• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

OFFICIAL Sonic rFAQ! New to Sonic? Have a quick question? Ask it here!

Kinzer

Mammy
NNID
Kinzer
3DS FC
2251-6533-0581
You got to time it I said.

Sonic's D-Throw isn't not broken against people who are smart.

Tenki

Smash Hero
LOL way to link to the other thread :p

steps 2 lurn:
1) get D-thrown by Sonic. Pay attention to the 3 hits (Sonic's D-throw is 3 hits).

2) get D-thrown by Sonic. Pay attention to the 3 hits and hold down, then pay attention to the "4th" hit (you getting thrown to the ground )

3) get D-thrown by Sonic. Pay attention to the rhythm of the 3 hits, hold down, and hit shield after the 3rd hit but before the 4th hit.

okay :)

Kinzer

Mammy
NNID
Kinzer
3DS FC
2251-6533-0581
I won't believe that until I see a video of it being done.

I took no part in the birth of that tech, it was all a terrible dream.

Nixernator

Smash Ace
So guys, I have lots of trouble with peach. And I was wondering how Bair/Nair stack up to her Dair/Fair, priority and range wise. Since I just can't seem to get around the air camping.
Thanks guys.
Edit: And while I'm here, I'm going to ask what are some ways of really speeding up my Sonic and using his speed to build pressure on the opponent? Like Espy's sonic for example just seems really fast, whereas mine seems kind of slow.

Chis

Finally a legend
NNID
ArcadianPirate
Bair is much better at spacing them Nair. You can up tilt out of shield between each dair. SDI up and ways from Peach's dair and they to spring out. If you can manage to get under her, Uair > her Dair.

Umby

Smash Master
I personally think the explanation on teching dthrow is overcomplicated. I just wait to see when I "pop up" from the last hit, and tech then.

Tenki

Smash Hero
Well, people saying "just DI down and tech" didn't seem to make any sense to people, so I had to break it down to gradual steps lol.

chaoechidna

Smash Apprentice
Question: Quick edge guard with sonic?

Hey, I was watching a few vids of Malcolm and I was wondering... How the heck does he edge guard that quickly? I'm not sure what the technique is to do that, but if anyone could let me know, that'd be awesome. There's been so many times where I could have used it, if I just knew how...

Kinzer

Mammy
NNID
Kinzer
3DS FC
2251-6533-0581
Instant ledgegrabbing?

That' easy once you understand how to do it, just simply go off the stage from the ledge, fastfall, and then move the D-Pad towards the ledge so you snap on to it.

P.S. the Down-Throw tech is still just a bad dream to me.

chaoechidna

Smash Apprentice
Hey Kinzer, thank you. I got it to work... but now I realize I really suck at making it work. Is there any trick to doing it easier? Like if I held diagonal down or something? I can't get it to work all the time, only a little less than half of the time. Obviously, that wouldn't be good for a match.. So any tricks to instant ledgegrab? Besides the obvious method...? Thanks!

Tenki

Smash Hero
choose your terminology, all of these are the same thing, really.

on the edge: HCB
on the edge: 624
on the edge: forward - down - back
on the edge: run off - fastfall - hold towards stage

if you wanna practice, try rolling to the edge first, then doing it.

then practice doing it out of full dash (if you don't have amazing reflexes, prime yourself to do it right before he gets to the edge)

Mickey69

Smash Apprentice
I want to know...a counter pick for rob...
and how the **** to approach meta...

Nixernator

Smash Ace
How does a hypen smash stack up against gliding opponents? from a midrange-longrange distance.
Ie a char is gliding at you probably from off the edge and will probably attack when you get in range, so you run underneath and use Usmash's slide and invincy frames to hit them?

~TBS~

Smash Champion
Rolling around at the speed of Sound, Maryland.
How does a hypen smash stack up against gliding opponents? from a midrange-longrange distance.
Ie a char is gliding at you probably from off the edge and will probably attack when you get in range, so you run underneath and use Usmash's slide and invincy frames to hit them?
well, yeah that could work. the only problem is that the infzy frams are very short. it could be very hard to time this, and if the usmash ends up missing, you will eat a gliding attack. there are more safer options you could use against the gliding foes, though. For example, you could bait them into attacking then punish the ending lag of the glide attack while they fall down.

Tenki had a guide on what to do against gliding enemies. here is part of it, i think...
----------------------------------------------------------------------
Glide attack clangs with every single one of Sonic's aerials, so the only way to beat it is to have an aerial with multiple hits.
DON'T TRY TO SHIELD GRAB GLIDE ATTACKS IF THE OPPONENTS HAS ANY OUNCE OF SPACING ABILITY.

Tenki

Smash Hero
the only glide attack that clangs with Sonic's moves is MK's lol.

Pit and Charizard beat it.

Okay, well, Pit's does. I never see other people (than me) use Charizard's glide attack so I wouldn't know for sure. However, it doesn't have MK's properties so it should beat out Sonic's.

Jim Morrison

Smash Authority
Ok, how does the range of Sonic's Ftilt compare to Marth's Fair?

Cause, I was wondering if we sheild a fair, will we be able to poke Marth with a Ftilt before the next one comes out? Is our Ftilt even fast enough? =o?
If he spaces correctly and tippers our shield, we slide too far. Try IDA or something.

Smash_Of_Fate

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Babael_Of_Fate
3DS FC
1134-7601-5121
I was wondering if you guys have any tips on preforming an easier Spin Shot with the SD. Anytime I want to use the Spin Shot I use the ASC + C-Stick in the direction Sonic is facing and it never fails. I'm so used to doing it that way that I taught myself how to not FF while I'm doing that move. Then I read the Sonic guides and learned that you can Spin Shot out of a SD but I'm not quite getting the timing correct for it. I wanted to ask if you guys knew a different or easier way to do the Spin Shot out of the SD since the way I preform a Spin Shot is not listed in any of the guides I've read so far. (Sorry for slightly repeating myself)

Kinzer

Mammy
NNID
Kinzer
3DS FC
2251-6533-0581
Just don't try to use the C-Stick to propel yourself forward as soon as you initiate a SpinDash, there's some window of time before you can use the SDSS, or otherwise you might end up accidentally jump-canceling/VSDJing.

~TBS~

Smash Champion
Rolling around at the speed of Sound, Maryland.
Been doing this for a while, need confirmation

At low %'s, Sonic combos are the coolest things. But, this isnt a combo per se, just something to do.

If i bair at low % into grab, is the grab inescapable? I have done this to a lot of people, and they seem to get caught by it. I just want confirmation on this.

Camalange

BRoomer
NNID
Camalange
3DS FC
1160-9836-5007
Switch FC
SW-4197-1438-9208
D:

At low %'s, Sonic combos are the coolest things. But, this isnt a combo per se, just something to do.

If i bair at low % into grab, is the grab inescapable? I have done this to a lot of people, and they seem to get caught by it. I just want confirmation on this.
I said months ago in Kojin's thread that Sourspot Bair can combo into grab and ftilt at low percents >_>

Then I posted videos of me doing it >_>

And no one really said anything ;_;

Hey Jaybee, I have videos up of me doing some grab-throw shenanigans.

Here's a taste.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W8ZTPHxHG64&feature=channel_page
1:36-1:41
-44% damage was dealt there, thanks to the sourspot Bair.

Speaking of which, people should use sourspot (SS) Bair. It's ridiculously awesome. Especially at low percents, because you can do what I did in that video...lol

SS Bair (Must be FF) > Input Run > Grab + Throw of Choice.

If you connect with a SS Bair close to the ground, and input a run + grab immediatly upon landing...it's a guaranteed grab. Not too sure if this is known already, but it's so ****.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZFK8BiX8TmI&feature=channel_page
0:25-0:30
-Not as good as the last one, but still shows exactly what I'm referring to.

:093:

:093:

Kinzer

Mammy
NNID
Kinzer
3DS FC
2251-6533-0581
I usually just FTilt/DA out of a sourspot (or maybe not) Bair at low %ages.

I already knew and I didn't know if anybody else did, so I didn't want to repeat old info.

We gotta get futuristic.

Kinzer

Mammy
NNID
Kinzer
3DS FC
2251-6533-0581
I find Uair to do a really good job of hitting people above, but otherwise you don't can't plank with Sonic.

You can also do Side-B to jump-canceled Bair if you wish, though you better hope you don't have to use the Spring since as you would obviously know this takes your jump.

Top Bottom