• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Snake Q&A Area

PEACE7

Smash Champion
Yea I'm usually really ballzy so i challenge his upB um also since the bair works wouldn't upair work? if i time it right maybe?

Ken Neth

Smash Champion
Bair would be better cause it would push him away from the stage, killing him most of the time. Never tried up air but I imagine it would work.

Why is there the appareance that if you C4 detonate someone from below you and merely Uair directly afterwards, they happen to have DI'd straight into your Uair.

Best options are the only options. Stop ftilting or keep ftilting.

Otherwise, depends upon the placement. I would say you should ftilt, then continue with 2nd hit if they are near the ledge to keep them shielding. Or they get hit from trying to drop shield. Another situation is on the platform too where they can fall off from shield push.

Generally, I think it best to keep it to only the 1st hit once you notice the fault. But you are in a pretty bad spot no matter what since they are now in the advantage. Get ready for DI or prep another action immediately after this blunder is about the only thing else left to consider.

PEACE7

Smash Champion
I have a really bad time understanding why a lot of Snake players momentum cancel with Dair specially here in New England, I just think there are better moves to momentum cancel than that but is it ever more beneficial to use the dair than like say upair or back air?

All aerials do the same thing.

As soon as you exit the hitstun, you can use an aerial. The aerial's only purpose is to allow you to activate a fast fall. You typically cannot fast fall until you reach a certain point in jump typically or start going downwards "falling". But with the aerials, you can activate the fast fall even when in accelerating upwards.

Anyway, all aerials will achieve the same thing. The only moderate gain is to choose a move that ends quickest so that you regain control faster into doing the next action. So long as the opponent never reaches while you are in the aerial lag, it doesn't really matter which one you use.

However, I have seen Dair actually kill people as they attempt to jump at me with an attack. In this sense, it has its uses over another aerial. But overall, there is really no need to use Dair other than its simply easier to flick the c-stick down (activates the fast fall automatially) rather than have to input an aerial, then wait through human delay until you input the fast fall.

LOE1

Smash Lord
whats snakes best way to deal with a mk approaching with glide attack?

Attila_

The artist formerly known as 'shmot'
BRoomer
it depends pretty significantly on the height and speed of the glide.

if it's gonna hit high on shield, hold shield and grab. if it's slow and low, challenge with boost grab or dash attack. if it's fast and low, get the hell out of there.

Blobby

Smash Cadet
How do I tech chase with down throws a lot? I keep misreading, and if I don't, what do I do to get the next grab in? Or attack?

etecoon

Smash Hero
You need to cover multiple options and from there make more than one read. For instance you make a primary read of get up attack and want to cover rolling behind you, block and it's a free ftilt if they roll behind you, only roll away goes unpunished. A lot of characters you can run and cross up block before the get up attack so then roll away is punishable but roll behind may not be. Put yourself in positions where more than half of your opponents options are covered by reaction

Blobby

Smash Cadet
Okay, and also, what is Snake's fastest aerial attack? I need to know so I can momentum cancel faster, unless there is another way with snake rather than aerial+fast fall. I think from memory it was his neutral A, is that correct?

etecoon

Smash Hero
You want fastest by duration IIRC not fastest to come out, I know nair isn't good for momentum cancel in any case. I actually tested this a long time ago and found that bair or air dodge(I forget which) are best for horizontal knockback and up air for some reason allows you to live longer when hit vertically(it may shrink snake's hurtbox causing him to duck the blast zone or something, idk)

PEACE7

Smash Champion
Someone break down the TL mu for me please and or if you can link me to a good video where the mu is properly played.

Dekillsage

Smash Lord
Someone break down the TL mu for me please and or if you can link me to a good video where the mu is properly played.
You land dthrow and deal 60% every time. Toon Link does get up attack the opposite direction so you don't have to guess get up attack, you react to it. If he forward rolls you boost grab, if he back rolls you turn around grab. It's easy damage and you should learn how to do it.

Other than that just play a simple grenade game and powershield his projectiles. Try to catch his landing with dash attack and beat him when he's near you on the ground. His moveset is slow, use jabs and ftilts and don't care about the damage you take since it is minimal.

DON'T JUMP. Good luck

PEACE7

Smash Champion
Alright dope thanks man really good to know about him doing get up attack the opposite direction for some reason i never really noticed.

You should check out the "Everything you need to know about Dthrow" thread over in the directory. Its pretty useful for knowing about said characters. From memory: Wolf, Falco, DDD, Fox, TL, Link, G&W and a few others have said get-up attack away before returning back into your face. The spacies however have a forward roll which is not possible to cover with grab on reaction.

Tomiie

Smash Apprentice
When jab cancelling to grab, is it quicker to jab wait it out and then grab, or is it quicker to go jab, down, grab?

When jab cancelling to grab, is it quicker to jab wait it out and then grab, or is it quicker to go jab, down, grab?
Neither is any quicker than the other.

"Jab1" has a set duration time before it reverts back to the "Wait" animation. However, "Jab1" like many other moves has this thing which somehow has been dubbed "IASA". It is a nice mechanic thrown into the smash games that allows the animation to be interrupted by another move. The earliest "Jab1" can be interrupted by another move (other than jab2) is the 16th frame.

Holding down on the control stick or simply waiting for the proper frame will do absolutely nothing for speeding up jab1 -> grab. Its the same regardless.

I'd like to say that holding down on the control stick between jabs actually does something, but I do not believe it does.

Tomiie

Smash Apprentice

"Jab1" has a set duration time before it reverts back to the "Wait" animation. However, "Jab1" like many other moves has this thing which somehow has been dubbed "IASA". It is a nice mechanic thrown into the smash games that allows the animation to be interrupted by another move. The earliest "Jab1" can be interrupted by another move (other than jab2) is the 16th frame.

Holding down on the control stick or simply waiting for the proper frame will do absolutely nothing for speeding up jab1 -> grab. Its the same regardless.

I'd like to say that holding down on the control stick between jabs actually does something, but I do not believe it does.
Terrific explanation, thank you!

Demna

Smash Lord
3DS FC
1478-4225-1103
Hey guys, I've seen top players do a great combo which seems to be Jab1 to F-tilt.
How does this work? Does it only work on low percentages? Who does/does not it work at? Is there any tips that can help out a Snake player trying to learn this?
Or is it just a simple Jab1 > wait > F-tilt?

etecoon

Smash Hero

ha, I always wondered if I was just doing it wrong when I noticed that holding down did nothing for me, people kept telling me it was a real thing though

Demna

Smash Lord
3DS FC
1478-4225-1103
So the Jab1 to F-tilt combo is viable only if Jab1 is interrupted by F-tilt on the 16th frame?

So the Jab1 to F-tilt combo is viable only if Jab1 is interrupted by F-tilt on the 16th frame?
On one of my older account "xeylode" I should have a post on this since I spent quite a long time on it, but with the new search function I cannot locate posts prior to the site change from MLG ownership.

Anyway, jab1 -> ftilt can be an inescapable combo given:
1) The opponent cannot TAS SDI on jab1 (check lol)
2) Its character dependent. Thankfully, it viable on a good chunk of the cast (something around 1/2 the cast if I recall correctly).
3) You have to hit with the hitbox near Snake's shoulder rather than the fist. The fist hitbox puts the opponent into the air while the one near the shoulder puts slides them along the ground.

Regardless of the hitbox you hit with, Jab1 -> ftilt is still quite reliable even if you are a little bit slow and do not hit on the 16th frame exactly. You just have to mix-up with grab sometimes or other things.

I can tell you that Snake should never attempt to go for jab2 cancels into ftilt/grab, ever. The reason is that jab2 has lower stun, and there is no IASA on the move at all. Not even the jab3 which will cancel the jab2 animation is fast enough to actually hit before the opponent can just powershield.

Demna

Smash Lord
3DS FC
1478-4225-1103
On one of my older account "xeylode" I should have a post on this since I spent quite a long time on it, but with the new search function I cannot locate posts prior to the site change from MLG ownership.

Anyway, jab1 -> ftilt can be an inescapable combo given:
1) The opponent cannot TAS SDI on jab1 (check lol)
2) Its character dependent. Thankfully, it viable on a good chunk of the cast (something around 1/2 the cast if I recall correctly).
3) You have to hit with the hitbox near Snake's shoulder rather than the fist. The fist hitbox puts the opponent into the air while the one near the shoulder puts slides them along the ground.

Regardless of the hitbox you hit with, Jab1 -> ftilt is still quite reliable even if you are a little bit slow and do not hit on the 16th frame exactly. You just have to mix-up with grab sometimes or other things as is common with jab cancel mix-ups.
Does it work in mid-high percentages as well? Plus do you know who does it work on?

Does it work in mid-high percentages as well? Plus do you know who does it work on?
Jab1 has set knockback, so it will work at any percent.

I cannot recall the exact characters since it was a long time ago. I do recall the inescapable bit however on Olimar and MK. But, its not super important anyway on the exact characters. It was more academic that I looked at it and its much simpler to just know that jab1 -> ftilt is very reliable at any percent against the entire cast. I wouldn't let it dissuade you to not use jab1 -> ftilt just because its not a true combo at all on all characters. Lots of characters like falco rely upon jab cancel mix-ups and they are not true combos. You end up seeing Falco being very successful because of it. The key point to the jab cancels is that the time between jab -> whatever is so small that you opponent has little time to choose the proper defense against it.

Demna

Smash Lord
3DS FC
1478-4225-1103
If the Jab1 connected via its fist hitbox, then it's impossible to F-tilt combo into it, correct?

If the Jab1 connected via its fist hitbox, then it's impossible to F-tilt combo into it, correct?
Correct. But again, the time between jab1 -> ftilt is about 1-2 frames or so. That is an incredibly small window and many people mess it up and do not shield.

Demna

Smash Lord
3DS FC
1478-4225-1103
Correct. But again, the time between jab1 -> ftilt is about 1-2 frames or so. That is an incredibly small window and many people mess it up and do not shield.
So ideally I should use it when my opponent is very close by (as in body contact close).

Demna

Smash Lord
3DS FC
1478-4225-1103
I'd do it if you can get jab1 to hit at all.
When it hit with the shoulder hitbox only, correct? If Jab1 hits with its fist hitbox, then I should commence a Jab2 followed by a Jab3. Btw what about the arm hitbox? Is it viable to the Jab1 to F-tilt combo?

Attila_

The artist formerly known as 'shmot'
BRoomer
Not really. I mean, it shouldn't work, but sometimes does. Grab works well as a mixup, since most people will shield instinctively, or mash di inputs.

Or you can always roll away; it's sometimes the best option.

Demna

Smash Lord
3DS FC
1478-4225-1103
Alright... In general, what "special" strings should an advanced Snake player learn?

-LzR-

Smash Hero
What about aerial opponents? Sometimes I when I jab someone who is in the air I seem to be able to utilt them afterwards. Can they airdodge it? And yeah it's pointless since I could just simply utilt without jabbing.

Demna

Smash Lord
3DS FC
1478-4225-1103
Not really. I mean, it shouldn't work, but sometimes does. Grab works well as a mixup, since most people will shield instinctively, or mash di inputs.

Or you can always roll away; it's sometimes the best option.
How do you use grab as part of a mixup? can you go in depth on that please?

Top Bottom