• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Snake Q&A Area

phi1ny3

Not the Mama
Much needed imo.

I honestly didn't get a good answer in the social thread, which got quickly buried to prevent further would-be answers from coming:

How does one play a basic control game over grenades and bananas v. Diddy? I'm having issues with this MU.
I need a good breakdown on this MU, It's tricky enough that one can't easily say it's ftilt and grenades all the way, and I'm not sure if the MU discussion on it is exactly up to date (I could be wrong though).

SeekHeart

Smash Apprentice
What are some good things to do/practice alone when you want to improve?

What are some good things to do/practice alone when you want to improve?
Control of your character is probably the biggest thing anyone can practice on their own.

You want to be able to perform an action without messing up when you need to use it. This includes a wide variety of things. A lot of the time you want to be able to know how to b-reversal grenades, tech your c4 recovery into the stage, out of shield aerials, boost grabs/pivot grabs, mortar slide/Dacus, jab cancels, DI, momentum canceling, etc.

This is what I recommend trying to get down on your own. My methods for doing this are first praticing out each thing in training mode. Try it multiple times to get it down. After that I move into battling the CPU, so that I can do it when I need to perform it.

Calzorz

Smash Lord
vs diddy you must put pressure on him all the time otherwise hell just sort out his spacing get back in position and get them nana locks , the only time i wouldnt recomend being agressive is when u get the stock lead just trade hits / play safe dont let a nana hit you

if ur trying to recover vs diddy its really hard to land back on stage safely , he can just punishes ur landing with nana to grab or nana to d smash if he times it nicely , or he just sheilds re grabs u incase u try to back air on landing , also ur not really that safe coming dwon from the air either if u pull a nade to b reverse a nana will explode the nade in ur hand hitting u bak higher in the air and more % on you , if u just drop down try air dodge diddys nanas can hit u then give u enough hit stun for a follow up like up air or something , so getting back on the stage is pretty tough too

other than that use his nanas against him , make him trip get a grab d throw and get % like that or trip and then f tilt him , and try to keep diddy off stage :p

SeekHeart

Smash Apprentice
Control of your character is probably the biggest thing anyone can practice on their own.

You want to be able to perform an action without messing up when you need to use it. This includes a wide variety of things. A lot of the time you want to be able to know how to b-reversal grenades, tech your c4 recovery into the stage, out of shield aerials, boost grabs/pivot grabs, mortar slide/Dacus, jab cancels, DI, momentum canceling, etc.

This is what I recommend trying to get down on your own. My methods for doing this are first praticing out each thing in training mode. Try it multiple times to get it down. After that I move into battling the CPU, so that I can do it when I need to perform it.
So level 9 cpu after training mode? also how do I practice di alone like setting up the knockbacks

napZzz

Smash Hero
I sort of struggle to practice by myself, I'm not sure if its even worth it at times

practice all your techs and ****, stuff like b reversals for all your specials (and each way, forgot what they're both called) and ac aerials, nade tricks, instant throwing, etc.

its good to just sit in training mode sometimes and try to brainstorm stuff

Yumewomiteru

Smash Master
NNID
yumewomiteru
So I've realized that MK's nado cannot break Snake's Cypher, does anyone think that we can use this to counter nado in someway? Perhaps for ledge recovery against MKs who like to nado to cover your options if any still do that.

phi1ny3

Not the Mama
it's an interesting mixup proposition, until you realize that if you use that too much he can get away with tons of nasty stuff on you since you have several frames of being unable to do anything. Sounds like an idea worth trying though if they're very tornado happy, especially considering it's startup time, you can make sure to do this. I'm just scared of them doing a SL and knocking me offstage.

Does anyone know what sort of actions will cause the picking up of grenades and what will not? I know that all aerials will pick up grenades if nearby. I am trying to think up of ways in which I might be able to force my opponent to pick up my grenades. Randomly I have seen people pick up my nades when I shield drop them near someone, so I was thinking how could this be forced if at all...

Kuro~

Nitoryu Kuro
if u see a nado coming u could like cypher and cancel the cypher by pulling out a grenade automatically which basically would help....or u can cypher up a bit and try to bair though the nade one is safer.

Kuro~

Nitoryu Kuro
also...im needing advice for the wario MU theres almost no recent and good vids...i generally do fine...but its inconsistent and i need it to consistent.

sorry for double post...forgot.

phi1ny3

Not the Mama
if u see a nado coming u could like cypher and cancel the cypher by pulling out a grenade automatically which basically would help....or u can cypher up a bit and try to bair though the nade one is safer.
Yeah, these seem like a good idea. Definitely want to try out the concept for myself.

ChocoNaner

Smash Journeyman
So far all of the **** you guys have posted about how to fight Diddy as Snake is way off. You're practically telling how to get ***** by Diddy rather than ****** him. :facepalm:

I don't want to go too in-depth because I use Diddy and none of you nooblets learning the MU will benefit me in any way but if you guys want to **** the Diddys in yur region then camp. Diddy has NOTHING if you camp, granted you don't **** up and stand still so he gets a free monkey hump. It's really just that, camp until you get him into the air, then **** him up, he has nothing against your Bair or Nair. Also, for ****ing sake get rid of your habit of ALWAYS double jumping back when you get fthrowed, usually the Diddys that don't suck **** will start reading the **** out of that and put you in a situation where if you don't get gimped, you're either going to take enough % so that the Diddy won't have to worry as much about building dmg to KO or you're going to be stuck in a loop where he's just going to keep throwing you off stage and getting free dmg.

Also, if you see that he shields the first hit of yur Ftilt, either you better make sure the 2nd hit comes out really fast or you get the hell away from him ASAP. :I

You're welcome. :troll:

SeekHeart

Smash Apprentice
I have a question concerning mines and C4s, in general where would be the best locations to place them?

I have a question concerning mines and C4s, in general where would be the best locations to place them?
There is no best place to put them. Put them out there and use them when you can. 90% of the time they will not hit anything.

The only thing to really take note of is to realize that anything on platforms makes it more likely to hit something because it covers the space underneath the platform, and the space on the platform.

SuSa

Banned via Administration
If I was 100% sure I'd demolish him I would.

I'm poor. I attend tournaments that cost $11 when I only have $14 to my name.

$3 is for $1mm to try and make as much of my money back as possible.

Usually get 5-6 money matches and win them all. (or all but 1) so I make about 1/2 my money back.

:V

ZTD | TECHnology

Developing New TECHnology
You generally just need to set them to where you think you'll have the greatest chances of using them successfully. Platforms are great, moving ones are awesome for your stage control. Set them in dark areas as well. Lylat for example lets you abuse this..and Jungle Japes (if its legal). You just have to adapt to where your opponent likes to spend the most time and set them there. Also you can do a fake C4 plant to throw your opponent off. Most people react to the sound of it being set.

SeekHeart

Smash Apprentice
how do you fake a c4 plant? also Any tips on the falco match up I seem to have trouble after camping past 40% dmg

phi1ny3

Not the Mama
If you land just as you're about to drop the C4 (not start it, when the article is about to be produced) it doesn't appear.

Attila_

The artist formerly known as 'shmot'
BRoomer
So far all of the **** you guys have posted about how to fight Diddy as Snake is way off. You're practically telling how to get ***** by Diddy rather than ****** him. :facepalm:

I don't want to go too in-depth because I use Diddy and none of you nooblets learning the MU will benefit me in any way but if you guys want to **** the Diddys in yur region then camp. Diddy has NOTHING if you camp, granted you don't **** up and stand still so he gets a free monkey hump. It's really just that, camp until you get him into the air, then **** him up, he has nothing against your Bair or Nair. Also, for ****ing sake get rid of your habit of ALWAYS double jumping back when you get fthrowed, usually the Diddys that don't suck **** will start reading the **** out of that and put you in a situation where if you don't get gimped, you're either going to take enough % so that the Diddy won't have to worry as much about building dmg to KO or you're going to be stuck in a loop where he's just going to keep throwing you off stage and getting free dmg.

Also, if you see that he shields the first hit of yur Ftilt, either you better make sure the 2nd hit comes out really fast or you get the hell away from him ASAP. :I

You're welcome. :troll:
you're either very sarcastic, very arrogant, or very stupid.

you want snake to camp diddy? diddy has the strongest approach game hands down, not to mention a large number of moves that are safe on shield/can't be punished on whiff/spotdodge. not to mention, with the extra boost from monkey hump, diddy has no excuse to get hit by snake's camping in the first place.

diddy's fair beats snake's nair everytime, given that snake has NO disjoint on his foot, and bair either trades or gets beaten depending on spacing. both are punishable on shield. if anything, complain about snake's uair, cause its his best aerial here.

and the second hit of ftilt can get beaten by banana oos, bair/fair oos (iirc) shieldgrab and roll, regardless of how quickly snake uses the next hit.

just so you know.

ChocoNaner

Smash Journeyman
Da srsness. :pichu:

Re-read plz. :I

Edit: Oh gawd you live in AU nvm. I just got troll'd. _v_

awsomesauce

Smash Apprentice
How often do you guys use nades? I know it is one of Snakes best moves and is pretty safe to pull, and it is a great camping tool, but I just wondered if you guys think it is an underused or overused move. Also should you always cook them so they blow up in their face or let them bounce off of them maye confuse them?

Underload

Lazy
@awsomesauce

I always like having 1 nade out. I almost never go 5 seconds without having a nade in front of me, unless I'm off stage or setting up C4 / mines or something like that. People are afraid of nades for no real reason, so keeping one out is great for keeping your space. That's just my strategy, though. If I don't pop one down in front of me, I'll probably cook one for where my opponent is standing at the moment.

etecoon

Smash Hero
snake can't really camp diddy in his traditional way, I really like the diddy vs snake MU because of this. then again I like facing snake with other characters in general lol

this quote pretty much tells you what you need to know about diddy mains and why the character, even outperforming everyone other than MK at this point, STILL has so much room to grow.

Gnes: Most definitely. I went to Apex content with how I did at MLG Columbus. I didn't really practice, but still for some reason had high expectations for myself. Of course, those expectations came crashing down, but it was definitely a learning experience.
while the best MK mains will nearly all testify about the importance of practicing and hard work, many diddy mains just expect to show up and ****. and it works(most impressive results after MK by far as of late), but they still want you to think they lose to snake, peach, luigi etc.

awsomesauce

Smash Apprentice
I always like having 1 nade out. I almost never go 5 seconds without having a nade in front of me, unless I'm off stage or setting up C4 / mines or something like that. People are afraid of nades for no real reason, so keeping one out is great for keeping your space. That's just my strategy, though. If I don't pop one down in front of me, I'll probably cook one for where my opponent is standing at the moment.
Thank you for the help.

ChocoNaner

Smash Journeyman
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4TnQalnMkO0

LOOK OUT RAZER IS OUTCAMPING GNES!

oh wait, no he isn't. i suppose he just doesn't know the matchup.

idiot.
u mad? :troll:

You woulda had better luck using any other vid(s), even Ally vs. ADHD. x3 I was trying to troll Pnes some time ago in AiB Chat about losing to Razer, he told me Razer hadn't beaten him in a year(+?) cept` for once. It's not that Razer doesn't know the MU, Pnes just knows the Razer MU. And even in that vid what I say is shown. When Razer loses his 2nd stock he starts camping like a mofo and Pnes can't do anything, then he forces Pnes into a bad position and takes the stock. Then a bit into their last stock, Razer is still camping and then he gives Pnes some space and let's him take out naners, then he gets randomly monkey humped and he(Razer) loses his momentum.

idiot. :I

Gnes

Smash Master
snake can't really camp diddy in his traditional way, I really like the diddy vs snake MU because of this. then again I like facing snake with other characters in general lol

this quote pretty much tells you what you need to know about diddy mains and why the character, even outperforming everyone other than MK at this point, STILL has so much room to grow.

Is confused....camp is camp man. Different flavors, same general recipe. General concept stays the same.

while the best MK mains will nearly all testify about the importance of practicing and hard work, many diddy mains just expect to show up and ****. and it works(most impressive results after MK by far as of late), but they still want you to think they lose to snake, peach, luigi etc.
Ehh, dont make assumptions out of quotes. Just because I didn't practice for one tourney(because of how much time i spent practicing for the one before) doesn't mean i dont think practice is important, or that I'm not a heavy practicer. My experience at apex just opened my eyes even more to why I can't let up. Before you start making generalized statements like this maybe you should do a little research on both ends.

etecoon

Smash Hero
I did read the whole interview and noted that you learned from that, it was less about you than diddy mains in general. if it makes you feel any better I think most snake players are the same.

Top Bottom