• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

[Official SSB4 Discussion] --- Nintendo announces 2 new Smash games!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Clownbot

Smash Lord
Or neither. You have to first to ask whether third party characters will come back. I think there is a good chance that they wont be in the next Smash.
Really? It seems like they have a even bigger chance of INCREASING in size. The 3rd Party train has already pulled out of the station; I don't think it plans on stopping any time soon.

Big-Cat

Challenge accepted.
NNID
KumaOso
3DS FC
1590-4853-0104
Regarding Banjo and Kazooie, I remember they were asked regarding them appearing in Smash. Surprisingly, it was danced around a bit, but it seems that Rare would like it to happen.

Who knows how likely it is to happen. Nintendo considers themselves to be in a different market. So, it could be allowed from one end.

http://www.facebook.com/topic.php?uid=37120418046&topic=6330

SOMERANDOMTRAINER

Smash Rookie
But seriously, do you guys think Eggman has a huge chance of getting in? Not to sound rude, but... it seems like a big stretch to me.
I think he has NO chance of getting in, this all just hypothetical.

As for who would come first, I would also have to say neither.

However, I do think that SSB4 will try to expand on 3rd parties...

SOMERANDOMTRAINER

Smash Rookie
Yeah. 3rd parties should only have one representative because otherwise, it makes the character lose their appeal.

So... um... I hate to change the topic again, but on the note of 3rd parties, what 2nd party characters would you like to see.

FIRST AND FOREMOST, with a new Golden Sun coming out THERE IS NO EXCUSE FOR ISAAC TO NOT BE IN (heck, I'll even take Isaac's descendant in the new Golden Sun.) I mean, seriously. A Psyenergy/Djinn moveset would be awesome. And, he'd have so many summons to choose from for his final smash! (Personally, I'd take Iris so I can send Sonic to the sun.)

I'd definitely like to see Agent J, Derik, and Morris team up as the Elite Beat Agents and use dance moves as attacks. (I'd take them as dancing characters over Jimmy T.)

Stafy (yes, not Starfy) should also be a character now with 5 games in Japan, and his debut in America.

Um... that's all the second parties I can really think of.

Spydr Enzo

Smash Ace
I'm pretty sure, 99.99999% positive that Banjo and Kazooie won't make it in the game as playable characters. There is a small chance of being represented as a Trophy or some Stickers, maybe (highly doubt it) even an assist trophy, although I still see a slim chance of that.

I love Banjo Kazooie, the first two were my favorite childhood games, but there's something about them being in Smash that just... doesn't seem right.

And about Sonic; Sakurai should stick with 1 rep. 1 rep per every Third party series. Sakurai considers Sonic and Snake as "guest appearances" anyway, and he obviously wants to focus more on mainstream titles. If there was a new Sonic rep however, it would be Knuckles. Knuckles is most worthy to be in a Smash game, although it seems unlikely.

If there were anymore third party series in the game, there would only be one more, and that would most likely be Megaman, due to popularity, his familiarity to gaming, and his vast collection of games.

Clownbot

Smash Lord
I'm pretty sure, 99.99999% positive that Banjo and Kazooie won't make it in the game as playable characters. There is a small chance of being represented as a Trophy or some Stickers, maybe (highly doubt it) even an assist trophy, although I still see a slim chance of that.

I love Banjo Kazooie, the first two were my favorite childhood games, but there's something about them being in Smash that just... doesn't seem right.
Wow, that's the best reason I've seen to not include someone.

I guess this means no Banjo-Kazooie in the next Smash.

And about Sonic; Sakurai should stick with 1 rep. 1 rep per every Third party series. Sakurai considers Sonic and Snake as "guest appearances" anyway, and he obviously wants to focus more on mainstream titles. If there was a new Sonic rep however, it would be Knuckles. Knuckles is most worthy to be in a Smash game, although it seems unlikely.

If there were anymore third party series in the game, there would only be one more, and that would most likely be Megaman, due to popularity, his familiarity to gaming, and his vast collection of games.
Or we could always cut Snake and/or Sonic to include more 3rd Party characters. :bee:

Pieman0920

Smash Master
If Little Mac counts as a second party character instead of a first party, then he's a good character to place you bets on. As I said earlier, he's pretty much the only character I see as being a "shoe-in" what with his revived retro status.

UberMario

Smash Master
Assuming smash balls come back in SSB4, each character should have 3-4 different final smashes
that make the user less predictable.
I.E. one instant KO attack, one transformation, one ultra projectile . . . .

Mario the Jumpman

Smash Ace
Assuming smash balls come back in SSB4, each character should have 3-4 different final smashes
that make the user less predictable.
I.E. one instant KO attack, one transformation, one ultra projectile . . . .
Way too much to handle. It seems cool, but it's too overwhelming for both the players and the developers. It's best to stick with only one Final Smash for each fighter.

UberMario

Smash Master
Way too much to handle. It seems cool, but it's too overwhelming for both the players and the developers. It's best to stick with only one Final Smash for each fighter.
I know, but I think that the caliber of the character models is great enough that they really don't have to rebuild them from scratch like they did with Melee and Brawl.
Unless you zoom really close, it's almost impossible to see the individual polygons.

Spydr Enzo

Smash Ace
Wow, that's the best reason I've seen to not include someone.

I guess this means no Banjo-Kazooie in the next Smash.

Or we could always cut Snake and/or Sonic to include more 3rd Party characters. :bee:
You don't have to be so sarcastic about it, I never even gave a reason, did you read the post? :ohwell:

I'm simply stating that I don't feel they belong in a Smash game. And I'm pretty positive that they won't be included. By the way, there are very good reasons that I and others have mentioned quite a few times and I don't want to say it again.

Lighten up... :ohwell:

Spydr Enzo

Smash Ace
Does the Punch-Out!! franchise need only one rep (which is Little Mac)?

By the way, here's my idea for Little Mac's FS: Giga Mac!

Also, maybe each character should get just two different Final Smashes.
If the Punch-Out!! franchise was represented, it would definitely only need one rep, any more would be a waste of space. The series isn't THAT popular or diverse.

And let's stick with one Final Smash, even two seems like a bit much, and for some characters, one Final Smash is even hard to come up with.

UberMario

Smash Master
If the Punch-Out!! franchise was represented, it would definitely only need one rep, any more would be a waste of space. The series isn't THAT popular or diverse.

And let's stick with one Final Smash, even two seems like a bit much, and for some characters, one Final Smash is even hard to come up with.

Most of the Final Smashes in Brawl were completely made up. I don't think that it's impossible for them to create enough. (Mario Finale, Palutena's Army, Negative Zone, and Aura Storm did not exist before Brawl, and made up Final Smashes out number FSs from other games at least 5 to 1.)

SmashChu

Banned via Warnings
Let me pose a question to you guys. Thinking on another Mario character, do you think Waluigi would be a good choice? It seems like a lot of people don't like him. Do you think people would want to play as him or have him in the game?

Clownbot

Smash Lord
You don't have to be so sarcastic about it, I never even gave a reason, did you read the post? :ohwell:

I'm simply stating that I don't feel they belong in a Smash game. And I'm pretty positive that they won't be included. By the way, there are very good reasons that I and others have mentioned quite a few times and I don't want to say it again.

Lighten up... :ohwell:
I apologize for the sarcasm.

There are many good reasons as to why they shouldn't be included, but they still have their chances.

Also, after Snake appeared in Brawl, I don't think there is such a thing as a character that "doesn't belong".

Let me pose a question to you guys. Thinking on another Mario character, do you think Waluigi would be a good choice? It seems like a lot of people don't like him. Do you think people would want to play as him or have him in the game?
He probably won't get in before Bowser Jr./Paper Mario/Toad, but I wouldn't mind him.

He probably would upset many if he got in, though.

Mario the Jumpman

Smash Ace
Waluigi seems okay, but a better choice would be Bowser Jr. who can transform into Shadow Mario and both could be given a non-clone moveset if Sakurai is given a "No Slacking Off" rule.

If I ran the creation of Smash Bros. 4, I wouldn't be doing the labor, I would be giving the orders, coming up with some ideas, getting Western opinion, putting characters like Krystal (Starfox) and Silver (Pokemon) into the playable roster, disallowing my staff to be lazy, putting in better Wi-Fi, and inviting pro Smash players to test out the game.

Edit: I forgot to mention that I would be doing the paper work, and when I said I wouldn't be doing the labor, I meant I wouldn't do anything requiring college, such as the circuitry. I would be doing some testing of the gameplay as well.

Knyaguy

Smash Lord
No, Waluigi would not be good choice in my opinion. It looks like Waluigi was only made to be a evil version of Luigi. I understand Wario is the evil mario but atleast he has games dedicated to him. Luigi plays second fiddle in the Mario games and his evil counterpart is just thrown in for filler.

Waluigi seems okay, but a better choice would be Bowser Jr. who can transform into Shadow Mario and both could be given a non-clone moveset if Sakurai is given a "No Slacking Off" rule.
I agree wholeheartedly.

If I ran the creation of Smash Bros. 4, I wouldn't be doing the labor, I would be giving the orders, coming up with some ideas, getting Western opinion, putting characters like Krystal (Starfox) and Silver (Pokemon) into the playable roster, disallowing my staff to be lazy, putting in better Wi-Fi, and inviting pro Smash players to test out the game.

Edit: I forgot to mention that I would be doing the paper work, and when I said I wouldn't be doing the labor, I meant I wouldn't do anything requiring college, such as the circuitry. I would be doing some testing of the gameplay as well.
I think we all would want to be running the creation of SSB4. Most of us probably think we can do better than what the team has done before. But in reality the job is probably harder than we would expect and we would do worse than the current team. The point of the matter is that we should leave the developing to the developers.

Tacel

Smash Lord
Does anyone else think King Boo should be added to Smash?
It would be hard but he could use his arms and tongue to fight.

Lovely

Smash Lord
♣ King Boo is not wanted more than Waluigi or Bowser Jr. Plus you have to be too creative with King Boo's movesets. ♥

Big-Cat

Challenge accepted.
NNID
KumaOso
3DS FC
1590-4853-0104
I'm highly against Waluigi since there are others such as Bowser Jr., Paper Mario, Toad, and Fawful as viable choices. Also, unlike Rosalina and Daisy, Waluigi has never appeared in a Mario platformer.

I just thought about this, but what do you think of this roster?

1. Mario
  2. Luigi
  3. Peach
  4. Bowser
  5. Bowser Jr.
  6. Wario
  7. Capt. Syrup
  8. Link
  9. Zelda/Sheik
  10. Ganondorf
  11. Toon Link
  12. Tingle
  13. Donkey Kong
  14. Diddy Kong
  15. K. Rool
  16. Fox
  17. Falco
  18. Krystal
  19. Samus/ZSS
  20. Ridley
  21. Dark Samus or Sylux or Character from Metroid Other M
  22. Yoshi
  23. Pikachu
  24. Jigglypuff
  25. Pokemon Trainer
  26. Mewtwo
  27. Latest Gen Pokemon
  28. Kirby
  29. Meta Knight
  30. King Dedede
  31. Ness
  32. Lucas
  33. Marth
  34. Ike
  35. New Fire Lord or Sheeda
  36. Saki
  37. Little Mac
  38. Isaac
  39. Tom Nook
  40. Pit
  41. Lip
  42. Starfy
  43. Ice Climbers
  44. Mr. Game and Watch
  45. Sukapon
  46. R.O.B.
  47. Snake
  48. Sonic
  49. Megaman
  50. Cloud or Lightning or the Warrior of Light (I think Nintendo may make an exception for SE.)

majora_787

Smash Hero
I would personally prefer Fawful or Bowser Jr. over Waluigi, myself.

EDIT: If this shows up in a weird way, it's not my fault. My computer is being glitchy, saying there are 1269 pages and not letting me leave 1267. So I dunno what's happening.

Tacel

Smash Lord
EDIT: If this shows up in a weird way, it's not my fault. My computer is being glitchy, saying there are 1269 pages and not letting me leave 1267. So I dunno what's happening.
That's what it says for me too.
I think it's just a glitch.

Mario the Jumpman

Smash Ace
King Boo would be best as a boss or an Assist Trophy. If you want a good idea for a new Mario rep, try Bowser Jr./Shadow Mario. If Sakurai does it right, Bowser Jr. would end up a great fighter and neither him nor his alter ego would be clones of Bowser and Mario, respectively. If the Mario series can only have four reps (not counting the DK, Yoshi, and Wario series), then I would like Nintendo to cut Peach in favor of Bowser's kid.

And I've been experiencing the page glitch just like you guys.

n88

Smash Lord
Peach beats Bowser Jr. There's no reason the Mario series could only have four reps. They had five in Melee. Rosalina could also be added potantially, as she has a very good chance of appearing in Galaxy 2 and is very popular right now. King Boo should be an AT and no more. He's funny, but not important enough to be playable.

People from the Mario series w/a chance (besides veterans) are:

Bowser Jr. (possibly some shadow Mario transformation)
Paper Mario
Rosalina
Fawful
Daisy
Waluigi

The first listed is best choice, second listed second best, etc.

Spydr Enzo

Smash Ace
MY OPINION ON THE MARIO SERIES is pretty much the same as everyone else's. Bowser Jr. (and possibly a Shadow Mario transformation) before anyone else. If Sakurai decides to drop the "4 reps per franchise" rule, than we will most certainly have Bowser Jr.

Here is a list from most likely to least likely:

Mario
Luigi
Peach
Bowser
Bowser Jr.
Toad (tied with Paper Mario)
Paper Mario (tied with Toad)
Dr. Mario
Rosalina

According to that list, Waluigi doesn't even have a chance.

And wover mentioned King Boo, I think he would be a better boss.

Knyaguy

Smash Lord
@KumaOso: Looks pretty good, the only thing I would change is Bowser Jr. I think he should be able to change to Shadow Mario. Everything else is rock solid.

n88

Smash Lord
MY OPINION ON THE MARIO SERIES is pretty much the same as everyone else's. Bowser Jr. (and possibly a Shadow Mario transformation) before anyone else. If Sakurai decides to drop the "4 reps per franchise" rule, than we will most certainly have Bowser Jr.

Here is a list from most likely to least likely:

Mario
Luigi
Peach
Bowser
Bowser Jr.
Toad (tied with Paper Mario)
Paper Mario (tied with Toad)
Dr. Mario
Rosalina

According to that list, Waluigi doesn't even have a chance.

And wover mentioned King Boo, I think he would be a better boss.
I was hoping for Dr. Mario to be an alternate costume for Mario, so I didn't put him on my list. Toad has an even worse chance than Waluigi. He should have a better one, but he doesn't. He'll get a boost from New Super Mario Bros Wii, but the Toads are now a generic race of NPCs. I didn't think King Boo was big enough to be a boss?

Also, where is this supposed "4 reps to a series" rule??? Mario had 5 in Melee. LoZ had 5 in Melee and Brawl, and Pokemon has 6 in Brawl. I count transformations as separate because Sakurai does.

UberMario

Smash Master
I hope that they continue the "tradition" of doing minor changes to all the characters movesets.

And Earthbound's reps should have more diversified movesets.

Ness:
B-PK Flash
>B-PK Fire
/\B-PSI Teleport (A cross between his entrance and Dimensional Cape)
\/B-PSI Magnet

Lucas:
B-PK Freeze
>B-PK Shieldoff (Kind of like Marth's shield breaker)
/\B-PK Thunder
\/B-PK Ground (Donkey Kong's Headbutt with longer range)

Ninten:
B-PK Hypnosis (Similar to Jigglypuff's Sing)
>B-PK Brainshock (Similar to Mewtwo's Disable)
/\B-4-D Slip (Teleport)
\/B-PK Powershield (Reflector)

Spydr Enzo

Smash Ace
I just thought about this, but what do you think of this roster?

1. Mario
  2. Luigi
  3. Peach
  4. Bowser
  5. Bowser Jr.
  6. Wario
  7. Capt. Syrup
  8. Link
  9. Zelda/Sheik
  10. Ganondorf
  11. Toon Link
  12. Tingle
  13. Donkey Kong
  14. Diddy Kong
  15. K. Rool
  16. Fox
  17. Falco
  18. Krystal
  19. Samus/ZSS
  20. Ridley
  21. Dark Samus or Sylux or Character from Metroid Other M
  22. Yoshi
  23. Pikachu
  24. Jigglypuff
  25. Pokemon Trainer
  26. Mewtwo
  27. Latest Gen Pokemon
  28. Kirby
  29. Meta Knight
  30. King Dedede
  31. Ness
  32. Lucas
  33. Marth
  34. Ike
  35. New Fire Lord or Sheeda
  36. Saki
  37. Little Mac
  38. Isaac
  39. Tom Nook
  40. Pit
  41. Lip
  42. Starfy
  43. Ice Climbers
  44. Mr. Game and Watch
  45. Sukapon
  46. R.O.B.
  47. Snake
  48. Sonic
  49. Megaman
  50. Cloud or Lightning or the Warrior of Light (I think Nintendo may make an exception for SE.)
-Mario series looks perfect.
-I personally don't think WarioWare needs another rep, but good choice.
-I would replace Tingle with another Toon rep, most likely Toon Zelda, because Sakurai has actually considered her before others. WWSD, "What would Sakurai do?" I alwasy ask myself that.
-Same thing with K. Rool, I would replace him with Dixie Kong becuase Sakurai has already tried to place her in two games.
-Starfox is good except... why no Wolf? :(
-No Ridley in Metroid, he's a better boss IMO.
-I'd replace Mewtwo with Lucario, he is more up to date.
-Lip, Sukapon & Tom Nook = assist trophies.

Other than those, the Roster looks pretty good and balanced.

Clownbot

Smash Lord
KumaOso's roster is brilliant. The only thing on it I have a HUGE problem with are the Square rep possibilities, but other than that, it's pretty good.

Spydr Enzo

Smash Ace
I was hoping for Dr. Mario to be an alternate costume for Mario, so I didn't put him on my list. Toad has an even worse chance than Waluigi. He should have a better one, but he doesn't. He'll get a boost from New Super Mario Bros Wii, but the Toads are now a generic race of NPCs. I didn't think King Boo was big enough to be a boss?

Also, where is this supposed "4 reps to a series" rule??? Mario had 5 in Melee. LoZ had 5 in Melee and Brawl, and Pokemon has 6 in Brawl. I count transformations as separate because Sakurai does.
The "4 reps per franchise" rule isn't a REAL rule, that's why I put it in quotes. This is just used to refer to the system in Brawl where the three main series (Mario, Zelda, Pokemon), main because they are basically most diverse and are Nintendo's main money-makers, have only 4 reps where it seems they could have had more.

This rule is what caused a four out of five of the cuts. In this case, we are considering Pokemon Trainer and Zelda/Shiek as one character, as they have a single space on the char. select screen.

-It affected the Mario series by causing Dr. Mario to be cut. He wouldn't have been if it weren't for the rule.
-Toon Link is becoming popular, and Young Link is out of date. Therefore, Toon Link replaced Young Link. But Shiek is out of date too, so they could have included Young Link, but they didn't because then there would have been 5 selections.
-Same thing with Pokemon. Mewtwo = out of date and Lucario is new generation, so one must be cut to save space, and Pichu was cut probably because Sakurai wanted him playable but Pichu took up one of the 4 spaces.

Understand?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom