• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

[Official SSB4 Discussion] --- Nintendo announces 2 new Smash games!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Heartz♥

Smash Legend
All this talk of my most wanted Smash character for more than eight years makes me want to post sprites of her again. I don't know why I stopped, maybe I was too afraid of the sig infractions without a sig... maybe it was because my ending theme on my last image was too big on post because they didn't mind the Lip ending sprite until I created another character that image was bigger. I think I might have the courage of posting her sprites as my ending post again without getting an infraction because it's counted as another sig.

I forgot you used to do that a lot. I loved that little flower sprite. ^_^

Shamanized

Smash Rookie
Kind of off topic from what is being discussed right now, but I suggest Primeape as a new Pokeball spawn. My idea is if you get Primeape, he just stands there doing nothing, but he will go into an uncontrollable rage and attempt to punch out and KO anyone who hits him, even if the person hit him by accident.

Steelia

Smash Champion
Well, everyone keeps seeing Lip as a character with nothing but block-based attacks. But they have to remember that she is a flower fairy, so she can have attacks that involve flowers and nature and what not. Her attacks do not have to be with Lip's Stick and Panels. She has her own power, while Dr. Mario didn't.
Precisely. THE best example to match this would have to be the Pokemon. Since when, in the games or out in the anime, have the crazy critters EVER pulled off moves not based off of... moves? In the movies, sure, but rarely in the anime itself do you ever see a trainer call out "SQUIRTLE Slap your opponent! Just do it! There's no name for that move, just do it!".
Mewtwo (in Melee) alone used a dozen attacks that haven't been introduced in the Pokemon games OR anime. But given Sakurai and company knew Mewtwo was a psychic mutant cat, they gave him -- what else? -- psychic-based attacks to reflect his nature.

In that sense, as Lip's a flower fairy, what better moves to give her than magic-flower-based attacks? Her moves don't need to appear in-game... She just needs enough rep, and Sakurai and company will take care of the rest. ;)

~Mewtwo and the others in the Fallen Five for Super Smash Bros. 4.
Some of the Forbidden Seven would be all right, too.
Lip's gettin' some rep.

drag0nscythe

Smash Master
I think Lip has no chance of being playable now. Mainly because of Captain Rainbow. That game took many old reps and made them into jokes and worthy of being only side characters. Because of that game, I think none of the characters that appeared have any chance of being playable and have all been demoted to AT status (except for Lil mac. This new punch out saved him.)

If another game from those series appears, then maybe they have a chance. Until then, I believe that the retro rep will be Lil mac.

Lovely

Smash Lord
♣ I love your sprites, use them again. :D ♥

I think Lip has no chance of being playable now. Mainly because of Captain Rainbow. That game took many old reps and made them into jokes and worthy of being only side characters. Because of that game, I think none of the characters that appeared have any chance of being playable and have all been demoted to AT status (except for Lil mac. This new punch out saved him.)

If another game from those series appears, then maybe they have a chance. Until then, I believe that the retro rep will be Lil mac.
♣ I see where your getting at, but your example is terrible, saying she's Japanese only and not seeing her in the rest of the Panel De Pon games would be a better example. And if the new Punch Out might higher a chance for Little Mac, why not make sure a new Panel De Pon that features Lip again comes out and higher her chances, the last on was Panel De Pon DS, she's only on one level. D; ♥

Heartz♥

Smash Legend
♥What Lovely said. It isn't like Panel de Pon is an obscure game. All thanks to Melee and Brawl, more people know about it, being a Japan-only game and all. I mean, look at Marth. Almost nobody knew who he was, or even heard of the Fire Emblem series. But because of he and Roy's debut in Melee, Fire Emblem games started releasing in America and other countries. I do not see why not with a puzzler character.♥

Hurray for text play. ^_^

drag0nscythe

Smash Master
♣ I love your sprites, use them again. :D ♥

♣ I see where your getting at, but your example is terrible, saying she's Japanese only and not seeing her in the rest of the Panel De Pon games would be a better example. And if the new Punch Out might higher a chance for Little Mac, why not make sure a new Panel De Pon that features Lip again comes out and higher her chances, the last on was Panel De Pon DS, she's only on one level. D; ♥
I thought I said that?
Anyway, I never said anything about Japan only. I am saying that she has been cast as a joke character now, along with Takamaru and others in that game. Her chances were pushed from playable to AT because of it.

Like I said, if a new game for her series comes out, she may get a chance again to be playable, but as it stands, I see Captain Rainbow having destroyed those chances.

Heartz♥

Smash Legend
There can only be two captains in a Smash game. lol jk.

I don't even know who Captain Rainbow is. Sounds queer, to be frank.

♥

drag0nscythe

Smash Master
i only have 1 character request. and that is Alucard from castlevania Symphony of the Night. he would be an amazing character.
I am torn here.

Konami has so many reps that would be great in Smash.

Besides Snake, we have

Castlevania
Simon
Alucard
Maria
Richter

Ganbare Goemon
Goemon
Ebisumaru
Sasuke
Yae

Other
Contra Dude
Frogger

payasofobia

Smash Champion
He attacks with a yo-yo, and he can transform back to his normal form. I can see him being different than the captain.

He has a timer when he transforms into captain rainbow, and when it runs out, he transforms back to his normal self. Obviously, CR would be stronger than his normal self.

PS.
He is actually manlier than the captain.

PPS.
Sanger Zombolt is manlier than both of them.

PPPS
Trombe is manlier than everything.

Heartz♥

Smash Legend
Also, he is actually manlier than the captain.
Not when the captain is wearing hot pink.

Well, I don't see why Captain Rainbow and Lip can't be in at the same time. I mean, obviously they generated a somewhat relationship. They can do what they did with Lucas and Ness in Subspace Emissary. Every time I think of R.O.B, I think that these other characters can get in quite easily.

Mythic02

Smash Journeyman
I say no to captain Rainbow. If we want retro characters, Little Mac is my first choice, closely followed up by Lip. They both beat Captain Rainbow.

I have to say I will really look forward to little Mac. What happens when you put a character into smash when they are actually supposed to fight. There aren't really any real fighting game characters in smash and it would be kind of interesting. Not to mention that punching would actually not be a generic move given to him.

Steelia

Smash Champion
♣ This character will be Little Mac's bad match up. ;p ♥

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qdmus-SSilw

♣ Super Spoiler from the newest Punch Out so beware. ♥
...LOL. Who would've guessed.

If Little Mac were to make it in the next Smash, I'd expect other Assist Trophified characters (such as Isaac) to be right there with him. They deserved as much... I could only imagine what Little Mac's Final Smash could be. (And it would be pretty neat if he also had a special Victory taunt for ^ said fighter, much like Wolf and Fox do to one another, and Gray Fox with Snake on the battlefield.)

~Mewtwo and the others in the Forgotten Five for Smash Bros. 4.
Some Assist Trophy-gone-Fighters would be sweet, too.

Heartz♥

Smash Legend
...LOL. Who would've guessed.

If Little Mac were to make it in the next Smash, I'd expect other Assist Trophified characters (such as Isaac) to be right there with him. They deserved as much... I could only imagine what Little Mac's Final Smash could be. (And it would be pretty neat if he also had a special Victory taunt for ^ said fighter, much like Wolf and Fox do to one another, and Gray Fox with Snake on the battlefield.)

~Mewtwo and the others in the Forgotten Five for Smash Bros. 4.
Some Assist Trophy-gone-Fighters would be sweet, too.
I can only see Saki Amamiya and Issac of the ATs becoming playable characters. They were actually wanted more than the others.

SirKibble

Smash Champion
I think among the ATs, an oft-forgotten character with potential to be playable is Ray. Despite Mk III being made so small in his AT, he could be sized up, or another model (Ray 01 comes to mind, but that may be bias on my part) could be used. Either way, Custom Robo is highly deserving of a playable character. AT just doesn't cut it, if you ask me. Likewise for Golden Sun.

Wizzerd

Smash Ace
I think among the ATs, an oft-forgotten character with potential to be playable is Ray. Despite Mk III being made so small in his AT, he could be sized up, or another model (Ray 01 comes to mind, but that may be bias on my part) could be used. Either way, Custom Robo is highly deserving of a playable character. AT just doesn't cut it, if you ask me. Likewise for Golden Sun.
Agreed. Ray MK III would be a great option, and there is a vast variety of Assist Trophy characters who deserve playability, like Isaac as you sort of said, and also Little Mac.

drag0nscythe, the problem with your argument is how little popularity Captain Rainbow had. Maybe some people would think of Lip as a washed-up character if they see her in that game, but how many people have even played Captain Rainbow? Ten million, not much. (Source) Lip is the best option to rep the puzzle games, and Dr. Mario could still be viable if Sakurai is willing to make the roster more then fifty characters.

sundayseclipse

Smash Journeyman
ray, issac, and little mac are the only ones that should transend to playable characters. maby advance wars
i think the wrecking crue would make a good assist trophy.
mike from star tropics should be put in. we have yet to mention him.

drag0nscythe

Smash Master
Could and may be playable in the next smash
Ray MkIII (Custom Robo)
Isaac (Golden Sun)
Lil mac (Punch out)

Maybe
Shadow (Sonic) - As a costume of sonic
Samurai Goroh - I think Black Shadow will make it in before him
Lyn (Fire Emblem) - We will get either Roy or a new rep before her. She just does not have a chance.
Saki Amamiya (Sin and Punishment) - He may be popular, but not well known. Also, others are more important than him.
Stafy (Legend of Stafy) - He has a chance because his game is coming to the US.
Waluigi (Mario) - After Bowser Jr., Paper mario and even Daisy, he really has no chance.

No chance
Infantry and Tanks (Nintendo wars)
Barbara (Daigassou)
Dr. Wright
Knuckle Joe (Kirby)
Devil
Andross (Star Fox)
Mr. Resetti (Animal Crossing)
Excitebike
Gray Fox (Metal Gear Solid)
Metroid (Metroid)
Tingle (Legend of Zelda)
Kat & Ana (Wario Ware)
Jeff (Earthbound)
Helirin (Kuru Kuru Kururin)
Jill (Drill Dozer)
Dog (Nintendogs)
Lakitu (Mario)
Hammer Bro (Mario)

That should be all of them. The top group I am certain have a chance to jumping to playable. They are all well known, popular and important in some way. The second group may have a chance, but it will be a fight between all of them. I honestly think Stafy will be the one to make it out of that list. The last list are either minor characters from series, typical enemies or characters that do not really deserve to be playable. They are either not popular enough or not very well known.

Well, that is my two cents.

Mythic02

Smash Journeyman
Waluigi has a better chance than daisy. Also, as much as we hate to admit, Tingle does have a very good chance. Infantry and tanks may be possible as part of a bigger Advance Wars character. Kat & Ana are one of the requested characters from Wario ware.

drag0nscythe

Smash Master
Waluigi has a better chance than daisy. Also, as much as we hate to admit, Tingle does have a very good chance. Infantry and tanks may be possible as part of a bigger Advance Wars character. Kat & Ana are one of the requested characters from Wario ware.
Waluigi may.
Tingle, no.
Infantry and Tanks as themselves, no. But in a moveset with Andy. Yes.
Wario series does not need another rep.

Wizzerd

Smash Ace
That's a good list, but I think Starfy should be bumped up to the top column and Tingle as well.

megajosh2

Smash Cadet
I read all 63 pages of this thread: http://www.sma
I'm sure that characters from this game are going to be leaving in the (propable) next one, but who do you think is gone? Of course it won't be any of the original SSB64 characters. I'd think R.O.B would be gone, maybe PT. There's no way they're taking Sonic or Snake out... Maybe Pit or something, I'm not sure. Who do you think would be leaving?

Starphoenix

How Long Have I Been Asleep?
NNID
GalaxyPhoenix
3DS FC
2122-6914-9465
The AT's with the best chance would be:

Ray MK?
Isaac
Lil Mac
Tingle
Saki
Starfy

Lil Mac has received Punch Out Wii, it should sell well which would increase his fanbase and could fill the retro spot for Smash 4. Ray has been a relatively known character that could really us another unique robot fighter, plus his stage would have wonderful techno music! Saki will also be receiving an update in his series with Sin and Punishment 2, I hear the main character in that game is actually Saki's son though, in which case his son might be more apt to achieve a roster spot. Starfy is finally seeing a game released overseas, he is large enough that with enough prodding, it could easily land him a spot. Isaac, what more is there to say, there really was no excuse for him not to be playable now. Lastly Tingle... I hate to say it (and I really do) his chances are really good due to Japan's adoration of this freakish green moron, the silver lining to him being included would be having a new punching bag to beat the stuffing out of.

I think these characters have the best shot of transcending roles similar to how some of the assist characters Marvel Vs. Capcom became playable in MvC2 (YAY Collosus!!!)

I'm sure that characters from this game are going to be leaving in the (propable) next one, but who do you think is gone? Of course it won't be any of the original SSB64 characters. I'd think R.O.B would be gone, maybe PT. There's no way they're taking Sonic or Snake out... Maybe Pit or something, I'm not sure. Who do you think would be leaving?
To be quite honest, I do not think anyone will be leaving, quite the opposite. Roy, Mewtwo, Dr. Mario, Pichu and Young Link could all be added back if done correctly, in reality only Mewtwo and Roy have the best chance of returning. But if I had to speculate on who could leave, I would say Lucario, maybe Falco or Wolf, and maybe Toon Link. Like I mentioned before, I do not think anyone will be leaving.

Steelia

Smash Champion
Kat and Ana? I hear more talk of Mona and Ashley (especially Ashley)... Rarely do I hear anyone speak of the Iga Clan duo.

Ray MkIII (Custom Robo)
Isaac (Golden Sun)
Lil mac (Punch out)

Maybe
Lyn (Fire Emblem) - We will get either Roy or a new rep before her. She just does not have a chance.
Saki Amamiya (Sin and Punishment) - He may be popular, but not well known. Also, others are more important than him.
Waluigi (Mario) - After Bowser Jr., Paper mario and even Daisy, he really has no chance.

No chance
Barbara (Daigassou)
Dr. Wright
Knuckle Joe (Kirby)
Devil
Andross (Star Fox)
Excitebike
Metroid (Metroid)
Tingle (Legend of Zelda)
Kat & Ana (Wario Ware)
Jeff (Earthbound)
Jill (Drill Dozer)
Dog (Nintendogs)
Lakitu (Mario)
Hammer Bro (Mario)
I could believe Isaac and Lil Mac, especially if Mac gets enough rep from Punch-Out!! Wii. Ray MK, I'm a little iffy... Then again, I'm just saying that as I know nothing of his series. He'd make for an interesting franchise addition, though, don't get me wrong. We're in need of a few more of those, standalone or otherwise.

Shadow, and possibly even Silver, I could see as future Sonic costumes... That'd be pretty sweet.
I agree that Black Shadow has a wee bit more of a chance getting into SSB4 than Samurai Goroh, as the roster's in need of some serious villain rep, but that's probably just me.
Lyndis would be awesome. She was one of my supported for Brawl... But, it's becoming more and more unlikely, especially if a new Fire Emblem is right around the corner.
Saki... He's an interesting one. He's one of those "Okay-he's-in-the-game-cool" kind of characters you probably wouldn't mind, but not be completely interested in. He has a chance, though. The Ice Climbers got in with little to no support, why not?
Stafy... We may need to see what kind of reception he garners from outside of Japan before we can speculate him getting into a future Smash title playable. (Though, I see he has a chance just because he looks rather similar to a certain pink puffball... Right, Jiggs?)
Out of nearly all Mario reps, Waluigi has one of the slimmest chances. He has a little bit of support, but nothing compared to the likes of Bowser Jr./Shadow Mario and Paper Mario. As for Daisy, she actually appeared in a Mario title that had a plot, whereas Waluigi has yet to make it into any title as a lead villain or character. (Wonder how Rosalina would fair?)

Lord Viper

SS Rank
NNID
LordViper
3DS FC
2363-5881-2519
Kat and Ana? I hear more talk of Mona and Ashley (especially Ashley).
I'm part of the one to blame for how Ashely got her shoutouts. Most people say it's because of the music updates, (that's part of the reason), but most of the supporters favor the Warioware and barley any Warioware characters got any rep but maybe two, (as what you said). But all that support cause many people to call me stupid and a pedophile at the end. x_x

Kat & Ana is over all more popular than Mona and Ashely in Warioware, but not on a lot of character support sites to be in Brawl however. But they over all fame did make them an Assist Trophy.

sundayseclipse

Smash Journeyman
Ray MkIII (Custom Robo)
Isaac (Golden Sun)
Lil mac (Punch out)

Maybe

No chance
Barbara (Daigassou)
Dr. Wright
Knuckle Joe (Kirby)
Devil
Andross (Star Fox)
Excitebike
Metroid (Metroid)
Tingle (Legend of Zelda)
Kat & Ana (Wario Ware)
Jeff (Earthbound)
Jill (Drill Dozer)
Dog (Nintendogs)
Lakitu (Mario)
Hammer Bro (Mario)

That should be all of them. The top group I am certain have a chance to jumping to playable. They are all well known, popular and important in some way. The second group may have a chance, but it will be a fight between all of them. I honestly think Stafy will be the one to make it out of that list. The last list are either minor characters from series, typical enemies or characters that do not really deserve to be playable. They are either not popular enough or not very well known.

Well, that is my two cents.
kudos to your list, its very reasonable and their AT spots could be filled in easily =)

tingle as much as i hate to say it is popular.....
but is not fighting material. remains as an AT

i could see shadow coming in but not silver. #1 sonic char wanted is knucks i beleive.

what new AT should be added
i think vatti or majorah mask skull kid should be put in. the one put in will be an AT and the other a character

SirKibble

Smash Champion
Problems with that list:

- If Shadow has a chance, so does Gray Fox. They're in exactly the same position. Personally, I don't see either joining Sonic and Snake in the next Smash, but I guess you're free to believe what you will.

- Lyn's time is past. Neither she nor Roy is going to be playable, unless by some random miracle. Marth, Ike, and a new FE lord will almost undoubtedly represent Fire Emblem in SSB4.

- Tingle belongs in at least the middle list, if not the top one.

Additionally, it's worth noting that the only reason the infantry and tanks from Nintendo/Famicom/Advance Wars are only on that bottom list because Sakurai's probably not bright enough to implement them with a functional moveset. They're well-known and deserving as much as Isaac or Ray.

n88

Smash Lord
The only characters who have a decent chance of leaving are: R.O.B., Snake, Sonic, and Falco or Wolf. I think we can look forward to seeing the entire Brawl cast in the future.

Of the ATs, Tingle is one of the most likely to ascend to playable status. America hates him, but Japan loves him, and Smash roster choices are clearly based on what Japan likes, as evidenced by characters from Mother and Fire Emblem, and Wolf.

sundayseclipse

Smash Journeyman
Problems with that list:

- If Shadow has a chance, so does Gray Fox. They're in exactly the same position. Personally, I don't see either joining Sonic and Snake in the next Smash, but I guess you're free to believe what you will.

- Lyn's time is past. Neither she nor Roy is going to be playable, unless by some random miracle. Marth, Ike, and a new FE lord will almost undoubtedly represent Fire Emblem in SSB4.

- Tingle belongs in at least the middle list, if not the top one.

Additionally, it's worth noting that the only reason the infantry and tanks from Nintendo/Famicom/Advance Wars are only on that bottom list because Sakurai's probably not bright enough to implement them with a functional moveset. They're well-known and deserving as much as Isaac or Ray.

thats insane. lyn is perfecly able to swords man characters arnt that big of a deal. plus shes strong and we need more woman

tingle is very popular but he cant fight and most people perfer him as an AT

SirKibble

Smash Champion
thats insane. lyn is perfecly able to swords man characters arnt that big of a deal. plus shes strong and we need more woman
Lyn isn't important to Fire Emblem anymore. Marth is the series first and most recurring protagonist. Ike is also a recurring protagonist. Roy was promotional. Lyn has nothing special going for her.

tingle is very popular but he cant fight and most people perfer him as an AT
Because, y'know, R.O.B. could fight before Smash, and the Ice Climbers did all sorts of crazy crap back in the day. Not to mention Mr. Game & Watch.

"Most people prefer him as an AT" is both a bold statement to make without a source, and one that has no bearing on what may or will actually happen. The cut Melee characters undoubtedly had a larger fanbase than the likes of someone like R.O.B., but guess who's in Brawl. Here's a hint: not the cut characters.

GwJ

Smash Hero
NNID
Baghul
I could even see Ike being replaced with the new FE lord rather than adding a third one.

e: That's harsh Kibble.

Lord Viper

SS Rank
NNID
LordViper
3DS FC
2363-5881-2519
I could even see Ike being replaced with the new FE lord rather than adding a third one.
Currently the most popular Fire Emblem Lord right now and has two Fire Emblem games to begin with?! I don't see him getting kicked out anytime soon. =P

sundayseclipse

Smash Journeyman
r.o.b. ice climbers and mr. game and watch, hmmm wernt all of them important to nintendo and have their own game in which they were the main character.
wait isnt tingle a middle aged ****** that thinks hes a fairy. if he was taken out of his game not even 1/4th of LOZ fans would be upset
who els isnt important to ninrendo, hmm jiggily isnt anymore pit wasnt ...must i continue.

dont get your pantys in a notch =) have a great day.

SirKibble

Smash Champion
r.o.b. ice climbers and mr. game and watch, hmmm wernt all of them important to nintendo and have their own game in which they were the main character.
wait isnt tingle a middle aged ****** that thinks hes a fairy. if he was taken out of his game not even 1/4th of LOZ fans would be upset
who els isnt important to ninrendo, hmm jiggily isnt anymore pit wasnt ...must i continue.

dont get your pantys in a notch =) have a great day.
You're changing the subject. You argued that Tingle couldn't fight. The characters I mentioned clearly demonstrate that characters who haven't fought are often capable of being given a working moveset. He's easily one of the most expected characters for a new LoZ representative, as well as one of the handful of Assist Trophies capable of reasonably being made into a playable character.

Jigglypuff has a lot more popularity in Japan than in the United States. Additionally, she was added to the roster at a time when she had quite a bit of popularity, even in the States. Her position on the roster now has as much to do with her Smash Bros. history as her Pokemon history. As for Pit, he falls in the same category as characters like the Ice Climbers, having a worthwhile history, but with the bonus of a rumor surrounding a new Kid Icarus game. Lyn is a part of a series that's still alive and kicking out new games and characters. That's the difference. If she was in, she'd be more than welcome to stay, like Jigglypuff, but since she's not, her chances are virtually none.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom