• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

OFFICIAL Sonic rFAQ! New to Sonic? Have a quick question? Ask it here!

Nixernator

Smash Ace
Sooo Dash dance pivot? I've read the guides, but I don't really get the inputs. Is it important to learn atm? And if so how do you do it lol.
Also why does no one regular dash dance with sonic?

JayBee

Smash Champion
NNID
jamesbrownjrva
think of DDP as a foxtrot followed by a quick dash dance (forward then back), then repeat with the foxtrot in that new direction. DDP hasn't been accepted yet as something you must learn yet, but with sonic's unique animation its the closest thing to melee sonic has, and its pretty close.

Espy is probably the most known sonic that DDP's in matches, I also do them. you'd be suprised how many good sonic's don't use it. as of right now, from what i've seen, I'm the only sonic on the boards that utilizes Dashdancing and Dash Dance Pivot in tandem.

everyone else is too slow.

Nixernator

Smash Ace
Haha yeah, I kinda gave up on DDP and just stick to regular Dash dancing (at the most inappropriate times lol).
Thanks for clearing that up lol I never got the stick inputs and timing, I'll start working on it again.

~TBS~

Smash Champion
Rolling around at the speed of Sound, Maryland.
think of DDP as a foxtrot followed by a quick dash dance (forward then back), then repeat with the foxtrot in that new direction. DDP hasn't been accepted yet as something you must learn yet, but with sonic's unique animation its the closest thing to melee sonic has, and its pretty close.

Espy is probably the most known sonic that DDP's in matches, I also do them. you'd be suprised how many good sonic's don't use it. as of right now, from what i've seen, I'm the only sonic on the boards that utilizes Dashdancing and Dash Dance Pivot in tandem.

everyone else is too slow.
I use DDP too...lol Kojin. I dont dash dance much, but i do DDP. I mix it in with Sonic's dash turn around animation to really get into the opponents mind. But, DDP isnt something that is needed, but it can be fun to experiment around with it and put it into your game.

It depends on your playstyle are Sonic IMO. It might not mesh with your style and mess you up entirely. I think i works pretty fine for me, though.

Orange_Soda_Man

Smash Ace
How important is it, ya think, to use the C-stick for aerials? It's a little tough for me since I have tap jump off.

Browny

Smash Hater
I cstik pretty much every aerial unless its an SHfair an an approach or nair. like literally, everything. Its just so helpful to do any aerial while maintaining all your momentum from moving with the control stick

Chis

Finally a legend
NNID
ArcadianPirate
Come on guize, SBR put Sonic up 8 places. Let's leave that thread as a bad dream.

:071:

Sagen du Smash

Smash Journeyman
I'm having a lot of trouble consistently landing grabs as Sonic. I use Shield Cancel grab attempts and ASC's. What do you guys find is the best way to get in grabs (the method that tends to work the most)?

Camalange

BRoomer
NNID
Camalange
3DS FC
1160-9836-5007
Switch FC
SW-4197-1438-9208
I agree with DJ. I C-stick all aerials except for Nair or an approaching Fair. It's too good.

@Sagen - Please refrain from double posting. There's an edit button.

When getting a grab...run close enough to the opposite character so Sonic's grab range reaches and hit Z. lol, it's really just a matter of understanding the spacing between you and your opponent...and how fast Sonic is.

:093:

Kinzer

Mammy
NNID
Kinzer
3DS FC
2251-6533-0581
I've always been saying how the Diddy MU was even (at top level play (this means no getting ***** by Nanerz since you should know how to handle them at this type of play), or even giving the edge to Sonic since he has an easier time killing, due to popular belief).

This is not the thread to discuss that though.

BSP

Smash Legend
I heard that Sonic has a move to stop his momentum when hit. Is this true? If yes, which move?

infomon

Smash Scientist
Both down-B and side-B work, but down-B is better (because side-B pushes us a little away from the stage during its charging state; and down-B can release slightly quicker than side-B).

It's not quite as good as G&W's bucket, but it's pretty freaking good; I survive with it lots!

Camalange

BRoomer
NNID
Camalange
3DS FC
1160-9836-5007
Switch FC
SW-4197-1438-9208
So, I have this match against a Meta and I used DownB IMMEDIATLEY after getting hit from shuttle loop, removing all momentum and i was able to hit him.

Well, I didnt him cuz he used glide attack and it clanked, but you get what I'm saying. I hope to get that match up soon to show you guys.

It's crazy.

sonicisbroken

infomon

Smash Scientist
You shouldn't have been able to use it immediately after. Did you hit the stage or a wall/ceiling perhaps somehow?? :psycho:

vid want!

Camalange

BRoomer
NNID
Camalange
3DS FC
1160-9836-5007
Switch FC
SW-4197-1438-9208
The closest thing in the vicinity was a platform..

It's really odd, I hope to have the video up ASAP :/

Tenki

Smash Hero
but Ganon's up-B has like, 0 hitstun. MK's up-B is a different matter, I think.

Browny

Smash Hater
So today on 3 player wifi i used homing attack, it locked onto one enemy and while travelling towards him, it stopped dead and did a complete 180* to lock on to the other player.

the other guys in the match both noticed the same thing.

??

Kinzer

Mammy
NNID
Kinzer
3DS FC
2251-6533-0581
Tenki ovuhlook'd sumting when he made Sawnik?

Although HA is still garbage, this needs to be looked into.

Tenki

Smash Hero
as long as it's not one of those side-B/HA mixups again, go for it lol.

Kinzer

Mammy
NNID
Kinzer
3DS FC
2251-6533-0581
What Homing Attack mix-ups?

Unless you were talking about using Homing Attack to throw off your opponents, in which case you perobably could've done something else.

Eh but I'm just being a b**** here, it does throw off people... bad people anyway... which somehow happens to be everybody...

Tenki

Smash Hero
What Homing Attack mix-ups?

more like

"i just cancelled HA's startup with double jump!"
[tests again]
"nvm, i just double jumped side-B right away"

but this really sounds like it could be legit

unless Sonic got hit by like wolf N-air and redid HA in another direction lol. but that's not likely.

Camalange

BRoomer
NNID
Camalange
3DS FC
1160-9836-5007
Switch FC
SW-4197-1438-9208
djb for paint pro.

^_^

But that is really interesting if it did a whole loop like that.

Jim Morrison

Smash Authority
Wow DJB you use Paint too for making images.

High 5 *****.

Also, you're making no sense to me.

Here's my $0.02:
You were close to a platform. You might've ended your HA right before you hit the platform, but the momentum makes you go off the platform (like L-canceling on platform edges in melee) and you were able to do another HA very quickly.

But I'm probably wrong.

Browny

Smash Hater
picture is not exact, i definitely did not come into contact with any platforms when it reversed direction. it happened beneath the middle platform

Nixernator

Smash Ace
Thats what pretty much everyone who doesn't know sonic calls all his move.
"ZOMG what is that crazy spin ball attack?"
"WTH your spin ball was different this time"
etc etc

Tesh

Smash Hero
Maybe I am being dim here but if that picture depicts the characters you were facing as well as the locations, you were descending upon the master of vertical windboxes. I guess there is no way you would have missed him using Up B and I don't see why he would short hop Uair.
Does anything else from GnW create a vertical push upwards?

Was the homing attack sound doubled or extended?

Did the animation last longer for you to do this loop or did it speed up?

If the sound was different you might have altered the attack somehow. If it wasn't different, maybe you didn't change anything and someone else did.

thecatinthehat

Smash Master
Upon observing your image, I have come up with a theory.

That loop-de-loop is actually TWO Homing Attacks.

The initial one missed and you immediately edge-canceled the post-lag. Then you must've pressed B again to initiate ANOTHER Homing Attack.

---

f*ck, I just read Gf's post. the dutch n**** actually beat me to it. D:

Well I spent a good amount of time typing this up (two minutes :o) so I'm gonna post it anyway.

Browny

Smash Hater
at first I thought G&W up-b couldnt have been the cause since his upb sends you very high up

BUT if you HA into his upb, the momentum applied would negate his upb to an extent, resulting in a much smaller boost.

I suppose that makes sense. cbf testing but if someone goes and does a dair into G&W upb at the exact same time I think that would prove it completely...

Top Bottom