• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

[Official SSB4 Discussion] --- Nintendo announces 2 new Smash games!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mythic02

Smash Journeyman
@uncle sam: the next console is scheduled for release in 2012. Because of normal nintendo delays I'd say 2013. But 5 years though isn't as bad as melee's 9 years.

edit:I rechecked sources and most sites actually say 2010

UncleSam

Smash Master
but as for usable buttons lets see the GC controller had 2 control sticks and a D-pad and 7 buttons* The wiimote and nunchuck has 1 control stick and 1 D-pad and 6 buttons* and the Classic has 2 control sticks and a D-pad and 8 buttons so maybe Classic controller would work well if an extra move was added

*start/-and+/home don't count

EDIT: new console? just a graphics update check this: http://www.gamedaily.com/articles/news/new-nintendo-console-before-2010/?biz=1

Big-Cat

Challenge accepted.
NNID
KumaOso
3DS FC
1590-4853-0104
To me, I think he should screw the fans and make the game without any fan advice. But that's just my option.

Also, I believe the next Smash Bros should have at least one new button to use for some new moves, that would be cool, but that's my option again.
I think he should do a mix of both. He'll use fan input to put in characters and whatnot that will make people happy, and he'll use his own ideas to make the expectations not completely predictable.

UncleSam

Smash Master
I think he should do a mix of both. He'll use fan input to put in characters and whatnot that will make people happy, and he'll use his own ideas to make the expectations not completely predictable.
or he could think about what the people want and make the final decision for himself

flyinfilipino

Smash Master
Sakurai: "What's this? Fans would be happy if I made Ridley a playable character?

Maybe...I shouldn't! They'll never predict that!"

XD

SkylerOcon

Tiny Dancer
A lot of competitive Melee players would beg to differ.
Advanced Techniques and hitstun got removed. This makes Brawl a completely different game. Stop trying to compare it to Melee (Not saying that you were the only one doing this, CB. This goes for everybody who has tried or is trying to compare the two.)

I think Sakurai took the right direction with the exclusion of Miis. While in most other fighting games, fans look forward to new changes and updates in the gameplay, the highlight of a new smash game is always the new characters. A completely customizable character such as the Mii would take away from this.

Of course, this doesn't mean that I'm against the idea of a Smash OC, in-fact, I'm completely for it! But that's something else for another time. It's also a debate that I don't want to get into here, so if you're in the SSB4 social group and feel like talking about this, we can talk about it there.

UncleSam

Smash Master
I think Sakurai took the right direction with the exclusion of Miis. While in most other fighting games, fans look forward to new changes and updates in the gameplay, the highlight of a new smash game is always the new characters. A completely customizable character such as the Mii would take away from this.
Yeah but like a lot of other fighting games you can customize your own character with pre-made movesets, you can just rate the create-your-own as a charater based on its movesets

ChronoBound

Smash Hero
What does everyone think about Simon Belmont and Ryu (Street Fighter) being choices for playable characters in Smash 4?

___Kelleno102___

Smash Rookie
I want a lot out of the new ssb.

First of all, a better SE. One that acually has worlds from the games, like Pop-Star and the Mushroom Kingdom. More Puzzles and some FE-like stratagy segments where when you come close to an enemy, you've got to fight them.
A second thing would be to change the stage builder a little. More Pieces to move and famous figures from past games, like the Warp Pipe. Also, they would change the classic stage thing.Make it more like a "hall of fame" for stages. Stages like Pokemon Stadium, Pictochat, Saffron City and Hyrule Castle(SSB) would be a must. New stages like Bowser's Castle(First SMB-like), Rainbow Road, Gannon's Castle and a Gravity Changing stage from SMG would be Nice.
Chars, Chars and more Characters! No Clones. Every movesert will be different! All Characters Return From Brawl. There would be a huge jump in Villians. I'll list the new Chars:

Tom Nook
Ray Mk
Issac
Baby Mario & Luigi
Megaman
Simon Belmont
Bowser Jr.
Black Shadow
Black Knight
King K. Rool
Mewtwo
Sylux
Waluigi
And The First Smash Bros. Playable Character.......Samurai Tabuu!

And then there is the modes. I hope the next Nintendo Console they will put this on will have much better Memory And online modes. No need for Friend Codes, Just an updated Mii and a profile and tag for it. ONline will have a Fight Finder with as many options as the single game will. It will also have downloadable content. Stage and Music Packs will be sold.

Last, I hope the Techs of Melee will return, and a speed that is an offspring of Melee And Brawl, so that it is 3/4ths the speed of Melee.

That's all if got to say.

SkylerOcon

Tiny Dancer
What does everyone think about Simon Belmont and Ryu (Street Fighter) being choices for playable characters in Smash 4?
While Simon Belmont is the more likely one, I would love to see Ryu in. Of course, I don't think either will make it (I still think that Crono is the second most likely third-party newcomer after Megaman), but if one of them did, I would be happy.

EDIT: Kelleno. Guess what? You will be on unhappy person if that's what you expect from SSB4.

flyinfilipino

Smash Master
I feel like you've asked this several times...

BUT ANYWAY

Despite never having played a game of the Castlevania series, I know some about it, and Simon looks like he could be a fun addition to the already diverse playable cast, along with whatever else the franchise has to offer.

Ryu would also add a lot to the cast diversity as a character who actually originated from a fighting game...but since there's no precedent for that yet, I think his chances are a little lower than Simon's....

justaway12

Smash Master
Hey, does anyone think Sora will be in smash I honestly don't think he will but i heard people want Sora in brawl and I told my second oldest sister about it she said he was going to come on the Wii I still don't think he will, does anyone think he will be in brawl?

PsychoIncarnate

The Eternal Will of the Swarm
NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
Hey, does anyone think Sora will be in smash I honestly don't think he will but i heard people want Sora in brawl and I told my second oldest sister about it she said he was going to come on the Wii I still don't think he will but still what do you think?
From Square, I'd rather have Geno...

Jimnymebob

Smash Champion
NNID
Jimnymebob
As much as I'd love to beat the crap outta him, I doubt he'll get in.

I like Sora, but I want the chance to make him suffer for being so cheerful.

Lord Viper

SS Rank
NNID
LordViper
3DS FC
2363-5881-2519
Yep. =P

Fairy of the Flowers and my second most loved Nintendo character. But a Japanese character which make's her chances go down a lot. But she's getting more and more known outside of Japan though, if they do make a Panel De Pon game that has her and not the other Nintendo characters, that will up her chance alot.

justaway12

Smash Master
Yep. =P

Fairy of the Flowers and my second most loved Nintendo character. But a Japanese character which make's her chances go down a lot. But she's getting more and more known outside of Japan though, if they do make a Panel De Pon game that has her and not the other Nintendo characters, that will up her chance alot.

If marth got in she could easily get in aswell.

•Col•

Smash Champion
I think I'd prefer Megaman instead of Ryu..... Actually, I'd prefer Zero over Megaman, but oh well... xD

mariofanpm12

Smash Ace
one year is too soon to improve the game and I personally want sakurai to stay unlike a lot of other people.

@TheSleepyOne: I personally like geno he is alright and could make a very good addition to brawl.
by +1 year i meant 1 year after the next console is release (so if the next console comes in 2012, then SSB4 should come in 2013)

Sir Ilpalazzo

Smash Apprentice
Dixie? Viable? I lol'd.
I don't see how it's lol-worthy. The fact that she was in the fighter data shows that she may have been viable.

No, hardly anyone wanted Snake in. Snake's moveset is replaceable. Also, I think a Castlevania character would be a far better representative of Konami's history with Nintendo than Snake. If Snake was bottom tier, he would be at the top of everyone's "cut" list.
It's true that no one wanted Snake in (or more accurately, that no one would have asked for him). But that's not a good reason to get rid of a character, as you have to know after being in these kind of debates for so long. No one would have really asked for Mr. Game & Watch, Pokemon Trainer and the first-gen starters, or the Ice Climbers (although a few people did vote for the Ice Climbers on the Melee poll).

It's also definitely true that Castlevania is a better representation of Konami's history with Nintendo, but Metal Gear seems like it's more representative of modern Konami.

I could actually see Simon getting in over Snake depending on the nature of Konami's relationship with Nintendo in the future, but I feel that the absolute safest prediction would be to say that neither would come back (not that I think Snake's return is unlikely).

This sort of relates to your later post asking for people's opinion on Ryu and Simon. There already are several series in Smash who are hard to predict future characters for because of the nature of the series (mainly Pokemon and Fire Emblem, maybe F-Zero) but third-parties are even "worse", since trying to predict that assumes things about the future of whichever series is being discussed (and its parent company), and their relationship with Nintendo (which doesn't even include unpredictable factors, like how Snake got in through Kojima).

It's for this reason that I feel the people who say "Mega Man is the most likely third-party for SSB4" or things like that are being unrealistic, and that the only third-party we could really bet on is Sonic (and possibly Snake).

Lemonwater

Smash Ace
The imbalanced roster in Melee was big enough for me to never want to go back. I preferred N64 Smash over Melee, even when I played Melee.

SmashChu

Banned via Warnings
I would question this.....

As we move out of the cinematic era of games, many franchises will change or kick the bucket. Metal Gear Solid will defiantly be one of them (it was only popular due to the cinematic era). Before long, people will loath MGS. Could this effect Snake being in future Smash games?

Mythic02

Smash Journeyman
I don't know about people loathing metal gear solid. Many of my friends absolutely love MGS4 and they like it due to the story and how it plays. It is surprisingly popular and people mainly just don't feel like advertising how much they love it unlike the mario, sonic, and megaman respect. I don't think Metal gear solid will die soon and i don't think snake will be cut.

edit: Don't forget konami begged for snake to be put in. They wanted snake in so I don't think the next smash will drop him. Konami won't change their representative.

Lemonwater

Smash Ace
Smash is a unique game in its own right. No other fighting game created is like it (except other Smash versions).I don't think people could all loathe it, although it's a game that you usually love or don't want to play at all. Some Nintendo characters can get tiresome, but I think it's unlikely anybody could hate ALL of them. Nintendo characters are so diverse that some of them are bound to work their way into your heart. Foe example, Link would be the character that got me. I find myself hating a lot of other characters, but then I just play Link and everything's fine. It doesn't make me despise the game or series as a whole. I still play N64 Smash, and it's been like....10 years? I still love it.

MGS will probably just end, IMO, since Snake is actually aging in the game. He's not immortal. Unless....next MGS Snake finds the Fountain of Youth!

Edit: Snake is now quite popular among both casual and tournament players, so I think it's not likely he will be cut out in the next game. Mewtwo, Roy, DR. Mario and Pichu were cut because they were too obscure and too similar to other characters (except Mewtwo). Ice Climbers probably made it because they were doing alright in tournaments. The four that were cut out were either outright clones or played so badly that they were removed. Usually both.

I am sad Roy and M2 got cut though :(

Mythic02

Smash Journeyman
I don't think the exclusion of the characters were due to bad tournament standards. They were all replaced.
Roy was replaced by Ike(ike has roy's fire and marth has roy's moveset). Wario replaced dr.mario(wario is the new mario bro and mario and luigi have parts of dr. mario's moveset). Pikachu was a better version of pichu so they put in Pokemon trainer instead of pichu. The only one left is mewtwo and I think lucario is a failed replacement of mewtwo. Lucario has a few similarities but got changed too much.

edit: obviously toon link replaced young link.

Lemonwater

Smash Ace
I don't think the exclusion of the characters were due to bad tournament standards. They were all replaced.
Roy was replaced by Ike(ike has roy's fire and marth has roy's moveset). Wario replaced dr.mario(wario is the new mario bro and mario and luigi have parts of dr. mario's moveset). Pikachu was a better version of pichu so they put in Pokemon trainer instead of pichu. The only one left is mewtwo and I think lucario is a failed replacement of mewtwo. Lucario has a few similarities but got changed too much.

You have a good point.

Actually Roy had Marth's moveset (he was a Marth clone). And of course Luigi has parts of Dr. Mario's moveset (he was originally a Mario Clone in N64). Toon Link and Young Link....yeah Young Link had it coming. If there was a Nurse Peach I bet she would've gotten removed too. Any clone with the original's name in its own is just too much.

I just hope everybody (except Pichu and Dr. Mario) returns in SSB4. Pichu and Dr. Mario were just the most obvious clones asking to be removed. Might as well make a Raichu and a Paper Mario and Little Mario and Tennis Player Mario. Too much clonage.

Kraryo

Smash Journeyman
NNID
SrirachaJoe
3DS FC
4124-5128-1575

Having good tourney results would make more (competetive) people want to use a certain character. I'm pretty sure that if Falco was a low tier character in Melee, then he wouldn't be popular enough to warrant a return and thus be replaced by Wolf. Falco is just as replacable as those other characters, because Fox has Falco's A moves, throws, Reflector, and side b while Wolf has lasers with hitstun.

If Dr. Mario was one of the top 4, then he probably wouldn't of gotten replaced.

justaway12

Smash Master
Dr.mario can just be an alternate costume and Pichu can be a pokeball.
There are much more deserving mario and pokemon reps.

Mario reps:
Bowser jr.
Waluigi
Daisy
etc.

I'm not a big fan of pokemon so I wouldn't know.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom