• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

OFFICIAL Sonic rFAQ! New to Sonic? Have a quick question? Ask it here!

Life

Smash Hero
Quick question: have these two uses for Side-B been found yet (i'm pretty sure they have)

1.) in doubles, have your partner crouch and use the jump at the start of it to attack and not hit your parther

2.) you know how Sonic goes back when charging the spin dash? maybe you can use it if you, for example, read a down tilt?
1. Obviously, it's situational and character-dependent. Not gonna work so well if your buddy is Bowser. With someone like GnW with a really low crouch though? Maybe.

2. Do you mean doing it out of a run? Because in that case you can use the abrupt stop to bait almost anything. Using the fact that it pulls back slightly seems kinda pointless, if only because it does so so slowly.

Just my two cents.

TheAwesomefroggy

Smash Journeyman
I know the first is situational, but it could still work on some.

Yeah, it seems kinda pointless, I can think of a few examles, so that's why I posted it. You know, in case you guys could think of some other reasons. Also, it doesn't really pull back "so so slowly", just pretty slow IMO. One example I can think of is against game and watch. his d-tilt has lag, and if you're only just within' it's range, it might be able to get you out fast enough, provided that's the best punishment option.

Anyways, i'm 99.999% sure it has been, but have the quicker ways to DACUS as Sonic been found yet? What about being able to get easy footstools out of a spin charge?

TheAwesomefroggy

Smash Journeyman
so they haven't been found yet? anyways, on a gamecube controller, you have two options. one, run and then push the c-stick diagonally up. two, run with the analog stick diagonally up and press attack twice (it might work with only pressing attack once, i cant remember, but i think it does) for a charged one. :)

da K.I.D.

Smash Hero
thats not a dacus, thats just a running up smash.

DACUS means Dash Attack Canceled Up Smash.

Theres like 4 different ways to do it but it never really mattered that much because sonics up smash isnt good.

I do, dash (analog stick forward), c stick down, analog stick up, Z button.

Theres also whats called a Buffered DACUS which is doing the move near the end of another move so it comes out instantly as soon as it can. and because of the buffer system, you can do, dash, and than up on the c stick twice and it will shoot you across the stage.

TheAwesomefroggy

Smash Journeyman
I feel dumb now. :/ anyways, the footstool out of Down-b's been discovered right? but yeah, his u-smash isn't that good, and i know about buffering, but thanks anyways

da K.I.D.

Smash Hero
everything there is about sonic has been discovered, yes.

matter of fact im the only one still learning/finding new stuff for the character.

JMan8891

Halfrican-American
Not sure if trolling, or super cereal....

Power shield arrows. Get realllllly comfortable with that. Whenever you are in the neutral position and at a mid to far range, or whenenver Pit is ahead, they will try to arrow you. Its free damage, and keeps you locked down and away from pit. Power shield them enough and it will seem less viable to the Pit player unless you're airborne.
Watch out for glide attack, it kills, try to Fair it if you can, it'll beat it out. Space Bair carefully. SHASC if they spam F/Dsmash, as you can aim it down at the bridge of his nose. Personally, I love to grab pit and juggle him/land camp because he has decent tilts/smashes that are faster than our moves. i always hated his Fsmash cause I frequently spot dodge and get hit with the other hit :/

In a nutshell though, get around the arrows, punish hard, mix up your approaches, grab a lot, bait.... typical sonic things, really...

:phone:

TheAwesomefroggy

Smash Journeyman
Since GFSJ is done on a grounded opponent, does that make FSJ on an airborne one?

SHASC is short hop ASC, right?

TheReflexWonder

Wonderful!
BRoomer
NNID
TheReflexWonder
3DS FC
2492-4449-2771
Well, here's the thing. I always fight my brother, a Pit main, and I REALLY want to beat him. I usually beat him half the time. I'm going into a tournament with him, and I want to know I can beat him if I have to. Any tips for a Pit matchup (or any character for that matter)?

(And yes, i'm Sonic)
Moved this to the Q&A thread, as this fits here really comfortably.

da K.I.D.

Smash Hero
Sometime in the very near future Im going to make a matchup cliffnotes/at a glance thread.

Reflex, when I do that, Im going to want you to sticky it.

TheAwesomefroggy

Smash Journeyman
Are there any situations where it's ideal to go on auto-pilot instead of thinking?

The only one I can think of is if you're consistently getting out thought, and so instead of trying to think and failing, you go on auto-pilot to maybe (or maybe not) be more unpredictable. Again, that might not work so i'm wondering if there are other situations or if it could.

Tesh

Smash Hero
If you are being out thought, you should probably think harder. Auto-pilot isnt really random, its just all of your habits and you dont want that.

TheAwesomefroggy

Smash Journeyman
I know it's not random, but I can see why you thought that's what I meant so I don't blame you.

Oh, and this may be just me, but "all your habits" seems more like desperation (for lack of a better term) auto-pilot. I more of meant just stop trying to make reads and just attack.

Also, if those sound like the same thing, then I know it's just me.

Kupo Rose

It's what my cutie mark is telling me ♫
Mindlessly rushing in to attack is probably the worst thing you can do next to going auto-pilot. Your opponent won't need to think any harder anymore since you stopped thinking to outplay him altogether.

Learning to be unpredictable is really down to the player. Become more aware of why/when certain strategies aren't working anymore and consider what other options are available.

If you have any videos, I'm sure we can help and point out what's wrong with your gameplay.

TheAwesomefroggy

Smash Journeyman
Disclaimer: If it sounds like i'm trying to justify going auto-pilot, i'm not. Just trying to potentially clear things up and the like.

I don't mean mindlessly, I just mean auto-pilot as in think, but only about things like basic reads, covering your obvious habits, looking for openings. Sorta like... common sense (for lack of a better term). The only reason I said just attack above is because trying those things are pretty much a given. (The key words being pretty and much.)

Also, I know it's not good, I was just wondering weather or not there are any situations where it may be good. I assume not?

One other thing, you ever see Ally sandbag first stock and **** by the third? Is going auto-pilot a good enough substitube in that case? Like you said, the opponent won't have to think any harder, so maybe you can learn some of their smaller habits.

Kupo Rose

It's what my cutie mark is telling me ♫
Huh. Situations where you can go auto-pilot is I guess... Your opponent is bad, his character is awful, you're up 2 stocks and you're about to time him out.

Situations where going auto-pilot is good... None for Sonic.

JMan8891

Halfrican-American
That is a requirment. I rushed through it to unlock Sonic when Brawl first came out. Then I found out you can just beat classic mode with a few (10?) characters to get him.
:salt:

TheAwesomefroggy

Smash Journeyman
I did SSE, but was talking if I ever do again. The story's pretty good, but the best thing is it can be used for AMV's, but that's not even that good so...

JMan8891

Halfrican-American
I never have played a solid ZSS, but what I do know...

- Begin games by either getting rid of the armor/being sure to at LEAST go even on the armor with her. if she ***** you with it, your doing it wrong.

-perfect shield. Her projectile game is slow. And telegraphed. I try to make my neutral game so close that I can punish her if she is spamming things.

-avoid her kill moves. There isn't anything else to be said (save the obvious avoid her stun<**** shenanigans)

-other than that, harass offstage and stage hug her.

thats all I have ever done and so far, never lost to a ZSS....

Edit for stupidity: her jab *****. That's another reason my neutral game is basically JUST outside tilt distances, and I actually spam Dash Dance like it's melee, even with tripping being a factor. I usually got stunned at the worst as punishment. Her jab demolished ours, so its not a good place to be, exceedingly close to her...

Tesh

Smash Hero
her jab doesnt function properly on sonic anyway so be ready for jab mixups. jab 1 2 3 will not work if sonic was on the ground when jab 1 hit (you can just hold shield and grab her)

da K.I.D.

Smash Hero
if she tried to do the full jab combo you can always powershield grab the third hit just by holding shield and hitting A at the proper time.

Most ZSS wit either
jab 1, roll behind you
jab 1, run away
or
jab 1, down tilt.

NNID
Kid Craft 24
3DS FC
3823-8516-6187
my main issue is dealing with her air game, its difficult to try and space anything in when ever i get stuck in the air. That and i'm finding her tilts a problem when approaching.

da K.I.D.

Smash Hero
thats why you dont fight her in the air, her up air beats our everything, being above her is not a good look, so try to avoid being caught in that position.

JMan8891

Halfrican-American
agreed. Spaced Bairs is about all i gamble with her. Usually, its fading away for that ever so slight range extension. And yes, her tilts. She is most uncomfortable when you are just outside her tilt/grab range (but her grab is hella slow and telegraphed). so... the "faster" you can move/spin cancel/generally look menacing and the closer you can be in and out of that range, the better off you'll be.

Tesh

Smash Hero
never seen a zss use alot of tilts in that matchup. cept spotdodge to ftilt, most try to just dsmash before u get that close since its so ungodly safe. none of her tilts are remotely safe on block. if she uptlts and u dont get hit, just fsmash her.

if she isnt spamming dsmash alot, you can beat everything with fsmash or just outreach her with bair, side b, ftilt

Tesh

Smash Hero
Yea, its very laggy. Its annoying as hell out of a spotdodge though. Its kind of her "true" close range punish in matchups where jab isn't function imo. And Sonic isn't one of those lucky short folks who don't get hit sometimes.

Galgatha

Smash Journeyman
NNID
SinChill
Anybody ever try this combo as Sonic? I've seen a few CPU's use it on me and if it's done well, results in a very quick KO.

The requirements seem to be this: Dmg has to be over 125%, Sonic has to be ABOVE you, and you below him.

What the combo does is Sonic uses his Homing Spinning Ball attack (dont play sonic so not sure which button it is...i think it's B) to gently hit you up. Because of the "bounce" that Sonic gets after he hits somebody with his attack, Sonic basically "mimics" you as you go up. Almost immidiatly after you go up, Sonic uses his Rair attack (his backwards kick) and shoots you off the map, usually into a KO.

I've watchesd some Sonic videos but i never seem to see anybody use this combo. And even though i normally trash lvl 9's, that combo was almost a Sure-Kill if done properly.

Just wondering if i could get some of the Sonic's here to try this combo out and see what you think of it :)

TheAwesomefroggy

Smash Journeyman
Is this a good way of dealing with MK glide attack:

when you're right outside of their range, roll behind and get in a partially charged smash attack?

Up smash would work, probably f smash, and maybe even down smash.

But f-smash would probably be the best option (unless it's stale or going to get stale.)

NNID
Kid Craft 24
3DS FC
3823-8516-6187
i personally just shield MK's glide attack and then punish it with a grab. The only way glide attack won't allow us to punish with a grab is if they are diving really far downward when they do it. other than that it's pretty much a free grab punish. And upsmash loses the trade with glide attack and fsmash completely clashes with it if timed right same with dsmash.

FRiSKruns

Smash Ace
Premium
The only way glide attack won't allow us to punish with a grab is if they are diving really far downward when they do it.
Or if they're used to people shield grabbing them they'll just slow their glide enough to wear your grab will whiff, and if you shield drop dash grab you won't have enough time to grab them either.

See Otori's matches to see what I'm talking about.
Dark Shifter does this whenever I play against him too, I find that just fair'ing, uair'ing, and if you can time it right, *even* utilt can work. (Though I'd strongly suggest against Utilt, the extra 5% you'll get over uair or an SDI'd fair isn't worth it.

Top Bottom