• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

OFFICIAL Sonic rFAQ! New to Sonic? Have a quick question? Ask it here!

Tesh

Smash Hero
If you have the time, jump away and ASC covers a glide attack or pulling away and cancelling. Don't get baited into Fairing every time or using some far worse laggy multi hit.

Nikes

Smash Lord
NNID
AussieYoshi
Hey guys, I'm not a Sonic main but I secondary him and I've just got a quick question: how strict is the timing for platform cancelling on SV with the grounded spin shot? I'm not getting it consistently enough and keep getting laggy Dair landings on the platform. :c

Sorry if this has already been covered, couldn't find anything about it even with the search tool.

Life

Smash Hero
I generally do the hold-and-release-down method rather than the dair method:

side-B
move control stick to down
release
let go of control stick with platform cancel timing

I don't know if the timing is easier or harder but you don't risk dairing that way.

NNID
Kid Craft 24
3DS FC
3823-8516-6187
i do either or of those things depending on wat it is i'm planning to follow up after it with. But the timing is pretty much just before sonic, when in a ball still is just about to be above the platform you tap down on the c stick or do what was stated earlier with just using the control stick.

:phone:

NNID
Kid Craft 24
3DS FC
3823-8516-6187
you can do soft hit with the front of bair into dash attack or ftilt or dtilt. or replace the soft hit bair with soft hit nair for a nice low% combo

Tesh

Smash Hero
it has, its just a glitch with many transforming stages, really if you react to it quickly, you probably wont die with any character

Tesh

Smash Hero
I don't think we have anything up to date. You'd be better off reading what we have and then looking at all of the "informative" discovery videos we've had over the years.

JMan8891

Halfrican-American
Tilt, always seek tradesa because that favors snake. Utilt wins games. Sonic's fast but his jab is terribad, grab isn't faster than your jab, and your tilts beat all of his. Be wary of Sonic's land camping, it is pretty good (my fav part of the MU)

TxB | Ramsaur

Smash Ace
NNID
Ramsaur
Hello Sonic community! I recently dropped :gw: for :sonic: about last month when I started getting back into the Sonic games, and watching a lot of Brainscratchcomms. I've always loved Sonic, heck Sonic Adventure 2 is in my top 3 favorite games of all time. So yeah, that's me.

I'm always looking to get the jump on :pit: and I was wondering what Sonic has on Pit?

Tesh

Smash Hero
i coulda sworn i responded to that already.

anyway there isnt much of anything special sonic can do to pit. its a matchup that really comes down to the basics. His jab will beat spindash 90% of the time, he cant cover his landing vs sonic unless he hits you.

when recovering without your double jump beware a wise pit can mirror shield your spindash or spring aerials.

spindash goes under grounded arrows that arent aimed down and within a certain distance they cant be aimed down.

overall he just has better speed and range on his attacks so its all about using your mobility to control the angles of confrontation

TxB | Ramsaur

Smash Ace
NNID
Ramsaur
i coulda sworn i responded to that already.

anyway there isnt much of anything special sonic can do to pit. its a matchup that really comes down to the basics. His jab will beat spindash 90% of the time, he cant cover his landing vs sonic unless he hits you.

when recovering without your double jump beware a wise pit can mirror shield your spindash or spring aerials.

spindash goes under grounded arrows that arent aimed down and within a certain distance they cant be aimed down.

overall he just has better speed and range on his attacks so its all about using your mobility to control the angles of confrontation
Thank you! So would this MU give at least a +1 to Pit due to being able to out prioritize Sonic's SD and SC with arrows?

Another question: Does Sonic's Fsmash have transcendent priority? (Like Pikachu's Fsmash and like all of MK's ground moves lol)
Because Sonic can Fsmash right through MK's nado and Pit's Angel Ring.

Tesh

Smash Hero
I think Sonic beats Pit actually because he breaks his spacing so easily. Though at the top of the metagame we have seen Earth beat __X__ in a close set.

And no, it doesn't. Its just a regular ground move. It beats those other moves simply because its more powerful. Though you DO have to make sure you actually reach your opponent's "hurtbox" or body. Because beating 1 hit or tornado does nothing for you if you can't cancel the attack and hit mk/pit.

SoupaSonic

Smash Journeyman
I generally do the hold-and-release-down method rather than the dair method:

side-B
move control stick to down
release
let go of control stick with platform cancel timing

I don't know if the timing is easier or harder but you don't risk dairing that way.
I want to thank you Life for posting this because now I get it lol. Never tried this way before but it worked the first time and it hasn't been too hard to recreate so thanks again. It's always bugged me that I haven't been able to platform cancel.

Also bump for Quest's question pertaining to our spin dash and GnW's hammer

True Blue

Smash Lord
I always believe that G&W's Smash Attacks didn't care about the invincibility. Cause I have been smashed out of it a few times. But it all pertains to how much damage he is hitting you with, I believe. But I don't know exactly why I just learned that you can't really challenge it and I just never do now... Unless you mean the Judgment, cause the 9 on Judgment won't effect you. lol. Learned that first hand on Pictochat when I first started.

Tesh

Smash Hero
Any attack that outprioritizes SDR will beat iSDR because it cancels the attack, thus cancelling the invincibility of the attack. This is why its basically useless against ground attacks/specials. Any attack that would clash with SDR will clash with iSDR and stop it all the same. Any attack that would beat SDR will still beat iSDR (this includes multihit specials that clash and continue like tornado).

iSDR is only useful for beating things that only win because of range, like MKs sword and most aerials.

Tesh

Smash Hero
walk and shield, sonic has 2nd fastest walk so it wont take long to safely reach someone shooting at you.

someone really good that can cover....basically every matchup

Tesh

Smash Hero
sonic's down b cancels momentum no matter how strong as long as it reaches frame 18 or something

when you bounced off of the stage that way it cancelled all hitstun and u buffered out a down b which saved you

Manny

Smash Cadet
A Few things I really want to know honestly.
Snake:
(1) How to punish a him when he is spamming his jab. I would try and homing attack it, but I feel as if there is a far better punish or response to what that player does.

(2) How can I punish his F-Tilt? I feel like the only thing I can do is just be a little punching bag for him as I hide in my shield. For his U-Tilt, I don't feel like I can punish that either. He would do an Up-Tilt, and as I try and approach he'd be ready to do another Up-Tilt, and then another one.
(3) How can I continue to juggle him? I would get him off stage and as soon as I try to hit him some more, he would do a Nair, which pretty much covers him pretty well in my eyes. He'd always be using his recovery and just as I try to punish him, he'd have a move up his sleeve that I can't counteract or punish.

Overall for Snake, I feel like my windows for punishing are very small and its just hard to squeeze through the window to fight him. Its really obnoxious for me.

da K.I.D.

Smash Hero
1. Full charge down b beats snake holding the A button.

2. Punishing f tilt is based on spacing. if his spacing is bad, you can unshield dash grab him. If hes spacing it properly, you can unshield and do an instant dash attack to punish him. Up tilt is harder because you only have one hit to respond to. But as a rule, its always easier to punish something when they whiff it then when they hit your shield. If you think hes going to up tilt again just move out of his range and punish it with fair or dash attack or spindash after he whiffs it.

3. First of all, stay on the ground. Its a lot easier to punish the lag on his aerials and airdodges to the ground, than it is to challenge his aerials directly. If you think hes going to nair or dair, just wait until its over and hit him after. You can beat all of his aerials with sonics bair but you have to space and time them properly, which is harder than just staying on the ground.

learning how to put snake in the air repeatedly and getting the most out of your opportunities is actually the key to beating snakes in this matchup. you have to space your up airs when under him and your bairs perfectly to beat his aerials, and learn how to play around his nades effectively.

Manny

Smash Cadet
1) Full charge down B? Does it matter how close or far I am away from him? Like will this tactic work if I'm in mid range? Far range? Do I have to focus on timing my release of the spindash or something? Is the spindash (fully charged) a gurenteed punish whenever a snake does that? Is there no collision or cancel?

2) Do you have videos of you fighting a snake? Or any other Sonic fighting a snake? I looked them up on youtube and I can't determine whats proper and ill-proper. Like his F-tilt looks and acts the same in my eyes. So do you have a video or something? and can you point out specific parts of the video, like times where the snake does a bad space of his f-tilt, showing me what a bad space f-tilt is supposed to look like and etc?

3) Does this also apply if Snake is all the way on the right/left side of the blast zone, using his recovery to get to the ledge/edge of the stage? Also when he uses his Up B i shouldn't try and interfeer with him? Because i would try and homing attack him or bair him but it wouldn't work, like you said i can't challenge his aerials directly. So when hes using his Up B, just sit back, relax and wait for him to try and air dodge/aerial back to stage and punish?

Well I learned how to Insta toss so i'm going to be insta-tossing his nades back.

da K.I.D.

Smash Hero
1. No, it will work at all ranges, and timing is not an issue. just know that if the snake knows about it, and you are too far away, he'll just stop jabbing and shield.

2. I cant get on youtube to find vids for you on my work computer. i think espy has a few pretty good vids of him against ultimate razer that you could probably learn from.

3. theres a point during the first half a second after he activates his up b, that he cant do anything. he cant airdodge, aerial, pull a nade or even let go of the cypher. thats when you hit him. if you cant hit him in that time frame, then yes the best option is to try and force him to aerial or airdodge and punish it

TheAwesomefroggy

Smash Journeyman
So i've noticed for a long time people doing this with multiple characters. If someone takes a stock and dash-dances a little, are they just doing it because or to get the trip out of the way (which could backfire).

Tesh

Smash Hero
There is really no such thing as "getting the trip out of the way". Its not like judgement or peach's fsmash where you gets get the same result twice in a row. I've definitely tripped, stood up, then tripped again.

Some people do it to "keep their fingers warm". Some people just substitute dash dancing as a kind of taunt (any self respecting DK, squirtle or ice climber will crouch taunt however).

Gamezila584

Smash Rookie
NNID
Gamezila584
3DS FC
5555-5555-5555
Hey, I've played Sonic for a good bit now and can play fairly decent, I've practiced and done most of these techniques, weather on purpose or accidentally. But my friend has been using Toon Link to somehow get around me and use his "superior character" ,as he would say, to destroy me. Are there any Toon Link weaknesses I could use against him and some Sonic combos that will at least make me deal damage that stacks up quickly to have him back off? If anyone can help it would be much appreciated

Btw, He is against using his shield, talks my friends into ganging up on me somehow, and when its One-on-One he uses non stop bow and boomerang

Tesh

Smash Hero
Sonic is nothing special in FFA, but he is evasive at least. If you are being ganged up on, just stay mobile and just try to space well and don't commit to laggy moves.

1v1 I'm sure u can find alot of great matches on youtube of the best sonics beating the best toon links.

Gamezila584

Smash Rookie
NNID
Gamezila584
3DS FC
5555-5555-5555
Sonic is nothing special in FFA, but he is evasive at least. If you are being ganged up on, just stay mobile and just try to space well and don't commit to laggy moves.

1v1 I'm sure u can find alot of great matches on youtube of the best sonics beating the best toon links.
Thanks I'll give it a shot

Top Bottom