• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Snake Q&A Area

Attila_

The artist formerly known as 'shmot'
BRoomer
Alright... In general, what "special" strings should an advanced Snake player learn?
snake doesnt really have any :'(

What about aerial opponents? Sometimes I when I jab someone who is in the air I seem to be able to utilt them afterwards. Can they airdodge it? And yeah it's pointless since I could just simply utilt without jabbing.
jab --> grab and jab --> utilt is a true combo against everyone in the air.

Attila_

The artist formerly known as 'shmot'
BRoomer
oh, dthrow has good follow ups, but nothign else really does.

by grab mixups i mean, using grab when your opponent is shielding in fear of an ftilt. ftilt is very fast and has good range, so when most people are inside that range, they will shield in anticipation. this is a free grab.

Demna

Smash Lord
3DS FC
1478-4225-1103
Hi guys, how do you train for teching ?
A good way of practicing teching (if you have 0 experience) is to choose Snake and go to the Temple stage. Go to the cave and detonate the C4 on yourself. There will be walls all over the place at which you can tech. This method helped me to correctly acquire the needed timing for teching.

PEACE7

Smash Champion
Hi guys, how do you train for teching ?
Go to FD put a C4 down and pull two grenades than blow it all up twice, than go to whichever side of the stage pull out a bumper and put it offstage so that if you run offstage you will bounce off it and hit the stage that way you will get stage spiked if you don't tech it or you can also put it about a character's height above the ledge and jump against it so that you can practice ground teching.

ChuckHades

Smash Rookie
This may sound weird, but I'm slightly struggling with the Lucas MU. I'm currently playing against a decent Lucas, no Mekos, but he knows his character. I'm finding it difficult to punish his aerial pressure. I'm trying to assert ground control with my nades and C4, but he's just SH Nairing all over the place. The move ***** shield and spotdodge, and I don't want to roll away to lose control of the stage. Even if I do deal with it correctly, I can't punish because he's very good at retreating from F Tilt or whatever I throw out. Any specific move advice would be nice, I don't know which of my moves beats out his.

As a note, it's not like he's bodybagging me, I still beat him nearly every time, but I feel like I should be doing better, like one stocking and taking less than 50% rather than me taking 120%+ on the last stock. I really need a way of dealing with aerial pressure though.

Ken Neth

Smash Champion
Keep a nade lobbed in the air in front of you and that will stop his nairs or have a grenade in hand that will blow up if he nairs your shield. Utilt is also a great anti air, and holding jab can work as well especially if the Lucas likes to abuse his air dodge into the ground. Power shield or duck under pk fire as you're approaching. Retreating pivot grabs work too, and it's fairly easy to tech chase Lucas, or you can abuse the grab release.

I'll use a quick example.

If you are ever on the ground, you shouldn't be getting hit by his PK fire. You should be able to powershield into something like dash attack/ftilt if Lucas ever PK fires you on the ground. If you do get hit by it and you are grounded, then you didn't react fast enough or you put yourself in a situation where you couldn't defend against PK fire. Some times where you cannot defend against PK fire is like pulling a grenade at the wrong time or trying to spot dodge and other similar stuff.

This same thing is happening with Lucas's other moves it sounds like. If Lucas is pressuring you with his aerials and spot dodge/shield are not working, then you need stop with shield/spot dodge as your go to options when he starts doing that. Instead, you need to try other methods to prevent against it. For example, as Ken said keeping nades around you with help with making sure Lucas does not simply Nair around willy-nilly. However, another method is simply just make sure you space your self appropriately against Lucas. You have more range with Ftilt/Dash attack than Lucas does with his aerials. So, dash/walk (retreat some distance or get closer) into positions where Lucas will miss if he tries to do XXX aerial, but you can still cover it with ftilt/dash attack.

The other problem of Lucas just getting out of the way of before you can attack, then you are probably being too slow or trying to counter something you cannot actually counter against.

However, I am fairly certain you can shield Nair -> drop shield -> ftilt. But, I have not played the match-up enough to remember exactly.

ChuckHades

Smash Rookie
Thanks for the help guys, not sure why I was struggling against Lucas when I can take down MUCH better characters far easier, but oh well :p

luxingo

Smash Journeyman
Not sure if you already know this, but I found it interesting. It's pretty much useless in actual play though.

If you fsmash with a grenade in hand (grab a grenade with A and hold A, then cstick), the RPG points sideways. Bottom two images are where Snake is invisible.

Tesh

Smash Hero
would be awesome if that changed the hitbox (and he just fired the rocket straight forward)

when i saw early brawl videos and i didnt know what that move was i always wondered "why would you fire a rocket at the ground right in front of you?"

75Nudd

Smash Rookie
Hi guys, i have few questions :
1) What should Snake do when he gets his shield pressured (like Metaknight's tornado / Marth's b / Wario's aerial game / Falco's combos)
2) When should Snake do his down air on the ground ? (jump+down air) And should he hold a grenade in case if that doesn't work ?

Dekillsage

Smash Lord
umm

1) Mk nado: Tilt shield up when you block, and if he lands in front or behind land a dthrow punish. If he nado's away then collect yourself and try to put up a grenade wall to stop the next nado, or react to nado with utilt
Wario: just move out of the way. The best way to deal with dair pressure is to not be in range of it, or to be out of range to land utilt and stuff. Once again you can wall wario with grenades, and you use the space the stage gives you to keep him out
Falco: you have to be more specific

2)Whenever you feel confident. You can hold a grenade if you don't want to risk potential death, but if you're worried about getting punished you shouldn't go for it anyways. Weigh the risk reward and make a decision. I recommend doing it after dthrow, especially near the ledge.

Tesh

Smash Hero
If your shield is weak, use other things to protect yourself. Move away, spotdodge, put explosives or other hitboxes in the way. For Snake, its almost always worth it to trade, This is especially true for multihit moves that can safely pressure your shield.

You should always have a backup plan for when anything doesn't work. Dair is a hard hitter that rarely works, so it wouldn't hurt to be ready for that.

75Nudd

Smash Rookie
Thx for the answers,and @Dekillsage i shouldn't have put Falco in the list. What i mean is what should you do when he makes mix ups like 1 laser then grab/ftlit/ etc ... I have hard times beating Falco.

O1DsLeNdYwHiTe

Smash Apprentice
NNID
ARKANSAS-Gamer
Hey guys, just thought I'd stop by and see if I could learn anything from the pros.

I've got the hang of normal aerial grenade pivoting, but I'm still having trouble with reversal. Not to mention, I can't seem to get my C-4 pivoting to accurate either. This might seem like a pointless question, but are there any efficient ways to improve this tech?

Demna

Smash Lord
3DS FC
1478-4225-1103
Hey guys, just thought I'd stop by and see if I could learn anything from the pros.

I've got the hang of normal aerial grenade pivoting, but I'm still having trouble with reversal. Not to mention, I can't seem to get my C-4 pivoting to accurate either. This might seem like a pointless question, but are there any efficient ways to improve this tech?
First of all, welcome to Smashboards ! :grin:
Try practicing daily with every technique until you get the hang of it. This video might help with the C4 pivot:
Good luck.

Dekillsage

Smash Lord
Thx for the answers,and @Dekillsage i shouldn't have put Falco in the list. What i mean is what should you do when he makes mix ups like 1 laser then grab/ftlit/ etc ... I have hard times beating Falco.
If he's close, the best option is to probably roll. As scrubby as that sounds I don't recommend challenging falco in CQC. You want to be in max jab range, and you want to be able to SDI falco's spike out of chaingrab and jab3(spin). Don't be afraid to ftilt either, its better than you'd think it is. When it lands on Falco, it feels much more rewarding. Probably in my head, but I'm sure they especially hate getting hit by the move.

Make sure you're smashing the control stick to do the reversal (same way you'd hit the stick to do a smash attack) and that you're pressing B first.
To C4 reversal, I personally press down b and then smash the direction I want to go too. Input the direction you want to move in quickly, and keep practicing!

Masonomace

Yeah Shulk, get stuck in!
NNID
Masonomace
Hey what's up Snake boards probably my first time posting here, and I have a few questions on my mind. In regards to F-smashing with a grenade in-hand, I messed around and found out that if you shield-drop a grenade and pick it up about 20-ish frames later and FC F-smash, the hit-boxes will both connect at the exact same time, blowing up snake with the opponent sent flyiiiiiiing with stronger knock-back from the nade. Basically a higher knock-back scaling F-smash(32% fresh) with extra nade(12%). Not to mention the FC Nade-smash's momentum changed from a regular F-smash. I believe the nade detonation caused the launching momentum to rise vertically. Move hits like a slightly bigger truck O_o. That said:​
  • Despite it not sounding useful, at all lol, and would only be used after breaking a shield, what are your thoughts on it?
While i was recovering with snake's Cypher from someone overextending too far to KO me, i got back on the stage but my movement felt weird, and I unintentionally jumped off and i had absolutely no DJ or Cypher, felt exactly like sonic's little UP-B problem. So if it ever happens to me:​
  • What can i do to remove this "problem" to refresh my DJ and Cypher?

Ken Neth

Smash Champion
Never heard of that happening to snake.. Just make sure you jump and land on stage or wait for you to get hit before trying anything off stage. Don't go off the stage and you'll be fine.

For the first thing, I am just taking a random guess, but maybe knockback is calculated after hitlag. So, you hit with an fsmash and the opponent is in hitlag from the fsmash, then the nade explodes adding damage to the person in hitlag. But since they are still in hitlag they are now calculated for knockback with the 40% instead of the 30% ratio. Otherwise, while a cool idea for shield breaking it merely won't be happening much.

I believe someone mentioned that Snake has the exact same issue that Sonic does with the UpB. So, I suppose you did your cypher very low from the stage and just made it onto the stage, then it happened. Not sure where the video is for that, but I am fairly positive that was probably the issue.

Masonomace

NNID
Masonomace
So, you hit with an fsmash and the opponent is in hitlag from the fsmash, then the nade explodes adding damage to the person in hitlag. But since they are still in hitlag they are now calculated for knockback with the 40% instead of the 30% ratio. Otherwise, while a cool idea for shield breaking it merely won't be happening much.
Looks great except i'm confused when you say, ",then the explodes" are you meaning to say nade explodes after hitlag from F-smash is taking place? Cus i timed the F-smash and nade explode exactly, the launching speed was abnormally faster than usual momentum :confused:. Other than that, thanks for the clarification on Cypher :)

frame A: fsmash goes off
frame B: fsmash hitlag on opponent
frame C: fsmash hitlag on opponent
frame D: fsmash hitlag on opponent: grenade goes off damaging person still in fsmash hitlag
frame ??: fsmash hilag ends and maybe knockback calculated now.

That is sort of what I mean. But, I don't really think you are timing it perfectly unless you attempt this stunt numerous times or are using frame advance to make sure you are doing it spot on for the nade and fsmash to go off at the same frame.

Masonomace

NNID
Masonomace
frame A: fsmash goes off
frame B: fsmash hitlag on opponent
frame C: fsmash hitlag on opponent
frame D: fsmash hitlag on opponent: grenade goes off damaging person still in fsmash hitlag
frame ??: fsmash hilag ends and maybe knockback calculated now.

That is sort of what I mean. But, I don't really think you are timing it perfectly unless you attempt this stunt numerous times or are using frame advance to make sure you are doing it spot on for the nade and fsmash to go off at the same frame.
Edit: After practicing FCNadeF-smash more, I've concluded the timing on grenade(s) explosion has to occur right as F-smash's hit-lag almost ends with the 40% ratio instead of 30 like your above quote(s) from earlier Eryx. If grenade(s) disrupt the F-smash's hit-lag, most of the launch power weakens. I even tried doing 2 grenades with a FC F-smash all together racking up 50% averagely if stale.

Got another question too:

• Can you perform an ISJR Aerial after using your (sorry for not knowing the term) C4 Cypher Jump?

Masonomace

NNID
Masonomace
Edit: After practicing FCNadeF-smash more, I've concluded the timing on grenade(s) explosion has to occur right as F-smash's hit-lag almost ends with the 40% ratio instead of 30 like your above quote(s) from earlier Eryx. If grenade(s) disrupt the F-smash's hit-lag, most of the launch power weakens. I even tried doing 2 grenades with a FC F-smash all together racking up 50% averagely if stale.

Got another question too:

• Can you perform an ISJR Aerial after using your (sorry for not knowing the term) C4 Cypher Jump?

Honestly, I'm not too sure about the FCNadeF-smashing, since before the DDoS'ing I was practicing and messing with it more and more, and nades just diminish some the launch power, 2 nades diminish a lot of it so it's situationally only for % racking. While 1 nade diminishes less and sends their launch higher in an arc it can mess with their DI but is still technically DI'able but depending on the timing it can be something notable. Sooo idk about all this...seems useless my bad Snake boards.

MVD

Smash Master
Not sure if you already know this, but I found it interesting. It's pretty much useless in actual play though.

If you fsmash with a grenade in hand (grab a grenade with A and hold A, then cstick), the RPG points sideways. Bottom two images are where Snake is invisible.
lmao not useful!? I use that SO MUCH its amazing

Ralph Cecil

Smash Champion
NNID
RalphCecil
3DS FC
4098-4850-8033
I honestly can see it being alright to use if they don't react to the initial pulling of the RPG. Once you're ready to let the hitbox go they have to worry about that and before it's too late you can let it rip and have the nade cover you once it's done and with good timing.

MVD

Smash Master
exactly, its how I got one of my f smashes to work against denti, its a super solid mixup

MK_ultra

Smash Rookie
so from that picture would it change where the hitbox lands from down at their feet to more of a shin/midsection hitbox? that's actually pretty solid either way unless you get hit with a big upward hitbox and can't clear the grenade in time and top out.

Ralph Cecil

Smash Champion
NNID
RalphCecil
3DS FC
4098-4850-8033
If you're talking about the nade/fsmash thing then it's just a normal fsmash i'm pretty sure. It just looks weird, and has a nade to make it sage lol.

Top Bottom