganon punches and other such slow moves a bit safer. Makoto's Hayate in 3S or Yamazaki's Snake Arm in CvS2 can be canceled by pressing any K button. Similar deal here, press shield or something to cancel Ganon's punch.

And to the second point, I was seriously thinking about creating two modes in the game, each with different engines. One (let's call it All Brawl or something dumb like that) is your basic, uncomplicated Free For all friendly game mode. The other would be the one-on-one competitive standard with a larger pool of advanced techniques and physics differences. It would be catered toward competitive players who prefer one-on-one matches with the added depth and combo potential many of us wanted for Brawl.

I also think this one-on-one style game mode would be interesting with a meter. I know you don't like the idea of having a meter for Smash, but I think it would add some depth to the game when only two people are playing. A few ideas I had...

- A three-stock meter system that increase as you deal damage. Empty attacking may work to build meter as well.
- Meter is saved between stocks.
- One stock allows for a power smash attack (essentially a stronger version of each of your characters three smashes)
- One stock allows for a power special
- Two stocks allows for a hitstun/momentum cancel (Call it a Flight Save or whatever). You get hit hard enough to get KOd? Use this to instantly save your skin. Another cancel of this type would require three stocks. The drawback is you can still be KO's and you can't feasibly do two of these in a row. You also lose meter stocks you could have used for power moves instead.
- Three stocks allows for a Final Smash

NKCell

Smash Cadet
And to the second point, I was seriously thinking about creating two modes in the game, each with different engines. One (let's call it All Brawl or something dumb like that) is your basic, uncomplicated Free For all friendly game mode. The other would be the one-on-one competitive standard with a larger pool of advanced techniques and physics differences. It would be catered toward competitive players who prefer one-on-one matches with the added depth and combo potential many of us wanted for Brawl.
Why bother splitting the game? Why not have the simplistic controls and maneuvers with the advanced techniques to be discovered? Ala, Melee. I'm assuming that you're splitting the two so that casuals can have their watered down fighting game while fighting enthusiasts can have a real fighting game. However, casuals and enthusiasts aren't liking to mix anyways and an enthusiast can always a) find other enthuasiasts or b) dumb down their play with casuals.

I just don't think we need an uncomplicated Free for All version. The (theoretical) beauty of smash should be that it's simple to learn, difficult to master.

Chief Mendez

Smash Master
To the first part, no, ti wouldn't work like that. Like your basic chain combos, each aattack would land, then doing a subsequent attack will cancel the ending lag and allow you to continue comboing. Like the classic MvC2 example, LP > LK > MP > MK > HP > HK. All attacks land and their ending animations are canceled by the next move until the chain ends.
Kayoay. I understand.

This is a bad idea. Well, it might be okay, but it's not going to happen.

"Many of us" refers to a terribly small clique of nerds who take what is quite a simple game to extreme levels of devotion. Which is fine and all, and if Smash Bros. didn't cost so much to make, and wasn't a huge cash-cow, Nintendo would have no reason not to appease that group.

But SSB4 will cost tons to make. And it has the potential to sell so much, that making a game that essentially insults the vast majority of players would be a great way to murder sales.

Finally, to wrap up my rebuttal, something NKCell said made me think of something:

fighting enthusiasts can have a real fighting game
This is true. If you want more depth, hardcore physics (I can't believe I just typed that), and difficult maneuvers, there's a huge subset of games in that category you can play. I do think SSB4 is in need of a bit of advancement in this field, but I don't think we need meters (in any mode), combo canceling, or other such mechanics.

Smash is a very unique action game. I'd really rather not see it become any more like a traditional fighting game, mostly because that isn't very conducive to multiplayer, which is easily Smash's strongest feature. Personally, I don't think any game can ever measure up to Virtua Fighter 5 in terms of 1P vs. 2P matches.

Except VF6, that is.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom