• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

[Official SSB4 Discussion] --- Nintendo announces 2 new Smash games!

Status
Not open for further replies.

gantrain05

Smash Master
Oh this will be fun.

EVERY other Mario game other than Mario Is Missing.

Hell, the following game is better than FF7:

YES, I WENT THERE.

FF7 isn't the best game in its series; more liek the one with Kefka.

THAT was a good game...
you don't even KNOW which one has kefka, for your information its ff6, which is also an awesome game, but no, no mario games have even close to the amount of depth or the storyline to compete, they are simple platformers, the best mario game is probably super mario bros. 3. and by todays standards there are a ton of better platformers, castlevania comes to mind, the kirby games are way more fun. mario isn't the best game ever, its just the most well known since it had absolutely no competition when it came out, so naturally the sequels sold well, but look at todays mario games, they are garbage. mario sunshine? wtf that game was gay as hell. the last good mario platformer was mario 64 and even that one was much less fun than the originals.

donkey kong country is fun, but again, the game was just a platformer, with no story besides, "gaurd my bananas, and then diddy gets kidnapped and they are all like, Zomg lets go find this *******" oh yeah thats deep, oh and 007 goldeneye was a better fps than bioshock, but i can't argue ocarina, one of my favorite games of all time.

smashbot226

Smash Master
you don't even KNOW which one has kefka, for your information its ff6, which is also an awesome game, but no, no mario games have even close to the amount of depth or the storyline to compete, they are simple platformers, the best mario game is probably super mario bros. 3. and by todays standards there are a ton of better platformers, castlevania comes to mind, the kirby games are way more fun. mario isn't the best game ever, its just the most well known since it had absolutely no competition when it came out, so naturally the sequels sold well, but look at todays mario games, they are garbage. mario sunshine? wtf that game was gay as hell. the last good mario platformer was mario 64 and even that one was much less fun than the originals.

donkey kong country is fun, but again, the game was just a platformer, with no story besides, "gaurd my bananas, and then diddy gets kidnapped and they are all like, Zomg lets go find this *******" oh yeah thats deep, oh and 007 goldeneye was a better fps than bioshock, but i can't argue ocarina, one of my favorite games of all time.
:laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh:

Your logic makes me smile, quatripain. I could never really take you seriously...

1. Mario games are STILL considered the best in their series; Super Mario Galaxy is one of the BEST Wii games and possibly the BEST newer games, SMRPG has a cult following and a VERY large fanbase, though I don't understand why, the other RPGS are also great, the first Paper Mario game, I can say, is in my
TOP TEN BEST GAMES F*CKING EVER.

And FF7's plot is basically summarized very well by Encyclopedia Dramatica:

(tl;dr alert. It's still pretty hilarious though.)

"The story revolves around a badass uber-soldier with an impossibly giant sword named Cloud Strife, who is found stoned at the railway station by his teenage sweetheart, Tifa Lockheart. Tifa now belongs to the Marxist environmental terrorist group known as AVALANCHE. What AVALANCHE actually stands for is never revealed in the game, but a good guess is "All Valiant Alliances Lose All Nice Convictions, Hug Earwigs."
AVALANCHE is, initially, led by Barret Wallace (AKA: "Mr. T") - it is composed of Tifa; Lard *** with "Star Wars" Name; ***got with "Star Wars" Name, and Dumb Lesbian **** who has always harbored secret fantasies of scissoring Tifa. They trot around Midgar blowing stuff that belongs to the Shinra Corporation (those evil capitalist *******s!) sky high. Mercifully enough, the latter three AVALANCHE members get offed violently by Shinra in the first hour of the game, after which Cloud + gang escape Midgar City for the world beyond - chased by Shinra Corp.'s "Turks", a group of trained secret police. From this point on, the lulz really kick into gear as Cloud's tormented past begins to resurface.

Some time during the blowing-up of power plants, Cloud meets Aeris Gainsborough and develops as much of a love connection with her as an emotionally stunted Japanese man can program into a RPG, which is almost exactly equal to negative none. After she joins the party Aeris lasts about one hour of game play before she is killed during a dramatic entrance - one of many - of the alpha bad-guy, Sephiroth.

Many Final Fantasy VII fans will candidly relate that they cried during the funeral scene that followed, which just shows that they have the emotional capacity of a watermelon, and the social cognizance of Nickolaus. A lot of them are emo, too.

The story proceeds through many standard twists and turns, including a sequence in which Cloud sits around doing nothing but staring into outer space and mumbling nonsense that would make an autistic 5-year old look like a Harvard grad . . . until it is revealed that Cloud is a HUGE ****ing liar.

It turns out that he was a glorified cannon-fodder soldier that served under both Sephiroth and Aeris's boyfriend Zack. In a psychotic rage, Sephiroth murdered Zack upon finding out that his conception and subsequent birth were the result of a mad scientist ****ing a female tentacle monster -- and without protection to boot, how dangerous.

In a huge series of events that make **** amount of sense, Zack escapes from a lab with Cloud who's now all ********. Shortly before they make their way safely into Midgar, Zack gets the **** shot out of him by Shinra soldiers and dies.

Then Cloud, seeing Zack be all dead and stuff, takes his sword, WRYYYYYYYs for a while and then leaves him to rot in the outskirts of the city.

After seeing a weird monster from the center of the earth kill the Shinra Corporation's corrupt board of directors - or in other words, the planet acquiring Shinra through a VERY hostile takeover - and cutting time out of his not-so-busy schedule to take part in the obligatory "No one loves me!!!!" scene, Cloud then goes and confronts Sephiroth at the Northern Crater. There, Sephiroth is planning on inflicting a huge wound to the planet via "Meteor", the Black Materia. This wound will, like the opening in Art Price's picnic table, provide an avenue for Sephiroth to become one with the planet. Through this, he has hopes of becoming a god.

This makes it obvious to all but those that fell victim to the game's ability to suck out brain cells that Sephiroth's plans amount to the biggest . . . skull **** . . . EVAR.
(And you thought Greenpeace pansies wanting to intimately know the knotholes of a pine tree were bad?!)

Sephiroth mutates into two forms in order to destroy Cloud's rag-tag band of losers. These are, to wit, "Easter Island Sephiroth" and "Antichrist Sephiroth." At the very end of the battle, Cloud symbolically destroys Sephiroth by counter-attacking upon being brutally wounded - thus killing him in the ***giest way possible.
The ending (loved by those who love the lulz) cuts as the meteor is broken apart by flowing white strands; we're suddenly seeing several hundred years into the future, where Red XIII gazes downward upon Midgar City (which is now abandoned and covered in many forms of plant life) with his CHILDREN?! Presumably Red XIII is asexual. Presumably he is able to have puppies with human women.

Or maybe, and this presents itself as a much more likely conclusion to someone who wasn't ditching science class to smoke pot when the teacher gave his lesson on genetics, the story writers of FFVII are idiots since Red XIII is supposed to be the last of his kind.
Then, Red XIII tells his ******* children a story about the Circle of Life. They set off a camp fire, roast S'mores, and lulzes are had by all.
THE END.

Basically it's like watching Akira and Blade Runner fap into each other's faces for 100 hours,
only gayer.

Spoiler Alert: the above text contains plot and/or ending details

(tl;dr. FF7 fans are all gay, emo, or (moar likely) both. Sephiroth's final battle form can be found here.)"

AWESOME.

SirKibble

Smash Champion
Just want to address a few things...

no mario games have even close to the amount of depth or the storyline to compete
Storyline isn't everything. You're on SmashBoards. Smash hasn't had storyline until Brawl, and even then, it's far from being an excellent one. Still, we all enjoy the games. Why is that? Oh, yeah, gameplay...

they are simple platformers
Hey now, there's nothing wrong with platformers. In fact, I might go as far as to say that there's everything right with platformers. Come on, they're awesome.

the kirby games are way more fun
Universal truth
otherwise known as my opinion

mario isn't the best game ever
For starters, Mario isn't a game, it's a series. And that aside, whether or not it's the best series ever... That's just too subjective. There are a great number of awesome series to compete for that title.

its just the most well known since it had absolutely no competition when it came out, so naturally the sequels sold well, but look at todays mario games, they are garbage. mario sunshine? wtf that game was gay as hell. the last good mario platformer was mario 64 and even that one was much less fun than the originals.
It is written, "Thou shalt not diss the Mario." Therefore, you have violated a fundamental principle of gaming. Therefore, you are shunned.

Wait, what are we all getting at with this argument, again? I forgot...

flyinfilipino said:
Uh oh, this'll turn into a "MY FAVORITE GAME!!!" argument....
"Oh yeah? Well, my favorite game ever is Ocarina of Time!"
"No, it's not!"
"What the-- You can't tell me what my favorite game is!!"
"Yes, I can. I hated that game, so it sucks, and can't be your favorite."
"You suck, man. I hate you."

This is going to promote lots of unity among board members, isn't it?

smashbot226

Smash Master
"Oh yeah? Well, my favorite game ever is Ocarina of Time!"
"No, it's not!"
"What the-- You can't tell me what my favorite game is!!"
"Yes, I can. I hated that game, so it sucks, and can't be your favorite."
"You suck, man. I hate you."

This is going to promote lots of unity among board members, isn't it?
SO MUCH FRIENDSHIP.

BTW, it IS the best game ever.

Darkwashu

Smash Ace
FF7's hole filled plot and terible graphics (When they arent in battle,Cloud doesnt have elbow or fingers <_<) doesnt make it THAT great.
Yes,I know it was an attempt at 3-D graphics,but it failed horribly.
The thing that really bugged me about the game was,a character it only as good as their materia.
A game doesnt have to have a story to make it amazing,thats like saying every genre of games that arent RPG's are terrible and crap.Also,if you REALLY wanna think about it, FF7 is basically about making sure a rock doesnt fall, if you wanna take a very simplistic approach at it.

And BTW,Super Mario Galaxy is imo the best Mario platformer yet.
Yeah,better than Mario 64.

/rant

Better yet,I can use this chart.

Wölf

Smash Apprentice
Top 10 Things I'd love to see for SSB4:

10) Ganon wielding a sword.

9) No more clone characters. Make every character have something unique. It seems like now nearly every character can either inhale, shoot projectiles, counter or have multiple jumps. In SSB64 it was AWESOME that Kirby could jump 5 times. It was AWESOME that Link could pull an item out whenever he wanted. It was AWESOME that Samus had a chargeable projectile. It was AWESOME that Fox had a way to reflect projectiles. Now, it's like every single character has one of these things. It's not special anymore.

8) Captain Falcon not sucking.

7) Make the game more competition friendly. Rather than be a comp-hater, Sakurai should embrace competitions. They are what keeps the game popular for 4+ years, not a 15 hour story mode.

6) Either change certain final smashes to make them more unique/better, or get rid of them altogether. I mean really. 3 Characters have the EXACT same FS (Space Animals) and another 4 or 5 have sword based KO FSes that 1hit you if you're in front of them.

5) Smarten the AI. I mean like get professional smashers to help work on them to make them as human like as possible.

4) Make better stages. Out of the 41 total stages, at least half of them are unfairly campable, too large, or have stupid, arbitrary things in the background that can KO you very easily. (No-fair, Spear Pillar, I'm talking to you.) Predictable gimmicks aren't bad, such as the Hypercannon in Halberd and the Cannonballs in Pirate ship. Those are easily avoided but with proper strategy can be used to kill others. Also, stages like Delfino Plaza and Pokemon Stadium 1 are nice because they have a constantly changing environment which causes more strategy.

3) Better video-making technology. Allow us to edit AND send our videos to the internet via Wi-fi.

2) Fix certain characters' recoveries. The Space Animals can't grab a ledge while facing backwards.

1) GET RID OF SOME **** CHARACTERS. I mean really, do we need 35 different playable characters, when half of them are obviously not as good as the others? Don't throw out any of that "Tiers r4 Queers" BS, because we all know it. Some characters are just terrible and obviously were put into the game to appease fanboys with no thought at all put into the development. This either caused them to be ridiculously overpowered, or terribly underpowered. It may just be me, but doesn't it seem like most of the quote-unquote "High Tier" characters are brand new? D3, Snake, MK, Toon Link, Diddy, Lucas... Is it a coincidence, I think not. I think that in an effort to stuff as many characters to appeal to the widest variety of fans possible, little to no emphasis was placed on balancing them out. It was simply a thought of "Ok guys, we HAVE to get a MGS character in there. Just look at his fanbase!" and he's in. No, I'm not Johning about these characters, but I am Johning about the apparent lack of thought put into them.

EDIT: I just read the last 2 pages and realized this post is irrelevant to the current conversation.

Skyshroud

Smash Ace
1) GET RID OF SOME **** CHARACTERS. I mean really, do we need 35 different playable characters, when half of them are obviously not as good as the others? Don't throw out any of that "Tiers r4 Queers" BS, because we all know it. Some characters are just terrible and obviously were put into the game to appease fanboys with no thought at all put into the development. This either caused them to be ridiculously overpowered, or terribly underpowered. It may just be me, but doesn't it seem like most of the quote-unquote "High Tier" characters are brand new? D3, Snake, MK, Toon Link, Diddy, Lucas... Is it a coincidence, I think not. I think that in an effort to stuff as many characters to appeal to the widest variety of fans possible, little to no emphasis was placed on balancing them out. It was simply a thought of "Ok guys, we HAVE to get a MGS character in there. Just look at his fanbase!" and he's in. No, I'm not Johning about these characters, but I am Johning about the apparent lack of thought put into them.
Honestly, if the next smash has less characters, I'm probably not going to buy it. Sure, I enjoy competing, but I enjoy having fun AND competing. If they just start cutting characters in order to appease their laziness in regards to balancing, I'm not going to care enough to buy it. So, yes, we really need a lot of characters. I like playing with my favorite characters. The only change that needs to be made is more work on balancing and less work adding superfluous gimmicks that nobody really plays.

MasterWarlord

Smash Champion
Not wasting countless hours on a 10 man community
Cutting characters because they're too good/bad is the most idiotic thing I've ever heard. Why do you think Mewtwo was cut? Sakurai just needs to get up off his *** and actually balance the bloody game, I've been screaming this for a while now. The insane gap between Meta Knight and Captain Falcon is utterly ridiculous.

Darkwashu

Smash Ace

EDIT: I just read the last 2 pages and realized this post is irrelevant to the current conversation.
Why the hell would they get rid of characters?

And I never knew Lucas,Tlink and Diddy where high tier!
And,the AI is smarter than it ever was,in Melee,Luigi didnt even use his U+B!

Chief Mendez

Smash Master
Oh God. Please people...stop talking about Final Fantasy VII. It's a good game, though it hasn't aged well. JUST LEAVE IT ALONE ALREADY

Nerd Rage: "a character is only as good as their materia". Dude, I've gone through the entire game using nothing but the almighty Nail Bat. A BAT WITH NAILS IN IT

Wolf said:
4) Make better stages. Out of the 41 total stages, at least half of them are unfairly campable, too large, or have stupid, arbitrary things in the background that can KO you very easily. (No-fair, Spear Pillar, I'm talking to you.) Predictable gimmicks aren't bad, such as the Hypercannon in Halberd and the Cannonballs in Pirate ship. Those are easily avoided but with proper strategy can be used to kill others. Also, stages like Delfino Plaza and Pokemon Stadium 1 are nice because they have a constantly changing environment which causes more strategy.

3) Better video-making technology. Allow us to edit AND send our videos to the internet via Wi-fi.
#3 would require a hard drive. It would be cool, but there are other things the devs should focus on first.

#4 This is what the Stage Editor is for. With some easy upgrades, those players who don't like the normal, creative, game-centric levels can just stick exclusively to using that.

ANYWAY

My personal favorite Mario game is Galaxy, just for he Gusty Garden music. New SMB comes in second. Also I'm not a big fan of most Kirby games. Besides Super Star, Dream Land 3, and 64, I find most of them to be quite bland. Though Canvas Curse is easily the best game in the franchise.

SmashChu

Banned via Warnings
9) No more clone characters. Make every character have something unique. It seems like now nearly every character can either inhale, shoot projectiles, counter or have multiple jumps. In SSB64 it was AWESOME that Kirby could jump 5 times. It was AWESOME that Link could pull an item out whenever he wanted. It was AWESOME that Samus had a chargeable projectile. It was AWESOME that Fox had a way to reflect projectiles. Now, it's like every single character has one of these things. It's not special anymore.
With 35 characters, it's hard to keep every special move different. There will be overlapping.

Plus, clones are there becuase it makes sence. Lucas and Ness are identical in their games so why should they be that different. I could go on, but I think you get the point.

8) Captain Falcon not sucking.
l2p

For everyone person that says Falcon sucks, I see someone do really well with him or the computer kick my *** with him.

7) Make the game more competition friendly. Rather than be a comp-hater, Sakurai should embrace competitions. They are what keeps the game popular for 4+ years, not a 15 hour story mode.
Sadly, THIS sums up everything else. Honestly, without a competative scene, people would still have played for 6 years. I know my friends and I would have. Heck, the reason competitive communities form is becuase the game is good enough where on does. People still play Starcraft, but not for tournaments.

Also, the game is a multiplayer fighting game. To focus on the competative scene would be to focus less on the multipayer aspect. Ever notice why the game seems imbalanced? It's becuase the competative scene cuts more then half the content out to make it "competative"
6) Either change certain final smashes to make them more unique/better, or get rid of them altogether. I mean really. 3 Characters have the EXACT same FS (Space Animals) and another 4 or 5 have sword based KO FSes that 1hit you if you're in front of them.
While I agree to some extent, again, part of the reason why they re the same is because the characters are similar where it makes sence. Wolf's is a bit off though.
5) Smarten the AI. I mean like get professional smashers to help work on them to make them as human like as possible.
See, it's about competition, which the game isn't about (the competative scene I mean).

Of course, I wouldn't mind them being smarter. They are more skilled then any human, being able to ukemi off of everything and perfect guard like no tomorrow, but are dumb as a rock.

Again, it's a matter of your in the wrong boat. Smash is about crazy multiplayer action. So, as such, there needs to be some craziness. These stages are part of what makes the game fun.

Why do you think Temple came back and was it's own update? Becuase people loved this stage. It was eally hard to die in and made for fun stock matches. People like the "unfairly campable, too large, or have stupid, arbitrary things in the background that can KO you very easily" stages.

2) Fix certain characters' recoveries. The Space Animals can't grab a ledge while facing backwards.
Part o that is for balanced. Wolf especially.

You are sadly misinformed.

First off, balance. The game is designed with 4 player battles in mind. 4. Not 2. The reason the Smash games have never been perfectly balanced is becuase tournamant play forces the game into it. The characters are designed to be playable. To be able to be picked up and used under skilled hands. Why else are characters like Falcon and Ganondorf still usable compared to Mewtwo and Pichu. Because these characters weren't designed based on match ups but instead on playability. So, the game is unbalanced because the game is cut down. You are playing a gimped game.

4 player battles are where the balance is at. If you could fly the world and find everyone who plays smash, you'd see people using lots of different characters, and using them well. Heck, people could play as Pichu for god sake. Reason is that they are playing the game with a lot less restrictions. More items, stages and 4 player battles. The game all of a sudden becomes a balanced playing field where everyone has an equal chance.

And I still wonder how few people have realized this. Did anyone bother to read Fox's trophy back in Melee? It says it right there "He is better at one-on-one fights". No wonder he was Top Tier. He should have been as they are playing in his world. This is why Smash becomes imbalanced. Meta-Knight should be top as he is a one-on-one fighter.

Another reason why you will see "overpowered" and "underpowered" is becuase the tournament scene was here already. In Melee, the bottom tier was small becuase everyone was playing with many different characters. People didn't know who was "great" or "suck" yet, so they played everyone. As it evolved though, everyone jumped on the top tier bandwagon. Thus, the characters who were ignored got lower and lower. How else can you explain the bottom tier going from 3 to 8 characters. Brawl has a tournament scene now, so people, instead of playing many different characters, play Snakes and Meta-Knights. Part of the reason these guys dominate the tournaments is becuase they are the only ones there.

So, in the end, it becomes a vicious cycle. All the lowbies get ignored, despite the fact they could have some unlocked potential we don't know about. Need more proof? Look at the "Advance techs" in Brawl. Wavebouncing came from Lucas and Meta-Knight has the infinite cape.
No problem. People do this all the time.

Big-Cat

Challenge accepted.
NNID
KumaOso
3DS FC
1590-4853-0104
I don't think it's been mentioned here, but for SSB4, we really need an original intro. 64 and Melee were flat out original footage (minus some gameplay clips), but Brawl's is a flat out disappointment since it's just a poorly edited AMV.

Chief Mendez

Smash Master
I don't think it's been mentioned here, but for SSB4, we really need an original intro. 64 and Melee were flat out original footage (minus some gameplay clips), but Brawl's is a flat out disappointment since it's just a poorly edited AMV.
I know, right?

Playing Brawl for the first time was still awesome, but I was really expecting a lot more from the opening cinema. I still watch the Melee and 64 intros every now and then, but I've only watched the Brawl intro all the way through once.

SkylerOcon

Tiny Dancer
Playing Brawl for the first time was still awesome, but I was really expecting a lot more from the opening cinema. I still watch the Melee and 64 intros every now and then, but I've only watched the Brawl intro all the way through once.
Seconded. .

drag0nscythe

Smash Master
Yes. Yesyesyes.

I went ahead and left a comment on there, giving the person a few pointers. I didn't really like the ideas of Stafy or Diskun (sorry, hemightbegiant).
I saw the comments. Thanks.
I will comment them here, and later on deviant (Not now, getting ready for sleep.)

You mentioned costumes. I included them. Everything (or almost everything) is a button in that flash. Click on it and you will go to a characters page. There are three tabs. Main, Transformations, Costumes.

If I though of one, it is there.

As for Jiggs, her popularity has drastically fallen. If it was not for the fact that she was in the N64 game, I bet she would have been cut from brawl. Because of that, I see her as more of a clinging character (Holding on because she was just there.) Because of this, I put her in a trainer.

I will comment on the others later.
Oh ans thanks for the Ganondorf moveset. Can I use it?

SkylerOcon

Tiny Dancer
You have permission to use the Ganon moveset.

Also, Jigglypuff is still hugely popular. Not in America, but in Japan. And in the eyes of Nintendo, Japan comes first when it comes to smash. Jigglypuff still holds giant popularity there. So, she will stay. Don't get me wrong -- I've always wanted a second Pokemon trainer. But, I think it should rep the more recent gens, and not replace Jigglypuff.

Big-Cat

Challenge accepted.
NNID
KumaOso
3DS FC
1590-4853-0104
I know, right?

I've watched the intro a few times. Although, most of them are because my little sister wants to hear the theme. Maybe it's because of how I'm doing my AMVs now, but every time I see the intro, I keep hoping there's more syncing than where Sonic and Snake appear.

drag0nscythe

Smash Master
You have permission to use the Ganon moveset.

Also, Jigglypuff is still hugely popular. Not in America, but in Japan. And in the eyes of Nintendo, Japan comes first when it comes to smash. Jigglypuff still holds giant popularity there. So, she will stay. Don't get me wrong -- I've always wanted a second Pokemon trainer. But, I think it should rep the more recent gens, and not replace Jigglypuff.
back.

Are you sure. Jiggs does not even show up in the anime anymore. She appears to have taken the second boat while all the newer gen pokemon have taken the stage. Even Mewtwo has lost his steam.

Also, the reason why I chose the rep the way I did was because I was trying to represent every generation in the pokemon universe. Since I hate removing characters, all the ones there would stay there.

1st Gen
Pikachu
Charizard
Ivysour
Squirtle
Jigglypuff
Mewtwo

2nd Gen
Pichu - He was in melee. Why not bring him back. It goes with my pattern.

3rd Gen
Gardivour - That is why I chose her.

4th Gen
Lucario

5th Gen
????

That is what I am going for.

As for the deviant art post. I will tackle that now.

SkylerOcon

Tiny Dancer
I think that Pichu would just piss people off. Pichu will be a clone, and was never a good character in the first place. To clear up more space for other characters on the list, combing the third, fourth, and fifth into the female trainer would be perfect.

Pichu as an alternate costume for Pikachu is fine. But as his own character? No.

EDIT: And isn't Blaziken a better rep for the 3rd gen than gardivour?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom