• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

[Official SSB4 Discussion] --- Nintendo announces 2 new Smash games!

Status
Not open for further replies.

ChronoBound

Smash Hero
Artificial Intelligence...

...this may not be true, but I read somewhere that originally the Ice Climbers in Melee was going to be a single character, with Nana being one of your alternate colors, before the idea of having them work together was brought up. If this is true, then they made a single character work as a duo character, so Diddy & Dixie can happen.
Yes, I even saw early screenshots of Melee in which Popo was all by himself.

WolfCypher

Smash Lord
NNID
WolfCypher
Switch FC
4999 6039 1484
@Mike: Thanks!

I have a thought...what if instead of a tag-team, Diddy and Dixie functioned more like a "transformation"? (They're different characters, that's why there are " "; but the on-screen mechanic is more like a transformation)
How would it look? Would Diddy just disappear and Dixie appear?

MasterWarlord

Smash Champion
Not wasting countless hours on a 10 man community
Does Donkey Kong really deserve 4 reps? We ARE getting another character on the select screen that in any logic will be K. Rool. We don't need to give Donkey Kong another character, even if it is hidden under Diddy Kong's slot. Donkey Kong doesn't deserve 4 characters for the same reason Starfox doesn't.

And to be quite frank, the only reason anyone wants Krystal is because she's female and hot. If she were ugly and wern't attractive, then nobody would give a crap about her. In all realism, Smash 4 will have no female newcomers.

flyinfilipino

Smash Master
Does Donkey Kong really deserve 4 reps? We ARE getting another character on the select screen that in any logic will be K. Rool. We don't need to give Donkey Kong another character, even if it is hidden under Diddy Kong's slot. Donkey Kong doesn't deserve 4 characters for the same reason Starfox doesn't.

And to be quite frank, the only reason anyone wants Krystal is because she's female and hot. If she were ugly and wern't attractive, then nobody would give a crap about her. In all realism, Smash 4 will have no female newcomers.
Booooooooooooo

party pooper.

SmashBrosMike

Smash Ace

I still hope for K. Rool to be in SSB4. As a Playable Character. Oh and flyinflipino. You double posted.

DekuBoy

Smash Lord
I think they both appear together. But I have some questions. In their up-B would the AI player grab onto you for the ride? Hmmm I'm a bit wary. The Ice Climbers perform all the same moves together. If they both synched A-moves AND both had unique movesets I think it would be odd.

flyinfilipino

Smash Master
I think they both appear together. But I have some questions. In their up-B would the AI player grab onto you for the ride? Hmmm I'm a bit wary. The Ice Climbers perform all the same moves together. If they both synched A-moves AND both had unique movesets I think it would be odd.
I think that must be the difficult part of it. I guess that's why I brought up the barrel transformation idea.

ChronoBound

Smash Hero

Donkey Kong is hell of a lot more important than Star Fox. Donkey Kong was one of Nintendo's biggest series during SNES and Nintendo 64 generations, and is Nintendo's biggest series behind the Big 3.

Also, Krystal isn't hot. She's an animal.

MasterWarlord

Smash Champion
If you want to discuss moveset possibilities and ignore the likelihood of the character getting into smash, that's what

THIShttp://www.smashboards.com/showthread.php?t=207551http://www.smashboards.com/showthread.php?t=207551

thread is for.

And whether or not you think Krystal is hot, Chrono, there will always be people who claim as such. You of all people should know that her hauntings of the wet dreams of fanboys are the only reason she has any popularity.

This should hardly be surprising when people can somehow get some enjoyment out of Rouge the Bat for crap's sake.

And Donkey Kong is far more important then Starfox. That's blaringly obvious. But it still doesn't deserve four characters.

flyinfilipino

Smash Master
Donkey Kong is hell of a lot more important than Star Fox. Donkey Kong was one of Nintendo's biggest series during SNES and Nintendo 64 generations, and is Nintendo's biggest series behind the Big 3.

I think we're all getting a little too obsessed over why every other character shouldn't/doesn't deserve to make it into the next Smash Bros. game. Honestly, we can give an argument against every newcomer that people are bringing up. It's not fun, guys.

I concur Chrono; Donkey Kong should've been one of the bigger franchises from the beginning.

And who gives a flying turd about why people like Krystal?! Peach is a nobody. If she wasn't a female, no one would be interested in her in the first place. Nobody cares.

Just because you might think a certain character isn't likely doesn't mean you need to shove it down everyone's throats and hijack the thread.

MasterWarlord

Smash Champion
The point I was bringing up is that females are only wanted in the gaming world due to sexual attractiveness the vast majority of the time, and their roles are exaggerated due to these biases. Soul Calibur as a series is plenty enough proof of that.

Krystal is massively over rated.

And if we're not debating character chances, we have no reason to be here at all. Close the thread please.

ChronoBound

Smash Hero
I think we're all getting a little too obsessed over why every other character shouldn't/doesn't deserve to make it into the next Smash Bros. game. Honestly, we can give an argument against every newcomer that people are bringing up. It's not fun, guys.

I concur Chrono; Donkey Kong should've been one of the bigger franchises from the beginning.

And who gives a flying turd about why people like Krystal?! Peach is a nobody. If she wasn't a female, no one would be interested in her in the first place. Nobody cares.

Just because you might think a certain character isn't likely doesn't mean you need to shove it down everyone's throats and hijack the thread.
I am not hijacking the thread, all I said is my opinion regarding why I think Krystal is unattractive.

flyinfilipino

Smash Master
The point I was bringing up is that females are only wanted in the gaming world due to sexual attractiveness the vast majority of the time, and their roles are exaggerated due to these biases. Soul Calibur as a series is plenty enough proof of that.

Krystal is massively over rated.

And if we're not debating character chances, we have no reason to be here at all. Close the thread please.
Alright, and this affects their chances as characters how...?

If you're not here to talk about characters' chances, then you don't need to be here at all. You don't even like it when people disagree with you, what are you here to discuss?

@Chrono: That wasn't aimed at you, sorry!

WolfCypher

Smash Lord
NNID
WolfCypher
Switch FC
4999 6039 1484

Sales wise, Mario, Pokémon, Zelda, Donkey Kong, Kirby in that order.

If you want to discuss moveset possibilities and ignore the likelihood of the character getting into smash, that's what

THIShttp://www.smashboards.com/showthread.php?t=207551http://www.smashboards.com/showthread.php?t=207551

thread is for.
That's for if we wanted to go all out and make an elaborate page-long create-a-moveset. Here we're just talking about how Dixie Kong would work in SSB4...that entails some moveset discussion.

And whether or not you think Krystal is hot, Chrono, there will always be people who claim as such. You of all people should know that her hauntings of the wet dreams of fanboys are the only reason she has any popularity.

This should hardly be surprising when people can somehow get some enjoyment out of Rouge the Bat for crap's sake.

And Donkey Kong is far more important then Starfox. That's blaringly obvious. But it still doesn't deserve four characters.
He's right. Popularity doesn't equal priority. Look at Geno's "popularity" (limited mostly to message boards).

Anyhoo, as I joked earlier, by making the DK duo a duo, we can bypass the "limits" for the DK franchise. That way, even though there are four DK characters (Donkey, Diddy, Dixie, and K Rool), there are only "three" (Diddy and Dixie are always bound together as one character; no matter what, when you pick one, you're stuck with both).

MasterWarlord

Smash Champion
Fine then. What shall we debate? Sorry that I can only take so much idiocy. I can't exactly argue with someone who thinks Waluigi is more likely then K. Rool.

Since we're on this topic, let's discuss Krystal, biases against how she gets her popularity aside.

Krystal is only popular enough among the US fanbase. In Japan, she's competing with Leon and Slippy for the most popular slot. We all know by now japan is what matters due to the blatant Japanese bias of Sakurai and Nintendo in general. Does that mean Leon or Slippy will be in SSB4? Hell no. There really is no clear winner on the world wide basis for who should get the slot, and Starfox is such an incredibly minor and obscure series compared to the other franchises in Brawl it's not even funny, so why add a character a good portion of people would rather have another one in over?

@Wolf Cypher: Your idea is more likely then Dixie getting a slot all to herself by far, but if it happened I'd suspect the pair to share the vast majority of their moves. I also don't think it's fair to bog down Diddy, who should've been in Melee, with another character tied to him.

flyinfilipino

Smash Master
Fine then. What shall we debate? Sorry that I can only take so much idiocy. I can't exactly argue with someone who thinks Waluigi is more likely then K. Rool.

Since we're on this topic, let's discuss Krystal, biases against how she gets her popularity aside.

Krystal is only popular enough among the US fanbase. In Japan, she's competing with Leon and Slippy for the most popular slot. We all know by now japan is what matters due to the blatant Japanese bias of Sakurai and Nintendo in general. Does that mean Leon or Slippy will be in SSB4? Hell no. There really is no clear winner on the world wide basis for who should get the slot, and Starfox is such an incredibly minor and obscure series compared to the other franchises in Brawl it's not even funny, so why add a character a good portion of people would rather have another one in over?
Sorry that I feel that people that think everyone that disagrees with them is an idiot are obnoxious sometimes. And if you're talking about me there, you've got me mixed up with someone else.

To appeal to fans, duh.

"There'll never be third-party characters in-"

"Sonic has no chance in-"

"Pokemon Trainer? There's no way-"

"Olimar is too sma-"

I don't know why we're in such a hurry to jump to absolutes when the game's at least 5-6+ years away.

WolfCypher

Smash Lord
NNID
WolfCypher
Switch FC
4999 6039 1484

I really hope you weren't referring to me with that idiocy crack, as well as thinking I want (or even like) Waluigi in SSB4...

Anywho, if you want my opinion, I've already stated that

A: StarFox doesn't need any more reps. We have the big 3...Leon, Slippy, and even Krystal would be pushing it, and none of them, save maybe (and that's a debatable maybe) Krystal as she does bring something to the table Slippy and Leon wouldn't...

A.1: And even still Krystal should be limited to Assist Trophy, since no matter what she brings to the table, StarFox does not need 4 playable characters.

B: Krystal has just as many fans as she has haters. If we were to take every Krystal fanboy and have them vote for Krystal, those votes would tie with the Krystal naysayers...for a character with so-called popularity on her side, why are there just as many Krystal loathers?

MasterWarlord

Smash Champion
Sorry that I feel that people that think everyone that disagrees with them is an idiot are obnoxious sometimes. And if you're talking about me there, you've got me mixed up with someone else.

To appeal to fans, duh.

"There'll never be third-party characters in-"

"Sonic has no chance in-"

"Pokemon Trainer? There's no way-"

"Olimar is too sma-"
I wasn't referring to you, but you never really engage yourself in conflicts that much. You're more of a referee or a spectator more then anything else.

People are allowed to disagree. . .
So long as it's not about K. Rool. Heil Kremling King!

Once Snake and 3rd party characters were confirmed, Sonic was a no brainer.

People only were against Pokemon Trainer due to people thinking he wouldn't use Pokemon. The idea of him using Pokemon was never brought up.

Only idiots oppossed Olimar due to size, and they are the same people who are against Ridley for the most part. It's at least somewhat acceptable that people think Ridley would look awkward smaller, but Olimar looks just fine bigger.

(I edited my old post for something actually directed at you WolfCypher. And no, nobody posting right now is who I was talking about.)

flyinfilipino

Smash Master
I wasn't referring to you, but you never really engage yourself in conflicts that much. You're more of a referee or a spectator more then anything else.

People are allowed to disagree. . .
So long as it's not about K. Rool. Heil Kremling King!

Once Snake and 3rd party characters were confirmed, Sonic was a no brainer.

People only were against Pokemon Trainer due to people thinking he wouldn't use Pokemon. The idea of him using Pokemon was never brought up.

Only idiots oppossed Olimar due to size, and they are the same people who are against Ridley for the most part. It's at least somewhat acceptable that people think Ridley would look awkward smaller, but Olimar looks just fine bigger.
Alrighty then. Sorry if I got a bit out of hand. I just get a little annoyed when people jump to absolutes when we're wayyyyy too early for that.
that and you're a broken record
:bee:

As for Krystal, I'm a fan of her because she's so different from the rest of the Star Fox team. Yes, it's partly because she is a girl. No, I am not attracted to her at all. Nothing wrong with that, right?

Spire

III
BRoomer
Waluigi IS more likely than K. Rool. Waluigi has been featured in more games thus far than K. Rool, and despite only being a spin-off character, he's gained enough rep to be fashioned into an Assist Trophy, the closest thing to an actual playable character. Where's K. Rool? In the trophy bin.

That's not to say that I do not support K. Rool, but your blatant bias against all others in part to your favoritism of K. Rool is foolish, and downgrades your word, revealing your "MasterWarlordness" to be a very gilded guise.

WolfCypher

Smash Lord
NNID
WolfCypher
Switch FC
4999 6039 1484
I don't care either way on Ridley...I have enough characters I'm wishing against (Geno, Waluigi, again Krystal) to add to the list. But if Ridley gets added and he looks as crappy as he did in the Melee intro, and/or his proportions limit his playstyle, or make him play unevenly, I'll be the first one to say "I told you so".

@Wolf Cypher: Your idea is more likely then Dixie getting a slot all to herself by far, but if it happened I'd suspect the pair to share the vast majority of their moves. I also don't think it's fair to bog down Diddy, who should've been in Melee, with another character tied to him.
Bog down...you make it sound like having Dixie paired with Diddy would be a disadvantage...I wouldn't think you'd be forced to play with the other Kong like you're forced to using different Pokémon with PT or else be weakened due to low stamina, while at the same time I wouldn't think losing the other Kong would limit your effectiveness like losing an Ice Climber would to Popo & Nana. In these regards, Diddy & Dixie would be the most balanced of the two-in-one/multi characters, not counting "transformation" characters.

God, I need to become a Smash Debater.

flyinfilipino

Smash Master
Waluigi IS more likely than K. Rool. Waluigi has been featured in more games thus far than K. Rool, and despite only being a spin-off character, he's gained enough rep to be fashioned into an Assist Trophy, the closest thing to an actual playable character. Where's K. Rool? In the trophy bin.

That's not to say that I do not support K. Rool, but your blatant bias against all others in part to your favoritism of K. Rool is foolish, and downgrades your word, revealing your "MasterWarlordness" to be a very gilded guise.
Although I believe most characters who were made into Assist Trophies share the trait that they were never considered to be made playable, do you think that Waluigi's and K. Rool's chances of becoming playable are connected at all, or are you talking about how likely they are within their respective series (or both)?

Spire

III
BRoomer
Although I believe most characters who were made into Assist Trophies share the trait that they were never considered to be made playable, do you think that Waluigi's and K. Rool's chances of becoming playable are connected at all, or are you talking about how likely they are within their respective series (or both)?
I think the Assist Trophies were chosen and created as a means to homage and advertise the characters and their respective series. Soon after Brawl was released, Sin & Punishment 2 was announced, and what did Nintendo do to promote that? Release it on VC and put a rep in as an AT. What about Little Mac? A lot of people did not know who he was before Brawl, but what was announced at the same time as Sin & Punishment 2? A new Punch-Out! Who knows what they have in store for some of the other AT's (I'm thinking Isaac, Devil, Jill, and Stafy).

Now, within their respective series, K. Rool is obviously more important than Waluigi has, and probably ever will be. I'd rather K. Rool get in over Waluigi any day, but the outcome may be unfavorable.

SmashBrosMike

Smash Ace

Well if there's Bowser, Ganondorf, and King Dedede. There can be King K. Rool.

They are enemies to each nintendo character and if they can be playable. So can K. Rool. He can be playable.

SmashBrosMike

Smash Ace
King K. Rool will be playable.

He is the same size as Bowser and Dedede. That will make it fair.

Melee gets Bowser

Brawl gets Dedede

and SSB4 will most likely get K. Rool.

King K. Rool is most likely to be playable. He could classify as a Heavyweight along with Bowser and Dedede. I want him more then Ridley. He will most likely be in with them,

Spire

III
BRoomer
Well if there's Bowser, Ganondorf, and King Dedede. There can be King K. Rool.

They are enemies to each nintendo character and if they can be playable. So can K. Rool. He can be playable.
King K. Rool will be playable.

He is the same size as Bowser and Dedede. That will make it fair.

Melee gets Bowser

Brawl gets Dedede

and SSB4 will most likely get K. Rool.

King K. Rool is most likely to be playable. He could classify as a Heavyweight along with Bowser and Dedede. I want him more then Ridley. He will most likely be in with them,
You have the most bizarre logic.
Well then, time for a new, somewhat-serious topic:

http://serebii.net/movies/arceus/

It looks like a certain old friend is being used to promote something potentially new in Pokemon...

Does anyone else think that might give the aforementioned character another shot at Smash Bros. in the future?
Kind of strange. I surely hope Pichu comes back in some form or another (did I just say that?). Not as a playable character though, but definitely more than a trophy.

WolfCypher

Smash Lord
NNID
WolfCypher
Switch FC
4999 6039 1484
Here I go, being a downer again, but I can't keep this to myself...

GAH! The very though of Pichu returning to SSB...do you know how many abortions that would cause?! Especially if Pichu made it in over Mewtwo , Pokémon Trainer, or Lucario!!!

flyinfilipino

Smash Master
You have the most bizarre logic.
I was about to say the same thing.

Kind of strange. I surely hope Pichu comes back in some form or another (did I just say that?). Not as a playable character though, but definitely more than a trophy.
It is weird; if the funky-ear was supposed to be only a gender difference, then why didn't they implement it in D/P/Pt?

I wouldn't even mind if Pichu came back as a character. He had his own charm about him :ohwell:.

@WolfCypher: Lol. Pichu could take Capt. Falcon's place as "the worst character in the game"...something his fans might appreciate?

Spire

III
BRoomer
It is weird; if the funky-ear was supposed to be only a gender difference, then why didn't they implement it in D/P/Pt?

I wouldn't even mind if Pichu came back as a character. He had his own charm about him :ohwell:.
It is strange, because I've wondered the same about why it was not implemented into the 4th Gen trilogy.

Here's why Pichu cannot be a playable character. He'd be a clone, simply put, and despite having that "oh so certain charm", he'd be infinitely filler, as he was in Melee. Just another Pikachu pretty much. While many people dislike Toon Link, he has so much more relevance than Pichu can have. Out of all 493 Pokemon (while many are out of the question), why ANOTHER electric mouse?

flyinfilipino

Smash Master
It is strange, because I've wondered the same about why it was not implemented into the 4th Gen trilogy.

Here's why Pichu cannot be a playable character. He'd be a clone, simply put, and despite having that "oh so certain charm", he'd be infinitely filler, as he was in Melee. Just another Pikachu pretty much. While many people dislike Toon Link, he has so much more relevance than Pichu can have. Out of all 493 Pokemon (while many are out of the question), why ANOTHER electric mouse?
Just as a joke, of course, just like in Melee (and absolutely after every other character is considered). I must be the only one who used Pichu in Melee

majora_787

Smash Hero
Okay...wow. Uhm.

I read through most of the posts, and I think I found a good idea for Roster additions...

There are what, 20 universes. Take out Pokemon and LoZ, they are at the point where they cycle out characters. Add one WTF character. We have 19 characters so far. Remove Kid Icarus, G+W, Gyromite and Ice Climber. They are unlikely to have another rep. That leaves 15 characters, at one per series. That would bring it up to...50 characters. A good-sized roster, seems like a good idea.

OR we could ignore that. Let's add one to every series. Replace the Gyromite series with a spot for one WTF character. Replace Electroplankton, NDS, and Animal Crossing with potential added series...say, Animal Crossing...Golden Sun...and Retro.

That would be...20 characters, if we ALSO added a 3rd party slot. 55 characters, I believe.

If I counted wrong, somebody please fix my math...I hope I EXPLAINED it well enough.

WolfCypher

Smash Lord
NNID
WolfCypher
Switch FC
4999 6039 1484
Well, the Pokémon games are well known for taking gameplay elements (can we even count gender physical traits as a gameplay element?) and elaborating on them even more in later games, so I guess in the 5th Gen, this element will return with even more apparent physical abnormalities, and this movie is a preview of how this element will be improved on.

I try to have an answer for everything.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom